Instagram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    6,204
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sunil Gavaskar blasts 'stylish' Fakhar Zaman during India-Pakistan Asia Cup clash

    Former Indian skipper Sunil Gavaskar is one of the articulate voices in cricket and along with being articulate, he is also known for voicing his analytical opinion when the Men in Blue do not deliver what is expected of them in the sports field. On Wednesday, the scenes were similar in Dubai but this time, it was a player of the Pakistan team who caught his attention and the Littler Master slammed Pakistan’s opener, Fakhar Zaman for wearing a cap in a rapper’s style.

    “Somebody, maybe the captain, should tell him that it’s the national cap. He should wear it properly. You can do this in PSL (Pakistan Super League) may be but this is the national team,” he said.

    Later, the Indian legend also criticised Dinesh Karthik for not having his name written on the back of his jersey. The 33-year-old has 'DK' written behind his jersey instead of Dinesh or Karthik. “Maybe that’s his nickname but since the jersey carries his number, people should identify with the name. Maybe with the name he can have his initials,” Gavaskar said while talking about Karthik.

    Meanwhile, India registered a comfortable win against Pakistan on Wednesday as the Men in Blue chased down a target of 163 in 29 overs. After being asked to bowl first, India had the best of the starts. New ball bowler Bhuvneshwar Kumar came up with two wickets early of Imam-ul-Haq and Fakhar Zaman to push Pakistan on the back foot right at the start.

    Babar Azam and Shoaib Malik tried to normalise things for their team but the 82-run partnership between the two ended when Babar failed to read a googly from Kuldeep Yadav. His wicket marked the start of another downfall for Pakistan and they were bowled out on 162 in 43.1 overs.

    Indian openers Rohit Sharma and Shikhar Dhawan provided a solid start to the team with a partnership of 86 runs and the finishing task was done by Karthik and Ambati Rayudu, who shared 60 runs for the third wicket.

    India will now face Bangladesh, Pakistan and Afghanistan in their super-four ties next. All the three matches will be played in Dubai.
    Link: https://www.timesnownews.com/asia-cu...n-clash/287317


    P.S. I remember Sunny absolutely tearing apart Munaf Patel on air back during India's tour of South Africa in 2006 for a similar issue. This is one issue where you can't accuse Sunny to be biased. He has done it before, and much more brutally to Indian players.


    If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn’t arrived yet: Viv Richards

  2. #2
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    1,161
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with him
    Fakhar was bowling as if it was mohala match and he was forced to bowl

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,040
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He blasted Munaf Patel on air during a 2011 WC match for not having his jersey shirt tucked in.

    Clearly he is just very particular about these things no matter who is at the receiving end.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,833
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just old age syndrome when you criticize everything the current generation does. Basically you play within your comfortable space. Be it cap reversed , shirts out etc. I personally like to put my cap reversed since i feel the other way blocks my view. It is whatever you feel comfortable with so that you can give it you max.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,152
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair comments from Sunny here.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    407
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    This is just old age syndrome when you criticize everything the current generation does. Basically you play within your comfortable space. Be it cap reversed , shirts out etc. I personally like to put my cap reversed since i feel the other way blocks my view. It is whatever you feel comfortable with so that you can give it you max.
    Agreed, this is exactly what it is.

    Old man needs to chill.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,750
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    30 years as a commentator now, time for retirement Mr. Gavaskar. This is 2018, world has changed so have the youngsters

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    569
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunny Bhai is too irritating at times...same complains again and again..someone not dressed up right, someone got out after already getting the boundary of the first ball, someone doing shopping and not practising blah blah blah

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a zillion things to criticise Pakistani players for and this is right at the bottom of the list.
    Pathetic from sunny imo.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    2,569
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with gavaskar. These little things matter. At the end of the day it is gentlemen’s game.

  11. #11
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old age syndrome, nothing else.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    10,109
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Somebody, maybe the captain, should tell him that it’s the national cap. He should wear it properly. You can do this in PSL (Pakistan Super League) may be but this is the national team,” he said.
    Good to know that he doesn't take IPL and PSL seriously.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    20,854
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always find Sunny's remarks on such matters ironic considering how much he hates Lords and their pomposity


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    520
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunny once threw a hissy fit when some Indian assistant coach was wearing national cap, according to him that was an insult to all cricketers who had represented India all these years. He is very traditional in certain matters.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    407
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Sunny once threw a hissy fit when some Indian assistant coach was wearing national cap, according to him that was an insult to all cricketers who had represented India all these years. He is very traditional in certain matters.
    I feel sorry for his kids, no wonder his son wasn't successful.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    569
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching a game in mid 90s when a batsman nicked a delivery and looked back. Sunny on commentary said that whenever a batsman looks back at keeper, it's a sign that he nicked the delivery. My dad thot it was very refreshing and intelligent insight and I agreed. It's been 20+ years since then and even today Sunny keeps repeating the same comment everytime that happens and it's so frustrating to listen to that. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand any of these commentators and usually watch the match in mute. They all are so boring and so mundane that they offer no fun to the experience of watching a game. They keep on churning same comments over and over again, and have a patronizing attitude towards the current cricketers.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    2,190
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He’s right. One champs trophy win and a few Odis against some Minnows our players attitudes have become ridiculous.

    Fakhar clearly was having some fun and not serious.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,750
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    I remember watching a game in mid 90s when a batsman nicked a delivery and looked back. Sunny on commentary said that whenever a batsman looks back at keeper, it's a sign that he nicked the delivery. My dad thot it was very refreshing and intelligent insight and I agreed. It's been 20+ years since then and even today Sunny keeps repeating the same comment everytime that happens and it's so frustrating to listen to that. I don't know about you guys but I can't stand any of these commentators and usually watch the match in mute. They all are so boring and so mundane that they offer no fun to the experience of watching a game. They keep on churning same comments over and over again, and have a patronizing attitude towards the current cricketers.
    Standard ones that I have been listening to for almost 30 years
    1. Dont bowl on pads of Asian batsmen
    2. Convert ones into twos
    3. Slide your bat in
    4. while running between the wickets, always change the hand while turning for 2nd run
    5. Asian player should not take catches with fingers pointing uowatds, thats Australian way

    And many more. Same tone, same style of delivery. When he is in his elements though, he can dissect batting techniques even for a layman so easily. Still remember a TV series on great matches with some cricket coaching he used to do immediately after his retirement - "Sunil Gavaskar Presents". Was all class

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    569
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketindiafan View Post
    Standard ones that I have been listening to for almost 30 years
    1. Dont bowl on pads of Asian batsmen
    2. Convert ones into twos
    3. Slide your bat in
    4. while running between the wickets, always change the hand while turning for 2nd run
    5. Asian player should not take catches with fingers pointing uowatds, thats Australian way

    And many more. Same tone, same style of delivery. When he is in his elements though, he can dissect batting techniques even for a layman so easily. Still remember a TV series on great matches with some cricket coaching he used to do immediately after his retirement - "Sunil Gavaskar Presents". Was all class
    Hehe I agree man, the same comments over and over and over again. Never saw the series you talking about but I am sure it would have been good.

    With Sunny Bhai and ESPN, everything is about records. Highest 6th wicket partnership on XYZ ground in a day night match. I mean does it make any sense to pick such useless records from a sample set of 7-8 matches over 10 years?

    I am actually unable to figure out what drives sunny to commentary box? People who are so highly accomplished in life look for some new passion whether in sports or some other form of life. Kapil became a hotelier post retirement, imran got into politics, Sachin started 5 new things, Steve waugh got into charity..and here's sunny..coming to same commentary box for 30 years, no clue what excites him.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    6,750
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He makes nearly a million dollars from his commentary gigs. In 2016, BCCI was paying him 15k dollars per day of commentary. Not easy to walk away from such a high paying job.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    262
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    I remember watching a game in mid 90s when a batsman nicked a delivery and looked back. Sunny on commentary said that whenever a batsman looks back at keeper, it's a sign that he nicked the delivery. My dad thot it was very refreshing and intelligent insight and I agreed. It's been 20+ years since then and even today Sunny keeps repeating the same comment everytime that happens and it's so frustrating to listen to that.
    Yeah I've heard him say that and he was proven wrong by Alastair Cook who doesn't look back when he's nicked it.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    delhi
    Runs
    279
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At times he sounds like a disgruntled grandpa. He sounds even more cringe worthy when he tries to be funny or imitates the Jamaican accent. Yuck.

    I don't like bowlers with cap on though, unless it's a charity match or something.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluevision View Post
    At times he sounds like a disgruntled grandpa. He sounds even more cringe worthy when he tries to be funny or imitates the Jamaican accent. Yuck.

    I don't like bowlers with cap on though, unless it's a charity match or something.
    And the classic when a stumping review is on -the line belongs to the umpire!

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    26,177
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, was he thinking of fair play, spirit of the game, and national pride when he decide to walk of the pitch along with Chohaun against Australia?

    Maybe someone should ask him about that!


    Sir Mamoon:
    Is Yasir a very good spinner? No - Is Yasir good enough for overseas Tests? No

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,040
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's play a game. Who has earned the right to have an opinion on the national cap?

    Sunil Gavaskar, Fakhar Zaman, Munaf Patel or these plethora of "new-age" apologists here?

    Respect your national emblem. It's what you play for. This shouldn't have to be taught at this level.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    4,037
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    I always find Sunny's remarks on such matters ironic considering how much he hates Lords and their pomposity
    There is a difference between being "proper" and being "pompous".

    Gavaskar was a great player. He did not stand out because of his talent. He stood out because of his determination that he would not be beaten. He brought to his game a great focus and concentration, like Geoffrey Boycott.

    It is not surprising he wants players to be "proper" and respect the game.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    4,037
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Flanders View Post
    I feel sorry for his kids, no wonder his son wasn't successful.
    Rohan Gavaskar's lack of success as a cricketer can hardly be blamed on his father. Very very few players are successful at the highest levels.

    The fact that Rohan did not turn out to be a druggie, or a wastrel in some other fashion, makes him an outlier among children of famous men.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,424
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunil Gavaskar should just talk about indian players. It's not his job to talk about other team's player on how they wear cap.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,040
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Sunil Gavaskar should just talk about indian players. It's not his job to talk about other team's player on how they wear cap.
    Since you're not signing on his paycheck, I don't think you get to decide what Sunny does and doesn't say in commentary. He is in the comm box to view his opinions on all cricket related matters. Not just talk about India.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    74,784
    Mentioned
    4785 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    He should be blasted for copying Imad Wasim's action. Perhaps PCB can set up an inquiry.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    407
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Rohan Gavaskar's lack of success as a cricketer can hardly be blamed on his father. Very very few players are successful at the highest levels.

    The fact that Rohan did not turn out to be a druggie, or a wastrel in some other fashion, makes him an outlier among children of famous men.
    I stand by what I said.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    1,424
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    Since you're not signing on his paycheck, I don't think you get to decide what Sunny does and doesn't say in commentary. He is in the comm box to view his opinions on all cricket related matters. Not just talk about India.
    If Pakistani fans and players don't want to listen that then why should he care to talk about him? He can talk about any other country but try skipping most asian countries.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    6,169
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gavsakar is correct. Fakhar Zaman's carefree attitude is beginning to annoy me at times. Show some respect otherwise don't wear it at all. It is international Cricket not playing in the park. Such things tell a lot about the person overall in how he thinks.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    670
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Gavsakar is correct. Fakhar Zaman's carefree attitude is beginning to annoy me at times. Show some respect otherwise don't wear it at all. It is international Cricket not playing in the park. Such things tell a lot about the person overall in how he thinks.
    yes.
    Anything related to country should be respected. International games are not just a game.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    22,568
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fakhar Zamaan should do it again. Stupidity from Gavasker & much ado about nothing. Nothing else.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Gavaskar's observation. Fakhar Zaman is representing his country in an international event. Its a privilege and he should be respect the attire he is supposed to don. In part it reflects the team culture and displays personal responsibility.
    Anytime our players are on the fields, they should be dressed sharp when going in and dirty when leaving the field.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    8,607
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunny is right. This is disgraceful from Fakhar and what is more funny is fans here are having a go on Sunny.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    20,854
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    There is a difference between being "proper" and being "pompous".

    Gavaskar was a great player. He did not stand out because of his talent. He stood out because of his determination that he would not be beaten. He brought to his game a great focus and concentration, like Geoffrey Boycott.

    It is not surprising he wants players to be "proper" and respect the game.

    Such criticism are so shallow

    Patriotism isn’t measured by such things, besides Fahkar was a marine once, I’m sure he knows how to be respectful.


    "Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,833
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically, according to Sunny lovers here, a player should have his shirt tucked in, wear a tie and black polished shoes for him to be patriotic. To score 36(174) chasing 334 while playing for his country is allowed in patriotism.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    716
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His stylish innings of 36 in a match of 60 overs a side was the epitome of stylish batting.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    2,040
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistanigoneaussie View Post
    Such criticism are so shallow

    Patriotism isn’t measured by such things, besides Fahkar was a marine once, I’m sure he knows how to be respectful.
    Actually it is a very valid criticism. I'm pretty sure Pakistan's constitution has a clause which says that you cannot disrespect the national flag.

    The national emblem on the team cap is very much a substitute for the national flag.

    You don't have to like what Sunny has to say. You don't have to subscribe to his thinking, either. But his point is a 100% valid.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    13,877
    Mentioned
    636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    As long as it's not a rule, people should be able to wear a cap the way they want.

    Criticism over this is unfair.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    608
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with this, The cap should be worn respectfully. If he is out practising then wear it back to front by all means not when national anthem is playing.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •