Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India's bowling 'as good as these guys have ever faced' : Tim Paine

Australia skipper Tim Paine rued Australia's 'disappointing' performance after the 137-run defeat against India in the third Test at Melbourne, but didn't shy away from praising the visitors' bowling attack.

India's bowlers have done a fantastic job all year round, starting with the tour of South Africa in January. They've shaped up as a well-rounded unit and have given teams a run for their money. It all came together fantastically in their final Test of 2018.

In an effort spear-headed by Jasprit Bumrah, who claimed nine wickets for the match, they bowled Australia out for 151 and 261 to earn India a big victory and a 2-1 series lead in the four-Test series. Tim Paine suggested that India's bowling attack might be among the best ones Australia's batsmen have ever faced.

Explaining Australia's defeat he said, "it's inexperience, it's pressure, it's India's bowling attack being probably as good as probably most of these guys have ever faced."

Paine accepted that the unavailability of Steve Smith and David Warner has left the Australian batting devoid of experience. But he called on his team to keep improving.

"It's pretty clear, if you take two or three of the best players out of anyone's line-up in the world, you're going to struggle a little bit at times and have inconsistent performances. That's what we are seeing."

"In this game, no doubt we were a little bit disappointing. That's going to happen from time to time - we've just got to try and make sure we're improving and making sure our good and our bad is a little bit closer together than what it has been in the last couple of Test matches. But I think it's pretty common you see that when you've got inexperienced players in your top 6 against high-quality bowling."

Australia's fortunes in Test cricket have been rather lean since the ball-tampering scandal that resulted in the suspensions in March, the team has won just one (the second game of this series at Perth) out of the six following Tests and suffered four defeats. Paine accepted that things have been a bit frustrating for his side, but said there was a silver lining to it all.

"While at the moment it's challenging and everyone's frustrated, it is what it is and everyone is working as hard as they possibly can and we're getting guys who are getting experience of high-pressure situations in Test cricket and learning on the job... The silver lining is that we have got world-class players that are available soon to come back into this side and clearly when they do, it will make a huge difference."

By Paine's own admission it seems like Australia aren't in the highest spirits, but a win at Sydney to draw the series against the No.1 ranked side could do plenty to fix that. Paine's men already have a blueprint to follow the one laid out by India at Melbourne. "We'd like to get to Sydney, win the toss and have the same thing... reversed," Paine said.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/961571

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Indian pacers have bowled in good channel with good pace, but addition of Bumrah has added another dimension for them. He is moving it both ways and bowls at 145+. He bowls good bouncer and good Yorkers. Spinners have done their job very well. Indians missed the trick by not playing an spinner in Perth otherwise that test could have been closer.

They have learned not to bowl too many lose balls and keep the pressure from both sides. I do think they are tiring after bowling so many overs and it will show up in the next test. It's only couple of days of rest.

It's their bowling which kept them competitive in SA, Eng and Aus. In Aus, their batting is putting some runs so they are doing better.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Indian pacers have bowled in good channel with good pace, but addition of Bumrah has added another dimension for them. He is moving it both ways and bowls at 145+. He bowls good bouncer and good Yorkers. Spinners have done their job very well. Indians missed the trick by not playing an spinner in Perth otherwise that test could have been closer.

They have learned not to bowl too many lose balls and keep the pressure from both sides. I do think they are tiring after bowling so many overs and it will show up in the next test. It's only couple of days of rest.

It's their bowling which kept them competitive in SA, Eng and Aus. In Aus, their batting is putting some runs so they are doing better.
    Which country do you think has the best bowling attack for all conditions?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you add to the fact Kohli was not actually out in the first innings perth test might have even gone in another direction. Also tail would not have been that long.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mean Abbas at 70 mph was ripping through them on dead UAE pitches.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think India bowled many overs in this match, they bowled less than 160 in whole match, around 80 over per inning which is more or less standard. Even then Jadeja bowled lots of over taking load of faster bowlers.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikky47 View Post
    Which country do you think has the best bowling attack for all conditions?
    Hard to say because right now,

SA has gun pacers + 1 very good spinner.
    Aus has gun pacers + 1 gun spinner.
    India has gun pacers + 2-3 gun spinners.
    Pakistan has very good pacers + 1 gun spinner.
    NZ has very good all around attack for different conditions.

So we have may good bowling attacks for all conditions. If I have to eliminate then Pakistan will drop down due to lack of experience in their pace unit. They bowl one good spell and then give many lose balls.

I will eliminate NZ as well because I don't think their spin is that great.

Top 3 bowling units for me,

SA
    Ind
    Aus

Now here it gets interesting. I do rate SA and Aus pace attack higher than Ind, but India is certainly at an another level in Asian conditions due to having spin depth. You can make a case for any of these 3 right now with India it's nose ahead due to being at different level in Asian conditions. But I won't argue too much if some one names Aus or even SA. My order for all around conditions will be Ind, Aus and SA.
    Last edited by Buffet; 30th December 2018 at 21:32.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep Srivastava View Post
    I don't think India bowled many overs in this match, they bowled less than 160 in whole match, around 80 over per inning which is more or less standard. Even then Jadeja bowled lots of over taking load of faster bowlers.
    They did look tired on 4th day evening. Intensity dropped.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They definitely are tired. But so are Aussie pacers.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So we have may good bowling attacks for all conditions. If I have to eliminate then Pakistan will drop down due to lack of experience in their pace unit. They bowl one good spell and then give many lose balls.

SA
    Ind
    Aus

Now here it gets interesting. I do rate SA and Aus pace attack higher than Ind, but India is certainly at an another level in Asian conditions due to having spin depth. You can make a case for any of these 3 right now with India it's nose ahead due to being at different level in Asian conditions. But I won't argue too much if some one names Aus or even SA. My order for all around conditions will be Ind, Aus and SA.
    I agree with most of what you say, with India having the best attack for all conditions then SA but I think Pakistan/Aus attack there isn't a huge amount of difference with Pakistan performing better in Asia than Aus and Aus doing better in places like Aus/SA.

But overall I would rank it Ind/SA followed by Aus then Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikky47 View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, with India having the best attack for all conditions then SA but I think Pakistan/Aus attack there isn't a huge amount of difference with Pakistan performing better in Asia than Aus and Aus doing better in places like Aus/SA.

But overall I would rank it Ind/SA followed by Aus then Pakistan.
    As I said earlier, there is no big gap here and case can be made for more than one unit. Only reason I rated Pakistan lower was due to lack of experience otherwise they do have tools to be right up there. Next 8-10 tests will tell us more.

Anyway, it's good to see bowlers doing well from many different countries. It has become hard for batsmen to score easy runs.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Lajpat Nagar, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India's bowling line up is currently the best in the world. If batsmebmn helped theyd have been on an unbeaten streak t right now

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wonder how Cummins could even get out of bed on Day 5. That dude has gone from injury prone to Spartacus. Amazing fitness.

All the bowlers are tired. The scoring rates have been low and bowlers had to bowl lots of overs. I think there will be some respite in Sydney with both teams playing 2 spinners.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    India's bowling line up is currently the best in the world. If batsmebmn helped theyd have been on an unbeaten streak t right now
    Shaw's injury was a setback. Agarwal was pretty good but Vihari, Murali and Rahul were hopeless

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SA
    Ind
    Aus

I think you are crediting AUS too much here. SA and Ind are neck to neck with Rabada and Bumrah a league above others. India has better spin options.

Starc has been off color and Hazelwood seems to have regressed big time.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starc is poor when ball not roughed up . Hazel is living in past glory .
    I hope Starc is dropped in Sydney .

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Lajpat Nagar, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pattinson at his best >>>>>>> Starc/Hazzlewood at their best

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any bowling is good if hurled at these inept Aussie batsmen. The likes of Bumrah and Abbas are extremely skillful and these Aussie batsmen will struggle against them anywhere in the world.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even against the shefield shield attacks almost all of these guys average in there 30s or max early 40s.

Other than Khawaja none of the batsmen was averaging even 40 in tests. So what was Paine expecting.

This was supposed to happen when you are playing against bowling lineup in good form.

Below are the test avgs of Aussies

Haris 29
    Finch 27
    Khawaja 42
    Sahun 34
    Head 33
    Marsh 26
    Paine 35

Considering such averages inexperienced openers what was Paine expecting from them in the series.

Yes Indian bowlers have been really good but the batsmen developed through the so called top domestic structure are also pretty poor.
    Last edited by Titan24; 31st December 2018 at 17:56.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Shaw's injury was a setback. Agarwal was pretty good but Vihari, Murali and Rahul were hopeless
    Vihari has been alright.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vihari's weakness against Short ball is getting exploited ruthlessly. He was dismissed in identical fashion in both innings of Melbourne test- caught by the same fielder off the same bowler in exactly the same manner.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indian seamers Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Ishant Sharma created the record of becoming the most successful pace trio in a calendar year with a total of 131 wickets in 2018. Congratulations

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    I think you are crediting AUS too much here. SA and Ind are neck to neck with Rabada and Bumrah a league above others. India has better spin options.

Starc has been off color and Hazelwood seems to have regressed big time.
    Wonder if there's any correlation between the absence of sandpaper boys, sandpaper and their regression/off color performance.

Hmmm...

/S

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latecut View Post
    Vihari's weakness against Short ball is getting exploited ruthlessly. He was dismissed in identical fashion in both innings of Melbourne test- caught by the same fielder off the same bowler in exactly the same manner.
    India is doing the same to Head and one of the Marsh brothers. No one likes a 145K well directed short ball. Not even Ponting or Tendulkar.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latecut View Post
    I recollect Virat going through similar pain on his first series in WI against Fidel Edwards. That certainly ended well.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Vihari doesn’t even look like he can rotate the strike.

He’s just blocking till he gets out

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by urnotserious View Post
    Wonder if there's any correlation between the absence of sandpaper boys, sandpaper and their regression/off color performance.

Hmmm...

/S
    Well...I concur with Broad here. It's there to see how innocuous AUS are with the old ball.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BaankeJi View Post
    Vihari has been alright.
    As an opener he was bad. He is alright in the middle order