Venue
    The Dark Side
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I pity for those who are posting things like “haters have been silenced.”

Firstly, this is PSL. Equivalent to League 2 in Football in terms of quality.

Secondly, likes of Asif Ali and Faheem have failed to deliver on a consistent basis at International level away from home.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really believe Jos will go down as England's greatest ever limited overs batsmen of all-time. So, the benchmark set for Asif Ali was just too high and improbable by OP.

Butter has started performing in tests as well and it's to be seen how far he goes in longer format of the game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I really believe Jos will go down as England's greatest ever limited overs batsmen of all-time. So, the benchmark set for Asif Ali was just too high and improbable by OP.

Butter has started performing in tests as well and it's to be seen how far he goes in longer format of the game.
    Ball striking ability cannot be measured just by six hitting. Balance, head position, sound base many things to have be in sync to be a consistently good hitter. Those who struggle with getting into good positions will eventually fade away.

Perfect example of having a sound base, nice swing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEv-CgA51A0

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Ball striking ability cannot be measured just by six hitting. Balance, head position, sound base many things to have be in sync to be a consistently good hitter. Those who struggle with getting into good positions will eventually fade away.

So, now you want him to play Gilchrist role?

Few days back, there was a thread - "PSL is starting and everything will be forgotten ........ " , this just the start, so have patience.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post

I never compared him to Buttler. I explicitly said as much in the OP: N.B: "To be clear, I am not comparing the ability of Asif Ali with Jos Buttler. Rather I am saying they can play a similar role for their respective national teams."

Not my fault if people can't read. Yet to see one poster who is critical of my view in this thread actually engage with my analysis. Instead they just want to strawman...

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post

Check out this six from Ben McDermott. Perfect strike.
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th February 2019 at 11:56.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    So, now you want him to play Gilchrist role?

Few days back, there was a thread - "PSL is starting and everything will be forgotten ........ " , this just the start, so have patience.
    Using him as an example. You could use Razzaq as an example as well. Your big hitting style also determines your consistency.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Check out this six from Ben McDermott. Perfect strike.
    yes . hardly any follow through.
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th February 2019 at 11:57.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Don't be swayed by today's innings. Asif is and will remain a proper hack without a future in international cricket. Any half decent spinner will have him for breakfast.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The best Asif could hope for is a Robin Singh. Robin had big hitting along with temperment although he had limited talent. Asif needs to understand that he needs to take ownership of the last 10 overs in Pak innings. He needs to stay on the wicket. That's the difference between T20 and ODI. By 40th over, Pak typically is 4 to 5 wickets down. A 40 (30) is more valuable than 25(15) in Pak setup at the death. Once he has the skills like consistent strike rotation, he can unleash his strokes in the last 2 to 3 overs. He can then don the role of a finisher. That's the only role hes suitable for as his technique is not good enough to be a top order bat. He's not an all-rounder like Imad or Robin either. He has a long way to go.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just the other week these 2 joke of batsman(shadab Asif) couldn’t chase 40 runs with 8 wckts in hand, against SA z team.. This overated league will only produce hacks like talat asif sohail akhtars who will get found out at intnl level.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Minnow bashers firing now. Faheem, Asif and Talat will play the world cup after bashing PSL bowlers. These guys are club level players who will perform against Zimbabwe but go missing against top teams.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is perfect definition of a hack. Keep him away from ineternational team.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Decent against pace , very poor against spinners , nothing temperament.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    He is perfect definition of a hack. Keep him away from ineternational team.
    Definitely not a hack because some of his shots oozes with swag and definitely on his day he can absolutely murder some of the big fast bowlers , but he is so limited in talent(against spinners) and temperament that he will fail 4/5 times in International arena.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muhammad saad View Post
    Definitely not a hack because some of his shots oozes with swag and definitely on his day he can absolutely murder some of the big fast bowlers , but he is so limited in talent(against spinners) and temperament that he will fail 4/5 times in International arena.
    You defined hack perfectly.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can never play the Jos Buttler role but he can be a decent T20 player for Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Asif seems to be inspired by Buttler today

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was lucky with the drop but batted quite well, although he cashed in with the pies of Shinwari and Munro.

Deserves a few more chances in international cricket before we write him off, maybe at 4/5.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by babajee View Post
    Was lucky with the drop but batted quite well, although he cashed in with the pies of Shinwari and Munro.

Deserves a few more chances in international cricket before we write him off, maybe at 4/5.
    if the guy scores and wins you 1 in 10 matches while contributing in other wins then he is worth having in our team. each individual should be able to win games for their teams.

we need asif ali in our trundling batting line up

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As mentioned before the start of this tournament, there was no point dropping him during the ODI series against SA because he was always going to shine again in the PSL and thus return to the Pakistan side.

I'll say it again he needs to be persisted.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The moment I saw the scorecard I knew people will be calling for his selection.

He's a hack, he's good for T20s.

He adds no value to an already weak ODI line up.

It be different if he was a wicketkeeper or an all rounder.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    if the guy scores and wins you 1 in 10 matches while contributing in other wins then he is worth having in our team. each individual should be able to win games for their teams.

we need asif ali in our trundling batting line up
    So you basically want a poor man's Afridi that doesn't even bowl?

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    As mentioned before the start of this tournament, there was no point dropping him during the ODI series against SA because he was always going to shine again in the PSL and thus return to the Pakistan side.

I'll say it again he needs to be persisted.
    and will disappoint in the national team till next season of PSL arrives

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ali is a clean striker of the ball and if he is given enough opportunity, consistency will come through.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    The moment I saw the scorecard I knew people will be calling for his selection.

He's a hack, he's good for T20s.

He adds no value to an already weak ODI line up.

It be different if he was a wicketkeeper or an all rounder.
    The problem is bro no one comes close when it comes to hitters lower down the order. May not be an automatic starter but deserves to be in the WC squad as a backup lower middle order bat.

I believe he will come good whether it will be in time for WC is the question...

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem is bro no one comes close when it comes to hitters lower down the order. May not be an automatic starter but deserves to be in the WC squad as a backup lower middle order bat.

I believe he will come good whether it will be in time for WC is the question...
    I agree man but take a look at the big hitters in world cricket, every single one of them bowl or are keepers Maxwell, Munro, Afridi, Yousuf Pathan, Thisera Perera, Dwayne Bravo, Kieron Pollard, Andre Russell, Corey Anderson, Brendon McCullum, Jos Butler, etc and I could name more.

No team has a player solely as a batsman because of his hitting ability.

It shouldn't even be an option to consider for Pakistan because of how weak our line up is. I'd rather give that spot to Umar Akmal and have Umar bat at 4.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Misbah coming out of retirment to slog sweep every shot over cow corner is a better option.

The guy is a nothing hitter at the international stage. Hitting shots in the terrible quality of PSL means little.

The idea that someone like him can take an ODI spot is shameful

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He's a very clean hitter, we know this already. But he was exposed against SA, you can't slog that level of bowler, you need proper batsmen against the best quicks.

I know he's not popular, but it takes someone like Umar Akmal to smash the best pace bowlers.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asif Ali is not as good as Jos Buttler. He is able to only demonstrate short bursts of dominant power hitting. Glancing at his First Class Numbers an Average of 21 is Brutal. A more skilled batsman just by accident would be better. Asif is a Lower Order Slogger who is Fearless in his Approach. But to expect Jos Buttler level performance is foolhardy.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately hasnt been able to reproduce 5% of his PSL performance in the international stage.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    Asif Ali is not as good as Jos Buttler. He is able to only demonstrate short bursts of dominant power hitting. Glancing at his First Class Numbers an Average of 21 is Brutal. A more skilled batsman just by accident would be better. Asif is a Lower Order Slogger who is Fearless in his Approach. But to expect Jos Buttler level performance is foolhardy.
    Reading the OP usually helps...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Reading the OP usually helps...
    As I said earlier, you created unnecessary controversy by using Buttler’s name. You could have easily explained what Asif can offer to Pakistan without using Buttler as a template.

As a result, no matter how much you explain that you are not comparing their abilities, it is only natural that people will end up comparing the two.

Perhaps the mods should edit the title and remove the Buttler bit from the post to stop people from making the comparisons. It will also make your life easier because you wouldn’t have to explain yourself again and again.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    As I said earlier, you created unnecessary controversy by using Buttler’s name. You could have easily explained what Asif can offer to Pakistan without using Buttler as a template.

As a result, no matter how much you explain that you are not comparing their abilities, it is only natural that people will end up comparing the two.

Perhaps the mods should edit the title and remove the Buttler bit from the post to stop people from making the comparisons. It will also make your life easier because you wouldn’t have to explain yourself again and again.
    My starting assumption is that people actually read what is written before commenting/criticising. This thread has proved to be a good way of filtering out those who don't.

On topic, one thing I have noticed re Asif this PSL is he is not going back into his crease every delivery now. He still does it but is not signposting it like he used to.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buttler will retire from cricket if he reads this thread.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I have noticed re Asif this PSL is he is not going back into his crease every delivery now. He still does it but is not signposting it like he used to.
    Forget everything else about yesterday's innings.

That checked shot against SSA was wondrous.

Also, in the game vs PZ I noticed Asif was actually taking a few steps towards the fast bowler, which is something new from him.

Both of these things combined show he is growing increasingly confident/developing with each game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OP using yesterday innings to prove a point . He has to do at intentional level. I think in T20s he can do a good job. But in ODIs when there is more thinking required, I am not sure he is the answer.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    OP using yesterday innings to prove a point . He has to do at intentional level. I think in T20s he can do a good job. But in ODIs when there is more thinking required, I am not sure he is the answer.
    Read again. All I have talked about is his development.

I agree he has to do it at international level. But he's not going to do that if he is not selected...

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Read again. All I have talked about is his development.

I agree he has to do it at international level. But he's not going to do that if he is not selected...
    Why bump this thread to talk about his development? He will never play the Jos Buttler role because be can't play 360 degree versus pace and spin and can't rebuild an innings.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Played exceptionally well against Lahore yesterday.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Why bump this thread to talk about his development? He will never play the Jos Buttler role because be can't play 360 degree versus pace and spin and can't rebuild an innings.
    Asif can play 360* and his defense okay but he needs to rotate strike better.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asif can play 360* and his defense okay but he needs to rotate strike better.
    I think he has the Afridi syndrome and feels that almost every ball is hittable.

Iftikhar is more calculating and has a better chance of succeeding in that role. Ideally it should be someone like U. Akmal building up an innings and then finishing it.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asif is a hack and not ODI material.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say what you want, he is a born matchwinner.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Say what you want, he is a born matchwinner.
    you can't have a hard hitting batsman taking up a batsmen's spot.

all the big hitters around the world can either bowl a few overs or are keepers.

and i shouldn't have to explain the reasoning behind that.

he is fine for t20s not for ODIs

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    you can't have a hard hitting batsman taking up a batsmen's spot.

all the big hitters around the world can either bowl a few overs or are keepers.

and i shouldn't have to explain the reasoning behind that.

he is fine for t20s not for ODIs
    I think Asif will be big for the WT20 next year. Not an ODI player as of now but he is the best hitter in Pakistan by far.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Asif will be big for the WT20 next year. Not an ODI player as of now but he is the best hitter in Pakistan by far.
    yes for t20s he is a great addition

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certainly miles ahead of any other batter in current Pakistani circuit I hope they will use him in T20s regularly

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just read his daughter had been seriously sick for a year...rhat must be really tough for the guy feel for him

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is bit of a hack but gotta admit that he hits MASSIVE sixes, I haven't seen a Pakistani batsmen hit such huge sixes since Afridi back in his better days. Asif also has good hitting technique, just stays still and hits straight or on the long-on.

I think ODIs are not his format since at number 6 he often has to build an innings, he is better in T20s where he just has to slog.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Asif Ali can only perform in PSL. He is a failure in international cricket. He is very poor against short pitch deliveries.

Rlaely it deson’t mttaer waht I wirte you’ll sitll uanrtednsnd it

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Lol @ people who have been on this forum for years unable to understand what the OP actually meant. Nowhere did he call Asif the next Buttler; he is levels below, but OP compared the ROLES they both play.

Thread is valid.

Asif should stick to T20s for now, though.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner Up View Post
    Asif Ali can only perform in PSL. He is a failure in international cricket. He is very poor against short pitch deliveries.
    People can't see that, I don't blame them for their lack of understanding. Asif is a Hack of highest level and should never be in Pak International Team

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say what you want but he hits them BIG. needs to tighten up but I hope hes on the plane to the UK. There is a long build up for PAK in the UK and Asif can use that time to adjust.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pakistani pride View Post
    Say what you want but he hits them BIG. needs to tighten up but I hope hes on the plane to the UK. There is a long build up for PAK in the UK and Asif can use that time to adjust.
    Yeah I think that sometimes, let's just risk it

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    He is bit of a hack but gotta admit that he hits MASSIVE sixes, I haven't seen a Pakistani batsmen hit such huge sixes since Afridi back in his better days. Asif also has good hitting technique, just stays still and hits straight or on the long-on.

I think ODIs are not his format since at number 6 he often has to build an innings, he is better in T20s where he just has to slog.
    He is not a hack. He is a clean hitter. His temperament and, as you pointed out ability to build the innings is the problem.

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He's fine for T20s. He cannot build an innings so he cannot play ODIs.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    where do we even slot him?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Needs to be backed and given a try in the power play overs where the field is in.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be forced to play cricket 5 days of the week by PCB and should be asked to play spinners especially mystery spinners in order to develop his batting against spin otherwise there's no way he can improve and come anywhere close to Jos Buttler. He looks all at sea against wrist spinners and can't rotate the strike freely against pace as well as spin.

PCB must take extreme steps for him to develop if they consider him as their asset, or should not bother at all and drop him for good

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always thought it was a big blunder by Inzy and co to exclude him from the squad. He deserved more chances to prove his worth.

Settling for accumulators and pesudo-all rounders like Faheem isn't going to help us reach par scores let alone match winning totals. Asif Ali on his day however will and I'm convinced with opportunities he will improve against spin and with strike rotation.