Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1.5 mln trees to be planted on Green Day on Sept 2: Malik Amin Aslam

ISLAMABAD - Advisor to Prime Minister Malik Amin Aslam Monday said 1.5 million tree plantation has been planned for the Green Day, to be celebrated on September 2 in the country.

The purpose of the campaign is to encourage people, communities, organizations, business, and industry, civil society and government to collectively plant trees, he said chairing a provincial meeting held here at the Ministry of Climate Change.

The day would also create awareness about benefits of forests and increasing forest cover in big cities of the country, he added.

Amin Aslam said the main focus of the campaign was to plant tree massively on September 2, subject to the approval of the prime minister. Earlier the Cabinet meeting had decided to launch a massive tree plantation campaign.

He said the Billion Tree Tsunami was a successful story, which was recognized both at the national and international levels and that programme had to be spread across the country.

He said that the Green Pakistan programme would be integrated into the10 Billion Tree Tsunami and emphasized that monitoring of plants was very important after their plantation.

Amin Aslam said the chief ministers of all the provinces would be asked to inaugurate mass afforestation on September 2, in their respective provinces too.

Saplings will be planted and distributed all over the country on September 2, he added. He instructed all the institutions involved in that important task, including National Highways Authority, to plant trees along motorways and highways.

He said a media campaign would be launched to create public awareness of the importance of trees. He also instructed the provinces to provide their targets of massive afforestation for September 2.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/****...ik-amin-aslam/

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What are the benefits of planting so many trees? Does it cost a lot?

I assume it would be

- Maximizing chances to control heat

- Maximizing chances to encourage rain

- To give a better appearance to the dry cities?

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    What are the benefits of planting so many trees? Does it cost a lot?

I assume it would be

- Maximizing chances to control heat

- Maximizing chances to encourage rain

- To give a better appearance to the dry cities?
    - Remove pollutants from the air.

- Mitigate the effects of climate change which is the largest existential threat to Pakistan.

- Greener cities have been proven to be less stressful to citizens which boosts happiness and work
    productivity.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Conocarpus and Eucalyptus are avoided. They are not environment friendly, and Mustafa being a joker planted such plants in Karachi during his tenure. Shehbaz sharif's government planting palm trees in Lahore

Indigenous tree should be promoted in each region.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Hopefully Conocarpus and Eucalyptus are avoided. They are not environment friendly, and Mustafa being a joker planted such plants in Karachi during his tenure. Shehbaz sharif's government planting palm trees in Lahore

Indigenous tree should be promoted in each region.
    I'd say Malik Saab would know what he is doing especially after the billion tree experience.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    - Remove pollutants from the air.

- Mitigate the effects of climate change which is the largest existential threat to Pakistan.

- Greener cities have been proven to be less stressful to citizens which boosts happiness and work
    productivity.
    And Intelligence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45326598
    Air pollution may harm cognitive intelligence, study says
    Peshawar and Pindi are the most polluted cities around

Last edited by WhenSultansBowled; 29th August 2018 at 07:52.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    I'd say Malik Saab would know what he is doing especially after the billion tree experience.
    My cousin telling me 20% of the billion tree tsunami is Safeda, he has seen this in DI khan, Lakki Marwat . I'm worried about this.

We already have water sortage so there needs to be a ban on this in selected areas

Karnataka state govt bans planting eucalyptus, acacia trees owing to impact on ground water level

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/58703790.cms
    Last edited by shah_1; 29th August 2018 at 11:55.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My cousin telling me 20% of the billion tree tsunami is Safeda, he has seen this in DI khan, Lakki Marwat . I'm worried about this.

We already have water sortage so there needs to be a ban on this in selected areas

Karnataka state govt bans planting eucalyptus, acacia trees owing to impact on ground water level

Yeah your cousin has more credibility than World Economic Forum.....

The greatest tradegy for PTI is that long time Nooras are acting as PTI supporters since they couldn't vote for the Sharifs and now they are hoping for its government to fail.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Yeah your cousin has more credibility than World Economic Forum.....

The greatest tradegy for PTI is that long time Nooras are acting as PTI supporters since they couldn't vote for the Sharifs and now they are hoping for its government to fail.
    I'm a Pakistani, and nothing is greater than Pakistan.

I voted for a party my friends and family know, no need to prove to any internet troll like you. No need to tell me what should I say.

The nursery also had kachnar saplings and oddly, eucalyptus as wellwhich we pointed out was not a good idea since they are thirsty plants which will dry out the sub-soil water, consequently lowering the water table

https://www.dawn.com/news/1240568

Also, nine million eucalyptus trees were planted in Heroshah in 2015-2016 by 16,000 labore

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/20...-is-a-success/

I want this to be a success, but as a concerned citizen we are ought to question this tree.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

From what I have heard, they are planting Eucylptus, Safeda, etc in areas where the water table is too high, which is justifiable. Where the water table is low, or normal, they are not planting those trees.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hussain.r97 View Post
    From what I have heard, they are planting Eucylptus, Safeda, etc in areas where the water table is too high, which is justifiable. Where the water table is low, or normal, they are not planting those trees.
    That's good to hear

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Pakistani, and nothing is greater than Pakistan.

I voted for a party my friends and family know, no need to prove to any internet troll like you. No need to tell me what should I say.

The nursery also had kachnar saplings and oddly, eucalyptus as wellwhich we pointed out was not a good idea since they are thirsty plants which will dry out the sub-soil water, consequently lowering the water table

https://www.dawn.com/news/1240568

Also, nine million eucalyptus trees were planted in Heroshah in 2015-2016 by 16,000 labore

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/20...-is-a-success/

I want this to be a success, but as a concerned citizen we are ought to question this tree.
    As far as I know they were planted in swamps or similar land.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I listened to Mian Amin Aslam's press conference yesterday. That guy is impressive. Never seen a minister so knowledgable and well versed in his field with excellent eloquence. If given unrestricted 5 years, I have zero doubt that he will be able to pull off the extremely ambitious 10 billion tree tsunami, but he would need the help of NGOs and everyday Pakistanis.

On another note this is another opportunity for our friend @Mamoon to provide saplings at Rs. 2.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listened to Mian Amin Aslam's press conference yesterday. That guy is impressive. Never seen a minister so knowledgable and well versed in his field with excellent eloquence. If given unrestricted 5 years, I have zero doubt that he will be able to pull off the extremely ambitious 10 billion tree tsunami, but he would need the help of NGOs and everyday Pakistanis.

On another note this is another opportunity for our friend @Mamoon to provide saplings at Rs. 2.
    Any news on whether he'll be given the second seat in Attock or will major have his wish fulfilled for it being passed to his son?

Do you think having an mna seat will help or hinder his work?

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He did masters in Environmental Management from Oxford and worked as climate change expert with UN, ICUN, World Bank, Eco-Forum Global etc.

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Venue
    Planet Cricket
    Runs
    Mentioned
    315 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim_khan View Post
    Any news on whether he'll be given the second seat in Attock or will major have his wish fulfilled for it being passed to his son?

Do you think having an mna seat will help or hinder his work?
    Major played the dirty game because the second seat of Attock (NA-56) is not Amin Aslam consistency (NA-55) so there is no chance of Amin contesting from there because he will lose it and it is the rural constituency of Attock not urban. Sohail Kamrial already left PTI and joined PMLN before GE2018 because of Major and he is not coming back although IK tasked people to contact him PTI want him be their candidate in by elections from NA-56 Attock. So currently we got no candidate on NA56 and our choices are Major's son/daughter/son in law or someone influential from outside the party and outside the major family.

Raise your words, not voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder... (Rumi)

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGuru View Post
    Major played the dirty game because the second seat of Attock (NA-56) is not Amin Aslam consistency (NA-55) so there is no chance of Amin contesting from there because he will lose it and it is the rural constituency of Attock not urban. Sohail Kamrial already left PTI and joined PMLN before GE2018 because of Major and he is not coming back although IK tasked people to contact him PTI want him be their candidate in by elections from NA-56 Attock. So currently we got no candidate on NA56 and our choices are Major's son/daughter/son in law or someone influential from outside the party and outside the major family.
    Finally, someone in PTI as dastardly as Zardari.

You did warn us all about Major being a piece of work, and this just goes to prove it.

Shame we're in a coalition situation, but hopefully IK makes an example of people like him before the next election. Maybe even Pervez Khattak, I hear he's got a son coming in too.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Plant for Pakistan' drive kicks off tomorrow

A daylong plantation campaign titled “Plant for Pakistan” is set to begin tomorrow with Prime Minister Imran Khan expected to commence it by planting a sapling in Islamabad, Radio Pakistan reported.

An approximate 1.5 million saplings will be planted under the 10-billion tree tsunami plan.

Arrangements have been made to provide cost free samplings through 190 distribution points across the country.

The campaign’s objective is to motivate general public to make Pakistan greener, and inspire communities, businesses, industrial sector, organizations and the civil society to come together for the cause.

The drive is also aimed at enlightening people to create a much-needed awareness about the countless benefits of planting trees.

On Thursday, Adviser to the Prime Minister on Climate Change Malik Amin Aslam said that 200 events would be held nationwide during the campaign. He also said that the events will be showcased in 18 major cities in all the provinces and AJK.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1793014...-off-tomorrow/

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Change is here and this legacy could be PTI's greatest.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has really taken off on twitter. Great to see. Shame our political environment is so toxic, most other parties havent involved themselves. Just shows they're more interested in being in power than helping Pakistan and it's people.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are right like they have planted it in area around river here in Lower dir .I can send you pics next time i go home,

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    Yes you are right like they have planted it in area around river here in Lower dir .I can send you pics next time i go home,
    That would be great!

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Punjab disappoints once again.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taaya View Post
    Shameful stats from Punjab, but can only be improved upon. Sindh have really gone all in, as have KPK understandably. Balochistan and Sindh need it most desperately

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taaya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Asim_khan View Post
    Shameful stats from Punjab, but can only be improved upon. Sindh have really gone all in, as have KPK understandably. Balochistan and Sindh need it most desperately
    From what I know, the target set for Punjab was also lower, around 250,000 trees. Probably because most of Punjab is agricultural land, while KPK and Sindh have large forests.

Sindh had a mass plantation in the mangrove forests around Keti Bandar.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing initiative. This will help Pakistan massively in the long run.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From what I know, the target set for Punjab was also lower, around 250,000 trees. Probably because most of Punjab is agricultural land, while KPK and Sindh have large forests.

Sindh had a mass plantation in the mangrove forests around Keti Bandar.
    I really don't know where will they plant trees in Punjab as there is a lot of agricultural land in Punjab. One area is river and canal embankments. Potohar region could be another area of plantation.

" Don't wait. The time will never be just right "

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar goraya View Post
    I really don't know where will they plant trees in Punjab as there is a lot of agricultural land in Punjab. One area is river and canal embankments. Potohar region could be another area of plantation.
    How much of the agricultural land was illegally converted from forests?

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waqar goraya View Post
    Cities, riverbanks, along canals, Potohar region, West Punjab, and maybe the area of Punjab bordering Balochistan too.

I think there are some areas where they need to get rid of illegal agricultural lands, and replant forests. There are many areas of Punjab, especially in the North and West, where there used to be forests. They have all made way for farms. Instead of more farms, they should increase the output and efficiency of the existing agricultural land in Central Punjab and Sindh.

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

― Imran Khan

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch Cricketer View Post
    How much of the agricultural land was illegally converted from forests?
    I have no idea.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Between Venus & Mars
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cities, riverbanks, along canals, Potohar region, West Punjab, and maybe the area of Punjab bordering Balochistan too.

I think there are some areas where they need to get rid of illegal agricultural lands, and replant forests. There are many areas of Punjab, especially in the North and West, where there used to be forests. They have all made way for farms. Instead of more farms, they should increase the output and efficiency of the existing agricultural land in Central Punjab and Sindh.
    But if those farms are operated by rightful owners through legal means then they won't be forced out.

Railway tracks and roadsides are also a good area of plantation.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    10 billion in 5 years is a very ambitious target. They will have to plant more than 2.7 million trees a day for the next 5 years to meet the target.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    10 billion in 5 years is a very ambitious target. They will have to plant more than 2.7 million trees a day for the next 5 years to meet the target.
    It's 5.4 million rather than 2.7 million a day.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think it's possible, considering that not all 10 billion trees will be planted, many trees will be grown through regeneration.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Singapore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually they will stop cutting of a few billions of those through illegal logging. Even in kpk I think they planted 300million or so only the remaining was stopping illegal loggers and allowing tree to grow naturally

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought"-JFK

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to know!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who exactly is the "timber mafia"? Who do they sell this illegal logging too? I take it it goes abroad??