Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Original language and culture of Peshawar

Came across an interesting 2 part documentary about Hindko and the original heritage of the city of Peshor/Peshawar.

It actually sounds very similar to standard Punjabi and if told me this documentary was about Lahore then I'd believe you cause these people and their culture wouldn't look out of place. This was the culture of Peshor was like in the old times, this is a good example of what demographic change looks like.

"Peace is only made with the powerful"

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakistanian View Post
    Came across an interesting 2 part documentary about Hindko and the original heritage of the city of Peshor/Peshawar.

It actually sounds very similar to standard Punjabi and if told me this documentary was about Lahore then I'd believe you cause these people and their culture wouldn't look out of place. This was the culture of Peshor was like in the old times, this is a good example of what demographic change looks like.

Peshawar was predominantly a Hindu city (hence the name "Hindko"), before Pashtuns from Afghanistan took over (my ancestors). In fact, the name Peshawar itself is derived from a Sanskrit word. Even today, if you visit the old Peshawar, hindko is the first language (these people are called "Peshawaris") and the hindu-style architecture is still predominant.

Personally, I am mixed blood. My father is Pashtun but my Mother is Peshawari. Hindko is a very sweet and polite language - basically a dialect of Punjabi, and if you fluent in Hindko, you will easily understand and speak Punjabi to a good level.

The actual culture and heritage of Peshawar needs more promotion. Today, it has been stereotyped as a Pashtun city, but that is not the real Peshawar. the real soul of the city has been confined to the inner, old parts.

My late grandparents would often speak in great length about how Peshawar changed post-partition. The Hindus, the original dwellers of the city, left for India and the city changed forever. Peshawar is one of the oldest cities in the world with a very rich history and culture, but its progress has been impeded by the rise of radical islamization thanks to the infiltration of the mullahs, as well as a rise in drugs and gun culture thanks to Pashtuns from Afghanistan.

The real Peshawar has been lost in history, but I am proud that I have that blood in me.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peshawar was the winter capital of the durranis but not a pashtun city, as pashtuns are predominantly a Village and tribal people, they inhabited villages on the outskirts of the city. only post 1947 and especially during the Soviet war did it become a pashtun city.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pashto word for Hindowkans is "Kharyan" which means city dwellers, makes sense in the historical sense as pashtuns were village dwellers and Hindowkhans lived in the city.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hindko is very very sweet language, very common in cities like Kohat.

140 characters from Lala's keyboard, it’s as if he’s launched 140 nuclear missiles on India.