Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

If the ball swings or seams in Australia, Indian batsmen will struggle: Ricky Ponting

Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting said India are likely to struggle in Australia if the ball swings or seams in the Test series later this year.

India lost 1-4 in England in their most recent Test series, and will head to Australia hoping to correct their poor overseas record. India have never won a Test series in Australia and lost their two most recent tours Down Under 0-2 and 0-4 in 2014-15 and 2011-12 respectively.

"If the ball does swing around a lot or seam around a lot then I think India will find it difficult in Australia," Ponting was quoted as saying by cricket.com.au.

"I think any time we saw India struggle through the England series was when the ball moved. As soon as the ball started to move in the air, or seam, the Indian batsmen will always struggle."

Virat Kohli scored 593 runs in the five-Test series in England, but India's failure put his captaincy under scanner, with Sunil Gavaskar criticising the captain's tactics and field placements.

Ponting, though, stayed away from such assessments and said much of leadership is about off-field decisions and planning than on-field tactics.

"I've never sat back and tried to analyse what playing captains do as I know when I was captain on field is about 30 or 40 percent of what you need to be in control of," Ponting said. "The rest of it happens behind closed doors or in the change rooms and quite often back in the hotel when you’ve got time to yourself. Trying to find ways to spend time with your teammates, learn about them inside out and trying to find a way to make them perform better on the field.

"It’s not so much about a bowling change or a field placement as that part of the game is highly overrated as far as I'm concerned. The tactical stuff is normally worked out a few days before the game and then you go with your gut instinct about the game out on the ground once the game starts."

India are not the only nation to struggle away from home, with nearly all Test teams having poor overseas records over the last decade or so. Ponting acknowledged the problem saying Australia too struggle in spinning conditions.

"It’s no different to when Australia go to the subcontinent and the ball spins from day one. We always struggle with that as well," he said. "It’s a 22-yard strip and you’ve got to find a way to get the job done. Most teams find it difficult (to win in Australia) and that's the way Test cricket has been for a long time. I think South Africa are the team over the last 10 or 15 years that have been able to do it more than anyone else."

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...g-1882263.html

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Australia will dominate? lol Dude they had issues against Irfan pathan , Ishant at Perth. Heck even their elite line up had issues against Praveen kumar at the MCG.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never was the brightest spark, Punter.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great discovery by ponting

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hope Cricket Australia heeds Punter's advice and prepares green mamba's. Will be fun to watch

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water is wet. But, This doesn't apply to Virat Kohli. Just like against England, Kohli is going to tear the Australian attack apart limb from limb. All he needs is 1 other batsman to be as half as good as him for support and India may just pull off the unthinkable and become the first Asian team to win a series down under.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Hope Cricket Australia heeds Punter's advice and prepares green mamba's. Will be fun to watch
    I don’t think they can. The grass would die unless it was constantly watered. And there is very little orthodox swing there in the dry air. Unless there is another evening match.

More likely there will be a series of flatties, with a bit of bounce at Perth.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Australia do not look like having 5 proper Test batsmen.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I don’t think they can. The grass would die unless it was constantly watered. And there is very little orthodox swing there in the dry air. Unless there is another evening match.

It will suit India I think.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is Australians are themselves terrible against swing/seam. This is why they haven't won a test series in England from a long while.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

You're right. Also that the Kookaboora is nowhere close to being a Duke nut either. All in all fat tracks likely.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's new there?😒

Everyone will struggle when ball swings or seams a lot.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My question to Ponting is, why does he think there would be swing? It never swings in Australia!

Unless, of course, they plan to keep tampering the balls. With the safety of home broadcasters not ratting these habitual cheaters out, they perhaps feel confident to pull it off?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    My question to Ponting is, why does he think there would be swing? It never swings in Australia!

Unless, of course, they plan to keep tampering the balls. With the safety of home broadcasters not ratting these habitual cheaters out, they perhaps feel confident to pull it off?
    More likely than anything else

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post

You got me cracked up

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Correct for India but the same can also be said for the Austrlians.