User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Can the Pakistan Dam fund be promoted and marketed to overseas non-Pakistanis?

I know this will not be a cause of concern to non-Pakistani's as it isn't their problem but people around the world do donate to charitable causes. I think if we can tap into even 1% of this global population it will be a huge success and you don't have to request for massive donations, donations like $10, $20, $50, $100 will do.

I deal with a lot of Jewish Tax returns and the amount of donations they give out to Jewish organizations is eye popping.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Non Pakistanis will (and do) certainly donate for natural disasters, starving kids, clean water etc but they are not going to fund infrastructure projects such as dams. Resources are not infinite and people have to decide which good causes they want to give to.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The money needed to build the dam is ALOT (around 600 billion). So I think they will have to explore a few other avenues as well. Till Eid the govt. had collected only 1.72 billion.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    The money needed to build the dam is ALOT (around 600 billion). So I think they will have to explore a few other avenues as well. Till Eid the govt. had collected only 1.72 billion.
    That's what I am saying, if it is just restricted to the Pakistani nation and Overseas Pakistani's alone, the target looks very tough. But if a few non Pakistani's contribute to it, it can make a significant difference. How about targeting the Billionaire's in the West who contribute $ millions of dollars to causes worldwide.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    That's what I am saying, if it is just restricted to the Pakistani nation and Overseas Pakistani's alone, the target looks very tough. But if a few non Pakistani's contribute to it, it can make a significant difference. How about targeting the Billionaire's in the West who contribute $ millions of dollars to causes worldwide.
    Unfortunately the sad reality is that the people you are talking about don't really want to associate themselves with Pakistan. Particularly the ones that grew up in the West. It'll be a tough task. The govt. will have to go to great lengths to persuade them because I find it hard to believe that all of them will be convinced on the idea of patriotism.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For foreign investors Pakistan is still an unstable place for investment. Apart from the checkered past of corruption on major projects, there's also the risk of terrorism in a place like Balochistan. So it such cases foreign investors just decide it's not worth the trouble. It will take some time for us to rebrand our image and to bring a consistent stream of foreign investment into the country.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    For foreign investors Pakistan is still an unstable place for investment. Apart from the checkered past of corruption on major projects, there's also the risk of terrorism in a place like Balochistan. So it such cases foreign investors just decide it's not worth the trouble. It will take some time for us to rebrand our image and to bring a consistent stream of foreign investment into the country.
    This is a humanitarian cause, not a foreign investment. Rich people around the world donate to humanitarian causes without asking for anything in return

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a humanitarian cause, not a foreign investment. Rich people around the world donate to humanitarian causes without asking for anything in return
    Rich Pakistanis cannot fund a 600-1000 billion Rs project. It's simply unrealistic. And after they are able to collect a initial amount of money, they will need foreign investors/contractors to come in and both invest in the project and actually start constructing it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rich Pakistanis cannot fund a 600-1000 billion Rs project. It's simply unrealistic. And after they are able to collect a initial amount of money, they will need foreign investors/contractors to come in and both invest in the project and actually start constructing it.
    This is why i am suggesting the Dam fund be promoted and marketed to non-Pakistani's in the West and Middle East. People donate to charity and Humanitarian causes all the time. These people just need to put in $10, $20, $50, $100 which will go a long way.

Americans donated $500 billion to charities in 2018 and Canadians might be given a much lesser but sizable amount

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why i am suggesting the Dam fund be promoted and marketed to non-Pakistani's in the West and Middle East. People donate to charity and Humanitarian causes all the time. These people just need to put in $10, $20, $50, $100 which will go a long way.

Americans donated $500 billion to charities in 2018 and Canadians might be given a much lesser but sizable amount
    America has 585 billionaires. Even Canada has 39. How many do you think Pakistan has even if you account for the people abroad? No many. And they aren't that interested in donating which has been evident up-till now. You can't compare the million/billionaires of a first world country to those of a developing one. Maybe with India but not with Pakistan

10, 50, 100 dollars are peanuts and we can't expect to see a dam in atleast the next 4 years with such small donations.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 9th September 2018 at 00:15.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    America has 585 billionaires. Even Canada has 39. How many do you think Pakistan has even if you account for the people abroad? No many. And they aren't that interested in donating which has been evident up-till now. You can't compare the million/billionaires of a first world country to those of a developing one. Maybe with India but not with Pakistan

10, 50, 100 dollars are peanuts and we can't expect to see a dam in atleast the next 4 years with such small donations.
    So what you are suggesting that people should just not donate then?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what you are suggesting that people should just not donate then?
    I'm suggesting that simply people donating is not going to be enough and it will take far too long. The govt. after it stabilizes from the current economic condition should invest major funds and also find ways to attract foreign investors who have something to gain from the project. Working with the Chinese has proved untenable on this project but I refuse to believe there aren't others out there who wouldn't want to work on it.

It's the govts. job to explore avenues. But sooner of later they have to accept the fact that overseas Pakistanis simply aren't willing to help significantly

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We spent 150Billion on Bhasha Dam" says Khawaja Asif

Question is : IS IT TRUE?

140 characters from Lala's keyboard, it’s as if he’s launched 140 nuclear missiles on India.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never donate to build a dam in another country, especially one known for corruption. I suspect most of the world is like me.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Non Pakistanis aren't going to be much bothered as there are still many who Pakistan in bad light.

Pakistanis don't do themselves any favours either.