Instagram


Pakistan World Cup 2019 Shirts

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 230
  1. #1
    Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    3,203
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    "I want to be recognised and accepted as Imam-ul-Haq first and then Inzamam's nephew after that"

    Imam-ul-Haq speaking to the media :

    "It would be great if we can also win the Asia Cup but it wont be about winning it for the PM Imran Khan but it will allow our nation which loves cricket to celebrate"

    "We are looking at each match and opponent and preparing for that game and not only worrying about India"

    "All matches are same for me whether its Hong Kong or India; my pressure levels will be the same in all games"

    "India is a very good team but the absence of Virat Kohli will make a difference"

    "We just want to play aggressive cricket which is how we have been taught and the performances since Champions Trophy are examples of that"

    "There is no psychological advantage from any past games when it comes to India Pakistan games"

    "You have to really control your nerves in India Pakistan games as things can easily go against you in such matches"

    "We haven't discussed anything about whether we will bowl or bat first as that is decided by coach and captain"

    "You can say that we have an advantage in UAE as we have been playing here for a long time but the wickets here are similar to what you find in India and Bangladesh"

    "All teams such as Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan have good youngsters and there can be upsets in this tournament"

    "The Asia Cup is not only about India and Pakistan as other teams can also make a difference and this is good preparation for the 2019 World Cup"

    "No advice from my uncle as he doesn't talk that much about cricket especially when it comes to me"

    "I like to thank the management in the way they have treated me so well "

    "My uncle just tells me to enjoy myself in cricket"

    "We haven't seen the wicket yet but we will see it before the game"

    "Let me be clear about this, I want to be recognised and accepted as Imam-ul-Haq first and then Inzamam's nephew after that, and yes he is my uncle and it's not my fault"

    "There is a lot of pressure on me especially from Pakistan media and sometimes I have to tolerate them too"

    "I have 4 hundreds in 9 ODIs and credit goes to my family for their support, to the management as they have also supported me, so what the media says has never mattered to me"
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th September 2018 at 19:48.



  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Imam done well so far in ODIs but same cannot be said for some journos who were asking inane questions.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    38,694
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Imam done well so far in ODIs but same cannot be said for some journos who were asking inane questions.
    I can't even imagine what kind of garbage question it would have been that needed this response

    "It would be great if we can also win the Asia Cup but it wont be about winning it for the PM Imran Khan but it will allow our nation which loves cricket to celebrate"



    So journo sahab probably said would you win Asia Cup for PM IK, mashallah at our journalistic standards
    Last edited by Syed1; 13th September 2018 at 19:55.


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    23,639
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    an Indian journo asked if he slept as much as Inzi slept (because you know lately they think taking the mickey out of our past legends is a done thing, while ignoring their shooperishtaars getting a phainty from kiddies like Curran) and his answer was why do you want to sleep with him?

    I mean stupid idiotic questions!!

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    21,046
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope he improves, but despite his brillant start there will be a brutal reality check coming his way in odis if he doesnt change. You cant be waddling around at a strike rate of 70 for the majority of your innings


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,125
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the reality is that he was first selected in the team because he is nephew of Inzimam.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    the reality is that he was first selected in the team because he is nephew of Inzimam.
    That is not the reality - that is your perception.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  9. #9
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    2,828
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

    Hahaha destroyed. Such rubbish journalists deserve such answers. More of this please.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He may have been selected on nepotistic grounds, but so far, he has performed better than a meritorious player (in his stead) would have.

    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.

    I don't know if Imam will get a reality check in the future or not, but so far he has not put a foot wrong. He has made a brilliant start to his international career and Inzamam has been justified in giving him an opportunity.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    743
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignoring our genius journalists, let's just hope that Imam continues to score heavy and that too against better opposition. First challenge: India.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    319
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.
    Everything that is wrong with Pakistan in one single quote. Great work!


    Greatness is a choice. Mediocrity is a disease.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    38,694
    Mentioned
    1792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Today I learned something new "merit means nothing when you are not good enough"


    But then I searched the meaning of merit and this came up:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3026
Size:  65.2 KB





    Don't know whether to believe PP description of merit or actual description.


    #Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    1,131
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He may have been selected on nepotistic grounds, but so far, he has performed better than a meritorious player (in his stead) would have.

    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.

    I don't know if Imam will get a reality check in the future or not, but so far he has not put a foot wrong. He has made a brilliant start to his international career and Inzamam has been justified in giving him an opportunity.
    A reality check is coming soon scoring 3 hundreds against Zimbabwe will give him another 10-15 matches but he took his chance in the last series well no doubt about it.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    561
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Today I learned something new "merit means nothing when you are not good enough"


    But then I searched the meaning of merit and this came up:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3026
Size:  65.2 KB





    Don't know whether to believe PP description of merit or actual description.
    Like Asad Shafiq in ODI's, for example? That was a meritorious selection, wasn't it? You know what Mamoon meant here but just couldn't help it.
    Last edited by Third Man; 13th September 2018 at 22:42.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Today I learned something new "merit means nothing when you are not good enough"


    But then I searched the meaning of merit and this came up:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3026
Size:  65.2 KB





    Don't know whether to believe PP description of merit or actual description.
    That is academic. In the context of cricket, what is merit?

    You don't know if a player is good enough or not unless you give him a chance. A meritorious selection would be a player with the best domestic statistics. However, as we have seen before, that does not always translate into success at the international level.

    It is about picking the right player, and that is why you have selectors. If players are to be picked based on domestic averages alone, you do not need to play millions to selectors - a mere computer software can also do that job by sorting averages.

    If Inzamam believes that Imam has what it takes to do well in international cricket, there is nothing in wrong in giving him a chance.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he can play faster and be consistent at the same time then why not.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adil_909 View Post
    Everything that is wrong with Pakistan in one single quote. Great work!
    The biggest problem is the wrong person getting the job, and that happens both in nepotism and merit. Yes the chances of that happening are higher in nepotism, but if you are picking candidates (or players in this context) purely on merit, plenty of bad eggs will also come through due to a rotten system.

    The only thing that matters is whether you are doing a good job or not, not if you have been selected on merit or nepotism.

    Plenty of merit selections have turned out to be disasters for Pakistan, and nepotism has actually worked for Pakistan cricket in the past.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,768
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The biggest problem is the wrong person getting the job, and that happens both in nepotism and merit. Yes the chances of that happening are higher in nepotism, but if you are picking candidates (or players in this context) purely on merit, plenty of bad eggs will also come through due to a rotten system.

    The only thing that matters is whether you are doing a good job or not, not if you have been selected on merit or nepotism.

    Plenty of merit selections have turned out to be disasters for Pakistan, and nepotism has actually worked for Pakistan cricket in the past.
    Results are temporary but the system is permanently bound.

    Therefore, merit must override nepotism to ensure a system has less discrepancies than otherwise.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    7,733
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will see your recognition as imam after you face india and aus in odi.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,424
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    That is not the reality - that is your perception.
    it is the reality.

    Fact is, had he not been Inzi's nephew he wouldn't had been selected this quickly.

    Guys like Azhar ALi has done nothing wrong to be dropped, and Imam was quite down on the pecking order.

    Whether people like to hear this or not, there was the Inzi influence. Same goes for Shan Masoods intial selection.

    Being selected on influence or sifarish isn't a bad thing is my view. It happens everywhere, but the thing is if one keeps on getting selected on poor performances, then its a concern


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,768
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    it is the reality.

    Fact is, had he not been Inzi's nephew he wouldn't had been selected this quickly.

    Guys like Azhar ALi has done nothing wrong to be dropped, and Imam was quite down on the pecking order.

    Whether people like to hear this or not, there was the Inzi influence. Same goes for Shan Masoods intial selection.

    Being selected on influence or sifarish isn't a bad thing is my view. It happens everywhere, but the thing is if one keeps on getting selected on poor performances, then its a concern
    Azhar Ali bombed in NZ and hadn't scored a century in ODI's since October 2016.

    Imam debuted after Ahmed Shehzad had a horrid time against SL and scored a hundred on debut followed by three more hundreds in just nine matches.

    Shan Masood just had the most prolific season in List A history.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    11,424
    Mentioned
    597 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adil_909 View Post
    Everything that is wrong with Pakistan in one single quote. Great work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He may have been selected on nepotistic grounds, but so far, he has performed better than a meritorious player (in his stead) would have.

    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.

    I don't know if Imam will get a reality check in the future or not, but so far he has not put a foot wrong. He has made a brilliant start to his international career and Inzamam has been justified in giving him an opportunity.
    Mamoon isn't wrong.

    In Organization theories, networking has become part of ones potential growth.

    Thing is, people complaining about nepotism or sifarish culture on the internet are following the traditional methods.

    AS for modern methods, networking is part of our life.

    To get better deals and all, you need to to have good networking, and this is very hard to accept for some of us. Hardwork doesn't always pay off. You need to have a good contacts to get promotions, even in sports

    Yes, Imam had Inzi, but other players need to socialize with the right people to get selection

    If you guys analyze our cricket properly, every player has reached to Pakistan level due to some level of networking or reference.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  24. #24
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    25,093
    Mentioned
    1923 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The biggest problem is the wrong person getting the job, and that happens both in nepotism and merit. Yes the chances of that happening are higher in nepotism, but if you are picking candidates (or players in this context) purely on merit, plenty of bad eggs will also come through due to a rotten system.

    The only thing that matters is whether you are doing a good job or not, not if you have been selected on merit or nepotism.

    Plenty of merit selections have turned out to be disasters for Pakistan, and nepotism has actually worked for Pakistan cricket in the past.
    It's a bit self contradictory - if a person qualifies on merit or is selected on merit, then the question of nepotism is redundant. Nepotism is only applicable, when someone is facilitated somehow, for which he isn't qualified enough or there are better options available. In that regard, you can't say that nepotism has worked, because at first place the guy should have been selected on his merit it self. You can say that, sometimes better candidates had to back on relationship for their chances - but that's system failure, not that nepotism worked.

    In Imam's case, good luck to the boy, and he has put numbers against SRL & ZIM. BUT, his selection is biased, tactfully done to create a vacuum and this will cost PAK one day, because this was nepotism.

    First, above 3/4 candidates, no way this kid should have got the chance in squad - they picked him as opener and made sure that he gets games. To his credit, he has cashed on, so fair enough, but as I say, PAK will face nemesis for this one.

    I give straight names for this - no way, Imam should have been picked ahead of Saud, who is senior by one U19 WC, better performer in every aspect, was invested through A team (& did well there), and he can bowl a bit as well. And, if I consider how both looks as a batsman while batting beyond stats - absolutely no comparison. If you look at their over all domestic stats,

    Saud - FC (25 games): avg/sr 47/49, 100-6, 50-12; 12 wickets at 48. List A (44): a/s 50/85, 100-2, 50-12; 20 wickets @ 42

    Imam (including Internationals) - FC (39 games): avg/sr 36/44, 4/12, 1 wicket. List A (37): a/s 40/78, 5/6; 1 wicket.

    These figures are misleading, because Imam's stats are inclusive of Internationals and he was lucky to face Post Mughabe ZIM. This is his International stats,
    Test (3): 34/51, 0/1, 0 wickets. ODI (9), 68/88, 4/0, zero wicket.

    SO<> if I take out internationals from Imam's stats - BASICALLY at the point when Ul Haq picked his nephew for the imaginary vacuum in opening spot from no where, this was his stats

    FC (36): 36/44; 4/11, 1 wicket. List A (28): 32/72, 1/6, zero wicket.


    I still give a bod to Ul Haq, imandar admi - we should look at the contemporary stats - lets take 2017-18 domestic season, which started before SRL series, FC completed before NZ tour and season completed well before UK/ZIM tour.

    Saud: FC: 7 games, 488 runs at 38/51, 1/4; 6 wickets @ 32. List A: 15 games, 722 runs @ 66 average, 1/5 and as usual PCB's data has SR for FC game but not for List A; 13 wickets @ 25

    Imam: FC - 5 games, 222 runs at 28, no wicket, 1/0. List A: 4 games, 40 runs at 10 average, 0/0 and didn't bowl.

    Nothing against the kid & I wish him success, but he is the best specimen of nepotism in PAK cricket.

    I am a fan of Ul Haq as a player, but ..... It's fortunate for PKC that, Arthur is there for some check & balance, otherwise this guy'll start searching in his neighbors & mohallam to find cricketers for PAK team.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    1,131
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Mamoon isn't wrong.

    In Organization theories, networking has become part of ones potential growth.

    Thing is, people complaining about nepotism or sifarish culture on the internet are following the traditional methods.

    AS for modern methods, networking is part of our life.

    To get better deals and all, you need to to have good networking, and this is very hard to accept for some of us. Hardwork doesn't always pay off. You need to have a good contacts to get promotions, even in sports

    Yes, Imam had Inzi, but other players need to socialize with the right people to get selection

    If you guys analyze our cricket properly, every player has reached to Pakistan level due to some level of networking or reference.
    Because Imam has done well against Zimbabwe it looks alright but that could be his career best and it's down hill from here.
    We have seen nepotism doesn't produce remarkable results with Imran Farhat Faisal Iqbal and Shan Masood recently in test cricket all examples of it players on merit would have done better.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,024
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post



    Now if only Imam would also destroy some Indians on the field.

    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Today I learned something new "merit means nothing when you are not good enough"


    But then I searched the meaning of merit and this came up:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3026
Size:  65.2 KB





    Don't know whether to believe PP description of merit or actual description.
    @Mamoon.exe is malfunctioning because he is programmed to viciously oppose Inzamam and previously, the "nepotistic" selection of Imam was one such tool to do so but now that Imam has proved that such allegations were baseless, he is forced into praising the practice of nepotism because he simply cannot admit that Inzi is not nepotistic at all.

    Hopefully, these bugs will be solved soon.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    It's a bit self contradictory - if a person qualifies on merit or is selected on merit, then the question of nepotism is redundant. Nepotism is only applicable, when someone is facilitated somehow, for which he isn't qualified enough or there are better options available. In that regard, you can't say that nepotism has worked, because at first place the guy should have been selected on his merit it self. You can say that, sometimes better candidates had to back on relationship for their chances - but that's system failure, not that nepotism worked.

    In Imam's case, good luck to the boy, and he has put numbers against SRL & ZIM. BUT, his selection is biased, tactfully done to create a vacuum and this will cost PAK one day, because this was nepotism.

    First, above 3/4 candidates, no way this kid should have got the chance in squad - they picked him as opener and made sure that he gets games. To his credit, he has cashed on, so fair enough, but as I say, PAK will face nemesis for this one.

    I give straight names for this - no way, Imam should have been picked ahead of Saud, who is senior by one U19 WC, better performer in every aspect, was invested through A team (& did well there), and he can bowl a bit as well. And, if I consider how both looks as a batsman while batting beyond stats - absolutely no comparison. If you look at their over all domestic stats,

    Saud - FC (25 games): avg/sr 47/49, 100-6, 50-12; 12 wickets at 48. List A (44): a/s 50/85, 100-2, 50-12; 20 wickets @ 42

    Imam (including Internationals) - FC (39 games): avg/sr 36/44, 4/12, 1 wicket. List A (37): a/s 40/78, 5/6; 1 wicket.

    These figures are misleading, because Imam's stats are inclusive of Internationals and he was lucky to face Post Mughabe ZIM. This is his International stats,
    Test (3): 34/51, 0/1, 0 wickets. ODI (9), 68/88, 4/0, zero wicket.

    SO<> if I take out internationals from Imam's stats - BASICALLY at the point when Ul Haq picked his nephew for the imaginary vacuum in opening spot from no where, this was his stats

    FC (36): 36/44; 4/11, 1 wicket. List A (28): 32/72, 1/6, zero wicket.


    I still give a bod to Ul Haq, imandar admi - we should look at the contemporary stats - lets take 2017-18 domestic season, which started before SRL series, FC completed before NZ tour and season completed well before UK/ZIM tour.

    Saud: FC: 7 games, 488 runs at 38/51, 1/4; 6 wickets @ 32. List A: 15 games, 722 runs @ 66 average, 1/5 and as usual PCB's data has SR for FC game but not for List A; 13 wickets @ 25

    Imam: FC - 5 games, 222 runs at 28, no wicket, 1/0. List A: 4 games, 40 runs at 10 average, 0/0 and didn't bowl.

    Nothing against the kid & I wish him success, but he is the best specimen of nepotism in PAK cricket.

    I am a fan of Ul Haq as a player, but ..... It's fortunate for PKC that, Arthur is there for some check & balance, otherwise this guy'll start searching in his neighbors & mohallam to find cricketers for PAK team.
    I have my issues with Inzamam and I have touched on them in great depth in much detail. However, the debate between nepotism and merit is a very complicated in cricketing terms. You never know how good a player actually is unless you try him out in internationals - domestic record is only a guide, and that is why not every successful domestic player has transferred his skills to international cricket.

    As a result, merit does not always work in cricket. At times, selectors have to show an eye for talent and if Imam goes onto have a great career, he won't be the first or the last player to fare better in internationals than domestic, and no one will be able to hold nepotism charges against him. If he fails, he will be held responsible for it, so in some ways, he has taken a bet which he is winning so far.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post


    Now if only Imam would also destroy some Indians on the field.



    @Mamoon.exe is malfunctioning because he is programmed to viciously oppose Inzamam and previously, the "nepotistic" selection of Imam was one such tool to do so but now that Imam has proved that such allegations were baseless, he is forced into praising the practice of nepotism because he simply cannot admit that Inzi is not nepotistic at all.

    Hopefully, these bugs will be solved soon.
    You have to call a spade a spade. You had declared Inzamam Pakistan's greatest selector before he had selected a single squad, and we all know why. Those "reasons" will prevent you from criticizing him even if he selects Imran Farhat.

    The criticism against certain actions of Inzamam both as a player and as a selector are justified. However, if Imam continues to do well, there is no point in holding nepotism charges against him.

    I am actually not against nepotism at all because you need connections in Pakistan regardless of your field. Even if you deserve something on merit, someone with more influence is going to sidestep you, so you need some connections and clout even if you are deserving candidate on merit.

    As I said earlier, nepotism has worked wonders for Pakistan cricket in the past. Someone like you, who considers Imran Khan the greatest cricketer of all time would probably know. Cricket was largely rich man's sport in Pakistan up till the 1970s, with a lot of players coming from affluent families of Lahore and Karachi.

    One such family was the Burki-Khan family who were among the most influential cricket families in Pakistan, and Majid Khan was already a fixture in the Pakistan team when his mediocre, scrawny 19 year old cousin made his debut for Pakistan and was so bad that he was shunned for a couple of years, but the rest is of course history.

    Imran Khan would probably have never made it to the top if it wasn't for his family, and people who suggest that every selection in Pakistan cricket should be done on 100% merit should realize that if that was the case since the beginning, players like Imran Khan might have never played for Pakistan.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    30,853
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He may have been selected on nepotistic grounds, but so far, he has performed better than a meritorious player (in his stead) would have.

    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.

    I don't know if Imam will get a reality check in the future or not, but so far he has not put a foot wrong. He has made a brilliant start to his international career and Inzamam has been justified in giving him an opportunity.
    Lol Merit means garbage will not get selected and that quality and performance will always be selected

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    30,853
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    it is the reality.

    Fact is, had he not been Inzi's nephew he wouldn't had been selected this quickly.

    Guys like Azhar ALi has done nothing wrong to be dropped, and Imam was quite down on the pecking order.

    Whether people like to hear this or not, there was the Inzi influence. Same goes for Shan Masoods intial selection.

    Being selected on influence or sifarish isn't a bad thing is my view. It happens everywhere, but the thing is if one keeps on getting selected on poor performances, then its a concern
    Azhar Ali did plenty wrong to be dropped from the ODI team, looking like a school boy in NZ against Bolt, Southee after having played for 8 years for Pakistan and being a senior batsman is a crime.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    8,236
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what Faisal Iqbal said years back. We know how that turned out.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    218
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He may have been selected on nepotistic grounds, but so far, he has performed better than a meritorious player (in his stead) would have.

    I fully support nepotism as long as the right person gets the job. Merit means nothing when you are not good enough. A lot of good players are lost in the system due to multiple reasons, and if they use their connections to get the opportunity that they deserve, there is nothing wrong with it.

    I don't know if Imam will get a reality check in the future or not, but so far he has not put a foot wrong. He has made a brilliant start to his international career and Inzamam has been justified in giving him an opportunity.
    You just killed logic

  33. #33
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    21,496
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If he wants to step out of inzi’s shadow he has to score against the big boys

  34. #34
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    834
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure after Asia cup .All the naysayers will admit imam is the best opener we have.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,024
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You have to call a spade a spade. You had declared Inzamam Pakistan's greatest selector before he had selected a single squad, and we all know why. Those "reasons" will prevent you from criticizing him even if he selects Imran Farhat.

    The criticism against certain actions of Inzamam both as a player and as a selector are justified. However, if Imam continues to do well, there is no point in holding nepotism charges against him.

    I am actually not against nepotism at all because you need connections in Pakistan regardless of your field. Even if you deserve something on merit, someone with more influence is going to sidestep you, so you need some connections and clout even if you are deserving candidate on merit.

    As I said earlier, nepotism has worked wonders for Pakistan cricket in the past. Someone like you, who considers Imran Khan the greatest cricketer of all time would probably know. Cricket was largely rich man's sport in Pakistan up till the 1970s, with a lot of players coming from affluent families of Lahore and Karachi.

    One such family was the Burki-Khan family who were among the most influential cricket families in Pakistan, and Majid Khan was already a fixture in the Pakistan team when his mediocre, scrawny 19 year old cousin made his debut for Pakistan and was so bad that he was shunned for a couple of years, but the rest is of course history.

    Imran Khan would probably have never made it to the top if it wasn't for his family, and people who suggest that every selection in Pakistan cricket should be done on 100% merit should realize that if that was the case since the beginning, players like Imran Khan might have never played for Pakistan.
    Firstly, I always knew Inzamam would help fix our cricket because I know the kind of man he is and there was ample evidence during his playing career (barring the first few years but we are all dumb when we're teens). He's not the kind of man to entertain corruption and he's never employed favouritism, despite popular belief. The fact that our team has slowly but surely rid itself of the Farhats proves my point much more emphatically than your hypothetical scenario proves yours. Inzamam is our greatest chief selector and you should be a man of honour and admit that you were wrong about him.

    Secondly, who says Imran Khan would not have been selected on merit? Sure, his debut might have been delayed by a few years but he would have surely played for Pakistan after he transformed in Imran Khan.

    Selection should generally be on the basis of merit. In some cases, selection can be based on potential, tactics or on the request of the captain and/or coach. However, selection should never be made on the basis of nepotism - if the player is any good, he'll back it up by doing well at the domestic level.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    26,236
    Mentioned
    402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not worried about him in tests but in ODIs he has a lot to prove. He's shown he can get big scores. Just worried about how he paces his innings and the rotation of strike against top teams. We will see how he does in these next few LO series.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,125
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    That is not the reality - that is your perception.
    thats the reality; he was first selected in the team (ODI) only because he is nephew of the great Inzamam.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    thats the reality; he was first selected in the team (ODI) only because he is nephew of the great Inzamam.
    And your proof is what?

    Imam continues to do well much to the discomfort of many


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    18,090
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like this guy but 65* so far off 164 balls on a track that is practically doing nothing, needs to improve that strike rate even if itís Test cricket

  40. #40
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    13,811
    Mentioned
    339 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I like this guy but 65* so far off 164 balls on a track that is practically doing nothing, needs to improve that strike rate even if it’s Test cricket
    Sami Aslam has the same problem and that didn’t turn out well. There are circumstances where a poor SR is appropriate but after a few innings a pattern will emerge and I hope for his sake,he doesn’t end up like Sami Aslam


  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    30,024
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Sami Aslam has the same problem and that didn’t turn out well. There are circumstances where a poor SR is appropriate but after a few innings a pattern will emerge and I hope for his sake,he doesn’t end up like Sami Aslam
    Sami should be brought back. Pakistan will become the #1 side in the world if they have two openers with averages of 50 and SRs of 30 in their team.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    11,624
    Mentioned
    342 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good player. And heís much superior to Sami Aslam, donít compare him to that guy

  43. #43
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    4,994
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Sami should be brought back. Pakistan will become the #1 side in the world if they have two openers with averages of 50 and SRs of 30 in their team.
    Good point. The value of openers scoring slowly but protecting later batsmen from the new ball is often not understood.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Los Angeles
    Runs
    543
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam ul Haq is perhaps the best batsman of Pakistan right now. His flaw is that he gets impatient sometimes and gets out to a big shot.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    1,206
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imam and sami aslam are equally good, just watch any u-19 game.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    6,240
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of those rare Pak batsmen who performs well in 2nd innings.

    Started to like him because of this rare quality for a Pak bat.


    Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

  47. #47
    Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    5,891
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    One of those rare Pak batsmen who performs well in 2nd innings.

    Started to like him because of this rare quality for a Pak bat.
    His spin play is good too (especially when he moves his foot).

  48. #48
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Excellent innings in 2nd semi in QEA Cup vs PTV


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  49. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    102,932
    Mentioned
    1852 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Really needs to do more to be recognised as a good choice and not a nephew


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,567
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thus far, I don't really see whether he's any better than Shan Masood. He's a walking wicket.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,255
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Knowing our selectors he will be dropped and replaced by shan masood. Pathetic selection imam and not based on merit.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    840
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You have to call a spade a spade. You had declared Inzamam Pakistan's greatest selector before he had selected a single squad, and we all know why. Those "reasons" will prevent you from criticizing him even if he selects Imran Farhat.

    The criticism against certain actions of Inzamam both as a player and as a selector are justified. However, if Imam continues to do well, there is no point in holding nepotism charges against him.

    I am actually not against nepotism at all because you need connections in Pakistan regardless of your field. Even if you deserve something on merit, someone with more influence is going to sidestep you, so you need some connections and clout even if you are deserving candidate on merit.

    As I said earlier, nepotism has worked wonders for Pakistan cricket in the past. Someone like you, who considers Imran Khan the greatest cricketer of all time would probably know. Cricket was largely rich man's sport in Pakistan up till the 1970s, with a lot of players coming from affluent families of Lahore and Karachi.

    One such family was the Burki-Khan family who were among the most influential cricket families in Pakistan, and Majid Khan was already a fixture in the Pakistan team when his mediocre, scrawny 19 year old cousin made his debut for Pakistan and was so bad that he was shunned for a couple of years, but the rest is of course history.

    Imran Khan would probably have never made it to the top if it wasn't for his family, and people who suggest that every selection in Pakistan cricket should be done on 100% merit should realize that if that was the case since the beginning, players like Imran Khan might have never played for Pakistan.
    First off, Imran Khan would have eventually made it to the side even if he wouldn't have gotten a debut at 19. County cricket was responsible for grooming him while Sarfaraz, Mushtaq and the 79' Australian tour all played major roles in making him realize his true potential and there's no reason to suggest that his selection even at 19 was made on the basis of nepotism. Secondly, since you're talking about the Burki family and Majid Khan you should also know that when Majid himself had started out in domestic cricket his father Jahangir Khan was the national selector. When Majid started to come into national contention with his performances his father rather than selecting him actually resigned from his position as national selector because he didn't want his son's selection into the side (which was bound to happen anyway) to be marred by accusations of nepotism and conflict of interest.

    These were the kind of people running the PCB back then and this is how much they cared about morality and ethics. I agree that we need to put at end to this Imam debate since it is by no means any fault of his own but playing devil's advocate and defending nepotism on your part is simply wrong.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 24th November 2018 at 13:20.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    First off, Imran Khan would have eventually made it to the side even if he wouldn't have gotten a debut at 19. County cricket was responsible for grooming him while Sarfaraz, Mushtaq and the 79' Australian tour all played major roles in making him realize his true potential and there's no reason to suggest that his selection even at 19 was made on the basis of nepotism. Secondly, since you're talking about the Burki family and Majid Khan you should also know that when Majid himself had started out in domestic cricket his father Jahangir Khan was the national selector. When Majid started to come into national contention with his performances his father rather than selecting him actually resigned from his position as national selector because he didn't want his son's selection into the side (which was bound to happen anyway) to be marred by accusations of nepotism and conflict of interest.

    These were the kind of people running the PCB back then and this is how much they cared about morality and ethics. I agree that we need to put at end to this Imam debate since it is by no means any fault of his own but playing devil's advocate and defending nepotism on your part is simply wrong.
    Majid's case was different. As you stated, he made the team on the merit of his performances, but Imran did not. He picked because of his cousin and his passion for the game made him work hard to unleash his ability. However, he may never have had the opportunity to hone his skills in County Cricket if it wasn't for his early, undeserved tint with the national team which provided him with a much needed springboard. If it wasn't for his family's influence, he would be toiling in domestic cricket for years.

    I am not playing anything here, I am simply stating a fact - nepotism is not always bad, and it is rarely avoidable. There is nothing wrong with nepotism if the right person gets the the job, and in Pakistan, merit alone rarely takes you anywhere. As I said earlier, even if you deserve something on merit, there will always be someone who will take it away from you because of his/her influence, so you need some clout to get the position regardless.

    Most people do not know this, but the most of the players who have played for Pakistan (even the ones on merit) have had some influence and the right relations with the right people. It is simply not possible to get your way in this country purely on merit.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    1,002
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Imam performs nobody will question his selection. Trust me, if he scores couple of 100s in SA/AUS and starts being consistent then everyone will celebrate his selection.

    Bottom line, give performances and win Pakistan matches and nobody will question how and why you got into the national team.

    In the end performance is all that matters.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    840
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Majid's case was different. As you stated, he made the team on the merit of his performances, but Imran did not. He picked because of his cousin and his passion for the game made him work hard to unleash his ability. However, he may never have had the opportunity to hone his skills in County Cricket if it wasn't for his early, undeserved tint with the national team which provided him with a much needed springboard. If it wasn't for his family's influence, he would be toiling in domestic cricket for years.

    I am not playing anything here, I am simply stating a fact - nepotism is not always bad, and it is rarely avoidable. There is nothing wrong with nepotism if the right person gets the the job, and in Pakistan, merit alone rarely takes you anywhere. As I said earlier, even if you deserve something on merit, there will always be someone who will take it away from you because of his/her influence, so you need some clout to get the position regardless.

    Most people do not know this, but the most of the players who have played for Pakistan (even the ones on merit) have had some influence and the right relations with the right people. It is simply not possible to get your way in this country purely on merit.
    That's a bit of a cynical way of looking at things. Just because the system is flawed doesn't mean you should do nothing to reform it.

    I see your point but I just don't agree with it.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,255
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Philander and steyn will be licking their lips at facing imam with plenty of catching practice for the slips if hes picked.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,317
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well if he continues to get low scored and not perform then he will definitely be remembered as Imam and not Inzamam who is a legend.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,317
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Philander and steyn will be licking their lips at facing imam with plenty of catching practice for the slips if hes picked.
    To be fair Inzimam didnt do great in SA either.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    13,836
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Imam-ul-Haq has to go

    No matter what. Enough is enough. I don't care if he's 21, 17 or even 5 years old. I don't see any potential here. I don't see any talent here. He is a nobody, and he will always be a nothing player. This guy will become a cancer for the team if we keep playing him, much like the likes of Hafeez and Malik. It saddens me to see such a rubbish player represent my national team. Has zero intent, had zero skills and is a blatant case of nepotism. This guy will never amount to anything, please mark this thread if you want to and bump it as much as you like.

    Just kick him out. Will definitely go down as one of the worst players to represent Pakistan in the last decade.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    31,202
    Mentioned
    1046 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Hafeez and Imam have guaranteed 20-2 in every innings.

    Crazy how we didn't change the partnership in this Test. Crazier still, Imam's probably going to South Africa !

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    15,991
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Most of these lot are inept. Sack the lot. Make Fakhar captain. Start fresh.

    Wishful thinking by me.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    19,689
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hafeez has done a disaster for us we could have easily tested new opener here
    He blocked the place and then retired such a selfish player
    Inzi can’t see anything beyond imam . Imam is a bad fielder too
    Can’t imagine he is our opener in odis too
    We need fakhar and other opener


    New Era of Team Pakistan

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    152
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam averages 40+ in the second innings of the Test matches and you want him to go? And also, he is the top scorer till now in the second innings.

    He does not have the ĎAí game but still he tries hard to score runs. So much better than the tialunts in the team. Imam is a battler and he will come good soon.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    The problem is that because of the "nepotism" axe hanging around his thread, for Pakistani fans, Imam will always be the first player to have his head on the chopping block. He is not a world class talent, but I believe that if his surname was not "ul-Haq", Pakistani fans would be cutting him more slack.

    So far, he has had a decent start to his career and has shown some ability to handle pressure. Yes he has engaged in minnow bashing, but you can put together any XI in the country and they will get thumped by quality teams more often than not. That is the state of our cricket. By all means drop him, but he is not going to be replaced by a player who will make Pakistan a top team.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    13,836
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The problem is that because of the "nepotism" axe hanging around his thread, for Pakistani fans, Imam will always be the first player to have his head on the chopping block. He is not a world class talent, but I believe that if his surname was not "ul-Haq", Pakistani fans would be cutting him more slack.

    So far, he has had a decent start to his career and has shown some ability to handle pressure. Yes he has engaged in minnow bashing, but you can put together any XI in the country and they will get thumped by quality teams more often than not. That is the state of our cricket. By all means drop him, but he is not going to be replaced by a player who will make Pakistan a top team.
    You are such a hypocrite. On one hand you bash pretty much everyone for being mediocre, yet you continue to defend this pathetic rubbish just because his surname is 'Ul haq'. He is not decent, he will never be decent and will turn out to be another Imran Farhat if we giving him chances. Everybody and their dog has realized he is out of depth in terms of skill against decent bowlers. On top of that, he is selfish and has the gall to give interviews about the fact that people criticize him for being Inzi's nephew. Damn right we will lay into a nepotistic selection. We have replaced garbage like Sami Aslam and Shan Masood with garbage.

    Also Inzi would do well to save his nephew's career, what with Imam getting hit by a short ball every other innings.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    8,098
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't agree with your take on Imam-Ul-Haq.

    @Mamoon

  67. #67
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,255
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Hack by name and nature.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    You are such a hypocrite. On one hand you bash pretty much everyone for being mediocre, yet you continue to defend this pathetic rubbish just because his surname is 'Ul haq'. He is not decent, he will never be decent and will turn out to be another Imran Farhat if we giving him chances. Everybody and their dog has realized he is out of depth in terms of skill against decent bowlers. On top of that, he is selfish and has the gall to give interviews about the fact that people criticize him for being Inzi's nephew. Damn right we will lay into a nepotistic selection. We have replaced garbage like Sami Aslam and Shan Masood with garbage.

    Also Inzi would do well to save his nephew's career, what with Imam getting hit by a short ball every other innings.

    You can call me whatever I want, but I don't see the excitement in axing Imam when he is not exactly blocking the path of a young batsman who is going to take on the best bowlers in the world heads on. I have no love for Inzamam and I am highly critical of the damage he has done to Pakistan cricket, but I cannot criticise him for selecting Imam unless there are a string of players waiting in the wings who will transform this team.

    I have zero faith in our batsmen which is why I am not bothered if Imam is dropped or not. The only thing that I am insisting on is do not expect miracles from the next in line.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamza_ View Post
    I don't agree with your take on Imam-Ul-Haq.

    @Mamoon
    My point is that he is not blocking world class batsmen from getting into the team. Since we do not have any, I do not care if whether Imam is dropped or not. I will not be upset if never plays for Pakistan again and I will also not be upset if he continues to play. Either way, we will be a mediocre team.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    13,836
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You can call me whatever I want, but I don't see the excitement in axing Imam when he is not exactly blocking the path of a young batsman who is going to take on the best bowlers in the world heads on. I have no love for Inzamam and I am highly critical of the damage he has done to Pakistan cricket, but I cannot criticise him for selecting Imam unless there are a string of players waiting in the wings who will transform this team.

    I have zero faith in our batsmen which is why I am not bothered if Imam is dropped or not. The only thing that I am insisting on is do not expect miracles from the next in line.
    Then why do you bash Azhar Ali? Do you see a string of players waiting in the wings who could replace him? If you are adamant on calling Imam 'decent' in a number of threads just to stand out from the popular opinion, while you bash Azhar or call Babar soft and mediocre, you will be called out as a hypocrite.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    Then why do you bash Azhar Ali? Do you see a string of players waiting in the wings who could replace him? If you are adamant on calling Imam 'decent' in a number of threads just to stand out from the popular opinion, while you bash Azhar or call Babar soft and mediocre, you will be called out as a hypocrite.
    I am critical of Babar because I feel that he (along with Haris) are the only two batsmen in the team with the ability to be among the top batsmen. However, their lack lustre attitude is holding them back. Haris is timid and lazy, while Babar is fit but timid nonetheless.

    I am critical of Azhar because he is a veteran of nearly 70 Tests with 8 years under his belt yet he has oozes zero confidence and has no ability to make his mark on the game. I am not critical of Azhar because I think that he is preventing a world class number three from playing because I know for a fact that we do not have any.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít know why people are saying to drop imam. I know he had a bad series but heís one of the best openers in Asia. Currently I would rate Rohit > Imam > Shikar > Fakhar > Tamim. I am sure he will light up the stadium on fire in the SA tour.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    13,836
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    I am critical of Babar because I feel that he (along with Haris) are the only two batsmen in the team with the ability to be among the top batsmen. However, their lack lustre attitude is holding them back. Haris is timid and lazy, while Babar is fit but timid nonetheless.

    I am critical of Azhar because he is a veteran of nearly 70 Tests with 8 years under his belt yet he has oozes zero confidence and has no ability to make his mark on the game. I am not critical of Azhar because I think that he is preventing a world class number three from playing because I know for a fact that we do not have any.
    When you have your reasons for bashing Azhar, Haris and Babar, who have performed admirably in comparison to Imam, how on earth do you continue to defend Imam's continuous selection? It's entirely to support someone who is mocked here by 90% of the posters and stand out from the crowd. In other words, attention seeking.

    In another thread, you called for Sarfraz to be removed from captaincy as you cannot keep failing at your job and continue, no matter how bad the options are. Quite the hypocrisy to suggest the opposite for Imam-ul-haq.

    I would also like to remind you the fact that your support for Hafeez also blew up in your face, when he himself left Test cricket in the middle of the freaking test match

  74. #74
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    13,836
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khanusman1 View Post
    I donít know why people are saying to drop imam. I know he had a bad series but heís one of the best openers in Asia. Currently I would rate Rohit > Imam > Shikar > Fakhar > Tamim. I am sure he will light up the stadium on fire in the SA tour.
    Is bhai ne aaj subah naashta nahi kiya

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    2,990
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    When you have your reasons for bashing Azhar, Haris and Babar, who have performed admirably in comparison to Imam, how on earth do you continue to defend Imam's continuous selection? It's entirely to support someone who is mocked here by 90% of the posters and stand out from the crowd. In other words, attention seeking.

    In another thread, you called for Sarfraz to be removed from captaincy as you cannot keep failing at your job and continue, no matter how bad the options are. Quite the hypocrisy to suggest the opposite for Imam-ul-haq.

    I would also like to remind you the fact that your support for Hafeez also blew up in your face, when he himself left Test cricket in the middle of the freaking test match
    All 5 of these batsmen out of the top 6 deserve some criticism but I concur with you in re: Imam and Hafeez. The opinion made by Mamoon on the latter of these openers was a weird post especially from a very knowledgeable reader of the game.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    28,206
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nepotism at its best. This selection of Imam for SA tour is a disgrace and clearly shows Inzi's bias towards his nephew. Imam has been a passenger in test and should have been dropped after such a poor show against NZ.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    555
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Absolute ** that he was selected in the first place when there are other options available

  78. #78
    Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    104,255
    Mentioned
    666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Imam fails in every inns during series but still gets selected, just goes to show how inept and corupt selections in team are.

  79. #79
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    12,708
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's been trash just like every other Top 3 bat in Pakistan barring Fakhar Zaman.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    78,825
    Mentioned
    5361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    When you have your reasons for bashing Azhar, Haris and Babar, who have performed admirably in comparison to Imam, how on earth do you continue to defend Imam's continuous selection? It's entirely to support someone who is mocked here by 90% of the posters and stand out from the crowd. In other words, attention seeking.

    In another thread, you called for Sarfraz to be removed from captaincy as you cannot keep failing at your job and continue, no matter how bad the options are. Quite the hypocrisy to suggest the opposite for Imam-ul-haq.

    I would also like to remind you the fact that your support for Hafeez also blew up in your face, when he himself left Test cricket in the middle of the freaking test match
    Instead of calling me a hypocrite in every post, please try to understand my point. Imam has played what, 20 games only for Pakistan so far? And out of these 20 games, probably less than half of these games have been against top flight opposition. Yes he has not played a single notable innings against any of these teams yet, but it is far too early to criticise him especially when we are not loaded with great batting talent.

    After a couple of years and with a decent sample size, if he continues to fail against the top teams, I will be the first one to criticise him. However, people have simply been too quick to criticise because of the Inzamam factor.

    Now let me clarify my stance on Hafeez. He is not a great batsman by any means, but ever since he has become a regular in 2010 after his formative years, he has mostly made the team on merit. For all his inconsistencies, he is usually among the top performers. In fact, prior to this series, he has averaged 50 at a SR of 60 in UAE as an opener with tons against England, Australia and New Zealand. Are you telling me that someone like him does not make a mediocre team like Pakistan on merit?

    Of all the openers we have tried in the last decade, he has been better than all minus Fakhar. The problem is that people judge his batting by comparing him to the players in other teams, and yes he was never close to the league of the top batsmen, but they are not his competition; his competition is (or was) the likes of Shehzad, Farhat, Masood, Jamshed, Manzoor, Butt, Awais Zia, Rafatullah etc. and he has been better than all of them.

    It is a myth that he did not make the team purely on batting merit. He was simply an easy scapegoat because people expected him to develop into a top quality batsman after playing for so many years. However, he was never of that caliber but that did not had to do with his selection because he was still better than most of his competitors, if not all.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •