Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Jack Hobbs played a long time ago. Cricket evolved a lot after that. He was definitely very special back in his day among his contemporaries, but to assume that he was superior to those great batsmen since the days of Sobers is just being silly. Similarly, those great batsmen since Sobers's time were definitely special. But to assume that they were in a completely different league to the great batsmen since the 90's is just being nostalgic, nothing more. Cricket became very different since the 90's with the players having to endure far more work load and grueling schedule than players before that time.

Like I said, romanticizing the past is a habit for us fans. Everything appears all rosy and better for fans that happened during their time compared to today. I sometimes wonder whether they'll someday claim that even fielding was better back during those days than it is now
    that post you quoted here was in reference to your comment about how great players from the past were truly special or else they wouldn't receive such universal acclaim. And the point Iam trying to make using Jack Hobbs example was that he too had universal acclaim and certainly was the star batsman of his ERA.

But now we know better. There is no way anyone can convince me that Hobbs was special just because he had universal acclaim. The reason is with benefit of hindsight I know that the standards from Hobbs ERA are obsolete now. But the people who were watching him live back then did not know this would happen in the future. They will always be of the opinion that whatever was unfolding at that moment was of the highest standard and they will rate the players as the best. Same is true for all other greats from subsequent ERA's.

But my question is why do people decades later have to pretend the same ? How can anyone not realize that whatever rating was accorded to the player is a "Point in Time" thing and not to be taken as a perpetual rating that is true forever ?

So right now we rate Kohli, Tendulkar, Lara as greats .... 50 yrs from now the standards will be faar higher and it would be foolish to argue that these players were faar better than the crop from that new ERA 50 yrs from now.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Are we really doing this?
    I told you. And now you will get the silent treatment. Welcome to the madness that is otherwise known as old ERA fanaticism.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata