Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Sadiq Muhammad too old to be U-19 team manager: Shahid Afridi

KARACHI - Former Pakistan cricket team captain Shahid Afridi on Saturday said Sadiq Muhammad is not the right choice for the post of Under-19 team manager.

"I respect Sadiq Muhammad but he is too old for the post," the former all-rounder said while speaking to the media in Karachi.

Stating that a young cricketer should have been appointed as Under-19 team manager, Afridi said, "Muhammad should be given some other responsibility in the Pakistan Cricket Board." "It is better if either Misbahul Haq or Younis Khan are appointed to the post," he added.

Further, while responding to a question, Afridi said, "Prime Minister Imran Khan is the last hope for change in Pakistan."

Muhammad is a former Pakistani cricketer and younger brother of batsmen Hanif and Mushtaq.

Earlier this month, it was announced that the U-19 team will be coached by Azam Khan, whereas other officials including Manager Sadiq Muhammad, Assistant Coach Muhtashim Rasheed, Fielding Coach Sadiq Faqir, Physiotherapist Usman Ghani, Trainer Saboor Ahmad and Analyst Usman Hasmi will assist the players in the upcoming U-19 Asia Cup tournament.

https://nation.com.pk/09-Sep-2018/sa...-shahid-afridi

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So much disrespect for our former test player. I would strongly advise Afridi to stop giving advise and shut his mouth.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    So much disrespect for our former test player. I would strongly advise Afridi to stop giving advise and shut his mouth.
    Sadiq is 73. This is far too old.

There should be age limit for jobs in PCB. 67 plus is retirement age.

We need 40-50 year olds. Anyone younger should be exceptional to get the job.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    KARACHI : The U19 team manager and former Pakistani player Sadiq Mohammad has asked former Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi that he should respect legends.

“It is his thinking and how he takes his legends. He is old enough to know that he should respect the legends of Pakistan. He has said those words in a taunting manner so that is his problem,” said Mohammad while talking to The Express Tribune. “If it was me in place of him, I wouldn’t have said anything like that to my seniors.”

Mohammad also advised Afridi to be careful whenever he gives a statement.

“He is a mature person and has played with and under great players. He should know when to stop. I won’t do anything except making the team performance better in the U19 Asia Cup. That will be my answer to him,” he said.

Inzamam ousted from PSL player category committee

Earlier, Afridi on Saturday had said that Mohammad is not the right choice for the post of U19 team manager.

“I respect Sadiq Mohammad but he is too old for the post,” the former all-rounder said while speaking to the media in Karachi.

The former captain also added that the Mohammad needs prayers and he should now rest rather than working

Mohammad in reply to this said: “Although I am 73-years-old but still I can stand in the field for more than eight hours. But that is not the requirement of manager post. A manager’s role is purely administrative as they have to analyze the performance by sitting in office.”

Mohammad also commented on Afridi’s suggestion of appointing a young player for the post by saying: “If Misbahul Haq and Younis Khan agree on working at this post then well and good, but I have much experience and I have come from a those areas where all facilities were not available, so I know where to work on.”

Earlier this month, it was announced that the U19 team will be coached by Azam Khan, whereas other officials including manager Sadiq Mohammad, Assistant Coach Muhtashim Rasheed, Fielding Coach Sadiq Faqir, Physiotherapist Usman Ghani, Trainer Saboor Ahmad and Analyst Usman Hasmi will assist the players in the upcoming U19 Asia Cup tournament.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1801486...shahid-afridi/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we need to groom managers tha are good enough to take over the national team in the future. bad move, we need players who have just finished playing, take india as an example, dravid nurturing the youngsters can only be beneficial.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sadiq will treat it as a paid vacation.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    These old people don't like bluntlness

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    These old people don't like bluntlness
    Its called respect for the elderly. Although Afridi knows better than to disrespect someone from the Mohammed family.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Legend!!!!

I see a great merit in this appointment - these U19 kids won't miss a Grand Dad on tour.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Sadiq is 73. This is far too old.

There should be age limit for jobs in PCB. 67 plus is retirement age.

We need 40-50 year olds. Anyone younger should be exceptional to get the job.
    Absolutely.

Coming back to Sadiq-Afridi issue

There seems to be some history in it.

Takes me back to this Domestic T20 Semifinal between Karachi and Sialkote

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8...20-cup-2009-10

In that tournament Karachi City Cricket Assosication (KCCA) really went against legend's wishes and insulted his services to the city and Pak team and appointed a new captain in Sami and Coach was also someone who (seemed like as if) he did not give into to bullying of the legend. His name was Sadiq Mohammad.

Long story short, tournament started and Sami led Karachi well and team went on to make it to Semi Final and surprisingly got Sialkot bowled out for 149 (to put things into prespective in other games of the tournament Sialkot scored, 170+, 190+ scores) So Karachi under new leader had not only great chance of winning under a new captain but also starting a new strong partnership between young(ish) captain and the coach (sadiq).

So in that chase Karachi got off to terrible start and were 4/22 in 3 overs and then Afridi played well for his 29 and had tipped the balance back in Karachi's favor with under 100 runs required in 15 overs, Now all that was required to be little more of "playing for the team" and the new Captain-Coach team would have won the game with the help of the legend. But that is not what happened.

NOT only that but in post game interview Afirdi openly blasted the Coach and blamed him for the loss of Karachi. It was absolutely the most disgusting thing i have ever seen in my life in a post game interview and trust me I have been following the game for a while. It was Afridi at his absolutle worse behavior.

Sami has only one person to blame....he is afridi.

But Afridi did successfully get his point across....He knew he was in a Win-Win situation...If his Irresponsible batting was to come off...he would have said, i should have be captain all along....if his irresponsible batting didnt come off...he still didnt lose anything

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...45#post2487345

I doubt that Afridi's current comment towards Sadiq has much to do with his age at this point and has more to do with his past relationship with Afridi...My huntch is that from lthe end of 2009 Champion's trophy Afridi had been eyeing the Test captaincy for the national team and he wanted his City's (Support) in the form of Media people from the City (TV pundits + Print media folks) people associated with Karachi City Cricket Assosication (KCCA), Ex cricketers from Karachi (who make up the majority of people that show up on different TV channels as *Cricket experts*, he had all(majority) of them on his side and had been working towards presenting afridi as the best captaincy option for the national team for past few months.

Seems like as if Sadiq mohammad was not on same boat and opposed Afridi as a captain and backed Sami for captaincy and that is something Afridi is yet to get over with.
    Last edited by Bouncer; 13th September 2018 at 14:55.