Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    18,407
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Are there any decent wicket-keeper batsmen in India?

    India doesn’t have recent history of producing wicket keepers who can bat . Looking at Pant he has looked clueless both behind and on stumps . Dhoni was gem , Dravid was forced to keep as India didn’t had any choice .
    India has huge gap to fill for test wicketkeeper batsmen . And for Odis too next year when Dhoni leaves
    Who are the options other than Pant ?
    If only Pant is the answer than he needs a serious overhauling first with gloves and then with bat .


    New Era of Team Pakistan

  2. #2
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,398
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good wicketkeeper batsman are tough to find. There was a time when we had guys like Ajay Ratra, Sameer Dighe, Saba Karim, MSK Prasad, Nayan Mongia then came Dhoni and we didn't have to look for another good keeper for a decade atleast. I think that same time of average guys playing as keeper batsman for India has come again.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    18,407
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Good wicketkeeper batsman are tough to find. There was a time when we had guys like Ajay Ratra, Sameer Dighe, Saba Karim, MSK Prasad, Nayan Mongia then came Dhoni and we didn't have to look for another good keeper for a decade atleast. I think that same time of average guys playing as keeper batsman for India has come again.
    What happned to Saha ? Where is he

  4. #4
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    26,233
    Mentioned
    1397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Our padosi friends may be very pessimistic about wicketkeeper batsmen in India, well Pant is only 20 and will come good sooner rather than later. Then there is Samson.

  5. #5
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,944
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    India doesn’t have recent history of producing wicket keepers who can bat . Looking at Pant he has looked clueless both behind and on stumps . Dhoni was gem , Dravid was forced to keep as India didn’t had any choice .
    India has huge gap to fill for test wicketkeeper batsmen . And for Odis too next year when Dhoni leaves
    Who are the options other than Pant ?
    If only Pant is the answer than he needs a serious overhauling first with gloves and then with bat .
    Pant, Ishan Kishan and Samson.

    When MSD leaves, he will not be missed based on his performances in the last 4 yrs.

    MSD is a big culprit for not retiring from ODI and T20. Pant should have played in the T20 series which suits his style before taking up gloves in Tests.

    These same players will smash England if the series was played in India. So calling them pathetic is wrong. Many of them are playing for the first time in England.

    India should back Pandya, Pant , Rahul and Vihari etc. They will come good.

    To me the main culprits are Rahane and Dhawan. Rahane in particular. What has he somebody the entire series? He is the most experienced along with Kohli and Rahane failed miserably every time. Just a paltry 50 is not enough in 9 innings.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,922
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found Pant impressive with gloves. His batting is quite low standards as far as test cricket is concerned. Seems like a limited over batsmen. But he is 20 and has time to turn it on.

    Should have played 20 ODIs and then brought back into test cricket.

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,944
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    What happned to Saha ? Where is he
    He is a good keeper. His batting is terrible. He cannot score much even in India.

    Against WI, he will score 20’s and 30’s in the next series and everyone will say he was missed one England completely forgetting the quality of attack and conditions.

    I would prefer Pant over him still. A guy qigong a lot of upside over a 32 year old keeper who cannot bat.

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    7,944
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I found Pant impressive with gloves. His batting is quite low standards as far as test cricket is concerned. Seems like a limited over batsmen. But he is 20 and has time to turn it on.

    Should have played 20 ODIs and then brought back into test cricket.
    For that the great grand pa MSD has to retire first. The selfish old man will continue to play unless he is kicked out.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,398
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I found Pant impressive with gloves. His batting is quite low standards as far as test cricket is concerned. Seems like a limited over batsmen. But he is 20 and has time to turn it on.

    Should have played 20 ODIs and then brought back into test cricket.
    Heard the same thing about Parthiv Patel and Dinesh Karthik when they were young. With the amount of Pyjama League matches this hack will play do you think he can survive in test cricket? Even Karthik couldn't cement his place in the test team after playing for more than a decade.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    18,407
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I found Pant impressive with gloves. His batting is quite low standards as far as test cricket is concerned. Seems like a limited over batsmen. But he is 20 and has time to turn it on.

    Should have played 20 ODIs and then brought back into test cricket.
    He looked Umar Akmal behind stumps don’t know what you saw impressive in him he has conceded more byes than what he has scored . He falls over he goes opposite direction of ball

  11. #11
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,398
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    For that the great grand pa MSD has to retire first. The selfish old man will continue to play unless he is kicked out.
    I would rather have Dhoni for the world cup than these hacks who don't use their brain.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,922
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    For that the great grand pa MSD has to retire first. The selfish old man will continue to play unless he is kicked out.
    You should show a bit of respect to the man but yes, he should have retired 2 yrs ago. Pant would have played 20 games till now. The way he is batting in this series makes us feel like he is confused whether to take attacking approach or to defend. It seems he is told too many things and he doesn't know what to do.

    Hence, should have started with the easier format. Test cricket demands to have your mentality to be more clear and positive.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    4,070
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    give this kid a break he is only 20 who is playing first time in the most difficult country for wicket keeper and also alien condition for batting
    Last edited by saeed5646; 8th September 2018 at 19:06.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    22,203
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Writing a 20 year old off already lol? Give Pant a home series before passing any sort of judgement.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,922
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    He looked Umar Akmal behind stumps don’t know what you saw impressive in him he has conceded more byes than what he has scored . He falls over he goes opposite direction of ball
    He was very good in his first two tests, highly impressive in the one in which he took 5 or 6 catches. Unfortunately, he has been dodgy with gloves this test, not sure what went wrong. Worth a try for more matches. He will come good.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,398
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Writing a 20 year old off already lol? Give Pant a home series before passing any sort of judgement.
    Age has nothing to do here. He is not going to change his mindset during batting. He is going to remain a tullaybaaz. His keeping will be exposed too on spinning tracks. Guys like Karthik, Patel couldn't improve themselves after playing for so many years. Era of mediocre Indian wicketkeeper batsman has returned again.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    26,185
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Stay on topic.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  18. #18
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,398
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    What happned to Saha ? Where is he
    He is injured. I think he is the best option after Dhoni in tests.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    84
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not know why india have turned blind eye towards uday kaul
    he is a decent bat

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    4,665
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pant is athletic but his keeping technique aint impressive. Dhoni was gold!


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  21. #21
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    88,133
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Sanju Samson can be tried . Nothing to lose .

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,362
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Pant's a better batsman than keeper. Not saying much that. He will probably flay bowlers to all corners in Asia, but his wicketkeeping needs a lot of work. He has looked like a school kid when attempting to catch balls on his right side. A lot of it is because of his standing position.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,922
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pant is having a terrible match..

  24. #24
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,041
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any decent wicket-keeper batsmen in India?
    There is an article on KS Bharat, a wicketkeeper in espncricinfo.

    Maybe.....


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •