Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Samsung unveils foldable smartphone

Yes, this is the phone I've been waiting for since last year. Now the CEO of Samsung's mobile division, DJ Koh confirms that it will be unveiled in November this year.

Samsung will unveil details of a foldable smartphone later this year, the CEO of its mobile division told CNBC, amid rumors that such a device was in the works.

DJ Koh said that "it's time to deliver" on a foldable device after consumer surveys carried out by Samsung showed that there is a market for that kind of handset.

Speaking to CNBC, Koh was tight-lipped on how the folding screen could work but ran through the design thinking of the upcoming smartphone, particularly how Samsung is trying to differentiate the experience from a tablet once it is unfolded.

"You can use most of the uses ... on foldable status. But when you need to browse or see something, then you may need to unfold it. But even unfolded, what kind of benefit does that give compared to the tablet? If the unfolded experience is the same as the tablet, why would they (consumers) buy it?," Koh said at the IFA electronics show in Berlin last week.

"So every device, every feature, every innovation should have a meaningful message to our end customer. So when the end customer uses it, (they think) 'wow, this is the reason Samsung made it'."

The device may sound similar to a traditional flip phone which relied on a hinge to connect the two parts of the handset. But Samsung is likely to focus on creating an actual screen that bends. The Wall Street Journal reported in July that an upcoming foldable smartphone would use a single screen.

Koh hinted that more details of the device could be unveiled this year at the Samsung Developer Conference in November in San Francisco, but gave no indication of when a full launch would take place or when it might go on sale. The mobile CEO admitted that while the development process is "complicated," the company has "nearly concluded" it.

The move comes as Samsung looks to reinvigorate growth in its mobile division which saw sales fall 20 percent year-on-year in the second quarter of 2018. The South Korean technology giant is facing stiff competition from Apple and Huawei in the high-end of the market. A folding phone could differentiate it from its competitors and potentially allow it to charge a higher price for the unique device.

Koh also told CNBC that the company is changing its strategy in the mid-tier smartphone market to pack lower priced devices with new technology in order to appeal more to millennials.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/04/sams...this-year.html

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will it be a bit like those old Motorola phones?

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Will it be a bit like those old Motorola phones?
    No, it'll have a foldable screen.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    No, it'll have a foldable screen.
    It suggest to me that the phone will either fold with the screen on the outside or there will be another screen accessible on the outside when the phone is folded.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it is foldable from horizontal side rather than vertical side which is unfortunately hinted in their patents

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsung made this cheesy concept video about foldable phones back in 2013

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    It suggest to me that the phone will either fold with the screen on the outside or there will be another screen accessible on the outside when the phone is folded.
    From what I've read, there'll be another screen on the phone that will be accessible when it's folded.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I just can't see how it would work and still look like something you want to use.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wavy

"i'M sOrRy, i'M nOt sUpPosED tO teLl yoU tHiS"

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Samsung says its foldable phone will be a tablet you can put in your pocket

D.J. Koh, CEO of Samsung's mobile business, offers a few hints in an interview with CNET.

Samsung's long-rumored foldable phone still hasn't shown up, but its mobile chief offered one compelling case for a product that could easily be written off as a gimmick.

D.J. Koh, CEO of Samsung's mobile business, said you'll be able to use the device as a tablet with multitasking capability before being able to fold it up into a more portable phone.

"When we deliver a foldable phone, it has to be really meaningful to our customer," Koh said in an interview at the sidelines of the Samsung Galaxy A9 launch. "If the user experience is not up to my standard, I don't want to deliver those kind of products."

He once again stressed the foldable phone wouldn't be a "gimmick product" that will "disappear after six to nine months after it's delivered." It'll also be available globally, unlike previous phones like the Galaxy Round, which used a curved display and was available only in Korea.

Samsung has been chasing the holy grail of a foldable phone since it teased one at CES 2013 by showing off a flexible OLED display. Koh confirmed last month that Samsung's upcoming device will be launched this year and could debut as early as next month at Samsung's Developer Conference. The folding capability would mark a major advance in smartphones, which have stagnated with fewer innovations.

Samsung isn't the only company aiming at a foldable phone. Huawei could be gunning to be the first to launch such a device, in November. Huawei beat Apple to become the world's second-largest smartphone maker, and is likely aiming for Samsung's top spot. Launching the first foldable phone could help either company cement a reputation as a trailblazer and create buzz that could trickle down to its more traditional, and cheaper, phones.

The larger screen is important, Koh said. When Samsung first released the original Galaxy Note, he said, competitors called its device dead on arrival. Now, after generations of Notes phones, you see larger devices like the iPhone XS Max and the Pixel 3 XL, proving that consumers want bigger screens. A foldable phone would let screen sizes extend beyond 6.5 inches.

"Possibly when we start selling the foldable phone, it may be a niche market, but definitely, it will expand," Koh said. "I'm positive that we do need a foldable phone."

Link: https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ce...n-your-pocket/

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A $2000 smartphone - where will it end?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1754 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post

It's not meant for every Tom Dick or Harry..... iPhone with garbage specs is selling for 1200 bucks, I'm sure there will be people around with enough dough to get a unique foldable phone even if it costs 2k.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    The Beefcake Bakery
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's trash.

Overthinking will kill you.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would never buy the foldable phone.

Looks extremely ugly.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait for version 2 or version 3.
    Front screen bazels are huge & that ugly notch inside folded display ruins the design. Lack of "s pen digitizer" support also doesn't make sense.
    It is expensive because the display technology is new & complications involving in making them makes it expensive.
    Overall I am all in for idea of foldable phones & in the next five years I see majority of people jumping on it as the technology gets cheaper & design gets better.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    It's trash.
    People don’t accept trash, even for free, but I am sure you will take this ętrashĽ with open arms if you were offered this for free.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    The screen without the fold is too small and the phone is too thick.

Nevertheless, I believe that it is a very good concept but needs more work. The screen without the fold needs to be bigger with less bulk.

Price is not a problem. Most people do not understand how pricing works and are predictably moaning about it everywhere.

At $2,000 it is actually cheap. It serves a dual purpose - a phone and a tablet. Unless you invest in junk models, buying a phone and a tablet is going to cost more.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gimmicky like Samsung Curved TVs.

Early days but lets see how things UNFOLD for this product

Also IMO I would never go for first gen tech these days.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post

Around Feb 2020 Apple would unveil a foldable phone and the infinite apple fans will go like

Oh wow, Apple has invented true future, what immense science and sorcery to have a foldable phone, take that u non-master android race, we ahead of you people

ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoUgandaCranes View Post
    Around Feb 2020 Apple would unveil a foldable phone and the infinite apple fans will go like

Oh wow, Apple has invented true future, what immense science and sorcery to have a foldable phone, take that u non-master android race, we ahead of you people
    its more like Apple perfecting samsungs rubbish innovation, then samsung boys will go wild and think they came with the centrys biggest invention.

It works like this, apple innovates and samsung copies, when samsung innovates it has to be perfected by apple.

If you want to destroy a country, just create enmity between its people and their army - Salahuddin

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making inward folding phone is difficult compared to outward folding phone.
    Something only samsung has achieved so far.

Huawei is going to launch possibly best designed folding phone so far. Although it folds outward but looks epic.
    Last edited by introvert; 24th February 2019 at 16:00.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am the kind of person who only buys a new phone when I need my last one has given up, so this would be appealing despite the price tag. I dont like carrying a massive brick in my pocket but do enjoy the larger screen.

Will be interesting to see the apple equivalent

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disaster in the making for Samsung.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is reported that some reviewers removed protective layer which leads to display failure.

Only verge's device looks like developed some internal metal part failure which leads to display bulge.
    Anyway it's marketing disaster for Samsung.

Wait for full reviews about galaxy fold before passing judgement.
    Overall I am impressed with device from whatever I have seen on internet & exited for future devices with better designs.
    Future devices will be cheaper & priced closer to current flapship devices.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by introvert View Post
    It is reported that some reviewers removed protective layer which leads to display failure.

Only verge's device looks like developed some internal metal part failure which leads to display bulge.
    Anyway it's marketing disaster for Samsung.

Wait for full reviews about galaxy fold before passing judgement.
    Overall I am impressed with device from whatever I have seen on internet & exited for future devices with better designs.
    Future devices will be cheaper & priced closer to current flapship devices.
    Wanted to post this. 2 more years, and I believe foldable phones would be the hottest thing on the smartphone market. Not just Samsung, all other brands are trying to come up with their own foldable phones and that includes Apple.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Wanted to post this. 2 more years, and I believe foldable phones would be the hottest thing on the smartphone market. Not just Samsung, all other brands are trying to come up with their own foldable phones and that includes Apple.
    It's natural progression after all & there is no other way to increase the screen size without sacrificing pocketability.
    Also I think current smartphone designs reached saturation point.
    Foldable phones are way more cooler than current flat slabs & the naysayers will be first to jump on foldable phones bandwagon once their favorite brands launch it.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samsung Electronics retrieving all Galaxy Fold samples: Source

SEOUL: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is retrieving all Galaxy Fold samples distributed to reviewers to investigate reports of broken screens, a day after it postponed the phone's launch, a person with direct knowledge of the matter said on Tuesday (Apr 23).

The retrieval comes as the world's biggest smartphone maker met with embarrassment ahead of the foldable device's US release on Apr 26, with a handful of technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after a day's use.

The South Korean tech giant postponed the handset's launch for an unspecified period of time while it investigated the matter. It said initial findings showed the issues could be associated with impact on exposed areas of the hinges.

A representative declined to comment further on Tuesday.

Samsung's share price was 0.4 per cent lower as of 0425 GMT, in a flat Seoul market. However, parts suppliers fell, with hinge maker KH Vatec Co Ltd shedding 3.1 per cent.

A person with direct knowledge of the supply chain said KH Vatec conducted an internal review of hinges used in the Galaxy Fold and found no defects. The supplier declined to comment.

In March, Samsung released a video showing robots folding Galaxy Fold handsets 200,000 times for its durability test.

Samsung's head of IT and mobile communications, DJ Koh, has repeatedly said foldables are the future of smartphones.

Though the issue does not hurt Samsung's balance sheet, the postponement damages the firm's effort to showcase itself as an innovative first mover, not a fast follower, analysts said.

In some cases, reviewers had peeled off a layer of film which they mistook for a disposable screen protector.

"It's disastrous that Samsung sent samples to reviewers without clear instructions on how to handle the device, and that the firm needs to fix screen flickering," said analyst Kim Young-woo at SK Securities.

One Samsung employee, speaking on condition of anonymity, said, "On the bright side, we have an opportunity to nail down this issue and fix it before selling the phones to a massive audience, so they won't have same complaints."

Samsung emailed pre-order customers upon delaying the launch, online outlets said on Twitter.

"Your pre-order guarantees your place in the queue for this innovative technology," Samsung said in the email. "We'll update you with more specific shipping information in two weeks."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ource-11470350

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Texas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2000 phone is not feasable at all but I guess when iphone first came out in 2007 price tag was $500- $600 that was un heard of at the time

"There is nothing more dangerous than unquestioning obedience"

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QazzarFan View Post
    $2000 phone is not feasable at all but I guess when iphone first came out in 2007 price tag was $500- $600 that was un heard of at the time
    It is cheaper than buying a top of the line phone and tablet, so the pricing makes sense.

If you buy the latest iPhone/Galaxy and the latest iPad/Galaxy Tab, it is going to cost you more than the Fold.

I personally feel this is the future of smartphones. Samsung will clear out the kinks in 2-3 years and Apple will perfect the innovation whenever they release the iFold.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not a folding phone, but a folding tablet. Its nice.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    When did Samsung move from copying IPhone to making something that looks different?