Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quota system for indigenous players

Looking at this hong kong team, it really is getting ridiculous. It is like a hybrid Pakistan/India C team. This is not a good advertisement for cricket.

I appreciate some teams can't field 11 players who totally originate from the host country but a quota system needs to be introduced which sets a requirement of a minimum of 4 players from host country who's parents are born there.

This is the only way for capacity building in associates and minnows.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Looking at this hong kong team, it really is getting ridiculous. It is like a hybrid Pakistan/India C team. This is not a good advertisement for cricket.

I appreciate some teams can't field 11 players who totally originate from the host country but a quota system needs to be introduced which sets a requirement of a minimum of 4 players from host country who's parents are born there.

There should be no quota, the one you are suggesting is blatantly racist.

The best players should be playing regardless of ethnicity.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Its not racist when the requirement is the players parents are born in the host country.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I agree. Their team looks ridiculous.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is why I love Nepal's team.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not racist when the requirement is the players parents are born in the host country.
    Yes, you're right.

It's just plain discriminatory, not racist.

Trust me I want Nepal playing here,not Hong Kong. But what you've suggested is not the solution.
    Last edited by Arham_PakFan; 16th September 2018 at 13:18.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In intentional teams you can't have quotas IMO, but i reckon there is room for it in Domestic games. I actually want Pakistan to do this as well

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    In intentional teams you can't have quotas IMO, but i reckon there is room for it in Domestic games. I actually want Pakistan to do this as well
    What sort of quota in domestic teams? Age wise? Or home-grown?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arham_PakFan View Post
    What sort of quota in domestic teams? Age wise? Or home-grown?
    home grown in hong kong's case

I Pakistan id like a player from Balochistan, Gilgit, Azad Kashmir and so on play more.

Its a mockrey of our system that Bismillah Khan and Afaq Raheem are the only vaugely prominent players from these areas in our domestic cricket.

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Hong Kong want to lose games that they can win just because the makeup of their team is Pakistani/Indian?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HK is not like other countries. They naturally have a very high expatriate population and 2nd gen HK.

Other than the expatriate population, the main other nationalities are Chinese and Indonesian - both pretty much non-cricket playing countries.

They cannot do much about this situation and it is unfair to handicap a weak team with even more red tape and bureaucracy. Especially when we allow many top cricketing nations like Eng and SA to have so many expats and 2nd gen players in their own teams.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In the current match vs Pak, out of the playing XI, 7 have roots in Pak, 2 in India and 2 in the UK, something should definitely be done to be more representative of HK's demographics.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2068 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Another HK match, another completely inaccurate thread.

In this HK side, the vast majority of players fall into two categories.

1) Learned all their cricket in HK
    2) Arrived at very young ages and came up through the HK cricket system.

That too with two of their best local players absent. Atkinson (teaching) and Chapman (NZ qualified now). This HK team deserves more credit than people give.

Also, re the overall argument of the thread. Countries like the UAE are 90% expats, naturally the cricket team will reflect that. Ireland made their start in 2007 with a team packed with Saffers and Aussies who moved here to work in the Celtic Tiger economy, relying on foreign produced players is completely fine for nations looking to establish a proper footing in the game. Its only when they continuously rely on it ala the Netherlands that I think it becomes an issue.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What sort of stupid requirement is this? This is racist because you are suggesting that players who have parents that were born in America for example, are somehow more American than people who did not have parents that were born in that country.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InziRules View Post
    Why would Hong Kong want to lose games that they can win just because the makeup of their team is Pakistani/Indian?
    Because it's not Hong Kong playing? If a national team is made up of foreigners, it's not a team. This is international cricket, not domestic T20 league.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Another HK match, another completely inaccurate thread.

In this HK side, the vast majority of players fall into two categories.

1) Learned all their cricket in HK
    2) Arrived at very young ages and came up through the HK cricket system.

That too with two of their best local players absent. Atkinson (teaching) and Chapman (NZ qualified now). This HK team deserves more credit than people give.

Also, re the overall argument of the thread. Countries like the UAE are 90% expats, naturally the cricket team will reflect that. Ireland made their start in 2007 with a team packed with Saffers and Aussies who moved here to work in the Celtic Tiger economy, relying on foreign produced players is completely fine for nations looking to establish a proper footing in the game. Its only when they continuously rely on it ala the Netherlands that I think it becomes an issue.
    Were Most members of the 2007 Irish World Cup team South Africans and Australians? I think the O Brien Brothers were still playing there and they are as Irish as anyone can get.

What we would like to see is more representation of Chinese Origin players in the HK team, right now it seems like a Pakistan D side masquerading as as HK team. How can we ever expect the local majority to get into Cricket when the team is fully composed of players of South Asian Descent.

With this approach I don't think it will ever lead to inclusion of Chinese players in the HK Team as it remains full of Pak players for over a decade now with no changes in ethnic composition of the team.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Because it's not Hong Kong playing? If a national team is made up of foreigners, it's not a team. This is international cricket, not domestic T20 league.
    Not for Hong Kong, they're not

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    These guys are not foreigners to Hong Kong. They've been living there since they were very young, and some were even born there. Just because they don't look a certain way doesn't mean they're foreigners.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was disappointed when I looked through Hong Kong's squad and saw not a single proper Chinese/Hong Kong person was there, but there's not really much that can be done if they've passed all of the eligibility rules and so on.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Yeah I was disappointed when I looked through Hong Kong's squad and saw not a single proper Chinese/Hong Kong person was there, but there's not really much that can be done if they've passed all of the eligibility rules and so on.
    Quota wouldn't work though. If this crop gets Hong Kong to the World Cup (Not happening), then that'd do more for Cricket in Hong Kong than a Quota which means no one plays Cricket

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    These guys are not foreigners to Hong Kong. They've been living there since they were very young, and some were even born there. Just because they don't look a certain way doesn't mean they're foreigners.
    They're still expats, citizen or not. Do you really believe cricket will be relevant in any country without the major ethnicity participating? Hong Kong matches should not get ODI status until ICC and Hong Kong cricket board can build a player base made of local, ethnic players. Otherwise the sport has is of no interest or relevance to Hong Kong and a waste of money. Expats and immigrants can't make a sport thriving.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're still expats, citizen or not. Do you really believe cricket will be relevant in any country without the major ethnicity participating? Hong Kong matches should not get ODI status until ICC and Hong Kong cricket board can build a player base made of local, ethnic players. Otherwise the sport has is of no interest or relevance to Hong Kong and a waste of money. Expats and immigrants can't make a sport thriving.
    Yes, they can. If HK reach a World Cup, they will thrive

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You're not magically gonna grow a fanbase among the Hong Kong population. Cricket has historically been spread through immigration.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Yes, they can. If HK reach a World Cup, they will thrive
    Most likely blocking a team that can field host origin players so this is doing damage to the game.

Look at classic examples of UAE and Hong Kong where Indians and Pakistanis are running towards to play cricket and blocking access to Holland who can field originating players. This is unfair.

ICC should only give international team status if the country can prove they have a player base and not reliant on recruiting from abroad. This is why I suggested the 4 player minimum which is a soft approach to this problem.

If they can't field 4 players then they simply don't get the go ahead and participate in ICC matches.

Then you will see teams like Holland, Ireland, Scotland, Nepal rising, even though they might not be as good, make it to tournaments and develop from there.

What do you think would serve Hong Kong as a greater inspiration to take up cricket? Seeing a team full of Indians and Pakistanis winning for them and laughing about it or a team full of Hong Kong origin players making their mark? This will grow the game.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So according to OP, Australia should have to play a certain number of aboriginal players?

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most likely blocking a team that can field host origin players so this is doing damage to the game.

Look at classic examples of UAE and Hong Kong where Indians and Pakistanis are running towards to play cricket and blocking access to Holland who can field originating players. This is unfair.

ICC should only give international team status if the country can prove they have a player base and not reliant on recruiting from abroad. This is why I suggested the 4 player minimum which is a soft approach to this problem.

If they can't field 4 players then they simply don't get the go ahead and participate in ICC matches.

Then you will see teams like Holland, Ireland, Scotland, Nepal rising, even though they might not be as good, make it to tournaments and develop from there.

What do you think would serve Hong Kong as a greater inspiration to take up cricket? Seeing a team full of Indians and Pakistanis winning for them and laughing about it or a team full of Hong Kong origin players making their mark? This will grow the game.
    Why does it matter if they're indigenous? Should Moeen and Rashid not be allowed to play either?

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why does it matter if they're indigenous? Should Moeen and Rashid not be allowed to play either?
    Are there 10 Moeen and Rashids in the England team?

It matters to associate and minnow teams to grow cricket in their countries. By all means when they are established they can do what England and Australia and South Africa by including 1-2 players.

Its like Brazil football team in a world cup full of people from France and Germany. Its not a good advertisement. Okay if cricket is not as popular then understand why and grow the game organically instead of applying plaster on the situation and say "look we have the whole world playing in our world cup".

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Éire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2068 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javier View Post
    Were Most members of the 2007 Irish World Cup team South Africans and Australians? I think the O Brien Brothers were still playing there and they are as Irish as anyone can get.

What we would like to see is more representation of Chinese Origin players in the HK team, right now it seems like a Pakistan D side masquerading as as HK team. How can we ever expect the local majority to get into Cricket when the team is fully composed of players of South Asian Descent.

With this approach I don't think it will ever lead to inclusion of Chinese players in the HK Team as it remains full of Pak players for over a decade now with no changes in ethnic composition of the team.
    Mark Chapman has a Chinese parent and Chinese genes IIRC, he was so good he now plays for NZ. Thats not HK's fault.

The Irish squad of 2007 had at the top of my head the following players.

Bray - Aussie
    Botha - Saffer
    Langford - Smith - Aussie
    Johnston - Aussie
    Rankin - Irish
    Morgan - Irish
    NOB - Irish
    KOB - Irish
    Porterfield - Irish
    McCallan - Irish
    White - Irish

So over a third of the team were non Irish, and all the non Irish players played absolutely crucial roles.

First off, the Dutch are arguably the worst at exploiting eligibility rules. In the 2014 T20 edition, they invented an injury to a Dutch born player, Tim de Gruuth was his name IIRC, so they could send him home and call up Tom Cooper, who has never played a second of Dutch domestic cricket to my knowledge, who ended up playing many crucial knocks. In addition many of the XI's they field contain more players not born in Holland than are born there, so using them as an example aint gonna work. In the case of the UAE and co. these guys actually live and play there, and as I said before, they have societies dominated by expats so it makes sense the side reflects that, in the case of Holland they often fly in and play players who have never played in the country, but have Dutch parents or grandparents.

That said there's nothing wrong with what happens here IMO, the Dutch are perfectly entitled to call ip talented players once they are eligible, as are the UAE, Oman et al.

And as I said before, this HK side were either born there or learnt all their cricket there, this argument that because someone is called Khan or Nawaz or Singh that they are automatically hired mercenaries who dont give a damn about their team is massively insulting to the players in question, as well as the team, not to mention very oddly discriminatory in its nature since we all know had these guys been white nobody wouldve batted an eye, hence why youve heralded the Dutch as homegrown when quite a few of them evidently arent.

As for the argument of whether sides should do this or not, I can tell you watching the 2007 WC as a first time viewer I did not give a damn about what colour the team was, what accents they had or what country they were from, all I saw were 11 guys playing under the one flag with passion and desire and I'm sure any Cantonese individual watching HK today or in any of the past WC's would have seen the same of their side, and that does a hell of a lot more to draw in a new audience than an ethnically identical XI playing at a nothing level gaining no attention or profile.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    So according to OP, Australia should have to play a certain number of aboriginal players?
    Aborigines are not the biggest ethnicity in Australia for last 300 years, poor analogy.