User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

"I feel safer here in this environment than I would on some streets in Auckland" : Mark Coles

The Kiwi coach of Pakistan's women's cricket team believes the time is right for New Zealand to tour the nation.

New Zealand Cricket are considering a request from the Pakistan Cricket Board to send the Black Caps to Pakistan for their Twenty20 series in November.

New Zealand last toured Pakistan in 2003, a year after a bomb blast outside the Black Caps' team hotel ended their 2002 tour early. The Sri Lankan team bus was the target of a terror attack in Lahore in 2009, with Pakistan moving their home matches to the United Arab Emirates ever since.

Pakistan played an exciting brand of cricket in New Zealand last summer, and have invited the Black Caps to tour in November.
    ANDREW CORNAGA/PHOTOSPORT
    Pakistan played an exciting brand of cricket in New Zealand last summer, and have invited the Black Caps to tour in November.

Mark Coles, who took the role as Pakistan women's coach last year, said New Zealand should tour safe in the knowledge that security in Karachi and Lahore is extremely tight.

"I have a young family. I have two daughters, and my wife back home in New Zealand," Coles said on the phone from Karachi. "I don't have any concerns for my safety here.

"To be honest with you, I feel safer here in this environment than I would on some streets in Auckland."

Coles is one of a number of international coaches involved with Pakistan cricket. South African Mickey Arthur coaches the men's side, with Zimbabwe's Grant Flower and Australian Steve Rixon as assistants.

While security for the coaches is tight - "I have security with me if I go across the road to get a coffee" - Coles said he is able to live a worry free life in Pakistan.

"I've never felt threatened here. The Pakistani people are lovely people, and they absolutely love New Zealanders," Coles said.

"They're very passionate people. You have to understand, if New Zealand were to tour here it would mean the world to Pakistan, to the people.

"They would fill the stadiums four times over. If New Zealand played 25 games here, they'd all be sell-outs.

"They're cricket mad, but most of the kids here only ever get to watch cricket on television. It would mean the world to them to watch their team in person."

He said New Zealand's reputation is particularly strong in Pakistan. Kiwis are seen as "the best people" and there is a strong following for players like Kane Williamson and Tim Southee, as well as old greats like Richard Hadlee.

Coles believes it will take one of the top cricketing nations to visit Pakistan for the rest of the world to follow suit.

"It would be great if New Zealand were to be brave and come over. It will take one of the top nations (NZ, Australia, England or South Africa) coming over here for the others to realise it's okay."

Coles is overseeing Pakistan's preparation for the Asia Cup in June, before playing Australia in October and the women's World Twenty20 in November.

New Zealand is due to play three tests, five ODIs and three Twenty20 matches against Pakistan in November.

On Wednesday, New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said his organisation was "completing due diligence, consulting security providers, the Government and the players" over the proposed Pakistan visit.

"It's important we go in with an open mind," White said.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...on-in-november
    Last edited by MenInG; 4th May 2018 at 12:36.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he got carried away with selling out stadiums 4 times over even if NZ played 25 games here lol
    But point taken

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perspective: His family is in NZ.

Would they be back home if he were UK coach?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Security for just going across the road for a coffee? Is that a sign of safety? I would be very worried if i need a guard accompanying me even while picking up a coffee nearby...not sure why this guy is comparing this kind of scenario with streets in Auckland...sure he doesn’t need security to pickup a coffee across one auckland street..does he? This tells the difference between situation in other countries and in Pakistan as far as foreigners are concerned

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Venue
    Jeddah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a nice guy.

Meri Barbaadiyan Durust Magar...
    Too Bata Kya Tujhe Sawaab Mila...

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post

hmm fair enough but you also gotta look at perhaps kids are in school, wifey has a career

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post

When Gary Kristen was the Indian coach , his family didn't move to India with him. In fact IIRC the main reason for him quiting , was that he wanted to be with his family more. Does that mean India is unsafe?

Point is I don't think most people move their family to a foreign country just for a few year stint.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neighbors are more worried about his security then he himself.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Pakistan Women’s Team head coach Mark Coles says New Zealand Cricket has contacted him and seek input regarding security situation in Pakistan, as PCB requested Kiwis to play a T20 in the country.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had recently requested Australia and New Zealand boards to tour Pakistan for at least one Twenty20 international.

Cricket Australia immediately rejected PCB’s request, however, the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) is carrying out ‘due diligence’ after a request to play a T20 game in Pakistan.

Talking to Business Recorder Mark Coles said that New Zealand Cricket has made contact with him and seek updates regarding security situation of the country.

“They asked me about my input regarding the security situation in Pakistan and I have given them a positive response for their tour of Pakistan,” he said.

“I am have been here for long and I haven’t faced any untoward incident yet. In New Zealand we have a population of about 4 million and still we have some issues, and here a population hovers 200 million so there are some issues because everyone is not the same.”

Pakistan cricket have suffered allot in nine years without international cricket. But now it is the time that International cricket should fully return to the country, Coles said.

The world is not safe place now, so we should accept it and move ahead, he added.

The head coach further said, “See once men teams start touring Pakistan, then we will invite women teams to come and play here.”

It is needless to mention here that New Zealand last toured Pakistan in 2003, the year after a suicide bombing outside their Karachi hotel killed 15 people.

International fixtures have been slowly returning to Pakistan, with Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, a World XI and West Indies all visiting the country without incident.

Commenting on the recently concluded Departmental T20 Women’s Cricket Championship, he said we have organized a great tournament here in Karachi. It was quite fascinating to see school and college girls coming here in the stadium and watched the final match.

“I am quite surprised to see such great talent in Pakistan. It will now be difficult to select a team for upcoming Asia Cup. But I will try my best to find the best possible combination for the tournament.”

Praising the standard of Pakistan women, he said day by day they are raising the bar. We performed really well, but we fell short in New Zealand. However, we have good results in Sri Lanka.

“I have already set my sites of 10 to 15 girls, who would be playing in the Asia Cup or representing Pakistan in near future,” he added.

It is pertinent to mention here that, The 2018 Women’s Twenty20 Asia Cup will start from June 03 in Malaysia.

https://www.brecorder.com/2018/05/10...with-security/

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    Peoria, IL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Pakistan Women’s Team head coach Mark Coles says New Zealand Cricket has contacted him and seek input regarding security situation in Pakistan, as PCB requested Kiwis to play a T20 in the country.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had recently requested Australia and New Zealand boards to tour Pakistan for at least one Twenty20 international.

Cricket Australia immediately rejected PCB’s request, however, the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) is carrying out ‘due diligence’ after a request to play a T20 game in Pakistan.

Talking to Business Recorder Mark Coles said that New Zealand Cricket has made contact with him and seek updates regarding security situation of the country.

“They asked me about my input regarding the security situation in Pakistan and I have given them a positive response for their tour of Pakistan,” he said.

“I am have been here for long and I haven’t faced any untoward incident yet. In New Zealand we have a population of about 4 million and still we have some issues, and here a population hovers 200 million so there are some issues because everyone is not the same.”

Pakistan cricket have suffered allot in nine years without international cricket. But now it is the time that International cricket should fully return to the country, Coles said.

The world is not safe place now, so we should accept it and move ahead, he added.

The head coach further said, “See once men teams start touring Pakistan, then we will invite women teams to come and play here.”

It is needless to mention here that New Zealand last toured Pakistan in 2003, the year after a suicide bombing outside their Karachi hotel killed 15 people.

International fixtures have been slowly returning to Pakistan, with Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, a World XI and West Indies all visiting the country without incident.

Commenting on the recently concluded Departmental T20 Women’s Cricket Championship, he said we have organized a great tournament here in Karachi. It was quite fascinating to see school and college girls coming here in the stadium and watched the final match.

“I am quite surprised to see such great talent in Pakistan. It will now be difficult to select a team for upcoming Asia Cup. But I will try my best to find the best possible combination for the tournament.”

Praising the standard of Pakistan women, he said day by day they are raising the bar. We performed really well, but we fell short in New Zealand. However, we have good results in Sri Lanka.

“I have already set my sites of 10 to 15 girls, who would be playing in the Asia Cup or representing Pakistan in near future,” he added.

It is pertinent to mention here that, The 2018 Women’s Twenty20 Asia Cup will start from June 03 in Malaysia.

https://www.brecorder.com/2018/05/10...with-security/
    Looks like the NZCB are seriously considering the request and not just saying no “politely” by saying they will consider it - as you had previously indicated?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msb314 View Post
    Looks like the NZCB are seriously considering the request and not just saying no “politely” by saying they will consider it - as you had previously indicated?
    I am guessing that 'due diligence' will be done but chances are low, imo

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear some nice views from a foreigner regarding how safe he feels in Pakistan and comparing it to some streets in NZ.

What's also good is that finally the women's team has a foreign coach too as they were in dire need to get a revamp and have a change.

Their performances had been awful for some time and hopefully know they can learn a few things and actually compete a bit better.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Coles concerned about state of Pakistan women's cricket

Pakistan Women's Team Head Coach Mark Coles is concerned about the current state of their cricket, especially due to lack of bench strength.

While talking at the National Stadium in Karachi, Coles voiced his concerns about the women's game.

"We don't have adequate bench strength which is why we have to rely on the current bunch of available players," said Coles. "This is a worrying factor as all other cricket playing nations are progressing at a swift pace as compared to us."

Coles also talked about the initiatives required to improve women's cricket in Pakistan.

"We need to find substitutes for our senior players by working on the grass root level," he said. "I have given my recommendations to the Pakistan Cricket Board but it is now up to them to implement them."

He also spoke about the fitness level of the team by stating: "We need time to take our fitness standards to the desired level but we are working extensively in this regard.”

Pakistan team will begin preparing for the upcoming T20I and ODI series against the West Indies in a training camp, starting on Thursday.

"We will look to improve our game in all three departments - batting, bowling and fielding, " he said. "We are hopeful about putting up a good show in series against Windies."

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...womens-cricket

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The streets of New Zealand
    Based on the prowess of the All blacks , you know he has a point
    The international community need to open up their eyes

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If PCB increases the wages of the players a bit we might see some new talent, I personally know someone who was quite talented and was going to join the Pakistan's womens cricket team but due to the incredibly low wages, she chose to focus on her studies.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    In your head
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt take a team to South Auckland ether.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1953 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    KARACHI - Mark Coles, the head coach of Pakistan’s women cricket team, has called for the formation of an ‘A’ team in an attempt to improve Pakistan’s standards in international competitions. Speaking to media in Karachi on Saturday, the New Zealander said that it is unfair to pick players directly from domestic teams and immediately thrown into international cricket.

“We need an A team, we have talked about it. You can’t keep picking players from domestic teams or the bank’s teams and throw them into international cricket. None of the good sides do that. Australia has A team, U19 team. So has India and South Africa. It is unfair on them [Pakistani players],” Coles said while highlighting the importance of giving players enough exposure before they are picked for the national side.

He also highlighted the importance of participating in women’s leagues internationally to provide Pakistani girls an experience of how things are abroad as far as women cricket is concern. “I think it’s really important for our girls that this happens. There is a league in Bangladesh coming up soon and I think a couple of our players have been invited to it,” he said.

“We would love at least two or three to be involved in the Big Bash. I was talking to Andy (Richards) who has been with Brisbane Heat and he feels that there could be a couple of or three of our players who would be more than capable of playing over there,” the head coach of the Pakistan women team stated.

He, however, expressed his satisfaction with the way the team has performed, saying it was heading in the right direction. “I think that there is certainly some improvement in the batting with it being more positive. There are little improvements in the fielding, and we are starting to back up more and understand what our job is. I’d still like to see some of the bowling being a little bit more consistent,” he said.

“I’m really pleased with it, going really well at the moment, so I’m very happy with where we’re heading,” he responded when asked about the team’s preparation for the upcoming series against West Indies. When asked, the coach said that he was looking forward to finishing among the top four teams so that it can qualify directly for the World Cup.

“Well, that’s the plan yeah. That’s exactly what we want to be doing. We are sitting at six at the moment. We obviously want to do that and it’s a big series against the West Indies [who] are obviously a very good side making the T-20 semi-final. So they are going to be a challenge for us,” he said.

https://nation.com.pk/20-Jan-2019/ne...tandards-coles