Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

PTI Government - 100 day agenda thread

Making this thread specifically for tracking the progress of PTI on fulfilling the promises they made for their first 100 days in government.

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 1 - 19/08/2018 - Imran Khan Addresses the Nation - Cabinet is announced

Imran Khan's first address to the nation

Cabinet Approved by Imran Khan

Ministers
    • Law and Justice: Dr. Muhammad Farogh Naseem
    • States and Frontier Regions: Chaudhary Tariq Bashir Cheema
    • Religious Affairs and Interfaith Harmony: Noorul Haq Qadri
    • Human Rights: Dr Shireen Mazari
    • Petroleum Division: Ghulam Sarwar Khan
    • Defence Production: Zubaida Jalal
    • Information and Broadcasting Division: Fawad Chaudhry
    • National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination: Aamir Mehmood Kiyani
    • Ministry of Foreign Affairs: Shah Mahmood Qureshi
    • Ministry of Defence: Pervez Khattak
    • Finance, Revenue and Economic Affairs: Asad Umer
    • Ministry of Railways: Sheikh Rashid Ahmed
    • Inter-provincial Coordination: Fehmida Mirza
    • Information Technology and Telecommunication: Khalid Maqbool Siddiqui
    • Federal Education and Professional Training; National History and Literary Heritage Division: Shafqat Mahmood
    • Water Resources Ministry: Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtiar
    Advisers
    • Establishment Division: Mohammad Shehzad Arbab
    • Commerce, Textile, Industry & Production and Investment: Abdul Razak Dawood
    • Institutional Reforms and Austerity: Ishrat Hussain
    • Climate Change: Amin Aslam
    • Parliamentary Affairs: Babar Awan

Covered on DAWN News: https://www.dawn.com/news/1427792/pm...member-cabinet

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 2 - 20/08/2018 - First cabinet meeting

Decisions of 1st Cabinet Meeting:
    1. Assets of the Cabinet members to Made public
    2. Overseas health services for the Ministers on govt expenses revoked. No minister to be paid for availing health service overseas.
    3. Vehicles of the Prime Minister office (88 Nos) approved for public auction.
    4. Two committees constituted to look into the Govt Estate Properties
    • Heritage committee: Under Heritage Minister Shafqat Mahmood to look into and recommend the use of important buildings likes of Governor Houses etc (Committee Members Here )
    • Normal committee: Under Finance Minister Asad Umar to look into and recommend the use of important buildings likes of Commissioner Houses. Police IG houses etc
    5. Limitations placed on the foreign trips of Ministers & other Officers except in case of high importance.
    6. Ministry of water directed to submit the report on water reserves and Dams.
    7. Cabinet approved NAB’s plea to place Mian Nawaz Sharif & Maryam Nawaz on ECL.
    8. Ministry of interior Directed to follow-up with red warrants issued for Ishaq Dar, Hassan & Hussain Nawaz
    9. Cabinet Directed Ministry of Law to follow-up with British authorities to take control of Avenfied properties.
    10. A task force established under Special Assistant to PM on Accountability to initiate efforts to bring back the illegal-properties established overseas. Task force to include members from FIA, NAB, SBP, SECP, FBR, Law & Foreign Ministry or any other individual as needed.

Progress on promises from 100 day plan
    Initiate Civil Services reform - In progress
    Last night (19th August, 2018), Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to the nation and he mentioned getting a task force under Dr. Ishrat Hussain who will initiate Civil Services Reform.

Spearhead Creation of A South Punjab - In progress
    MPA Mohammad Mohsin Leghari submitted a resolution saying: “This House strongly recommends to the federal government [that it] initiate the process of creation of Southern Punjab [province] immediately,”.
    Covered on DAWN News: https://www.dawn.com/news/1427151

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 2 - 20/08/2018 - Sheikh Rasheed puts forward ambitious plan to reform Pakistan railways

RAWALPINDI: Minister of Railways Sheikh Rasheed announced on Monday his plan to upgrade 32 railways stations across Pakistan during his tenure.

Rasheed, who was sworn in a railways minister earlier in the day, said that the railway stations of Margalla and Chaklala will be upgraded on an urgent basis.

He further remarked that Prime Minister Imran Khan’s cabinet has taken a zero tolerance policy towards corruption. “We will not tolerate one percent corruption in the railways department," he said while addressing a press conference in Rawalpindi.

The Awami Muslim League chief also put forth an ambitious plan to reform the railways department with salient features including building 5,000 quarters for department employees, generating 20,000 jobs, upgrading railways’ hospitals and doubling the track with investment from China Pakistan Economic Corridor and planting trees on both sides of the railway track.

“We will also build plazas and food streets near railway stations,” he shared, adding that the department will make efforts to claim the railways land which has been grabbed by the mafia.

He further added, “We have to improve the online booking system and introduce the e-ticketing system. We will do our best to improve the ride for the poor.”

Railway department has a debt of Rs37 billion, Sheikh Rasheed remarked, adding that he will work towards reducing this amount.

The retired railways' employees get pensions worth Rs30 billion, he claimed.

"I am a different Sheikh Rasheed, the nation will see," he added.
    https://www.geo.tv/latest/208188-she...ilway-stations

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 2 - 20/08/2018 - Shah Mehmood Qureshi asserts 'Pakistan First' foreign policy

Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) Vice Chairman Shah Mahmood Qureshi, in his first press conference as the foreign minister, asserted that Pakistan's new foreign policy would "begin and end at Pakistan".

He was speaking at the Foreign Office (FO) in Islamabad hours after being sworn in as part of Prime Minister Imran Khan's 21-member cabinet on Monday.

"Pakistan’s interest is at our very centre of foreign policy. Wherever we need to fix our foreign policy we will fix it," Qureshi said.

"Some forces have been trying to run Pakistan into isolation and marginalisation. And why wouldn’t they do it? Your country didn’t have a foreign minister ─ who is meant to be your chief diplomat. This gives your opponents open playing fields," he said.

Responding to a question about the alleged interference of the establishment in the July 25 General Election and his political party's freedom to exercise its own policy, Qureshi said: "There are pre-conceived notions about where the foreign policy of Pakistan was formulated. Let me be clear: the foreign policy will be made here ─ at the Foreign Office of Pakistan."

"I will engage with all the institutions for the betterment of the country," he said, adding: "It is the policy across the world. Feedback is sought from national security institutions."

Qureshi, emphasising the importance of fostering better relations with neighbouring countries, said: "I will try to bridge the trust deficit between Pakistan and other regional countries."

'Will move forward on bilateral agreement with Afghanistan'

The foreign minister began his press conference with Afghanistan, addressing the people of the neighbouring country and their leader Ashraf Ghani.

He spoke of his intention to contact his Afghan counterpart and pay a visit to Kabul. "I want to bring a solid message to the people of Afghanistan. The two countries share a future and geography, and we have to work together and begin our long journey."

"I want to tell the people of Afghanistan we need to become each other’s support base. And we have the capability to become a good support mechanism for each other. I have heard that we have a bilateral agreement in place which has five tracks and we want to move forward with those," he announced.

'Need continued, uninterrupted dialogue with India'

"My second message is for the Government of India. I want to tell the Indian foreign minister that we are not just neighbours; we are atomic powers. We have a lot of common resources."

"Us coming to the table and talking peace is our only option. We need to stop the adventurism and come together. We know the issues are tough and will not be solved overnight, but we have to engage," Qureshi said. "We cannot turn our cheek. Yes we have outstanding issues. Kashmir is a reality; it is an issue that both our nations acknowledge."

"We need a continued and uninterrupted dialogue. This is our only way forward," he stressed.

"We may have a different approach and line of thinking, but I want to see a change in how we behave," he said.

"India and Pakistan have to move forward keeping realities before them," he asserted, adding that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has written a letter to PM Imran Khan, in which he has indicated the beginning of talks between the two countries.

Pakistani missions there to serve, not rule

The foreign minister urged Pakistani missions abroad to remember that they are "not rulers".

"You are meant to serve," he said. "The intent with which PM Imran Khan addressed the nation, our attitudes will have to change towards our people."

"A good nature, courtesy never make you lose anything. You gain friends. Treat our Overseas Pakistanis with respect. This is the duty of all our embassies abroad now," he ordered.

He added that he would continue to work with the "very competent officers" posted at the FO.

"I will consult them, I will approach former officials, academia, others for guidance," he said.

"It will be my effort and wish to have a national consensus on foreign policy; a bipartisan approach. And today, bringing forward that approach, I invite our opposition Hina Rabbani Khar, Khawaja Asif, and representation from the Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal to come and join us at the table to think on foreign policy."

"We will have to set our priorities and then move forward," he said.

"An important event is coming up; the United Nations General Assembly, where I will be representing Pakistan and where we have to present Pakistan’s case to the world. I invite them to join us."

"I have worked with the US in the past," he said. "I have worked with [Richard] Holbrooke, Hillary [Clinton] and [Condoleezza] Rice. I know about their concerns and their priorities. I will speak to them in a straight forward manner, I will tell them that we too have our priorities, our nation has some aspirations. I will tell them that bilateral relations will operate on the basis of equality."

"We know that there will be obstructions and hurdles in our way, but we are determined," he said.

"I will announce my first steps after a meeting with our team and consult with those who have been working in the foreign policy arena," he said.

Answering a question about austerity measures championed by PM Khan, he said he would keep in line with the government's policies. "We are not above the government policy."

"Appointments will be made on the basis of performance. No one should take them for granted. I don't like reshuffling without purpose," he explained, when questioned about appointments and reshuffles in the ministry.

When questioned about the party's stance on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), the foreign minister said that his party "supports CPEC".

"CPEC is a long-term project, it is a game changer," he said, adding: "Our party supported it while in opposition too. The Chinese ambassador was in touch with me and I will be meeting him soon to get an overview on progress."

"There has been a stress on infrastructure, but we want to talk about when we enter the speech of socio-economic development for the betterment of our people."

Qureshi, who addressed today's press conference just an hour after being sworn into the ministry, previously served as foreign minister during the last PPP government between 2008-13 under then president Asif Zardari and former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani. Qureshi had resigned from the cabinet after developing differences with the party leadership during a reshuffle in the cabinet.

Qureshi had also once served as provincial finance minister in the cabinet of Nawaz Sharif when he was the chief minister of the Punjab during the military rule of Gen Ziaul Haq.
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1428173/pa...ahmood-qureshi

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 2 - 20/08/2018 - Committee formed to advise on the future use of governor houses, etc

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Question @hussain.r97 bro, I know it would take a while (or if it happens at all) for the creation of the state of South Punjab. Assuming, if it happens, would they have new elections? Or would they wait until the next elections to completely implement the new state? Or would they just keep the same MPAs and just split them along border lines. This would be harmful to PTI, as I think they would end up losing North Punjab.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmkextreme_1 View Post
    Question @hussain.r97 bro, I know it would take a while (or if it happens at all) for the creation of the state of South Punjab. Assuming, if it happens, would they have new elections? Or would they wait until the next elections to completely implement the new state? Or would they just keep the same MPAs and just split them along border lines. This would be harmful to PTI, as I think they would end up losing North Punjab.
    It would totally depend on how they execute it, I don't think there is any set law on how it can be done.

I think there would be three options-

1.) Put all the arrangements for a new state in place, and then implement it after the 2023 general elections. Delay 2023 senate elections till after the general election.

2.) Put all the arrangements for a new state in place before the 2021 senate election, dissolve the Punjab assembly, and hold fresh elections all across Punjab.

3.) Make all the arrangements for and implement the new state as soon as possible. Keep the current MPAs. South Punjab government goes to PTI, North Punjab goes to PML-N.

Option 1 seems far more likely. Option 2 opens a whole new set of complications, while option 3 will hand Punjab to PML-N and prevent PTI from executing their plans there.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hussain.r97 View Post
    It would totally depend on how they execute it, I don't think there is any set law on how it can be done.

I think there would be three options-

1.) Put all the arrangements for a new state in place, and then implement it after the 2023 general elections. Delay 2023 senate elections till after the general election.

2.) Put all the arrangements for a new state in place before the 2021 senate election, dissolve the Punjab assembly, and hold fresh elections all across Punjab.

3.) Make all the arrangements for and implement the new state as soon as possible. Keep the current MPAs. South Punjab government goes to PTI, North Punjab goes to PML-N.

Option 1 seems far more likely. Option 2 opens a whole new set of complications, while option 3 will hand Punjab to PML-N and prevent PTI from executing their plans there.
    Got you, thanks for the explanation.

Hoping that it is option 1.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Overseas health services for the Ministers on govt expenses revoked. No minister to be paid for availing health service overseas.
    Lolz this is a meme. How naive I am thinking that Shareefs were getting health care in England on their own money.

If that's the case then these .. are the ultimate hustlers. Getting European health care on average Pakistani's dime the irony.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 3 - 21/08/2018 - PTV and Radio Pakistan given complete editorial independence

― Imran Khan

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Honestly a revamped PTV can be a huge money maker for the government.

PTV covers all official government press conferences and meetings with other channels taking their streams from PTV.

PTV sports is for the most part the only sports channel in Pakistan alongside Ten sports (I left out Geo Super because it hardly shows any sports!). PTV can easily launch channels like PTVsports1, PTVsports2 etc. to cover sports properly. A PTV sports channel with good production quality should be the prime candidate for covering our local sports events such as the PSL.

PTV in the past has also produced excellent drama serials but now the production quality of PTV has made sure that it cannot compete with private channels.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    Honestly a revamped PTV can be a huge money maker for the government.

PTV covers all official government press conferences and meetings with other channels taking their streams from PTV.

PTV sports is for the most part the only sports channel in Pakistan alongside Ten sports (I left out Geo Super because it hardly shows any sports!). PTV can easily launch channels like PTVsports1, PTVsports2 etc. to cover sports properly. A PTV sports channel with good production quality should be the prime candidate for covering our local sports events such as the PSL.

PTV in the past has also produced excellent drama serials but now the production quality of PTV has made sure that it cannot compete with private channels.
    Completely agree, and I think PTV has the funding to leave all other competition behind!

I also think that PTV World should be invested in, and it should be the first PTV channel to go HD (followed by the launch of an HD PTV sports). PTV World caters to an English speaking audience, meaning that most of it's audience will be wealthy enough to have HDTVs. They must also revamp the channel, and turn it into an international news channel that speaks Pakistan's point of view, kind of like RT for Russia, BBC for the UK, Press TV for Iran, TRT World for Turkey, Aljazeera for Qatar, etc.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an awesome thread.

I would suggest for it to be made sticky until the end of November.

Remember PTI will not achieve or set everything in motion within 100 days but it will be a huge gauge as to how the next 5 years will go inshallah.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mostly interested in what PTI achieve in education and health. Remember an educated nation does not need a loan to build infrastructure.

I hope PTI also focus on tertiary education and spread a network of affordable universities of good standard. Also we should also look to make a set of elite technical universities on the model of IIT.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Completely agree, and I think PTV has the funding to leave all other competition behind!

I also think that PTV World should be invested in, and it should be the first PTV channel to go HD (followed by the launch of an HD PTV sports). PTV World caters to an English speaking audience, meaning that most of it's audience will be wealthy enough to have HDTVs. They must also revamp the channel, and turn it into an international news channel that speaks Pakistan's point of view, kind of like RT for Russia, BBC for the UK, Press TV for Iran, TRT World for Turkey, Aljazeera for Qatar, etc.
    Yep. No reason why PTV cannot be Pakistan's BBC or RT.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring some foreigners (mostly white folks) in it as well to give a facade of credibility to our propaganda (Al-Jazeera did it).

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything in written?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People who didn't vote for PTI don't get a say in what needs to be done

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    People who didn't vote for PTI don't get a say in what needs to be done
    Is that so?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Is that so?
    Let me reword that... People who voted for PPP/PML-N should wait for their preferred parties to come to power before making demands.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me reword that... People who voted for PPP/PML-N should wait for their preferred parties to come to power before making demands.
    So no tabdeeli then?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shows how much serious our PM is.

Name:  Screenshot_2018-08-21 ( ) Twitter.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  24.6 KB

140 characters from Lala's keyboard, it’s as if he’s launched 140 nuclear missiles on India.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring some foreigners (mostly white folks) in it as well to give a facade of credibility to our propaganda (Al-Jazeera did it).
    It's better to provide jobs to your own Pakistanis, rather than foreigners.

140 characters from Lala's keyboard, it’s as if he’s launched 140 nuclear missiles on India.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermoine Green View Post
    It's better to provide jobs to your own Pakistanis, rather than foreigners.
    I think you just ignored the second part of my comment.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything in written?
    Not sure if anything is in writing yet or not but you should watch Fawad Chaudhary’s interview on ptv news. It was a very good interview and discussed all these issues in detail.

One question was, “ can we do positive criticism on the government?”
    Fawad, “you can do both positive and negative. If other 50 channels are criticizing us why would we stop you”

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also in coming days you can easily observe is PTV news independent or still a government’s mouthpiece.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PM pakistan just not the PM of PTI supporters,

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

"Day 4 - 22/08/2018 - Fawad Ch hints at plans to make PTV World a regional player"

Last edited by Abdullah719; 22nd August 2018 at 13:03.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 5 - 23/08/2018 - Progress update on 100 day agenda - 3/35 promises "in progress"

As of day 5, 3 of 35 100 day agenda promises are now officially being worked on.

In Progress
    1.)Initiate Civil Services Reform
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/35...ress-to-nation

2.)Spearhead Creation of A South Punjab
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1427151

3.)Depoliticise & Strengthen Police
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/358...-punjab-police

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As of day 5, 3 of 35 100 day agenda promises are now officially being worked on.

In Progress
    1.)Initiate Civil Services Reform
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/35...ress-to-nation

2.)Spearhead Creation of A South Punjab
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1427151

3.)Depoliticise & Strengthen Police
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/358...-punjab-police
    What work is being done on the civil services reforms?

Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSchultz View Post
    What work is being done on the civil services reforms?
    This is the part about civil services reforms in the 100-day agenda:

Appoint the most suitable officers in the federal bureaucracy purely on merit. Simultaneously, constitute a taskforce that delivers a blueprint to transform Pakistan’s civil services by ensuring tenure protection and an accountability mechanism to improve credibility, in order to attract and retain the best talent in the country.
    The bolded bit is underway, a task force has been set up under Dr Ishrat Hussain.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the part about civil services reforms in the 100-day agenda:

The bolded bit is underway, a task force has been set up under Dr Ishrat Hussain.
    Who is Ishrat Hussain? .... what's his credentials?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eye View Post
    Who is Ishrat Hussain? .... what's his credentials?
    He is one of Pakistan's most reputable economists. He was in the civil service back in the 60s and 70s from what I know?

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is one of Pakistan's most reputable economists. He was in the civil service back in the 60s and 70s from what I know?
    He was the state bank governor too... I just read his wiki page.

Let's see what they come back with. I presume, like all things the civilian government got their hands on was to fill the ranks with cronies and over staffed.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was the state bank governor too... I just read his wiki page.

Let's see what they come back with. I presume, like all things the civilian government got their hands on was to fill the ranks with cronies and over staffed.
    I finished the book he has written written recently on improving governance in Pakistan.

Key Takeaways:

1) Reduce Political interference in civil service by bringing back a 2 year constitutional guarantee of tenure which was removed by ZAB. (Big if true)

2) Implement Local Government System in the spirit of local government ordinance passed by Musharraf. Empower District Nazim to have control over health, education, social welfare, and planning&development + a few other departments of his district. However office of Deputy Commissioner should retain duties of law and order (police), disaster management, land records management as after receiving tenure security he will be an impartial arbitrator.

2) Improve police morale and operations capability by giving IG tenure security and complete operational independence + powers to appoint SHOs, DPOs of his choice.

3) He is very impressed by the millitary's constant training and improvement of skills of its officers, claims a similar training track should be implemented for civil servants. "They transformed mediocre individuals into first rate human resource material while the civil services took the creme de la creme and turned the first rate talent either into cynics or self-serving individuals" (highly agree)

4) Remove civil servants from the 1-22 grades pay scale system. Offer them high salaries and performance bonuses. To reduce overall wage bill, all hiring of junior staff below graduate level should be stopped except in emergency cases.

T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 6 - 23/08/2018 - Second cabinet meeting currently underway with the following agenda

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This text has been making the round on whatsapp not sure of its validity so better if someone can confirm.
    I really like the using of Suzuki cars only as unless the goverment people are forced to use these cars only local cars are unlikely to get better

Ban on official meals during meetings.
    Ban on purchase of cars and return of all vehicles to the Federal / Provincial pool. Only Suzuki and Cultus vehicles will be allowed to Govt. Officers from BPS- 17-22. All other vehicles will be auctioned.
    Ban on recruitment of drivers.
    Collect and auction all suv's being misused in government departments.
    Identify and name and shame those illegally using vehicles and staff at residences.
    Govt vehicles in bazaars and outside schools and at residences to be photographed and reported for seizure.
    Ban on government functions in 4/5 Star Hotels.
    Reduction by order, 1/3 in the POL, Repair/Maintenance budgets of all govt. Semi govt departments and corporations.
    Cancellation of all contractual re employments over the age of 60.
    Vacate and auction priceless govt property which includes Colonial bungalows / offices etc by ** 17-22 officers in Islamabad & throughout Pakistan-to raise $1 billion for debt retirement and dam building.
    Ban on officers travel abroad. ( Establishment Division , Islamabad ).
    Last edited by Couch Cricketer; 24th August 2018 at 09:45.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Cricketer View Post
    This text has been making the round on whatsapp not sure of its validity so better if someone can confirm.
    I really like the using of Suzuki cars only as unless the goverment people are forced to use these cars only local cars are unlikely to get better
    Nothing official has been released about in depth austerity measures. Either someone has leaked this, or it's not valid.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the austerity measures planned for the army households.

Taking away servants and use of army vehicles would be a good start.
    Last edited by Eagle_Eye; 24th August 2018 at 11:24.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well its a slippery slope. Army officers get nominal pays but they get benefits like car and servants, if you remove the benefits then you will have to increase the pay.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have heard that many of the Vigos that are driven by the army guys are not custom paid, hence they are able to purchase them cheap.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well its a slippery slope. Army officers get nominal pays but they get benefits like car and servants, if you remove the benefits then you will have to increase the pay.
    Army officers are joining to serve the nation, if they want houses and servants they should do mba and get them from their own salary.

T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great steps especially the 6 day week. You can tell there are some very capable minds behind these policies!

T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Army officers are joining to serve the nation, if they want houses and servants they should do mba and get them from their own salary.
    Border pe aap bundook leh kar kharay hongaye?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 6 - 2/08/2018 - Second cabinet meeting

Decisions of the second cabinet meeting

1. Cabinet decided to form a Task force to study the Katchi Abadis across the country and to chalk out a plan to provide them basic civic facilities.
    2. In order to stop misuse of the public money, Cabinet approved to withdraw any powers with Prime Minister, President, Ministers and others over the use of Discretionary Funds. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif spent over 50 Billion in his discretion.
    3. Prime Minister desired to abolish the discretionary funds and to seek approval of the Parliament for various expenses as per his vision to protect the public money and empower the institution of Public trust, the Parliament.
    4. Prime Minister also decided that he will not travel in 1st class and the same provision to other dignitaries will be withdrawn.
    5. Cabinet approved an audit for all the metro bus projects including of Peshawar BRT to put before the public extent of public monies being used for such projects.
    6. The cabinet approved the Plan for massive plantation starting from the Provincial Capitals. Federal Minister for Climate change to share the working details of the Project.
    7. Cabinet deliberated the proposal for a shift to 6 working days of a week, however, the proposal rejected and the working hours changed from 8 am to 4 pm a day to 9 am to 5 pm.
    8. Cabinated tasked the Minister for interprovincial coordination to work out a plan for the large-scale cleanliness campaign through the country.
    Minister for the Information Division said he will be nominating spokesperson of the opposition parties (PMLN & PPP) for the Editorial Board of PTV to assure that State-run TV adequately provides coverage to the opposition.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Decisions of the second cabinet meeting

1. Cabinet decided to form a Task force to study the Katchi Abadis across the country and to chalk out a plan to provide them basic civic facilities.
    2. In order to stop misuse of the public money, Cabinet approved to withdraw any powers with Prime Minister, President, Ministers and others over the use of Discretionary Funds. Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif spent over 50 Billion in his discretion.
    3. Prime Minister desired to abolish the discretionary funds and to seek approval of the Parliament for various expenses as per his vision to protect the public money and empower the institution of Public trust, the Parliament.
    4. Prime Minister also decided that he will not travel in 1st class and the same provision to other dignitaries will be withdrawn.
    5. Cabinet approved an audit for all the metro bus projects including of Peshawar BRT to put before the public extent of public monies being used for such projects.
    6. The cabinet approved the Plan for massive plantation starting from the Provincial Capitals. Federal Minister for Climate change to share the working details of the Project.
    7. Cabinet deliberated the proposal for a shift to 6 working days of a week, however, the proposal rejected and the working hours changed from 8 am to 4 pm a day to 9 am to 5 pm.
    8. Cabinated tasked the Minister for interprovincial coordination to work out a plan for the large-scale cleanliness campaign through the country.
    Minister for the Information Division said he will be nominating spokesperson of the opposition parties (PMLN & PPP) for the Editorial Board of PTV to assure that State-run TV adequately provides coverage to the opposition.

Lol if IK and Pti are able to remove all the money that politicians can steal and use. Majority of the politicians in most parties including many in Pti are going to say goodbye to politics on their own and we will be left with nazriati politicians that are actually running on different issues.

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are salaries and perks of army officers ranked major and above? Genuine question.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick84 View Post
    What are salaries and perks of army officers ranked major and above? Genuine question.
    Army officers with the rank of captain are entitled to 1 servant. If two officers are married they also get a single servant instead of 2.

Army officers don't get a car until they reach the rank of Brigadier. Brigadier ranks are allowed 1 car and a driver for it. Keep in mind that Brigadier is the 4th highest rank in the army, the higher ones being; Maj. Gen, Lt. Gen and then Gen(there are only 2 at the moment).

Serving Army officers don't exactly get houses. Army officers serve for short periods(usually 2 years) all over the country and as such are provided temporary housing. Captains and majors who are bachelors are often given small rooms, sometimes the room is shared by two. Sometimes they given small quarters. Depends on the station where they are staying. They also pay a small rent and mess bill.

Married officers are assigned MOQs (married officer quarters). This is basically a small house or an apartment. Remember they don't own it and if I am correct they also have to pay some rent. Contrary to what some people believe they pay for everything themselves such as schooling, food, furniture.

The higher ranked officers are mostly given larger houses, they sometimes make do with the same accommodations as the lower ranked ones especially if they don't have a family along- I have seen a Colonel living in a single room. Again they don't own it.

Army officers are given free medical treatment for life at military hospitals for life. Their spouses as well and their children up to a certain age limit. By the way I think free medical treatment is a basic right of every human being as is the way in Scandinavian and other European countries.

The houses or plots that Army officers are given are part of their retirement packages. Recently now they only get a flat/apartment unless they are very high ranked. This isn't as simple as it seem there are many payments involved as well as allotment schemes, I don't quite know the details.

Also part of the retirement scheme is a pension which is actually quite measly. 30 years of service at the colonel will only get you a pension of around 45,000(as was the case 3-4 years ago). Retirement is actually quite a terrifying time for Army officers as they are usually in their early 50s with kids usually in college. They try to land jobs as soon as possible but many don't succeed. Some even try to get degrees to help them get jobs. Organizations like Fauji Foundation which are partly owned by the army were started for this very purpose, so that they can help retired officers get jobs and provide scholarships for the children of retired army officers.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Army officers with the rank of captain are entitled to 1 servant. If two officers are married they also get a single servant instead of 2.

Army officers don't get a car until they reach the rank of Brigadier. Brigadier ranks are allowed 1 car and a driver for it. Keep in mind that Brigadier is the 4th highest rank in the army, the higher ones being; Maj. Gen, Lt. Gen and then Gen(there are only 2 at the moment).

Serving Army officers don't exactly get houses. Army officers serve for short periods(usually 2 years) all over the country and as such are provided temporary housing. Captains and majors who are bachelors are often given small rooms, sometimes the room is shared by two. Sometimes they given small quarters. Depends on the station where they are staying. They also pay a small rent and mess bill.

Married officers are assigned MOQs (married officer quarters). This is basically a small house or an apartment. Remember they don't own it and if I am correct they also have to pay some rent. Contrary to what some people believe they pay for everything themselves such as schooling, food, furniture.

The higher ranked officers are mostly given larger houses, they sometimes make do with the same accommodations as the lower ranked ones especially if they don't have a family along- I have seen a Colonel living in a single room. Again they don't own it.

Army officers are given free medical treatment for life at military hospitals for life. Their spouses as well and their children up to a certain age limit. By the way I think free medical treatment is a basic right of every human being as is the way in Scandinavian and other European countries.

The houses or plots that Army officers are given are part of their retirement packages. Recently now they only get a flat/apartment unless they are very high ranked. This isn't as simple as it seem there are many payments involved as well as allotment schemes, I don't quite know the details.

Also part of the retirement scheme is a pension which is actually quite measly. 30 years of service at the colonel will only get you a pension of around 45,000(as was the case 3-4 years ago). Retirement is actually quite a terrifying time for Army officers as they are usually in their early 50s with kids usually in college. They try to land jobs as soon as possible but many don't succeed. Some even try to get degrees to help them get jobs. Organizations like Fauji Foundation which are partly owned by the army were started for this very purpose, so that they can help retired officers get jobs and provide scholarships for the children of retired army officers.
    Musharraf if you look at his Asset filings didn't get much upon retirement except for a few plots, the guy retired as the Chief of Army Staff and he had a meager pension. He only really cashed in after retirement with the royalties he received from the sale of his autobiography and then his lecture circuit internationally where he was being paid $250,000 per lecture.

I know my mom retired at the top most rank in a govt hospital in Karachi and her pension is equivalent to her final salary of Rs 150,000 which is not extraordinary but it is a very good amount to receive as pension every month in comparison to people who work in the private sector. I know a lot of people in Pakistan who are still working in the private sector after mandatory retirement ages on contract in their 70's because they cannot afford to retire due to inflation today, the fact their kids are in University or they have to get them married e.t.c. Retirement is indeed a terrifying experience for people.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Army officers don't have high salaries. Example: A doctor after completing the house job term and gaining 1 year experience will be paid around Rs 90,000+ in government hospitals like Tehsil headquarter hospital and District HQ hospital. An army doctor with 7 years of experience gained at some of the best institutes and hospitals has a pay of Rs 60,000( though some bonuses and allowances bring it up to around 70,000).

The above examples are of people I am personally acquainted with.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Musharraf if you look at his Asset filings didn't get much upon retirement except for a few plots, the guy retired as the Chief of Army Staff and he had a meager pension. He only really cashed in after retirement with the royalties he received from the sale of his autobiography and then his lecture circuit internationally where he was being paid $250,000 per lecture.

I know my mom retired at the top most rank in a govt hospital in Karachi and her pension is equivalent to her final salary of Rs 150,000 which is not extraordinary but it is a very good amount to receive as pension every month in comparison to people who work in the private sector. I know a lot of people in Pakistan who are still working in the private sector after mandatory retirement ages on contract in their 70's because they cannot afford to retire due to inflation today, the fact their kids are in University or they have to get them married e.t.c. Retirement is indeed a terrifying experience for people.
    This is true and cannot be stressed enough. Your mother got a very good deal honestly. I have seen people earning 30-40 thousand pension thank their stars because at least they get something.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. My uncle retired as s major and all years along before and after his retirement he had lived a very simple life. After retirement he was allocated an apartment. Allocation might be the wrong word here because he still had to pay a large portion of FMV out of his pocket.

Based on my experience and above post it’s clear army officers are not living a lavish lifestyle, so not sure where all these lavish lifestyle talks coming from?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Thank you. My uncle retired as s major and all years along before and after his retirement he had lived a very simple life. After retirement he was allocated an apartment. Allocation might be the wrong word here because he still had to pay a large portion of FMV out of his pocket.

Based on my experience and above post it’s clear army officers are not living a lavish lifestyle, so not sure where all these lavish lifestyle talks coming from?
    I know of a daughter of a high ranking general whose higher education plans have been delayed outside Pakistan because she can't afford the high tuition fees and she hasn't been able to get a scholarship as of yet.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a poor country like Pakistan, the health and education benefits enjoyed by army more than compensates for all that.

I am a bit torn on this issue too... army has been the only institution that has held everything together, and most if all it works. Despite many predicting pakistan will implode... and it not doing so.

I went to army school long long time ago... I could never understand why army kids were being driven around in official cars and with multiple servants doing the daily chores..... That's a luxury, not a necessity. Their wives should do their own chores just like everyone else....

Army has to come on board with the austerity drive.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am talking about in service luxuries.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 7 - 25/08/2018 - New PTV Sports channels announced

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am talking about in service luxuries.
    What are they to be precise?

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

This is a great idea. I also hope they bring the broadcast quality into the 21st century by making it HD.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Great news for sport fans

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like Fawad Chaudhry has been reading Pakpassion

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Fawad Chaudhry has been reading Pakpassion
    Or @Mian sahab is briefing him, or maybe they are both same ppl.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Or @Mian sahab is briefing him, or maybe they are both same ppl.
    Pakpassion conspiracy theories 101

"@Mian is Fawad Chaudhry's Pakpassion consultant relaying him the latest of PP"

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakpassion conspiracy theories 101

"@Mian is Fawad Chaudhry's Pakpassion consultant relaying him the latest of PP"
    Hahaha. Jokes aside, is there any federal sports ministry, if so, who’s the federal minister of sports?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any new thing done today??

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Any new thing done today??
    Nothing much. Today there was a party meeting in Banigala to discuss the bye-elections and the presidential election. I guess that nothing much happened due to it being Sunday.

I would expect tomorrow to be more eventful. Tuesday will definitely be interesting, with the third cabinet meeting scheduled.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol people eagerly keep an eye on each and every PTI Govt day, was never the same with PML-N or PPP where they just desperately prayed for the following

- For the govt to be dismissed by the President via 58-2B

- For the army to take over

- For the next 5 years to be fast forwarded somehow

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th August 2018 at 10:06.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks fake, 24th August was a Friday.

T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks fake, 24th August was a Friday.
    True ... Top right says 27th though. Weird, but there hasn't been news about the cabinet meeting today, so it could be fake.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All I see is constitution of task forces and nothing concrete

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Watching Sheikh Rashid interview and he is a totally clueless. He is given biggest public sector organization in Pakistan.

His plan is to introduce standard gauge(Lol we won't that much cash to overhaul the whole infrastructure and this will never happen)
    Transfer all pension to federal government(what difference will it make?).
    Sell state land
    and many other absurd ideas

All these austerity drives are useless we stop leaking billion of rupees from these public organization and he doesn't sound like the right man to change anything.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Watching Sheikh Rashid interview and he is a totally clueless. He is given biggest public sector organization in Pakistan.

His plan is to introduce standard gauge(Lol we won't that much cash to overhaul the whole infrastructure and this will never happen)
    Transfer all pension to federal government(what difference will it make?).
    Sell state land
    and many other absurd ideas

All these austerity drives are useless we stop leaking billion of rupees from these public organization and he doesn't sound like the right man to change anything.
    Well he has a point. Our rail lines are nonstandard and when we import locomotives we have to perform expensive mods on them just to get them to run.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well he has a point. Our rail lines are nonstandard and when we import locomotives we have to perform expensive mods on them just to get them to run.
    Well he has a point but we don't have the cash. We have to change everything and certainly this isn't possible with situation we are in.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Day 10 - 29/08/2018 - Third cabinet meeting

Decisions taken in the 3rd cabinet meeting
    1. Cabinet approved to remove President & CEO of the NBP and approved the appointment of new bosses for NACTA, FBR and IB.
    2. Cabinet approved to amend the NAB law, Civil & Criminal Procedure Code, Anti-terrorism act to improve the legal system of the country.
    3. Cabinet approved to take steps in order to ensure that women get the due share in their inheritance and also to initiate a social campaign to the effect.
    4. Minister for P&D to brief the Prime Minister on all ongoing and upcoming projects under CPEC.
    5. Cabinet constituted a committee (Governor KP, Chief Minister KP, Defence Minister & Advisor to PM on Establishment) to expedite the FATA merger.
    6. A committee of Shah Mahmood Qureshi & Khusro Bakhtiyar to meet other political parties to reach out a consensus to secure 2/3 voting as required to for the creation of a South Punjab Province. Committee also to provide actionable steps for the creation of the South province.
    7. Advisor to PM on Governance Reforms to provide a reform package for the Federal Govt.
    8. Federal Govt to start the project for 10 billion trees from 2nd September, Plant-for-Pakistan Day.
    9. Two committees to work on the massive housing and 10 million job creation. Committees assigned to produce a workable plan to kick-start the initiatives.
    10. Public Sector Development Programme (PSDP) takes the massive annual development budget, Advisor to PM on Governance Reforms to recommend steps for the PSDP.
    11. Prime Minister to review the progress of all task forces every 15 days.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Panels to suggest how to implement 100-day plan

ISLAMABAD: The federal cabinet on Tuesday approved constitution of half a dozen taskforces and three committees to review and suggest reforms in different sectors in line with ruling party’s agenda for its first 100 days in power.

Some six newly appointed taskforces are aimed to suggest within next three-month a set of necessary reforms in civil laws, criminal procedure code, accountability laws, civil service and federal government restructuring, and ways and means to create 10 million jobs and 5 million housing units in the country.

“Prime Minister Imran Khan will himself assess progress of all these taskforces on a fortnightly basis. Taskforces will present workable reforms in three-month time,” Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said while briefing media about outcome of the third federal cabinet meeting that held at the PM office.

Moreover, the cabinet also formed three separate committees to expedite process of merger of the former Federally Administered Tribal Areas (Fata) with Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, necessary dialogue with opposition parties for the creation of south Punjab province, and review ongoing and future projects related to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

Nine-point agenda of the meeting also included transfers and postings in federal government and the cabinet approved appointment of Dr Muahmmad Suleman Khan as director-general Intelligence Bureau (IB), Mehr Khaliq Dad Lak as the national coordinator of National Counter Terrorism Authority (Nacta), and Muhammad Jehanzaib as chairman of the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).

During the meeting that lasted over three hours, the cabinet also approved initiation of 10 billion tree plantation drive across the country. Under the plan 1.5 million saplings will be planted on September 2 under the theme ‘Plant for Pakistan’.

To a question, the information minister said incumbent government and military establishment were on same page. “Last government [of PML-N] used to claim that also. Let alone the same page, they were not even on same book,” he commented.

Transform governance

Chaudhry said four taskforces have been created to transform governance system in Pakistan.

“To make NAB laws more effective, it has been decided to introduce necessary amendments in accountability laws. A task force headed by Law Minister Farogh Naseem has been mandated the task to suggest such amendments,” he said, adding: “The government wants a fully autonomous anti-corruption watchdog to deal with the menace of corruption.”

Another taskforce will review civil laws and suggest reforms with specific reference to inheritance laws in a bid to ensure that women should be given their due rights in inheritance.

The taskforce will suggest amendments aimed to ensure speedy and fair disposal of all civil cases within one year and to clear the backlog of pending cases in civil courts. Similarly, another taskforce will look into criminal procedure code and suggest reforms.

“Pakistan stands at 103rd number among 115 countries when it comes to rule of law. It’s alarming. Even Afghanistan’s situation is better than Pakistan in this field,” Chaudhry said, adding that the previous government had promised that anti-terrorism courts will be made functional but it did not happen.

He said Nacta’s working and performance would also be reviewed.

“Governance reform is an important matter and civil service reforms is an integral part of it. PM’s adviser on reforms has been given task to suggest reforms in federal government and civil service.”

The minister said the taskforce would also oversee reforms in planning as a significant chunk of public money goes into Public Sector Development Programme.

Jobs, Housing & Plantation

Under the government’s economic growth plan, two separate taskforces have also been formed that will suggest ways and means to create 10 million jobs and five million housing units in next five years. “They have been asked to complete their planning and present a report in next 90 days.”

On the occasion, Adviser to PM on Climate Change Amin Aslam said the cabinet had also approved initiation of 10 billion tree plantation drive.

PTI announces 23-member Punjab cabinet

“It will formally be kicked off on September 2 and this day will be celebrated under the theme ‘Plant for Pakistan’. On September 2, 1.5 million saplings will be planted across the country and it will be provided to citizens free of cost. I will appeal all Pakistanis to take part in this campaign,” he said.

South Punjab/Fata

A committee comprising Shah Mehmood Qureshi and Khusro Bakhtiar has been formed to coordinate with political parties including the PML-N, PPP to develop consensus and to devise a workable plan for the creation of new province consisting of districts of South Punjab.

“Committee members have been asked to initiate dialogue process with political parties and present a report to PM. Similarly, a committee comprising K-P Governor, CM, Defense Minister and adviser to PM on establishment has been formed to remove obstacles and fast pace the process of Fata-KP merger.”

He said a third committee headed by Khusro Bakhtiar would review all the ongoing and future CPEC projects. “Projects worth US$ 28 billion are in progress under the CEPC, while US$46 billion are in the pipe line. It is necessary to review all the ongoing and pending EPEC projects. After reviewing the projects, committee will present its report to PM for final decision,” he said.

To a question, the information minister clarified that government had no plan to terminate services of contractual employees in government departments.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1790155...-100-day-plan/

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  DlwKU-FW0AE5gZA.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  58.3 KB

Azam Swati will be federal minister for science and technology

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, so Imran Khan just gives orders and forms committees and task forces and issues ultimatums that he will monitor everyone every 15 days, every 30 days e.t.c.

What does he do himself as PM to help others in achieving results?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol, so Imran Khan just gives orders and forms committees and task forces and issues ultimatums that he will monitor everyone every 15 days, every 30 days e.t.c.

What does he do himself as PM to help others in achieving results?
    Which is more than Nawaz already. What kind of answer are you expecting from a question like this? What sort of help can you give someone who's qualified for the job aside from touching base with them every couple of weeks. I'm sure the committees and task forces are mature enough to ask for help if they need it.