Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

PCB appoints Grant Bradburn as fielding coach of the Pakistan cricket team on a full-time basis

Lahore-September 6, 2018: The PCB has appointed Grant Bradburn as fielding coach of Pakistan Cricket Team on a full-time basis for a period of three years (subject to review). Grant Bradburn will join the team in UAE for the Asia Cup 2018.

The newly appointed fielding coach said, “It is a great honour to be joining Pakistan Cricket Team and their high-quality coaching staff. I have seen the progress that has been made under Mickey Arthur and the opportunity to work with a leading full member team on the rise in world cricket, is a real privilege. Against Scotland in June, we saw the impressive changes that have been instilled, noticeably with the physical stature and fielding abilities of Pakistan’s players. I look forward to adding my experience to the players and staff, while being an integral part of the exciting and dominant team, Team Pakistan is becoming”.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Occupied Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who is he? What are his credentials?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wait, the ex-New-Zealand player and Scotland coach?

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only memory I have of him is Afridi taking him to the cleaners in Sharjah.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post
    That dibbly dobbly leg spinner.. is he the same guy ..

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=12071205

Was linked with New Zealand before us, excellent appointment. He's made Scotland a top Associate side from a very low base.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my earliest memories of cricket in Sharjah. I still remember it like it was yesterday. If I remember correctly Afridi scored 26 with the over costing the Kiwis 27 runs.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaaik View Post
    That dibbly dobbly leg spinner.. is he the same guy ..
    No. Bradburn was an off spinner. However his stock delivery was the one that apparently went away from the right hander. Hardly spun the ball. Basically a pacer with a spin action who bowled at 50 MPH.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Grant Bradburn has been announced as Pakistan's new fielding coach, leaving his role as Scotland's head coach in the process.

Bradburn will join up with the Pakistan squad in the UAE as they prepare for this month's Asia Cup.

On the appointment, Bradburn said: "It is a great honour to be joining Pakistan Cricket Team and their high-quality coaching staff. I have seen the progress that has been made under Mickey Arthur and the opportunity to work with a leading full member team on the rise in world cricket, is a real privilege.

"Against Scotland in June, we saw the impressive changes that have been instilled, noticeably with the physical stature and fielding abilities of Pakistan’s players. I look forward to adding my experience to the players and staff, while being an integral part of the exciting and dominant team, Team Pakistan is becoming."

Bradburn's decision to leave Scotland was a difficult one, but he is optimistic of his former team's prospects. He said: "I am extremely proud of the progress the national team and Cricket Scotland as an organisation have made, which makes it a difficult decision to step away at this time.

"The team is in a great place and recent success is no surprise, considering the strong hard working, winning culture that exists amongst the players and staff. I am positive the team is ready and capable to continue the climb towards full membership and further International success."

Grant Bradburn leaves his Scotland role in order to take up the Pakistan fielding coach job Grant Bradburn leaves his Scotland role in order to take up the Pakistan fielding coach job
    Bradburn enjoyed an immensely successful spell as Scotland's head coach in which he oversaw Scotland's famous victory over England in Edinburgh earlier this year. He also took Scotland within inches of a place at next year's ICC Cricket World Cup, with his team losing by just six runs in a decisive rain-affected game against the Windies.

Malcolm Cannon, Cricket Scotland CEO said of Bradburn's departure: “Grant Bradburn’s departure is a demonstration of the high profile the Scotland men’s team has achieved through its continued success over recent years.

"The team has performed very strongly, including our first victory at a world event, a strong performance at the World Cup qualifier in Zimbabwe and four wins against ICC full members (Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and England) including the iconic ODI victory against England in June this year."

"Grant leaves the team in a very good position to qualify for, and compete strongly in, the next two World T20 finals in 2020 and 2021."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/845199
    Last edited by MoJoJoJo; 8th September 2018 at 13:43.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Bradburn was an off spinner. However his stock delivery was the one that apparently went away from the right hander. Hardly spun the ball. Basically a pacer with a spin action who bowled at 50 MPH.
    Yeh that same guy who was taken to cleaners by Afridi.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Interesting choice.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't expecting to her this considering how well Scotland were progressing under him. Anyway, good to get a fielding coach and hopefully he improves or adds on to the work Rixon has done.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't even know he was being considered. Let's hope he does a good job. Coaching isn't all about being a big name and having previous success in the game.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseball fielding coaches imo should be appointed. Cricket field coaching is a paid vacation.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    This is a very shrewd appointment by the PCB.

Bradburn took over a floundering Scotland side in the latter period of 2013 IIRC after they had failed to qualify for yet another WC and looked a very mediocre side. Within a couple of years he had instilled a great sense of belief in the squad, had blooded several youngsters and took Scotland forward leaps and bounds to the extent where they have competed respectably in WC's and recently toppled England.

A great coach by all accounts and instils great belief in his players.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Fielding was slack in Zimbabwe so appointment of a fielding coach to replace the good work Rixon was necessary.

Our fitness culture over the years has been such that the players need to be managed by someone who is relentlessly pushing them.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Baseball fielding coaches imo should be appointed. Cricket field coaching is a paid vacation.
    PCB tried that with Julian Fountain, which turned out to be a failure.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    What?

Fountain was amazing. Really saw our fielding develop under him.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Fountain was the best fielding coach Pakistan have ever had.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Fountain was the best fielding coach Pakistan have ever had.
    welcome back after long time

i think rixon was very good

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    welcome back after long time

i think rixon was very good

Thanks!

I agree with you, Rixon has also underseen a period of professional, mostly clean fielding from Pakistan, however under Fountain, Pakistan were markedly better than before or after his period in charge. Definitely think he would still be the best choice as fielding coach.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Fountain is a pure fielding coach , where as Rixon was good enough to be head coach

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Update: Fielding coach Grant Bradburn has joined the Pakistan squad in Dubai

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Dubai: Head Coach Mickey Arthur presenting the Pakistan team training kit to Fielding Coach Grant Bradburn who joined the team today.

Name:  IMG-20180912-WA0010.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  68.5 KB

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Not a bad idea. It was Chappels & especially Allan Borders experience with baseball as an off season sport which really began Australia's move toward a more professional fielding outfit. We always had advantages of nice fields for juniors to practice sliding & emphasise fielding etc but in terms of realising how important fielding practice, throwing technique & drilling fielding hard, baseball improved our cricket game.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Some quotes from an interview after his first day:

"Privileged to be part of the first day, received a real warm welcome from all the staff and players. It's an honour to be here."

"The players have some real skill when it comes to fielding and fitness so we're starting from an excellent base, it was an enjoyable first day."

"They can absolutely compete with the best in the world, I've seen first hand in recent times how the fielding and the fitness has absolutely advanced. They're very fit and strong which is the basis of good fielding."

"It's pointless showing them too many complicated drills if they can't move and their physical capabilities aren't there, but they certainly are there, very fit and strong and they seem to enjoy their fielding too."

"I wanted to impart some of the basic drills today and get a feel for where they're at and what skills they've got and I was pleasantly surprised."

"There's no ceiling with regards to fielding, it comes down to attitude and the one thing I see in this group is a lovely attitude of wanting to get better and doing the basics well, that's clearly been instilled well by the previous and current staff."

"There's a really strong attitude and desire to get stuck in, that's the foundation and there's some very skilled cricketers and fielders there so there's no limit to how good they can be."

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He needs not only to work with the national side but work with local coaches to improve their methods and techniques. For me fielding is a mindset and if players want to improve they will but these things take years.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Some quotes from an interview after his first day:

"Privileged to be part of the first day, received a real warm welcome from all the staff and players. It's an honour to be here."

"The players have some real skill when it comes to fielding and fitness so we're starting from an excellent base, it was an enjoyable first day."

"They can absolutely compete with the best in the world, I've seen first hand in recent times how the fielding and the fitness has absolutely advanced. They're very fit and strong which is the basis of good fielding."

"It's pointless showing them too many complicated drills if they can't move and their physical capabilities aren't there, but they certainly are there, very fit and strong and they seem to enjoy their fielding too."

"I wanted to impart some of the basic drills today and get a feel for where they're at and what skills they've got and I was pleasantly surprised."

"There's no ceiling with regards to fielding, it comes down to attitude and the one thing I see in this group is a lovely attitude of wanting to get better and doing the basics well, that's clearly been instilled well by the previous and current staff."

"There's a really strong attitude and desire to get stuck in, that's the foundation and there's some very skilled cricketers and fielders there so there's no limit to how good they can be."
    Surprise, in a day he has mastered Urdu - language seems not to be an obstacle any more.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Surprise, in a day he has mastered Urdu - language seems not to be an obstacle any more.
    Many of current team players can understand English pretty well - I know for sure that Fakhar, Imam, Shan, Malik, Sarfraz & Amir definitely can

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahson8 View Post
    Many of current team players can understand English pretty well - I know for sure that Fakhar, Imam, Shan, Malik, Sarfraz & Amir definitely can
    Our Rafiq, till his early 20s, used to sign contracts with thumb mark - absolute illiterate. He did manage his cricket quite well under Grineedge, Barlow, T Chappel, Whatmore & Siddons, therefore I don't think language was ever any issue. But, some butts must had been badly bruised with a pro taking charge instead of Ijaz, Shoaib or ......

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    atleast 4 dropped catches - tough task ahead for Mr Bradburn

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    atleast 4 dropped catches - tough task ahead for Mr Bradburn
    Fakhar, Shinwari and Haris should be made to do laps. They should be ashamed of themselves for dropping those catches, that too off a debutant who was giving it his all.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1651 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The fielding coach needs to be fired

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Rixon's approach is what's needed for Pakistan teams. Only the danda will work, otherwise they'll relax.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    The fielding coach needs to be fired
    He's only been here two days lol

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've looked a lot sharper this test; some very good catches have been taken.

Good to see there is work going on behind the scenes...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    They've looked a lot sharper this test; some very good catches have been taken.

Good to see there is work going on behind the scenes...
    I find it difficult to understand how in a period of few days the side goes from excellent to mediocre to excellent again.

The fielding coach is not a magician

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I find it difficult to understand how in a period of few days the side goes from excellent to mediocre to excellent again.

The fielding coach is not a magician
    Apparently Steve Rixon was a hard task master. Did not allow the boys to slack at any time. Any misfield, he would make a note of it on his computer and take it up with the boys, he would also show the entire team after the days play on the amount of runs saved in the field due to excellent fielding.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slip catching has been brilliant.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Rixon left, the players probably slacked off a bit. The new guy came in and obviously it is going to take him a series or so to get the program up and running. I'm sure he had conversations with Rixon about what his methods and ideas about this team were.

Fielding to me is about effort as much as it is technique. You cannot take time off in the field, something the more professional sides learn at the domestic level. We have to teach it at the international level and therefore the fielding coach has to keep a strict level of pressure on our players. I think it is just a matter of the new guy finally getting his program established and the players responding to his coaching.

Long story short, I just think there was an adjustment period between the Rixon leaving and new guy coming in and getting settled.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Pakistan fielding like champions today and also in previous Test - so things looking good.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak team has been very good in the field.

Sharp fielding.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 out of the 11 players were electric in the field: taking sharp catches, effecting brilliant run outs, stopping singles... and then there was Hafeez and Imad.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If someone would have told me a few years back that one day we'd outfield Australia, I'd be like "whatchu high on man?" but now it has become a reality.

Granted we still have Imad and Hafiz as really bad fielders but the other ones are good. Add Rizwan to this unit and subtract one of the two above mentioned and we'd match almost any fielding team in the world on paper.

ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day