Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakistan Foreign Affairs thread

Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) Vice Chairman Shah Mahmood Qureshi, in his first press conference as the foreign minister, asserted that Pakistan's new foreign policy would "begin and end at Pakistan".

He was speaking at the Foreign Office (FO) in Islamabad hours after being sworn in as part of Prime Minister Imran Khan's 21-member cabinet on Monday.

"Pakistan’s interest is at our very centre of foreign policy. Wherever we need to fix our foreign policy we will fix it," Qureshi said.

"Some forces have been trying to run Pakistan into isolation and marginalisation. And why wouldn’t they do it? Your country didn’t have a foreign minister ─ who is meant to be your chief diplomat. This gives your opponents open playing fields," he said.

Responding to a question about the alleged interference of the establishment in the July 25 General Election and his political party's freedom to exercise its own policy, Qureshi said: "There are pre-conceived notions about where the foreign policy of Pakistan was formulated. Let me be clear: the foreign policy will be made here ─ at the Foreign Office of Pakistan."

"I will engage with all the institutions for the betterment of the country," he said, adding: "It is the policy across the world. Feedback is sought from national security institutions."

Qureshi, emphasising the importance of fostering better relations with neighbouring countries, said: "I will try to bridge the trust deficit between Pakistan and other regional countries."

'Will move forward on bilateral agreement with Afghanistan'

The foreign minister began his press conference with Afghanistan, addressing the people of the neighbouring country and their leader Ashraf Ghani.

He spoke of his intention to contact his Afghan counterpart and pay a visit to Kabul. "I want to bring a solid message to the people of Afghanistan. The two countries share a future and geography, and we have to work together and begin our long journey."

"I want to tell the people of Afghanistan we need to become each other’s support base. And we have the capability to become a good support mechanism for each other. I have heard that we have a bilateral agreement in place which has five tracks and we want to move forward with those," he announced.

'Need continued, uninterrupted dialogue with India'

"My second message is for the Government of India. I want to tell the Indian foreign minister that we are not just neighbours; we are atomic powers. We have a lot of common resources."

"Us coming to the table and talking peace is our only option. We need to stop the adventurism and come together. We know the issues are tough and will not be solved overnight, but we have to engage," Qureshi said. "We cannot turn our cheek. Yes we have outstanding issues. Kashmir is a reality; it is an issue that both our nations acknowledge."

"We need a continued and uninterrupted dialogue. This is our only way forward," he stressed.

"We may have a different approach and line of thinking, but I want to see a change in how we behave," he said.

"India and Pakistan have to move forward keeping realities before them," he asserted, adding that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has written a letter to PM Imran Khan, in which he has indicated the beginning of talks between the two countries.

Pakistani missions there to serve, not rule

The foreign minister urged Pakistani missions abroad to remember that they are "not rulers".

"You are meant to serve," he said. "The intent with which PM Imran Khan addressed the nation, our attitudes will have to change towards our people."

"A good nature, courtesy never make you lose anything. You gain friends. Treat our Overseas Pakistanis with respect. This is the duty of all our embassies abroad now," he ordered.

He added that he would continue to work with the "very competent officers" posted at the FO.

"I will consult them, I will approach former officials, academia, others for guidance," he said.

"It will be my effort and wish to have a national consensus on foreign policy; a bipartisan approach. And today, bringing forward that approach, I invite our opposition Hina Rabbani Khar, Khawaja Asif, and representation from the Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal to come and join us at the table to think on foreign policy."

"We will have to set our priorities and then move forward," he said.

"An important event is coming up; the United Nations General Assembly, where I will be representing Pakistan and where we have to present Pakistan’s case to the world. I invite them to join us."

"I have worked with the US in the past," he said. "I have worked with [Richard] Holbrooke, Hillary [Clinton] and [Condoleezza] Rice. I know about their concerns and their priorities. I will speak to them in a straight forward manner, I will tell them that we too have our priorities, our nation has some aspirations. I will tell them that bilateral relations will operate on the basis of equality."

"We know that there will be obstructions and hurdles in our way, but we are determined," he said.

"I will announce my first steps after a meeting with our team and consult with those who have been working in the foreign policy arena," he said.

Answering a question about austerity measures championed by PM Khan, he said he would keep in line with the government's policies. "We are not above the government policy."

"Appointments will be made on the basis of performance. No one should take them for granted. I don't like reshuffling without purpose," he explained, when questioned about appointments and reshuffles in the ministry.

When questioned about the party's stance on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), the foreign minister said that his party "supports CPEC".

"CPEC is a long-term project, it is a game changer," he said, adding: "Our party supported it while in opposition too. The Chinese ambassador was in touch with me and I will be meeting him soon to get an overview on progress."

"There has been a stress on infrastructure, but we want to talk about when we enter the speech of socio-economic development for the betterment of our people."

Qureshi, who addressed today's press conference just an hour after being sworn into the ministry, previously served as foreign minister during the last PPP government between 2008-13 under then president Asif Zardari and former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani. Qureshi had resigned from the cabinet after developing differences with the party leadership during a reshuffle in the cabinet.

Qureshi had also once served as provincial finance minister in the cabinet of Nawaz Sharif when he was the chief minister of the Punjab during the military rule of Gen Ziaul Haq.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1428173/pa...s-shah-mahmood

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Responding to a question about the alleged interference of the establishment in the July 25 General Election and his political party's freedom to exercise its own policy, Qureshi said: "There are pre-conceived notions about where the foreign policy of Pakistan was formulated. Let me be clear: the foreign policy will be made here ─ at the Foreign Office of Pakistan."
    He needs to be careful. This type of bravado cost him his job last time.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He resigned

Anyway, I thought PTI was run by Army, but Qureshi was directly against Army's orders in PPP's time. Army wanted Davis released to US and no real noise in Media.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    This time he hasn't got a coward like Zardari backing him, but Imran Khan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Last edited by hussain.r97; 21st August 2018 at 12:33.

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Qureshi sahab has the look of a foreign minister..... however, I want the foreign minister to just be a focal person and there should be a team of economists, finance managers and diplomats that work with him and go on foreign trips to try and negotiate trade deals and economic benefits for Pakistan.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Pakistan seeks emergency OIC meeting

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has written a letter to Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to convene an emergency session against blasphemous cartoons contest in the Netherlands.

“I have also spoken to Turkish foreign minister on moving OIC against the blasphemous cartoons competition and he has assured me of Turkey’s full support,” Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told reporters.

The foreign minister said the Dutch foreign minister spoke to him on the issue. “The Dutch foreign minister called me. He said the blasphemous cartoons contest is an act of individual and the Dutch government has nothing to do with it — and that if any party feels aggrieved or hurt, there are legal remedies available.

Meanwhile, ahead of an upcoming visit of a top US official, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi has once again contradicted the stance of the State Department regarding a recent conversation between the US dignitary and Prime Minister Imran Khan.

“There was no discussion whatsoever on the reference made in the State Department’s press release (regarding terrorists operating from Pakistan),” the foreign minister said while speaking in the Senate on Tuesday.

“Pakistan takes exception to the factually incorrect statement issued by US State Department on today’s phone call between PM Khan and Secretary Pompeo. “There was no mention at all in the conversation about terrorists operating in Pakistan. This should be immediately corrected,” FO Spokesperson Dr Faisal tweeted on August 23.

On Tuesday, Foreign Minister Qureshi once again rejected the US stance. “I know the State Department’s spokesperson said ‘We stand by our readout’, but with all due respect let me say that this (readout) is not true and is in complete contradiction with facts.”

In the same vein, he continued, “Mistakes do happen, might have happened (from them). What we have reported is true.” “Much to the surprise of many, the exchange of views during the conversation was very cordial, very engaging and very constructive in nature.

I think we have to move on. If US state secretary is coming on September 5, we will try that a new page in Pak-US bilateral relations be turned to a positive trajectory and the aspirations of people of Pakistan and their elected representatives be reflected in it.”

Blasphemous contest On the issue of blasphemous cartoons contest in the Netherlands, Qureshi said he would take up the issue with Dutch foreign minister.

The matter will also be taken up with European Union and human rights bodies. The minister said he would highlight the issue of blasphemy during the meeting of Council of Foreign Ministers at UNGA next month. Blockade of sites by PTA Qureshi cited the figures from the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA), suggesting 32,895 sites promoting blasphemy have
    been blocked.

HR violations The foreign minister supported the viewpoint of Senator Sherry Rehman and slammed human rights violations in Myanmar and IHK. “The champions of human rights are silent on these violations.” He said calls from within India demanding to revisit ‘atrocious’ Kashmir policy are growing. Pakistan expects the United Nations to take ‘very seriously,’ the plight of Myanmar Muslims, Qureshi said.

Water scarcity The minister blamed ‘the negligence of former governments’ contributing to the problem of water scarcity in Pakistan, saying India’s hostile attitude added to Pakistan’s plight. He welcomed talks between Indus water commissioners.

FATF Qureshi also held the previous elected government responsible for Pakistan’s placement in Financial Action Task Force grey list. But he lauded the efforts of caretaker Finance Minister Shamshad Akhtar, who, he said, actively pleaded Pakistan’s case in FATF.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 29th, 2018.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1790328...y-oic-meeting/

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erdogan seems to have a thing for the Sharif brothers, particularly Showbaz. Not so much Imran Khan, despite Khan being a fan of his. Turk-Pak relations could be interesting.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Turkey desires a peaceful solution to Kashmir issue: Turkish FM Cavusoglu

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Friday assured Pakistani counterpart Shah Mehmood Qureshi of his country's support in the bid to find a peaceful solution to the Kashmir issue.

Cavusoglu, who arrived in Islamabad on Thursday for high-level discussions with Pakistani officials, held a meeting with FM Qureshi at the Foreign Office today, following which the two addressed a joint press conference.

FM Qureshi said that Turkey has agreed to support Pakistan's bid for a peaceful resolution of the Kashmir issue at the UN.

"At the United Nations conference there will be a separate conference on Kashmir on the side. It happens every year but it is different this time because a new UN report has come out which sheds light on the India-occupied Kashmir.

"There has certainly been a surge in the interest of people in the human rights abuses that are taking place there. I invited FM Cavusoglu to that conference, and I am thankful to him that he accepted the invitation."

Cavusoglu said that it's Turkey's wish that the Kashmir issue involving India and Pakistan gets resolved the UN in a peaceful manner.

"In the group that has been formed over Kashmir in the UN, we will stand with Pakistan and try to make [its efforts] successful."

FM Qureshi said that ways to enhance economic and commercial ties with Turkey were also discussed in his meeting with Cavusoglu.

"In our meeting today we focused on enhancing our economic relations," FM Qureshi said. "[We discussed] ways to facilitate each other.

"Our relationship has been very strong. There is a mutual interest. We understand each other's sensitivities. Turkey has played a role in improving regional consensus and stability.

"They also have a trilateral arrangement, which we can be used to further improve our regional stability and connectivity."

"I got the chance today to thank the Turkish FM for supporting Pakistan's membership in Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG). On the Netherlands caricature issue as well, Turkey supported us."

Qureshi further said that the situation of Afghanistan, Iran and Kashmir were also discussed during the meeting.

Turkish FM Cavusoglu congratulated Qureshi and Prime Minister Imran Khan on forming the new government in Pakistan.

"Governments and people come and go, but real friendships cannot end," Cavusoglu said. "This friendship should remain forever.

"In today's meeting I discussed a lot of issues with FM Qureshi. The most important aspect of our discussion was on the strategic council, the sixth conference of which — God willing — will take place in Pakistan, and we will do all we can to make it happen.

"We have strengthened our commercial ties, and [decided to facilitate] our companies that want to work in Pakistan."

"We have a unique relation, therefore, we should work together to further enhance our relations. The security issue for both the countries is important and so is the economic and military cooperation."

FM Cavusoglu said that "there is a propaganda against Islam in Europe. We ran a campaign against the Netherlands caricatures, and thank God they shut it down."

The Turkish minister said that Pakistan and Turkey have suffered the most hardships in the war against terrorism.

Cavusoglu said that "Turkey will never forget Pakistan and its people's help" in the failed 2016 Turkish coup d'état attempt.

"The Gulen movement not only damaged Turkey but it caused destruction wherever it went," he said. "Pakistan helped us in that and we would for it to keep doing so."

https://www.dawn.com/news/1432882

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Press Conference

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim_khan View Post
    Erdogan seems to have a thing for the Sharif brothers, particularly Showbaz. Not so much Imran Khan, despite Khan being a fan of his. Turk-Pak relations could be interesting.
    Showbaz was a client for their second hand goods market..... buses etc.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Showbaz was a client for their second hand goods market..... buses etc.
    And shady contracts for Lahore street cleaning etc

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. More I get to know of Erdogan, the more I think Fethullah Gulen was right about him. Seriously disappointing.

Oh well now we've got Imran Khan who's so much closer to home.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That makes sense. More I get to know of Erdogan, the more I think Fethullah Gulen was right about him. Seriously disappointing.

Oh well now we've got Imran Khan who's so much closer to home.
    I am not quite sure why Imran Khan admires Erdogan. Erdogan has appointed family members to important posts, lives in a place that can only be described as a palace (on taxpayers money), is corrupt, and is quite autocratic. The thing he has going for him is his charisma, he really knows how to use words, otherwise he is exactly what Imran Khan stands against in Pakistan.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hussain.r97 View Post
    I am not quite sure why Imran Khan admires Erdogan. Erdogan has appointed family members to important posts, lives in a place that can only be described as a palace (on taxpayers money), is corrupt, and is quite autocratic. The thing he has going for him is his charisma, he really knows how to use words, otherwise he is exactly what Imran Khan stands against in Pakistan.
    Here here. Respect the fact he's destroyed the elitist corrupt secularists and army men, but aside from that he's not been much better himself.

Speaking to a few Malaysians, who were full of praise for Imran Khan & were genuinely pleased to see him win, they said similarly about IK's hero worship of Mahatir, who they claimed was simply the lesser of the evil than the corrupt Najib fella he ousted. Don't know how true this is, but given they're Malaysian & pro IK, I paid it some attention.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Here here. Respect the fact he's destroyed the elitist corrupt secularists and army men, but aside from that he's not been much better himself.

Speaking to a few Malaysians, who were full of praise for Imran Khan & were genuinely pleased to see him win, they said similarly about IK's hero worship of Mahatir, who they claimed was simply the lesser of the evil than the corrupt Najib fella he ousted. Don't know how true this is, but given they're Malaysian & pro IK, I paid it some attention.
    I mean, just look at this place. Apparently it's four times the size of the White House. Puts our PM and President houses to shame, disgusting levels of lavishness on taxpayers money.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Qureshi to make one-day visit to Kabul on Saturday

ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Saturday will be visiting Kabul to discuss Pak-Afghan bilateral affairs with the Afghan leadership.

Qureshi will be the first high-level Pakistani official to visit Afghanistan since Imran Khan took reins of the country as its chief executive.

In this regard, a high-level meeting was chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan which was attended by Qureshi, Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa, ISI Director General Naveed Mukhtar, the foreign secretary and other senior officials.

Issues pertaining to security as well as relations with neighbouring countries came under discussion during the meeting.

The ISI DG briefed Qureshi about the border management system with Afghanistan and other security-related matters.

During his visit, Qureshi will meet senior Afghan officials, including Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. He is also expected to extend PM Khan’s invitation to Ghani for a visit to Pakistan.

The FM had announced to make his maiden foreign visit to Kabul after meeting United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...abul-tomorrow/

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PM Khan meeting Turkish FM.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

After Saudi, PM Khan visits UAE; welcomed by Abu Dhabi crown prince

Prime Minister Imran Khan reached United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Wednesday in the second instalment of his two-day official Saudi/UAE tour.

He was received at the Abu Dhabi airport by Shaikh Mohamed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.

Earlier in the day, the PM met Saudi King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on his maiden visit to the kingdom.

During his meeting with the royals, the prime minister discussed matters of regional and bilateral interest. The leaders also talked about economic relations between the two countries.

On his arrival in Jeddah, the prime minister was presented with a guard of honour and the national anthems of both countries were played. King Salman held a banquet for the premier and his delegation.

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also hosted a dinner for PM Khan when the leaders met. The prime minister commended the crown prince's vision to turn Saudi Arabia into a modern economy.

During their meeting, the leaders discussed ways to strengthen bilateral relations as well as steps that can be taken to enhance cooperation in political, defence, economic, commercial and cultural sectors. They also discussed challenges that are being faced by the Muslim world.

PM Khan brought up the issues of Pakistani expatriates living in Saudi Arabia as well.

The prime minister also highlighted the human rights offences by the Indian army in held Kashmir. The leaders reaffirmed their support for Palestine's struggle for an independent state with East Jerusalem as its capital.

The premier extended an invitation for the crown prince to visit Pakistan, which was accepted, in principle, by the Saudi leadership.

This is Khan's first foreign tour as prime minister. Talking to Al Arabiya, he said that "anyone who comes to power in Pakistan will visit Saudi Arabia first” as the two countries share a "strong people to people relationship".

"Saudi Arabia has in the past helped Pakistan when [the country] has been in need," he said.

The prime minister held a meeting with the secretary general of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation as well. The meeting was attended by Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua and Pakistani ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

Meanwhile, Finance Minister Asad Umar — who is accompanying PM Khan — met his Saudi counterpart Mohammed bin Abdullah Al-Jadaan as they discussed "aspects of financial and economic cooperation".

Information Minister Fawad Hussain Chaudhry — also part of the premier's delegation — met the Saudi Minister of Media Awwad bin Saleh Al-Awwad earlier in the day. The two discussed ways to expand media cooperation between the two states.

Later in the day, the prime minister and his delegation travelled to the UAE where they were received by Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.

The premier, accompanied by Qureshi and the prime minister's adviser on commerce Abdul Razak Dawood, as well as Umer and Chaudhry, landed in Madinah on Tuesday. He was received at the airport by the governor of Medina, Shahzada Faisal Bin Salman, and Pakistan's Ambassador to Saudi Arabia Khan Hasham Bin Siddique.

On his arrival in Makkah last night, PM Khan and his delegation performed Umrah. The doors of the Holy Kaaba were opened for the prime minister, where he offered prayers.

Pakistan would like to play a reconciliatory role in Muslim world, says PM Khan
    During his interview to Al Arabiya, PM Khan said that Pakistan wanted to play a reconciliatory role in the Muslim world.

"We feel that it's very important that there should not be any conflict in the Muslim world," the premier said and added that there were already several conflicts plaguing the Muslim world, "starting from Libya to Somalia, to Syria, Afghanistan... Pakistan has [also] suffered a lot".

"Conflict in the Muslim world is weakening all of us. Ideally, Pakistan would like to play a role of putting out these fires."

https://www.dawn.com/news/1433884/af...i-crown-prince

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Qureshi, Pompeo meet on Oct 2 for ties reset

WASHINGTON: The United States and Pakistan will resume their effort to reset a once close relationship on Oct 2, when Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi is scheduled to meet US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo in the US capital.

Mr Qureshi has reached Washington on a 10-day official visit to the US that includes talks with the Trump administration and the new Pakistani government’s first interaction with the United Nations.

The visit caught international attention earlier this week when India accepted a Pakistani proposal for a meeting between their foreign ministers in New York and even the US State Department welcomed the move, calling it “terrific news”.

India, however, ended the short-lived excitement by abruptly calling off the meeting, although the State Department still urges “the Indians and Pakistanis … to sit down and have a conversation together” that could lead to “a good, strong bilateral relationship in the future”.

For Pakistan, however, Qureshi-Pompeo meeting was always more important, as they seek to rebuild their relationship with a power that for decades was a close ally.

It was during Mr Pompeo’s first visit to Islamabad earlier this month that the two sides agreed to “reset” their ties on more pragmatic grounds, instead of seeking the revival of a blanket relationship that disappointed both.

Both sides, however, have their own interpretations of the so-called pragmatic expectations.

The United States sees this as end to all cross-border attacks into Afghanistan, cessation of “terrorist” attacks into India and preventing extremist groups from collecting funds inside Pakistan.

Unless Pakistan does that, there will be no resumption of the security assistance that was suspended in January this year. A news item in a US newspaper, The Washington Times, however, claimed that the Trump administration is divided over whether to resume the aid now.

Although played up in the Pakistani media, the news item also hinted that Washington expects the new Pakistani government to take steps that could lead to the resumption of aid. This, in plain language, means no security aid until cross-border attacks stop.

Pakistan too has its own expectations and top on this agenda are:

Revival of the once close relationship, US support for Pakistan’s efforts for a bailout package from the IMF, and also to help prevent the international financial watchdog, FATF, from putting Islamabad on its black list. Pakistan is already on the grey list.

The United States believes that Pakistan can still influence Taliban insurgents — particularly the Haqqani Network — to persuade them to join the Afghan peace process.

Published in Dawn, September 23rd, 2018

https://www.dawn.com/news/1434455/qu...for-ties-reset

― Imran Khan