Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 46 of 46
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    15,921 Test runs | Do you see anyone past Kohli/Smith having a real shot at this record?

    16 year old test debutants seem like a thing of the distant past. Forget 16 even 19-20 year old test batsmen are a rare thing now. Even countries like India/Pakistan who once had the reputation of blooding in teenagers too early now put the best of the best U-19 batsmen through 3-4 years of first class cricket and A tours before they earn a test cap.

    So time's gonna be a real issue with a lot of the upcoming great test batsmen. They would have to ensure they literally have no prolonged bad phases, rather big purple patches to get to Tendulkar's mark and even that will push them well into their late 30s.

    With T20s, LOIs all part of the modern day game its gonna take a massive toll on the body.

    This is no more a test of quality batsmanship but a sheer test of physical endurance, motivation level.

    I honestly think with Cook's retirement, this record has now immortalized. I don't see Kohli goign all the way to break this record even if he can he will probably retire at a mark where Kallis/Sangakkara/Ponting etc left as well.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People used to say Cook benefited immensely from England playing TOO MUCH test cricket but in hindsight its clearly taken its toll on Cook's mind. At merely 33-34 years of age he seems to have totally lost the mental endurance.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    27
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The player who has the best shot is the one whose average is far apart from anybody else's and who will consistently maintain that average. One name immediately comes to mind.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    692
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically, no one.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kallis and Sangakkara could both get to 16,000 test runs. But at some point they lost the will to train for international cricket and travel away form the family anymore.

    Ironically, Tendulkar came under pressure to retire at 40. He would probably have kept going for another couple of years and maybe even got to 17500-18000 mark. These numbers have no meaning. All it shows is the desire and motivation to compete at the highest level. Tendulkar was among wisden's top batsman when he had only 8000 test runs at 58. Many others like Garry, Richards would still be ranked alongside these guys despite lesser runs. Its about how madly you are in love with the game and remain motivated to train and travel with changing team mates for so many years. The sacrifices to be made. All the days away from family when you could be enjoying retirement. Must admire this dedication and love for the game.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,892
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly no. Maybe someone from England in future who really would be once in a generation cricketer and if he debut at the age Joe Root did, he can certainly break that record.

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2018
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    303
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not having meaningless T20s helped Sachin. Kohli and Smith play too much league T20 cricket.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    164
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be joe root,because England play lot of test

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    381
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Kohli getting really damn close. 13-14 k surely. He is mentally strong and fitter than Tendulkar ever was.

    Resting out of the Asia Cup is a huge statement by Kohli and soon he will be resting out of meaningless T20s too.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    88,091
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No one.

    Book Mark this to look back in 2050

  11. #11
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    22,154
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Smith won't. Will be difficult for Kohli to come close as well but it's dependent on how long be will play international cricket for.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    1,815
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody. I don't see Kohli going past Ponting, let alone Tendulkar. Tendulkar never had to worry about IPL which was a huge reduction in workload and stress. We have come to a point where it's impossible to be equally well in T20 leagues and international matches at the same time. Way too much work, one has to pick and choose.

    Smith might have done it, but he lost a year which will be a huge blow. Root seems to have lost steam already.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    1,853
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's possible. Not real life, but in ICC 2016 I had this player in the Pak team who was an ATG batsman. At one point, he had an avg of 70 at 8000 test runs. I was sure he would break the record, and kept playing him. But I had to drop him as he got older. He just couldn't score consistently and I had promising youngsters. Finished with an avg of 58 at 13k runs.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Prithvi Shaw plays debuts in next game and plays till the age of 40 . Maybe he can break it since he is only 18 yr old.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,089
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Anyone who thinks Kohli can reach 15K test runs is highly delusional. He is already 29 and has more than 9K runs to score. Considering his workload and inevitable downfall in peak years, it is extremely unlikely that he will surpass even Ponting, let alone Tendulkar.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,089
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Ball View Post
    I see Kohli getting really damn close. 13-14 k surely. He is mentally strong and fitter than Tendulkar ever was.

    Resting out of the Asia Cup is a huge statement by Kohli and soon he will be resting out of meaningless T20s too.
    9K runs in next 6 years at 1500 runs per year until he hits 35 is extremely unlikely.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way Kohli is going to score 11k test runs let alone 15k test runs.

    Considering his workload, heíll burnout in next 3-4 years. Of course, would love to be proved wrong but I donít see him lasting long.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayankp.sverige View Post
    If Prithvi Shaw plays debuts in next game and plays till the age of 40 . Maybe he can break it since he is only 18 yr old.
    If he gets anywhere near the mark India would have 4 generations of batting supremacy in test cricket. How amazing would that be.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,527
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol people are like it's not happening and all. There is 100% chance of someone better coming and dominating the world. In India when Gavaskar went Sachin came when Sachin was going down hill Virat was already waiting to replace him. When Virat retires who know we can see better player than Virat as well? or maybe from Australia or England? I am 100% sure there will be way better player than these two in future who will surprise all of us.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,295
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Records are more important even if you loose every series..

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    381
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Odd_One View Post
    9K runs in next 6 years at 1500 runs per year until he hits 35 is extremely unlikely.
    He is a fitness freak, I can see him perform well until 37-38. Another reason I say this is that Kohli is an excellent learner. See the difference between his last England tour and this one. If he has a weakness exposed in one series, it likely that he will rectify it sooner than later.

    If the likes on Sangakkara can keep performing strongly till 37-38 I see no reason why Kohli can't, especially considering he is so much fitter in comparison. Barring a freak injury, I really do see a possibility of Kohli getting there.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    381
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Records are more important even if you loose every series..
    India has historically been a country with mediocre test bowlers so winning test series regularly outside Asia against decent/good teams is still a distant dream.

    Until then , the least we can do is celebrate cricketers who are clearly giving their 200% despite them being in losing causes. Don't be so negative.

  23. #23
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,941
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No one.

    Unless someone like Shaw or Gill debuts in the next few months and bat like champions for the next 20 years.

    Kohli at best can get to 12,000 run mark. Smith can also hit the 12,000 run mark.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,295
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Ball View Post
    India has historically been a country with mediocre test bowlers so winning test series regularly outside Asia against decent/good teams is still a distant dream.

    Until then , the least we can do is celebrate cricketers who are clearly giving their 200% despite them being in losing causes. Don't be so negative.
    Bowling didn't let you down in past two series.

    It's a disgusting/ repulsive mentality when you just become content over meaningless individual records. Records only mean something if they contribute toward wins.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    6,416
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Bowling didn't let you down in past two series.

    It's a disgusting/ repulsive mentality when you just become content over meaningless individual records. Records only mean something if they contribute toward wins.
    Michael Slater vs Brian Lara. What would you assume?


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

  26. #26
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,295
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Michael Slater vs Brian Lara. What would you assume?
    Lara.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Venue
    philadelphia
    Runs
    1,694
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Babar Azam play till Misbah's age with a Mohammad Yosuf like average, he can break it


    Imran Khan - Real king khan to lead Pakistan to glory

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    6,416
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Lara.
    But Slater's 11 out of 14 Test centuries led to wins. While only 8 out of Lara's 34 Test centuries led to wins.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,295
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    But Slater's 11 out of 14 Test centuries led to wins. While only 8 out of Lara's 34 Test centuries led to wins.
    I don’t see WI fans creating a new thread about Lara every other day 10 years after his retirement. Their cricket doesn’t start or end with Lara.

    They have moved on.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    6,416
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    I don’t see WI fans creating a new thread about Lara every other day 10 years after his retirement. Their cricket doesn’t start or end with Lara.

    They have moved on.
    Could it be because there are no West Indian fans in this forum? Or is there any?


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,295
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Could it be because there are no West Indian fans in this forum? Or is there any?
    There are more outside of pp..

  32. #32
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    75,268
    Mentioned
    4840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    The fact that Cook was mentally done after 160 odd Tests and 12 years of international cricket shows how longevity is not a small deal. His decline actually started around 120 odd Tests, in his early 30s.

    It takes a superhuman cricketer to maintain world class performances for over 180 odd Tests and 20 years. The notion that "anyone can break this record if he plays for X years and Y matches" belongs in the garbage - there is a reason why other players cannot play for X years and Y matches.

    Mere mortals cannot dream of being able to play top quality cricket for as long as Tendulkar did. The biggest threat to his records, i.e. Cook, did not even get close in the end, much to the disappointment of our fans.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    7,089
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Ball View Post
    He is a fitness freak, I can see him perform well until 37-38. Another reason I say this is that Kohli is an excellent learner. See the difference between his last England tour and this one. If he has a weakness exposed in one series, it likely that he will rectify it sooner than later.

    If the likes on Sangakkara can keep performing strongly till 37-38 I see no reason why Kohli can't, especially considering he is so much fitter in comparison. Barring a freak injury, I really do see a possibility of Kohli getting there.
    Kohli plays tremendous amount of cricket, is a captain of his team, and is yet to hit a bad patch. It will be a Herculean effort to get there.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    499
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The fact that Cook was mentally done after 160 odd Tests and 12 years of international cricket shows how longevity is not a small deal. His decline actually started around 120 odd Tests, in his early 30s.

    It takes a superhuman cricketer to maintain world class performances for over 180 odd Tests and 20 years. The notion that "anyone can break this record if he plays for X years and Y matches" belongs in the garbage - there is a reason why other players cannot play for X years and Y matches.

    Mere mortals cannot dream of being able to play top quality cricket for as long as Tendulkar did. The biggest threat to his records, i.e. Cook, did not even get close in the end, much to the disappointment of our fans.
    Agree which is why even claims of kohli eclipsing tendulkar are premature imo. People use longevity against him but if anything is counts as a big positive. Even if smith hadn't got banned it would have taken a herculean effort and god like batting over a very long Period of time for him to match sachin.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Truth is, there will never be another Sachin.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    1,101
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Truth is, there will never be another Sachin.
    Or there might never be another Kohli...

  37. #37
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    752
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The fact that Cook was mentally done after 160 odd Tests and 12 years of international cricket shows how longevity is not a small deal. His decline actually started around 120 odd Tests, in his early 30s.

    It takes a superhuman cricketer to maintain world class performances for over 180 odd Tests and 20 years. The notion that "anyone can break this record if he plays for X years and Y matches" belongs in the garbage - there is a reason why other players cannot play for X years and Y matches.

    Mere mortals cannot dream of being able to play top quality cricket for as long as Tendulkar did. The biggest threat to his records, i.e. Cook, did not even get close in the end, much to the disappointment of our fans.
    Had he been an opener in Asia Cook would have done better for sure opening in English conditions and playing a lot of test cricket it's hard to see any batsman being able to maintain it for a long time.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    752
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cook isn't a great batsman in terms of shot making and dominating the bowling Root has a better chance if he maintains his form.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    8,688
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to happen. I can tell you right now the wild and crazy burnout style they lead they wont last till late 30s. Not kohli. Not root. Not smith

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,138
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With teams playing less and less test matches every passing year, the players wouldn't have enough matches to score that many runs. The increasing emphasis on T20 leagues also doesn't help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    48,601
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    With teams playing less and less test matches every passing year, the players wouldn't have enough matches to score that many runs. The increasing emphasis on T20 leagues also doesn't help.
    I am not sure. A lot of test cricket is being played. England playing nearly 15 tests a year. India , Australia also play 10 +. They are playing more tests now than in Tendhlkars era.

    To give you context, Tendulkar only played 38 tests in his first 7 years in cricket. Cook played 87!

    38 vs 87

    In hindsight maybe that helped teenage sachin not get burnt out and mature nicely into his role.

    But thats about young Sachin.

    From 97-00 during Sachin's phenomenal peak years he only played 33 tests in 4 years. In today's cricket he would have played 50.

    Modern players have benefitted from more tests/burnt out bowling attacks to prolong their peaks.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    501
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will come a point in Kohli and Smith's career, most likely in their late thirties when they will just lose it. Based on that, they have 6-7 years max. Maybe 8. And I don't see either breaking Tendulkar's record with that amount of time left.
    :
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 8th September 2018 at 06:01.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    1,138
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    I am not sure. A lot of test cricket is being played. England playing nearly 15 tests a year. India , Australia also play 10 +. They are playing more tests now than in Tendhlkars era.

    To give you context, Tendulkar only played 38 tests in his first 7 years in cricket. Cook played 87!

    38 vs 87

    In hindsight maybe that helped teenage sachin not get burnt out and mature nicely into his role.

    But thats about young Sachin.

    From 97-00 during Sachin's phenomenal peak years he only played 33 tests in 4 years. In today's cricket he would have played 50.

    Modern players have benefitted from more tests/burnt out bowling attacks to prolong their peaks.
    The first decade of this century was phenomenal for tests regarding number of matches played. 5 teams played more than 100 tests.

    In this decade, only 3 teams will play 100 tests. (No prizes for guessing the teams . ) But the future looks bleak. Wait till next round of FTP.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    2,750
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Historically, after 10.000 test runs it becomes really hard to continue. Because as soon as a supposedly 50+ averaging batsman starts to average lower the knives come out. Even an ATG like Dravid was getting criticism

    I think SRT's record will remain intact for some decades.

    Only way this record can get broken is if a teenager prodigy debuts for a team like England and keeps on scoring 700-1200 runs consistently every year.

    In other words, not gonna happen.

    Mind you, it's almost 16.000 runs and not 15.000

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    2,750
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Kallis and Sangakkara could both get to 16,000 test runs. But at some point they lost the will to train for international cricket and travel away form the family anymore.
    As Imran Khan said in one of his interviews: "there have been very few cricketers/sportsmen who were able to end their careers on a high"; I believe both Sanga and JK wanted to end on a high, instead of averaging in 20s and getting dropped.

    Last years must've been hell for SRT as well. I speculate.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Denmark
    Runs
    8,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Kallis and Sangakkara could both get to 16,000 test runs. But at some point they lost the will to train for international cricket and travel away form the family anymore.

    Ironically, Tendulkar came under pressure to retire at 40. He would probably have kept going for another couple of years and maybe even got to 17500-18000 mark. These numbers have no meaning. All it shows is the desire and motivation to compete at the highest level. Tendulkar was among wisden's top batsman when he had only 8000 test runs at 58. Many others like Garry, Richards would still be ranked alongside these guys despite lesser runs. Its about how madly you are in love with the game and remain motivated to train and travel with changing team mates for so many years. The sacrifices to be made. All the days away from family when you could be enjoying retirement. Must admire this dedication and love for the game.

    Top post


    DON - "Don Ko Team Se Nikalna Mushkil Hi Nahin, Namumkin Hai!":Kami


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •