Mar 2018
    Venue
    new delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cringe worthy by viv but understandable since no other t20 league will touch him , he does need to earn his daily bread

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon751 View Post
    cringe worthy by viv but understandable since no other t20 league will touch him , he does need to earn his daily bread
    No respect for legends lol.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Venue
    new delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    No respect for legends lol.
    just facts bro

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Gladiators’ Rossouw says playing HBL PSL in Pakistan was a lifetime joy

Sharjah, 23 February 2019:

Former South Africa batsman Rilee Rossouw will cherish for a lifetime his visit to Pakistan for last year’s play-offs and hopes to anchor Quetta Gladiators to the title in the HBL PSL this year.

The 29-year-old, who played 36 ODIs and 15 T20Is in a fine career before settling in England, is a regular for Sarfaraz Ahmed-led Quetta Gladiators team and was part of the Quetta side which featured in the play-offs in Lahore last year.

Rossouw said he wants to play more games in Pakistan.

“It was a fantastic trip and the one I would cherish for lifetime,” Rossouw said.

“The people in Pakistan are fanatic about cricket and they love the game. It was great that cricket was being played there and, hopefully, things turn out very well again this year as well and we play some more games in Pakistan.”

After the final in Lahore in 2017, two play-offs and the final were held in Lahore and Karachi in 2018. Eight matches are scheduled this year.

Fresh from his stint with Rangpur Riders in the Bangladesh Premier League where he was top on the most runs chart with 558 in 14 matches with a whopping strike rate of 150, Rossouw hit a match-winning 67 not out against Multan Sultans to give his team a third win in as many games.

Rossouw reckons HBL PSL in among the top leagues in the world.

“Around the world, it’s (HBL PSL) pretty up there. If not the best, definitely the second best. The competition is very high and its good to be part of the HBL PSL,” said Rossouw, who also plays T20 in IPL, England and South Africa.

Rossouw said he is very excited to play more games in Pakistan.

“Yeah, like I said, I am very excited to be playing cricket again in Pakistan. Hopefully, the team goes further and gets a silverware and this (first leg) is a process to that so, hopefully, we get over that final hurdle this time around.”

Rossouw hoped the runners-up in 2016 and 2017 HBL PSL will win the elusive title.

“If you look at the side through the years, we have the most balanced side this year..,” said Rossouw of the team.

“I am not saying that the players before did not do enough, they were capable of lifting the trophy, but this year we have extra chance of winning it. So, we need to just do what we do well and focus on that and hopefully the results will come.”

One last request Rossouw has about food in Pakistan, it needs to be less spicy!

“Ha, ha ..... I think the food can improve a little bit. My stomach wasn’t too well last year when I got there, so I am pretty sure that it will be different this time around,” hoped Rossouw.

Name:  9e5e2b41-c7ee-4aa8-b2f1-c8ed45ce9ce9.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  226.8 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th March 2019 at 17:57.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Last-ball six hitter Wiese wants full houses in HBL PSL

Sharjah, 23 February 2019:

It was exhilarating for former South Africa all-rounder David Wiese to bat in a fully-packed Sharjah Cricket Stadium.

More so, he came out as one of the heroes in the win for Lahore Qalandars, reviving 33-year-old memories of the last-ball six at this iconic venue, achieved by Pakistan great Javed Miandad.

Needing three off the final delivery against Multan Sultans, Wiese sent the ball sailing over long-off boundary. He finished with 45 not out – all with five sixes – and added a match-winning 96 for the unbroken fifth wicket stand with his more illustrious partner AB de Villiers.

Wiese said it was electrifying to hit the winning six with a packed house chanting for Lahore.

“The crowd was fantastic and gives you that little bit more energy and it’s always nice to play before a packed crowd,” said Wiese. “It gives you energy and hopefully it remains the same in this PSL.”

Wiese, who could not do much for Karachi Kings in his earlier HBL PSL stints, said he was confident of hitting a last ball six.

“As a bowler, you feel under pressure, so I know that you can go for a six (as bowler) so in that situation you feel confident. I was hitting the ball nicely and it came off well,” said Wiese of his six against Australian Dan Christian.

Wiese reckons batting with a great like AB de Villiers is always a pleasure.

“AB and I have batted so many times in the IPL and for South Africa, and it’s nice to bat with him, he is calm and supportive,” said Wiese, who played six ODIs and 20 T20Is for his country.

“I think AB does what he does, he is very skilled and is always step ahead of the bowler and he knows what is coming and keeps them under pressure.”

Wiese believes AB is a calm and skilled captain, leading Lahore after regular captain Mohammad Hafeez fractured his thumb and ruled out of the HBL PSL.

“I think AB is one of those captains who doesn't like to speak too much. He doesn’t complicate things, he believes in having a clear planning in his mind and just want you to try to execute your skill as much as possible.

“With him as captain you have that calmness and he backs his players hundred percent and that’s good for the players.”

Name:  dcfd5556-0a78-425f-9a00-f59c5780ccee.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  117.1 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd February 2019 at 19:43.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quetta rules the roost in HBL PSL 4 as excitement grows

Dubai, 25 February 2019:

The HBL PSL 4 has it all, from high drama last-ball sixes to narrow wins and from hat-trick to rattling of stumps and brilliant catches.

The excitement is reaching at acme after all six teams completed five matches each in the first phase of the Twenty20 league which completed in Sharjah on Sunday.

Quetta Gladiators, living up to its reputation of fighters, are ruling the table with eight wins in five games and it needed an extra-ordinary innings from Colin Ingram to stop the juggernauts. Ingram hit the highest-ever individual score to date of 127 off just 59 balls, spiced up with eight sixes and 12 boundaries to lit up the tournament big time.

The first phase had also livened up with two exciting last-ball finishes. Lahore Qalandars outlasting Multan Sultans on Friday with a six by former South Africa all-rounder David Wiese. Very next day Wiese was at the receiving end, conceding a last-ball six to Quetta and Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed.

Throughout the first phase, the Gladiators have proved to be a balanced side. They have set plans under an astute coach in Moin Khan and lively captain in Sarfaraz – bowl first, restrict the opponents and then chase with authority whatever comes their way.

Quetta’s top-order comprising three former players of their countries – Australia’s Shane Watson, South Africa’s Rilee Rossuw and Pakistan’s Umar Akmal – were on fire in most of the matches. Both Watson and Umar have hit two half-centuries to enable Quetta win by six, seven and eight wickets respectively.

Umar is at the top of most runs chart with 200, followed by Watson on 186. Rossouw has 157 with one fifty and that defines how good Quetta's batting is.

One-time winners Peshawar Zalmi are second on the chart, primarily due to their fast bowling strength.

Zalmi's Pakistan pacer Hasan Ali has so far stood out, taking wickets in his first over in three matches to jolt the best of batting. Hasan has three four-fors in five games which has fetched him 15 wickets and first place in bowlers’ list.

Wahab Riaz, Sameen Gul and Umaid Asif further give firepower to Zalmi's bowling, while England's left-arm spinner Liam Dawson is an asset as he can also smash the ball to all corner while batting.

Zalmi, though, are waiting for dashing opener Kamran Akmal, who only has one score of 49 to show in HBL PSL 4.

Islamabad United, third on the table, again had mixed fortunes. The defending champions started the tournament with a thumping five-wicket win against Lahore Qalandars. But, they then lost to Multan Sultans and Quetta in their next two games as batting let them down.

It needed a patient half-century from Ian Bell and a hat-trick by skipper Mohammad Sami to revive Islamabad’s fortunes as they thumped Peshawar by 12 runs to return to winning ways. Luke Ronchi then smashed a fiery half-century to help Islamabad beat Karachi in their last game.

Islamabad will next meet Multan in Dubai on Tuesday. Multan are badly in need of a victory as they are lying in sixth and last place, so the title holders can expect a backlash from their opponents.

Lahore Qalandars are on fourth after some mixed fortunes. They lost the opening game to Islamabad but did not take long to register a win – that too against old rivals Karachi. Lahore’s newest pace sensation Haris Rauf grabbed four wickets while Rahat Ali (three) and Shaheen Shah Afridi (two wickets) were equally destructive.

Lahore found Peshawar bowling too hot to handle as Hasan (four for 15), Wahab (three for 17) and leg-spinner Ibtisam Sheikh (two for 14) wrecked them for a low total of 78. De Villiers and Wiese brought them back on track against Multan before Sarfaraz snatched a last-ball six to leave Lahore with four points in five games.

Karachi finally fired and returned to the old winning ways with that Ingram masterclass.

They won their first game by a narrow seven-run margin against Multan with half-centuries from Liam Livingstone and Babar Azam, but in their next three matches, they failed to score a single fifty.

Their pace attack comprising of Mohammad Amir, Usman Shinwari and Sohail Khan had failed – all taking wickets but containing runs. Amir recorded his best HBL PSL figures of four for 25, but has since taken just three wickets. Sohail has been a major flop while Usman too was wayward and expensive.

Lastly, despite having big names in Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi and Andre Russell, Multan Sultan have been unimpressive. Other than Malik and one innings from Vince, Multan’s batting has left a lot to be desired and so has their bowling.

The first phase of HBL PSL has once again thrown some exciting talent.

Islamabad’s Mohammad Musa and Multan’s Ali Shafiq have impressed with their wicket-taking abilities. Musa took three for 25 on his HBL PSL debut to announce his arrival and was again threatening against Karachi with figures of one for 28.

Shafiq was man of the match on his debut against Islamabad with two for 11 in his four overs.

The rise of Karachi Kings’ left-arm spinner Umer Khan is a story in itself as he graduated from Under-19 to HBL PSL from a humble background. Umer picked up two wickets against Lahore, including the prized wicket of AB de Villiers.

Pakistan regular in Tests and ODIs, Imam-ul-Haq, has also made his presence felt in the HBL PSL with two half-centuries.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pakistan and HBL PSL are always welcoming, says Sammy

Dubai, 25 February 2019

No other foreign player has become a household name in Pakistan through HBL Pakistan Super League than the double ICC World Twenty20 winning West Indies captain Daren Sammy.

So popular is the Peshawar Zalmi captain that the Zalmi fans call him Daren Sammy Khan, a common surname in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, from where the Zalmi team belongs.

Sammy was overwhelmed by the love he got when he shrugged off security fears to come and play for the HBL PSL franchise in the 2017 final.

His reward was a HBL PSL trophy, but more than that the love of the people in Pakistan enamoured Sammy. He led Zalmi - standing for injured Shahid Afridi – to a win over Quetta Gladiators in the final held in Lahore.

“I feel honored and I think that it is just the love of the people of Pakistan for me that has come through PSL and it’s a lifetime treasure,” Sammy said.

“I am deeply touched by this notion and I will continue to visit Pakistan.”

Just before the HBL PSl 4 started in UAE, Sammy was in Peshawar for the launch of the team kit and also visited Army Public School to show solidarity to the families of those kids killed in a terror tragedy in December 2014.

“Zalmi family feels like my own family and the love they have given me has always been overwhelming for me. Pakistan is always welcoming and I appreciate the fact that the people of Pakistan treat me as one of their own," said Sammy, who played 38 Tests, 126 ODIs and 68T20Is for the West Indies.

The biggest honour he received in his career was in 2012 when he led the West Indies team to the ICC World Twenty20 title in Sri Lanka. He was awarded OBE in his native St Lucia and the cricket ground was named after him.

He was again the captain when West Indies regained the title in India in 2016.

Sammy, who also played in the IPL and the CPL, places the HBL PSL among the top leagues in the world, primarily for its talent production.

“I see HBL PSL as one of the best leagues in the world as it has become such a big brand in such a short span of time. It is always a treat to play in the PSL,” said Sammy.

“PSL has provided great emerging cricketers to Pakistan as well as the world. Players who perform in PSL also get picked in other International leagues. Ibtisam Sheikh and Sameen Gul are the players to look-out for in Zalmi.”

Sheikh is a bespectacled leg-spinner of quality, while Sameen is a burgeoning fast bowler.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ronchi praises wealth of talent in HBL PSL

Dubai, 26 February 2019:

Dashing Islamabad United opener Luke Ronchi has praised the wealth of talent at display in the HBL Pakistan Super League and cherished his match-winning knock in last year’s final in Karachi which lifted his franchise to the second title in three years.

Ronchi, who is one of the very few players to have played for two nations – his native New Zealand and Australia – topped last year’s batting chart with 435 runs in 11 innings at a whooping strike-rate of 182.

Before a packed Karachi crowd, Ronchi compiled a dashing 52 off 26 balls with five sixes and four fours to lift Islamabad to a three-wicket win over Peshawar Zalmi.

“PSL has been great fun,” Ronchi said. “It is a tough competition with a good wealth of local talent.

“I get enjoyment out of meeting new people and trying to help guys have a great experience being in different leagues. I am also there to have fun playing a sport I love,” said Ronchi who retired from international cricket in June 2017.

Since then, he has been playing in the Twenty20 leagues around the world. Ronchi said he enjoyed a visit to Pakistan.

“It was a great experience,” said Ronchi of the visit in March last year. “Firstly, as it was the final, secondly because we won, and thirdly because we all got to go there and give a great performance in front of a great crowd that love and support the game so well.

“I had been to Pakistan about 10 years ago so I knew what to expect. The best part was the support everyone got from the local fans.”

Ronchi believed HBL PSL matches were helping in bringing international cricket back to Pakistan.

“It’s a great experience being in Pakistan and great to take cricket back there and for all teams to put on such a great spectacle.”

This year, Ronchi has struck form in two of the five matches, scoring 67 not out in a win over Karachi Kings and 51 vs Multan Sultans.

Playing for twice champions Islamabad has been a fun for Ronchi.

“Playing for Islamabad has been great fun. Great people throughout the whole franchise. Always fun playing for a winning team. It is always a great feeling winning and they group here are amazing, everyone really enjoys each other’s company and love it when someone has a great performance in our games.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    HBL Pakistan Super League player replacement update

Dubai, 26 February:

West Indies batsman Lendl Simmons and England pacer Tymal Mills will be joining Peshawar Zalmi as replacement players for Dawid Malan and Chris Jordan, respectively.

Both Malan and Jordan have been picked for the England T20I squad for their series against the Windies.

Simmons and Mills will be arriving in Dubai tomorrow (27 February).

Lahore Qalandars have included former Netherlands batsman Ryan ten Doeschate as a cover, Doeschate will also be arriving in Dubai tomorrow.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Former New Zealand fast bowler Danny Morrison, one of the most lively and respected voices in cricket, believes HBL Pakistan Super League has helped Pakistan immeasurably, throwing and maturing talent to the hilt.

The 53-year-old, a regular part of commentary teams to all parts of the cricketing world, including the HBL PSL, singled-out Shadab Khan as a player who has matured from the Pakistan league.

“PSL has helped Pakistan cricket immeasurably,” Morrison said “Particularly, when you look at the talent available, particularly the raw talent, it’s great.”

Morrison, who played 48 Tests and 96 ODIs, said HBL PSL has been helpful for Pakistan cricket.

“There are a lot of discussions with the Pakistan players on how you need to improve the pitch standards, got to get a better structure and all cost money and then you are playing away from home, but with all that PSL has helped and thrown talent.

“The franchisees have benefited, the players have benefited by rubbing shoulders with some big international players. There are other franchise-based tournaments, which have also helped young talent emerge and benefit.”

Morrison praised the development of Shadab, Pakistan’s leg-spinner who is now captaining Islamabad United after regular skipper Mohammad Sami got injured.

“The development of Shadab, he is now doing captaincy, is significant. I am really impressed with Rumman Raees, a bit of bouncing back in terms of fitness,” said Morrison of Rumman who had a year-long lay-off due to injury.

“Then guys like Musa Khan making his debut, he is very exciting,” said Morrison of the Islamabad United newest pace sensation. “Babar (Azam) bursting onto the scene and his skills with the white ball have developed in the PSL.”

Babar is the world’s number-one ranked batsman which has synchronised with the HBL PSL.

“Faheem Ashraf maturing with the ball in the hand, the redemption and allowance of Mohammad Amir to come back into international cricket; it’s good for Pakistan cricket.

“I am targeting pace here, obviously, but I think that is where Pakistan's strength lies. There are more than few who have been unearthed in the PSL.”

Morrison praised the standards of play in the HBL PSL.

“I missed the first one,” said Morrison of the first edition in 2016. “I love this part of the world and have a lot of Pakistani fans. There is a great standard of the game and it’s attracting big names. I think there is a great standard of cricket. I am looking forward to coming back to Pakistan.

“I was there in October 2017 for the Sri Lanka Twenty20.”

Morrison recalls the 1990 tour of New Zealand to Pakistan.

“I was there in 1990. It was a tough gig, it was a young side as Martin Crowe had taken over from John Wright and few senior pros did not come. It was a changing of guards with Richard Hadlee just finished in England and we were up against a very good Pakistan attack so we were run-over.

“The two Ws and Aaqib Javed were great,” said Morrison of Pakistan's pace attack of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Aaqib Javed. “Then they had Abdul Qadir and good spin bowling of balance. So, we were run-over there. Then I came back in 1996 for the World Cup but did not last long with a groin injury.

“I have enjoyed my visits to Pakistan. It was always tough for fast bowlers. I have always been pleasantly surprised at how clean and organized the streets are in Lahore. Obviously, Karachi is different with it being down by the coast, a bit of wild at times. But good to see people come out and watch cricket.”

Asked how he would have fared in Twenty20 cricket, Morrison termed it a big challenge for fast bowlers.

“It would have been a challenge. You need to get your yorkers, I quite liked watching the two Ws get that right in early 90s, they had that ball and were always searching for that.

“It’s a go-to-ball, any bowler could have been smashed on the day, but I would have loved to play T20s.”

Name:  4ea6ad3f-9740-4db5-9b2e-80ab405f9c05.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  168.9 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Iftikhar hopes his run-scoring will earn him more rewards

Dubai, 2 March 2019:

Karachi Kings’ middle-order batsman Iftikhar Ahmed hopes his run-scoring will earn him more rewards in the coming days. The 28-year-old from Peshawar, a top-run scorer at domestic level, scored a match winning 33 not out with two sixes and as many boundaries to help his side chase down a 134-run target against Lahore Qalandars in Dubai on Thursday.

Iftikhar, who has played one Test, two ODIs and a single T20I for Pakistan, hopes more chancesat the top level will come his way.

“If you look at my record, I am among the three top scorers in Pakistan,” said Iftikhar. “My job is to perform and it’s the selectors' job to select. I hope more rewards will come my way.”

The unassuming batsman scored 351 runs in the 2016-17 National One-Day Tournament at an average of 58.50, while his tally in the 2017-18 One-Day Cup was 236 runs at 59.00 in seven matches.

“I played one Test and batted only once,” said Iftikhar of the 2016 The Oval Test which Pakistan won to level the four-Test series two-all,” Iftikhar said, adding: “I debuted in the Asia Cup (2016) and I didn’t get an opportunity to bat.

“For a player like me, there is first-class cricket and the HBL PSL to perform while it’s the selectors’ job to select me.”

Iftikhar said his job was to bat till the last.

“I wanted to go till the last. I am playing first-class cricket for the last 10 years, so I have the experience and that helps.”

Iftikhar, also a good off-spinner, took two for four in his two overs against Lahore Qalandars.

“I am happy to have taken wickets. Captain (Imad Wasim) had told me if the left-handers come, I will have to bowl and I did well,” said Iftikhar.

Iftikhar said Karachi Kings can go on to finish among the top four in the first phase.

“Our team is good. If our overseas batsmen get settled, then our bowling is good. So, we can finish in the top four,” said Iftikhar.

Points table (after Friday’s matches):

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  17.1 KB

Upcoming matches:

4 March (March No.23) – Peshawar Zalmi v Quetta Gladiators, Abu Dhabi (match starts 430pm PST)

4 March (Match No.24) – Karachi Kings v Multan Sultans, Abu Dhabi (match starts 9pm PST)

5 March (Match No.25) – Lahore Qalandars v Peshawar Zalmi, Abu Dhabi (match starts 430pm PST)

5 March (Match No.26) – Islamabad United v Quetta Gladiators, Abu Dhabi (match starts 9pm PST).

Name:  d2956d11-bd65-4971-9ec6-cd1dea6d949c.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  108.3 KB

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    HBL PSL has helped Pakistan immeasurably, says Danny Morrison

Lahore, 1 March 2019:

Former New Zealand fast bowler Danny Morrison, one of the most lively and respected voices in cricket, believes HBL Pakistan Super League has helped Pakistan immeasurably, throwing and maturing talent to the hilt.

The 53-year-old, a regular part of commentary teams to all parts of the cricketing world, including the HBL PSL, singled-out Shadab Khan as a player who has matured from the Pakistan league.

“PSL has helped Pakistan cricket immeasurably,” Morrison told PSL. “Particularly, when you look at the talent available, particularly the raw talent, it’s great.”

Morrison, who played 48 Tests and 96 ODIs, said HBL PSL has been helpful for Pakistan cricket.

“There are a lot of discussions with the Pakistan players on how you need to improve the pitch standards, got to get a better structure and all cost money and then you are playing away from home, but with all that PSL has helped and thrown talent.

“The franchisees have benefited, the players have benefited by rubbing shoulders with some big international players. There are other franchise-based tournaments, which have also helped young talent emerge and benefit.”

Morrison praised the development of Shadab, Pakistan’s leg-spinner who is now captaining Islamabad United after regular skipper Mohammad Sami got injured.

“The development of Shadab, he is now doing captaincy, is significant. I am really impressed with Rumman Raees, a bit of bouncing back in terms of fitness,” said Morrison of Rumman who had a year-long lay-off due to injury.

“Then guys like Musa Khan making his debut, he is very exciting,” said Morrison of the Islamabad United newest pace sensation. “Babar (Azam) bursting onto the scene and his skills with the white ball have developed in the PSL.”

Babar is the world’s number-one ranked batsman which has synchronised with the HBL PSL.

“Faheem Ashraf maturing with the ball in the hand, the redemption and allowance of Mohammad Amir to come back into international cricket; it’s good for Pakistan cricket.

“I am targeting pace here, obviously, but I think that is where Pakistan's strength lies. There are more than few who have been unearthed in the PSL.”

Morrison praised the standards of play in the HBL PSL.

“I missed the first one,” said Morrison of the first edition in 2016. “I love this part of the world and have a lot of Pakistani fans. There is a great standard of the game and it’s attracting big names. I think there is a great standard of cricket. I am looking forward to coming back to Pakistan.

“I was there in October 2017 for the Sri Lanka Twenty20.”

Morrison recalls the 1990 tour of New Zealand to Pakistan.

“I was there in 1990. It was a tough gig, it was a young side as Martin Crowe had taken over from John Wright and few senior pros did not come. It was a changing of guards with Richard Hadlee just finished in England and we were up against a very good Pakistan attack so we were run-over.

“The two Ws and Aaqib Javed were great,” said Morrison of Pakistan's pace attack of Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Aaqib Javed. “Then they had Abdul Qadir and good spin bowling of balance. So, we were run-over there. Then I came back in 1996 for the World Cup but did not last long with a groin injury.

“I have enjoyed my visits to Pakistan. It was always tough for fast bowlers. I have always been pleasantly surprised at how clean and organized the streets are in Lahore. Obviously, Karachi is different with it being down by the coast, a bit of wild at times. But good to see people come out and watch cricket.”

Asked how he would have fared in Twenty20 cricket, Morrison termed it a big challenge for fast bowlers.

“It would have been a challenge. You need to get your yorkers, I quite liked watching the two Ws get that right in early 90s, they had that ball and were always searching for that.

“It’s a go-to-ball, any bowler could have been smashed on the day, but I would have loved to play T20s.”

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1326 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Fielding guru Jonty excited at HBL PSL in Karachi

Abu Dhabi, 6 March 2019:

Guess who is coming to Pakistan? It’s the fielding guru Jonty Rhodes, whose image of flying in the air to run-out great Inzamam-ul-Haq in the World Cup 1992 is still etched in the memories of fans around the world.

So gear up to have a glimpse of Jonty at the National stadium as excitement is rising on the last eight matches of the HBL PSL matches starting from Saturday – including the March 17 final.

Rhodes said he was looking forward to matches in Karachi.

“I was in Pakistan in 2015 and 2016, so I am looking forward to going back”.

“It’s good for us to be able to go and grow the game in Pakistan,” said Rhodes, also part of South Africa teams in 1994, World Cup 1996 and 1997.

Rhodes featured in 52 Tests and 245 ODIs for South Africa and has passed his fielding skills and techniques to players around the world.

“What I have seen (in the HBL PSL) certainly will go a long way to ensuring that Pakistan cricket stays at the top and remains very competitive for a long time because these young players have real skills.”

Rhodes termed HBL PSL as exciting.

“It’s been interesting because the wickets here (in UAE) have been slow,” said Rhodes. “The pace bowlers are able to dominate and they are young pace bowlers. They have played three editions and this is fourth. I think some of the batting is making some mistakes.

“They are not learning from the players from around them. But standard wise, there are good individual players and they have performed well for Pakistan but on a global scale. Babar Azam is one and he is world number-one in the ICC T20I rankings and you can see why,” said Rhodes of Pakistan's Babar.

“He is a talented player. But, for in the first half of the league, what I have noticed that there is a heavy reliance on foreign players, especially batsmen. Without doubt there are some good pace bowlers, a couple of spinners.

“It’s a great opportunity for young players as they are spending time in the field and in the nets, and with the foreign coaching staff and looking to see that aspect grow.”

Rhodes reckoned the home and away matches are missed with the league being played in UAE.

“I have done the IPL and the PSL. I have not been to Caribbean and the Big Bash not even in South Africa. The difference here is that there are no home and away stadiums, which is a pity. This can create such an incredible atmosphere.”

Rhodes said fielding has improved with the advent of leagues especially that of the Pakistan cricket team.

“T20 cricket has certainly shown that fielding is an important element. I really loved my time in the field, in the Tests not even in the ODIs. I had a coaching job in fielding for some nine years and the interesting thing, because traditionalists are critical of the T20 cricket, is that skills of all the players, especially in fielding have improved.

"At times, there are so many T20 matches that come down to the last ball or last over, so the runs you save in the field makes a certain difference.

“Pakistan certainly have some individuals who are good fielders and when you are playing T20 and now the World Cup is coming, so you can’t afford to hide two or three players, one player maybe but fielding will make a big difference in the limited overs cricket.”

Rhodes said he had fond memories of Pakistan, but on field he was not as successful as he had wished for.

“I don't have many fond memories of Pakistan tours on the field because I wasn’t very successful because Pakistan had Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram and some great spin bowlers, so I certainly battled with the bat.

“I did enjoy fielding because people didn’t expect you to diving around, so there were some run-out opportunities. I love the people, the places and the food. It’s sad for me that it’s only in Karachi because I wanted to explore Pakistan as much as possible as I do like to go out and see the places.

“But I look forward to getting back and exploring Pakistan.”

Asked about the toughest match against Pakistan in which he featured, Rhodes replied: “Nothing to do with me, but Pat Symcox batting in Faisalabad when the ball went through the stumps without disturbing the bails when he was beaten by a Mushtaq Ahmed googly," recalls Rhodes of the 1998 Test.

"When he (Symcox) came back, he said to the guys "see when you are the clean living person' and we all chuckled because he was the furtherest from that. He was the one who was a real character and always had a word or two to say to the opposition, so it wasn’t the clean thing that saved him."

Recalling his flying run-out of Inzamam-ul-Haq in the Brisbane match of World Cup 1992, Rhodes said: "I don’t think Inzi was a slow runner. He was 19 at that time. We had not seen him before, so it wasn’t the case of he was not good at running. There was a bit of thunderstorm, so the ball was wet and we needed a wicket as Inzamam and Imran Khan were taking Pakistan to our total.

“So, we were battling to get a breakthrough. I felt if I threw at the stumps, that there was a chance that I might miss. I could see from the corner of my eye that Imran did not move from the crease. So, Inzi had to move back and I had to come from the circle. But, Inzi surprised me by his speed and that’s why I had to dive through the air and ran him out."

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Top class catch by Sohail!

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    who is organising these matches?

1 game each one the weekend and then a double header on a weekday? seriously?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Shahid Afridi salutes foreign players for coming to HBL PSL

Karachi, 10 March 2019:

Shahid Afridi, former Pakistan skipper and one of the most popular cricketers around the world for his boom boom hitting, has saluted the foreign players for featuring in the Pakistan-leg matches of the HBL Pakistan Super League, saying they will always be credited for helping the PCB to revive international cricket in the country.

The 39-year-old, who played all his early cricket in Karachi and rose to international fame, represented Multan Sultans in the HBL PSL 2019 and will be in action against Lahore Qalandars on Monday.

Afridi said all 41 foreign stars, as well as those before them who have come to Pakistan in the last three years, are real stars.

“Whenever international cricket will be fully revived in Pakistan, the credit will go to these foreign players who have come to our country,” Afridi said.

“We salute them for touring Pakistan and appreciate their contribution.”

Afridi hoped more and more international cricket will come to Pakistan.

“These PSL matches and the few series we have hosted since 2015, have proved that Pakistan is a safe country, the people here are peace-loving people and they want to watch cricket on their grounds.

“I am sure with security improving and these foreign players coming to Pakistan will send a very positive message to the world and I hope more teams will come to Pakistan and our isolation will soon be over.”

Afridi said arrangements for the matches in Karachi are outstanding.

“Karachi is a vibrant, welcoming and a memorable city, and the response of these PSL matches is very good,” said Afridi of the matches that started from Saturday.

“There was a big crowd, good number of people came and the organisation of the event was very good. People want to watch these matches and foreign players have responded well. I hope this will continue till the final.”

The final will be held on 17 March.

Afridi praised security personnel for putting up excellent arrangements.

“The security arrangements are outstanding and I salute all those involved in providing high profile security and hope that all the foreign players will feel at home,” said Afridi.

“My message to the fans is to enjoy the game and come in big numbers. Pakistan cricket is on the up and I am sure

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  231.5 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th March 2019 at 18:29.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an Indian visiting Pakistan has been great, says Samit Patel

India’s players may not be part of Twenty20 leagues around the world, but there are a lucky few who are of the Indian origin and playing in the HBL Pakistan Super League.

Samit Rohit Patel is one of them. Patel, though born in Leicester, has roots in India and takes pride in being part of HBL PSL. The 34-year-old has been representing two-time champions Islamabad United on a regular basis.

Patel says he enjoys HBL PSL, more so being an Indian-Englishman.

“As an Indian visiting Pakistan has been great,” said Patel. “The experience of playing in Karachi was amazing and you can just see the love for cricket in Pakistan.

“I had heard lots of amazing things about Pakistan, especially Lahore, which I have not been to as yet. People are very hospitable and caring. Having an Indian background and coming here, has definitely changed my mindset.”

Patel, who played six Tests, 36 ODIs and 18 T20Is, places HBL PSL among the top leagues in the world.

“I place the PSL very highly, especially the standard of bowling is very good in one of the best competitions in the world,” said Patel, who last played for England in 2015. Since then, he is a regular at England county circuit.

Leagues, like HBL PSL, keep him going.

“The leagues have kept me going because I love cricket and also meeting so many great players,” said Patel, who loves the Islamabad United camp.

“Islamabad United have been great to me, like a family and are one of the best franchises in the world. We all play cricket to win and playing for a franchise that loves to win is the ultimate. I love being part of Islamabad United.”

Patel was one of the stars of Islamabad’s win over Peshawar Zalmi in the final in Karachi last year, taking two wickets and scoring 10 crucial runs.

This year, Islamabad qualified for the play-offs with a convincing 49-run win over Lahore Qalandars in Karachi on Saturday.

Name:  sam.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  237.2 KB
    Last edited by shaaik; 11th March 2019 at 13:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    HBL Pakistan Super League to observe Breast Cancer Awareness Day today

• Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink Ribbon Day) at the National Stadium Karachi for the double-headers(Lahore vs Multan, Karachi vs Peshawar).

Karachi, 11 March:

The HBL Pakistan Super League continues to make an impact on and off the field with collaborations aimed at making a difference in various spheres of life.

Following the Childhood Cancer Awareness Day (observed on 15 February in Dubai), today 11 March, is being observed as Breast Cancer Awareness Day at the National Stadium Karachi.

Multan Sultans take on the Lahore Qalandars in the first match of the day that started at 2:00pm PST. In the second tie Karachi Kings take on Peshawar Zalmi, the match starts at 7:00pm PST.

All four teams and the match officials will be wearing the Pink Ribbon synonymous with Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

Match commentators will also be wearing the ribbon while various match related equipment including the stumps will be themed as per the Breast Cancer Awareness (Pink Ribbon Day) theme.

Name:  9baae62e-eac0-450a-a0b4-4f79ea11324c.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  189.8 KB

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great Buzz in karachi..been waiting for this leg since the beginning..great to hear Samit is also enjoying his time considering he's from my current hometown lol..and he's playing for my old hometown.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear Samit enjoy it, man has a good heart.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSL eliminator format

Does anyone else find the eliminator process confusing. So from the four teams who are set to play in the coming days, if they win do they directly go to the finals. If that’s the case then why is there a game before the finals. Is that the play off for the losers? If not how does it work?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketDon View Post
    Does anyone else find the eliminator process confusing. So from the four teams who are set to play in the coming days, if they win do they directly go to the finals. If that’s the case then why is there a game before the finals. Is that the play off for the losers? If not how does it work?
    It's to benefit those teams which played well at the group stage.

No. 1 team plays No. 2 team. Winner goes straight to final. Loser gets one more attempt.

No. 3 team plays No. 4 team. Loser out of the competition. Winner plays loser of first match.

Loser of 1st match plays winner of 2nd match. Winner goes to final.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of 6 teams only 3 should progress for the final round it will make tournament much more competitive
    Number 1 team should go directly to the final.
    Number 2 & number 3 teams should play an eliminator or qualifier whatever you want to call it wining team goes to final & plays with number 1 team of tournament.
    This thing is unique & will make tournament much more competitive & exciting

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Alex Hales and Chris Jordan set to play in Pakistan

• Star England opener joins Islamabad United for the play-off stage
    • Chris Jordan will be available for Peshawar Zalmi after returning from national duty

Karachi, 12 March:

Star England batsman Alex Hales and fast bowler Chris Jordan are set to entertain the crowds in Karachi for the exciting play-off stage of HBL Pakistan Super League 2019.

Hales, who is an integral part of England’s limited overs sides, will be making a return to the Islamabad United after having played four matches for United last season. The explosive England batsman is replacing fellow countryman Ian Bell in the United squad.

“I am delighted to be back with Islamabad United for this year’s HBL Pakistan Super League and I can’t wait to play in front of our passionate fans,” Hales, one of the top 10 batsmen in the ICC T20I rankings, said.

“We have seen exciting cricket at the HBL PSL this year and Islamabad United has put in some excellent performances. I look forward to joining the squad and I hope that I can help the team lift the trophy once again,” said Hales.

“Alex Hales is one of the leading T20 batsmen in the world and I am glad that he will play for Islamabad United in front of Pakistani fans,” said Ali Naqvi, Islamabad United team owner.

“I am confident that he will add great energy to Islamabad United as we look to win the play-off stage games,” he added.

England fast bowler Chris Jordan will also be returning to Pakistan this year as he rejoins the Peshawar Zalmi squad for the play-off stage. Jordan had to leave the Zalmi squad midway through the season due to national duty where he received the man-of-the-series award during England’s T20I series win over the Windies.

Peshawar Zalmi will be squaring off with Quetta Gladiators in the qualifier on 13 March followed by the first eliminator between Islamabad United and Karachi Kings on 14 March.

Name:  alex hales.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  152.7 KBName:  jordan.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  133.8 KB

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hales rejected last year now playing in pakistan is huge news.Watson have open doors for other foreigners which is step in right direction for pakistan cricket

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quetta and Peshawar vow to fight till the last ball in HBL PSL 2019 Qualifier

Karachi, 12 March 2019:

Quetta Gladiators and one-time champions Peshawar Zalmi will square-off in the Qualifier of the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019 at the National Stadium in Karachi on Wednesday with both captains promising to fight till the last ball. The match will start at 7pm PST.

Led by Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, Quetta have finished runner-up in 2016 and 2017, while Peshawar outlasted them in the third vs fourth Eliminator in 2018. Interestingly, every time the margin of victory was one-run.

This proves no teams is ready to give up until the last-run as the winner will feature in the sell-out March 17 final. The losing side will have another opportunity to qualify for the final when they will meet the winner of Thursday’s Eliminator between Karachi Kings and Islamabad United on Friday.

Sarfaraz promised another cliff-hanger this time as well.

“The rivalry is exemplary,” said Sarfaraz. “Every time in the last three years, we had exciting matches which went down to the wire. We will put up another exciting show this time and hope a capacity crowd will have their money’s worth.”

The Quetta-Peshawar rivalry began in 2016 when both the sides shared a match each in the first round, before Gladiators won the war of Qualifier when medium-pacer Aizaz Cheema took two wickets and conceded a single off the last-ball as Peshawar failed to chase down a small target of 134 runs.

Peshawar won one of the league matches in 2017, while the other was rained-off in Sharjah before another Qualifier went to Quetta, this time too Peshawar falling short by one-run in pursuit of a 201-run target. On that day, Hasan Ali was run-out when two runs were needed off the last-ball.

But Peshawar had the last laugh, clinching the final and the title with a big 58-run victory against a depleted Quetta, who were without their top foreign players.

They again shared a league match each in 2018, before Peshawar snatched victory from the jaws of defeat by one-run in the Eliminator in Lahore.

Needing 25 runs off the last over, Quetta were brought within a stroke of victory by Anwar Ali who hammered three sixes and a boundary off spinner Liam Dawson. But, needing three for victory, Anwar’s partner Mir Hamza was run-out as the batsmen tried to take a second run.

This year Quetta has an edge, winning both their league games by six and eight-wicket margins, respectively leaving the head-to-head in their favour with six wins, five defeats and one no-result in 12 contests.

Sarfaraz played down the talk of psychological edge.

“I don’t think there will be any psychological edge,” said Sarfraz. “We have all played 10 matches. This will be a new match on a new day.”

He admits Quetta had a more balanced squad, with the induction of former West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo, and that give him more hopes of an elusive title after losing the final twice.

“Yes, we have a more balanced squad and DJ's arrival has given us more balance. We will do our best to win the title, but it will depend on how we play the last matches. We have a full-strength and we will do our best to win the title.”

Quetta also boost of a very strong batting line-up with Shane Watson on top of the run charts with 352 in 10 matches. The former Australia all-rounder will hope to make his first visit to Pakistan for HBL PSL memorable in the last round with big scores.

Umar Akmal (255 runs), Ahmed Shehzad (252) and Rile Rossouw (245) make the top-order strong, while Sarfaraz, Bravo, Anwar and Mohammad Nawaz make the middle and lower-order formidable.

Quetta bowling is led by ever-green Twenty20 globe-trotter Sohail Tanvir who has 15 wickets while spinner Nawaz has 11. The newly emerged (also selected for Pakistan against Australia for ODIs) Mohammad Hasnain remains a threat with his speed.

Peshawar will be happy at the return to form of Kamran Akmal who smashed a 48-ball 86 against Karachi in the last league game, while Imam-ul-Haq, Liam Dawson, Darren Sammy and Kieron Pollard can also be depended on when needed.

Peshawar’s pace attack is their strong point as it can pose big challenge for Quetta’s batting. Hasan Ali leads the wicket chart with 21 wickets in 10 games and is ably complemented by Wahab Riaz (13 wickets), Sameen Gul (nine), Umaid Asif (seven) and Tymal Mills (five).

Peshawar captain Sammy hoped his pace attack and Kamran win him more matches.

“Kamran is our match-winner and is backed up by pace attack led by Hasan. It’s nice to see Wahab Riaz giving him full support,” said Sammy. “It will be tough to score against our fast bowlers.”

Upcoming fixtures:

13 March – Qualifier - Quetta Gladiators v Peshawar Zalmi; 7pm; Ranmore Martinesz and Ahsan Raza (on-field), Asif Yaqoob (third umpire), Rashid Riaz (fourth umpire); Roshan Mahanama (match referee)

14 March –Eliminator 1 - Islamabad United v Karachi Kings; 7pm; Michael Gough and Shozab Raza (on-field), Rashid Riaz (third umpire), Asif Yaqoob (fourth umpire), Prof. Anees (match referee)

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good news, especially with Hales coming off of a decent England return. I think he will be a great addition to the side.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news for United fans. Apparently they contacted Hales and he agreed 2 weeks ago.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Islamabad United hope to thwart Karachi Kings’ challenge in HBL PSL Eliminator 1

Karachi, 13 March 2019:

Islamabad United hope a better record will help them thwart the challenge Karachi Kings pose on their home turf and before their supporters when the two teams meet in the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019 Eliminator 1 at the National Stadium on Thursday.

Thursday’s winner will meet the losing side from Wednesday’s match between Quetta Gladiators and Peshawar Zalmi in Eliminator 2 on Friday, with the winner qualifying for the sell-out 17 March final.

Islamabad, winners in 2016 and 2018, were equal on points with their rivals in the league phase with 10 in as many games, finished ahead of Karachi on better net run-rate.

They also have more balance in their batting and bowling, which earned them two wins against Karachi in this year’s event.

On their way to the title in the first edition, Islamabad beat Karachi in the Eliminator by a convincing nine-wicket margin when Brad Haddin (52 not out) and Luke Ronchi (50 not out) help them chase down a modest target of 111 runs.

But, Karachi reversed the result in 2017 when the two teams again met in the Eliminator, beating Islamabad by 44 runs at the back of some superb bowling by Mohammad Amir, Imad Wasim and Usama Mir – all taking three wickets.

Islamabad again had the better of Karachi in the third edition on their way to the title, winning by eight wickets. Ronchi once again was Karachi’s nemesis, by scoring a whirlwind 94.

In 2019, Islamabad proved a better batting and bowling unit as they beat Karachi by seven and five wickets, respectively in the two league matches, with Asif Ali benefiting from a dropped catch to plunder a match-winning 70 in Dubai, the 18th match of this season.

However, Islamabad captain Mohammad Sami feels it will be a new match on a new day.

“We have done well in the league phase, but there are no advantages because come Thursday it will be a new match for both the teams,” said Sami, who took a hat-trick against Peshawar Zalmi in the league phase.

Sami leads a strong pace attack, which also comprise Faheem Ashraf (19 wickets) and Rumman Raees (seven wickets), besides the youthful exuberance of Musa Khan and Ammad Butt.

In Shadab Khan and Samit Patel, Islamabad have two good spinners who can check the flow of runs and also claim crucial wickets.

Ronchi with 297 runs at a strike rate of 158.82 is Islamabad’s leading run-scorer (behind Shane Watson’s 352 and Colin Ingram 321) and always comes good against Karachi. Asif also poses danger in the middle-order as he can be effective in the slog overs.

Karachi is also shaping up well with time and before home fans. They had the better of Quetta in the last-ball thriller by one-run before going down to Peshawar in the last league game to finish fourth.

Karachi skipper Imad Wasim hopes his team catches Islamabad napping.

“We are looking forward to play against Islamabad. We have had a lot of good battles against them and they have obviously won a lot of games against us.

“This time around, we think it’s our time and we are hopeful to win this match,” said Imad, who hopes fans come to support in big numbers.

“My message is to come and support us in the last two matches and we will not disappoint you,” said Imad.

Karachi will hope Colin Ingram, Babar Azam (293 runs in 10 matches) and Liam Livingstone (291 runs) lift them to a good total and hope their spin-cum pace attack stops Islamabad. Left-arm spinner Umar Khan has been a revelation for Karachi, having taken 13 wickets in the league phase.

The pace attack comprising of Mohammad Amir (12 wickets) and Usman Shinwari (12) is also getting better results with each match.

Sohail Khan bowled well in the win over Quetta but went wicket-less in the last four matches.

14 March –Eliminator 1 - Islamabad United v Karachi Kings; match starts 7pm; Michael Gough and Shozab Raza (on-field umpires), Rashid Riaz (third umpire), Asif Yaqoob (fourth umpire), Prof. Anees (match referee)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Hasnain corrects Waugh’s prediction by making it big in HBL PSL 2019

• “I had the same pace and vigour at this age. He is very talented, and has pace, bounce and determination,” says Waqar Younis

• “Hasnain is someone who is incredibly fast and skillful, and we will see a hell lot of him in the coming days,” says Shane Watson

Karachi, 13 March 2019:

Four years ago, Australia’s maestro Steve Waugh had predicted Shaheen Shah Afridi and Mohammad Hasnain will make it big by playing international cricket.

Shaheen corrected Waugh’s prediction by featuring in all three international formats in the last one year. It’s now Hasnain’s turn, who is set to make a name for himself at the top-level.

Apart from elder Waugh's prediction, there is one more common thing about the two fast bowlers – they have made a big impact on HBL Pakistan Super League, which has paved their way into the Pakistan team.

Pakistan Under-15 team’s former coach Mohammad Masroor recalled the tour to Australia in 2015.

“We did well on the tour and during one of the matches at the Bradman Ground near Sydney, Steve Waugh came to watch his son Austin and when he saw Shaheen and Hasnain in action, there, he predicted the two boys will make an impact at international level,” Masroor recalled.

Hasnain made an instant impact in the HBL PSL 2019, with his speed and hunger to do well. Although, he has taken just seven wickets in five matches, his ability to constantly bowl at 150kph has caught everyone’s eye.

So impressed were the selectors and the team head coach Mickey Arthur, Hasnain was rewarded with a place in the national team for the upcoming one-day series against Australia in UAE.

“Myself and Inzamam-ul-Haq watched a lot of the PSL and Hasnain fills a hole we are looking for in the national team,” Mickey said. “He has all the potential, and we are not going to rush somebody in, we will bring him slowly just like we did with Shaheen and will work with him to see if he is ready.

“His pace is most impressive.”

The tall, earthy complexioned Hasnain started playing at an early age. Hyderabad region coach Iqbal Imam spotted his talent and has seen his progress over the years.

“Hasnain played Under-16 and Under-19 for Hyderabad, and right from the start, his pace has been consistent and impressive,” recalled Imam, a former first-class cricketer, who had played alongside Inzamam, Waqar Younis, Basit Ali and Mushtaq Ahmed for UBL.

“Hasnain has come of age through the age-group process of the Pakistan Cricket Board and is a real product of ours,” said Imam.

He was selected by Islamabad United last year, but an injury ruled him out from the HBL PSL 2018. He made his first-class debut for PTV against Multan in September and picked up three wickets, while his and final second match to date went wicket-less.

This year Quetta Gladiators picked him as their 21st player. Since then, he has become number-one as far as the emerging talent is concerned.

Team-mate Shane Watson said he was instantly impressed.

“He (Hasnain) is someone who is incredibly fast and skillful, and we will see a hell lot of him in the coming days. He is doing a great job for Quetta,” said Watson, who has played many fast bowlers in his illustrious career for Australia.

Former great Waqar Younis has been a role model for Hasnain.

“I grew up with an aim to become a fast bowler and Waqar was my role model,” said Hasnain. “I am thrilled that my first PSL has brought me so much reward. It was my childhood dream to play for Pakistan and its near to fulfillment.”

Waqar said he sees himself in Hasnain.

“Yes, I had the same pace and vigour at this age. He is very talented, and has pace, bounce and the determination. I have told him not to lose his pace, which is his strong point.

“What I have noticed is that apart from Shoaib Akhtar, all other pacers lost their pace after starting at 140-150kph, so Hasnain needs to heed on that,” said Waqar.

Waqar hopes Hasnain works hard to get his action smoother.

“He is a bit rough in his action and I had that same problem and once that is sorted, he will not have to put a lot of effort. I mean his run-up is a bit laborious, but once he manages it, he will be more effective.

“I wish him the best of luck.”

Name:  1bdcb9ae-5f25-4f3a-b190-8e7d0ee41bc4.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  248.8 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th March 2019 at 18:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Lamichhane had a life-time experience in HBL PSL

Karachi, 14 March 2019:

Fast-rising wrist-spinner Sandeep Lamichhane of Nepal has described his week-long stay in Pakistan for the HBL Pakistan Super League 2019 as a “life-time experience” and wishes to come on a regular basis to a country where he thinks “people are made about the game.”

The 18-year-old featured for a luckless Lahore Qalandars and finished with 11 wickets in seven games, but apart from his on-field success Lamichhane described his visit as “memorable”.

“It was lovely to be here (in Karachi). I enjoyed my visit and would wait for another trip, whether for the PSL or with the Nepal team. It was a lifetime experience,” said Lamichhane before returning home.

“I can’t wait to come back to Pakistan with the Nepal cricket team as I am sure more cricket will come to Pakistan. The fans were very passionate and deserved more cricket,” said Lamichhane, praising the arrangements.

“We all felt at home and there were no problems at all. It’s a really great news for Pakistan that we have played PSL matches here in Karachi.”

Fresh from his exploits in the Big Bash for runners-up Melbourne Stars in February, Lamichhane took three for 46 to lead Qalandars to a six-wicket win over Multan Sultans in Dubai, before his best Twenty20 figures to date of four for 10 in four overs helped Lahore trounce Quetta Gladiators by eight wickets in Sharjah.

Lamichhane admitted it was more challenging to bowl spin against the sub-continent batsmen.

“It’s always challenging to play T20 cricket and more than that batsmen in the sub-continent play the spin well, so it was a double challenge. I have to learn a lot of things to come good,” said Lamichhane, who also played in the Indian Premier League.

Lamichhane expressed confidence Lahore will perform better in future events.

“The backing was great. All Lahore officials were helpful and cordial, but sadly the results were not good. I am hopeful we will achieve better results in the coming years,” said Lamichhane.

Recalling his first entry into big time cricket, Lamichhane said it was former Nepal coach Pubudu Dassanayake who spotted him in the nets.

“Actually I was training. I came to know that Pubbudu was coming to our academy. We had a meeting with him. So, he wanted to see some of us and I bowled at the nets and he was impressed.”

Lamichhane hoped to make further strides with the Nepal cricket team.

“I am sure Nepal is on their way to bigger cricket and I want to play my part in that. I am doing the hard work and hope rewards will come with hard work,” said Lamichhane, who will play for Delhi Capitals in the IPL 2019.

Name:  a0605af3-7cad-4c11-9884-d07fc5ff602e.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  180.3 KB

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)