Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to remember how mediocre this England team has been over the last couple of years. Playing England in England may seem tough for India because of India's awful record in England (7 wins, 34 losses) but when you look at England's recent performances - losing a test at home to WI, drawing a 7th-ranked Pak side at home etc - you'd think that a team that has the # 1 ranking as well as EIGHT consecutive Test series wins would steamroll this England side. You can look at missed opportunities and how India could have won if a few things had been different, but you'd never see the Windies side of the 80s or the Oz sides of the late 90s/early 2000s in the same situation because they'd have absolutely dominated the series and wouldn't have to rely on a couple of sessions in order to win the series.
    Last edited by InziFans; 11th September 2018 at 18:53.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    It was a great series and for that India had to play their part.

India will have to start winning their games abroad as do all the other nations who have ambitions to be the number one side in the world.

It's like Pakistan in 1996 when we had the Aussies on the racks at Hobart only for bad umpiring to deprive us of victory. Or when we put up a great fight in the first test match of the series in Australia 2016. Similarly South Africa rarely get totally outplayed in England or Australia.

All these near misses count for nothing. Its the final result that matters.
    So yes it was an exciting series but India lost it 4-1 and that this not something to happy about.

If I were Indian I would be more worried about the batting and continues fitness worries of Ashwin.

Yadav and Kuldeep couldn't even get in to the side ahead of the senior Jadeja.

Pant is an awful keeper and Kohli's captaincy was abysmal at times.

In fact you could almost point to Kohli's captaincy as being the difference. His field settings at times were a joke.
    Kohli is a poor tactician, I agree. We can only hope he learns and gets better. Our coach, in the other hand needs to be shown the door.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we lost 1-4. Good that we won 4-1 and showed the world why we're #1.

Wait!!!

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    Srinagar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FC has competition for troll threads from our new boy CC, losing by 100+ runs isn't close in any way

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind if a few indians fans think India is number 1 because they fought well. Problem will be if Indian players also think that they are no: 1. And from what we have seen how many of them keep talking about rankings, they may believe so.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Kohli is a poor tactician, I agree. We can only hope he learns and gets better. Our coach, in the other hand needs to be shown the door.
    If Shastri is shown the door, then the guy who bought him there should also be shown the door i.e. Kohli. I don't think Kohli deserves to be captain to be honest. There are other more suited captains in the Indian team who can do the job.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    I don't mind if a few indians fans think India is number 1 because they fought well. Problem will be if Indian players also think that they are no: 1. And from what we have seen how many of them keep talking about rankings, they may believe so.
    Indian fans dont think they are no.1, its ICC rankings that says the same.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The less said about ANY Indian cricket team travelling overseas, the better. With a few exceptions here and there, they have always been mauled. On Indian spinning graveyards, a regular Pakistan visits to India will also take away their joy of being #1 but of course that is not happening.

Also, home teams have advantage no doubts, but SA & AU, are two teams which do GENERALLY well OVERALL. The Indian trolls bring up these teams' record in IND only for bad overseas performance. They know that bringing up overall travelling overseas record will find IND ALONE as THE WORST travelling team in all the top 6-7 teams.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 12th September 2018 at 11:35.

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricVet View Post
    The less said about ANY Indian cricket team travelling overseas, the better. With a few exceptions here and there, they have always been mauled. On Indian spinning graveyards, a regular Pakistan visits to India will also take away their joy of being #1 but of course that is not happening.

Also, home teams have advantage no doubts, but SA & AU, are two teams which do GENERALLY well OVERALL. The Indian trolls bring up these teams' record in IND only for bad overseas performance. They know that bringing up overall travelling overseas record will find IND ALONE as THE WORST travelling team in all the top 6-7 teams.
    You should check the stats because every statement you have made is false or a lie.

For example , SA have 4 away wins and AUS have 3 wins since 2016. India have 5. And SA & AUS have both played more home matches than India in this period.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 12th September 2018 at 11:35.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should check the stats because every statement you have made is false or a lie.

For example , SA have 4 away wins and AUS have 3 wins since 2016. India have 5. And SA & AUS have both played more home matches than India in this period.
    Does 2016 suit you well? What made you decide 2016 stat twisting guru?
    Why not last 5 years?

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I do not have time right now but when get a chance, I will pull AU record in SA, NZ, ENG - the best plces to play cricket. The rest are dust bowls and I do not give a rats behind in those places - as in Pak, Ind, SL, or UAE. Even Zim have better wicket to pay cricket than these barren cricket pitches.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Avoid posting personal and inappropriate stuff.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does 2016 suit you well? What made you decide 2016 stat twisting guru?
    Why not last 5 years?
    Results are the same for the last 4 years.

I took 2 years because in the ICC ranking system 66% weightage is given to matches in the last 24 months.

If you don't know how the ranking system works in the first place then I don't think you're in any position to question the rankings.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference is that India's number 1 ranking has lasted well over 2 years - even after 2 SENA series and a total of 4 away tours. No other team has had 4 away tours and no Asian team has had more than 2 SENA tours in the last 2 years.

So unlike the perceptions that permeates through PP, India's ranking is not based on home seasons.
    Incorrect. Pakistan toured NZ in Nov 2016; Aus in Dec-Jan 2017; and England in May-June 2018. Unless I've forgotten how to count, your assertion is utterly rubbish.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As if Kohli and men haven't embarrassed us and, now this thread to add insult to the injury.

Our fans are going Bangla way, finding excuses and moral victories.

How did we prove our #1 by losing 1-4?? This breaks all logics. It's not like we won 4-1.

About #1, yes we are and deservingly so.
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 11th September 2018 at 20:57.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Incorrect. Pakistan toured NZ in Nov 2016; Aus in Dec-Jan 2017; and England in May-June 2018. Unless I've forgotten how to count, your assertion is utterly rubbish.
    You're correct. 3 series. A total of 7 matches in 3 series as opposed to India's 8 matches in 2 series.

But 3 series nonetheless.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    If Shastri is shown the door, then the guy who bought him there should also be shown the door i.e. Kohli. I don't think Kohli deserves to be captain to be honest. There are other more suited captains in the Indian team who can do the job.
    I don't think baring Kohli there's even a single cricketer in this team who can be expected to be in all playing XI in all conditions. Half of them including Pujara, Dhawan, Rahul, ashwin are good only for India, Rahane is disaster in India and the rest are young bowlers, who are still finding their feet. That leaves Ishant Sharma only.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're correct. 3 series. A total of 7 matches in 3 series as opposed to India's 8 matches in 2 series.

But 3 series nonetheless.
    That's a classic piece of goal-post shifting if I've ever seen one. You claimed no Asian team had more than two away tours to Australia, England, New Zealand, and South Africa over the last 2 years, no mention sadly of the number of matches on these tours.

Incidentally, you were also wrong with the claim that no other team has played 4 away series during the last two years. Pakistan toured the Caribbean in April-May 2017, so by my count that is more away tours than India during the same period. Given the assumption that India's tour of the West Indies in July-August 2016 falls outside the purview of this arbitrary 2-year period that you set yourself so graciously. However, even if we did account for that tour in these calculations, Pakistan would have played 5 away series during the same period given that they toured England in July-August 2016.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Indian fans dont think they are no.1, its ICC rankings that says the same.
    Yes the rankings may say that but most sane people will agree that rankings don't reflect the reality. India's ranking is because of heavy dose of domestic series in last 2 years. I am sorry but ranking means zilch.

The same ICC rankings say -
    1. Shakib ul Hasan is the best all rounder in test cricket
    1. Ravindra Jadeja is 3rd best bowler in test cricket.
    2. Pujara, Karunaratne and Chandimal are 6th/7th/8th best test batsmen

Now if you believe in any of above 3 points, then I won't waste my time arguing.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a classic piece of goal-post shifting if I've ever seen one. You claimed no Asian team had more than two away tours to Australia, England, New Zealand, and South Africa over the last 2 years, no mention sadly of the number of matches on these tours.

Incidentally, you were also wrong with the claim that no other team has played 4 away series during the last two years. Pakistan toured the Caribbean in April-May 2017, so by my count that is more away tours than India during the same period. Given the assumption that India's tour of the West Indies in July-August 2016 falls outside the purview of this arbitrary 2-year period that you set yourself so graciously. However, even if we did account for that tour in these calculations, Pakistan would have played 5 away series during the same period given that they toured England in July-August 2016.
    If you think my 2-year period is "arbritary" then you need to spend less time on this website and spend more time reading up the ICC rule book and what criteria they have for their ranking system.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think my 2-year period is "arbritary" then you need to spend less time on this website and spend more time reading up the ICC rule book and what criteria they have for their ranking system.
    Classic whataboutery again. You were playing loose with the facts, I merely took it upon myself to prod you along in the right direction.

By the way, I'm someone who thought India did well during this tour and could have achieved more if it wasn't for some pathetic batting on their part. Nor do I think the number 1 ranking is undeserved. But I don't like it when someone twists, or worse misrepresents, facts to suit an agenda.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the rankings may say that but most sane people will agree that rankings don't reflect the reality. India's ranking is because of heavy dose of domestic series in last 2 years. I am sorry but ranking means zilch.

Now if you believe in any of above 3 points, then I won't waste my time arguing but only point I will make is
    Shakib Al Hasan most certainly is the best all-arounder in test cricket.

Karunaratne scored over 1000 test runs last year and is averaging 65 this year.

Rankings are fluid. They accurately represent the performances of teams and players based on current form (last 24-48 months).

Karunaratne may not go down as a great player but there is no denying that he has been a top 10 performer in tests for the last couple of years.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now if you believe in any of above 3 points, then I won't waste my time arguing.
    Ok so we should not trust ICC rankings but should trust opinions of random posters?

BTW who is rank 1 team in your view?

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so we should not trust ICC rankings but should trust opinions of random posters?

BTW who is rank 1 team in your view?
    T20I rankings are also ICC rankings. Didn't a bunch of Indians here try to discredit Babar Azam's ODI ranking and Pakistan's T20I ranking a little while back?

On topic, I can't even...

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Classic whataboutery again. You were playing loose with the facts, I merely took it upon myself to prod you along in the right direction.

By the way, I'm someone who thought India did well during this tour and could have achieved more if it wasn't for some pathetic batting on their part. Nor do I think the number 1 ranking is undeserved. But I don't like it when someone twists, or worse misrepresents, facts to suit an agenda.
    I miscalculated the number of SENA series and total series Pak played in the last 2 years. It's 3 in SENA and 4 overall. And I have admitted that already.

But I am certainly not wrong in pointing out that Pakistan's 3 test series in SENA comprised of 7 matches and India's 2 series comprised of 8 matches. That's a fact and I know you agree with that too.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    T20I rankings are also ICC rankings. Didn't a bunch of Indians here try to discredit Babar Azam's ODI ranking and Pakistan's T20I ranking a little while back?
    And was every Pakistan team fan not defending their team's T20 ranking? So why the change of heart now? Why has the ranking system suddenly lost credibility in the eyes of these same fans?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On topic, I can't even...
    Not sure about other Indians but I hv never doubted Pak's T20 ranking. They are indeed the best team in t20 and we are no.1 in real deal.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And was every Pakistan team fan not defending their team's T20 ranking? So why the change of heart now? Why has the ranking system suddenly lost credibility in the eyes of these same fans?
    Way to turn a blind eye to the hypocrisy of Indian fans here. The ranking system loses and gains credibility based on what it's saying about India.

is hammaam mein sab nangay hain boss

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the Liverpool fans who post "alternative table" to show why they're the no.1 side

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to turn a blind eye to the hypocrisy of Indian fans here. The ranking system loses and gains credibility based on what it's saying about India.

is hammaam mein sab nangay hain boss
    I have actually always defended Pakistan's T20 ranking.

And if you had actually seen my posts on this forum you would have noticed that I have on multiple occasions praised Pakistan and especially Sarfraz on the CT17 performance.

I'm a lot less biased then you seem to think. I have a lot of respect for every player and team, as I have previously posted on this forum. My issue is never with any teams, only some boisterous and self-entitled "fans".

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Losing 4-1 has not proved anything for goodness sake. They did fight hard in the fourth test although losing it comfortably in the end. They are number one having won more matches in the past so deserve to be there....at the moment.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest here, most teams would hv folded like sack of pins on 5th day of a 5 test series chasing 464 with their top 3 batsman out for nothing. But not for this team, it has shown guts and intent and fought against Eng bowlers pound for pound.

Not only this game but with the exception of Lords, which was played on some drastic weather conditions, this team has shown fight throughout the test series. Only if toss had gone in India's favour, they very well might have won this series.

With imaculate record at home and very competitive away, has India marked its authority as the undisputed no.1 team in test cricket?
    At least 3 of the 4 Tests they lost in England were competitive. England in comparison were totally destroyed in India, losing the last 2 Tests by an innings after having scored 400 or more in the first innings.

India's record in SA and England is 2-6, while their record in India is 0-7. No other team can make a better claim for the #1 ranking than the Indian team.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The Indian team need to close out games overseas. They had 3 chances at least to close of games in the last two tours.
    1st Test in SA, chasing 200 India were 30/0.
    First Test in Eng, chasing 191
    4th Test in England chasing 240 they were 122/3.

India squandered all the above opportunity. We should also mention the bowling meltdown as well. Having England on the mat in the first Test second innings at 87/7, 4th Test first innings 86/6 and 5th Test first innings 182/7. Unless India starts winning these games, they aren't going to be the best in the world.

The bowling is good but it needs to be better.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    Unless India starts winning these games, they aren't going to be the best in the world.
    If not India, who would be the best?

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    If not India, who would be the best?
    Number 1 ranking and best team in the World are two different things. India are number 1 in the world in terms of ranking and no one is disputing that. India win well at home and are decent overseas but if India wants to be the best in the world they need to win more games and even series. If India is content in just being number 1 they can continue to do so by beating teams well at home. I as an Indian fan want India to be called as the undisputed best team in the world. The quality of cricket is poor all around, no team has the ability to win away from home and if India start to do that then no one will question their stature.

There were Tennis players like Thomas Muster and Gustavo Kuerten who were ranked number 1 in Tennis due to the points they accumulated and winning slams in their favourite surface. No one disputed that but everyone knew that they were not the best in the world. You have to be like Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, that was what the West Indies and the Australian teams were. No one disputed their ranking or stature as the best in the world.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Number 1 ranking and best team in the World are two different things. India are number 1 in the world in terms of ranking and no one is disputing that. India win well at home and are decent overseas but if India wants to be the best in the world they need to win more games and even series. If India is content in just being number 1 they can continue to do so by beating teams well at home. I as an Indian fan want India to be called as the undisputed best team in the world. The quality of cricket is poor all around, no team has the ability to win away from home and if India start to do that then no one will question their stature.

There were Tennis players like Thomas Muster and Gustavo Kuerten who were ranked number 1 in Tennis due to the points they accumulated and winning slams in their favourite surface. No one disputed that but everyone knew that they were not the best in the world. You have to be like Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, that was what the West Indies and the Australian teams were. No one disputed their ranking or stature as the best in the world.
    Okay. So according to you, among the current international teams which is the best team in the world?

My point is that, while it is true that the current Indian team does not do as well playing abroad as the Aus and WI teams from the past, however they are still better than other current teams.
    Last edited by Napa; 12th September 2018 at 04:04.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Okay. So according to you, among the current international teams which is the best team in the world?

My point is that, while it is true that the current Indian team does not do as well playing abroad as the Aus and WI teams from the past, however they are still better than other current teams.
    Like I mentioned in my above post already, no one which includes India. There is no best team in the world, there are average sides who are just statistically ranked in sequence. There is no stand out team like the Australia and West Indies teams of the past or even like the South African team of the last 2 decades.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we saw that India are rubbish away from home in testing conditions.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your team was whitewashed by SL and their spinners. What makes you think your team has any chance in India?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 12th September 2018 at 11:36.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible to see that the fans of the number one ranked team are celebrating a 4-1 loss.

Thankfully despite being a lowly ranked team,I don't think I have ever seen Pakistani fans celebrate a series loss lol.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like I mentioned in my above post already, no one which includes India. There is no best team in the world, there are average sides who are just statistically ranked in sequence. There is no stand out team like the Australia and West Indies teams of the past or even like the South African team of the last 2 decades.
    It is illogical to say that there is no best team in the world. The only way that is possible is if there there two teams at the top who were equally strong.

Let me ask the question in a different way "Which current International team do you consider to be as good as the current Indian team?"

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest here, most teams would hv folded like sack of pins on 5th day of a 5 test series chasing 464 with their top 3 batsman out for nothing. But not for this team, it has shown guts and intent and fought against Eng bowlers pound for pound.

Not only this game but with the exception of Lords, which was played on some drastic weather conditions, this team has shown fight throughout the test series. Only if toss had gone in India's favour, they very well might have won this series.

With imaculate record at home and very competitive away, has India marked its authority as the undisputed no.1 team in test cricket?
    Surely they fought well, and showed heart and mettle and skill. But this particular performance by them, in England, is at the end of the day a loss. By quite a margin. And will, unless, I am mistaken, count as a demerit in the ICC points stakes. So they can surely make a strong argument for being no 1, still. But that argument has not gotten stronger after this series, it has gotten weaker, however marginally, also in purely statistical terms. A team that could win at least half the time overseas and half the time at home, might certainly be seen as a more worthy title holder than a team with an almost non existent overseas win ratio.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude what you are saying makes no sense! Do you not realise what "best" means?

Nobody has ever said that this Indian team is anything like 90s AUS or 70s WI.

That is NOT the benchmark of the "best" team. Those are once-in-a-lifetime teams. That does not mean that any team that cannot reach that standard is an "average" team. Tha makes no sense.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Brisbane, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morale victories galore.

I hope for the sake of the Indian team that the current management doesn't take the moral victory approach. A No.1 team should be humiliated after losing 4-1. Saying 'India competed well' or the series 'was a lot closer than it looked' is straight minnow mentality and will never result in India making the leap and winning abroad.

AUS competed way better than Ind have here when they played India last year, and win at home year after year, yet no one projects them as a No.1 team. The truth is that there is no outright number 1 ranked team.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Frankly disagree.

India have competed a tad better, but they have shown it will still take probably 1 or 2 years before India can start stamping away tour series wins.

4-1 is a flattering result for England but it has shown winning sessions or some moments means zilch in the longer term.

India could have quite easily won the 1st and 4th tests with a bit more mental toughness and fortitude but they walked off with a loss because the attitude and mental belief wasn't good enough.

I believe Kohli is one person who can inspire sense of self-belief and instill a strong culture of winning in Indian team. He has his weaknesses, but he always overcomes them. Captaincy might not be his strong point now, but his desire to win will make him a better captain over the years. His personal desire to improve will always rub off on his team mates.

The tour has not shown why India is a number one team at all but it has shown why any number 1 team cannot be taken seriously at the moment ( this is not a dig on India but a realistic picture for any team who gets there).

But if you are looking to take positives as an Indian fan there are many and I believe Indian fans can look at light ahead.

If you are looking to take delusions such as "India has proved it is a number 1 team" even after a 4-1 hammering, you are looking to make yourself a laughing stock.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird how Indian fans consider a 4-1 defeat to be some accomplishment. Someone will now remind us "we won a Test" and how the other ones were so close!! As I said no one remembers the victory margin, only the result matters. That "Had we won one more Test it would have been 3-2" type comments or reminding us how Pak lost to Zimbabwe some time back only makes Indian fans look like fools!

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Dude what you are saying makes no sense! Do you not realise what "best" means?

Nobody has ever said that this Indian team is anything like 90s AUS or 70s WI.

That is NOT the benchmark of the "best" team. Those are once-in-a-lifetime teams. That does not mean that any team that cannot reach that standard is an "average" team. Tha makes no sense.
    You are the one who don't realise what best means. Best means better than everyone, which means you are doing something which other teams cannot do. Is India doing that? The last time I saw we went and lost in England and SA. We are winning at home, so are Australia, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Sri Lanka et all. So how are we best in the World? Please enlighten me with your definition of best in the world. Rankings does not make someone best in the world. India are number 1 ranked team in the world but not the best, there are multiple teams who can stake claim similar to India.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    End result is 4-1. This doesn't look close from anywhere. Had this series ended in 3-2 this thread would have made sense. Otherwise it looks like another excuses and moral victory kind of thread by the OP.
    Exactly. Imagine the responses from both Pakistani and Indian posters if I made a thread after losing 5-0 in NZ saying Pakistan is the best team in the world because we fought hard and only lost the last ODI by 15 runs.

Minnow mentality stuff this.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 1-4 defeat to an English side whose top and middle order rarely performed all series is proof that India is World No.1?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    Exactly. Imagine the responses from both Pakistani and Indian posters if I made a thread after losing 5-0 in NZ saying Pakistan is the best team in the world because we fought hard and only lost the last ODI by 15 runs.

Minnow mentality stuff this.
    But what is Pakistan's ranking? It would be absurd to claim a 7th ranked team as best in the world.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oligochaetes View Post
    A 1-4 defeat to an English side whose top and middle order rarely performed all series is proof that India is World No.1?
    OP is being humble - he should have pitched for the "greatest of all time" team award after 1-4 scoreline.

We all love dead rubber hundreds with nothing to lose, don't we?

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on guys. I am an Indian and I wish we were the best. Sadly the fact is: we don't deserve this number 1 tag, or to be more precise, , we should not even care it. Do you guys understand how much embarrassing is it to defend a top rank even after getting soundly beaten in the series 4-1 ?

Forget about ranks. What befallen us is the end result of a spineless coach's cowardice that eventuated in a dirty nepotism of a super arrogant captain. We don't necessarily need Virat Kohli , the captain. But we can never afford to lose the greatest batsman of this era. So scrap Kohli, the captain so that he can focus on his game rather than worrying to get his favourites along with him. Scrap the good for nothing coach too. Shastri is a proven misfit.

We got a nasty beating by English this summer. Accept the fact and stop crying for points.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not you but your jealousy speaking. Humiliated in which account? India has fought well in each and every game except the Lords test. With toss going in their favour, who knows what would hv been the result.

Also most teams are good at home and poor away. What seperates India is they are invincible at home and competitive away. And that is why they are no.1 ranked team and if they somehow manage to remain no.1 even after Aust tour, they will stay there till 2022.
    Please unless you are Bangladesh or Afghanistan you are not allowed to call yourself a competitive team if you lose 4-1. We are talking about Indian team here and not some gully team that we can say after losing to Eng 4-1 oh but we were competitive.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    But what is Pakistan's ranking? It would be absurd to claim a 7th ranked team as best in the world.
    But the ranking means nothing if the number 1 ranked supporters are openly saying we are happy with just being competitive as was never going to win anyway. 4-1 is spanking in most people books.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    But the ranking means nothing if the number 1 ranked supporters are openly saying we are happy with just being competitive as was never going to win anyway. 4-1 is spanking in most people books.
    That tells us how serious the competition is around the World. Even a team like Bangladesh is hard to beat in their home games. With all this uncertainty, Indian team managed to maintain #1 ranking for 23 months and they are still going strong.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That tells us how serious the competition is around the World. Even a team like Bangladesh is hard to beat in their home games. With all this uncertainty, Indian team managed to maintain #1 ranking for 23 months and they are still going strong.
    By winning at home? by making sub standard rank turners?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It's also absurd to call a 4-1 defeat close.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The title of this thread makes me laugh. The only thing India has shown is their lack of professionalism. After making mistakes in SA, mostly regarding practice matches and team selection, everyone was expecting them to learn from that. However, those mistakes were repeated in ENG tour. When they were asked fair questions, by journalists, they responded childishly. Their arrogance was highlighted when they claimed themselves to be the best Indian team in the last 15-20 years, and they also indicated themselves to be invincible when the coach said they treat away series as home series. In this tour team India has shown they are very unprofessional.