Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Laptop scheme was a good idea

I know PTI is dropping the Laptop scheme, and this is not supporting the corruption in it.....

It was a great idea. I got one, and it was very useful to me throughout my University life. Was it the best laptop in the world? No. But it wasn't bad, it was actually a very useful laptop, and I can credit most of my grades to it and E-Books.

I know a few people who had no real chance of getting a laptop who benefited from it, one person for whom it was the first computer he ever used, so a real game changer.

I also played the latest FIFA at the time on the laptop, so anyone trying to act like the specs were horrific is having a laugh

I think it was a good idea in theory and I think PTI should look into getting a similar scheme set. The laptops were actually given on merit, instead of to people with connections.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1648 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bro do you know at what price the government bought each laptop and what was the cost in the market for that same laptop model?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Laptops were brought at Rs18000 but their price was overstated as Rs 36000 in official records.

A profit of Rs18000 per laptop for corrupt N-league officials.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there was corruption previously, then PTI should procure and distribute these laptops at 18,000 rupees as stated above. Why discontinue the scheme?
    I have personally witnessed many students from poor backgrounds who relied on these laptops to get their work done. It was a pro poor policy, that too on merit!

Please reconsider @shafqatmahmood.

Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Bro do you know at what price the government bought each laptop and what was the cost in the market for that same laptop model?

Yes, there was a lot of corruption, I never denied that, I said that in the first post. Hell, the first line:

I know PTI is dropping the Laptop scheme, and this is not supporting the corruption in it.....

The Laptop scheme should be rebooted without corruption obviously, and without Maryam and Nawaz's picture while booting, but it was still a good idea. Without corruption, it could be very helpful to students and not hurt the economy much either

Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Laptops were brought at Rs18000 but their price was overstated as Rs 36000 in official records.

A profit of Rs18000 per laptop for corrupt N-league officials.
    Great, it shows that PTI can run the scheme at half the cost

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s pretty much the same argument that is used for building roads and infrastructure.

Laptop scheme would be a good idea if the education system was already running at a decent standard. However, the first priority should be to invest in the betterment of the education system as a whole.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This scheme is a classic example of PML-N launching something to make money, and also win votes by giving the people something they can see and feel rather than fulfilling the basic needs and investing in education, health, and improving existing infrastructure.

Of course this scheme would undoubtedly have helped countless numbers of university students but the question is, how many people are actually given the opportunity and pathway to reach university in Pakistan? The priority needs to be uplifting the public education system so that more people can actually get to university and technical colleges. I understand the need for providing students with computer and internet facilities, and this can be provided to students by giving schools and universities good computer labs for students to use.

Once all that is done, then yes, perhaps a laptop scheme for those who can't afford laptops is a good idea.

“It is not defeat that destroys you, it is being demoralized by defeat that destroys you.”
    ― Imran Khan

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Laptops were extremly poor quality but people on merit were given.