Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Absolutely.

Atherton, Hussain, Bumble, Holding and others were singing his praises. But before we knew it, he was shown the door.
    It wasnít before we knew it.

It was after 25 Test innings where he treated my failed and showed no initiative of positive batsmanship.

Only one to blame for his dropping is him.

Many players have looked potential world beaters in their first series but many of them fall off and this is what happened

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    It wasnít before we knew it.

It was after 25 Test innings where he treated my failed and showed no initiative of positive batsmanship.

Only one to blame for his dropping is him.

Many players have looked potential world beaters in their first series but many of them fall off and this is what happened
    Hameed is from England and even he didn't get as many chances, once dubbed the wonder boy by media after showing so much potential playing some great international knocks early on would soon find himself dropped. Sami had it so much easier, there's an argument to make that perhaps we should have persisted with Haseeb; now he is completely shot

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    He was given about 25 chances in Tests, across those innings he only did well in England and looked absolutely horrifying in Australia. At the end of the day no one has it easy in Pakistan apart from a select few, you have to show a bit of spine and cash in on the opportunities that are given, he only got himself to blame for flopping every where apart from England
    2 of his last 3 Test scores were 39 and 51.

12 of his 25 innings have been in Aus, NZ or England.

I think he's worth another go.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    2 of his last 3 Test scores were 39 and 51.

12 of his 25 innings have been in Aus, NZ or England.

I think he's worth another go.
    Definitely considering the type of openers we currently have

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably one of the most ugly styled player that i have seen since BigMan-G.Smith ... but if he can push results like him, we are probably looking at a great of the game ... def deserves another chance ....

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam was fine in England, Australia and New Zealand: he was actually more consistent than Misbah, Younis, Shafiq and Babar Azam in those Tests.

He needed to develop some release strokes to pick up a single here and there, but was otherwise fine!

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    37 Thread(s)
    Imam and the resurgence of Masood have closed the door on him. He doesnít have anyone to blame. He was given a good crack but didnít capitalize outside the England tour in 2016.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    194* now - heading for a double hundred.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think posters here forget that players are human beings who have the capacity to improve, both their batting technique AND their mentality. You can see how guys like Ian Bell and Dinesh Karthik revived their careers at different points through hard work and reinventing themselves. With a positive coaching staff behind him, why can't this work for Sami Aslam? I for one would love to see an opening pair for Sami Aslam and Abid Ali for the SL series.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Double hundred for Sami - excellent knock in QEA

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would think he would be first in line for Fakhar Zaman's spot. I have heard he is one of the best batsmen in Pak's first class.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's looking a bit chunky these days.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam 243 from a total score of 467 for Southern Punjab!

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sami is decent but I always get the feel he would get out every second ball. One thing for sure is that he would never dominate a bowling attack and would struggle on hard and fast wickets.

Having said that he has piled on runs in past and has started terrifically in this edition. We should see how QEA pans out this year but ideally he should make the cut for test before Fakhar for sure.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone keeps questioning samiís intent, like for real this guy was prolific in List A, keeping an average of 49 with an SR of 87 is the epitome of modern cricket. Why does everyone write him off as a test only player??? Everyone says heís mentally weak and what not, but hasnít he proven to be at least a little bit mentally strong by staying at the crease and scoring big despite wickets constantly falling around him? Aside from a big partnership with adnan, sami basically single handedly put SP in a good position despite his teammates throwing their wickets away.

How will we improve our cricket when we are so apprehensive about giving young players opportunities? Sami is only 23-24, and even though i believe abid ali also deserves a shot, heís 31, and not what you would call a young gun. Why is it that posters are saying that players lime shan masood are worthy of constantly getting called back, but then those same people are saying sami has had his fair share of opportunities????

Samiís initial rise was in the 50 over format, but despite being put in tough conditions in tests he performed, when he struggled he was quickly dropped but seems that heís improved his game and mentality. Itís clear that there seems to be a clear bias when people are coming to the defense of imam stating heís young and deserves a long leash, but the same guys are saying that the door for sami has been closed???

No more excuses in the new structure, if he performs he should he selected, the pool for selection has become a lot smaller and a lot more competitive with the best playing the best. If guys like abid ali and sami aslam prove their mettle here over the course of the next few innings they deserve selection for the home series against sri lanka. If guys like imam falter here then they should be dropped. Itís high time that players earn their places in the squad based on merit and not on seniority or favoritism. If imam goes on to score a double century or even a century, if heís a constant and consistent high scoring threat Iíll be the first to say i was wrong, but until that happens i just hope misbah feels the same way i do and realizes the importance of this revamped domestic competition for our future.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    100 for Sami Aslam for Southern Punjab vs Northern in Round 5 of QEA

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is continuing to pile up the runs. I liked his hunger and grit at the international stage.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    100 for Sami Aslam for Southern Punjab vs Northern in Round 5 of QEA
    Heís like a left-handed version of Azhar Ali before he deteriorated with age....

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam 55* - looking good once more and should get a 100

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMo18 View Post
    Everyone keeps questioning sami’s intent, like for real this guy was prolific in List A, keeping an average of 49 with an SR of 87 is the epitome of modern cricket. Why does everyone write him off as a test only player??? Everyone says he’s mentally weak and what not, but hasn’t he proven to be at least a little bit mentally strong by staying at the crease and scoring big despite wickets constantly falling around him? Aside from a big partnership with adnan, sami basically single handedly put SP in a good position despite his teammates throwing their wickets away.

How will we improve our cricket when we are so apprehensive about giving young players opportunities? Sami is only 23-24, and even though i believe abid ali also deserves a shot, he’s 31, and not what you would call a young gun. Why is it that posters are saying that players lime shan masood are worthy of constantly getting called back, but then those same people are saying sami has had his fair share of opportunities????

Sami’s initial rise was in the 50 over format, but despite being put in tough conditions in tests he performed, when he struggled he was quickly dropped but seems that he’s improved his game and mentality. It’s clear that there seems to be a clear bias when people are coming to the defense of imam stating he’s young and deserves a long leash, but the same guys are saying that the door for sami has been closed???

No more excuses in the new structure, if he performs he should he selected, the pool for selection has become a lot smaller and a lot more competitive with the best playing the best. If guys like abid ali and sami aslam prove their mettle here over the course of the next few innings they deserve selection for the home series against sri lanka. If guys like imam falter here then they should be dropped. It’s high time that players earn their places in the squad based on merit and not on seniority or favoritism. If imam goes on to score a double century or even a century, if he’s a constant and consistent high scoring threat I’ll be the first to say i was wrong, but until that happens i just hope misbah feels the same way i do and realizes the importance of this revamped domestic competition for our future.
    Pakistan team is only for mediocre players. Azhar,Asad.... Sami to me has always been a prolific player. His record says it all. Again Pakistan has been nvesting in wrong people. Sami fits both in ODIs and test formats. He is left handed version of Babar.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam was one of the better U-19 batsmen we had, he should be given another chance before he becomes another wasted investment.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    It makes my blood boil.

Heís 23 compared with the 32 year old Abid Ali, and heís now averaging 55 runs more per innings than Abid Ali this season.

So obviously Abid Ali is the one Misbah selects for the Test squad.

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon he should have been given a longer run in test cricket. Some players take time to find their feet in test cricket. Babar was given a long run in tests and the results are showing now, he averaged 50+ last year in tests. Sami Aslam is still young, he is about to turn 24. If he continues his performances in First class then he should be picked again. I remember he played a couple of good knocks in England and New Zealand.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It makes my blood boil.

He’s 23 compared with the 32 year old Abid Ali, and he’s now averaging 55 runs more per innings than Abid Ali this season.

So obviously Abid Ali is the one Misbah selects for the Test squad.
    You are completely looking at this season's stats and ignoring other factors. First of all, Abid Ali is averaging around 75 in comparison to Sami Aslam's 115 or so, so both have done exceptionally well.

But this bigger picture is:
    Abid Ali has worked on his fitness and has been a part of the setup over the past half year or so
    Sami Aslam meanwhile is sporting a belly and doesn't seem to have improved his fitness at all

Alongside this, Abid Ali has been the best opener in domestic cricket over the past couple of seasons where openers have generally struggled in more testing conditions. Sami Aslam was one of those who struggled.

QEA 2017/18: Abid Ali 541 runs at 49, Sami Aslam 407 runs at 37. Both hit one hundred.

QEA 2018/19: Abid Ali 472 runs at 47, Sami Aslam 393 runs at 32. Both hit 2 hundreds but Abid played 4 fewer matches.

Then for Pakistan A last year, Abid Ali made 519 runs in 4 games at 74 with 2 hundreds.

Meanwhile, Sami Aslam played 1 match against Kent and two A games and made <100 runs runs at 20.

Sami Aslam will get more opportunities in future but Abid Ali hasn't been wrongfully selected.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 4th November 2019 at 16:55.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    You are completely looking at this season's stats and ignoring other factors. First of all, Abid Ali is averaging around 75 in comparison to Sami Aslam's 115 or so, so both have done exceptionally well.

But this bigger picture is:
    Abid Ali has worked on his fitness and has been a part of the setup over the past half year or so
    Sami Aslam meanwhile is sporting a belly and doesn't seem to have improved his fitness at all

Alongside this, Abid Ali has been the best opener in domestic cricket over the past couple of seasons where openers have generally struggled in more testing conditions. Sami Aslam was one of those who struggled.

QEA 2017/18: Abid Ali 541 runs at 49, Sami Aslam 407 runs at 37. Both hit one hundred.

QEA 2018/19: Abid Ali 472 runs at 47, Sami Aslam 393 runs at 32. Both hit 2 hundreds but Abid played 4 fewer matches.

Then for Pakistan A last year, Abid Ali made 519 runs in 4 games at 74 with 2 hundreds.

Meanwhile, Sami Aslam played 1 match against Kent and two A games and made <100 runs runs at 20.

Sami Aslam will get more opportunities in future but Abid Ali hasn't been wrongfully selected.
    Old stats prove nothing when a player like Abid Ali is already at the age at which most international batsmen end their careers.

Pakistan, or to be precise Misbah-ul-Haq, has this weird deference for age and ďseniorityĒ.

Pakistan already has two thirty-somethings in the Test batting line-up, in the failed Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq.

If you want to induct another geriatric, then drop one of the existing ones - donít obstruct the development of youngsters.

If it were up to me, I would have dropped Azhar Ali this season and told Asad Shafiq that he is getting one more season to make his swan song. That way Iíd have already got Imam, Babar, Shan Masood, Haris Sohail, Sami Aslam and Mohammad Rizwan bedded in so when Shafiq loses his place in a year there is only one transition in the batting line up.

You canít exclude a 23 year old who is averaging 145 in order to combine an uncapped 32 year old with two mentally weak guys in their 30s who have failed since the senior batsmen left.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1586 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Old stats prove nothing when a player like Abid Ali is already at the age at which most international batsmen end their careers.

Pakistan, or to be precise Misbah-ul-Haq, has this weird deference for age and “seniority”.

Pakistan already has two thirty-somethings in the Test batting line-up, in the failed Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq.

If you want to induct another geriatric, then drop one of the existing ones - don’t obstruct the development of youngsters.

If it were up to me, I would have dropped Azhar Ali this season and told Asad Shafiq that he is getting one more season to make his swan song. That way I’d have already got Imam, Babar, Shan Masood, Haris Sohail, Sami Aslam and Mohammad Rizwan bedded in so when Shafiq loses his place in a year there is only one transition in the batting line up.

You can’t exclude a 23 year old who is averaging 145 in order to combine an uncapped 32 year old with two mentally weak guys in their 30s who have failed since the senior batsmen left.
    When the Test squad was announced, Abid Ali was averaging 150 this season vs Sami Aslam's 123.

I would have gotten rid of at least 1 of the 2 seniors a while back.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might not be pleasant to watch but i believe he is determined, likes to grind it out and will be a key player in the setup.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Left-handed Sami was at the crease on 149*, his 13th first-class century in Round 6 of QeA

Sami has so far hit 14 fours and two sixes in a 255-ball innings.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aesthetically he is not that bad as we are saying , More in a Graeme Smith mould rather fawad alam or chanderpaul.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Arrogant and mentally weak, the worst combination of qualities to have in an international cricketer

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Arrogant and mentally weak, the worst combination of qualities to have in an international cricketer
    Where did you get that info?

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Where did you get that info?
    Seen/read numerous of his interviews that reek of entitlement, seems to have every statistic of his memorised to 2 decimals, doesn't appear to take his fitness seriously, and refuses to actually acknowledge that it was his own defensive batting that led to his ousting.

It's sad because I thought he was a wonderful batsman in his U19 days and thought he looked excellent against England at Edgbaston, but he completely failed to kick on and gave off the impression that he couldn't really handle the pressure

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seen/read numerous of his interviews that reek of entitlement, seems to have every statistic of his memorised to 2 decimals, doesn't appear to take his fitness seriously, and refuses to actually acknowledge that it was his own defensive batting that led to his ousting.

It's sad because I thought he was a wonderful batsman in his U19 days and thought he looked excellent against England at Edgbaston, but he completely failed to kick on and gave off the impression that he couldn't really handle the pressure
    Early days for him , If Shehzad can get countless chances I think he should deserve at least one more?

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sneaking in Karhai Chicken to your hotel room doesn't exactly give you a great image.He definitely needs to work on fitness. But I disagree about the stats, many coaches get angry when you don't know your own stats.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Early days for him , If Shehzad can get countless chances I think he should deserve at least one more?
    Agreed. His performances this season have been too good to ignore. Abid is deservedly in the squad ahead of him due to his performances over the last 2 years combined but if one of Shan, Abid or Imam flops over the next series or two then Sami should be a direct replacement