Instagram

SportsFever360

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Virat Kohli vs Hashim Amla in Tests - Who would you pick?

    Arguably, two of the most popular non-Pakistani cricketer in PP in the last 5-6 years. While Amla, at one point was the best test batsmen going around in the world, currently it is Virat Kohli, who is ranked as no.1 test batsmen in the world.

    Here are the stats:-

    Hashim Amla

    Matches:- 119
    Runs:- 9022
    Avg:- 47.23
    100s:- 28

    Virat Kohli

    Matches:- 70
    Runs:- 6098
    Avg:- 54.45
    100s:- 23

    Now, if we look at some series-dominant performance of both, here we go:-

    1) Amla dominated a series in 2010 India, 2012 England and 2012 Australia and had played a match-saving inning in Sri Lanka as well.

    2) Kohli also, to his credit, already has dominated a series in Australia 2014, SA 2018 and England 2018 and has also dominated series against England and Sri Lanka at home.

    If we look at Amla's career, it can be divided into three parts:-

    Between 2004-2009:- Avg 39
    2010-2014:- Avg 65
    2015-2018:- Avgs 36

    For Kohli, if we do:-

    2011-2014:- Avgs 44
    2015-2018:- Avgs 70
    ____________________


    So, who would you pick in the real format of the cricket? Remember, this is not gully-danda cricket we are talking about.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Bilal7, your take on it.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    17,324
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    @Bilal7, your take on it.
    Need you ask?

  4. #4
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Arguably, two of the most popular non-Pakistani cricketer in PP in the last 5-6 years. While Amla, at one point was the best test batsmen going around in the world, currently it is Virat Kohli, who is ranked as no.1 test batsmen in the world.

    Here are the stats:-

    Hashim Amla

    Matches:- 119
    Runs:- 9022
    Avg:- 47.23
    100s:- 28

    Virat Kohli

    Matches:- 70
    Runs:- 6098
    Avg:- 54.45
    100s:- 23

    Now, if we look at some series-dominant performance of both, here we go:-

    1) Amla dominated a series in 2010 India, 2012 England and 2012 Australia and had played a match-saving inning in Sri Lanka as well.

    2) Kohli also, to his credit, already has dominated a series in Australia 2014, SA 2018 and England 2018 and has also dominated series against England and Sri Lanka at home.

    If we look at Amla's career, it can be divided into three parts:-

    Between 2004-2009:- Avg 39
    2010-2014:- Avg 65
    2015-2018:- Avgs 36

    For Kohli, if we do:-

    2011-2014:- Avgs 44
    2015-2018:- Avgs 70
    ____________________


    So, who would you pick in the real format of the cricket? Remember, this is not gully-danda cricket we are talking about.
    @mods, could you rectify a bit of typo error for Kohli?

    2011-2015:- Avgs 44
    2016-2018:- Avgs 70

  5. #5
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    2,387
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Need you ask?
    Inside they will be burning to have a player like Kohli in their lineup (in any point of their era)! At least we never had this kind of false respect towards their yesteryear great bowlers!

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    487
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you take out Amla's purple patch during 2010 - 2014 he's been an average batsman. Kohli's ton conversion is just miles better and his record in SENA with 10 tons in 24 tests is just extraordinary. With the exception of AUS - SA, NZ and England's bowling attacks have all been better in the post 2010 era compared to the one in 2000s and the wickets there are still very bowling friendly.

    I can see Kohli maintaining his 50+ average for another 3-5 years (at least) because he's just a far better batsman who is far more hungry for success. It wouldn't surprise me if he was to end his career at 38-40 and surpass Tendulkar's test tons.

    Kohli's ability, drive, passion, discipline and mental strength is what distinguishes him to Amla who isn't an ATG. His career achievements are excellent but they are not suffice to warrant such a comparison.

    Only a fool or a fanatic would take Amla over Kohli.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    74,547
    Mentioned
    4713 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Amla is not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Kohli.

    The former is just a very good player who looked legendary for a short period of time, while the latter is a one of the greatest batsmen of all time.

    Kohli is top five batsmen of all time material, while Amla would barely break into the top twenty at best.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    262
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamLakhan View Post
    Inside they will be burning to have a player like Kohli in their lineup (in any point of their era)! At least we never had this kind of false respect towards their yesteryear great bowlers!
    Nobody is burning you respect good players from other teams but concentrate on your own players when it comes to supporting your own team. And what is so offensive about this thread anyway? Amla is a great players too.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    5,962
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, only a biased fan will pick Amla over Kohli.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    28,480
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    @Bilal7, your take on it.
    I'd pick Amla. Kohli is partly the reason India have not won a series away from India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh since 2009 and have been humiliated on these tours more often than not. That average means nothing when he can't find that extra 10-20% that is the difference between a very good innings that helps India compete in a match/series and a great innings that helps India win a match/series.

    Amla's greatest innings have brought glory to South African cricket and he has done it all over the world across many years and against a multitude of great bowlers. Kohli, although in his prime right now and the best batsman in the world (excluding Steven Smith), has either choked or failed when a team victory has been in sight.

    The 'weak team' excuse does not work in Kohli's case because he has played with some of India's greatest players ever and even the current Indian lineup (#1 in the world as their supporters like reminding everyone) is quite strong with an excellent bowling attack. The fact that they got thrashed by an English team in serious transition, with Kohli failing at some of the key moments in the series, means that at least some of the blame has to fall on their best player and captain.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    28,480
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamLakhan View Post
    Inside they will be burning to have a player like Kohli in their lineup (in any point of their era)! At least we never had this kind of false respect towards their yesteryear great bowlers!
    I would love to have both Amla and Kohli in the Pakistan team. Who wouldn't? You seem confused.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    885
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, is that even up for a debate. Definitely Kohli.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    885
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Amla is not worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as Kohli.

    The former is just a very good player who looked legendary for a short period of time, while the latter is a one of the greatest batsmen of all time.

    Kohli is top five batsmen of all time material, while Amla would barely break into the top twenty at best.
    Yup, Amla is a good test batsman, no doubt about it. But kohli is in a different league.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    I'd pick Amla. Kohli is partly the reason India have not won a series away from India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh since 2009 and have been humiliated on these tours more often than not. That average means nothing when he can't find that extra 10-20% that is the difference between a very good innings that helps India compete in a match/series and a great innings that helps India win a match/series.

    Amla's greatest innings have brought glory to South African cricket and he has done it all over the world across many years and against a multitude of great bowlers. Kohli, although in his prime right now and the best batsman in the world (excluding Steven Smith), has either choked or failed when a team victory has been in sight.

    The 'weak team' excuse does not work in Kohli's case because he has played with some of India's greatest players ever and even the current Indian lineup (#1 in the world as their supporters like reminding everyone) is quite strong with an excellent bowling attack. The fact that they got thrashed by an English team in serious transition, with Kohli failing at some of the key moments in the series, means that at least some of the blame has to fall on their best player and captain.
    Ok. Fair enough!

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,928
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Overall Kohli, but peak for peak, it's Amla for me.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    20,927
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli . He's entering his peak now and he's been averaging and scoring at amazing rate in the last couple of years in test. Another 3 or 4 years of this performance will cement him as one of the great test batsmen of all time. Amla had 1 good period between 2010-2014, other than that he has struggled in tests although that run was an amazing run. When the pressure was on after Smith and Kallis retirement, he hasn't performed. Whilst when the senior players have retired for India,Kohli has thrived and is without doubt the best test batsmen in his team.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    219
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli. Even out of his peak he averaged 44. Against the best attacks and all across the globe.

    He’s now matured as a player and averages 70 from 2015-2018.

    Kohli is in the top 3 greatest batsman of all time across the board.

    Amla in all honesty does not even warrant an argument for ATG.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, Amla is a South African great in tests and a very good ODI batsmen as well.

    Kohli, on other hand, should go on and become an undisputed ATG in tests and GOAT in ODIs.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    28,480
    Mentioned
    930 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I would say, Amla is a South African great in tests and a very good ODI batsmen as well.

    Kohli, on other hand, should go on and become an undisputed ATG in tests and GOAT in ODIs.
    He very well can. I hope you understand that I am not taking the future into account here, I'm only comparing them on what they have both done thus far. Kohli should get better and when he does, I'll have no problems giving him the credit he deserves.


    لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

  20. #20
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,377
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    He very well can. I hope you understand that I am not taking the future into account here, I'm only comparing them on what they have both done thus far. Kohli should get better and when he does, I'll have no problems giving him the credit he deserves.
    Yes, I got your point.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    51
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best class players - VK for me is in a different league though....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •