Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tips for going into an interview

Need some help.

The question "why do you want to work for this company" is just...

(This is for part-time work.)
    Last edited by Abdul; 21st August 2018 at 17:11.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Be confident, almost over confident.
    2. Admit where you have wronged gracefully.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try to come across as a hard working, honest & reliable. Know your job inside out & refer to your experience regularly. You want to work for this company because you feel it has potential to grow & you want to be part of this success. If Youre interviewer is female try to be charming & perphaps flex your triceps now & again.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've always done my best in interviews when I've had not massive interest in the job and hence wasn't too stressed about failing the interview. This one time the interview went so well that they offered me a job on the spot and asked me to name a price, but in terms of career it was step down for me so I had to decline. In interviews when I've really wanted the job I have not done so well and often thought I could have answered a few things alot better.

So in my personal experience if I'm not stressed about getting a job I do much better in interviews.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Try to come across as a hard working, honest & reliable. Know your job inside out & refer to your experience regularly. You want to work for this company because you feel it has potential to grow & you want to be part of this success. If Youre interviewer is female try to be charming & perphaps flex your triceps now & again.
    That would all but guarantee a failure in the interview.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    I've always done my best in interviews when I've had not massive interest in the job and hence wasn't too stressed about failing the interview. This one time the interview went so well that they offered me a job on the spot and asked me to name a price, but in terms of career it was step down for me so I had to decline. In interviews when I've really wanted the job I have not done so well and often thought I could have answered a few things alot better.

So in my personal experience if I'm not stressed about getting a job I do much better in interviews.
    How did they react when you declined their offer? They must have been puzzled as to why you went there for the interview in the first place.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you speaking from experience Syed bhai?

Ill rephrase come across as a friendly person with a personality who they will enjoy working alongside. Leave the charm to us Brits .

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Aren't you a self-proclaimed alpha male? You should be good.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    How did they react when you declined their offer? They must have been puzzled as to why you went there for the interview in the first place.
    I declined the offer over the phone

The job description over hyped the job but when I went for interview I realized it was lower than what I was doing at the time

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belawal2014 View Post
    Aren't you a self-proclaimed alpha male? You should be good.
    Good catch

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good catch
    Just taking a leaf out of your book <3.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    A few tips that have served me well over the years:

1. Keep reminding yourself that the worst possible outcome is that you won't be offered the job. It won't be the end of the world, and there will always be other interviews and other jobs. This helps put one at ease. However much you may want the position, your life does not depend on it, and in the event of failure, you will move on.

2. Do your research about the company and the role. Interviewers dislike candidates that come in on that day clueless about the position and what it entails.

3. Be proactive, and don't just wait for their questions, hoping that you would be able to keep them at bay. Interviewers will chew you alive in that scenario. Take the initiative, ask questions, and very subtly, put them on the backfoot. By the end of it, they should be selling the position to you, rather than judging if you are good enough for them.

4. Always leave them wanting more. If they ask a question, answer in a way that piques their interest, and they are forced to ask follow-up questions. This allows you to steer the conversation in the direction you want. There is a fine line to tread here, because you don't want your answers to be so short and straightforward that they move on to the next question on their list. Instead, it should be just right in terms of detail, and there's something in your answer that forces them to dig deeper.

Silver-tongued seraphim circling the spire...
    Gather in the gallery in their best attire...

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do they actually call your previous employers and references?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1573 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do they actually call your previous employers and references?
    They just call the references you provide. I usually give one personal (like a school friend etc) and one work (a colleague from present or previous employers)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Research about the company, you should like something about what they do and how your skills and goals tie in with that.

It should be skindeep and not superficial. Best advice I got from CPA cousin - "fake it till you make it".

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maintain eye contact

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk your perspective future employer's up of what an honour it would be to work with them. You want to work for them due to being so impressed by their reputation that speaks for itself but don't over do in praising them. Be confident but not over confident.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Some good advice above. Smile.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Research the company, check glassdoor reviews, practice your elevator pitch in front of a mirror and try to nail it. Remember, first impression is the last impression.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When asked about situational questions like tell me about a time you had difficulty doing something, format your answer in STAR. That is situation, task, action, result follow that sequence. This will keep your story concise which is very important in an interview, it doesn't do you any good if the interviewer doesn't understand or folloe what you're trying to convey.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suit, shirt, tie, and polished shoes. Wash and brush your hair. Shower and shave. Mobile phone turned off.

Goes without saying you would think. But I do a bit of interviewing and many people do not adhere to the above standards (or even close).

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Don’t sweat it (leave that for the gym, jk jk).

It’s a part time position so I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say that there will be many interviews in life, it’s pointless to stress for an interview and practice lines like a parrot esp if this is your first.

You reading words and words of advice and memorizing lines is only going to make things worse.

Best thing to do is just get a general sense, just look at that info gram few posts up. And then forget about it.

You trying to absorb advice from every Tom dick and harry is only going to make you more nervous.

Be honest with your intent. If it doesn’t work, there’s always another job. Ironically enough this mindset is what improved my success in interviews.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    918 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    To make sure you don’t get the wrong idea. Communication is a skill. If it’s not your strong suit It’s not going to become one overnight just because you read a few posts and watch few videos on interviews.

Just like any other skill it takes practice. So don’t stress about this interview, with each one reflect where you could’ve done better and you’ll get better at them.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Suit, shirt, tie, and polished shoes. Wash and brush your hair. Shower and shave. Mobile phone turned off.

Goes without saying you would think. But I do a bit of interviewing and many people do not adhere to the above standards (or even close).
    Why shave?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why shave?
    It looks akward to have a beard in a suit if you are under 30.

I know itís ridiculous but so much of the impression lies in appearance.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why shave?
    A lot of employers in north america have a "no facial hair" policy and are biased towards a scruffy look, a lot interviewers are middle aged white men who favor the "clean cut" look - clean shave and a nice short haircut/comb over ala Chris Evans.

Also you're really young so leverage your youth to your advantage, if you look youthful clean shaven then may be more favorable and even been more lenient as they'll give you more leeway for appearing young (psychological thing) but with the beard they'll just assume you're more mature and will expect more. Just a psychological hack.

"Be the best version of yourself"

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1010 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have a interview with Toronto Pearson. Doubt I'll get hired though since I don't have a lot of work experience but no harm in going anyways.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The best interviews I have had is when the interviewers have been personable and make people comfortable. Anyone with or without experience is nervous while walking into an interview, so take your time and speak slowly.

I remember when my wife was getting interviewed at one of the biggest insurance company in America, she started to struggle with the very first question. The people who interviewed her made her feel comfortable and she got better as the interview went on. She got hired and worked with them till we left the US to come to Australia.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    327 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Have a interview with Toronto Pearson. Doubt I'll get hired though since I don't have a lot of work experience but no harm in going anyways.
    Jokes aside, good luck.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Have you ever worked in your life?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advices.

What I found is, sometimes if you have no idea about what was asked or you have no knowledge on the subject matter, then gracefully saying no goes a long way.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely shave.

Having big beard means you'll have to spend a lot of time in maintaining them which comes as somewhat inflexible (since you didn't shave).

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, not sure if it would add any value though.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Have you ever worked in your life?
    Good point . I have a money tree in my garden .

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    236 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why shave?
    Apologies, I would clarify this to say that if you donít have facial hair make sure you are shiny and clean shaven, but if you have a moustache / beard make sure it is tidied up and trimmed.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I sit on the other side of the table and sometimes itís really challenging to select the right candidate. You see how people have come well preparered and they really want the job, but the good thing is that itís not end of the World if you donít get that particular job as there are many other opportunities.

On one occasion we had two very good candidates and gave job to one of them. And just few months later we had a sudden vacant spot and contacted the other candidate and luckily for both parties she could start right away

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    I've been interviewing candidates for many years.

My advice - prepare well, be honest, get there for the interview on time, look well-presented and ask at least one question yourself.