Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah's form in current domestic season raises a question mark

Well after coming back from the injury that kept him out of the England and Ireland tour, Yasir was given a few ODI's on Pakistan's tour to Zimbabwe which was his first match practice since PSL.
    In current domestic season he has played 1 complete FC match and 1 LA match, in which he has gone wicketless. In the current match SNGPL vs FATA, he has also gone wicketless in the first innings with 22 overs without a wicket for 30 runs. In the second innings he hasn't bowled yet and Mohammad Hafeez has taken 4 of the 5 wickets to have fallen as of now.

We have an important series against Australia coming up after Asia Cup, and tours to SA and NZ. Does Yasir's lack of form an alarming sign for us?
    Or will he be able to get his touch back in time for Tests against Aus?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think Shadab should play ahead of him . Adds more value with the bat and currently seems to be a better spinner as well.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    I think Shadab should play ahead of him . Adds more value with the bat and currently seems to be a better spinner as well.
    I don't think Pakistan's think tank are going to make the same blunder this year by going in with a lone spinner in UAE Tests like they did last year against SL. Shadab and Yasir are probably going to play both with one of Fahim or Amir/Hasan playing.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir is a proven performer and will come good.If he fails in the Australia series,then that would be alarming.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raza hasan says hi

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Yasir is a proven performer and will come good.If he fails in the Australia series,then that would be alarming.
    Hopefully that will be the case as we can't afford our best match winner in Tests to not perform.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirza105 View Post
    Raza hasan says hi
    Don't consider him to be as good as Yasir in Tests. He is more of an LOI bowler, even there his form hasn't been great since his return.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has done a good job for Pakistan but his fitness isn't great and he is getting on in terms of age. We should be looking for his successor.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think pakistan are going to struggle against Australia in tests. Having two leg spinners, out of which one is not a proven wicket taker and the other is not in best form Just doesn't seem right. Absence of Rehman like finger spinners will surely hurt pakistan. Hope Mickey realises this .

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Well after coming back from the injury that kept him out of the England and Ireland tour, Yasir was given a few ODI's on Pakistan's tour to Zimbabwe which was his first match practice since PSL.
    In current domestic season he has played 1 complete FC match and 1 LA match, in which he has gone wicketless. In the current match SNGPL vs FATA, he has also gone wicketless in the first innings with 22 overs without a wicket for 30 runs. In the second innings he hasn't bowled yet and Mohammad Hafeez has taken 4 of the 5 wickets to have fallen as of now.

We have an important series against Australia coming up after Asia Cup, and tours to SA and NZ. Does Yasir's lack of form an alarming sign for us?
    Or will he be able to get his touch back in time for Tests against Aus?
    So in other words, in one game?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Poor fitness, does not add much with the bat, 32 years old now and gets smashed overseas unless there is some turn on offer. He is a workhorse and very reliable in the UAE/Asia, but I think he will need replacing in a year or too.

Not sure who are the candidates at this point - Shadab adds a lot to the team but purely as a leg-spinner, he has a long way to go. I think a spin bowling crisis is upon us - we were lucky that Yasir stepped in immediately as soon as Ajmal finally got caught, but that may not be the case every time.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 12th September 2018 at 21:23.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shadab needs to bowl more in first class cricket in 4 day games if he wants to further strengthen his claims for selection in test cricket

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm concerned on three fronts with respect to Pakistan's upcoming home assignments:

1) Sarfraz's captaincy. I think he is a very weak Test captain. His character works well in T20s and to an extent in ODIs but his over exuberance and impatience can cost us dearly. Sarfraz did well as a captain in the 3 tests in England/Ireland this summer because those are places where things happen at a rapid pace. UAE on the other hand demands EXTREME patience. the reason why Misbah was such a successful captain in the UAE is because he was literally a python biding his time and strangulating opponents. Things that opposing captains never did. But can Sarfraz show the same amount of patience?

2) Lack of quality spin. Our spinning department isn't as good as it used to be. Yasir is seemingly on the decline. This home summer will tell us which direction Yasir is going. For us to win, yasir HAS to be on his A game and be the top-wicket taker this summer.

3) Mickey Arthur. This guy has a typical South African mindset. He thinks he will win matches through his fast bowlers. The fact that he played 1 spinner against SL and then justified his selection later on was criminal. Sackable offence in my view. If he still hasn't learned the horrors of playing 1 spinner, then God save Pakistan against Australia and NZ. Mickey, if not going with 3 spinners and 1 fast bowler, should atleast go with 2.5 spinners.
    Last edited by shariqnoor; 12th September 2018 at 15:36.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think his class makes him a certain selection for the series.

Only a truly disastrous first Test wouldn't see him selected for both, given his record. From the outside, that would be my assumption.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan seriously need a genuine left-arm spinner, and not just any spinner [Nawaz], but a quality bowler that can form a good partnership with Shadab.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I think, he is just easing his way back in - has a huge season coming up.
    Hafeez taking wickets usually means chucking
    As for Hasan Raza - we have enough experience with dope fiends to not let this guy back.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1664 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Indeed alarming. Yasir isn't a great turner, rather he is a slow burner - his game is built on persistent, long & accurate spells. If there is slight issue with his fitness, he might become a burden - PAK can't back on a leggi, whom they want to bowl 60+ overs and goes at 3.5 rate. If I were to call, I would have taken both Yasir & Irfan (Leggi) in that A Team practice game and ask Captain to bowl 60-70 overs with them - whoever comes stronger, should get the nod. At this point with options available, PAK shouldn't be mentally blocked that Yasir & only Yasir for his past record.

Ideally, PAK attack should be a Leggi, a SLAO (Raja & Gohar both are bowling long spells and bowling beautifully) & an off-spin all-rounder, may be Bilal (no other option, unless the call Haseeb for the pre-tour squad). Only way, this AUS side can avoid 2-0 is a selection blunder on absolute dead UAE tracks. My 2 pacers will be Wahab & Fahim - one to use the old ball and other to take the shine off from new ball. Against 3 men pace attack, this Khawaja guy alone might be enough to save a Test at Abu Dhabi .

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Indeed alarming. Yasir isn't a great turner, rather he is a slow burner - his game is built on persistent, long & accurate spells. If there is slight issue with his fitness, he might become a burden - PAK can't back on a leggi, whom they want to bowl 60+ overs and goes at 3.5 rate. If I were to call, I would have taken both Yasir & Irfan (Leggi) in that A Team practice game and ask Captain to bowl 60-70 overs with them - whoever comes stronger, should get the nod. At this point with options available, PAK shouldn't be mentally blocked that Yasir & only Yasir for his past record.

Ideally, PAK attack should be a Leggi, a SLAO (Raja & Gohar both are bowling long spells and bowling beautifully) & an off-spin all-rounder, may be Bilal (no other option, unless the call Haseeb for the pre-tour squad). Only way, this AUS side can avoid 2-0 is a selection blunder on absolute dead UAE tracks. My 2 pacers will be Wahab & Fahim - one to use the old ball and other to take the shine off from new ball. Against 3 men pace attack, this Khawaja guy alone might be enough to save a Test at Abu Dhabi .

Surely Arthur won't be pick 3 pacers in the UAE again!!!!!!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InziRules View Post
    So in other words, in one game?
    39-10-82-0

10-1-38-0

22-9-30-0

2-0-7-1

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spinners in test is one area where we should be worried. I really like M.Irfan. Dont know when that guy will get a chance.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing to worry about here, he is proven at test level and will do a job for Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Spinners in test is one area where we should be worried. I really like M.Irfan. Dont know when that guy will get a chance.
    M Irfan the legspinner has played 14 matches and taken 17 wickets at an average of 49 in FC.
    What happened to Shahzaib Ahmed he doesn't seem to be playing FC cricket recently.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Don't consider him to be as good as Yasir in Tests. He is more of an LOI bowler, even there his form hasn't been great since his return.
    All 3 formats combined I think Raza is the best spin bowler in Pakistan and in tests has real potential as a bowling all rounder a match winning one.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    M Irfan the legspinner has played 14 matches and taken 17 wickets at an average of 49 in FC.
    What happened to Shahzaib Ahmed he doesn't seem to be playing FC cricket recently.
    Legspinners take the most time and coaching to develop. Irfan is very talented.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric1234 View Post
    All 3 formats combined I think Raza is the best spin bowler in Pakistan and in tests has real potential as a bowling all rounder a match winning one.
    Based on what?