Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

India has shown the world why they are the Number 1 ranked team in Test cricket

Lets be honest here, most teams would hv folded like sack of pins on 5th day of a 5 test series chasing 464 with their top 3 batsman out for nothing. But not for this team, it has shown guts and intent and fought against Eng bowlers pound for pound.

Not only this game but with the exception of Lords, which was played on some drastic weather conditions, this team has shown fight throughout the test series. Only if toss had gone in India's favour, they very well might have won this series.

With imaculate record at home and very competitive away, has India marked its authority as the undisputed no.1 team in test cricket?

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, respect for the Indian team because of the way they fought during last day of the Series.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was a good fight back. But the final score card still reads 4-1. No one remembers how close 2 of those 4 wins for England were. India simply does have the players to buckle up and chase those pesky targets of 200.

Overall, it was a decent series. At least now we know Rahul and Pant can play at this level and our bowling is pretty good now. Got to find some backups to put pressure on Rahane. He failed this series miserably.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Please.
    India has shown they are number 1 because they are ranked number 1.
    This current performance is just ok.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if India loses 4-1 ?

In any case there is no team that is a clear number 1. The last number 1 in Test cricket team were SA as they didn’t just achieve that status but were performing both home and away.

In the last 5 years the top 4/5 teams all have similar records - strong at home and fold like cards away.

So honestly this number 1 status doesn’t mean much until a team performs
    Decently away from home at a consistent basis.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    India has shown that there is no clear cut #1 and the benefit of building yourself a cushion in the rankings as a result of 13 Tests at home in one season.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to be fair India losing this series 4-1 will be a harsh result.

3-2 to England would have been a more fair outcome.

However you don’t always get what you deserve and I know this all to well as a Pak fan.

In the end India had their moments when England were on the floor but didn’t finish them.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an ongoing comparison between how well Pakistan toured England as compared to India. Thought I'd put that debate to rest today. If anyone watched polite enquiries yesterday, a fan asked melinda ferrel and nagraj galupudi who performed better in england, India or Pakistan? Both of them said unequivocally that it was pakistan. Nagraj is one of my favorite cricket journos, and the only indian one that I have any respect for. He doesn't slobber over Indian cricket the way others do. Gives even and fair criticism and praises where it is required.

Sadly, Indian cricket is mired with "yes man"; all hail IPL, all hail Kohli, all hail aggression, bow down to white players that play in the IPL, and damn pakistani cricket mentality that will bring their cricket backwards by decades.

Although India is still ranked number #1, and rightfully so, just thought Id add my own input that I think Pakistna have performed much better in England, and the scorelines show that there is not much of a comparison, with us getting 3 victories in our last two tours. Yes, India is ranked number one, and are the best team currently. However, I definitely feel that it is a farcical accolade. They can't be compared to the australian or west indian teams of the past, or even the pakistani team of the 80s, or the indian team of the 00s.

We live in an era of cricketing mediocrity in terms of test matches. Quality is low all around. Even when pakistan was ranked #1 briefly, I was proud of our achievements, but felt that it was not where our team should strive to be. Both India and Pakistan, or any team that sits at number one should strive for GREATNESS, not to be a number one team. I wish Misbah had taken that number one test mace, and told everyone at a presser that #1 is meaningless until they achieve series victories against all teams in all conditions. Wish he said that his team was hungry, and his team wanted more. Wish Virat Kohli would do the same. Sadly, mediocrity is what we deserve if teams take pride in reaching #1, and gloat amongst themselves and others. Mediocrity is what teams strive for. The days of hardened competitors are long gone.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen so many excuses about the toss. The reason India lost is because of Kohlis captaincy, plain and simple. The day th fans and the administration accept that and realize the problem is they day they might win some overseas test. Kohli made the runs this series, and his own performance in both South Africa and England is certainly laudable. However, Kohli as a leader was the only one who could have made his team a winning team. His stubborness in selection, field placement, and bowling changes is what separates him from ATG captains. He makes runs and sets a fitness standard because those are two skills that he values. His arrogance and unwillingness to learn from past mistakes is something he does not value. I think in his mind, if he makes a selection in one test match, it would be a personal affront if he changed his selection in the next test match. lack of flexibility. Would love to see him gain some humility in the next few years. That in itself would change the Indian team from a good one, to a great one.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India has shown, sorry two of India's batsmen have proven once again that it's easy to go out there and play your strokes and score freely when you are 3 for 3 and then 100 odd for 4 with no pressure on your shoulders.

3-1 or a 4 -1 loss is a loss and India, as the number one ranked team, should have at the very least drawn this series.

So the rankings don't really count for much not when there is nothing between the top 5 or 6 sides.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What India has done is destroying the credibility of number one ranking in tests. Showing us that whichever team is the best home bullly and plays the most amount of tests, gets to be ranked # 1.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul and Pant were in hiding when the series was active and had something going for it but for the beta personality players they both are, they ended up scoring in the dead rubber especially Rahul after failing 10 times.

Looking at Indian fans drinking it like kool-aid shows me that they met their expectations pretty fine LOL

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Please.
    India has shown they are number 1 because they are ranked number 1.
    This current performance is just ok.
    Pretty much this. Many teams fight back and scoreline will be 1-4. Nothing to boast here, but rank is due to playing better than others over the last 3-4 years.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    This is just hilarious. I totally agree.

" Loses the series by 4 - 1, getting thoroughly humiliated "

We have shown them we are the number ONE. YES! That will show them.
    That is not you but your jealousy speaking. Humiliated in which account? India has fought well in each and every game except the Lords test. With toss going in their favour, who knows what would hv been the result.

Also most teams are good at home and poor away. What seperates India is they are invincible at home and competitive away. And that is why they are no.1 ranked team and if they somehow manage to remain no.1 even after Aust tour, they will stay there till 2022.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    That is not you but your jealousy speaking. Humiliated in which account? India has fought well in each and every game except the Lords test. With toss going in their favour, who knows what would hv been the result.

Also most teams are good at home and poor away. What seperates India is they are invincible at home and competitive away. And that is why they are no.1 ranked team and if they somehow manage to remain no.1 even after Aust tour, they will stay there till 2022.
    "His own team draws 2-2 in a 4 match series and then draws 1-1 in the next series in the same country where India is used to getting hammered every other year"

Yes, you are jealous from the great team INDIYAAAA.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "His own team draws 2-2 in a 4 match series and then draws 1-1 in the next series in the same country where India is used to getting hammered every other year"

I think you are missing the point here. Rankings are not based on London tests only but takes into account all the games played globally. Yes Pak did well in London venues but also got whitewashed against SL at home (a country that never even won a test in India), dropped a test against WI at home. So we have to look it from all facets

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what is really embarrassing?

A country with over a billion population, billions of dollars invested in to their cricket, players paid millions each year, a league that pays a million bucks for a few weeks work, and they can't be consistently the best side in the world, not just in tests but in every format.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who started this "London tests" **? lolol such a specific criteria

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest here, most teams would hv folded like sack of pins on 5th day of a 5 test series chasing 464 with their top 3 batsman out for nothing. But not for this team, it has shown guts and intent and fought against Eng bowlers pound for pound.

Not only this game but with the exception of Lords, which was played on some drastic weather conditions, this team has shown fight throughout the test series. Only if toss had gone in India's favour, they very well might have won this series.

With imaculate record at home and very competitive away, has India marked its authority as the undisputed no.1 team in test cricket?
    Lets be honest most decent number one ranked teams would have probably won the series by now or be in a position to win.

Please dont come up this stuff on the final day of the series.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post

A country with over a billion population, billions of dollars invested in to their cricket, players paid millions each year, a league that pays a million bucks for a few weeks work, and they can't be consistently the best side in the world, not just in tests but in every format.
    I think you are mistaken there. If you look into the rankings in each format for past 10 years, India mostly in top 3. So not sure what you mean by India is consistently top team in the world.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Lets be honest most decent number one ranked teams would have probably won the series by now or be in a position to win.

That too when the series has already been decided!

This is just minnow mentality when you are happy with picking the crumbs off the table.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home/Away is a huge factor. Lets not forget Steve Waugh's invincible Aust lost a series in India. Not saying they were bad in any account but no.1 does not mean tean has to win in all countries.

There are no cut out teams at present who does well both at home and away. I think last team was Graeme Smith's SA. But what seperates India from others is they are very good at home (only lost 1 test since 2013) and competitive away. So its very well deserving no.1 teams amongst current bunch

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Home/Away is a huge factor. Lets not forget Steve Waugh's invincible Aust lost a series in India. Not saying they were bad in any account but no.1 does not mean tean has to win in all countries.

There are no cut out teams at present who does well both at home and away. I think last team was Graeme Smith's SA. But what seperates India from others is they are very good at home (only lost 1 test since 2013) and competitive away. So its very well deserving no.1 teams amongst current bunch
    Like I said - your team, ranked No 1 in the world is close to suffering a humiliation. Suggest think about how they can improve instead of this false bravado.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are missing the point here. Rankings are not based on London tests only but takes into account all the games played globally. Yes Pak did well in London venues but also got whitewashed against SL at home (a country that never even won a test in India), dropped a test against WI at home. So we have to look it from all facets
    London tests? Is is this some new term coined to discount Pakistan's wins?

Man, i cannot even debate with you if you are going to go to such ridiculous lengths.

Debut
    May 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? Losing 4-1. Losing last test by 120 runs. And proved why they are number 1? What logic is this?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are mistaken there. If you look into the rankings in each format for past 10 years, India mostly in top 3. So not sure what you mean by India is consistently top team in the world.
    By consistently the top team I mean like the Aussies of the 2000's.
    Not just top three but number 1 in both tests and odi's.

With the sheer volume of people and the massive investment which goes in to infrastructure including stadiums and coaching facilities, including grass roots cricket, not to mention the money that flows directly in to the pockets of the players, the coaches, managers, the cheerleaders (commentators).. I'd be pretty disappointed with any sort of loss in England, let alone a 3-1 or a 4-1 loss.

The last thing I would be doing is setting up threads like this one and shouting off about luck, the toss, or how marginal each loss was.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had it been any other team, i would have felt for the fans but time and time again Indian fans have shown that humility or humbleness are two words that are not found in their dictionary. They might have been humble back in 80s, 90s but especially after their newfound wealth, they feel like they are world beaters before every series/tournament.

Unfortunately for them, its rarely the case especially outside of Asia. They are always on cloud nine, be it the Champions Trophy, South Africa series, English series - big claims of humilating the other teams and what not but the result is their team getting beaten black and blue and getting throughly hammered to submission. Then poor fans like @Canford Cliffs end up making stupid lame excuses just because they overhyped their team once again.

Its a continuous cycle with Indian fans, always making big claims and then their whole world comes down crashing leaving them to chase moral victories and coining terms like London tests.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wait a minute... Didn't they get demolished 4-1?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread for them is like a ' fat kid in a cake factory'.

After Losing 4-1 shows why India is number 1 ranked team? I wonder what would these Indian fans would say if India were to win 4-1.

RIDICULOUS
    Last edited by MoJoJoJo; 11th September 2018 at 17:22.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said - your team, ranked No 1 in the world is close to suffering a humiliation. Suggest think about how they can improve instead of this false bravado.
    Each of his own....if you think this series is a humilation for India...good on you. But I think its far from truth. India have fought well in every day of all 4 test matches. And not only me, even Nasser Hussain was saying the same in comm box yesterday.

Agreed there is a loads to improve for India but no one can say India dont deserve no.1 rank. Its simply because all other teams are poor travellers. Eng lost in Ind 4-0, SA got whitewashed, SA recently lost against SL, Aust gets mauled everytime they step away from home. But what seperates India is their immaculate record at home (lost only 1 test since 2013). On the other hand Eng dropped a test vs WI last year and 2 tests vs Pak/Ind this year. SA lost a test match against India. Pak, I mean less said is better...got whitewashed by SL and lost a test vs WI. Only Ind and Aust are almost invincible at home But because India is much more competitive overeseas, they ranked no.1 by ICC and thoroughly deserves it.
    Last edited by Canford Cliffs; 11th September 2018 at 16:39.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Showed by losing series and that too by 4-1? Come on guys, have some shame in creating such thread.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, the weakest **** poor batting line up in Pakistan History in the 2010 series only lost 3-1 unlike this grotesquely over rated Indian team 4-1

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Each of his own....if you think this series is a humilation for India...good on you. But I think its far from truth. India have fought well in every day of all 4 test matches. And not only me, even Nasser Hussain was saying the same in comm box yesterday.

Agreed there is a loads to improve for India but no one can say India dont deserve no.1 rank. Its simply because all other teams are poor travellers. Eng lost in Ind 4-0, SA got whitewashed, SA recently lost against SL, Aust gets mauled everytime they step away from home. But what seperates India is their immaculate record at home (lost only 1 test since 2013). On the other hand Eng dropped a test vs WI last year and 2 tests vs Pak/Ind this year. SA lost a test match against India. Pak, I mean less said is better...got whitewashed by SL and lost a test vs WI. Onlt Ind and Aust are almost invincible away. But because India is much more competitive overeseas, they ranked no.1 by ICC and thoroughly deserves it.
    Nasser Hussain is being nice to India but I think you will find that their own greats will not be like that in the coming days.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What India has done is destroying the credibility of number one ranking in tests. Showing us that whichever team is the best home bullly and plays the most amount of tests, gets to be ranked # 1.
    I guess that means other teams should buckle down and start winning more matches at home and not constantly keep losing matches at home like England (4 out of 14)and Pakistan (3 out of 5) have in the last 2 years.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    They have show they are not number 1 team . This England team was quite average nothing from top or middle order . Bowling was dependent on 2 bowlers . India themselves to blame for this series loss
    Last edited by Asif321; 11th September 2018 at 16:40.

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is number 1 team because India were able to get out on their own without scoring the required score.

lol

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is #1, no doubt. But, this series we've been humiliated.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is number 1 team because India won 1 game out of 5. lol

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is number 1 team because India always win at home. lol

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasser Hussain is being nice to India but I think you will find that their own greats will not be like that in the coming days.
    Hussain is not the only one that has said it, though. I have heard Atherson, Gower, Botham, Swann, Rob Key, Bumble and Sanga say the same thing on air.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, a 4-1 result makes it look like England have completely outplayed India but that hasn't been the case. The 2nd Test was very one sided but the 1st and 4th Test could have gone either way. Even at some points in this match England have had to work hard.

Don't get me wrong, this would still be a disappointment for India, but this series wasn't as one sided as the margin suggests.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    To be fair, a 4-1 result makes it look like England have completely outplayed India but that hasn't been the case. The 2nd Test was very one sided but the 1st and 4th Test could have gone either way. Even at some points in this match England have had to work hard.

Don't get me wrong, this would still be a disappointment for India, but this series wasn't as one sided as the margin suggests.
    Either way and not one sided? Indian lost 4th test by 120 runs. and lost the series by 4-1? what is either way about it?

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kithay, Kidhan, and how?

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nas is never nice to India. Atleast I've not seen that. We competed better than we did on the last 2 tours .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Hussain is not the only one that has said it, though. I have heard Atherson, Gower, Botham, Swann, Rob Key, Bumble and Sanga say the same thing on air.
    Its them being nice to India.

A 4-1 loss speaks volumes

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is number 1.
    woo hoo

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slipcatch View Post
    Either way and not one sided? Indian lost 4th test by 120 runs. and lost the series by 4-1? what is either way about it?
    Because there were times in both the 1st and 4th Test where it looked like India were miles ahead. India could have, and probably should have, got England out for much lower scores in both of these matches.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever, 4-1 is 4 losses to one win, close schmose is all silly talk...India literally were not able to come out on top despite their best pace attack ever, Capatain in form of his life, and England batting in shambles. Not to forget two ageing fast bowlers and a few new comers. England had far from a settled team and yet India, the Numero Uno, did not even get to draw the series. That is as bad as it gets!

Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4-1.

Indian test team is like the South African ODI team. So close, yet so far.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because there were times in both the 1st and 4th Test where it looked like India were miles ahead. India could have, and probably should have, got England out for much lower scores in both of these matches.
    But they didn't and ended up losing, number 1 team do not lose.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that people are confusing Test match losses with ODI type things. In Tests, decent teams will have one or 2 good innings - but the better teams win!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Away wins should count double. That would sort these fake rankings out.
    Last edited by Robert; 11th September 2018 at 16:54.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India may be a Number One team through the rankings and rightfully so but this 4-1 defeat shows that despite so much potential, they really canít win overseas.

And thatís pretty much the case across all teams so in other words:

India is a beast at home more so than others and competitive (despite being 6-2 in the last eight matches) abroad.

This Indian team is not like the WI of the 70ís, AUS of the 90ís or the SA of the 00ís, itís simply a good team in a lackadaisical era.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, these have been devilish conditions and even Cook mentioned how in 160 tests he's played, it hasn't swung as much as in this series.
    Add to that, the five tosses India lost and the series was closer than the scoreline suggests.

John 3:16

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Venue
    Deen Over Dunya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one is disputing, or should be disputing India's #1 ranking. The rankings are based purely on math and hence they don't lie.

Its just that assuming India are now a juggernaut that can win in all conditions is still premature. Yes India competed very hard in the last 8 Tests played in SA and ENG. But, they also threw it all away in the 2nd half in 6 of those 8 games.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    End result is 4-1. This doesn't look close from anywhere. Had this series ended in 3-2 this thread would have made sense. Otherwise it looks like another excuses and moral victory kind of thread by the OP.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Not double but atleast 1.5 times like away goals in football

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutdown Corner View Post
    No one is disputing, or should be disputing India's #1 ranking. The rankings are based purely on math and hence they don't lie.

Its just that assuming India are now a juggernaut that can win in all conditions is still premature. Yes India competed very hard in the last 8 Tests played in SA and ENG. But, they also threw it all away in the 2nd half in 6 of those 8 games.
    Rightly deserve number 1 team does not throw away games that easily, which shows ranking system is flawed

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the same token, do you agree losing at home meaning losing double points?

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slipcatch View Post
    India is number 1 team because India always win at home. lol
    It also means that other teams do not always win at home.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the same token, do you agree losing at home meaning losing double points?
    You need to define what playing at "home" is?

Is it where debutants have never played before and on a ground outside of your own country where there is hardly any support?

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

India played better than a 4-1 suggests. Though it's still a 4-1 and if I was an Indian fan I'd be disappointed. This wasn't a strong India side, nor were the conditions unplayable for asian sides.

I would have said 3-2 would be fairer, but bit disappointed with this oval match. No excuse to lose in the oval, it probably favours asian sides. And India threw it away, let England get back into the game after 7 wickets down. Been the story of this series. And yet again we saw the same stuff from the batsmen, one or two batsmen stand up to be counted the rest gets bottled for nothing.

I think 3-1 would have been a fair result now. Which would have been disappointing for India regardless. But as I said winning at oval, no excuse, no pressure with dead rubber, conditions favouring them. Instead in the end a pretty convincing defeat despite Rahul and Pant's heroics.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its them being nice to India.

A 4-1 loss speaks volumes
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Nas is never nice to India. Atleast I've not seen that. We competed better than we did on the last 2 tours .
    Nasser Hussain is the one who called Indian fielders "donkeys" in 2007.

I think you are telling yourself what you want to hear rather than simply taking things on face value, @MenInG. I see the same attitude in the thread of Buttler giving credit to the IPL for his current form. A dislike of the Indian team is clouding your judgement.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India has the 2nd highest number of away wins and 2nd best W/L ratio in away games in the last 2 years, @Robert. Surprisingly, Sri Lanka has been the best touring team in the last 2 years.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasser Hussain is the one who called Indian fielders "donkeys" in 2007.

I think you are telling yourself what you want to hear rather than simply taking things on face value, @MenInG. I see the same attitude in the thread of Buttler giving credit to the IPL for his current form. A dislike of the Indian team is clouding your judgement.
    So you think Nasser called them donkeys because he had a grudge against India or because they were literally pathetic in the field?

Anyone who uses that donkey comment as evidence of Nasser's dislike of India must have huge inferiority complex.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it where debutants have never played before and on a ground outside of your own country where there is hardly any support?
    That is something the PCB has to deal with. It is not the concern of the ICC or any other country's cricket board.

The PCB officially recognises UAE as the home venue. Other matters like security, etc is the problem of the PCB, not the rest of the world. Nobody is stopping PCB from hosting matches in Pakistan. If they are failing to do so then it's nobody's fault but their own.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you think Nasser called them donkeys because he had a grudge against India or because they were literally pathetic in the field?

Anyone who uses that donkey comment as evidence of Nasser's dislike of India must have huge inferiority complex.
    I never said Nasser dislikes India.

I gave that "donkey" example to show that Hussain has no bias and calls it like he sees it.

If he wasn't lying then, there is no reason to think that he is lying now.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is something the PCB has to deal with. It is not the concern of the ICC or any other country's cricket board.

The PCB officially recognises UAE as the home venue. Other matters like security, etc is the problem of the PCB, not the rest of the world. Nobody is stopping PCB from hosting matches in Pakistan. If they are failing to do so then it's nobody's fault but their own.
    That comment was directed at Clifford because that's why he brought up the home losses, i.e. to detract from the rollicking he's been receiving for starting this thread.

Lets you and I concentrate on Donkey Gate.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with @Roberts point. Any test matches won abroad (away from his own country), the winning team should be credited double points. But at the same token, when a team lose at home/adopted home (like UAE for Pak or Ind for Afg), they must lose double points. Now that is a fair game.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The only thing India has shown is how seriously one should take these rankings.

One of the worst #1 ranked teams in the history

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only indian fans would find a moral victory in a 4-1 series loss. I thought Bangladeshi fans were bad.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Only fools would dispute India's #1 ranking. The way they fought, I can see this team carry the #1 ranking for 4-5 years minimum.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1682 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said Nasser dislikes India.

I gave that "donkey" example to show that Hussain has no bias and calls it like he sees it.

If he wasn't lying then, there is no reason to think that he is lying now.
    ok so let's try and be more objective in all this.

Its been a great series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am glad that England won because it is my team (after Pakistan).

Yes the series was good because the majority of games were closely contested but the conditions contributed to this and India utilised the conditions well to keep the pressure on a vulnerable Englasnd top order. However, England won the crucial moments in the games and India's batting was largely poor.

So England came out deserved winners.

With respect to India's position as number one. If I were Indian I would be thoroughly disappointed with the final result. A 4-1 loss is a big loss whichever way you look at it.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Only fools would dispute India's #1 ranking. The way they fought, I can see this team carry the #1 ranking for 4-5 years minimum.
    Yes just like in 2016, when we beat England at the Oval to become the number one side....
    How long did that last?

You have to have humility and the only way to convince the world is by performances. a 4-1 loss is not a good performance

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so let's try and be more objective in all this.

Its been a great series. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am glad that England won because it is my team (after Pakistan).

Yes the series was good because the majority of games were closely contested but the conditions contributed to this and India utilised the conditions well to keep the pressure on a vulnerable Englasnd top order. However, England won the crucial moments in the games and India's batting was largely poor.

So England came out deserved winners.

With respect to India's position as number one. If I were Indian I would be thoroughly disappointed with the final result. A 4-1 loss is a big loss whichever way you look at it.
    Not disagreement there. India should be very disappointed with the final scoreline. And England definitely won more big moments throughout the series and they deservedly won 4-1.

But you cannot deny that, in alien conditions India put up a heck of a lot more fight than most teams consistency do abroad.

The margin of loss in two of the losses was 30 and 69 runs respectively. Does that not also indicate that, despite the 4-1 result, it was a closely fought 4-1 result?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes just like in 2016, when we beat England at the Oval to become the number one side....
    How long did that last?

You have to have humility and the only way to convince the world is by performances. a 4-1 loss is not a good performance
    The difference is that India's number 1 ranking has lasted well over 2 years - even after 2 SENA series and a total of 4 away tours. No other team has had 4 away tours and no Asian team has had more than 2 SENA tours in the last 2 years.

So unlike the perceptions that permeates through PP, India's ranking is not based on home seasons.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How long did that last?

Pakistan is not even close to this Indian team. The way we played and fought back in SA and now in Eng, don't think any other team has the talent to pull off such brave feat. You just need to see how others meekly surrender to us in our home games. I can see India being #1 team for atleast 4-5 years.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Pakistan is not even close to this Indian team. The way we played and fought back in SA and now in Eng, don't think any other team has the talent to pull off such brave feat. You just need to see how others meekly surrender to us in our home games. I can see India being #1 team for atleast 4-5 years.
    lol, are you trolling Indians?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not disagreement there. India should be very disappointed with the final scoreline. And England definitely won more big moments throughout the series and they deservedly won 4-1.

But you cannot deny that, in alien conditions India put up a heck of a lot more fight than most teams consistency do abroad.

The margin of loss in two of the losses was 30 and 69 runs respectively. Does that not also indicate that, despite the 4-1 result, it was a closely fought 4-1 result?
    It was a great series and for that India had to play their part.

India will have to start winning their games abroad as do all the other nations who have ambitions to be the number one side in the world.

It's like Pakistan in 1996 when we had the Aussies on the racks at Hobart only for bad umpiring to deprive us of victory. Or when we put up a great fight in the first test match of the series in Australia 2016. Similarly South Africa rarely get totally outplayed in England or Australia.

All these near misses count for nothing. Its the final result that matters.
    So yes it was an exciting series but India lost it 4-1 and that this not something to happy about.

If I were Indian I would be more worried about the batting and continues fitness worries of Ashwin.

Yadav and Kuldeep couldn't even get in to the side ahead of the senior Jadeja.

Pant is an awful keeper and Kohli's captaincy was abysmal at times.

In fact you could almost point to Kohli's captaincy as being the difference. His field settings at times were a joke.