User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Are some UK Pakistanis racist against prominent British-Pakistani politicians?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jealous perhaps for some reason, not racist. "Coconut" is a common term used for white wannabe's though.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Coconut is an affectionate term which is ok when British Pakistanis use it on each other, it's an in house joke so perhaps not so offensive. Sajid Javed obviously got riled up about it on that video but he answered with the vehemence you would expect from a fully paid up Tory blue blood.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing racist about it, as the clip itself portrays "coconut" means someone who's unmistakably fuscous on the outside but deep in the profound blue tries to mimic the indigenous English' cultural norms and ethical praxis, absquatulating his authentic self for an anfractuous identity, even if this argute process means to betray your spiritual allegiance and racial consciousness.

Ultimately, such fugacious and hoddy-noddy individualities are always crushed by history : remember the Jews who wanted to be "more Germans than the Germans", to paraphrase Chaim Weizmann, the first President of Israel, their gasconade and even nugacity was dramatically shut down in the 40s in some too well-mediatized drastic circumstances indeed.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu_ View Post
    Nothing racist about it, as the clip itself portrays "coconut" means someone who's unmistakably fuscous on the outside but deep in the profound blue tries to mimic the indigenous English' cultural norms and ethical praxis, absquatulating his authentic self for an anfractuous identity, even if this argute process means to betray your spiritual allegiance and racial consciousness.

Ultimately, such fugacious and hoddy-noddy individualities are always crushed by history : remember the Jews who wanted to be "more Germans than the Germans", to paraphrase Chaim Weizmann, the first President of Israel, their gasconade and even nugacity was dramatically shut down in the 40s in some too well-mediatized drastic circumstances indeed.
    I am quoting this to preserve it for PP history. There must have been more words I have never heard of in that first sentence than I have come across in a month previously, and I consider myself a well read man. Outstanding post.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    I am quoting this to preserve it for PP history. There must have been more words I have never heard of in that first sentence than I have come across in a month previously, and I consider myself a well read man. Outstanding post.
    Just what I was thinking, where does he find out about these words

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sajid javed is.... a Tory house something.... think of the Samuel L Jackson character from django unchained.

Sadiq khan represents thise who are very comfortable in their own skin and get ahead in life. But I a might be biased as he lives down the road from my close relatives, and I have seen him many times in unofficial capacity and he's a nice down to earth guy. Though I disagree with him on Corbyn and brexit.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I second what this guy said.
    Last edited by kingusama92; 16th September 2018 at 01:10.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    There are some personified coconuts in politics but we also have heroes that are admired like Salma Yaqoob and Sajid Javed

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sajid Javed is definitely a coconut and an Uncle Tom. Sadiq Khan is just confused.

It's not far fetched to see them both as leaders of their respective parties, and facing each other on Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons as Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition. Between them, they occupy two out the four most powerful positions in British politics, as Home Secretary and Mayor of London (the other two positions being Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer)

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are enough new words in this post to fuel Ramiz Raja's commentary for the next decade. I sincerely hope Ramiz Raja is not a member of the forum and doesn't come across this post.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been called a coconut (and other such things) numerous times before.

tbh its mostly from people who don't understand that it is possible to forge an identity outside of the confines of your ethnicity.

i have pakistani parents, but was born in and spent the majority of my life in the uk. why on earth would i try to project an image of pakistaniat?

the mere act of keeping up such cultural appearance ironically is one of the most pakistani things you can do, but i digress.

the sooner desis realise that the blanket us vs them group think does more damage than good to the desis in general the better.

whilst the term, or such terms mean little to me now, they are detrimental in letting youngsters find there way in a society which is ostensibly getting ever more polarised.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post

tbh its mostly from people who don't understand that it is possible to forge an identity outside of the confines of your ethnicity.

i have pakistani parents, but was born in and spent the majority of my life in the uk. why on earth would i try to project an image of pakistaniat?

the mere act of keeping up such cultural appearance ironically is one of the most pakistani things you can do, but i digress.

the sooner desis realise that the blanket us vs them group think does more damage than good to the desis in general the better.

whilst the term, or such terms mean little to me now, they are detrimental in letting youngsters find there way in a society which is ostensibly getting ever more polarised.
    I think coconut can only be applied to those who wish to hide from their identity or behave/try to be like others who are dont have their background because they are embarassed. I agree when being raised in the UK you will be more British than Pakistani even if you eat Samosas and listen to desi music.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sir, put down the thesaurus and slowly back away.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried very hard to be a coconut but failed.
    Now i’m Just bitter and jealous of the successful coconuts.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    I think coconut can only be applied to those who wish to hide from their identity or behave/try to be like others who are dont have their background because they are embarassed. I agree when being raised in the UK you will be more British than Pakistani even if you eat Samosas and listen to desi music.
    unfortunately the problem with such terms is that they are rarely bandied about with due consideration, when i was younger if there was an argument and you didnt side with the desi, coconut, if you disagreed with some cultural "norm", coconut, if you wanted to hang out with your non desi mates, coconut, try to speak properly in certain environments, coconut.

i totally understand where your coming from, in my experience tho the term is mostly used to curb someones individualism, especially given how group oriented desis can be.

katha angrez in another term, not sure exactly what it means, but think its on similar lines, like a fake Englishman or suttin.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I dislike about Sajid is that he uses his Muslim image when he needs to and when he doesn't he hides it in order to score points with the electorate. He acts as the party's Islamophobia representative.

If you use your religion/cultural identity to get votes, then you shouldn't be surprised when people turn around and realise that you are just using them and you are not representing their views. (Example being Sajid being shocked at being called a coconut).

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    Yorkshire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well said. Post more.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mrs Robert got called a coconut and a Bounty for marrying me. Such disrespect for her disgusted me.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    unfortunately the problem with such terms is that they are rarely bandied about with due consideration, when i was younger if there was an argument and you didnt side with the desi, coconut, if you disagreed with some cultural "norm", coconut, if you wanted to hang out with your non desi mates, coconut, try to speak properly in certain environments, coconut.
    Very sad to read. That’s the tyranny of low expectations.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Coconut isn't really an offensive term to be honest, the coconut community was quite sparse a couple of generations ago, now when you get 2nd and 3rd generations growing up in foreign lands, they are obviously going to be popping up more often in public spheres. Uncle Tom is a much more damaging label and that's the one that Sajid Javid will have to field more strenuously, but characters like him aren't going to be put off, he's ambitious and successful and being an Uncle Tom is part of the deal when you are moving up as a minority.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is mostly the cab drivers and restaurateurs who are just jealous that someone of their skin tone has attained more success than them. It is their way of rationalising their own lack of success and significance in British society.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Very sad to read. That’s the tyranny of low expectations.
    on the contrary, i think it played a big role in me becoming more certain of who i was, i realised very quickly that some people may dislike you for being your own person, but a whole load of others look up to it.

that i had a very close group of friends not based on ethnicity helped a lot in this regard tho.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    on the contrary, i think it played a big role in me becoming more certain of who i was, i realised very quickly that some people may dislike you for being your own person, but a whole load of others look up to it.

that i had a very close group of friends not based on ethnicity helped a lot in this regard tho.
    I mean the people calling you coconut are victims of the tyranny @ElRaja.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had to google some words there.

Which is why I am bookmarking this post as it isn't often I need to google.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I mean the people calling you coconut are victims of the tyranny @ElRaja.
    gotcha, my bad!

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say almost every one of them are coconuts but thats just the nature of politics. There are very very few politicians that I consider sincere, the rest where whatever costume is necessary for that days work.

Sajid Javed for instance - I dont really believe he identifies with either the Pakistani or Muslim community but opportunistcly mentions his heritage when it suits himself or Mrs May.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    I'd say almost every one of them are coconuts but thats just the nature of politics. There are very very few politicians that I consider sincere, the rest where whatever costume is necessary for that days work.

Sajid Javed for instance - I dont really believe he identifies with either the Pakistani or Muslim community but opportunistcly mentions his heritage when it suits himself or Mrs May.
    It's the nature of politics, if Sajid Javid identified too closely with the Pakistani or Muslim community, how would he appeal to the majority of the voter base, which is still very much white Anglo Saxon? Part of his appeal is that he has distanced himself quite vocally from his Pakistani heritage and that means he can relate more to the white British voters, and perhaps still grab a few ethnic votes at the same time.

You just have to look at Javid backing the sacked Labour MP Sarah Champion who caused a storm by linking grooming of young girls to Pakistani heritage men. She was backed by 39% of the public in a YouGov poll, so of course as a politician he would try to side with public opinion whatever he might think privately.