Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proposal that could herald a new era of cricket

This is how I would like cricket to evolve to. ODI and T20 to be combined into a single format - Thirty overs cricket.

No more ODI and T20 to be played internationally while T20 leagues still ongoing. This means no more multiple LO world cups but a single Thirsty over world cup every 4 years. This will give a lot of extra time for test cricket also more value to T20 leagues as we will see players dominating in T20 leagues making it to national LO squads. Now to test cricket.

This format is the most important. Now to give this format more importance we need to make a Test Cricket champions trophy every 4 years. Top 6 teams qualify directly while bottom 6 play qualifying round in two groups of 3. Group toppers qualify for the championship. Championship has two groups of 4, two top table toppers go to semi-final then final. In case of draw matches, in knockout matches, the team with better run rate wins. LO world cup needs to be extended to 20 teams with ICC focus on developing cricket in associate countries specifically in Africa and South-east Asian region.

The particular to be focused on are- Nigeria, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda from Africa and Malaysia, Indonesia , Nepal and Myanmar from Asia. Also, in since modern day cricket, its the fast bowlers that suffer the most, due to batting friendly rules which result in extra hard work for fast bowlers and lot of injuries for fast bowlers and less motivation for upcoming cricketers to become fast bowlers, new rules such as most athletic fielders to be used while fast bowlers get to sit on bench after their spells- less stress on fast bowlers and more entertaining fielding.
    Last edited by MenInG; 3rd January 2019 at 11:46.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most folk will give a hard pass to this, we don't need new formats get rid of Odi's and stick to t20's for everyone and test cricket for select few, everyone is happy and no more stupid innovation.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Scrap the needless T20I which most teams any way donít care about and let ODI and Tests remain as is. That is what is required.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Scrap the needless T20I which most teams any way donít care about and let ODI and Tests remain as is. That is what is required.
    Problem with this is the interest in Odi's outside world cup is waning, no one cares about bilateral anymore. I think cricket needs to go the football way, big teams can have their test cricket everyone else is better off sticking to t20.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a luddite but please no more modifications. Current three formats have something for everyone. It's not that people from Namibia are upset about their lack of Test status.

The usual complaints of "current cricket is unfair to bowlers" fall flat when there are atleast 4-5 bowling sides on the top of their game.

Purists have tests which are now producing results, casual enthusiasts have ODIs and for people new to the game have T-20s. Heck, I know a few white Americans who have taken to IPL and are enjoying it.

But you can have more tournaments backed by robust PR machinery instead of bilaterals. One each year should suffice.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two team ODI series' should be scrapped.

It should all be Tri Series'.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Play ODI as two innings of 20 overs each. That should remove Pitch/dew factors and toss out of the equation. The team that bats first will bowl first in the 2nd innings. 40 overs per team is good enough