Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasim Akram should be the head coach of Pakistan

Well firstly I am not here post any rubbish thread. Even I think we should stick with Mickey until world cup but yeah, I am not seeing bright future of him along with Sarfraz. Australia and New Zealand series would be a game changer for team management. Specially for coaching staff.

I have a strong feeling that Imran Khan will take notice soon after getting criticism of being a cricketer Pm but he isn't not doing anything about cricket blah blah. Anyways I will not get into politics. But there are possibilities that they would consider Waseem Akram or Javed Miandad as a head coach of Pakistan. Because Imran likes them, even maybe Waqar..

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep just lock your wrists and flick it and you will swing the ball around goal posts on UAE pitches.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmm I think Imran will stay out of direct involvement from now, he has bigger things to worry about.

It will be up to the Board surely. Waqar has recently had a go and achieved middling results. Wasim doesn't seem to want it full time- he makes a lot of money doing media without all the criticism and heartache. Does he even have his coaching certificates/credentials? I don't know Javed's coaching record so can't comment.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Hmm I think Imran will stay out of direct involvement from now, he has bigger things to worry about.

It will be up to the Board surely. Waqar has recently had a go and achieved middling results. Wasim doesn't seem to want it full time- he makes a lot of money doing media without all the criticism and heartache. Does he even have his coaching certificates/credentials? I don't know Javed's coaching record so can't comment.
    As coach, he will have to actually do something. He can't collect checks for some made up position like he used to do few years ago. Some Pakistan poster can correct me if I got it wrong.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Akram working with the pace bowlers? If not, he should.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PCB needs to pay him well if they want to rope him in. He already makes a lot of money with his commentary assignments, and that's a job that is without any headaches. So unless PCB pays him much more than what he is already making, don't think he would be interested.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The first thing he would do is bring back Shezad, Irfan, Tanvir and Gul.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsin123 View Post
    The first thing he would do is bring back Shezad, Irfan, Tanvir and Gul.
    Also Umar Akmal and Kamran Akmal - lets recreate the excellence of yesteryear.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB cannot afford Wasim, he will need Million dollar a year contract like BCCI gives. Otherwise he is very happy with his Star Sports contract, IPL, PSL and T10.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, calm down. Its good this has happened now
    These players will improve further. Howver, we may need to get rid of some players who get preferential treatment such as Amir

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And what difference will bringing in Wasim make? Zilch.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is a bowling coach. Not a strategic team coach/manager.

Mickey has won us a ICC trophy and got rid of TTFs. Let him finish his project. Its only the Asia Cup who cares.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is clueless when it comes to the modern game. It seems to be ingrained in Pakistanis and he is no exception - where he believes in a defensive mindset in our batting and aiming for 250-270. That will work in UAE on ultra slow pitches and large grounds but elsewhere we will be hitting way below par.

He would be no different to Waqar. Mickey Arthur is a good coach having to contend with a poor captain, low talent pool and a shoddy cricket system.
    Last edited by topspin; 27th September 2018 at 16:30.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy is brought up on Indian dollars, he'd be a terrible coach, as bad as someone like Shastri.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would Wasim Akram make a good coach for Pakistan?

What do you guys think? He seems to be a more intelligent and a better strategist than Waqar Younis and Misbah, he was also a FAR better captain than both as well as the more talented player, after looking at the success of his commentary buddy Ravi Shastri with the Indian team, I'm wondering if he should be given a shot

I know he's a controversial choice and there are rumors that he's been blackballed from ever holding any position with the national cricket team although I'm not exactly sure but if he's allowed to coach in the PSL, IPL and hold bowling camps with the national team then he shouldn't be stopped from being the head coach.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not at all. Wasim would be a good man manager but the real truth is we need someone who can fix technical faults of our batsmen and groom a good team.

Wasim is too laid back and doesn’t like getting his hands dirty, his approach is similar to Ravi Shastri - be a good cheerleader.

However, Shastri has one thing that Wasim does not. Rahul Dravid.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope

Couple of camps here and there are good but a full time job I'll leave it to the proffesionals

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wasim would tell shaheen to simply flick his wrist

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can but he need backend support.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wasim will not have stomach for the job. He will make time for 1-2 months in the PSL, IPL but he can't do it for a full year, not with a young wife and a young daughter. He had infact cut down on his IPL and Indian Media commitments before Indo-Pak relations started to deteriorate anyways.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Not at all. Wasim would be a good man manager but the real truth is we need someone who can fix technical faults of our batsmen and groom a good team.

Wasim is too laid back and doesn’t like getting his hands dirty, his approach is similar to Ravi Shastri - be a good cheerleader.

However, Shastri has one thing that Wasim does not. Rahul Dravid.
    Technical flaws can't be fixed at international level. You'll need several years of good coaching at grassroots level and first-class cricket, otherwise we're doomed to remain stuck in the same vicious cycle.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure about good, but most certainly better than Misbah and Waqar combined.

Though, a vacuum as coach would be an upgrade over those two bozos. So, this isn't really saying much

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? I mean one of the major problems with Pakistan cricket is that they have always chosen wrong heroes. After what Wasim did in 90s (justice qayyam report), would you really like him to be in charge of youngsters in a cricket team? Not sure, what makes you think he won't do it again. A man is sum total of everything he is, you can't discard his vices and look only at his strengths, when choosing him for a role.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need to understand that one person cant change everything.
    You need to work with many people at different levels to fix the issues from bottom to top.

That's how our system is working, retired players like Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Sachin and VVS are contributing to cricket at different levels. Which helping further to coaches and captains.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Technical flaws can't be fixed at international level. You'll need several years of good coaching at grassroots level and first-class cricket, otherwise we're doomed to remain stuck in the same vicious cycle.
    I agree. Unfortunately, we’re in this position now so we have to fix our grassroots for long term results but also considering the short term we need a hands on coach for the senior team.

The only thing that lets me sleep at night is that Younis Khan is working with Haider Ali and Babar is working with Abdullah Shafique.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thiers no chance of him being a full time coach

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Wasim will not have stomach for the job. He will make time for 1-2 months in the PSL, IPL but he can't do it for a full year, not with a young wife and a young daughter. He had infact cut down on his IPL and Indian Media commitments before Indo-Pak relations started to deteriorate anyways.
    exactly thiers no chance of him being involved in the pcb on a full time basis

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim's coaching stint will be full of abstract expletitives like 'larana sikha daingay' 'jaan maarna sikha daingay' with 'attitude' 'passion' and 'dilairi', he is not much different coaching wise to Waqar. They both are unable to pass on their magic to the youngsters. Wasim what he is able to do with the ball was an art that only he can perform because he has the gift. If Wasim Akram could make another Wasim Akram, we would've seen it by now. We have seen quite a few wannabee's. The most notable one was Mohammad Amir, but we all know how that turned out. Plus if you listen to his commentary, he looks extremely out of touch with the modern game.

His PSL record he is successful when he is around other coaches like Dean Jones. Which was the same with Waqar, once Wasim joined Multan Sultans (which failed badly).
    Last edited by waleed88; 20th January 2021 at 21:36.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    The only thing that lets me sleep at night is that Younis Khan is working with Haider Ali and Babar is working with Abdullah Shafique.
    Is he? I have not seen anything to suggest what work is being done in the off season. Minor tinkering during Test series does not count.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    You need to work with many people at different levels to fix the issues from bottom to top.

That's how our system is working, retired players like Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, Sachin and VVS are contributing to cricket at different levels. Which helping further to coaches and captains.
    Agree, have no problem with former players getting a position at some advisory level, but for coaching would probably be better to hire qualified coaches. Not really sure that any of the Pakistan former players have badges.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Agree, have no problem with former players getting a position at some advisory level, but for coaching would probably be better to hire qualified coaches. Not really sure that any of the Pakistan former players have badges.
    Ijaz Ahmed has been doing it for a while..also what do you mean by qualified like certification?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post

Yeah seems like the OPis coming from a very American pro sport pov where all these youngsters are available for drafting and just changing coaches , management works.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want Wasim for his motivational speeches and cheerleading qualities (like his mate Shastri has), then I think Shoaib Akhtar would be a better choice.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Wasim's coaching stint will be full of abstract expletitives like 'larana sikha daingay' 'jaan maarna sikha daingay' with 'attitude' 'passion' and 'dilairi', he is not much different coaching wise to Waqar. They both are unable to pass on their magic to the youngsters. Wasim what he is able to do with the ball was an art that only he can perform because he has the gift. If Wasim Akram could make another Wasim Akram, we would've seen it by now. We have seen quite a few wannabee's. The most notable one was Mohammad Amir, but we all know how that turned out. Plus if you listen to his commentary, he looks extremely out of touch with the modern game.

His PSL record he is successful when he is around other coaches like Dean Jones. Which was the same with Waqar, once Wasim joined Multan Sultans (which failed badly).
    Wasim as coach has clarified that he doesn't really focus that much on technical stuff and instead his focus is more on a few minor tweeks here and there, he actually focuses mostly on the strengths of each individual player and how to get the most out of them

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why not simply put a poster in every pacers room? - " Lock the wrist."

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    If you want Wasim for his motivational speeches and cheerleading qualities (like his mate Shastri has), then I think Shoaib Akhtar would be a better choice.
    Shastri is smart that way, he got a batting coach, a fielding coach and a bowling coach. He's there just enjoying himself giving his one liners every now and then. Having said that, as far as this series is concerned, he has redeemed himself.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Ijaz Ahmed has been doing it for a while..also what do you mean by qualified like certification?
    Yes, that's how it works in England, there are several levels of coaching certification, you don't just get to call yourself a coach by giving yourself a title.

Now I can understand that in Pakistan where there isn't really even a proper cricket structure, that is probably asking a bit much, but still you should have some sort of technical insight. Maybe hire foreign coaches if there is no such qualification in Pk.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    lol he literally makes every decision now and is wrong with pretty much all

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Wasim doesn't want the hassle of being Pakistan Head Coach.

He's ok doing some coaching here and there, but no way will he want the pressure of the national job and all the baggage that comes with it.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true. Shastri has redeemed himself. He has galvanised this team (along with Rahane) into a winning one after that Adelaide drubbing. That is an incredible achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Shastri is smart that way, he got a batting coach, a fielding coach and a bowling coach. He's there just enjoying himself giving his one liners every now and then. Having said that, as far as this series is concerned, he has redeemed himself.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

He's ok doing some coaching here and there, but no way will he want the pressure of the national job and all the baggage that comes with it.
    Pretty much this.

As far as Wasim is concerned, he is still a legend and can maintain that legacy eternally without having to do anything at all.

Waqar's repeated failed stints as coach have put a massive blot on how he will be remembered in generations to come.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Pretty much this.

As far as Wasim is concerned, he is still a legend and can maintain that legacy eternally without having to do anything at all.

Waqar's repeated failed stints as coach have put a massive blot on how he will be remembered in generations to come.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Wasim has his finger in a lot of pies - mentor roles, coaching stints, business ventures, advertising gigs, commentary - why would he want the thankless task of coaching any Pakistan team.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep shady characters away.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Pretty much this.

Lol Waqar has taken many digs at Wasim and other legends in interviews by saying that atleast i have the guts to put my reputation on the line by taking on this role of coaching the national side, i don't just talk in the commentary booth or sit at home resting on my laurels, i genuinely want to give back to the country and i can actually make more money just by commentary or coaching in the T-20 leagues but i feel for Pakistan Cricket and cannot see the team struggle.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummii View Post
    Well firstly I am not here post any rubbish thread. Even I think we should stick with Mickey until world cup but yeah, I am not seeing bright future of him along with Sarfraz. Australia and New Zealand series would be a game changer for team management. Specially for coaching staff.

I have a strong feeling that Imran Khan will take notice soon after getting criticism of being a cricketer Pm but he isn't not doing anything about cricket blah blah. Anyways I will not get into politics. But there are possibilities that they would consider Waseem Akram or Javed Miandad as a head coach of Pakistan. Because Imran likes them, even maybe Waqar..
    Wasim Akram refused to be a full time coach for Pakistan. He is only interested in doing small gigs. Because he makes a lot of money doing temporary jobs. Like coach for Karachi King or doing commentary for a series. He wants to live partially in Australia because of his wife.

And he never applies for Pakistan Head or bowling coach position. Because then he will have to stay with the Pakistan team all around the year. They have tried to persuade him to be Pakistan's coach but he always refuses.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram needs money. If he gets what Shastri is getting i.e. around 10 Crores INR,
    he will coach any team in the world anywhere, I am pretty sure of that.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will bring more politics into Cricket but I wouldn’t mind if he coach U-19 team.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If not in the role of a coach, Wasim Akram should somehow be involved with PCB and be able to mentor and motivate the cricketers in the PCT dressing room. I just saw Shastri giving a pep talk to the team and thought that is exactly the role Wasim Akram (or even Shoaib Akhtar) could play in the Pakistan dressing room,

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    If not in the role of a coach, Wasim Akram should somehow be involved with PCB and be able to mentor and motivate the cricketers in the PCT dressing room. I just saw Shastri giving a pep talk to the team and thought that is exactly the role Wasim Akram (or even Shoaib Akhtar) could play in the Pakistan dressing room,
    He's on the PCB Cricket Committee and in all honesty at the moment I think that's all Pakistan cricket can expect for him to agree to.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    And Mohammad Azharuddin can be the batting coach. We can also rope in Amir as our t20 bowling consultant. That’ll be the dream team.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont expect him to be part of the coaching team anytime soon unless hes being payed the same about as other big name coaches