Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)

[PICTURES] Pakistan Super League 2019 - Discussion Thread

PSL Governing Council Meeting held at the NCA

Pakistan Super League Governing Council Meeting
    PSL 2019 returns to action on 14 February 2019

Lahore, 15 September, 2018: The Pakistan Super League Governing Council comprising representatives of PCB and all PSL franchises met here today at the National Cricket Academy. Chairman PCB Mr. Ehsan Mani presided over the meeting.

A number of key matters were discussed during the meeting.

Mr. Ehsan Mani reiterated PCB’s aim of ensuring transparency and working in partnership with all franchises in order to make PSL a bigger success.

It was decided unanimously that franchise representatives would be a part of bid committees for various upcoming PSL rights. The Chairman welcomed the inclusion of franchises in the decision-making process and highlighted the need to ensure collective growth of all partners.

“ PCB and all PSL franchises are partners in this project and I am confident that we will all work together to bring in good numbers for our next rights cycle,” said Mr. Mani.

The pick order for the upcoming PSL Player Draft was discussed at the meeting. It was decided that this year’s draft would be based on last year’s rankings with teams being allowed a maximum of 10 retentions. For PSL 5 onwards, all franchises agreed to introduce a randomized draft order.

It was also decided that PSL 2019 will start on 14 February 2019 in the UAE and will move to Pakistan for the last eight matches of the tournament, with the final taking place in Karachi on 17 March.

The Governing Council members congratulated Mr. Ehsan Mani on taking charge as Chairman PCB and assured him of their full support.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2018-09-15 at 14.03.14.jpg
Views: 4388
Size:  47.7 KBName:  WhatsApp Image 2018-09-15 at 14.03.21.jpg
Views: 4384
Size:  47.3 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th September 2018 at 20:36.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Excellent to see all plans made!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    It was decided that this year’s draft would be based on last year’s rankings with teams being allowed a maximum of 10 retentions. For PSL 5 onwards, all franchises agreed to introduce a randomized draft order.

So same draft order - ABdV goes to LQ?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Great news for Karachi fans!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good that the tournament is being held earlier than usual.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So how many matches in Pakistan, apart from the final?

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And now that the final is in Karachi, does anyone know how far the renovation work has been done on NSK?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hope better players in pick list rather than a good bunch of TTFS!!!!

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    Good that the tournament is being held earlier than usual.
    Last year was the exception.

PSL1: February 4, 2016
    PSL2: February 9, 2017
    PSL3: February 22, 2018
    PSL4: February 14, 2019

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Same number of days as the prior year (31)

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly speaking, before the draft they need to ask the players if they are comfortable playing in pakistan. If not, no point on picking them. Imagine a foreign player performed really well and when final comes, backs out from playing in pakistan. Major loss for that team (watson I believe did something like this last time)

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by light View Post
    Honestly speaking, before the draft they need to ask the players if they are comfortable playing in pakistan. If not, no point on picking them. Imagine a foreign player performed really well and when final comes, backs out from playing in pakistan. Major loss for that team (watson I believe did something like this last time)
    7 games from AB can do a world of good for the PSL as compared to a lesser player playing the entire season.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    7 games from AB can do a world of good for the PSL as compared to a lesser player playing the entire season.
    My statement wasn't about the popularity of a player. Might want to re-read again.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My statement wasn't about the popularity of a player. Might want to re-read again.

You said there is no point picking AB de Villiers since he will not play in Pakistan.

I would argue that the benefits of AB de Villiers for 7 games outweigh the negatives of him missing the last 3 group games and the knock outs.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    No player should be picked if he is not ready to play in PAK. This is not a prestige issue, rather a tactical one - unless PCB stands firm on this, even part of PSL 44, might be played outside. No player is bigger than the game and no player's life is less important - if other white players can tour PAK, so should be AB & Smith & Warner.

PCB has a tremendous quality of down grading themselves - playing a 2 Test Ashes warmer in 2001 is one of my popular examples. Each & every player that lists his name for draft MUST sign an agreement to play in PAK, unless there is a new security threat. These guys KP, AB, Morgan & Warner are playing in IND (Bangalore & Ahmadabad to be precise) just after bomb blast, NOT only because IPL pays so much (no money is bigger than life threat), rather because they know that BCCI won't compromise here - if they decline once, pretty much end of their IPL career for ever.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    It was decided that this year’s draft would be based on last year’s rankings with teams being allowed a maximum of 10 retentions. For PSL 5 onwards, all franchises agreed to introduce a randomized draft order.

So same draft order - ABdV goes to LQ?
    I was hoping AB goes to Lahore qalandars! Would be nice to see qalandars to go further in this PSL, and with AB in the team would be more exciting to watch..

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What are the Pakistani venues? Only Lahore and Karachi?

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    New Zealand
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL should get David Warner and Steve Smith. Both played in CPL and Canadian league and these two players aren't 30+ year olds already retired from international cricket unlike a lot of the other foreign players in the PSL.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    You said there is no point picking AB de Villiers since he will not play in Pakistan.

I would argue that the benefits of AB de Villiers for 7 games outweigh the negatives of him missing the last 3 group games and the knock outs.
    Not really sure if you understood my point. Let me try to explain it in a different way. Let's use 2016 RCB team - Virat Kholi and SRH - David Warner as an example (I know no indians are going to be playing in PSL but I had to find an example and this was the only one that was coming in my mind). Not sure if you followed the 2016 IPL but if you go back and look at it, both Kholi and Warner were arguabily carrying their respective team with their batting single handedly. If either one of them didn't score, team didn't do well in the batting department. Now imagine a scenerio comes where AB was also doing the same for the X franchise he got selected to play for and suddenly they reach the knockout and he decides not to tour Pakistan because of security concerns. Since that team was so relient on AB to perform for them, a back up player might not be able to fill his shoes. You don't even want to experiment during the knockout when that Star player was your key player to go to.

Sure that he is a star player and brings in a lot of fan support, sponsers, etc. No question about that. However, if such a situation does arrive, he will put the team's chance of winning the PSL in jeopardy.

Hopefully I was able to explain my POV much clearly this time around. Let me know your thoughts.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not really sure if you understood my point. Let me try to explain it in a different way. Let's use 2016 RCB team - Virat Kholi and SRH - David Warner as an example (I know no indians are going to be playing in PSL but I had to find an example and this was the only one that was coming in my mind). Not sure if you followed the 2016 IPL but if you go back and look at it, both Kholi and Warner were arguabily carrying their respective team with their batting single handedly. If either one of them didn't score, team didn't do well in the batting department. Now imagine a scenerio comes where AB was also doing the same for the X franchise he got selected to play for and suddenly they reach the knockout and he decides not to tour Pakistan because of security concerns. Since that team was so relient on AB to perform for them, a back up player might not be able to fill his shoes. You don't even want to experiment during the knockout when that Star player was your key player to go to.

Sure that he is a star player and brings in a lot of fan support, sponsers, etc. No question about that. However, if such a situation does arrive, he will put the team's chance of winning the PSL in jeopardy.

Hopefully I was able to explain my POV much clearly this time around. Let me know your thoughts.
    I think for a team like Lahore that has finished last in the table standings every single year that the PSL has been played and who is yet to play a knockout game, it would go a long way to even have that jump start and temporary help to make the knockouts.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    No player should be picked if he is not ready to play in PAK. This is not a prestige issue, rather a tactical one - unless PCB stands firm on this, even part of PSL 44, might be played outside. No player is bigger than the game and no player's life is less important - if other white players can tour PAK, so should be AB & Smith & Warner.

PCB has a tremendous quality of down grading themselves - playing a 2 Test Ashes warmer in 2001 is one of my popular examples. Each & every player that lists his name for draft MUST sign an agreement to play in PAK, unless there is a new security threat. These guys KP, AB, Morgan & Warner are playing in IND (Bangalore & Ahmadabad to be precise) just after bomb blast, NOT only because IPL pays so much (no money is bigger than life threat), rather because they know that BCCI won't compromise here - if they decline once, pretty much end of their IPL career for ever.
    Completely agreed with you.Anyone who is picked must agree to play in Pakistan.Not like KP/Morgan/Watson last year.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    What are the Pakistani venues? Only Lahore and Karachi?
    Yes

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened to the PCB saying that entire PSL will be held in Pakistan? Is the new regime not up to the task? Or, are they just not doing it to be different from Mr. Sethi?

Also, with the PSL just 4+ months away, no new broadcasting deal. Shouldn't the PCB be working to secure a deal? Judging by all the recent TV deals made by various boards, the PCB should be ca$hing in.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that case, why play in UAE at all? The whole PSL can be moved to Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    Whatever happened to the PCB saying that entire PSL will be held in Pakistan? Is the new regime not up to the task? Or, are they just not doing it to be different from Mr. Sethi?

Also, with the PSL just 4+ months away, no new broadcasting deal. Shouldn't the PCB be working to secure a deal? Judging by all the recent TV deals made by various boards, the PCB should be ca$hing in.
    Najam Sethi was looking at 8 games this year aswell, had said half the league earlier but that was way too optimistic. I’m guessing the broadcasting deal and new title sponsors will be finalised in the next month before the player draft
    Expect the title sponsor to be confirmed at least

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was hoping if not whole but at least half of the matches to be played in Pakistan. None the less if 8 matches will be played here. PCB needs to make sure all players are ready to play here. Or else don't sign that player.

Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    [B]Whatever happened to the PCB saying that entire PSL will be held in Pakistan? Is the new regime not up to the task? Or, are they just not doing it to be different from Mr. Sethi?

Or perhaps you have your facts wrong.

Najam Sethi "we are planning 8 to 10 PSL matches in Pakistan next year. The matches will be played in Karachi, Lahore and possibly one other city"

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...ot-Najam-Sethi

And you know they are not working on the deal how?

There's almost exactly 5 months left and you chose to write 4+ for some reason.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    In that case, why play in UAE at all? The whole PSL can be moved to Pakistan.
    They should have done it (play entire PSL in PAK) last year (3rd PSL) - there is absolutely no benefit why even a single game of 4th PSL should be played in UAE. This was my first point on PSL for last 2 years. I understand for the 1st 2 edition, because you need to build brand, but after 3 years, if PSL needs to pamper some retired players and fringe players in their country to keep people interested, PSL will never reach it's potential.

Bringing International team has some technical issues - until PAK's status changes as high risk country to visit, it's difficult for National boards to send a team there. If you look at the teams that toured PAK in recent times, apart from one game by SRL, rest are Mughabe's ZIM, WIN (which is not an individual country, cricket is managed by an individual board), and world XI. PSL is different from that - players can take their own call without politics or clearance from Foreign office - and PCB is compromising here. KP & Watson did their job in first 2-3 years - now, if PSL starts to sacrifice their national interest to bring ABs & Smiths for few franchise T20s, PCB will keep trying to bully BCB for many more years in regard to bring International cricket in PAK.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the next 3-5 years they should bring all the 6 team grounds up to standard. It would be amazing to have home and away games for each team with knockout round venues selected ahead of time.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have done it (play entire PSL in PAK) last year (3rd PSL) - there is absolutely no benefit why even a single game of 4th PSL should be played in UAE. This was my first point on PSL for last 2 years. I understand for the 1st 2 edition, because you need to build brand, but after 3 years, if PSL needs to pamper some retired players and fringe players in their country to keep people interested, PSL will never reach it's potential.

Bringing International team has some technical issues - until PAK's status changes as high risk country to visit, it's difficult for National boards to send a team there. If you look at the teams that toured PAK in recent times, apart from one game by SRL, rest are Mughabe's ZIM, WIN (which is not an individual country, cricket is managed by an individual board), and world XI. PSL is different from that - players can take their own call without politics or clearance from Foreign office - and PCB is compromising here. KP & Watson did their job in first 2-3 years - now, if PSL starts to sacrifice their national interest to bring ABs & Smiths for few franchise T20s, PCB will keep trying to bully BCB for many more years in regard to bring International cricket in PAK.
    I know playing the full PSL in Pakistan will benefit PCB and they should do whatever it takes to achieve it. I guess the players willing to play 8 matches in Pakistan won't mind playing all the matches there.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    PCB Media Release : Sixth meeting of the PSL Governing Council held in Lahore

• PCB and franchisees agree to collaborate and take the League to greater heights

• Governing Council applauds historic commercial rights deals for next three years

Lahore, 14 January:

The sixth meeting of the Pakistan Super League Governing Council was held at the National Cricket Academy, Lahore on Monday.
    PCB and franchise representatives engaged in constructive discussions covering a wide variety of aspects related to the league.
    The Governing Council noted the historic commercial rights deals that have seen a 192% increase in the title sponsorship and 358% increase in media rights. The participants noted that, as a result of these deals, PCB and the franchisees have collectively exceeded valuations shared by independent global consultants from Lagardere.

Franchise representatives were provided with a comprehensive projection of revenues for HBL PSL 2019.
    The Governing Council noted that, in line with the original business model of the tournament, the share of each franchisee had increased substantially.

While noting the importance of obtaining tax relief from the government to manage cash flows for franchisees, the Governing Council reiterated its commitment to engage with relevant authorities in the coming days.

The Governing Council reviewed the ticketing strategy for HBL PSL 2019 in detail. It was noted that PCB has put in place elaborate plans to facilitate fans across the five venues in UAE and Pakistan.

This includes the provision of shuttle services across different stadia in a bid to improve access for fans.
    Franchise representatives and PCB officials exchanged ideas on collaborating for game development initiatives.

Chairman PCB reiterated the Board’s commitment to bring more HBL PSL matches to Pakistan in the coming years.
    Franchise representatives and PCB participants were also informed of plans to screen HBL PSL matches for fans in Pakistan with the support of local authorities.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The 4 weeks of the year that Inzi actually does his job.

Mein inko rolaonga

NaMo se Namonay tak ka safar..... chimpanzee chaiwala

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    PCB Media Release : Sixth meeting of the PSL Governing Council held in Lahore

• PCB and franchisees agree to collaborate and take the League to greater heights

• Governing Council applauds historic commercial rights deals for next three years

Lahore, 14 January:

The sixth meeting of the Pakistan Super League Governing Council was held at the National Cricket Academy, Lahore on Monday.
    PCB and franchise representatives engaged in constructive discussions covering a wide variety of aspects related to the league.
    The Governing Council noted the historic commercial rights deals that have seen a 192% increase in the title sponsorship and 358% increase in media rights. The participants noted that, as a result of these deals, PCB and the franchisees have collectively exceeded valuations shared by independent global consultants from Lagardere.

Franchise representatives were provided with a comprehensive projection of revenues for HBL PSL 2019.
    The Governing Council noted that, in line with the original business model of the tournament, the share of each franchisee had increased substantially.

While noting the importance of obtaining tax relief from the government to manage cash flows for franchisees, the Governing Council reiterated its commitment to engage with relevant authorities in the coming days.

The Governing Council reviewed the ticketing strategy for HBL PSL 2019 in detail. It was noted that PCB has put in place elaborate plans to facilitate fans across the five venues in UAE and Pakistan.

This includes the provision of shuttle services across different stadia in a bid to improve access for fans.
    Franchise representatives and PCB officials exchanged ideas on collaborating for game development initiatives.

Chairman PCB reiterated the Board’s commitment to bring more HBL PSL matches to Pakistan in the coming years.
    Franchise representatives and PCB participants were also informed of plans to screen HBL PSL matches for fans in Pakistan with the support of local authorities.
    Every corrupt organisation will be buying shares in PSL franchises to get away from the tax net as well as legitimizing their shady businesses.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    LAHORE: Despite getting no response from the government on its strenuous efforts to get relief in taxes on the Pakistan Super League accounts, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and all six franchises of the league have decided to continue their endeavours in this regard.

The decision was taken during the sixth PSL governing council meeting, which was held here at the National Cricket Academy on Monday. The meeting was attended by all the franchises.

While the franchises are concerned over suffering financial losses in all the previous three editions of PSL, the PCB, on the other hand, is the claiming to have of earned profit from the league.

“While noting the importance of obtaining tax relief from the government to manage cash flows for the franchisees, the governing council reiterated its commitment to engage with relevant authorities in the coming days,” a press release issued after Monday’s meeting stated.

The PCB, around two months ago, had held meetings with federal finance minister and Punjab chief minister to get relief from the taxes of federal and provincial governments but failed to get any breakthrough.

“The PCB and [the] franchise representatives engaged in constructive discussions covering a wide variety of aspects related to the league,” the press release added.

“The governing council noted the historic commercial rights deals that have seen a 192% increase in the title sponsorship and 358% increase in media rights. The participants noted that, as a result of these deals, the PCB and the franchisees have collectively exceeded valuations shared by independent global consultants from Lagardere.

“Franchise representatives were provided with a comprehensive projection of revenues for HBL PSL 2019. The governing council noted that, in line with the original business model of the tournament, the share of each franchisee had increased substantially,” the release stated.

“The governing council reviewed the ticketing strategy for PSL 2019 in detail. It was noted that the PCB has put in place elaborate plans to facilitate fans across the five venues in the UAE and Pakistan. This includes the provision of shuttle services across different stadia in a bid to improve access for fans.

“Franchise representatives and PCB officials exchanged ideas on collaborating for game development initiatives. PCB chairman reiterated the Board’s commitment to bring more PSL matches to Pakistan in the coming years.

“Franchise representatives and PCB participants were also informed of the plans to screen PSL matches for fans in Pakistan with the support of local authorities,” the press release concluded.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1457522/pc...-relief-in-psl
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th January 2019 at 15:51.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The only thing PCB truly cares about.

Like the last three winters after dismal Southern Hemisphere tours, PSL comes around and amnesia sets in over five weeks as we distract ourselves with second rate competition.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Michael Gough to umpire in Lahore as PCB announces match officials for HBL PSL 2019

Richard Illingworth and Ranmore Martinesz also named in the umpiring panel along with Ahsan Raza, Asif Yaqoob, Rashid Riaz and Shozab Raza

Roshan Mahanama’s love affair with HBL PSL continues; the Sri Lankan will lead the PCT for tournament opener which includes Rashid Riaz, Illingworth, Shozab Raza and Tariq Rasheed

Lahore, 25 January 2018:

The Pakistan Cricket Board today announced that the ICC’s international panel umpire Michael Gough will travel to Lahore to umpire in the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019.

Gough, 39, will umpire in the 9 and 10 March matches between Lahore Qalandars and Islamabad United, and Lahore Qalandars and Multan Sultans, respectively. Appointments for the play-off and knock-out matches will be made closer to the event, but the 12 March Eliminator 1 between Team 3 and Team 4 will be the last match Lahore will stage in the 2019 edition.

Gough, a former first-class cricketer for Durham, is one of the most respected umpires on the ICC panel. He has to date officiated in eight Tests, 49 ODIs and 13 T20Is since making his international debut in August 2013.

This will be Gough’s debut HBL PSL event, in which he will also be involved in the UAE leg, which will commence from 14 February in Dubai and culminate with the final in Karachi on 17 March. Out of 32 matches in 34 days, Lahore will host three matches, while five matches will be played in Karachi.

Also umpiring in the HBL PSL 2019 from the ICC’s international panel will be Sri Lanka’s Ranmore Martinesz. The 51-year-old will complete a hat-trick of appearances in the HBL PSL and will be based in Karachi after completing his UAE assignments.

Martinesz, who played four first-class matches in the 1994-95 season, has umpired in eight Tests, 46 ODIs and 29 T20Is.

Apart from Gough and Martinesz, world’s 35 top performers, including AB de Villiers, have confirmed their participation in the Pakistan-leg matches. Gough’s commitment to visit Lahore is another step in the right direction as the PCB continues to show and prove to the world that Pakistan is a safe and secure country to play international cricket.

Joining Gough and Martinesz in the UAE-leg of HBL PSL 2019 matches will be England’s World Cupper and member of the ICC’s elite umpiring panel Richard Illingworth. This will be Illingworth’s second appearance in the HBL PSL 2019.

Illingworth, 55, played in nine Tests and 25 ODIs for England, while he has umpired in 39 Tests, 59 ODIs and 16 T20Is to date.

Other umpires on the HBL PSL 2019 panel are: Ahsan Raza, Asif Yaqoob, Rashid Riaz and Shozab Raza. All the four are members of the PCB Elite Panel of Umpires, while Rashid was adjudged as the Umpire of PSL 2018.

Aleem Dar, however, will not be making a presence in the 2019 edition due to his family engagements, which will be followed by his international appointments.

The PCB, as part of its strategy to develop and provide more experience and exposure to their up and coming umpires, have included Faisal Afridi and Tariq Rasheed. The two will perform the fourth umpires’ responsibilities during the event, but more importantly, by sharing the same umpires’ room, they will learn from the best how to prepare for a match or a series, and the effort that goes into becoming a reputable and respectable match official.

Roshan Mahanama, one of the most popular match officials and a regular visitor to Pakistan in Sri Lanka’s early days, will lead the match officials’ list, which also includes Prof Anees Sheikh and Prof Javed Malik. The two professors are members of the PCB’s International Panel of Match Referees.

This will be Mahanama’s fourth successive HBL PSL. He had retired from the ICC’s elite panel in 2015 after refereeing in 61 Tests, 222 ODIs and 35 T20Is. In a fine cricketing career, the 52-year-old played 52 Tests and 213 ODIs.

Mahanama will lead the Playing Control Team for the tournament opener between Islamabad United and Lahore Qalandars on 14 February. The on-field umpires will be Rashid Riaz and Richard Illingworth, Shozab Raza will the third umpire while Tariq Rasheed will be the fourth umpire.

Meanwhile, the PCB has also confirmed the three-person Event Technical Committee, which will be headed by Mudassar Nazar and will also include Dr Sohail Saleem and Usman Wahla.

PCB Media Release

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Name:  u1.JPG
Views: 2854
Size:  154.3 KBName:  u2.JPG
Views: 2857
Size:  185.6 KBName:  u3.JPG
Views: 2873
Size:  161.2 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has vowed foolproof security for cricket events in Karachi including the matches of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) slated to be held in March.

In a meeting with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) security consultant Col Asif on Thursday, Murad informed that the police and the Rangers had already made a comprehensive security plan which would involve police, special branch, special security unit, rangers, commando battalion of army.

Helicopters would also be available for aerial cover while all routes, such as stadium, hotels would be searched through bomb disposal squads with medical facilities to be provided at airport, stadium and hotels.

The chief minister expressed his delight that international cricket had returned to the city and promised to work on “further promoting it”.

Last year, the PSL final was played in Karachi for the first time since the glitzy Twenty20 league began in 2016.

During the meeting Col Asif also informed the chief minister that the West Indies women’s team was coming to Karachi on January 30 to play a few matches to which Murad said that had already held a number of meetings to provide necessary security to international teams.

Earlier, Home Secretary Kazi Kabir chaired a meeting of Security Coordination Committee to review arrangements for tour of the West Indies women’s team and the PSL.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1459572/mu...hes-in-karachi

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    HBL PSL – a trip down the memory lane

Lahore, 27 January 2019:

The countdown to the HBL PSL 2019 has already started and less than three weeks remain before the cricket festivity season begins in full force. Defending champions Islamabad United will take on Lahore Qalandars in Dubai on 14 February and the 32-day spectacle in which 34 matches will be played will culminate in Karachi on 17 March.

Pakistan’s love for T20 cricket is well-known. It was one of the first nations that adopted the concept of 20 overs cricket as indicated by a buoyant crowd of 25,000 people which showed up to watch the final of Pakistan’s first-ever domestic T20 competition in Lahore in 2005.
    The idea of Pakistan’s own T20 league was first mooted in 2008 and materialised in 2015 when the PCB sold five franchises – Karachi Kings, Lahore Qalandars, Peshawar Zalmi, Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators - to different business groups for a combined sum of US$93 for 10 years.

In the first players’ draft of the league, that took place in Lahore in December 2015, 98 top-ranked cricketers, including 29 overseas, were picked by the five teams. Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Shane Watson, Kevin Pietersen and Chris Gayle were the five icon players snapped up by Peshawar, Karachi, Islamabad, Quetta and Lahore, respectively.

The PSL’s first edition in 2016, a 24-game event, was staged in February across two UAE venues – Dubai and Sharjah.

And who could have asked for a better start to the history-marking tournament when in the opening game in Dubai, the underrated Gladiators got the better of a fancied United, and, on the following day, Kings’ Mohammad Amir took a hat-trick against Qalandars.

Almost all games of the tournament were well-received by the passionate and die-hard cricket crowds. Lahore vs Karachi, for example, was watched in Sharjah by a crowd reminiscent of India-Pakistan games in the 1990s.

The final in Dubai was also a house full. United won the tournament at the back of five consecutive wins with captain Misbah-ul-Haq lifting the trophy after his batsmen successfully chased 175 against Gladiators.

Umar Akmal of Qalandars finished the tournament as best batsman scoring 335 runs at a staggering strike-rate of 157.27, while Andre Russell capped off the event as best bowler taking 16 wickets at 17.25.

The second edition of the PSL, played in February and March 2017, could well be remembered as a watershed moment in cricket’s return to Pakistan.

The tournament, akin to the previous edition, was held in Dubai and Sharjah but the final between Zalmi and Gladiators was staged in Lahore and watched by over 20,000 people. There was an air of buzz and excitement in the country ever since it was announced that the final would be played in Pakistan.

The teams reshuffled their squads and brought in new faces in the draft held in Dubai some four months before the tournament.

Qalandars made a few high-profile signings, roping in Brendon McCullum, Sunil Narine and Jason Roy, whereas Kings picked up Kieron Pollard and made Kumar Sangakkara their captain. Zalmi signed Eoin Morgan and handed the leadership duties to Daren Sammy.

On the evidence of new signings and competitive games, the tournament was a bigger success than the previous edition.

Eleven out of 24 games were potentially decided in the last over, including the first playoff in Sharjah that saw Quetta defend two off three balls and win by one run. Zalmi comfortably won the final against Gladiators, who, for the second year running, were runners-up.

One of the star performers of the second edition was Zalmi’s Kamran Akmal. He scored 353 runs at a strike-rate of 129.30 to win the player of the tournament award. Sohail Khan led the bowling charts, pouching 16 wickets for Kings.

The third edition brought big-time cricket back to Karachi after a gap of nine years as the city of lights hosted the final between United and Zalmi. The two eliminators were played in Lahore, while UAE hosted a Qualifier and the group stage.

Joe Denly, Colin Ingram, Ravi Bopara (Karachi Kings), Daren Sammy, Liam Dawson, Andre Fletcher (Peshawar Zalmi), JP Duminy, Samit Patel, Luke Ronchi (Islamabad United), Thisara Perera, Mahmudullah (Quetta Gladiators) were some of the high-profile overseas players who entertained the cricket crazy crowd in Pakistan.

The first eliminator in Lahore was a thriller in which Gladiators’ Anwar Ali, chasing 25 runs from the last over by Zalmi’s Dawson, fell short of the target by just two runs.

The biggest hero of the tournament though was United’s Ronchi, who in his maiden appearance in the tournament, accumulated 435 runs at a whopping strike-rate of 182.00. His best was a 39-ball 94 not out in the qualifier against Karachi in Dubai.

That United won the tournament for the second time was down to Ronchi’s swashbuckling batting throughout the event as well as his 52 off 26 balls in the final, which was attended by nearly 30,000 spectators at the National Stadium Karachi.

The PSL’s ever-growing popularity and worth can also be established from the facts that the third edition had 10 more games and welcomed a new team in Multan Sultans that was sold to a Dubai-based enterprise for twice the amount of the previous most expensive franchise.

Media Department

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    HBL PSL – a statistical review

Lahore, 29 January 2019:

The HBL Pakistan Super League has grown stronger with every event. This is not only the unanimous opinion of the local and foreign cricketers or the spectators or the pundits of the game, this can be established by carrying out a statistical review of one of the world’s most competitive and challenging leagues on the planet.

Below are some statistics for your interest and analysis:

Most successful team

The most successful team in HBL PSL’s brief history is Islamabad United, which won titles in 2016 and 2018 and holds a success percentage of 59.67 after winning 19 out of 32 matches.

2017 champions Peshawar Zalmi are the second most successful team, with 19 victories in 34 games. Two-time losing finalists Quetta Gladiator (56.66) are third, with 17 wins out of 31 matches.

Highest and lowest totals

203 for eight 8 in 20 overs is the highest total in HBL PSL, which was posted by Gladiators in a successful run-chase against Lahore Qalandars in the first edition of the PSL in 2016. Qalandars batted first and scored 201 for two in 20 overs, but Gladiators chased it on the last ball of the match.

The lowest total belongs to Qalandars, who were bowled out for 59 against Zalmi in Dubai in 2017.

Highest PowerPlay score

Gladiators hold the record for the highest total in a PowerPlay - 77 for one against Qalandars during a successful run-chase of 202 in Dubai in 2016.

The next highest score at the six-over mark is 75 by Qalandars against Gladiators in Sharjah in 2017 and by United against Karachi Kings in Dubai in 2018.

Most prolific batsman

With 929 runs at an average of 29.96 and a strike-rate of 133.28, Kamran Akmal is the most successful HBL PSL batsman to date. Zalmi’s Akmal is also the only batsman who has struck two centuries.

The most prolific foreign batsman is Australia’s Shane Watson with 684 runs at 29.73. Watson played the first two tournaments for United and the last for Gladiators.

Centuries in HBL PSL

There have been only three centuries in the HBL PSL. Two of them by Kamran Akmal and one by Sharjeel Khan of United.

Akmal scored his first hundred (104 off 65 balls) against Karachi Kings in Dubai in 2017, while his second (107 not out off 61 balls) was against Qalandars in Sharjah in 2018.

Sharjeel’s century (117 off 62 balls) was against Zalmi in Dubai in the inaugural edition and remains the highest score in the tournament.

Highest partnerships

153 runs opening stand between Watson and Sharjeel for United against Qalandars in Sharjah in the inaugural tournament remains the highest partnership for any wicket in HBL PSL to date.

The next best is by Zalmi’s pair of Mohammad Hafeez and Dawid Malan against Gladiators, also in Sharjah in 2017.

The most successful pair, however, has been Hafeez and Tamim Iqbal, who have together posted 431 runs in nine innings for Zalmi.

The most destructive batsman

The batsman with the highest strike-rate among those who have scored, at least, 200 runs in the tournament is United’s Luke Ronchi. He has piled 435 runs off 239 balls at a scoring-rate of 182.00.

Ronchi only played in the 2018 tournament and left a huge mark after clubbing 51 fours and 24 sixes.

The next most destructive batsman is Shahid Afridi, with 311 runs off 188 balls at a strike-rate of 165.42.

However, the batsman who has hit most sixes in the tournament history is Kamran Akmal (49), followed by Watson (43).

Fours and sixes

The HBL PSL is known for big hitting as fours and sixes have galore in the three events to date.

Before the first ball has been bowled in the tournament, the tournament has already produced 1892 fours and 920 sixes from the bats of some of the finest players in the world.

Kamran Akmal has hit the most fours and sixes. He has struck 85 fours and 49 sixes, a tournament record on both counts.

Shane Watson is second on the list of batsmen with most sixes – 43 - whereas Ahmed Shahzad with 74 fours is second on the list of batsmen to hit most fours.

Fastest fifties

The fastest 50 in the HBL PSL was scored off just 17 balls and came from the bat of Zalmi’s opener Kamran Akmal in the eliminator against Kings in Lahore in 2018. Akmal finished with 77 off 27 balls as Zalmi qualified for the final.

The only other batsman to score 50 in less than 20 balls is United’s Luke Ronchi. He took 19 balls to reach half-century against Kings in the Qualifier in Dubai in 2018.

Most innings without a duck

Watson has never been dismissed for a duck in the HBL PSL and holds the record for batting most innings without getting out on naught. The next batsman with most innings without a zero is Ravi Bopara, also an overseas player. Among local players, Misbah-ul-Haq and Anwar Ali both have batted 19 innings without a naught.

Most prolific bowler

The most successful bowler in the history of HBL PSL is Wahab Riaz. He has collected 48 wickets at an average of 16.50, with an economy of 6.75. The left-arm fast bowler has played all the editions for Peshawar Zalmi and was the driving force behind their title win in 2017.

The next best is United’s Mohammad Sami with 37 wickets at an economy of 6.55.

The overseas player with most wickets is Watson, bagging 22 dismissals.

Five-wicket hauls

There have been five five-wicket hauls in the HBL PSL with the first one registered by Kings’ Ravi Bopara. He finished with six for 16 runs against Qalandars in Sharjah in 2016. While four more bowlers have taken a five-for in the tournament, Bopara’s figures have not been bettered.

Shahid Afridi (Zalmi) and Mohammad Sami (United) were two other bowlers who claimed five wickets in 2016. No bowler managed a five-for in the 2017 edition whereas two, Umar Gul (Multan Sultans) and Shaheen Shah Afridi (Qalandars), pouched five-wicket hauls in 2018.

Most maiden overs

Shahid Afridi, who played the first two tournaments for Zalmi and third for Kings, has bowled five maiden overs in the PSL, which is most for any bowler. Next best is Mohammad Amir, who has delivered four scoreless overs for Kings. The tall left-arm fast bowler Mohammad Irfan has bowled three maidens for United and Sultans.

Most dismissals and catches

Zalmi’s wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal has inflicted the highest amount of dismissals behind the stumps. He has 30 dismissals (23 catches and 7 stumping).

The player who has taken most catches as an outfielder is his younger brother, Umar Akmal, grabbing 15 catches.

Most player of the match awards

Luke Ronchi may have appeared in only one season so far, but his number of player-of-the-match awards is more than anyone else. He has bagged five in 11 games in the United’s successful campaign in 2018.

Three players have bagged the award on four occasions – Zalmi’s Kamran Akmal, Gladiators’ Mohammad Nawaz and United’s Mohammad Sami.

PCB Media
    Last edited by MenInG; 29th January 2019 at 11:18.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Graeme Smith, Matthew Hayden, Ramiz Raja to call HBL PSL 2019

Morrison, Slater, Bazid, Wilkins and Wessels complete star-studded commentary line up

World-renowned production company IMG Reliance to partner with PCB for HBL PSL 2019

Hogg, Sohail and Tait on panel of studio experts for pre and post-match shows

Lahore, 30 January 2019:

A star-studded HBL PSL 2019 commentary panel including former South African captain Graeme Smith, former Australian batsman Matthew Hayden and former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja was unveiled today.

The trio joins world-famous commentators Danny Morrison, Michael Slater, Bazid Khan, Alan Wilkins and Kepler Wessels on a panel that is set to enthral viewers from around the world.

South African legend Graeme Smith, who has made his mark as an accomplished voice behind the mic since retiring from international cricket, will be making his HBL PSL commentary debut this year.

“Pakistan cricket always offers a lot of excitement and I am sure HBL PSL will be no different,” said Smith while sharing his views on joining the star-studded commentary panel.

“It’s a quality tournament and I have followed it over the past three years. The opportunity to commentate at this year’s HBL PSL is an exciting one and I look forward to watching talented cricketers from Pakistan playing alongside some leading international stars.”

Smith will be in the commentary box for the first two weeks of the tournament due to prior personal commitments.

Matthew Hayden, widely regarded as one of the most feared opening batsmen in recent history, has made his name as a commentator with stints in both international and league cricket. The former Australian opening batsman will be in the HBL PSL 2019 commentary box for the first week of the tournament.

Former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja, who has been a part of the HBL PSL journey from the very first game, makes an expected return to the 2019 commentary panel.

“HBL PSL brings with it an air of festivity, joy and celebration,” said Raja, the leading voice of Pakistan cricket.

“This year will be no different and I can’t wait to experience what the tournament has to offer this year with eight matches being held in Pakistan,” he added.

These global commentary stars will be part of an action-packed coverage of HBL PSL 2019 that will be produced by world-renowned production company IMG Reliance.

IMG Reliance is one of the major players in production of sports programming with extensive experience in producing content on behalf of rights holders, federations and leagues worldwide.

Living up to its reputation, HBL PSL 2019 will bring with it state-of-the-art and innovative coverage including Hawk-Eye, Spidercam, stump cameras, umpire cameras and analytical support from CricViz.

HBL PSL 2019 expands to five venues for the first time since the inception of the League and, keeping in view the ever-increasing fan base, the tournament broadcast comes with many additional features that also include a high profile panel of studio experts.

The coverage will include exciting pre and post match preview and review shows with resident experts including former Pakistan captain Aamir Sohail, former Australian pacer Shaun Tait and former Australian spinner Brad Hogg.

A galaxy of former and present cricket stars will assemble at the Dubai International Stadium for the grand opening ceremony on 14 February 2019 followed by four weeks of high octane and exhilarating on-field action.

PCB Media Release
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th January 2019 at 21:22.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's quite the panel, impressive!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    HBL PSL – The movers and shakers!

Lahore, 31 January 2019:

The players draft for the fourth edition of the HBL Pakistan Super League was held on 20 November 2018 in Islamabad where teams reshuffled their squads and brought in new local and overseas talent.

A number of star faces have joined the PSL 2019 for the first time, whereas many players have also moved to new franchises.

Here, we take a look at the biggest movers and shakers from the draft.
    AB de Villiers (Lahore Qalandars)

AB de Villiers, the dashing batsman from South Africa, will make his maiden appearance in the HBL Pakistan Super League. Without any surprise, he was the first pick in the draft when Lahore Qalandars pocketed him from the Platinum category.

De Villiers, who holds the record for the fastest 50 and 100 in ODI cricket, and has been extremely popular in the T20 leagues all over the world. The 34-years-old has accumulated 7144 runs at a strike-rate of 149.01 with the help of four centuries in T20 cricket.

The charismatic batsman will also make two appearances (9 and 10 March) at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, the venue where he took a memorable catch to dismiss Shahid Afridi and earn South Africa an ODI series win in 2007.

Ian Bell (Islamabad United)

Ian Bell, the top-order England batsman, was snapped up by Islamabad United as their first pick in the draft. He may have not played a T20I for over four years, but he rediscovered his T20 form in the Vitality T20 Blast in England last season when, playing for Birmingham Bears, he amassed 580 runs at an average of 48.33 and a strike-rate of 139.08.

What may have prompted United to go for him was his record against spin – he averaged 187.00 against slow bowlers in the T20 tournament at home.

Bell has fond memories of Pakistan as he was England’s top run-getter in the Test series in 2005 with 313 runs at 52.16 including a century in Faisalabad.

Colin Munro (Karachi Kings)

Karachi Kings retained the enterprising Kiwi opening batsman Colin Munro as one of their Platinum category players before the draft.

Munro was part of the Kings’ squads in the previous season as well, but could not feature in the tournament due to national duties.

With the world number-one Babar Azam already in their ranks, Kings will have a mouth-watering opening duo once Munro joins the team. The Kiwi opener has highest strike-rate (161.82) in T20 Internationals among those who have at least 1,000 runs. He has also scored four centuries in T20 cricket.

Shahid Afridi (Multan Sultans)

Multan Sultans will be the third PSL team of the flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi. The crowd’s favorite played the first two tournaments for Peshawar Zalmi and third for Karachi Kings before parting his ways from the franchise and going in the players draft.

The Sultans captain Shoaib Malik picked him from the Platinum category and will be banking on his T20 experience in the PSL 2019.

Afridi has not played a PSL match in Pakistan and the coming tournament will provide him an opportunity to entertain the home crowd. He will be coming in the tournament on the back of a fine season in Bangladesh Premier League.

The Boom Boom has taken 15 wickets at an average of 13.33 and scored 123 runs at a strike-rate of 143.02 in the ongoing tournament in Bangladesh.

Misbah-ul-Haq (Peshawar Zalmi)

The saying age is just a number fits perfectly on Peshawar Zalmi’s new recruit Misbah-ul-Haq. The 44-years-old batsman was picked by Zalmi from the Diamond category and might will captain them at some stage.

Misbah was the mastermind behind United’s two title wins in 2016 and 2018, and has scored 381 runs in the tournament. He has not played a T20 match since the last PSL, but has been an active cricketer in the domestic cricket.

The veteran batsman led SNGPL in the final of the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy this season and scored 91 and 44 not out in the final against HBL in Karachi.

Dwayne Bravo (Quetta Gladiators)

The most prolific bowler in T20 history, Dwayne Bravo, is back in the PSL after missing two seasons due to injuries. The star all-rounder featured for Qalandars in the first edition and this time will be playing for Quetta Gladiators, who picked him from the Platinum category.

Bravo recently captained Trinidad & Tobago to a title win in CPL 2018, the tournament in which he also hit five successive sixes off St Kitts’ Alzarri Joseph. He is also on his way to become the first to 500 wickets in T20s.

Due to his all-round skills, Bravo is one of the most sought after players in franchise T20 cricket. The PSL will also see him returning to Pakistan after 12 years as he played three Tests in the country in 2006.

Media Department

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    PCB Media Release : Islamabad United – The most successful HBL PSL side

Lahore, 1 February 2019:

Two-time HBL Pakistan Super League champions Islamabad United will kick off their title defence against Lahore Qalandars in the tournament opener in Dubai on February 14. The match will be played following what is expected to be a sensational and eye-catching opening ceremony.

United won the first title in 2016 and second in 2018. With 19 out of 32 wins, they have the highest win percentage (59.67 per cent) in the HBL PSL.

United have bolstered their squad for the fourth edition by picking Ian Bell of England and Welshman Phil Salt. The two will be in the action for the very first time in one of the world’s most followed and watched domestic leagues.

Bell ostensibly has been brought in to counter spin – his average against spin in T20s in 2018 was 187.00 – while Salt, who scored 433 runs at a strike-rate of 173.20 in T20s last year, will look to open the innings with Luke Ronchi or could also play the role of a power-hitter in the last phase of the innings.

If Salt opens, United will arguably have the most destructive opening pair in the tournament considering Ronchi’s performance in the previous HBL PSL. The New Zealander topped the batting charts in the last edition with 435 runs at a strike-rate of 182.00.

United, however, will miss the services of Misbah-ul-Haq, their former captain and the mastermind behind the two title wins, as he was snapped up by Peshawar Zalmi in the HBL PSL Player Draft held in Islamabad this past November.

United’s ability to bounce back from precarious situations is worth talking about. In the first HBL PSL, at one point it seemed they would even struggle to reach the play-offs, but then they won five games in a row to lift the trophy in Dubai.

A major reason behind United’s success in the HBL PSL has been their bowling. Shadab Khan, the number-two bowler in the ICC T20I Rankings, and Faheem Ashraf, the eighth-ranked fast bowler, are the two key figures in their arsenal.

Faheem was the joint-leading wicket-taker, alongside Zalmi’s Wahab Riaz, in the previous tournament with 18 wickets.

In addition to the two Pakistan line-up bowlers, United also have Samit Patel, the England all-rounder who was the best spinner in the previous HBL PSL by accounting for 13 wickets at 14.46, including two important scalps in the final against Zalmi in Karachi.

Rumman Raees, Mohammad Sami and Zafar Gohar are some other bowlers who have been vital to United’s success in the previous three tournaments.

The cricket lovers of the country and United fans will be keeping an eye on their two rookie players Rizwan Hussain and Mohammad Musa in the coming tournament.

Rizwan is an aggressive opening batsman from Lahore, who recently scored 311 runs at a strike-rate of 131.77 in the National T20 tournament in Multan, while Musa is an 18-year-old seamer from Islamabad, who came into the limelight with four wickets against India in the semi-final of the ICC U19 World Cup 2018.

United this year will also get to play at the Gaddafi Stadium for the first time as their last group game is against Lahore Qalandars on 9 March. This means their three Lahore-born players - Zafar, Rizwan and Hussain Talat - could get an opportunity to perform in front of the home crowd for the first time in HBL PSL.

Hussain Talat said: “To play in front of the home ground is every player’s dream. Lahore is my hometown and I’ll be looking to play for Islamabad United against Lahore Qalandars at the Gaddafi Stadium. I am very excited ahead of the fourth HBL PSL. It is a tournament, which is getting stronger and increasingly competitive by the day.

“It is my fourth season with the United. I must say it is a great tournament for the youngsters as we get to play along with the best players of the world, which provides us a chance to improve our cricket. I am very excited and looking forward to it.”

Squad (in pick order):

Overseas: Luke Ronchi (New Zealand), Ian Bell (England), Samit Patel (England), Phil Salt (Wales), Cameron Delport (South Africa), Wayne Parnell (South Africa), Zahir Khan (Afghanistan)

Local: Shadab Khan, Faheem Ashraf, Asif Ali, Mohammad Sami, Rumman Raees, Hussain Talat, Waqas Maqsood, Sahibzada Farhan, Zafar Gohar, Mohammad Musa, Nasir Nawaz, Amad Butt, Rizwan Hussain.

Schedule of matches:

14 February – v Lahore Qalandars (n), Dubai

16 February – v Multan Sultans (d), Dubai

17 February – v Quetta Gladiators (d), Dubai

22 February – v Peshawar Zalmi (n), Sharjah

23 February - v Karachi Kings (n), Sharjah

26 February – Multan Sultans (n), Dubai

27 February – v Karachi Kings (n), Dubai

1 March – v Peshawar Zalmi (d), Dubai

5 March – v Quetta Gladiators (n), Abu Dhabi

9 March – v Lahore Qalandars (n), Lahore

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quetta Gladiators – From underdogs to a force to be reckoned with in HBL PSL

Lahore, 5 February 2019:

Quetta Gladiators started their journey in the HBL Pakistan Super League as an underdog unit, but after three years, their winning percentage (56.66) in the league stands only behind Peshawar Zalmi (57.57) and Islamabad United (59.37).

The Gladiators’ success in the league has been built on the youth and street-smart captaincy of Sarfaraz Ahmed with Moin Khan as the coach and Sir Viv Richards as the team mentor. Such has been Gladiators’ reliance on Sarfaraz that they are the only team in the tournament which has maintained consistency in team captaincy.

Their journey in 2019 starts on the second day of the tournament with a match against the 2017 champions and last year’s runners-up, Peshawar Zalmi, in Dubai on February 15.

The Gladiators have twice got close to lifting the silverware, but they lost the finals to Islamabad United in 2016 and to Zalmi in 2017. In the first Eliminator of the 2018 event in Lahore, chasing 25 runs from the last over against Zalmi, the Gladiators fell agonisingly short of the target by just two runs.

In the coming edition, the Gladiators will be looking to seize the opportunities and make the marginal calls, that until now have gone against them, go their way.

For that to make it happen, they have beefed up their side with three new players in Dwayne Bravo, Fawad Ahmed and Sunil Narine.

Bravo (471 wickets) is the most successful bowler in T20 cricket history and will be eying to become first to 500 scalps. He had represented Lahore Qalandars in 2016, and returns to the HBL PSL after a gap of two years.

Fawad was the best bowler in the Caribbean Premier League 2018, taking 22 wickets at an economy of just 6.18. He will be making his maiden appearance in the HBL PSL.

The leg-spinner last played in Pakistan in 2009, and could be in action in his native country when the Gladiators face Karachi Kings at the National Stadium on March 10.

Narine at 6.22 has the best economy-rate in the HBL PSL history. He previously played for Qalandars in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. He might well be their candidate to open the innings with the bat.

While bowling remains the strength of Gladiators, Rilee Rossouw’s red-hot form with the bat will do them a world of good. The South Africa batsman this year has already piled up 558 runs in T20s at an average of 79.71 with a strike-rate of 150.40. His form brings a great stability the middle-order.

Shane Watson is another overseas professional, who will be joining the Gladiators on the back of fine form in the domestic cricket. Playing for Sydney Thunder, Watson scored a 61-ball century only a month ago. With 684 runs, he is also the most prolific foreign batsman in the HBL PSL.

Sarfaraz remains a key-figure behind the team’s success and waiting to make his first HBL PSL appearance in Karachi. It is a dream of every cricketer to perform in his home city and this HBL PSL will be an opportunity for Sarfaraz to ply his trade in the city where he grew up playing cricket.

“To see the HBL PSL in my home town will be a great feeling for me,”Sarfaraz said.

“I led Pakistan in three T20Is against the Windies in Karachi last year and it was heartening to see the cricket-loving crowd cheering for us at the National Stadium. I am eagerly waiting to repeat the experience as captain of Quetta Gladiators in the coming HBL PSL.”

Mohammad Nawaz, the all-rounder of Quetta Gladiators, shared his excitement at the HBL PSL when he said: “I am excited ahead of the fourth HBL PSL. I am working hard to perform well as I did in the last three seasons.

“Our new squad is more balanced and stronger. The foreign stars will be traveling to Pakistan this time which is something we missed in the previous seasons as it disturbed our team combination. I am looking forward to this HBL PSL.”

Squad (in the order of pick)

Overseas: Sunil Narine (West Indies), Dwayne Bravo (West Indies, Shane Watson (Australia), Rilee Rossouw (South Africa), Fawad Ahmed (Australia) and Harry Gurney (England)

Dwayne Smith (West Indies) is in the squad as cover for Dwayne Bravo.

Local: Sarfraz Ahmed, Sohail Tanvir, Mohammad Nawaz, Umar Akmal, Anwar Ali, Saud Shakeel, M Asghar, Danish Aziz, Ahsan Ali, Ghulam Muddassir, Ahmed Shehzad, Azam Khan, Jalat Khan, Mohammad Irfan Jr and Mohammad Hasnain.

Schedule of matches:

15 February – v Peshawar Zalmi (n), Dubai
    17 February – v Islamabad United (d), Dubai
    20 February – v Multan Sultans (n), Sharjah
    23 February – v Lahore Qalandars (d), Sharjah
    24 February – v Karachi Kings (n), Sharjah
    27 February – v Lahore Qalandars (d), Dubai
    1 March – v Multan Sultans (n), Dubai
    4 March – v Peshawar Zalmi (d), Abu Dhabi
    5 March – v Islamabad United (n), Abu Dhabi
    10 March - v Karachi Kings (d), Karachi
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 5th February 2019 at 11:27.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Players to graduate from HBL PSL to become international stars

Lahore, 7 February 2019:

The HBL Pakistan Super League has not only grown into one of the most glamourous cricket leagues in the world, it has also proven to be a platform for the next generation of cricketers to display their talent and prowess.

In this column, we look at some of the cricketers who have graduated from the HBL Pakistan Super League to become household names.

Shadab Khan (Islamabad United)

From an emerging player in HBL PSL 2017 to now becoming the vice-captain of his side for HBL PSL 2019, Shadab Khan’s story is a testimony to the fact that the League provides a great opportunity for young cricketers to perform and grow.

The spin-bowling all-rounder Shadab Khan made his mark in his maiden HBL Pakistan Super League season in 2017 after he was picked by Islamabad United as one of the supplementary players in emerging category.

The hallmark of Shadab’s performance in the HBL PSL has been his wily googlies, economical bowling spells and sharp fielding. So far, the leg-spinner has taken 18 wickets at an economy of 6.57 and scored 131 runs at a strike-rate of 125.96 in the HBL PSL.

Shadab made his international debut in all three formats in the Caribbean immediately after his first HBL PSL stint. His strongest suit at international level so far has been T20Is, in which he has taken 44 wickets, including 10 in the debut series against Windies in 2017, at an average of 18.59. Shadab is presently the second-best bowler in the ICC T20 Rankings

Shadab has represented Pakistan in five Tests, 34 ODIs and 32 T20Is and is part of the United squad as one of their three Platinum category players.

Hasan Ali (Peshawar Zalmi)

At the back of a fine 2015-16 season, Hasan Ali was picked by Peshawar Zalmi as one of their emerging players before the inaugural HBL PSL in 2016. Today, Hasan is one of the leading fast bowlers in world cricket.

Even though he played only three matches in his debut season, the young pacer from Gujranwala did enough to get noticed. His memorable spell of 3-1-13-1 earned Zalmi a crucial one-run victory against Quetta Gladiators in the Qualifier.

Hasan got a taste of international cricket soon after this as he was called up to the national squad for Pakistan’s limited overs tour to Ireland and the United Kingdom in 2016. He was Pakistan’s leading wicket-taker in the ODI series in England in 2016 with eight scalps.

Hasan returned to the country a year later and played a crucial role in Pakistan’s historic ICC Champions Trophy 2017 triumph, picking up 13 wickets at 14.69 to win the player of the tournament award.

Hasan has represented Pakistan in nine Tests, 44 ODIs and 29 T20Is for Pakistan and is part of the Zalmi squad as one of their three Platinum category players.

Hassan Khan (Quetta Gladiators/Lahore Qalandars)

The left-arm spinner Hassan Khan rose to prominence in the HBL PSL in 2017 when he made his T20 debut as an 18-year old for Quetta Gladiators. Hassan took nine wickets at 25.33 in the first tournament and bowled economical spells to guide the Gladiators to the historic HBL PSL 2017 final played in Lahore.

In the two tournaments so far, he has bowled 60.4 overs at an impressive economy of just 6.84.

Even though Hassan is still in an uncapped international player, he captained Pakistan to the semi-final of the ICC Under-19 World Cup in New Zealand. The young spinner took seven wickets at 26.85 in the tournament and bowled 44 overs at an economy of just 4.27.

Hassan moved to Lahore Qalandars as a result of a pre-season trade where he joins his Pakistan Under-19 team mate Shaheen Shah Afridi.

Shaheen Shah Afridi (Lahore Qalandars)

The left-arm fast bowler from Khyber Agency was one of the finds of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup in New Zealand in 2018, but it was not until the HBL PSL a month later when the national selectors thought he was ready to play for Pakistan.

In his first season with the Qalandars, the young Afridi featured in seven games and took as many wickets but five of them came in one match alone when he ran through a powerful Multan Sultans batting line up with a spell of five wickets for four runs in Dubai.

Few weeks later, Shaheen made his international debut in the T20I series against the Windies in Karachi and since then has played three Tests, 10 ODIs and nine T20Is for Pakistan.

The highlight of Shaheen’s career to date has been nine wickets in a three-match ODI series against New Zealand in the UAE, which earned him the player of the series award.

During the same tour, Shaheen also joined his brother Riaz Afridi in the exclusive club of players who have represented Pakistan in Test cricket when he made his debut in the Abu Dhabi Test.

This year, Shaheen is part of Lahore’s squad as a player and Brand Ambassador.

Usman Khan Shinwari (Karachi Kings)

The left-arm fast bowler made his Pakistan debut two years before the inception of HBL PSL, but will always be thankful to Pakistan’s premier T20 tournament for his international comeback.

Usman was not part of Karachi Kings’ original squad in the second HBL PSL and came in as a replacement for the injured leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed. His performance in the tournament, especially three for 32 against Zalmi in Sharjah, put him back on the selectors’ radar.

The year after, in 2018, Usman battled injury and made a successful return for the Kings. He ended up with 16 wickets in 10 matches, finishing as the highest wicket-taker for the Kings last season.

Usman made his ODI debut in 2017 and, in his very second match, rattled Sri Lanka’s top-order with figures of five wickets for 34 runs. Since then, he has accounted for 23 batsmen in ODIs at an impressive average of 17.47 and has also earned 15 caps in T20Is.

This season, Usman also had a successful stint with Melbourne Renegades –eight wickets at an economy of 6.14 – in the Big Bash League in Australia.

This year, Usman is a part of the Kings squad as one of their three Diamond category players.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In the UK, which channel will be showing the PSL?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo_14 View Post
    It's not confirmed but some sources have said Sky Sports and Hum TV

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo_14 View Post
    Hum Masala has been confirmed

Sky Sports just seems to be a rumour, no indication given at all that they will broadcast the tournament

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    418 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have not seen any thread on PSL 4 fantasy competition. @MenInG @Abdullah719

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any list of international players who have agreed to come to pakistan?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lamichhane one of the foreign debutants to watch-out for in HBL PSL 2019

Numerous overseas cricketers have reasserted their credentials by featuring in the HBL Pakistan Super League with Luke Ronchi, player of the tournament in 2018, being the prime example.

While the coming HBL PSL is a chance to shine for many budding cricketers of Pakistan, it is also an opportunity for the visiting players to prove their worth and take their T20 careers to greater heights.

In this article, we take a look at some of the players who will be aiming to play a bigger role in the HBL PSL.

Philip Salt (Islamabad United)

The 22-year-old is a wicketkeeper/batsman from Wales who plays county cricket for Sussex. Salt was Islamabad United’s third pick in this season’s HBL PSL Player Draft mainly because of his ability to score at a brisk pace.

In England’s domestic T20 competition last year, the Welshman scored 355 runs at a stunning strike-rate of 172.33 and also hit four half-centuries. He also played three T20s for Lahore Qalandars in Abu Dhabi T20 Trophy last year in October in which his scores, while batting in the lower-order, were 37 not out, 15 and 26.

Salt has also opened the innings for Sussex and, if he does same in HBL PSL 2019, United could have the most destructive opening pair in the tournament.

Liam Livingstone (Karachi Kings)

The 25-year-old captained Lancashire to the semi-final round in England’s domestic T20 competition last year, but the most glaring aspect of his performance in the tournament was his batting strike-rate. He scored 318 runs at a strike-rate of 188.16, the third highest in the competition, and also scored a 51-ball 100 against Derbyshire.

The Lancastrian was picked by Karachi Kings as one of the supplementary players, but will be available for the whole tournament.

In his most recent T20 match, he handed England Lions a win against Pakistan A in Abu Dhabi. Opening the bowling with his leg-spin, Livingstone took three top-order wickets and also scored 35 not out off 19 balls.

Sandeep Lamichhane (Lahore Qalandars)

The Nepalese spin wizard will be the only player from the ICC’s associate teams in the HBL PSL 2019. Such is his demand in franchise cricket that even though he made his T20 debut only 10 months ago, Lahore Qalandars will be his sixth team in the T20 leagues.

In the ongoing league in Australia, the 18-year-old has taken 11 wickets for Melbourne Stars at an average of 13.45 and an economy of just 6.83. The Qalandars will be hoping he carries this form to HBL PSL.

Since he will be playing alongside Yasir Shah, the Qalandars could have the best leg-spinning pair in HBL PSL 2019.

Laurie Evans (Multan Sultans)

The 31-year-old batsman from England will feature in the HBL PSL for the first time after he was picked by Multan Sultans in the silver category.

Evans was the top run-getter in England’s domestic T20 competition with 614 runs at an average of 68.22 and a strike rate of 135.84. That helped Sussex to reach the final of the tournament.

In the past 12 months, he has scored 1,258 runs at 54.69 in T20 cricket. And as recently as last month, while playing in Bangladesh Premier League, he hit his maiden T20 century.

With Steve Smith and Nicholas Pooran not available, the Sultans will be banking on his batting expertise in the coming HBL PSL.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Surprised at how many are hyping up various young talents. Have they not seen the last PSL ? Should rename it the Pakistan TTF League.

Other than IU, the youngsters don't start anywhere near enough matches.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Surprised at how many are hyping up various young talents. Have they not seen the last PSL ? Should rename it the Pakistan TTF League.

Other than IU, the youngsters don't start anywhere near enough matches.
    Reading your posts lately and all you do is hate on the PSL, perhaps it is a coping mechanism to shift blame off from Inzi.

It is not PSL's fault that Inzi selected a guy for LOI sides just because he hit 3 sixes, while his domestic average had been 15 in T20s and 20 odd in List A.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Reading your posts lately and all you do is hate on the PSL, perhaps it is a coping mechanism to shift blame off from Inzi.

It is not PSL's fault that Inzi selected a guy for LOI sides just because he hit 3 sixes, while his domestic average had been 15 in T20s and 20 odd in List A.
    You seem to have your timelines confused. Asif Ali averaged 109 at a SR of 128 with two hundreds in the 2018 Pakistan Cup.

Only after was he called up to the ODI team.

I don't hate the PSL - I just don't hype it on a par with IPL, BBL or even CPL as it's fans do, and think the quality of players produced have been patchy at best.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You seem to have your timelines confused. Asif Ali averaged 109 at a SR of 128 with two hundreds in the 2018 Pakistan Cup.

Only after was he called up to the ODI team.

I don't hate the PSL - I just don't hype it on a par with IPL, BBL or even CPL as it's fans do, and think the quality of players produced have been patchy at best.
    OK IPL I understand, but PSL quality is easily better than BBL and CPL. The products of BBL are all part of the Aus national side and they have successfully made their team into a minnow in T20s. Need I remind you the thrashing they got from Pak in UAE and from Ind in Aus (they were lucky the 2nd T20 was rained out). Less said about Windies the better.

Seems like hating on PSL is the flavour of the month.

Mein inko rolaonga

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    OK IPL I understand, but PSL quality is easily better than BBL and CPL. The products of BBL are all part of the Aus national side and they have successfully made their team into a minnow in T20s. Need I remind you the thrashing they got from Pak in UAE and from Ind in Aus (they were lucky the 2nd T20 was rained out). Less said about Windies the better.

Seems like hating on PSL is the flavour of the month.
    So a tournament where the top scorers of each edition read Umar Akmal, 37 year old Luke Ronchi and Kamran Akmal sounds like a top class competition to you ? What is the average score in the PSL compared to the other leagues ?

The only players to have come out of PSL and forged successful international careers are Sharjeel Khan, Fakhar Zaman and Hasan Ali. All of whom possessed strong A team and domestic records anyway.

The other products such as Mohammad Nawaz, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Usman Shinwari, Faheem Ashraf and Rumman Raees have been totally exposed at international level showing you the quality of this league.

West Indies are two time world champions while Australia don't take T20Is as seriously as we do.

Debut
    Nov 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any update about PSL warm up matches?

Score cards??????

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Baba View Post
    Score cards??????
    Think they are all unofficial matches and hence no one is really bothering to keep scores and all that.

Azaadi. InshAllah.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sultan Baba View Post
    Score cards??????
    Name:  1f873f54-5816-43d2-974f-5ee180b8c9b1.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  189.0 KBName:  988360d2-f0b4-4b97-b766-b1d932da23cd.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  205.1 KB

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So a tournament where the top scorers of each edition read Umar Akmal, 37 year old Luke Ronchi and Kamran Akmal sounds like a top class competition to you ? What is the average score in the PSL compared to the other leagues ?

The only players to have come out of PSL and forged successful international careers are Sharjeel Khan, Fakhar Zaman and Hasan Ali. All of whom possessed strong A team and domestic records anyway.

The other products such as Mohammad Nawaz, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Usman Shinwari, Faheem Ashraf and Rumman Raees have been totally exposed at international level showing you the quality of this league.

West Indies are two time world champions while Australia don't take T20Is as seriously as we do.
    Add Shadab and also that 18 year old phenom...That tall dude...U know
    Add Hasan Ali as you already said. That's 30 overs of Pakistan World cup bowling!!!

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Add Shadab and also that 18 year old phenom...That tall dude...U know
    Add Hasan Ali as you already said. That's 30 overs of Pakistan World cup bowling!!!
    Shadab averages nearly 40 with the ball against top sides in ODIs !

Shaheen was fast-tracked after his U19 performances.

Hasan Ali already had a strong domestic and A team record. PSL confirmed what we already knew about his ability.

The rest of the PSL products have disintegrated once they've faced top international opponents.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree to your point. But Faheem hadn't even played any PSL before making his debut for Pak. His stints for Pak got him in the PSL. The same goes for Usman Shinwari. He had already played for Pak.

Faheem was a special Inzi pick because Pak needed a fast bowling allrounder and he showed potential in FC according to him.

True about the others.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shadab averages nearly 40 with the ball against top sides in ODIs !

Shaheen was fast-tracked after his U19 performances.

Hasan Ali already had a strong domestic and A team record. PSL confirmed what we already knew about his ability.

The rest of the PSL products have disintegrated once they've faced top international opponents.
    U 19 or domestic performances don't mean much these days. You gotta capture people's attention when under the pump. PSL provides that opportunity. Shadab is pretty good and is an excellent package. Shaheen is a super star in the making.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    United’s Rizwan Hussain wants to make a name from PSL 4

PSL is all about grooming young Pakistan cricketers and maturing those who have already made their names

Dubai, 14 February 2019:

Rizwan Hussain was signed by Islamabad United a month before he dazzled in the National Twenty20 in December 2018. The 22-year-old was the second highest run-getter behind Khurram Manzoor and made an instant impression.

But the affable Islamabad official Rehan-ul-Haq spotted the talent in the left-handed batsman after watching him bat in a club match.

“I saw Rizwan play a club game,” recalls Rehan. “I inquired about him from a friend who played with Rizwan, who mentioned how good he was. Then, I shared his batting clips with Dean Jones, Hassan and all our coaching staff. Deano was immediately impressed. That’s how we picked him in the draft."

Perhaps encouraged by his inclusion in defending champions squad, Rizwan wanted to justify the decision. He scored 311 with four fifties for Lahore Blues (Khurram had 322 for Karachi) before he ran out of the steam in the semi-final against Peshawar. He will learn the importance of crucial games under Jones and the knack to score when it matters the most.

But, the tall and determined youngster impressed with his style of batting. He is not afraid to hit the ball in the air and some of his shots were eye-catching. He can square cut with aplomb and lift the ball to the long-on with comfortable ease, clearing his front leg and bend his left to steer the ball over the fence.

He hit 10 sixes in the tournament, one less than Sohaib Maqsood and only matched by Kamran Akmal.

Rizwan matured with every step and his exploits in the National Twenty20 was a reward for hard work.

Born in Pir Mahal, some 300km from capital Islamabad. Pir Mahal means the place where kings live in Urdu, and may be one day Rizwan lives up to that by reaching the top of batting charts. Rizwan opened his eyes in a modest family whose profession is agriculture.
    “My father is a Zamindar in Pir Mahal, so naturally he wanted me in that field. But once he got to know that I am interested in playing cricket, he encouraged me and told me that I can only make my name with hard work, the kind of which he himself does in the fields,” Rizwan said.

“While playing in a school game, my teacher spotted me and asked my family to send me to Lahore where I can make it big,” recalls Rizwan. “My family was a bit skeptical about that but then my father allowed me to go to Lahore where I now live in a rented house, all this away from the family to make a name for myself.”

Rizwan now has a lifetime opportunity to fulfill his dreams – play for Pakistan and the objective can be achieved in PSL 4.

“Everyone welcomed me in the Islamabad United camp. It’s a big team with a very cordial atmosphere. Dean Jones is a big help and I am sure that I will do justice to my talent.”

Rizwan has many examples to follow. Fakhar made it big from PSL as did Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shadab Khan and, above all, Hasan Ali.

“I know that PSL is the platform for youngsters, so I will do my best. I know this is the gateway to fulfill dreams. I will make my dreams come true.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    South Africa great Smith wants a strong Pakistan through HBL PSL

Dubai, 18 February 2019:

Former South Africa captain Graeme Smith believes his former team-mate AB de Villiers’s decision to participate in the HBL PSL 2019, including featuring in matches in Lahore, will set standards in bringing more big names to the league, which, in turn, will make the cricket-starved country a formidable unit.

Smith, 38, is in the United Arab Emirates as a commentator for the HBL PSL and has been impressed in the opening week of the league and the talent it has been producing over four years.

“I think the more competitive teams in the world cricket is the better and to have a better and stronger Pakistan team and the fan base there is crucial for the future of the game,” Smith told the HBL PSL 2019 website.

“It’s fantastic that AB has been able to put his weight behind Pakistan cricket,” said Smith of his colleague who joined Lahore Qalandars for his first stint at the HBL PSL.

De Villiers has promised to play two matches in Lahore scheduled for 9 and 10 March, and vowed to play his part in bringing international cricket back to Pakistan.

Smith mentioned five South Africa players becoming part of the ICC World XI, which played three Twenty20 Internationals in Lahore in September 2017.

“A few South Africa guys went to Pakistan with the ICC World XI in 2017 and having a big name like AB going to Pakistan, it will be amazing. Hopefully, it goes well and then it can set the standards in bringing more big names and more international cricket back to Pakistan.”

Smith played 117 Tests, 197 ODIs and 33 Twenty20 internationals in a glittering career. His 109 Tests as captain is a record.

Smith was pleased with the talent available at the HBL PSL.

“I have been here for few days and its been interesting to watch. Obviously, there is fair amount of talented players,” said Smith. “There are some skillful bowlers as Pakistan have always produced. It’s been great and we obviously getting to the teeth of the tournament.”

Smith observed that Pakistan’s young talent has been resilience and the character to fight.

“For me having watched Pakistan playing in South Africa for the last two months, its real excitement around some of the talent that you have, particularly Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi, who stood out,” said Smith of Babar who is world’s top-ranked T20 batsman.

Shaheen emerged on the scenes in 2017 with an eight-wicket haul in an innings on his first-class debut. The lanky paceman then became man of the series in his first ODI series against New Zealand, also played in UAE.

Since then, the 18-year-old is playing all three formats for Pakistan.

“For me the thing that stood out on the South Africa tour, although Pakistan were beaten comprehensively in the Test series, was that they kept coming back, have seen so much character than I have not seen for a long time.

“These Pakistan players are playing with good intensity, they wanted to win and that was good to see. I have seen and noticed that same attitude in the PSL.”

Reverting to the four days in HBL PSL, Smith said the matches were exciting and competitive.

“Look, there have been tough competition in this PSL. These players will learn from AB, who has been able to capture the imagination of cricket fans all around the world with the way he plays his cricket.

“It’s fantastic to have someone like him. It’s good that there are players who bring a good name to this event and creates credibility for the competition and the next things is that AB scores big somewhere in the competition. But his presence will help youngsters learn a lot of things, from playing to work ethics.”

Smith said he wishes success for the HBL PSL and hopes some more players come out of the league in the next couple of years.

Name:  174b2fa7-e31d-4114-87df-e96a5e0e60af.jpg
Views: 12934
Size:  252.8 KB

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see someone happy with the talent PSL has produced. However, I hope that with all this talk about PSL producing talent and stuff PCB doesn't forget about our FC structure as that is what makes real test cricketers. PSL is great for LO players and those who partake in PSL may even be Test standard but they need a solid FC structure to groom themselves as well as to bring out specialist FC players who know how to bat and bowl for prolonged periods of time as well as face all the other challenges with come with the longest format of the game.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    642 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    DUring the score cared they play that music. Whats the name of that music or is there a full audio of it availible?

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would like to see some Pakistan batsman working with Graeme Smith & Matthew Hayden, even if its for 60 mins. Hussain Talat, Rizwan Hussain, Faheem Ashraf and Imam-ul-Haq can learn a lot from these guys.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2019-02-18 at 15.27.07.jpg
Views: 12054
Size:  32.6 KB

HBL PSL has improved Pakistan’s T20 cricket, says Waqar Younis

Lahore, 18 February 2019:

Legendary fast bowler and former head coach Waqar Younis believes HBL Pakistan Super League has brought significant improvement in Pakistan's Twenty20 cricket and has constantly been throwing new talent to the fore.

Pakistan topped the ICC T20I rankings in November 2017 after two editions of the HBL PSL and have been the number-one side since January 2018, an improvement Waqar thinks is primarily due to the annual HBL PSL.

“I think if you look at the shorter version, you feel there are significant improvements and that are mainly due to the PSL,” said Waqar, who is the director for defending champions Islamabad United.

Waqar was Pakistan’s coach when the HBL PSL’s first edition was held in 2016. He left the job soon after Pakistan’s unsuccessful World Twenty20 campaign in India.

Waqar said HBL PSL introduces new talent for Pakistan and then its the PCB who has to take them to newer heights.

“Every PSL throws some good talent, there are some good players who have come to the fore from Islamabad United,” said Waqar of the franchise who won the inaugural event in 2016 and doubled their tally in 2018.

Islamabad United has groomed Shadab Khan, Rumman Raees, Faheem Ashraf, Sahibzada Farhan and Ammad Butt.

Waqar singled-out lanky paceman Shaheen Shah Afridi as one of the stars who matured in the PSL.

“I am very impressed with Shaheen Shah Afridi,” said Waqar of the paceman from Landi Kotal, whose five-wicket haul against Multan Sultan in 2018 caught the eyes of the selectors and current head coach Mickey Arthur.

“I think after the emergence of the players from the PSL, then PCB’s responsibility increases – to groom these players. This is a stepping stone and you see U19 players who are coming through,” said Waqar.

Islamabad United have talented U19 all-rounder Nasir Nawaz and National Twenty20 second highest run-scorer Rizwan Hussain this year who are the players to watch out for in HBL PSL 4.

“These young players are the future of Pakistan. The franchisees give them a chance, of course, the franchisees want to win but they also groom these players and after that the PCB comes and groom them.”

Waqar stressed Pakistan needs to put more focus on first-class cricket.

“What looks good, feels good, sells good,” said Waqar of the HBL PSL success.

“Our focus is more on PSL and we need to have the same focus on our first-class cricket. I keep hearing that changes are coming, sponsors are merging with the regions so, may be, after a few years we will see changes and we will start producing the kind of players for Tests as well what we have seen in the PSL.”

Waqar, who has coached in India, Bangladesh and Canada leagues – believes HBL PSL will become one of the top leagues once it is staged fully in Pakistan.

“Currently it's in the top-three,” said Waqar of the HBL PSL. “Of course, IPL is at the top, there is no doubt. PSL is getting bigger and better. The need is that one day it should fully be staged in Pakistan.

“Once it is fully staged in Pakistan, it will probably become one of the biggest leagues. This time we have eight matches in Pakistan, next year, may be, we have more than half matches in Pakistan.

“The things are rolling and in the next three years we will have the full league in Pakistan.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am the real product of HBL PSL, prides Hasan Ali

Dubai, 19 February 2019:

Three years ago, a submissive and scared Hasan Ali was thrown in the deep against an inquisitive group of journalists after he played his first game in the Pakistan Super League in Dubai.

Three years, on a confident and energetic Hasan was all smile and no fear, after he took a HBL PSL best of four for 15 against Lahore Qalandars on Sunday, one of his wickets included former South Africa great AB de Villiers.

That Hasan’s feat wrecked Lahore to 78 all out as Peshawar achieved an easy seven-wicket win at the same where Hasan played his initial matches in the HBL PSL 2016

Hasan acknowledged his journey from a scary-looking greenhorn to an ever-green mature paceman, who has made a name for himself at international level.

“Yes, I am proud to be the first product of the PSL,” acknowledged Hasan. “This was the same room when I came for the first press conference. I was frightened and nervous, but from 2016 to 2019, my journey has been great and I have earned respect and fame.

“So it’s nice to be sitting here as a mature player for Pakistan. This has been a reward for my hard work and of the confidence the PCB, the team management of Peshawar and Pakistan had reposed in me.”

Hasan managed just two wickets in three matches in 2016, but Peshawar’s head coach Mohammad Akram and the then captain Shahid Afridi liked the intensity and hunger for wickets in Hasan’s eyes.

Akram admitted Hasan impressed him with his passion for the game.

“I saw intensity and hunger in Hasan's eyes,” remembers Akram. “We nurtured him and he has worked really hard to progress this far.”

Before that first PSL, very few people had known Hasan. He first played cricket in his native town of Ladhay Wala Wraich, near Gujranwala, an area famous for producing wrestlers and kabaddi players.

Hasan’s elder brother Ataur Rehman noticed his talent at an early age and organised a gym and a pitch in the backyard of their family home.

“My elder brother was the greatest influence on my career and after a few first-class seasons, I was picked by the Peshawar franchise for the first edition of the HBL PSL,” recalls Hasan.

“I am proud that I am called a product of the HBL PSL. Shadab and Faheem were also groomed in the HBL PSL and this is an ideal platform for the youngsters in the future as well.”

So, how was he picked in the first place?

“I was watching the draft with my brother. I was the last player picked in the emerging category and I was watching it with a bated breath. When my name was announced, I hugged my brother and we were on cloud nine,” recalls Hasan.

In 2013, Hasan made his first-class debut for Sialkot against Lahore and took five wickets and scored 27 runs in his team’s innings win over a formidable opponent.

But his progress started after the HBL PSL.

Hasan made his ODI debut against Ireland in August in 2016 and never looked back. He was the leading wicket-taker in 2017 and rose to new heights with his 13 wickets in Pakistan's ICC Champions Trophy triumph, when Pakistan beat arch-rivals India in the final at The Oval.

He became the joint-third fastest bowler to claim 50 ODI wickets with the mark achieved in 23 matches, the same number as Australian icon Dennis Lillee and four games fewer than legendary Pakistan fast bowler Waqar Younis.

“HBL PSL helped me a lot in grooming as a player. When I played my first international game, I had no pressure because I had already played against top players of the world in the HBL PSL,” admits Hasan.

Hasan feels playing all three formats for Pakistan is a great honour.

“Its an honour to play for Pakistan in all three formats, and I am 24, so this is the right time to play for Pakistan. I am fit and want to play as much cricket for Pakistan as possible,” said Hasan.

Of his four wickets against Lahore the best was of AB.

“For a bowler, if you get one wicket or five wickets, all are good but against Lahore, my favourite wicket was AB de Villiers and that was the best moment for me.”

Hasan said his message to the youngsters is to work hard and hard, and use the HBL PSL as a “stepping stone.”

“I rose from the PSL, so this is the right platform. My advice to all the young players would be to make use of this platform and make your way to the top. They can take my example.”

Name:  3fe1b799-c005-4e0a-85e8-eca7dd078ebc.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  111.8 KB

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Table-toppers Quetta target Multan as HBL PSL resumes on Wednesday

Dubai, 19 February 2019:

Unbeaten Quetta Gladiators will aim to keep an unblemished record when they meet Multan Sultan as HBL Pakistan Super League 2019 action shifts to Sharjah on Wednesday.

The Sarfaraz Ahmed led Quetta – twice runners-up in three HBL PSL editions – are looking in no mood to relent as they target the elusive title with their never-say-die approach, under the astute coaching of former Pakistan captain Moin Khan.

It is remarkable how Moin has transformed a squad what does not have any iconic names but play with a winning spirit and determination.

Quetta thumped arch-rivals Peshawar in their first match of HBL PSL 4, keeping them to 155 for four, courtesy some tight bowling led by left-arm spinner Mohammad Nawaz, who finished with two for 25 in his four overs. Umar Akmal, former Pakistan batsman, determined to regain his place in the national team, then batted in a punishing style as he took Quetta over the line with a polished and eye-catching 50-ball 75 not out laced with three sixes and seven boundaries.

Quetta’s next victim was Islamabad United who they beat more convincingly by seven wickets. This time left-arm paceman Sohail Tanvir, who rocked the title-holders with a prized wicket of Luke Ronchi off the very first ball of the match, finishing with four for 21. Pakistan origin Australian leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed chipped in with three for 15.

Although Islamabad managed to reach 157 for eight, it didn't prove much for Quetta who rode on Shane Watson’s aggressive 55-ball 81 not with four sixes and six boundaries and another commanding 28-ball 44 (two sixes and five boundaries) by Umar Akmal to seal the win with 10 balls to spare.

Multan Sultans had mixed fortunes in the first two games they have played to date, losing to Karachi Kings before staging a recovery with a win against Islamabad.

Multan did give Karachi a scare before going down by seven runs in a match highlighted by a new HBL PSL opening stand between Karachi openers Liam Livingstone (82) and Babar Azam (77). Multan fought hard in the chase of 184 with skipper Shoaib Malik (28-ball 52 with two sixes and five boundaries) and Laurie Evans (39-ball 49 with seven fours), but in the end a last over target of 16 proved beyond their tail-enders’ reach.

Multan then showed their bowling prowess against Islamabad, restricting them to 125 for seven with newcomer Ali Shafiq (two for 11), evergreen Shahid Afridi (two for 18) and hardworking Junaid Khan (two for 33) sharing the spoils. Shoaib Malik then anchored the chase with a solid 29-ball 31, but it was Shahid Afridi who sealed the win with two sixes.

Multan will hope they win the toss and break Quetta’s dominance of fielding first and then chasing a target. But if Quetta captain Sarfaraz Ahmed is once again lucky with the toss, then it will be tough for Multan.

Upcoming matches:

Wednesday (match 8) – Multan Sultans v Quetta Gladiators, Sharjah (match starts 9pm PST)

Thursday (match 9) – Karachi Kings v Peshawar Zalmi, Sharjah (match starts 9pm PST)

Friday (match 10) – Lahore Qalandars v Multan Sultans, Sharjah (match starts 430pm PST)

Friday (match 11) – Islamabad United v Peshawar Zalmi, Sharjah (match starts 9pm PST)

Points table
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  15.5 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th February 2019 at 16:53.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Hayden impressed with fast bowling talent in HBL PSL

Sharjah, 20 February 2019:

Former Australia great Mathew Hayden has shown great delight in watching exciting talent of fast bowling in the ongoing HBL Pakistan Super League and singled-out Lahore Qalandars' Haris Rauf as one for the future.

Hayden is here to commentate on the HBL PSL matches and was impressed with Rawalpindi-born Lahore’s 25-year-old Rauf, who took a match winning four for 23 in Lahore’s 23-run win over Karachi Kings in Dubai on Saturday.

Hayden said he particularly enjoyed the fast bowling talent.

“In particular I have enjoyed the fast bowling talent in this PSL,” Hayden told www.psl-t20.com.

“The talent of the players, guys like Haris Rauf, to be discovered from basically non-traditional development programme and then come to the high level and performing and showing his talent at a higher level, is amazing,” he said.

Rauf is regarded as the latest Rawalpindi Express (Shoaib Akhtar was first called Rawalpindi Express for his express bowing) after discovered in a talent hunt camp in Gujranwala in September 2017. He was later part of the Lahore’s development tour to Australia.

Rauf said he loves to bowl fast and his primary goal is to play for Pakistan after good showing in the HBL PSL.

Hayden, who briefly held the record for the highest Test score of 380 he made against Zimbabwe at Perth in 2003, reckons Rauf could be a fear factor for Pakistan at the international level.

“He (Rauf) is kind of opposition side’s fear for Pakistan. That unknown factor because the reality is that there may be a bunch of fast bowlers who could not have been recognised in Pakistan cricket and to come to the fore in the PSL is amazing.

“There have been a couple of wrong footed bowlers and the proliferation of left-arm fast bowlers (in Pakistan), we have a couple of left-armers in Australia. That side (of exploring the fast bowlers' talent) stands out for me.”

Hayden, who played 103 Tests, 161 ODIs and nine T20Is in a glittering career, said getting a connection with Pakistan cricket excites him.

“Its been good for me personally (exposure in the HBL PSL) as I had little connection with Pakistan cricket. I never toured Pakistan and only ever seen them on the neutral territories in Sri Lanka and UAE (in 2002).”

Hayden believes the main objective through HBL PSL is to get international cricket back to Pakistan.

“Its hard to say how the HBL PSL has been compared to other leagues as I have been to one venue for just four days,” opined Hayden. “But the beauty of the PSL is that they do explore the new talent.

“The ultimate goal, however, for Pakistan cricket is to get cricket back to Pakistan. I am not going to Pakistan because of my prior commitments but the goal should be to bring cricket back to Pakistan.”

Hayden believes Twenty20 cricket is growing in popularity.

“The way that cricket is set up, there is no question that there is too much cricket. But having said, that I am not sure that its an invective blow on one of the formats of the game.

“The reality is that T20 cricket is a growing product and is growing interest in the game across the broader demographic of the game as well and that has the ability to be able to cannibalise the effect of the other formats of the game.”

Name:  ea7cc0f2-026d-4e61-9357-7891e52f7e10.jpg
Views: 6989
Size:  97.2 KB

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    U.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly thought Hayden thought that pakistanis are overrating Rauf by the way he was responding to Zainab's questions.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Karachi Kings take on Peshawar Zalmi in HBL PSL on Thursday

Sharjah, 20 February 2019:

Karachi Kings and Peshawar Zalmi will square off against each other in Sharjah on Thursday in the ninth match of the HBL Pakistan Super League. Both the sides have played two matches each, winning one and losing one.

Kings outlasted Multan Sultans in their opening game in Dubai on Friday by a narrow seven-run margin before going down to arch-rivals Lahore Qalandars in their second game as they failed to chase a modest 139-run target.

In contrast, Zalmi, champions of the 2017 HBL PSL, lost to Quetta Gladiators by six wickets before defeating Lahore by seven wickets to stage a comeback in the fourth edition of the league.

Karachi Kings will be weighing the option of drafting Australia’s fast bowler Aaron Summers who has the ability to bowl at 150kph on a regular basis, replacing the generous Sohail Khan who went for two for 57 in his four overs in the first match and 29 in the next, without taking a wicket.

Peshawar has a well-tuned pace attack, comprising of Hasan Ali, Wahab Riaz, Umaid Asif and Sameen Gul who can run through the best of batting line-ups with their wicket taking ability as they did against Lahore in Dubai. Hasan led the rout of Lahore for just 78 with four for 15 while Wahab fetched three for 17.

Peshawar will be sweating on the fitness of Misbah-ul-Haq who missed the last game against Lahore with a slight hamstring injury, as they would seek stability in the middle-order with dashing opener Kamran Akmal also failing in the Lahore game. For Peshawar, Umar Amin hit a brilliant 61 not out in the modest run-chase against Lahore.

Peshawar team management said Misbah's injury is not serious and will be assessed before the match.

Karachi Kings will also hope their star openers –Liam Livingstone and Babar Azam – regained their form which saw them set a new HBL PSL record for the first wicket with a magnificent 157-run stand against Multan in their opening game. They both were unimpressive in the defeat against Lahore.

Karachi’s spearhead Mohammad Amir will also hope he gets the same wicket-taking bite after getting HBL PSL personal best of four for 25 against Multan before getting just one against Lahore.

Both Karachi and Peshawar have exciting spinners.

Karachi’s FATA born Umer Khan has impressed in the two games, taking the prized wicket of Qalandars’ AB de Villiers, while Zalmi’s leggie Ibtisam Sheikh had made his mark last year and was impressive in his only outing against Lahore, grabbing two for 14 in his four overs.

The two promising spinners will be encouraged by the Sharjah wicket as it is expected to be helpful for the spinners.

Thursday’s fixture:

Thursday (match 9) – Karachi Kings v Peshawar Zalmi, Sharjah (match starts 9pm PST)

Name:  91034166-c3ee-4e2f-99c7-bf1f5e7e8843.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  65.0 KB

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a_tahir View Post
    I honestly thought Hayden thought that pakistanis are overrating Rauf by the way he was responding to Zainab's questions.
    He doesnt get overexited, like most sensible human beings.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    He doesnt get overexited, like most sensible human beings.
    He is as plastic as it gets. Make no mistake.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    But not a single batting talent which is worse.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    King Richards believes more HBL PSL matches in Pakistan the better

Sharjah, 22 February 2019:

Perhaps the biggest catch in the history of the HBL PSL tournament was by Quetta Gladiators who brought West Indian great Sir Isaac Vivian Alexander Richards as the motivator.

When the master blaster of the past sits in the dug-out of the Gladiators, the players get induced to fight till the last ball, a trait the Antiguan great had in him to the core.

Richards believes the fight Pakistan cricket has had to do since international cricket was suspended at home in 2009 will get over with more and more matches in the country and before the cricket-mad people.

“What I think is quite encouraging is that I saw the West Indies women’s team toured Pakistan,” said Richards of the West Indies’ Eves touring Karachi for a three T20I series against Pakistan women.

“Before that, the West Indies men’s team came (in March last year). Some of the HBL PSL matches were taken to Pakistan and, to me, that had more volume and the more I think that's done, the better. I think it would be for Pakistan cricket.”

Since March 2009, Pakistan have hosted Zimbabwe, an ICC World XI, Sri Lanka and the West Indies (men’s and women’s teams). The final of the HBL PSL in March 2017 was played in Lahore, while three matches were held in 2018, including the final in Karachi. In the fourth edition, eight matches are scheduled for Pakistan.

Richards, adored in the cricketing world in general and in Caribbean in particular for his bashing of the bowlers at will, feels there is no substitute of playing before your own people.

“To be honest, no one wants to be playing in exile all their lives,” said Richards referring to Pakistan playing at the neutral venues of United Arab Emirates.

“Every team wants to be playing in front of their home fans and getting the support from the home crowds and that, to me, is always essential.”

Richards reckons HBL PSL is one of the top leagues, for its ability to throw more and more talented players every year.

“It’s been great,” remarked Richards, who played 121 Tests and 187 one-day internationals during his glorious career including two World Cup triumphs in 1975 and 1979.

“To me it (HBL PSL) is one of the most important T20 tournaments that is played and why I say this is that the players that come to play in this tournament are some of the best players in my opinion and that makes it one of the biggest events.”

Richards praised the fast bowling talent that comes to the fore from every edition of the HBL PSL since its inception in 2016.

“Ever since my arrival here, I have seen the potential in terms of, not just basically the magnificent batsmen that the PSLs have produced, but what I know for sure, especially in the fast bowling department.

“Some of the fast bowlers could be loaned out to many teams around the world and that makes the HBL PSL and good tournament, a talent producing factory.

“This tournament is particularly good in finding some of these young talented players and that serves the purpose of a league.”

Richards singled out former Quetta spinner Hassan Khan as a player for the future.

“There are so many young individuals but I could only speak for the young players who are from the Gladiators. Mohammad Nawaz is one. Then Hassan Khan, I like his energy and especially when he hit the winning runs in one of the matches last year.

“He is not with us anymore but I always liked his attitude, his energy and particularly at this young age,” said Richards of Hassan who is now playing for Lahore Qalandars in HBL PSL 4.

“I liked the way he hit that huge winning six off Kieron Pollard, it was just magnificent. I just hope that he continues. I love Ahsan Ali (new Quetta opener), to me he is a good competitor and is hugely talented.”

Asked about his trips to Pakistan for HBL PSL and the Quetta family, Richards turns to the typically Caribbean swagger: “Oh man! It’s been special.

"Ever since I have been here, you couldn’t ask for anything more. I liked the camaraderie, especially this year the recruitment process and seen the magnificent talent which you guys have assembled for us to compete in this fourth HBL PSL.

“Its just great for me to be here, with people you have a lot of respect for and people who in return have respect for you. The Quetta family, to me, is one of the better families where T20 cricket is concerned.”

Richards said he was looked after very well in Pakistan on his two trips for the HBL PSL.

“They have been great, can’t complain. Apart from being associated with the cricket and HBL PSL, I played golf and had a great time. I visited houses of friends and the team owner’s house and had a good party in Karachi and I am looking forward to it again.”

Name:  aece98f2-7f3c-4d4c-980f-5114c83d2d0c.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  234.4 KB

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure why Shoaib Malik thinks its ok to turn up to every toss not knowing the names of the players in his side. Very unprofessional attitude. Rightly being blasted by the studio panelists for this.