Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Fired-up Mohammad Amir ready to prove his big-match temperament and reopen India's wounds

Writing for FirstPost, Saj discusses the ups and downs of Mohammad Amir's career and how his big match temperament will be crucial in Pakistan's marquee clash against India.

Name:  MH.jpg
Views: 4408
Size:  75.6 KB

Seldom has the world of cricket been so excited about an emerging talent than it was when an 18-year-old Mohammad Amir destroyed a top-class Australian batting order in the second Test at Leeds in 2010. It appeared that a career that could eclipse the achievements of Pakistanís left-arm legend Wasim Akram, was at its beginnings. The world was at Mohammad Amirís feet.

Yet, a few weeks later, Mohammad Amir was to find himself demoted from the object of praise to the stature of arch-villain. Along with Salman Butt and Mohammad Asif, Amir was banished from the game he loved for a period of five years.

Unable to enter a cricket ground, let alone bowl a single ball, Amir served his ban where he would have faced the personal demons of self-doubt, as well as ridicule from all quarters.

Consider it his belief in his destiny or dogged determination to restore his dignity, Amir did not give up on his dream to be back in Pakistani colours and put in some excellent domestic performances, shortly after the expiry of his ban in 2015.

The will to succeed and to respond to his critics would have been a great driving force for Amir as he started to feature regularly in Pakistan sides in all formats. But, it appeared that the missed five years of what many would consider as the formative years for any young fast-bowler did take their toll on Amir.

He was considered unlucky on many occasions as catches were dropped off his bowling as he started to find his feet again at the international level. Many critics pointed at the lack of spark that the younger version of Amir had at the start of his career, while some said the skills that made him unplayable to a batsman like Ricky Ponting in 2010 were simply not there anymore.

The detractors have spared no chance to criticise his continued selection for international duties. However, to the immense credit of the Pakistan team management and especially head coach Mickey Arthur, there seems to be no lack of confidence in the fast bowler's abilities and support for him has remained steadfast through thick and thin.

It is, perhaps, due to this faith in the magic that Amir could conjure that Pakistan persisted with the pacer as they took him to the T20 Asia Cup in 2016 in Bangladesh where he delivered a mouth-watering performance against arch-rivals India, which almost won the game for his side. In the space of almost three overs, Amir removed Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane and Suresh Raina, leaving India on a precarious 8/3 before the genius of Virat Kohli intervened to bring sanity back into the proceedings.

Perhaps, it was also the same confidence in what Amir could do when inspired by the occasion that the Pakistan team management continued to persist with him as the leader of the pack in the Champions Trophy in 2017. The naysayers were out in numbers as he continued to put in average performances during the earlier stages of the tournament, but what transpired in the final match of the tournament at The Oval is now the stuff of legends.

Whilst the Pakistan batsmen had set-up a target that most teams would baulk upon, the quality of Indian batting was expected to take up the challenge with relish. The big-match player in Amir woke up to the occasion and delivered a masterful performance in the final taking 3 for 16 and breaking the back of the Indian batting.

The hapless recipients of Amirís penchant for performing so well on big occasions were none other than Rohit Sharma who could not get off the mark, Shikhar Dhawan, and perhaps most importantly, the Indian captain Virat Kohli. In the space of a few sublime deliveries from Amir, even those who were against his selection had forgiven him. It was a sight to behold and Amir looked back at his brilliant best.

The joy and wicket-taking celebrations of Amir at The Oval were shared by millions of Pakistan fans around the world. It was as if fate had returned the hero that the nation revered in 2010 and then learned to hate. The redemption of Mohammad Amir was complete.

After more ups and downs for Amir since the Champions Trophy final, we move on to what many are terming the grudge match between the two Asian giants. The 19 September encounter between India and Pakistan promises to live up to the hype of many such matches from before. It does not matter what the occasion is or the location, the do-or-die aspect of all such games is something only true fans of both nationís cricket teams can describe.

For Mohammad Amir, this will be another occasion to prove his temperament as a big-match player. The DSC stadium is expected to be a full house and when the time comes for Amir to run in to bowl to the India captain, we can expect the roar of the crowd to be a deafening one. There will be a little needle too, with Mohammad Amir no doubt fired-up and still remembering Rohit Sharmaís words when he asked the world to not go Ďgagaí over the fast-bowlerís return to international cricket. In return, now appointed as captain in the absence of Virat Kohli, we can expect a determined Rohit Sharma ready to avenge the humiliation of a duck at the hands of Amir in their last encounter in England.

The stakes, as ever, are high in the upcoming battle between the neighbours. We can expect no side to give an inch or flinch in the face of any pressure. The DSC promises to be a jam-packed cauldron with Mohammad Amir keen to repeat his Champions Trophy performance to show all that he remains a force to contend with. Regardless of the outcome of this contest, a fired-up Mohammad Amir will be a sight to behold and the world of cricket will always be richer for that.

https://www.firstpost.com/firstcrick...s-5199181.html

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We already know his big match worth.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find him again in the midst of wickets and plays.

It's his lackadaisical temperament in 99 other matches of the year that is annoying or worrying, whichever way you want to put it.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Our best batsman after Kohli is Rohit. Who is an absolute sitting duck against Amir.

The inevitable is going to happen.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get the fear amongst the Indian contingent in the Sharma v amir battle.
    These pitches u can put your foot down and just play through the line. If Sharma can't win the battle here then it is a proper mental block

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It will be extremely hard for fast bowlers.

But in a Pak v Ind game: I expect at least one ATG spell from Amir.

Fingers crossed

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can be effective again if we bowl second.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes if his team scores 340+ again he will defend it

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Bassim View Post
    We already know his big match worth.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to find him again in the midst of wickets and plays.

It's his lackadaisical temperament in 99 other matches of the year that is annoying or worrying, whichever way you want to put it.
    If i am not wrong he has performed in one single big match after his team had scored 340+, a total never ever chased in a big final

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Our best batsman after Kohli is Rohit. Who is an absolute sitting duck against Amir.

The inevitable is going to happen.
    Not on these pitches. Even HK batsmen were playing him with ease.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a great supporter of Amir, I am running out of reasons to support his continued selection in the team . . . . . Great skill . . but just the passion, the will to run in every ball seems a bit lackadaisical . . people call him a big match player, but if he will just show up in big matches, I don't think he deserves to be in the team all year around . . He needs to step up . . and step up real fast!

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    If i am not wrong he has performed in one single big match after his team had scored 340+, a total never ever chased in a big final
    T20WC final in 2009.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hw wont get much wickets in UAE

New Era of Team Pakistan

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol. Have read an article that Micky Arthur has lost patience with him and has made the call to bench him for Shaheen Afridi in the India game. If Amir has been given the Wahab treatment then that is splendid news and a long time coming.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    T20WC final in 2009.
    Picking one wicket for 30 runs in 4 overs is equivalent to once in a lifetime performance of Aravainda De Silva Century in 96 Finals?

Irfan Pathan took 16/3 against Pakistan in 2007 Finals but we don't even hear about it too often.
    Last edited by javier; 18th September 2018 at 17:54.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by javier View Post
    Picking one wicket for 30 runs in 4 overs is equivalent to once in a lifetime performance of Aravainda De Silva Century in 96 Finals?

Irfan Pathan took 16/3 against Pakistan in 2007 Finals but we don't even hear about it too often.
    Stats of Indian pace bowlers in domestic cricket are good I believe, yet they are getting bashed senseless by Hong Kong out of all teams.

Hope you get my point. Go watch that final again to realize the significance of that Amir spell.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stats of Indian pace bowlers in domestic cricket are good I believe, yet they are getting bashed senseless by Hong Kong out of all teams.

Hope you get my point. Go watch that final again to realize the significance of that Amir spell.
    Bla Bla Bla

Have seen the finals Live at that time. It's like repeating something N number of times and it becomes a Gospel . It was Razzaq who took 3 for 20 and made sure the Lankan Innings never took off.

Bus Karo Yaar, 1 Wicket koi legendary performance nahi hai.

Amir failed to perform during 2009 Semis of Champions Trophy against New Zealand,. Pakistan were out. I guess it wasn't a big match .

Was smashed for 16 runs during the second last over of the 2010 T20 Semis against Australia ( In Final Over Hussey Demolished Ajmal )... That want big match either, right?

Couldn't do anything during 2016 T20 WC, guess that wasn't a bit tournament either? 0/39 in must win match against Australia.

Yes but became a Babbar Sher against India when the target was 340, well done. With that huge scoreboard pressure, even Laloo bowlers can become unbeatable on the day.
    Last edited by javier; 18th September 2018 at 18:09.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol. Have read an article that Micky Arthur has lost patience with him and has made the call to bench him for Shaheen Afridi in the India game. If Amir has been given the Wahab treatment then that is splendid news and a long time coming.
    This is what I wrote in the Amir thread.

Thanks for taking the suggestion on board Mickey.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aamir is out of form.. So I see sharma ji winning this one

only fighters rise up from the dust..

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bla Bla Bla

Have seen the finals Live at that time. It's like repeating something N number of times and it becomes a Gospel . It was Razzaq who took 3 for 20 and made sure the Lankan Innings never took off.

Bus Karo Yaar, 1 Wicket koi legendary performance nahi hai.

Amir failed to perform during 2009 Semis of Champions Trophy against New Zealand,. Pakistan were out. I guess it wasn't a big match .

Was smashed for 16 runs during the second last over of the 2010 T20 Semis against Australia ( In Final Over Hussey Demolished Ajmal )... That want big match either, right?

Couldn't do anything during 2016 T20 WC, guess that wasn't a bit tournament either? 0/39 in must win match against Australia.

Yes but became a Babbar Sher against India when the target was 340, well done. With that huge scoreboard pressure, even Laloo bowlers can become unbeatable on the day.
    Chotay, kis ki wicket thi wo? Match dekha karo aur mun band rakkha karo agar phir bhi na samajh aaye toh

Lalloo bowlers donít rip apart the top order of the self-proclaimed dominant team in world cricket, no matter what the opposition score. Your three superstars were running away with their bats stuck firmly between their legs, while Amir was winning his country an ICC tournament final.

With regards to T20WC, Pakistan was all but knocked out with that loss against New Zealand. I know you donít watch much Pakistan cricket, but donít go mouthing off on stuff you know jack about.

Ab bol, bus karega?

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love watching Amir bowl when he plays against India. So, I will watch the match to watch Amir bowl.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Indian fans were singing a very different tune at Lunch that day.

After Amir ran through the top order, we get this.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love if he's dropped tomorrow. Even though it won't help our cause for tomorrow's match, it can prove beneficial in the long run and in the lead-up to the WC.

Hum na hon hamare baad, Sarfraz Sarfraz

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by todfod 11 View Post
    Aamir is out of form.. So I see sharma ji winning this one
    In CT 17, Amir * was out of form as well before the final. Just one good spell against SL but nothing much. Rest is history

Severely Addicted to Pakistan Cricket despite the grave side effects!

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The intelligent Supporter View Post
    In CT 17, Amir * was out of form as well before the final. Just one good spell against SL but nothing much. Rest is history
    The pitches are different in this tournament... Amir got few wicket against Sri lanka and couple against England I think in CT

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The pitches are different in this tournament... Amir got few wicket against Sri lanka and couple against England I think in CT
    Amir was unfit in england game. He didnt play in it.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Facing familiar opponents against whom you have done well will always give any player lots of confidence, especially when not picking too many wickets against others.

What happens if he is unable to repeat his CT final performance though? Will the clamour for his ouster grow louder given that Pakistan will be playing in UAE in the months ahead? He does have a wood over Rohit though, so thats one cheap wicket he can definitely expect to pick.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Facing familiar opponents against whom you have done well will always give any player lots of confidence, especially when not picking too many wickets against others.

What happens if he is unable to repeat his CT final performance though? Will the clamour for his ouster grow louder given that Pakistan will be playing in UAE in the months ahead? He does have a wood over Rohit though, so thats one cheap wicket he can definitely expect to pick.
    Amir himself realizes he hasnít picked up many wickets and has been disappointing as a strike bowler. Saw an interview recently where he admitted this and intends to work hard to improve on it. As a fan, whatís good to see is he is not making excuses for the lack of wickets but accepts his shortcomings and wants to improve. Ofcourse benching him for Junaid or Shaheen wonít be out of the question, if he continues to disappoint.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Amir himself realizes he hasn’t picked up many wickets and has been disappointing as a strike bowler. Saw an interview recently where he admitted this and intends to work hard to improve on it. As a fan, what’s good to see is he is not making excuses for the lack of wickets but accepts his shortcomings and wants to improve. Ofcourse benching him for Junaid or Shaheen won’t be out of the question, if he continues to disappoint.
    Yep, despite the lack of wickets, he has remained fit, still looks like a 21-22 year old. All his interviews have been very positive. TBH he also has to deal with insane expectations given his exploits as a 17-18 year old. Hasn't quite gone back to that level yet. Not bowling full consistently is one reason, a lot of times I see him bowling the length you'd normally associate with Indian pacers

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Venue
    wellington
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Amir was unfit in england game. He didnt play in it.
    Ohh yes.. but still the runs on board will matter as well.. if pak bat first can they score 320 odd runs?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh yes.. but still the runs on board will matter as well.. if pak bat first can they score 320 odd runs?
    Only if Fakhar fires again.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest weak link in the Pakistani team after Imam.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He almost defended 84 against India. You were also the one saying ''can he even take wickets/when has he ever run through India before'' before the final and then I quoted your post a lot after you vanished after the final. Why do you do this to yourself
    Last edited by Pakpak; 19th September 2018 at 10:04.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4890 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    It is wishful thinking to suggest that Amir can be dropped in the near future. He does not take enough wickets but Mickey is a fan-boy and one can always justify his selection because of his excellent economy rate. There is always a belief that he can turn it on any time - especially in big games - which is why his selection does not depend on how many wickets he picks up on average.

He is clearly overrated, but if the alternative is Junaid, I am happy to see him in the playing XI. Junaid needs to be kicked out for good, especially after the rise of Shinwari and Shaheen.

Amir might not play UAE Tests regularly though. He doesn't have the heart for Test matches, especially in the UAE.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He picked the wicket of the man who set the tourney on fire. Dilshan was in great from. Once Amir got him out SL were on the backfoot.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T20WC final in 2009.
    Add to that CT match 2009 vs India. He dismissed SRT and pak won the game.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Amir fails in this match then there is no hope for him.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post
    If Amir fails in this match then there is no hope for him.
    Lets see what he can do!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir needs to step up, best chance to overshadow recent past performances. Lets see if he can lead the attack and defend this low score, one thing defending 338 its another defending 160.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir performs only in finals so we will have to wait for that I guess