Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umpires' intervention on an unplayable pitch

Lately we observed some instances of a pitch giving undue advantage to a certain side. A typical scenario being day-4/5 wicket being drastically different from the first three to three and half days, thus being of significant disadvantage to side batting last. This is typical of sub continent wickets. England losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions on a surface that was apprarently dead for the 4 days suddenly transformed into a minefield thus playing against England. Another scenario being the day night test matches wherein side having to bat under lights has a disadvantage over the opposition. PAK in the recent Brisbane test were the victim. While the degree of advantage or disadvantage is still subjective, do we have a provision within the cricketing laws that allow Umpires to monitor this situation and take a call on whether a particular side gets undue advantage for external factors beyond cricketing skills and call it a draw in such situations.

It's a known fact that home teams prepare surfaces considering their respective strengths but the surface/ conditions should be fair both teams. If not, on field Umpires/ match referees should make due intervention and suspend the match.

While many on this forum may feel that such occurrences of a side enjoying advantage may be evened out in the course of a series but unfortunately not true.

Requesting inputs from friends on this forum.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The only reason England were batting 'last' were because they couldn't restrict us in our batting innings.

A typical, expected thread, but fails to observe that we lost 4 tosses in a 5-game series.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did England really lose 10 wickets on a minefield?

England won the toss and they had to bat 3rd on the pitch. If they can't even bat 3rd on a pitch how do you expect them to bat 4th on a pitch?

Pakistan had unfair disadvantage when the lights were on, yet when the surface became dead, Pakistan nearly chased 490 runs on two days even when lights were on.

Moral of the story :

If a team plays below par, any pitch is good enough for a team to lose.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good luck getting the umpires to decide the difference between poor performance and poor conditions.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A guy scores a triple century and 24 hrs later it's a minefield? Most visitors to India can only dream of a pitch that good for batting on the fifth day

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minefield. English fans, never change.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    A guy scores a triple century and 24 hrs later it's a minefield? Most visitors to India can only dream of a pitch that good for batting on the fifth day
    I can't really think of any reason for a side losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions. England I must admit has been the best player of spin of all non Asian teams in recent times. To see a side comprising of Cook, Root, Barston, Stokes, Ali and all collapse in this slot is baffling to say the least and can't be attributed to bowling alone. Pitch/ conditions definitely played it's part.

Turning to the Pakistan / Aussie game, Pakistan having to bat under lights was the main contributor in Pak's shortfall. They are the more deserving winners.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewittry View Post
    I can't really think of any reason for a side losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions. England I must admit has been the best player of spin of all non Asian teams in recent times. To see a side comprising of Cook, Root, Barston, Stokes, Ali and all collapse in this slot is baffling to say the least and can't be attributed to bowling alone. Pitch/ conditions definitely played it's part.

Turning to the Pakistan / Aussie game, Pakistan having to bat under lights was the main contributor in Pak's shortfall. They are the more deserving winners.
    What happened to Pakistan batting under lights the 2nd time for two consecutive days?

They forgot to turn the lights on?

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am not being biased here and am not speaking as a fan for any team. My whole point is that the Conditions should be the same/ similar for both teams to represent a fair contest.

The 2 matches quoted here and several others do not seem to be so and therefore should be part of the umpires / referees' jurisdiction.

Sorry if I have been misunderstood / misinterpreted here.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    What happened to Pakistan batting under lights the 2nd time for two consecutive days?

They forgot to turn the lights on?
    I am referring to the first innings which proved fatal for Pakistan. Second innings was more even.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minefield like seriously, cook played at a rank bad ball which was going to be 4 byes most likely, jennings tried to step out ended up a metre short and then tried to kick the ball. Root missed a sweep whereball barely spun. Moeen showed he is an idiot, stoke was gone to a good ball which was not unplayable and bairstow was another idiot who got out to one of most innocuous balls which did nothing, please tell me where this minefield affected the match.

Also i agree with you, you sir are not biased just dumb. Rather than blaming the pitch blame your mindless stupid batting, maybe next ask the umpires to stop kohli from scoring big hundreds and make him score those 80's like root at least that would make sense.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagatk View Post
    Minefield like seriously, cook played at a rank bad ball which was going to be 4 byes most likely, jennings tried to step out ended up a metre short and then tried to kick the ball. Root missed a sweep whereball barely spun. Moeen showed he is an idiot, stoke was gone to a good ball which was not unplayable and bairstow was another idiot who got out to one of most innocuous balls which did nothing, please tell me where this minefield affected the match.

Also i agree with you, you sir are not biased just dumb. Rather than blaming the pitch blame your mindless stupid batting, maybe next ask the umpires to stop kohli from scoring big hundreds and make him score those 80's like root at least that would make sense.
    And in one simple stroke, jagatk pummels the OP's argument to the ground.

Majority of the dismissals were self inflicted.

Only Stokes dismissal was something you could say the pitch played a bit of a role and that too the "grip" part...not the turn part.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can't really think of any reason for a side losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions.
    Crap batting.

There's your reason.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am referring to the first innings which proved fatal for Pakistan. Second innings was more even.
    The first inning played under the lights was by Australia on the first day and they didn't lose a wicket.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This kind of thought process is highly subjective while simply put, this would be extremely controversial to say the least. Umpire intervention should only be brought in, during a match i.e. if anything artificial or man made is compounded to the game; Case in point - Faf's Lolly - Not when something as natural as nature of soil or wind or any other earthly factor determines a change in conditions.

When SL toured England during the English summer earlier this year, there was excessive rain which caused perfect swinging conditions for bowlers. Carrying forward the same logic that you're using, these kind of conditions are normal for the English batters but for a team from the Sub Continent it would be an added difficulty to the much alien conditions on offer.

Non Subcontinental teams, no matter how much they try to deceive themselves will always struggle when playing on turners in the Sub Continent, especially in India. You need proper technique, an intrinsic ability to rise and crouch with the ball's flight, low hands and trigger movement to negate the spinning deliveries that spit from the rough. These kind of things cannot be taught in the nets, they come with game time experience, which subcontinental players do, day in day out, since their U-15/U-13 days.

Also if any leading English, South African, Australian or Kiwi player wants to accomplish a credible repertoire to actually play spin then he/she needs to come and spend game time at the Rajni Trophy or Tournaments like QeA and Irani Cup.

The reverse is true for Subcontinental batsmen but unlike the above mentioned players, cricketers from the sub continent do play in County and Shield games and get to know the conditions over the course of their careers which in turn makes them more rounded cricketers than their Non-Subcontinental counterparts.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    The first inning played under the lights was by Australia on the first day and they didn't lose a wicket.
    I believe you will appreciate the difference between batting for a series of sessions before getting into lights vs being made to open under lights.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this may not be the decision of on field Umpires. The third umpire / match referees can be delegated with this assessment.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India won fair and square, embarrassed England through the series - pitches don't change so drastically in one day that one team scores so freely to the other losing 10 wickets. India took full advantage of home conditions and England were rolled over - nothing unfair about the pitch.

Home advantage is exactly what it should be - home advantage! India may struggle in England under clouds, but then no one would say anything about the wickets not being fair for them.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here are two possible reasons for you to consider. The batting side batted poorly. The bowling side bowled well. Apparently the pitch was fine in the first session, but turned into a minefield over lunch. Wonder if landmines were on the menu?

Anyone with a bit of sense should understand if the umpires had the power to declare a draw, and did exercise that power it would cause a such a big controversy that power would be taken away immediately.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 20th December 2016 at 18:00.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't believe me, fair enough, at least read Vic Marks in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-series-defeat

........... a match that should have been consigned to the record books as a quirky run-fest. Instead it will be remembered for a spineless capitulation triggered not by a batting lineup who do not care but one drained by the demands of an exhausting tour and overwhelmed by the constant excellence of an India side who have ruthlessly exploited their frailties. The result was a procession of batsmen, all with accomplishments at this level, performed like callow novices.
    ... the pitch was so much more benign than in Dhaka, as the scorecard hints. One difference was the England dressing room had nothing left to give in Chennai; their bodies may still ripple with muscles but their minds are exhausted. No matter how reliable the surface they found a way to get out.
    What else is there to add?
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th December 2016 at 15:31.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can't really think of any reason for a side losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions.
    I will help you here. It's called pathetic batting. Eng won toss 4 times and batted first on pretty much flat track in entire series. Losing 4 tests by a huge margin is simply poor cricket by Eng.

This series has been as flat as you can imagine over 5 tests series.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It will be good once in a while if you see the match and make an argument then read the "timelines" of play.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately we observed some instances of a pitch giving undue advantage to a certain side. A typical scenario being day-4/5 wicket being drastically different from the first three to three and half days, thus being of significant disadvantage to side batting last. This is typical of sub continent wickets. England losing 10 wickets in little over 2 sessions on a surface that was apprarently dead for the 4 days suddenly transformed into a minefield thus playing against England. Another scenario being the day night test matches wherein side having to bat under lights has a disadvantage over the opposition. PAK in the recent Brisbane test were the victim. While the degree of advantage or disadvantage is still subjective, do we have a provision within the cricketing laws that allow Umpires to monitor this situation and take a call on whether a particular side gets undue advantage for external factors beyond cricketing skills and call it a draw in such situations.

It's a known fact that home teams prepare surfaces considering their respective strengths but the surface/ conditions should be fair both teams. If not, on field Umpires/ match referees should make due intervention and suspend the match.

While many on this forum may feel that such occurrences of a side enjoying advantage may be evened out in the course of a series but unfortunately not true.

Requesting inputs from friends on this forum.
    Eng did not lose a wkt for nearly half a days worth of play on Day 5 !! How did the pitch suddenly change ? Can you logically explain that and back it with sound reasoning and facts ?

Even the most biased English fan will find it hard to blame the pitch here.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The umpires should also come down hard on captains using mysterious switches that turn the pitch from road in one moment to a minefield in another.

Too often home captains have been allowed to go scot free. The ICC needs to have some accountability after their farce in dealing with the mintgate.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree. Umpires should stop the play when they feel opposition lacks quality and are unfairly being pummeled by the other side.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Also if any leading English, South African, Australian or Kiwi player wants to accomplish a credible repertoire to actually play spin then he/she needs to come and spend game time at the Rajni Trophy or Tournaments like QeA and Irani Cup.

The reverse is true for Subcontinental batsmen but unlike the above mentioned players, cricketers from the sub continent do play in County and Shield games and get to know the conditions over the course of their careers which in turn makes them more rounded cricketers than their Non-Subcontinental counterparts.
    This played a big part in the success of the Pakistan team in England in the 70's, '80's and 90's, and the popularity of the Pakistani cricketers amongst England cricket fans, since virtually all of the Pakistani cricketers played County cricket in England during the 70's, '80's, and to some extent, the 90's. And those who did not manage to bag county contracts played club cricket in the Lancashire, Yorkshire and other club cricket leagues.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nombre View Post
    Minefield. English fans, never change.
    One English fan, if you please. Avoid generalisations, as they make you look as daft as the OP.

Anyhoo, I can only recall one test match ever being called off due to the pitch - it was in WI when England were about 18-5 on the first morning. The ball was alternatively shooting and steepling and someone was liable to get killed.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    One English fan, if you please. Avoid generalisations, as they make you look as daft as the OP.

Anyhoo, I can only recall one test match ever being called off due to the pitch - it was in WI when England were about 18-5 on the first morning. The ball was alternatively shooting and steepling and someone was liable to get killed.
    Especially with the likes of Ambrose and Walsh steaming in and throwing 90 mph projectiles from 10 feet high.

It was 17-3 at Sabina Park in 1998 when the match was abandoned.

There was another WI - England match abandoned after only 10 balls in 2009, due to a poor outfield. The bowlers kept slipping during the run-up.

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I distinctly remember a match getting abandoned at the Feroz Shah Kotla due to a dangerous pitch.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    More like England and Pakistan need to learn to bat better.
    Last edited by Haroon786; 20th December 2016 at 21:24.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So here we have another example. Pakistan having to bat with several intervals and under cloudy conditions for the better part of their first innings and Aussies enjoying the better part of sunny perfect batting conditions to post near 650.

And then we had the ball reversing in the later stages of final day which never happened in the better part of the test match.

This is where I wanted the game administrators to do little more thinking to bring about a balance to the game.

I know this may not go well with some of my friends but this is the reality these days.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So here we have another example. Pakistan having to bat with several intervals and under cloudy conditions for the better part of their first innings and Aussies enjoying the better part of sunny perfect batting conditions to post near 650.

And then we had the ball reversing in the later stages of final day which never happened in the better part of the test match.

This is where I wanted the game administrators to do little more thinking to bring about a balance to the game.

I know this may not go well with some of my friends but this is the reality these days.
    Yes, ball was reversing when Pakistan were 100-6 on a flat track today.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you actually watch the match ? Aus also batted thru rain interruptions and Pak bowlers also bowled on the same Day 5 pitch. The Pak top order self destructed and then Starc completely blew the tail away.

Sydney Bangalore Manchester Centurion Durban Jo'burg Mohali Colombo Dhaka Adelaide Kolkata

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As i feel it was aus who were supposed to play last inning on day five but unfortunately due to rain to most extent it ends up being played by us.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another torrid pitch on display wherein side batting first had unfair advantage. Conditions were good for batting on day 3 which the Indians capitalised but then with the wear and tear turned into a minefield on day 4 and by the time Aussies began their run chase. A bad advertisement for test cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wickets for spinners on these pitches deserve more disdain than all the tons our players rack up on the ugly UAE tracks.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Instagram!

Please also follow PakPassion Sport!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another torrid pitch on display wherein side batting first had unfair advantage. Conditions were good for batting on day 3 which the Indians capitalised but then with the wear and tear turned into a minefield on day 4 and by the time Aussies began their run chase. A bad advertisement for test cricket.
    You show up only when india win, pune pitch was a lot worse yet we heard a zilch from you as we lost. Also you though chennia pitch was a unsporting doctored wicket so that tells everything about your level of knowledge of cricket
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 7th March 2017 at 17:21.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you actually watched the match Aussies actually had a huge lead (for a low scoring match) even though they batted 2nd.

And others have pointed out plenty of other issues with your logic but I will be surprised if you actually showed up here and answered those posts.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You show up only when india win, pune pitch was a lot worse yet we heard a zilch from you as we lost. Also you though chennia pitch was a unsporting doctored wicket so that tells everything about your level of knowledge of cricket
    I did mention earlier that the infamous Chennai pitch was turning square on the final day of the test match thereby giving undue advantage to Indian spinners. That where I insisted umpire'so intervention to ensure fair play.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I did mention earlier that the infamous Chennai pitch was turning square on the final day of the test match thereby giving undue advantage to Indian spinners. That where I insisted umpire'so intervention to ensure fair play.
    What about flat pitches which give undue advantage to batsman, or seamer friendly pitches which give undue advantage to seamers? Should all pitches be banned?

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    What about flat pitches which give undue advantage to batsman, or seamer friendly pitches which give undue advantage to seamers? Should all pitches be banned?
    I am talking about pitches that behave drastically different at different times of the match and thus gives advantage to a certain team. Chennai pitch was an example and the recent Bangalore pitch was another one.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am talking about pitches that behave drastically different at different times of the match and thus gives advantage to a certain team. Chennai pitch was an example and the recent Bangalore pitch was another one.
    Seamer friendly pitches ease out after a while, so the team bowling first has an advantage.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever a team from the subcontinent tour South Africa, they get to play on 'green mambas'

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how do you explain Eng not losing any wkts in the 1st session on Day 5 in that Test at Chennai ?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The pitch was fine lol more like Australia just need to play spin better.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let me get this straight

1. Aus won at Pune and India were bundled out for 100 odd in both innings, on a pitch which was deemed as Day 8 pitch on Day 1, but no comment from OP

2. India all out for 189 with Lyon taking 8 fer and Aus score 260 odd in first innings and ye pitch is fine, no comment from OP

3. Aus capitulate to 112 all out, OP wakes up and decides to make an entry in here and give us some precious insight.

Huge respect for being so unbiased!

"Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope now at least the posters would agree with me about umpires intervening on this treacherous pitch in the West Indies. Just yesterday the West Indies middle order were making merry against the Pak bowlers. It took a loose shot for Hope to give Pak an opening but till then the pitch looked harmless.

It is a completely different wicket now. Every second delivery is misbehaving, shooting like a missile.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the current laws allow umpires to call off the match due to unplayable pitch?

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pitch is dodgy but you still need to bowl well to take advantage of it.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do the current laws allow umpires to call off the match due to unplayable pitch?
    Yeah, if conditions are dangerous or unreasonable the umpires can suspend play. Laws 3.8 and 3.9. This is why they take players off for bad light or rain for example.

Keep in mind that the law does say that "Conditions shall not be regarded as either dangerous or unreasonable merely because they are not ideal.".

This pitch is not ideal but that isn't necessarily the same as being dangerous or unreasonable.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the OP would bump this thread in disgust after SAF collapsed on the 4th day .... I guess that happens only when certain teams are at the receiving end (especially at the hands of India ) ... thanks for the laughs though.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English conditions for once give unfair advantage with the toss and teams have to get lucky with the toss and weather conditions going their way.

Joe Root in this game missed a trick by letting the Indians bat first on conditions ideal for batting and then the English team were caught up having to bat under vast overcast unplayable conditions while also under scoreboard pressure.

Time for the administrators / officials to intervene when the conditions start unfairly favouring one particular side by either suspending the game or in this case waiting for conditions to be favourable for both sides. Thoughts ?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English conditions for once give unfair advantage with the toss and teams have to get lucky with the toss and weather conditions going their way.

Joe Root in this game missed a trick by letting the Indians bat first on conditions ideal for batting and then the English team were caught up having to bat under vast overcast unplayable conditions while also under scoreboard pressure.

Time for the administrators / officials to intervene when the conditions start unfairly favouring one particular side by either suspending the game or in this case waiting for conditions to be favourable for both sides. Thoughts ?
    Well reading the conditions right is part of the game, it's looking like Joe Root didn't, so people are saying he made the wrong decision. Conditions are going to be different at different parts of a 5 day Test match, not much that can be done about it.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your thoughts should had come in the second test so as to not see the bias in them

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Your thoughts should had come in the second test so as to not see the bias in them
    Conditions in the second test were seam bowling friendly right through the test. India did not get the combination right by playing 2 spinners in seaming conditions.

This test, we had batting friendly conditions in the first innings.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Conditions in the second test were seam bowling friendly right through the test. India did not get the combination right by playing 2 spinners in seaming conditions.

Are you kidding?We got overcast conditions in first inning of second test not to forget continuous rain interruptions,also if its so bad in this test now, why is India 98/1 in third innings?

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding?We got overcast conditions in first inning of second test not to forget continuous rain interruptions,also if its so bad in this test now, why is India 98/1 in third innings?
    As soon as India started batting, sun came out.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideal conditions for batting right now. Moreover the 168 runs deficit has a psychological effect.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You seem confused or bitter that India has a chance in the 3rd test.

The 2nd test India batted when clouds came on and it swung like crazy.

When England batted the clouds had disappeared and there was no swing.

But Indian fans accepted the 2nd test hiding fair and square.

But you seem bent on proving India has unfair advantage in this test even AFTER india LOST THE TOSS.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your bias knows no boundaries does it, a road like Chennai is a mine field because England collapsed but a game where team bowling first got dark skies and rain in the air while team bowling 2nd got a sunny day is having same conditions.

Also genius how exactly are India 130-2 with bowlers rarely threatening on the same pitch same day, just 30-40 mins apart.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem confused or bitter that India has a chance in the 3rd test.

The 2nd test India batted when clouds came on and it swung like crazy.

When England batted the clouds had disappeared and there was no swing.

But Indian fans accepted the 2nd test hiding fair and square.

But you seem bent on proving India has unfair advantage in this test even AFTER india LOST THE TOSS.
    My take is that the better team should win. Unfortunately, the conditions are making the other team look better which is not the case.

Hence conditions should be same for both teams. Administrators must take note of this when they pick up venues for Test matches.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My take is that the better team should win. Unfortunately, the conditions are making the other team look better which is not the case.

Hence conditions should be same for both teams. Administrators must take note of this when they pick up venues for Test matches.
    Why cant India be the better team?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why cant India be the better team?
    His hate for india means it doesn't matter which team is better it can never be India.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His hate for india means it doesn't matter which team is better it can never be India.
    Not true. I want the better team to win and it's not India in this series.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In a 5 test series the better team will win eventually.

Now if you want India to suffer a 5-0 whitewash, perhaps you are no longer wishing for better team to win but hoping for India to get destroyed.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With you it will never be India, then again you are the great mind who in this very thread called the Chennai pitch infamous a word or sentiment used by no other human who watched the game, so it is not surprising.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Bro stop making yourself look like an idiot

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yah, administrators should do something to keep clouds all the time or no cloud any time, right?

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?
    And if he had got it right you would be happily enjoying that - just like you did in the 2nd Test and few others in the past year. While it is ok to have ridiculous ideas but atleast have the moral fortitude to show up and call it even if it is going against your team .... otherwise you will be ridiculed quite badly.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This latest addition to the thread is the work of an absolutely troubled mind.

Pitch conditions had to little to contribute, it is the weather that has been unreliable. India faced the worst conditions of day 1 in the first one and three quarters sessions, but coasted for the majority of the third session. Thereafter England faced similar conditions on day 2 and capitulated.

Now india have made hay in the last session but will again have to put their nose to the wall to survive tomorrow morning. England will likely begin their chase during conducive conditions before having to blunt the first session or two on day 4 and beyond.

The failure has been england’s inability to survive against an inexperienced attack of pandya and bumrah.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Just learn to play swing and seam. Many older Indian batters have done well in these conditions. The current team did fine yesterday, though helped by atrocious English catching.

Similarly many England batters have scored heavily in India, historically speaking.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now today is the other scenario that needs to be balanced. Toss playing a vital role in deciding winners. Pitch easing out significantly after the first innings. Pakistan's world class attack otherwise potent and providing lot of variety were totally neutealized by the pitch. Authorities must take note and ensure that balance is maintained and not letting the pitch favouring particular sides.

One way would be to have a DL type formula to adjust the target and increase it appropriately to account for the ineffectiveness of the pitch.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now today is the other scenario that needs to be balanced. Toss playing a vital role in deciding winners. Pitch easing out significantly after the first innings. Pakistan's world class attack otherwise potent and providing lot of variety were totally neutealized by the pitch. Authorities must take note and ensure that balance is maintained and not letting the pitch favouring particular sides.

One way would be to have a DL type formula to adjust the target and increase it appropriately to account for the ineffectiveness of the pitch.
    Please tell me that you are joking.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will bite.... so today at what point did the pitch change its colors and how would the umpires figure that out?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachin136 View Post
    Please tell me that you are joking.
    Invoke poe's law

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But Pakistan won the toss.

They could have bowled first , in order to not get neutralized by bowling second.

The problem honestly was that Dhawan and Sharma had more talent in their pinky finger than the entire Pakistani bowling lineup.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This guy is a level above Junaids in trolling Indian cricket team

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the OP snorting or what!!!
    Did you hear our captain in the post match interview mention that in his and teams view the cracks in the pitch had opened up and they expected the ball to keep low and not congres to the bat as expected. So yeah we had a plan but it didn't play pt as expected today