Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post

He needs 2 more centuries to go past Punter in all format. Nothing can stop him from overtaking Sachin.
    Current 3 of fab 4 are in bottom. See the difference between virat and other 3

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is the greatest all-format batsmen of all-time. He doesn't have the power hitting game of de Villiers but there is no total which is beyond this guy's reach. There is really no doubt that he is a phenomenal player in all three formats of the game and will go down as one of the greatest batsmen in the past 150 years of cricket history.

When people will talk about era-to era, it will be from Bradman to Sobers to Viv to Sachin/Lara and then Kohli.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    He is the greatest all-format batsmen of all-time. He doesn't have the power hitting game of de Villiers but there is no total which is beyond this guy's reach. There is really no doubt that he is a phenomenal player in all three formats of the game and will go down as one of the greatest batsmen in the past 150 years of cricket history.

When people will talk about era-to era, it will be from Bradman to Sobers to Viv to Sachin/Lara and then Kohli.
    Lara does not belong in this discussion, he was below average half his ODI career. Ponting was a better all format batsman than Lara.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Lara does not belong in this discussion, he was below average half his ODI career. Ponting was a better all format batsman than Lara.
    I meant in terms of stature also not better batsmen taking formats.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post

Maybe you should look at the matches played by them too.
    They've played nearly half of the matches kohli has played.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
    He is a machine. Virat is a role model for all youngsters. How he keeps his hunger is an example every budding Indian cricketer should follow

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingT View Post

That is why we have something called average. I very much doubt any of these guys can compete with Kohli in century count.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingT View Post

Your argument is invalid. Combine any two of their figures and they are still behind Kohli.

Big 4 is a myth. In Tests, Smith is slightly ahead of Kohli with KW and Root being distant 3rd and then even more distant 4th.

In ODIs there is King Kohli standing alone and only person close to him is Hitman Rohit Sharma. 3rd best is David Warner and then Root and Williamson together round out top 5.

Steve Smith is not even in the best LOI batsman discussion

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Surely one needs to have performed in big matches to be considered one of the greatest odi batsmen

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    477 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The greatest Batsman of all time. Imo

1) Sir Don Bradman
    2) Vivian Richards
    3) Virat Kohli
    4) Steve Smith
    5) Sachin Tendulkar

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virat is beast on all formats irrespective of home or away pitches.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    New Delhi: A brilliant 2019 done with, 2020 is the year of the World T20. But before that comes the Kiwi challenge for Team India and under the leadership of skipper Virat Kohli and head coach Ravi Shastri, this team has made its priorities very clear. The longest format of the game is closest to their heart and winning on foreign soil is what they call the real deal.

Speaking in his first interview of the new decade, Shastri speaks about Kohli’s love for the longest format, the day he realised that this Indian bowling would be the best in the world and how he deals with the pressure of social media comments that come with his job as the man guiding a group of immensely talented cricketers.

At a time when many want to play in lucrative cash-rich leagues across the world, Kohli says succeeding in Test cricket is the real challenge. So how does it feel as the head coach of a team which has a skipper wanting to be the best in the Test format? Does it have an influence on youngsters as well?

“Massive...not just for the Indian team, but the world when it comes to Test cricket. More than anything else, when a player like him endorses the game in an open manner where he is very clear what he wants out of Test cricket and that he enjoys that format the most.

“So, as a young kid watching the game, when they see a superstar embracing Tests, you will want to emulate him whether you are an Indian, English, Australian, Pakistani or Sri Lankan,” he said.

What helps Kohli and Shastri realise their dream of being the top performers in the longest format is a team of brilliant bowlers led by Jasprit Bumrah and ably assisted by the likes of Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav. And the New Zealand series will once again need them to hold fort in conditions known to help fast bowling.

So when did Shastri believe that this group of bowlers could actually take India to the top of the ladder? Did he see it coming? The coach answers in the affirmative.

“Absolutely...no question about that. I was very clear in South Africa after we had a team meeting after the first day of the Cape Town Test. Then seeing what they did in the second innings, I had no doubt in my mind that if they carry on in this fashion, very soon you will be an attack that will have to be contended with. The fact that they learnt to bowl as a unit, you know made all the difference.

“You bat as a unit and the same goes for the bowling. You understand the situation and go with a common gameplan. It is all related to team play. Once I knew that was happening in South Africa, I knew it was a matter of time for the world to notice,” he smiled.

While the bowlers have been praised by one and all, an area of constant discussion has been the questions aimed at Kohli the skipper at regular intervals. But Shastri rubbishes them and says he hasn’t seen one perfect captain.

“I have not seen one perfect captain. You will have captains with different strengths and weaknesses. I have not seen any perfect captain till today. He might have great strength in one area and might be lacking in another where someone else will be better. So, you have to see the end result and what he makes of his strength and how it affects the team and the opponent.

“With Virat you can see he is someone who is improving by the day. The passion, the energy, the drive he brings to the cricket field is unmatched. I have not seen any other captain bring that kind of energy onto the cricket field. Tactically, there are areas where by doing the job and getting the exposure he will get better. For whoever has captained in this game, there has been a learning curve. I can’t think of one captain who didn’t have to learn from day one. You learn from situations and what he has done is remarkable,” he points.

So does that mean there are differences in opinions when the two sit down to discuss strategies? Or is the criticism that he is often happy to agree with Kohli, true?

“There is always room for fresh ideas. There will be discussions on that and it cannot be that everything you say is right. This team is open to reasoning and even the youngest member in the team can come up with a thought and at the end of the day, we put our heads combined to see what is best in the interest of the team,” he explained.

And what about the social media comments and the constant attention that comes with being the head coach of this team? Does it sometimes bother you?

“I mean that is part and parcel of the Indian cricket. This is nothing new and have grown to know that from when I took the job in 2014. Basically, nothing has changed and it is the passion in our country and love for the game is such. They want the team to do well at all times,” he signs off in typical fashion.

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/s...tri-1.68757291

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli reached another milestone in T20 Internationals as he completed 1000 runs as captain in the shortest format of the game on Tuesday. He got to the landmark during the second T20I against Sri Lanka in Indore.

India aced the chase of 143 runs with Kohli remaining unbeaten on 30 off 17 balls. Shikhar Dhawan (32) making a comeback to the team gave India a steady start along with K.L. Rahul (45). After the openers fell, Kohli and Shreyas Iyer took charge and saw the host over the line.

The India captain also in the process surpassed team-mate Rohit Sharma, who has been rested for the series, as the top run-getter in the T20Is. Kohli now has 2663 runs from 71 innings.

Rohit and Kohli finished 2019 as joint top-scorers in T20Is, with 2633 runs each.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le30506617.ece

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Kohli in 2019 -

Tests - 68 (ave); SR - 63.28; 100's - 2; 50's - 2

ODI - 59.86 (ave); SR - 96.36; 100's - 5; 50's - 7

T20 - 77.66 (ave); SR - 176.47; 50's - 5

Horrible year?
    In tests if you remove that double hundred,he really underperformed as per his standards.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0204 View Post
    In tests if you remove that double hundred,he really underperformed as per his standards.
    Underperformance by his lofty standards might be a debatable topic. But to claim he had a horrible year is a joke.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    India captain Virat Kohli, on Friday, shattered yet another batting record, becoming the fastest to notch 11,000 runs as captain in international cricket.

Kohli, who took just 196 innings to cross the milestone, is followed by Australia's World Cup winning captain Ricky Ponting (252 innings) and now Cricket South Africa (CSA) director Graeme Smith (264 innings).

While, Allan Border, fourth on the list, took 316 innings to reach the milestone, former India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni had done it in 324.

Pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah became India’s highest wicket-taker in the T20 Internationals after he dismissed Sri Lankan opener Danushka Gunathilaka in third and final T20 against Sri Lanka.

Bumrah has now 53 T20 wickets to his name from 45 T20 internationals. Wrist-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal (52 wickets from 37 matches) and ace off spinner Ravichandran Ashwin (52 wickets from 46 matches) are the joint second highest on the list.

Bumrah, who was injured, returned to international cricket from the ongoing series against Sri Lanka.

He had figures of 1/32 in the second T20 at Indore, which the hosts had won by seven wickets. The Gujarat pacer returned with figures of 1-5 in two overs in the third and final game here and made his comeback a memorable one.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le30536312.ece

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  vk.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  69.6 KB

Virat Kohli Takes Stunning Diving Catch To Remove Marnus Labuschagne in the 3rd ODI

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    India vs Australia: Virat Kohli breaks MS Dhoni’s massive ODI record as skipper

Record and Virat Kohli have almost become synonyms in modern cricket. He has been such a prolific player in world cricket that records keep tumbling during most of his innings. In the ongoing three-match ODI series, Kohli completed another milestone. Kohli surpassed MS Dhoni’s world record of fastest to 5000 runs by a skipper in ODI cricket. After the second ODI in Rajkot, Kohli stood just 17 behind Dhoni’s record but did not take long to break it in the third ODI.

Dhoni managed to score 5000 runs as skipper in 127 innings but Kohli achieved the feat in just 82. This shows the remarkable consistency Kohli has shown since becoming the captain of the Indian cricket team.

Not just Kohli, Rohit Sharma has also completed an important milestone in his career. He had a wonderful 2019 where he was a stalwart for India in limited overs cricket. The amount of runs he scored in 2019 even landed him an ICC ODI Player of the Year award. He failed to get going in the first ODI against Australia but looked in brilliant touch during the second ODI encounter in Rajkot. However, he was undone by a delivery from Adam Zampa as he returned to the pavilion after scoring 42 and as a result, he fell four runs short of achieving a major milestone.

Rohit beat the likes of Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and Brian Lara when it comes to scoring 9000 runs in ODIs. The opener reached 9000 runs in 217 innings, leaving behind Ganguly (228 innings), Tendulkar (235 innings) and Lara (239 innings).

The batsman who was the fastest to reach 9000 runs in ODIs was India skipper Virat Kohli who achieved the feat in 194 runs and he is followed by South Africa batsman AB de Villiers (205 innings).

Australia have posted a score of 286/9 with Steve Smith scoring 131 runs.

https://m.hindustantimes.com/cricket...abr28jH2O.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan all-rounder Abdul Razzaq has termed Virat Kohli as a "fantastic player" without a doubt, but believes the Indian skipper is "lucky" as he gets full support from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). "He (Virat Kohli) is a fantastic player and there is no doubt about it. However, he is lucky as the BCCI supports him well and instills the confidence in him that any player needs to succeed," Razzaq was quoted as saying by PakPassion.net.

"The respect he gets from his board is what probably inspires him to do well all the time and the results are there for all to see," he added.

Razzaq also claimed the Pakistani players can also surpass Kohli provided they get the same amount of support from the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) which Kohli gets from BCCI.

"I do believe that even in Pakistan we have players who could become better than Virat Kohli, but they are neglected by our system which is a tragedy. In Kohli's case, he has taken that confidence shown in him by the board and using his talent, repaid them with his performances," the former Pakistan all-rounder said.

Australia's Steve Smith, who is counted to be one of the modern-day greats, on Wednesday heaped praise on Kohli and backed him to break more batting records in the near future.

"Yeah, he is terrific. His batting numbers just speak for themselves. I think he's an incredible player in all three formats and I think we will see him break many records. He's already broken plenty of them and I see him breaking many more over the years. He has got the hunger for runs and doesn't stop getting them," Smith told IANS.

Kohli is currently leading the Indian team in New Zealand where the two teams will compete in five T20Is, three ODIs and two Tests beginning Friday.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/vira...razzaq-2168597

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Indian cricket team skipper Virat Kohli will be on the verge of achieving another major milestone when he takes the field during the first Test encounter against New Zealand in Wellington on Friday. The talismanic batsman, who has already claimed a number of records in the longest format of the sport, is just 11 runs away from becoming the fifth highest run scorer in Tests for India. Former skipper Sourav Ganguly currently holds the fifth spot with 7212 runs. The list is topped by Sachin Tendulkar (15921 runs) followed by Rahul Dravid (13265), Sunil Gavaskar (10122), VVS Laxman (8781) and Virender Sehwag (8503).

Kohli is currently one of the busiest players in contemporary cricket who leads India across formats and is also captain of the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

“I think it’s been eight or nine years that I’ve been playing almost 300 days a year with the travelling and practice sessions,” Kohli told reporters ahead of the first Test match.

“And the intensity is right up there all the time. So it does take a toll on you,” said Kohli, who has grown into the premium batsman of his era since his India debut in 2008.

Kohli takes intermittent breaks to survive the crammed calendar and believes that is the only way one could play all three formats of the game.

“You are going to see a lot of that in the future from many players. Not just myself, especially from the guys who are playing all three formats. It’s not that easy.”

“Periodic breaks for me seems to work pretty okay. At a time when the body doesn’t respond as well, maybe when I am 34-35, you might have a different conversation at that stage.

“But for the next two-three years, I have no issues at all. I can keep going on with the same intensity ...”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...oiUTCMbqK.html

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Kohli will stop playing LoIs after WC '23 and will concentrate on test cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    India captain Virat Kohli might be the best player Australian coach Justin Langer has ever seen in his life but Kohli’s on-field actions had got under his skin and made him feel like a ‘punching bag’ during India’s tour to Australia in 2018-19, revealed the former Australia opener. India, led by Kohli, enjoyed an unprecedented summer Down Under, winning the Border Gavaskar Trophy 2-1, their first-ever Test series win on the Australian soil. It was followed by a 2-1 victory in the ODIs, while the T20 series ended in a 1-1 draw.

Australia who were desperate to restore faith among fans after the sandpaper gate in Cape Town in April 2018, was playing their first big-ticket Test series on home soil without Steve Smith and David Warner - both were banned by Cricket Australia for a year for their involvement in the ball-tampering scandal.

Langer and new Australia Test captain Tim Paine had decided not to engage with Virat Kohli during the four-match series, fearing that might charge him up more. But Paine himself broke his stance during the second Test at Optus Stadium in Perth.

Kohli’s celebrations angered Langer but he could not be expressive about it.

“I remember that afternoon (feeling) like a punching bag. We can’t fight back because it felt like we had our hands behind our backs and we just had to take it,” Langer said in Amazon’s recently released docu-series titled ‘The Test’.

“You must be feeling the double standards the way their captain is carrying on and we sort of have to be careful. Imagine if we behaved two out of ten (of) that,” he said.

“We were 1-0 down but I felt that day Virat was getting under our skin,” Langer added after Kohli gave a send-off to couple of Australian batsmen in the second innings.

Langar asked his players to take on Kohli but warned the hosts not to cross the line between banter and abuse. “There is a difference between abuse and banter. There is no room for abuse. We don’t need to abuse him but there is banter where you stick up for your mate.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...tpy6iJpON.html

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aussies will be out for revenge. They'll win this 4-0.

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Kohli was an ATG long before 2018 actually, but his lack of top class performances in England or captaining a winning side will limit him against other batsmen/captains he is compared to.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli has a point to prove to live up to his stature in test cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Aussies will be out for revenge. They'll win this 4-0.
    rofl. if they lose all 4 tosses they will lose 4 0 to india. india would actually be able to compete even after losing the toss.

india will be well prepared for australia as australia has always been a great cricketing nation albeit a history riddled with controversies like sand paper gate etc.

India don't care about t20 world cup as that's a tournament for minnows. A test vicotry in australia is more precious than even a world cup win. Vice versa with a test vicotry in India for opponents obviously.

india already got one. They can make it 2 but will they? let's see.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Indian national team captain Virat Kohli on Thursday revealed the lowest point in his career in a tell-all Instagram Live chat with former England cricketer Kevin Pietersen.

In the highly anticipated interview, Kohli shared interesting anecdotes about his life, including the highs and lows of his fabled career.

Kohli said that the "lowest point of his career" came during India's tour of England in 2014 when he woke up "knowing he was going to fail."

"There is a time as a batsman when you know you will fail and you will not get runs. I used to wake up and know I would fail. It was the worst I have ever felt. It was tough. I promised myself that I will never allow me to let that happen to myself," he said, as reported by Hindustan Times.

Having already established as the top batsman in the world, and leading a very strong Indian side, Kohli was the focus of the series. But he could manage only 134 runs in ten innings during the five-match Test series.

"It happened because I was so consumed about doing well from a personal point of view. I just felt I was in England and this was Test cricket and if I score runs here then I will establish myself. I was consumed by all that crap and that led to my downward spiral," Kohli confessed.

Kohli also tried to explain why Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) have failed to win an Indian Premier League (IPL) title despite having some of the biggest players in their roster over the years.

"With big players, we will always be in the focus. We have reached 3 finals, not won, but then, those things are irrelevant, until you win the title. Even with the best team, we have not won. There is a team goal, we deserve to win the title," Kohli said.

Kohli and Pietersen were teammates during at RCB during the 2009 and 2010 seasons, and they relived the camaraderie at the camp.

"You were always sitting next to the experienced players, always the inquisitive kinds," the former England captain said.

In reply, Kohli said "it was a great opportunity" for him "to learn from the big players."

"You [Pietersen] came in at the prime of your career. There were Kallis, Dravid and so many others. I wanted to learn and be the best of myself. If someone told me 12 years later these will be your number I would have told him to get lost," Kohli added.

The start of the 2020 edition of IPL has been postponed till April 15 in the wake of coronavirus pandemic.

In reply, Kohli said that India's "response has been good. Apart from a few people, you must have seen the video, who do not respect the guidelines. I don’t know how it can happen. I hope people get sense into them and follow the guidelines. There needs to be unity in dealing with this issue."

The duo started with the all-important coronavirus pandemic, with KP slamming the UK governments for a lackadaisical approach to the crisis.

But Kohli hailed the Indian government's effort.

"Our response has been good, apart from a few people, who do not respect the guidelines. I don’t know how it can happen. I hope people get sense into them and follow the guidelines. There needs to be unity in dealing with this issue."

Pietersen had previously hosted India's limited-overs vice captain Rohit Sharma at a time all are indoors due to the 21-day lockdown in the country to battle coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...ve-chat/349958

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"It turned out to be a gamechanger for my career" : Virat Kohli on 183 at Dhaka vs Pakistan in 2012

Virat Kohli speakingw with Ravi Ashwin on insta chat:

"I fondly remember that game. It was a Sunday. The whole country watches an India and Pakistan game, so if you perform then suddenly everyone takes notice. It turned out to be a game changer for my career"

"It was a really tough chase and Rohit [Sharma] played a brilliant innings. I think he got 60 odd. In the end, MS [Dhoni] and [Suresh] Raina finished the game with three overs to spare. It was quite memorable for me. I was happy just playing alongside Tendulkar, as it turned out to be his last innings"

"Pakistan had a very challenging bowling attack. They had Umar Gul, Aizaz Cheema, Wahab Riaz, Shahid Afridi. Then Saeed Ajmal was at his peak and Hafeez used to bowl as well"

"We played Pakistan in the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka before Asia Cup. There was a warm-up game in the tournament against Pakistan where I decided that I am going to start playing Saeed Ajmal as a leg-spinner. His doosra was quite difficult to face and his off-spin wasn’t that lethal. So I decided I am going to hit him over covers consistently and it just paid off. As soon as I negated his doosra, then the potency of his threat became less. Even during the Asia Cup game, I scored most of my runs against him during the off-side. My only aim was to unsettle his doosra."

"It was very funny and MS wasn’t too happy about it because they got 330 and they had a big partnership early on and then we messed up. It was supposed to be one and we gave away three runs"

"I remember Umar Akmal was the batsman who played the shot and I was at deep mid-wicket and Rohit was at deep square leg. I came in and Rohit was going for the ball and my right side of the head hit his shoulder"

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...er-virat-kohli
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 31st May 2020 at 15:46.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing innings. Best I have seen by an Indian batsman against Pakistan in ODI

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It was a top innings but Kohli has played much better knocks and it wasn’t even the best knock by an Indian against Pakistan.

The bowling attack was very average and the pitch very flat. Ajmal was at the peak of his chucking but he was never good enough against Kohli.

Nevertheless, that match was a classic passing of the torch moment. It was Tendulkar’s final ODI, he had a 133 run stand with Kohli who registered the highest ODI score of his career to date.

That match cemented Kohli’s status as the heir to Tendulkar’s throne.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It was a top innings but Kohli has played much better knocks and it wasn’t even the best knock by an Indian against Pakistan.

The bowling attack was very average and the pitch very flat. Ajmal was at the peak of his chucking but he was never good enough against Kohli.

Nevertheless, that match was a classic passing of the torch moment. It was Tendulkar’s final ODI, he had a 133 run stand with Kohli who registered the highest ODI score of his career to date.

That match cemented Kohli’s status as the heir to Tendulkar’s throne.
    Virat Kohli scored 100 during last match of

Sachin (ODI)
    Dravid (ODI)
    Dhoni (Test)
    Laxman (Test)
    Rayudu (ODI)
    Zaheer Khan (Test)
    Munaf Patel (ODI)
    Praveen Kumar (ODI)
    Yusuf Pathan (ODI)

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4704 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    The most over rated cricketer of the 21st century, India seems to produce them at the drop of a hat. To play cricket you need the right genetics, Kohli unfortunately just was in the wrong place at the wrong time; only way to make sense of these interviews and poor performances. He is lucky flat pitches and poor bowling attacks have inflated his stats, but when the pressure is really on he shows his true colours
    Last edited by MenInG; 31st May 2020 at 08:24.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Steve Smith would hopefully put up with staying forever in Virat's rear view mirror.
    Reading through this post and how the times have changed. Smith did what Kohli could not do

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    On the topic, he has secured himself as a top 4 AT ODI batsman and a top 20-25 test batsmen; i.e. an ATG bat

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great batsmen but not among the greatest yet.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    NEW DELHI (Reuters) - India captain Virat Kohli believes he landed the job largely because his predecessor Mahendra Singh Dhoni was impressed with his reading of situations in matches.

Kohli, 31, replaced Dhoni as test captain in 2014-15 and took over the limited-overs reins in early 2017, becoming India’s all-format leader as well the team’s batting mainstay.

Fielding in the slips, Kohli had easy access to wicketkeeper Dhoni and he felt their chats in between deliveries earned him the trust of the former skipper.

“You start talking to the captain regularly,” Kohli told team mate Ravichandran Ashwin in a chat on YouTube.

“I was always in MS’s ear, standing next to him and saying ‘We can do this, we can do that, what do you think?’.

“He would deny a lot of things but he would discuss a lot of things as well. I think he got a lot of confidence that I can do this after him.

“A large portion of me becoming captain was to do with him observing me for a long period of time. It just can’t happen that he goes and the selectors say, ‘Okay you become captain’.”

Leading the national team of a cricket-mad country is one of the toughest jobs in the game but Kohli is enjoying the responsibility.

“I looked at it this way — if I’m getting this opportunity, I need to work as hard as I can, because not many people get this chance,” said Kohli, who led India to Under-19 World Cup title in 2008.

Kohli led India to the top of the world test rankings in October 2016 where they remained until Australia replaced them this month. India lost in the semi-finals of last year’s one-day World Cup in England.

“I was always inclined to taking responsibility (but) becoming captain of India was not even in my wildest dreams to be honest,” Kohli said.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli can cement his legacy if he wins an ICC trophy as a captain.

He is an ODI ATG for sure.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    The most over rated cricketer of the 21st century, India seems to produce them at the drop of a hat. To play cricket you need the right genetics, Kohli unfortunately just was in the wrong place at the wrong time; only way to make sense of these interviews and poor performances. He is lucky flat pitches and poor bowling attacks have inflated his stats, but when the pressure is really on he shows his true colours
    lol kohli would still be above any Pakistani great or English great.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If a player with 70 centuries is ovverated and not an ATG, I seriously doubt the cricketing intelligence of those people.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    If a player with 70 centuries is ovverated and not an ATG, I seriously doubt the cricketing intelligence of those people.
    He is ATG even thou I dont like him

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    Better than miadad inzamam yousuf in tests ?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    lol why is there a discussion

there is NO doubt he is an ATG

only discussion is where does he rank in that list.

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1350 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Better than miadad inzamam yousuf in tests ?
    definitely about yousuf.

#MPGA

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    definitely about yousuf.
    Definitely about what ?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    lol why is there a discussion

there is NO doubt he is an ATG

only discussion is where does he rank in that list.
    In odis in top 5 in tests top 20 or maybe 15

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    In odis in top 5 in tests top 20 or maybe 15
    Top 10 odi.

Definitely not better than Viv, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Gilchrist. Other names too.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Top 10 odi.

Definitely not better than Viv, Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Gilchrist. Other names too.
    Viv,tendulkar,pointing,kohli

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron_woodley View Post
    Hammond and hobbs

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Top 10 odi.

Lara and Gilly were better test players, Kohli definitely above them in ODI's. SRT and Viv are the only 2 who are definitely ahead of him.

Arguments can be made either way for Ponting and AB deVilliers. Will wait for Kohli to end his career before reaching actual judgement whether he surpassed ABD and Ponting or not. Going the way he is going, he should surpass them easily.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  cd1c2026-8e68-4e82-9d70-a47ae85a0f28 (1).jpg
Views: 78
Size:  49.6 KB

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scary that India captain Virat Kohli is getting ‘better and better’ - Steve Smith

Kohli has established himself as the best all-round batsman of his generation over the past decade, scoring 21,901 and 70 centuries in 416 matches for India.

Smith has locked horns with Kohli a number of times but says these clashes have not effected his respect and admiration for a player who continues to raise the bar.

‘I’ve known Virat for a long time,’ Smith told the Star Sports Cricket Connected podcast.

‘He went up to the academy in Brisbane in about 2007, I wasn’t part of the intake then but I spent a bit of time there bowling.

‘We had some nice chats off the field. We had some run-ins in the early days on the field. But those things happen when you’re playing for your team and emotions are running high.

‘He’s a terrific guy and has done terrific things with India and as an ambassador for the game. He’s getting better and better which is the scary thing.’

Smith also praised Kohli for urging India supporters to stop booing him during the 2019 World Cup. The Australia batsman was targeted by fans during a number of matches due to the part he played in the ball-tampering scandal.

‘I’ve had a few conversations with Virat, a few messages here and there,’ Smith added. ‘He’s a terrific guy.

‘We both play hard out on the field and play as well as we can for our team. It’s part of the game.

‘During the World Cup, Virat obviously gestured towards the Indian fans that were giving me a bit of stick. I appreciated that and told him that at the time.

‘He’s a terrific guy and the way he’s led the Indian team has been amazing.

‘India are an amazing team and I cant wait to play them later in the year. It will be incredibly special.’

Kohli’s India are due to travel to Australia at the end of 2020 for a much-anticipated Test series, although the coronavirus pandemic continues to wreck the sporting calendar.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/21/crick...ohli-12882045/

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli is good from current standards. But historically, he is the 9th greatest batsmen that India have produced in the history of the game.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the age of 31 not sure how much improvement is left in him. Normally players start declining at this age and we have seen a glimse of it during NZ tour. So all these praise is fine but we need to be bit realistic.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Kohli is good from current standards. But historically, he is the 9th greatest batsmen that India have produced in the history of the game.
    Kohli is 9th best Indian batsmen of all time? You kidding right?

If he retires right now, he will go down as 2nd greatest Indian batsman ever after Sachin. And if he plays for another 6-7 years, he would surpass the great man himself.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli has set fitness bar for players worldwide, says Waqar Younis

New Delhi [India], July 6 (ANI): Former Pakistan pacer Waqar Younis on Monday praised Indian skipper Virat Kohli, saying he has set the fitness bar for the players worldwide.

Kohli is regarded as one of the fittest cricketers of his generation. He follows a strict diet and is very consistent with his workout. Even in the coronavirus enforced lockdown, he followed his fitness regime and shared workout videos on social media platforms.
    Besides his fitness, the player fits in each format of the game and has evolved his skills since introduction to the international circuit.

"Virat Kohli has evolved the game and all the formats of the modern-day cricket including T20 cricket, one day suits him a lot and he is brilliant at test matches. But the biggest difference he brought to cricket that is followed and watched worldwide is his fitness. He has set a bar of fitness worldwide for players," Younis said responding to a fan's question on 'Q20'.

"I think it is hard to beat. I think for that reason also, you like everything about Virat Kohli. He is fit, he is always in your face, he wants to prove you that he is the best, he is a fighter, so that is why, we all like him," he added.

Younis further praised India's performance against Pakistan in the World Cup games and ODI cricket.

"Over the last few World Cups, Pakistan have not won against India. We did well in other formats, we did well in Test matches, but when it comes to World Cups and ODI Cricket, India has always had an upper hand on us. And they deserve it. I think they played better cricket than us," he commented while answering to another fan question.

Younis further recalled World Cup matches in which he played against India and Pakistan failed to overpower the Men in Blue. The arch-rival Pakistan has never won against India in their seven meetings in the ICC ODI World Cup so far.

"I remember in Bangalore and back in I think that was in Pretoria in 2003. I remember most of them and I think I have played a couple of them. So they were a very good side and I think on that particular day they just came out with a very positive frame of mind, they played better cricket and played smartly. We did not play smartly; we had games in our hands," the veteran of 262 ODIs and 87 Tests said.

Younis bagged 789 wickets in his 15-year-long illustrious career and is the eighth highest wicket-taker in the international cricket.

"If you look at the World Cup in 2011 and then of course back in '96 also we had the game in our hand, but it is just, we... we just threw it away. It is hard to pinpoint why we do that, maybe, it's just the pressure of the World Cup now because it happens so many times, it is just the psychological pressure on us that we just cannot really win against them but yeah, it's very very difficult to pinpoint on one thing," Waqar concluded. (ANI)

https://www.aninews.in/news/sports/c...0200706142737/