User Tag List

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What should be India's playing XI for Tests in Australia?

I would go with this

01.Rahul (deserves one more outing and also can't include 2 new openers)
    02.????
    03.Pujara
    04.Kohli (c)
    05.Rahane
    06.wk ???? (Pant if does well against Win, batting and keeping)
    07.Jadeja
    08.U Yadav
    09.Ishant
    10.Shami
    11.Bumrah

Pandya's bowling may be ineffective (as usual) and his batting is nothing to write home about and, not too sure about Vihari either

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    India need 5 bowling option.

Jadeja might play as a sole spinner , with Pandya and three seamers

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I would go with this

02.????
    03.Pujara
    04.Kohli (c)
    05.Rahane
    07.Jadeja
    08.U Yadav
    09.Ishant
    10.Shami
    11.Bumrah

Pandya's bowling may be ineffective (as usual) and his batting is nothing to write home about and, not too sure about Vihari either
    That is largely the same middle order. You guys need to try bringing in more new players, Pujara and Rahane who come good once/series simply do not make the cut. Don't see the point in continuing with Rahul either after such a dreadful series, it is not like he setting the world alight in ODIs either. And even before this series, his stats were good at best, not exceptional.

India needs to bring in 2 new openers who can play the swinging cherry. It amazes me how there's 55+ averaging batsmen in abundance yet they look all at sea when on the crease facing an international attack. Vihari played a decent knock but looked like a mere reflection of someone with a solid technique. The only player that oozes ability is VK.

The Indian batting needs a drastic change, otherwise I don't see the team winning a series in NZ/SA/AUS/ENG for the foreseeable future.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rahul
    Pujara
    Rahane
    Kohli
    Vihari/any young batsmen
    Hardik
    Pant
    Jadeja
    Ishant
    Shami
    Bumrah

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Rahul
    2. Shaw
    3. Pujara
    4. Kohli
    5. Rahane/Gill
    6. Pant
    7. Pandya
    8. Jadeja
    9. Shami
    10. Ishant
    11. Bumrah

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1397 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    1.Shaw
    2.Rahul
    3.Pujara
    4.Kohli
    5.Rahane
    6.Vihari
    7.Pant
    8.Ashwin/Jadeja
    9.Ishant
    10.Shami
    11.Bumrah

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I would go with this

02.????
    03.Pujara
    04.Kohli (c)
    05.Rahane
    07.Jadeja
    08.U Yadav
    09.Ishant
    10.Shami
    11.Bumrah

Why are you worrying we are not going to win test series anyway i lost my interest in test somewhat in odis also

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shaw
    Rahul
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahane
    Pandya/Vihari
    Pant
    Jadeja
    Shami
    Ishant
    Bumrah

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul
    Shaw/agarwal
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahane
    Vihari/nair
    Pant
    Ash/ jadeja
    Ishant
    Shami
    Bumrah

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Pujara, Agarwal
    KL, Kohli, Rahne, Vihari
    Saha
    BK, Kuldeep, Ishant, Bumrah
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Shaw, Pandeya, Shami, Ashwin, Pant, 17th man Jadeja

In AUS, they play with Kookaburra, which stops swinging after 23-25 overs or so. Therefore, BK should be in XI, to use the new ball better, and he should be ready to bowl 10-12 overs in morning session. Tough luck for Shami, but with his height, he might struggle in AUS - Ishant should play ahead of him. Finger spinners don't work much in AUS, less with Kookaburra because of the low seem, therefore Jadeja misses out from 16. I'll always pick a leggi in AUS - if not Kuldeep, they should try Chahal or someone new, but a genuine leggi - not leg spinning all-rounder like last time they picked (forgot guys name, had about 60 wicket in 35 FC game as lead leg-spinner!!!!). Ashwin will fight the all-rounder's spot with Pandeya, if they want to play an all-rounder at 6-7, instead of Vihari.

Saha is one of the most under rated players in world - I am sure he can average better than 20 with bat in AUS and he'll keep better than DK or Pant without gloves!!! Pant is new kid in block, so he should be back-up WK.

Finally the opener's spot. Agarwal has been in splendid from for last year or two, he should get his chance - can't do worse than Dhawan or Vijay. I don't think it's justice for Shaw to open straightway, he should be backup, just in case. Finally, for the other opener's spot, I think it's better to open with Pujara & play KL at 3. In AUS, against Kookaburra, best openers need to leave lots of balls on length in first 15-20 overs because of the natural bounce (& height of Aussie pacers)- once the ball stops swinging, AUS is best place for stroke makers. That's why I think Pujara should open and play his natural game against new ball, while KL can come at 3 and play his natural game against semi old ball. If they open with KL, he might hit out too early against Hezlewood/Strac/Cummins andwon't last long enough to cash against 25-65 overs of Kookaburra.

If they want one more middle order as back-up, Pandeya losses out to Iyer.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Pujara, Agarwal
    KL, Kohli, Rahne, Vihari
    Saha
    BK, Kuldeep, Ishant, Bumrah
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Shaw, Pandeya, Shami, Ashwin, Pant, 17th man Jadeja

In AUS, they play with Kookaburra, which stops swinging after 23-25 overs or so. Therefore, BK should be in XI, to use the new ball better, and he should be ready to bowl 10-12 overs in morning session. Tough luck for Shami, but with his height, he might struggle in AUS - Ishant should play ahead of him. Finger spinners don't work much in AUS, less with Kookaburra because of the low seem, therefore Jadeja misses out from 16. I'll always pick a leggi in AUS - if not Kuldeep, they should try Chahal or someone new, but a genuine leggi - not leg spinning all-rounder like last time they picked (forgot guys name, had about 60 wicket in 35 FC game as lead leg-spinner!!!!). Ashwin will fight the all-rounder's spot with Pandeya, if they want to play an all-rounder at 6-7, instead of Vihari.

Saha is one of the most under rated players in world - I am sure he can average better than 20 with bat in AUS and he'll keep better than DK or Pant without gloves!!! Pant is new kid in block, so he should be back-up WK.

Finally the opener's spot. Agarwal has been in splendid from for last year or two, he should get his chance - can't do worse than Dhawan or Vijay. I don't think it's justice for Shaw to open straightway, he should be backup, just in case. Finally, for the other opener's spot, I think it's better to open with Pujara & play KL at 3. In AUS, against Kookaburra, best openers need to leave lots of balls on length in first 15-20 overs because of the natural bounce (& height of Aussie pacers)- once the ball stops swinging, AUS is best place for stroke makers. That's why I think Pujara should open and play his natural game against new ball, while KL can come at 3 and play his natural game against semi old ball. If they open with KL, he might hit out too early against Hezlewood/Strac/Cummins andwon't last long enough to cash against 25-65 overs of Kookaburra.

If they want one more middle order as back-up, Pandeya losses out to Iyer.
    Karn Sharma it was. He was awful. Had Dhoni played an established spinner on a dust bowl in Adelaide in Ashwin, India would have won that much.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Karn Sharma it was. He was awful. Had Dhoni played an established spinner on a dust bowl in Adelaide in Ashwin, India would have won that much.
    I see, now he has about 180 wickets in 65 games, that's about 125 wickets in last 30-35 games, which is fine; but he was bang average at Adelaide, on a wicket where Lyon took 12. I'll take the Leg spinner purely on bowling merit, if he is to bat at 11 like Chandra, Hirwani or Subhas Gute, so it be.

Regarding that Adelaide Test, not sure if IND could have won that, because AUS declared in both innings (lost 12 wickets in total), and they were always well ahead, just that one wonderful innings from Kohli make it like close.