Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Imad Wasim unfortunately couldn't pass the fitness test, we don't compromise on fitness" : Inzamam

Inzamam-ul-Haq at a press conference after announcement of Pakistan squad for Asia Cup:

"We have announced a squad of 16 players including 6 fast-bowlers, keeping in mind the harsh and hot weather in UAE"

"If you look at domestic cricket records, what Shan Masood has done in List A cricket over the past year includes 1300 runs which includes a world record. We thought he deserves a chance ahead of the World Cup"

"ACC has allowed us to name a squad of 16 due to the hot weather. Fast bowling puts a lot of stress on the players so we don't want to overburden them (so there's an extra pacer in the squad)"

"We have a squad of 20-22 players who we are looking at for the World Cup and Hafeez is included in that but we thought we would give Shan Masood a chance this time. Hafeez is a good player and he bowls too but we have some other options as well. We want to try a few things in the Asia Cup as well"

"Regarding Imad Wasim, we have a clear policy that only players who pass the fitness tests will be selected. This isn't only for Imad Wasim, it's for all players. If they fail a test once, we give them another opportunity. Imad Wasim unfortunately couldn't pass it, though we know that his performances in the past have been very good. However, we don't compromise on fitness"

"Mohammad Hafeez's career is definitely not finished. Firstly, we don't have the right to select a team and then say that someone's career is over. Secondly, I have stated that he is in the pool of players that are in our sights for the 2019 World Cup"

"There is no special reason for dropping Hafeez, but Shan Masood has outperformed everyone in domestic 50-over cricket and we want to have a look at him"

"My work is to select players, I don't tell them to hit themselves with a bat or not. That's not my job. This is up to the player. Whoever has good performances will get opportunities as long as there are spots available in the Pakistan team. There are many players who perform well in domestic cricket but there aren't any slots available in the team so they don't get a chance and that is tough for them. We try to give every player who performs a chance if possible"

"Our team should play to its full strength, doesn't matter if Virat Kohli is there or not. The way the Pakistan team has been performing in the last year or so, they should play good cricket. Virat is a big player so they will feel his loss but their team is good"

"Whoever has performed should aim to do even better in future. Fakhar and Imam performed very well in Zimbabwe. But if they are content after that, I don't think that's right. They should always aim to do even better"

"Sarfaraz hasn't lived up to the expectations we have of him with the bat. He hasn't delivered in recent times but now he has changed his batting position and his performances are better and insha'Allah he will keep improving"

"Yasir Shah is a world class bowler but he is returning from injury and needs to play more to come back into rhythm. Once he comes back into rhythm, I think he is the number one FC bowler"

"Ahmed Shehzad is a good player. If he is cleared or his punishment is served, then he can be in contention for selection if there are spots available in the squad"

"With regards to wicket-keepers, we haven't sent another keeper with the team for a while as Sarfaraz is covering all the bases. We needed an extra fast-bowler in the squad as they are required in practice sessions as well and we don't want to put too much pressure on them in the heat"

"All teams are strong in the Asia Cup, none of them can be taken lightly. I won't say that the Pakistan team is weak or strong but in all 3 aspects, I think we have seen betterment in recent times and that is an unending process. If we keep on improving, that's a good sign"

"Sometimes our players aren't tested like in the Zimbabwe series, it can happen in a tournament that openers keep scoring and the lower order doesn't get to bat in pressure situations so once they are exposed to it, it can be troublesome. We are keeping that in mind and thus during the Zimbabwe series, we tried to promote guys such as Asif Ali and Faheem Ashraf up the order at times so that they can be better prepared to be able to handle crunch situations"

"We won the Champions Trophy in away conditions, we won a T20 series recently away as well. It's true that senior players are important in big series, the better they perform, the better the team does. I am not saying that we have reached an optimum level but I think we are constantly improving"

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see there are no compromises.

Idiotic comments about Sarfraz incoming despite him passing the test easily

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was only a matter of time before Imad failed a fitness test, his weight gain since his debut has been shocking

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone expect a sharamful conference after this from imad?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How embarrassing.

I imagine he will be going back to the CPL with his tail between his legs.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like Talat is out of plans for world cup.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eagerly awaits the meme of Inzy captioned with "We don't comprise on fitness".

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sad for Imad .

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys need to take kohli as an inspiration on fitness

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This should be a good wake up call for Wasim.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shehzad shouldn't walk into the squad once he returns. He must prove himself in the domestic.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    About time Imad Wasim got the Umar Akmal treatment

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's no big loss at all. Wish Shan Masood was unfit as well.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

Damage control. The last time Imad played for Pakistan seems an age ago, but this is a very public shaming. He probably didn't expect Inzi to announce it lol.

Credit to Mickey though. A lot of people were claiming Imad was the apple of Mickey's eye and would receive favourable treatment but Mickey has shut them up.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I have seen enough of Shan Masood to know that this is a futile selection.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Damage control. The last time Imad played for Pakistan seems an age ago, but this is a very public shaming. He probably didn't expect Inzi to announce it lol.

Credit to Mickey though. A lot of people were claiming Imad was the apple of Mickey's eye and would receive favourable treatment but Mickey has shut them up.
    Let's not forget you were one of these people half a year ago.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    I have seen enough of Shan Masood to know that this is a futile selection.
    Despite being a massive critic of his Test performances, such legendary stats do vouch for a selection in ODIs and let's not forget, the two formats are completely different altogether. Be it the red cherry, the conditions and the overall atmosphere of Test match cricket, it did not suit Shan.

Perhaps ODIs will see the second coming of this man.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    Let's not forget you were one of these people half a year ago.
    You have said you know Imad from club cricket so I appreciate you might be a little sensitive about this failed test but I don't believe I was "one of these people half a year ago."

I have never suggested (unlike some other posters) that Imad was getting preferential treatment when it came to fitness tests etc. If I did, kindly quote the relevant post and then I can comment.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think more than anything this sends a very strong message. There can't be any compromise on fitness and good to see it's being implemented aswell.

More than anything this is a wake-up call for Imad. I do think he deserves some slack. Coming back from a lengthy injury isn't easy. Hopefully he takes this positively and works towards returning to the LOI side for the NZ series.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1536 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Decent comments, but I actually didn't buy his logic of selecting 6 pacers for a Tournament in UAE. Even if I consider net practice, that exposes other side of the game plan from him & definitely Arthur - at nets, I expect PAK batsmen to practice at least twice against spin than pace, as in UAE other 4 teams including AFGs would put at least 25 overs of spin, if not 35 and lots of quality spinner there.

Now, this squad is left with Shadab & Nawaz, may be Malik a bit (& Haris, subject to his fitness) - how long they can keep bowling at nets considering both Shadab & Malik are all-rounders and a vital cog in batting (while Haris is No. 4/5), means they also need to bat significant time in nets. Also, practicing against darts of Nawaz & Haris isn't going to help much against better spinners. A genuine SLAO finger spinner was must for this tour, even for nets.

But, I liked his comments on Ahmed - classy response.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might as well have excluded Sarfraz and Haris from the squad as well. Their fitness levels are unacceptable. Standards have improved, but they need to go even higher.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imad has been seen often at HOWDY and JESSIE's fast food outlets in Islamabad. I personally met Imad and Babar Azam there, they were eating burgers.

Everyone knows an athlete is not supposed to eat food like burgers, fries etc. This should be a wake up call for Imad. However, I still think he's a better package than Nawaz currently.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Imad has been seen often at HOWDY and JESSIE's fast food outlets in Islamabad. I personally met Imad and Babar Azam there, they were eating burgers.

Everyone knows an athlete is not supposed to eat food like burgers, fries etc. This should be a wake up call for Imad. However, I still think he's a better package than Nawaz currently.
    Incorrect. During offseason, athletes eat whatever they want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPF0qa1jKt4

He's out of shape because he hasn't put the work in.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post

These guys were in their mid-20s in this video and they were among the best in the league. Now looking at them (in early/mid 30s), LeBron, CP3 and Dwight have completely changed their diets. They will rarely cheat meals even in off-season. One of the other guys (D-Will) has struggled with weight throughout his career and was dropped from his team due to poor performance.

So I think it is okay to eat unhealthy during offseason (even young Kobe did this), but only if you are young.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    These guys were in their mid-20s in this video and they were among the best in the league. Now looking at them (in early/mid 30s), LeBron, CP3 and Dwight have completely changed their diets. They will rarely cheat meals even in off-season. One of the other guys (D-Will) has struggled with weight throughout his career and was dropped from his team due to poor performance.

So I think it is okay to eat unhealthy during offseason (even young Kobe did this), but only if you are young.
    What's your point? I know who they are.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What's your point? I know who they are.

Just saying that diet becomes a more important factor in fitness as one gets older.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Looked like he's been putting on some weight in recent times and also injury problems won't have helped.

My question though would be, why did the PCB let him go and play in the CPL? Surely he should have been at the NCA working with the coaches to get back to full fitness.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might as well have excluded Sarfraz and Haris from the squad as well. Their fitness levels are unacceptable. Standards have improved, but they need to go even higher.
    Why should they have been excluded from the squad? They passed the test unlike Imad who failed the test twice.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by world cup captain View Post
    Why should they have been excluded from the squad? They passed the test unlike Imad who failed the test twice.
    The test should be harder

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The test should be harder
    Then the only batsmen who would make the squad would be Fakhar, Imam and Masood.

“I've never lost a game I just ran out of time.” Micheal Jordan

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sour grapes anyone?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Seems like Talat is out of plans for world cup.
    That's great. He's highly overrated anyway.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Man View Post
    That's great. He's highly overrated anyway.
    Haha we should invest in him. Lambi race ka ghora hai. He has some attitude issues though.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha we should invest in him. Lambi race ka ghora hai. He has some attitude issues though.
    Not impressed. Can't time the ball, doesn't have a lot of shots, and as you said, has some attitude issues.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz scored higher than Malik in the Yo-Yo test. Unacceptable still or dhaandhli?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Eagerly awaits the meme of Inzy captioned with "We don't comprise on fitness".
    Inzi took one for the team. He ate all the pies so his mates could stay slim.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a bit of self education is required here, Standard is standard both sarfraz and haris have met the minimum standard required in yo yo test and cant be excluded on fitness grounds.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post

Diet requirements very much depends on metabolism looking at the above two Babar can afford a burger every now and then but Imad probably cant afford many.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have said you know Imad from club cricket so I appreciate you might be a little sensitive about this failed test but I don't believe I was "one of these people half a year ago."

I have never suggested (unlike some other posters) that Imad was getting preferential treatment when it came to fitness tests etc. If I did, kindly quote the relevant post and then I can comment.
    I personally know Imad, yes, but I've played with multiple players that have represented Pakistan or are close to selection. So therefore, there's no bias involved.

Coming to Imad, I'm dismayed but not appalled. He clearly let himself go and was becoming a victim of the starboy attitude. However, I'm sure he's going to bounce back stronger because he's got a good head on his shoulders. The only reason I support him is because I feel as though he fits into the team like a missing puzzle piece.

His bowling is very difficult to decipher, especially for non-Asian teams however not it is not his wicket-taking ability that appeals to me, it is his ability to stem the flow of runs thereby, creating pressure and providing the rest of the feast on batsmen playing with low strike-rates.

Whether you agree it or not, fit or otherwise, Imad walks over Nawaz any day. However, I am very delighted to know that Mickey and Inzi will not compromise on fitness. It just sets a good precedent.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    I personally know Imad, yes, but I've played with multiple players that have represented Pakistan or are close to selection. So therefore, there's no bias involved.

Coming to Imad, I'm dismayed but not appalled. He clearly let himself go and was becoming a victim of the starboy attitude. However, I'm sure he's going to bounce back stronger because he's got a good head on his shoulders. The only reason I support him is because I feel as though he fits into the team like a missing puzzle piece.

His bowling is very difficult to decipher, especially for non-Asian teams however not it is not his wicket-taking ability that appeals to me, it is his ability to stem the flow of runs thereby, creating pressure and providing the rest of the feast on batsmen playing with low strike-rates.

Whether you agree it or not, fit or otherwise, Imad walks over Nawaz any day. However, I am very delighted to know that Mickey and Inzi will not compromise on fitness. It just sets a good precedent.
    That's all well and good, but what happened to the accusation you levelled at me? You should either substantiate it or apologise.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An absolute disgrace that a player can maintain basic fitness levels to represent their country. Could be the wake up call for him.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attitude issues? Since when?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imad's fitness issue doesn't even surprise me. My thing here is that even if he does make a comeback what else does he have to offer with the ball? Or will it be the same one-trick-pony arm balls he constantly bowls? If it's that, then he's one Virat Kohli run leaking session away from being dropped perhaps permanently. And I haven't heard if his power hitting has made any leaps so I assume that hasn't changed.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Looked like he's been putting on some weight in recent times and also injury problems won't have helped.

My question though would be, why did the PCB let him go and play in the CPL? Surely he should have been at the NCA working with the coaches to get back to full fitness.
    I asked Mickey about this and he said that they were told Imad was working very hard at the CPL. He has lost weight but knows what is expected of him and the standards.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " We don;t compromise on fitness except in one case

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    " We don;t compromise on fitness except in one case
    "That one case scored 18.2 in the fitness test, but we will sack him as captain and drop him anyway to satisfy some fans who want that to happen"

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt there is something like off season these days.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a professional athlete. Fitness should just be basic things for him. Shameful really he didn't pass.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "That one case scored 18.2 in the fitness test, but we will sack him as captain and drop him anyway to satisfy some fans who want that to happen"

Came here to say this. For some it seems you shouldn't let facts get in the way of opinions!

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Came here to say this. For some it seems you shouldn't let facts get in the way of opinions!
    Sarfraz needs to flaunt a six pack for this undeserved hate to disappear.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Sarfraz needs to flaunt a six pack for this undeserved hate to disappear.
    They'll complain it's not an eight pack...

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Inzi took one for the team. He ate all the pies so his mates could stay slim.
    What a team player he still is.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll complain it's not an eight pack...
    Hate game is strong here

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Sarfraz needs to flaunt a six pack for this criticism to disappear.
    Agree with this. He needs to stop eating biryani.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes lol.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How ironic, Inzi taking a no nonsense approach to fitness.