Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Alastair Cook retires from international cricket

“After much thought and deliberation over the last few months I have decided to announce my retirement from international cricket at the end of this Test series against India.

“Although it is a sad day, I can do so with a big smile on my face knowing I have given everything and there is nothing left in the tank. I have achieved more than I could have ever imagined and feel very privileged to have played for such a long time alongside some of the greats of the English game. The thought of not sharing the dressing room, again, with some of my teammates was the hardest part of my decision, but I know the timing is right.

“I have loved cricket my whole life from playing in the garden as a child and will never underestimate how special it is to pull on an England shirt. So I know it is the right time to give the next generation of young cricketers their turn to entertain us and feel the immense pride that comes with representing your country.

“There are too many people to thank individually, but a special mention must go to the Barmy Army and all supporters for their constant encouragement for the team and also a special mention to Graham Gooch. As a seven year-old I queued for his autograph outside Essex County Cricket Club and years later was so fortunate to have him mentoring me. Graham was my sounding board, especially in the early years of my career, spending hour after hour throwing balls at me with his dog stick. He made me realise you always need to keep improving whatever you are trying to achieve.

“My family and I have had 12 wonderful years fulfilling my dreams and this could not have been done without them. So I wish to thank my parents and brothers, my wife, Alice, and her family for their quiet, unwavering support behind the scenes. As cricketers, who travel frequently, we often don’t realise just how important our families are to our success.

“I would also like to thank Essex County Cricket Club for their help and support ever since I was 12, and I can’t wait to get fully involved with them in the 2019 season.

“I wish the England team every success in the future, and I will be watching with great excitement.”

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/ne...tional-cricket
    Last edited by Zeeraq; 3rd September 2018 at 12:07.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Retires at 33 - some desi cricketers who go on and on and on despite being in terrible form should take note.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great news for Hitman. Tendulkar record is safe for time being.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who might replace him

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hats off to him. May be Dhoni can learn a thing or two.

Even Younis(Tests) retired when he was still getting runs.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post
    Retires at 33 - some desi cricketers who go on and on and on despite being in terrible form should take note.
    He has been terrible for some time now.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has been trash since he turned 30...He dragged on worse than many so called desi cricketers

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good decision. May have come a bit late, but kudos to him for not prolonging it. Retires as an English ATG.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Indians are probably glad, because now their Tendulkar's record wont have any threat of being broken
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 3rd September 2018 at 14:16.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Indians are probably glad, because now their Teenda's record wont have any threat of being broken
    The way Cook had regressed, there was no chance of him breaking Tendulkar's record.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    276 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indians are probably glad, because now their Teenda's record wont have any threat of being broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Great news for Hitman. Tendulkar record is safe for time being.
    The way he was playing, he would have probably had a career average below 40 in another couple of years. And then probably break Sachin's record in another 7 years time.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    GanGsta Land
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earned respect.

Some of the desi cricketers should learn from him. :dhoni

I am going to name my son "Intikhab Alam" so that he will never lose his job.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    758 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good decision. Thanks to Cheffy for all those centuries and catches. Hope he gets a ton in his last match. He will get a huge ovation in his final innings.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An England legend!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This! Hafeez in particular should definitely take note.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Classy gentleman. Winning in India, SA and being such a crucial player for 12 years.

Respect.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    english legend.
    but KP has been their best test batsman in last 20 years.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Goodbye Mamoon's ATG, hopefully a 100 in his last Test aka Nasser and leave on a 4-1 series win high

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect.

Hope our captain Mashrafe will take a leaf out of cook's book.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Class!

Pakistan go around picking geriatrics of the same age (Azhar Ali, Salman Butt for Pakistan A) and older (Hafeez!) while English, Aussie, South African and Kiwi players have no such misplaced respect for “seniority” and retire once they lose their consistency.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni (India), Hafeez (Pakistan), Mashrafe (Bangla) can learn from the English great.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    The ECB Chairman Colin Graves has paid a glowing tribute to Alastair Cook who announced his intention to retire from international cricket earlier today.
    Cook, who has won a record 160 Test caps for England, and also captained both Test and One-Day sides, is to step down from the international game at the end of the current Specsavers Test series against India.
    Commenting on Cook's twelve-year international career, ECB Chairman Colin Graves said: “Alastair’s selfless dedication to the England cause and his desire to succeed are an object lesson to any professional cricketer. As our highest ever Test run-scorer and most capped player, he fully deserves to be remembered as one of England’s greatest ever cricketers.
    “He can also be very proud of his achievements as a hugely successful England captain; leading the team to two Ashes series wins in 2013 and 2015, and our first Test series win in India for 28 years in 2012.
    “I would like to personally thank Alastair for everything he has given to the England team and also acknowledge the important supporting role his family has played in helping him make such a success of his career.
    “He leaves the international arena with our warm best wishes and will, we trust, continue to grace our county game with Essex for many years to come.”

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anything it goes on to show how difficult it is to maintain the performance for so many years that Tendulkar did. Rather than being bitter....you should appreciate.

On topic, Cook should have retired after next years Ashes at home. Thats the perfect series to retire than India series.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GLORY OF '92 View Post
    Classy gentleman. Winning in India, SA and being such a crucial player for 12 years.

Respect.
    And Australia

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    If anything it goes on to show how difficult it is to maintain the performance for so many years that Tendulkar did. Rather than being bitter....you should appreciate.

On topic, Cook should have retired after next years Ashes at home. Thats the perfect series to retire than India series.
    Sachin record was never under threat from him. He was never going to play beyond 34 even if he was still scoring runs like he used to. Actually no Englishmen will break Sachin record ever they dont last long enough and tend to retire for other things. If anything his record will be broken by another Indian who tend to keep going as long as they possibly can. But I have a feeling the culture in Subcontinent will eventually change as cricketers will realise there are other things to do in life aswell besides playing cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post

He made his debut against India and will now retire against India.

It's kind of poetic if you ask me.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    984 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sad but inevitable given Cook's form. He could no longer pull himself out of a rut like he was able to in the past.

I'd expect England will debut Rory Burns soon.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt this was coming, even I said that he might retire after the India series.

What a player! One of England's greatest ever, the way he carried the team and led them during the KP fiasco was worth appreciable. He was pivotal in two of England's greatest wins- 2010 Australia and 2012 India.

A great servant for his country and I feel with him retiring and de Villiers already retired, the era of mid-2000s players is on verge of end with Amla and Dhoni almost done in their respective career as well.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who are the desi cricketers you referring to in your post?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah started his career at 33

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Who might replace him
    Its a shame pakistan cant offload shan masood to england as a replacement.

England will need to find two decent opening batsmen now.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    Sachin record was never under threat from him. He was never going to play beyond 34 even if he was still scoring runs like he used to. Actually no Englishmen will break Sachin record ever they dont last long enough and tend to retire for other things. If anything his record will be broken by another Indian who tend to keep going as long as they possibly can. But I have a feeling the culture in Subcontinent will eventually change as cricketers will realise there are other things to do in life aswell besides playing cricket.

That's why will always remain as the greatest batsman of all time across all formats. It's easy to play one or two good knocks, but it's almost impossible to play at the top of ur game for 15/20 years in cricket.

Everything sachin touched in his career has turned into goods. Sachin will always remain as the greatest of all time.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tusker View Post
    First name that came to my mind after reading his post is Dhoni.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mentally weak move. He is only 33. Should have carried on playing and try and beat the bad form.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    Mentally weak move. He is only 33. Should have carried on playing and try and beat the bad form.
    Very poor of you to call him mentally weak when you know nothing about the man.

He was handed England's captaincy at a very young age. And did the toughest job in English cricket for 8 years.

If you remember, Greame Smith was also made captain at just 22 and he too retired by 32.

Captaincy takes a lot out of any player, especially such young players.

It's totally uncalled for to call him "weak" just because he's had enough of cricket after 300 international matches.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainMan_ View Post
    First name that came to my mind after reading his post is Dhoni.
    Really? You would think Mortaza would top that list.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    imo the greatest Test opener of this century.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dhoni certainly in the t20i side and probably ODIs too. And in years gone by there have been numerous names who went on too long.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cook has called retirement at the right time and good on him to place the interests of the team at heart. I remember first watching Cook during the England and Pakistan 2006 series and he made an instant impression with his sound technique reinforced by his calmness and composure for such a young man. You could tell mentally he was very tough from the beginning of his England days. Even with dips in form he always found a way to bounce back. His performances during the famous Ashes win in Australia and India in 2012 were the highlights of his career. Although with limited array of shots in his Arsenal, he was an excellent back foot player and spin before his decline.

It's a shame his average has dipped below the high 40s (at one point close to 50) but for me his numbers are far more significant than some of the middle order batsmen who have averaged around 50 in the post 2010 era because he played just over half of his games in England against the Duke ball in swinging and seaming conditions.

Many on here are quick to dismiss that he is no ATG but should also remember had he been an opener in Asia/Australia his average would have been significantly higher on flatter wickets against the Kookaburra, evident from his higher away test average as shown below:

Home tests (85 matches) - Average: 43.75
    Away tests (75 matches) - Average: 46.10

I'm not claiming he's an ATG but I would say that he certainly has a case. The fact that England are struggling to replace Strauss shows how tough it is to cement a spot as an opener in England let alone finding a future ATG English opener and is hence why I rate Cook's achievements a lot more highly than James Anderson who is no doubt a legendary bowler with admirable skills in swing bowling but he's been bestowed with perfect bowling conditions at home.

He has had a stellar career and it will be some mission for England to find a long term replacement who can play even half the games that he did.
    Last edited by topspin; 3rd September 2018 at 14:01.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Cook should not be picked for the 5th test. Blood in a youngster

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad at this news. Cook was my favorite English player ever. He is the poster boy of what hard work looks like. Was never a natural talent but his hard work is unparalleled.

He went about his cricket in a very dignified way and that is how I would forever remember Alastair Cook. A dignified man. His honesty to his own game and to the sport in general is very much appreciated.

His performance in 2010 Ashes down under will go down as one of the greatest batting performances. Just two weeks back I was at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Cook's 244 was plastered there as the best batting performance by an overseas batsman. He should be very proud of his achievements in cricket.

Wish him all the best in his life.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sad to hear the news, but his batting form has been wayward since 2013-14 Ashes in Australia and now that he's even struggling against India at home, it's the right time, probably the perfect time to retire on top and go out with a series win over the cashcow of international cricket.

Thanks for the memories, Cooky and wish you all the best in your retirement!

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time, always looked out of sorts in the past two years. Good player, english legend.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Class act.

Selfless decision by Cook.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dhoni certainly in the t20i side and probably ODIs too. And in years gone by there have been numerous names who went on too long.
    2 Biggest reasons why this is so in Ind/Pak are: Tendulkar and Imran.

Cook is currently 33yrs 252 days old. In Jan 2007 Tendulkar was at the same age as Cook is now ( But had played lot more International Cricket than Cook despite having played 25 less tests than Cook ) . Since then he went on to play for nearly 7 more years and accumulated more than 9K Intl runs with 25 hundreds including 2 Worldcups and many a iconic knock ( First ODI Double hundred !! , highest scorer for India in 2011 WC , 146 vs Steyn , Double hundred vs Mitch Johnson etc etc ). Most players would be happy to have achieved that much in their entire career !! Imran too was quite successful in his late 30s.

Thats what the great man achieved and set the benchmark so far high that everyone looks upto that and thinks it is possible to keep playing well into the late 30's. This is what great players do they inspire people to go for what was previously unthinkable. This is what MSD is trying to do granted he is not nearly as successful.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legend. Has won everywhere except UAE

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the greatest openers in the history of the game. A true legend. And to cap it all, he's a nice chap too.

A lesson to the Pakistan players desperately trying to hang on despite knowing there are better younger players around (Hafeez, Kamran Akmal, Abdul Razzak in the past) - this is how to make a graceful exit!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1829 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I hope he does enough in his last test match to get career average above 45. At present its 44.88.

Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His top 5 innings in my view are:

1. 190 vs India at Kolkata - 2012
    2. 235* vs Australia at Brisbane - 2010
    3. 162 vs New Zealand at Lord's - 2015
    4. 118 vs South Africa at Durban - 2009
    5. 176 vs India at Ahmedabad - 2012

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Cook playing as a teenager for Essex, I have been to so many games featuring him, I hardly recall a time when he did not represent Essex or England. I will always have a soft spot for him but the last almost 2 years were excruciating to watch, especially as a fan. He floundered where he used to be excellent, he fell apart where he use to stand resolute. A great player reduced to a pale imitation, one who still provided the odd great knock (100 odd against India and the double in Australia).

Even as he barely averaged 30, we look out against the County landscape and wonder who, if any man, can replace the quiet titan, for let's not forget he was part of England's greatest test teams which stretched from 2009 to roughly 2012, winning home and away in Australia and that remarkable series in India.

As he leaves, we remember his fondest days, not his worse.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    His top 5 innings in my view are:

1. 190 vs India at Kolkata - 2012
    2. 235* vs Australia at Brisbane - 2010
    3. 162 vs New Zealand at Lord's - 2015
    4. 118 vs South Africa at Durban - 2009
    5. 176 vs India at Ahmedabad - 2012
    His 95 vs Asif and Amir has to be up there as well. Career-reviving performance.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He had to , there was no other choice , he has been in absolute poor form

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think he might have been politely told by the selectors that they were looking to move on after this series and gave him the honorable option

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    But no doubt when in real form, he was actually a role model opener and a true test batsman where he would perform his duties to the tee i.e. see of the new ball, put the bad balls away, when in then score real big, occupy the crease and bad for really long periods of time.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    2 Biggest reasons why this is so in Ind/Pak are: Tendulkar and Imran.

Cook is currently 33yrs 252 days old. In Jan 2007 Tendulkar was at the same age as Cook is now ( But had played lot more International Cricket than Cook despite having played 25 less tests than Cook ) . Since then he went on to play for nearly 7 more years and accumulated more than 9K Intl runs with 25 hundreds including 2 Worldcups and many a iconic knock ( First ODI Double hundred !! , highest scorer for India in 2011 WC , 146 vs Steyn , Double hundred vs Mitch Johnson etc etc ). Most players would be happy to have achieved that much in their entire career !! Imran too was quite successful in his late 30s.

Thats what the great man achieved and set the benchmark so far high that everyone looks upto that and thinks it is possible to keep playing well into the late 30's. This is what great players do they inspire people to go for what was previously unthinkable. This is what MSD is trying to do granted he is not nearly as successful.
    People commenting on his age i.e. he is retiring at 33 which is a very young age don't realize how much playing so much test cricket for a country which plays tremendous amounts of test cricket like England and then to captain England for so long takes out of you

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Many on here are quick to dismiss that he is no ATG but should also remember had he been an opener in Asia/Australia his average would have been significantly higher on flatter wickets against the Kookaburra, evident from his higher away test average as shown below:

Home tests (85 matches) - Average: 43.75
    Away tests (75 matches) - Average: 46.10
    Did you mean to say "had he not been an opener"? He did open for England during their last tour of India.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't think he would break Sachin record and always thought he would retire earlier than expected. The right decision in the end.

Not the most elegant or charismatic player but what he is when set the toughest Cookie to dislodge. Also one of the fittest cricketers to play the game. One of England's greatest batters and a true gentlemen of the game.

Alistair thanks for all the memories , enjoy the next step of your life.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A good bloke, a great servant and a fantastic player who had a magnificent career.

Enjoy your well-earned retirement.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Brilliant career. England legend.

Never would have thought he'll be able score this many runs with his technique which shows his hard work and determination to achieve all those milestones.

Its not his age, but the sheer number of test matches he has already played which must have taken a lot of toll on him mentally and physically. He looks a like drained man these days.

Best of luck Cooky.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    I hope he does enough in his last test match to get career average above 45. At present its 44.88.
    If he gets out in both innings, which is very likely, he'll need to score at least 121 runs in the match to get there. If he remains not out in one of the innings, then he'll need 76.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Very harsh from Bumble. Surely, Cook deserves a farewell game at the end of such a long, distinguished career.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Man View Post
    Surely, Cook deserves a farewell game at the end of such a long, distinguished career.
    Definitely!

It still irks me that Sehwag was forced to retire without a farewell game.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Great player. A wonderful ambassador.

Retiring of his own choice rather than being kicked out like so many Asian cricketers are.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was an absolute run machine in his prime. From the cricket that I've seen, Cooky easily makes my all time test XI.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Did you mean to say "had he not been an opener"? He did open for England during their last tour of India.
    No 'm saying if he was an Indian/Pakistani/Aussie opener his average would have been a lot higher than his current reading of 44.89 based on his records in these respective countries:

India - Averages over 50
    Australia - Averages just under 50
    UAE - Averages well over 50 (and I'm sure he would have enjoyed batting on flat roads in Pakistan as well.

Now compare these averages with his home grounds in England where it is between 43 and 44.
    Last edited by topspin; 3rd September 2018 at 19:11.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good but surprising decision from Cook. Nice to see him retire rather than get dropped. Had a great career despite his late form. From my eyes overachieved for the talent and ability he had. Despite this I loved watching his cover drives.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no, its just crazy, he is just 33, he is out of form, take a break or should be dropped and go back to basic, FC cricket, get his hunger back and make a comeback. He has at least 5 years of cricket left in him. Particularly as he is not a T20 player.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Great player. A wonderful ambassador.

Retiring of his own choice rather than being kicked out like so many Asian cricketers are.
    Can't really say he had a choice, he was most definitely going to be dropped after the series and i am sure the selectors may have told him privately that they were looking to move on.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Definitely!

It still irks me that Sehwag was forced to retire without a farewell game.
    There is a difference. Sehwag's form has badly dipped and at the time the BCCI had other options waiting in the wings. They dropped Sehwag and Sehwag felt he could make a comeback after performing well in Domestic Cricket and the IPL but he never got a look in and eventually he announced his retirement.

If he had told the selectors when he was in the national side that he was looking to retire, i am sure they would have selected him one final time for a farewell game out of courtesy but that never happened.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4524 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I remember watching the news as a teen seeing the headline that a certain Cook enters the international ranks with a glorious century on debut. From then on he has gone from strength to strength, whenever he has found himself under severe pressure the fighting champion was always so resolute and responded emphatically. Very few would have predicted that he'd go on to become one of the greatest England batsman of all time and one hell of a leader.

There isn't a bloke who is nicer then him and he has always conducted himself with the highest integrity, there is no surprise that he has put his country before him and called it a day having achieved it all at the highest level. He has done the sport and his country proud, we will miss him so much.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    One of the great Test openers of all time. People often underestimate how difficult his role was - opening the batting in Test cricket in England is the toughest job in the game. To do what he did so successfully for over 120-130 Tests requires exceptional class and dedication. The fact that England have not produced an opener since his debut who has been good enough to do the job for more than a couple of years exemplifies his quality.

He has been quite ordinary in his last 30-40 Tests, but he still managed to show glimpses of his pedigree. However, his achievements tower over the successes of many cricketers. Not many players can boast of destroying Australia and India on their turf like he did in 2010-2011 and 2012, and although his record as captain was not great, he still managed Test series wins in India and South Africa.

He is the most high-achieving English player in modern cricket, and few openers have had better careers in 150 years of Test cricket.

Those who say that he is not a great of the game because of XYZ cherry-picked stats do not understand cricket. There is no one path to greatness - every career has a different story, and a record-breaking career like Cook's deserves all the recognition and adulation.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    I remember watching the news as a teen seeing the headline that a certain Cook enters the international ranks with a glorious century on debut. From then on he has gone from strength to strength, whenever he has found himself under severe pressure the fighting champion was always so resolute and responded emphatically. Very few would have predicted that he'd go on to become one of the greatest England batsman of all time and one hell of a leader.

There isn't a bloke who is nicer then him and he has always conducted himself with the highest integrity, there is no surprise that he has put his country before him and called it a day having achieved it all at the highest level. He has done the sport and his country proud, we will miss him so much.
    People talk about his runs and what not, but the highlight for me was the England Ashes whitewash in 2013-14 in Australia. We already saw what a similar result did to Andrew Flintoff in 2006-07 where he became completely depressed, went out drinking and turned up drunk to a net session and admitted to breaking down when his father came to visit him saying that he feels completely alone and he can no longer deal with the pressure and strain of the losses and not having any helping hand in the team to help him out.

Cook in comparison always kept a calm, composed, dignified demeanor in each and every press conference, interview in that series

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    One of the great Test openers of all time. People often underestimate how difficult his role was - opening the batting in Test cricket in England is the toughest job in the game. To do what he did so successfully for over 120-130 Tests requires exceptional class and dedication. The fact that England have not produced an opener since his debut who has been good enough to do the job for more than a couple of years exemplifies his quality.

He has been quite ordinary in his last 30-40 Tests, but he still managed to show glimpses of his pedigree. However, his achievements tower over the successes of many cricketers. Not many players can boast of destroying Australia and India on their turf like he did in 2010-2011 and 2012, and although his record as captain was not great, he still managed Test series wins in India and South Africa.

He is the most high-achieving English player in modern cricket, and few openers have had better careers in 150 years of Test cricket.

Those who say that he is not a great of the game because of XYZ cherry-picked stats do not understand cricket. There is no one path to greatness - every career has a different story, and a record-breaking career like Cook's deserves all the recognition and adulation.
    Precisely it's a real shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves on this forum. I'm sure if he was a Pakistani everyone would be spamming ATG on their keyboards as many have done with Younis Khan who falls short imo.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

I remember you used him as an example of what the ideal test match opener should be doing i.e. seeing off the new ball in order to make life easier for the middle to lower order batting line up, putting the bat balls away and batting for long periods of time and aiming big.

You mentioned that in your view someone like David Warner is not that useful because he may score a 150 at a record strike rate but it is pointless if he gets out before the second new ball and exposes the other batsmen to that second new ball and allows the opposition to get back into the game.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good bye chef. Good decision to not stretch till ashes series.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I remember you used him as an example of what the ideal test match opener should be doing i.e. seeing off the new ball in order to make life easier for the middle to lower order batting line up, putting the bat balls away and batting for long periods of time and aiming big.

You mentioned that in your view someone like David Warner is not that useful because he may score a 150 at a record strike rate but it is pointless if he gets out before the second new ball and exposes the other batsmen to that second new ball and allows the opposition to get back into the game.
    An opener like Warner is gold in a country like Australia where the ball doesn't do much and he can belt the ball all around the park, but he was one of the main reasons why Australia have not been able to win the Ashes in England. When the ball swings, seams or spins, he simply cannot bat for long, and this puts pressure on the middle-order.

Warner was phenomenal in South Africa in 2013/14 though, but he is far inferior to Cook against lateral movement and also against spin. Overall, Cook has had a much better Test career. This is truly the end of an era, countries do not produce openers like him anymore because Test cricket is a dying breed.