Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Time to start a petition - Wins away should have a bigger impact on rankings than home wins

    A practical rating system should factor in the important complexities based upon historical data.
    ICC test ranking system needs to be overhauled as it works under an assumption that's just not right. It assumes that over 3 years, teams would be playing equal number of away and home matches, which I don't think is true. We all understand that winning at home for any team is significantly easier than winning abroad, so it defies all logic that a team winning a test at home gets the same point as winning a test abroad.

    There are other complications as well, such as all matches are treated equally, I think dead rubbers should have less weightage but these are minor points which can be still be absorbed.

    May be the important people at PP could start a petition to ICC detailing out the faltered mechanism with enough data?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And this is true even for players rating system. The assumption of any player will play equal number of matches home or abroad is anyway illogical as a batsman could score tons of runs at home and then might get dropped after a couple of matches abroad and hence the logic of playing equal matches home and away will fall flat. Ravindra Jadeja takes bucketful of wickets in India, get his ranking up and then is not even selected for away matches but his points don't get affected but the underlying assumption of him playing equal matches is simply not true.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,939
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure rankings factor in away results now as well as beating higher ranked teams? @Abdullah719


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  4. #4
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    26,140
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Pretty sure rankings factor in away results now as well as beating higher ranked teams? @Abdullah719
    No to the former, yes to the latter.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  5. #5
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    22,955
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All of Pakistans games in the UAE should be classed as away matches. Until cricket is revived in Pakistan. That will make them tour us lol..

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    12,825
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Winning away tests should get you more point s and ,conversely, losing home tests should lose you more points as well.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    All of Pakistans games in the UAE should be classed as away matches. Until cricket is revived in Pakistan. That will make them tour us lol..
    They are classified as away matches only..there was a detailed interview of David Kendix in guardian when Pakistan became number 1, he explained it there.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroon786 View Post
    Pretty sure rankings factor in away results now as well as beating higher ranked teams? @Abdullah719
    Absolutely sure, rankings don't treat away and home matches differently. Rankings cover 3-4 years period with more weightage to recent matches, and the logic assumed is that over 3-4 years teams would have played equal number of away and home matches.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,409
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Absolutely sure, rankings don't treat away and home matches differently. Rankings cover 3-4 years period with more weightage to recent matches, and the logic assumed is that over 3-4 years teams would have played equal number of away and home matches.
    Actually, ICC rankings factor in the last 48 months, with matches played in the most recent 24 months getting twice the weightage of matches played in the preceding 24 months.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,409
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Absolutely sure, rankings don't treat away and home matches differently. Rankings cover 3-4 years period with more weightage to recent matches, and the logic assumed is that over 3-4 years teams would have played equal number of away and home matches.
    Also, the assumption of ICC is not that all teams will play the same number of home and away games in a period.

    The assumption is that the ratio of home and away games would be similar for most teams in a 4 year cycle.

    And that is usually what happens. I'll list the ratio of home/away matches for teams in the last 4 years.

    England - 1.33
    India - 0.91
    SA - 1.22
    Aus - 0.95
    SL - 0.95


    As you can see, the ratio is pretty even across the board.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,409
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    A practical rating system should factor in the important complexities based upon historical data.
    ICC test ranking system needs to be overhauled as it works under an assumption that's just not right. It assumes that over 3 years, teams would be playing equal number of away and home matches, which I don't think is true. We all understand that winning at home for any team is significantly easier than winning abroad, so it defies all logic that a team winning a test at home gets the same point as winning a test abroad.

    There are other complications as well, such as all matches are treated equally, I think dead rubbers should have less weightage but these are minor points which can be still be absorbed.

    May be the important people at PP could start a petition to ICC detailing out the faltered mechanism with enough data?
    The current ranking system is fine.

    A case may be made about giving away wins/draws more weightage but that is not necessary at all.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    22,955
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should be given special dispensation. We should get bonus points for every match won away while the unofficial boycott of Pakistan is in place.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,961
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ICC should make a rule that India will never be ranked in top 3. Will make the ranking system perfect

  14. #14
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    435
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if home teams win toss and then win the match ..that should get the home team less numbers.

    I reckon India will still be number 1 since no team dominates away your these days and India is a beast at home.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    15,939
    Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    No to the former, yes to the latter.
    I'll take your word for it.


    Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,409
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    Pakistan should be given special dispensation. We should get bonus points for every match won away while the unofficial boycott of Pakistan is in place.
    It might be better use of your time to think about why the world is avoiding Pakistan than to think about cricket rankings.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    22,955
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    They are classified as away matches only..there was a detailed interview of David Kendix in guardian when Pakistan became number 1, he explained it there.
    if they are classified as away matches already then Pakistan are the best team in the world at the moment who are regularly winning away from home, unlike other teams who can only win at home..

  18. #18
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    22,955
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    It might be better use of your time to think about why the world is avoiding Pakistan than to think about cricket rankings.
    it might be better if you spent your time wondering why certain countries are hell bent on destroying another countries culture by sponsoring murderers who shoot up schools..

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    69,640
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Add your thoughts guys and I will send them on to the ICC.

    For the record I've always said that away wins in any format should carry extra weighting when it comes to rankings.



  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i can understand is giving more points for away win but cant understand why people wont consider lose at home a big deal ?

    Since from what i see people think winning at home is so easy ,if its so then team should get highest number of deduction points in ranking if they lose at home , you are not scolded for not being able to finish hard task but for easy task
    From what i think this is how it shud be

    Loosing at home(decrease in ranking)>>Winning away(increase in ranking)>Winning home>losing away
    Ofc there must be effect in numbers for to what ranking team u win or lose

    But isnt this how it shud be? What u guys think?

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    1,545
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    if they are classified as away matches already then Pakistan are the best team in the world at the moment who are regularly winning away from home, unlike other teams who can only win at home..
    No home matches then for Pakistan so no points since UAE will be considered away matches right

  22. #22
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    19,233
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is this because India lost in England and is still ranked number 1

  23. #23
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    22,093
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Winning away from home should get extra points in the ICC ranking. Modern day it is very difficult, so why not reward a team and give them some motivation?

  24. #24
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    19,424
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    Is this because India lost in England and is still ranked number 1
    Off course!!


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    19,424
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Winning away from home should get extra points in the ICC ranking. Modern day it is very difficult, so why not reward a team and give them some motivation?
    Flip side will be not able to win at home should be penalized equally. Not winning at home should lose more points.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never in my life I have seen such a hue and cry over rankings.

    The rankings were fine for the first few months Misbah got the mace, and when Pakistan started losing in the rankings and our neighbors started climbing, the rankings refused to make sense.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Never in my life I have seen such a hue and cry over rankings.

    The rankings were fine for the first few months Misbah got the mace, and when Pakistan started losing in the rankings and our neighbors started climbing, the rankings refused to make sense.
    Dude I started this thread and I am an Indian. I genuinely feel that rankings should reflect the tough accomplishments. Today in test cricket, ratio of home victories over away victories is at all time high, and rankings should admit that.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Dude I started this thread and I am an Indian. I genuinely feel that rankings should reflect the tough accomplishments. Today in test cricket, ratio of home victories over away victories is at all time high, and rankings should admit that.
    I don't care if you are Ecuadorian.

    The rankings were fine as long as Pakistan stayed at the top.

    Now a thread a day is being created because India lost while being on top of the rankings.

    Need I remind that England lost 3-0 in UAE while being the top ranked team (if I remember correctly), AND NO ONE said they shouldn't be number 1.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    620
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only subcontinental fans would devalue home performances. Borne out of some niggling complex, no doubt.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    820
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am fine with away wins get more points but home loses should lose more points as well. And if we adopt this approach, India will still remain no.1

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    4,597
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Flip side will be not able to win at home should be penalized equally. Not winning at home should lose more points.
    Yes sure do it. But even if you don't the effect will be the same really as the team that won away from home got more points and will be making greater strides in the rankings. Team which lose at home will get penalised automatically by getting ranked lower.

    Take a simple scenario. NZ vs SA in SA. SA have 101 points and NZ have 90 points. SA are ranked 2 and NZ are ranked 4. NZ wins a match and gets 5 points. Due to away win they get 2 bonus points. NZ now have 97 points. SA gets penalised by 4 points without any bonus deductions for losing at home. They will end up losing their 2nd rank.

    Above is not an accurate portrayal but the point is that all teams will get penalised more for losses at home even if you deduct the same number of points as now.

    India's away wins in SA and Eng will be worth more points as before and India in the current scenario will have even more points than they have at the moment.

  32. #32
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    4,597
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I don't care if you are Ecuadorian.

    The rankings were fine as long as Pakistan stayed at the top.

    Now a thread a day is being created because India lost while being on top of the rankings.

    Need I remind that England lost 3-0 in UAE while being the top ranked team (if I remember correctly), AND NO ONE said they shouldn't be number 1.
    Well I for one have been saying this for quite some time.

    Also this scenario will benefit India at the moment as their two wins away(1 in SA and 1 in Eng) will be worth more points.

    And if I remember correctly people did say England shouldn't be number 1 because according to them a team that abysmal in Asian conditions doesn't deserve to be number 1.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    14,689
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    Well I for one have been saying this for quite some time.

    Also this scenario will benefit India at the moment as their two wins away(1 in SA and 1 in Eng) will be worth more points.

    And if I remember correctly people did say England shouldn't be number 1 because according to them a team that abysmal in Asian conditions doesn't deserve to be number 1.
    Maybe so.

    But if I remember correctly, there was more focus on Pakistan beating the number 1 ranked team and proving they are amazing as they beat the number 1 team.


    And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    I don't care if you are Ecuadorian.

    The rankings were fine as long as Pakistan stayed at the top.

    Now a thread a day is being created because India lost while being on top of the rankings.

    Need I remind that England lost 3-0 in UAE while being the top ranked team (if I remember correctly), AND NO ONE said they shouldn't be number 1.
    I think overall cricket will be much better in general, if there's a strong incentive for teams to try to win matches abroad..forget what's happened in the past and I am not even disputing no:1 ranking of India, I think cricket will be a lot more fun if teams try everything to win abroad.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,409
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Also, the assumption of ICC is not that all teams will play the same number of home and away games in a period.

    The assumption is that the ratio of home and away games would be similar for most teams in a 4 year cycle.

    And that is usually what happens. I'll list the ratio of home/away matches for teams in the last 4 years.

    England - 1.33
    India - 0.91
    SA - 1.22
    Aus - 0.95
    SL - 0.95


    As you can see, the ratio is pretty even across the board.
    Your entire premise for this thread is wrong, @happydavy.

    As you can see, home and away games pretty much cancel each other out, over time.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the system.

  36. #36
    Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    4,597
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    Maybe so.

    But if I remember correctly, there was more focus on Pakistan beating the number 1 ranked team and proving they are amazing as they beat the number 1 team.
    Pakistanis were biased in favour of Pakistan. How utterly shocking!

    Most neutral analysts ripped into England. Also Pakistan was in literal shambles at the time, Pakistan winning from that position was amazing giving the circumstances.

    But that is besides the point. If India or Pakistan manage to beat Australia in a test in Australia it will be a regarded as an achievement by fans and analysts and the rankings should reflect that. Just as the rankings should reflect the fact that India managed to beat SA in SA and Pakistan has drawn 2 series in England.

    India is the toughest team to beat in home conditions. Their record at home is nothing short of extraordinary. If a visiting team manages to beat them at their home they deserve extra points because they have achieved the most difficult feat in test cricket at the moment.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •