Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

Will Mohammad Amir rediscover his best form for Pakistan?

His struggles are well-documented and now he has been dropped from the Pakistan Test squad for Australia.

This can only go 2 ways:

He gets some rest and works on issues regarding his bowling and comes back a better bowler.

Or he continues to struggle and is lost in the wilderness that is Pakistan domestic cricket.

Which way do you think it will go?

--------------------------------------
    Sky Sports article:

Out of sorts in ODI cricket and axed from Pakistan's Test squad, Mohammad Amir's career has started to dwindle. Saj Sadiq looks at the possible reasons why and if he can rediscover his form…

Mohammad Amir has been left out of Pakistan's Test squad to play Australia

The Mohammad Amir story is one that has all the hallmarks of a great cinema blockbuster.

The humble beginnings of a young and talented cricketer, blessed with ability that bordered on the unnatural, and introduced to the high-profile world of cricket. His uncanny ability to swing the ball was compared by many to Wasim Akram, with greatness forecast for the young man.

But then, as with all blockbusters, tragedy struck, and our much-hyped hero was involved in one of the sorriest episodes to afflict the game of cricket, the spot-fixing scandal. Banned for five years, the career of one of the most promising cricketers came to an abrupt halt in its infancy. Humiliation, rather than adulation, was what Amir had to face around the globe.

The naysayers, including current and former Pakistani players, appeared in large numbers, baying for the youngster's head. Depending on how severe the feelings were, there were demands for a life ban for Amir. Friends deserted him in large numbers, his only drive to return to cricket came from his love of the game. His devotion to the love of his life, cricket, was one factor that kept him hoping for a happy ending to his tale.

Amir claimed seven wickets in two Tests against England this summer

So, in September 2015, a reformed Amir re-appeared and his long-suffering supporters hoped he could continue his career without controversy and negativity. At this point, one would expect uplifting music to play and the credits to roll in a classic happy ending to a complex and sad story. But the truth of Amir's rehabilitation and redemption is a little different and continues to have twists and turns.

Absent for five years from the international scene, it was always going to be a tough task for Amir to regain bowling excellence that made him so special in his early days. The ways of the real world where happy endings are usually confined to the pages of a fairy tale would have dawned on Amir as he quickly realised that perhaps he was not the same bowler he was and may never reach those dizzy heights.

Initially, the world of cricket, possibly consumed by the need to believe Amir's redemption was complete, looked for ways to explain how he had not managed to regain the form which made him so special before. The fact that catches were being dropped with alarming consistency off his bowling was touted as a possible reason and there was ample evidence to back this theory.

But as the wickets figure in his bowling statistics continued to show little growth, doubts started to creep into the minds of his ardent supporters. Issues with his bowling technique were evident to many including the man he was supposed to emulate in terms of success - Wasim Akram spoke openly about Amir's problems with his wrist position.

While the technical aspects of his bowling were being looked at with some suspicion, interest in the non-tangible areas of Amir's cricket was also gaining some importance.

Amir has bagged 107 wickets in his 33 Tests to date

The term big-match player was used often to describe the manner in which Amir would step up in games of importance to win games for Pakistan. Perhaps this was another way to express the fact Amir was mentally and physically failing to show up for the other matches that Pakistan were playing and which were not deemed as big or high profile.

Once a go-to weapon for his captain in Tests, Amir's struggles in cricket were affecting the format that saw him get so much success before his ban. Since his return to Test cricket in 2016 against England, in a total of 19 Test matches he has taken just 56 wickets at 33.21 runs apiece and has only one five-wicket haul to show for his efforts.

Similarly, in Pakistan's 'home' venue of the UAE, his struggles have shown no signs of improvement - he has just seven wickets in four Test matches albeit in less bowler-friendly conditions.

The continued selection of Amir in all formats has seen much criticism. The Champions Trophy Final performance has been used as a prime example of how his extraordinary skills have given Pakistan the advantage in times of need - but a quick look at his overall performances in ODIs paints a worrying picture.

In 31 ODIs since his return in 2015, he has just 33 wickets at an average of 36.66 without any four or five-wicket performances to show for his efforts.

Amir averages over 100 in ODIs in 2018, taking just three wickets in 10 games

The final straw for Inzamam-ul-Haq, his fellow selectors and fans alike has been his absolute nightmare at the recent Asia Cup tournament, where he ended up wicketless in Pakistan's failed campaign. In fact, the rot did not start for Amir in the Asia Cup but before, with his last five ODIs yielding nothing in the wickets column.

The frustration with the rarity of any useful performances by Amir started to show during the Asia Cup where he was seen carrying towels and drinks for his team on two occasions.

Suddenly from being the leader of the pack, Amir was finding himself not even being part of the starting line-up and on the fringes in ODIs. To add insult to injury, his name is now missing from the Test squad announced for the upcoming series against Australia in UAE.

Now 26 years of age, Amir finds himself at another crossroads where a failure to improve himself could deal an irrecoverable blow to his career. He survived a crisis before and came back stronger but that has not lasted and he finds himself struggling for form and in the wilderness once more.

The spot-fixing affair was a test of character from which Amir bounced back with gusto and proved his critics wrong. His ability has never been in question, but even for someone as mentally tough as Amir, there must be some self-doubts as he faces a time where he has to reflect and think hard about his lack of success.

Many say he needs to get back to basics, rest, recharge his batteries and work on the evident technical glitches but, once again, the eyes of the watching world are on him as he tries to bounce back from a severe loss of confidence.

It remains to be seen if the Amir who impressed so many experts during the early stages of his career and during the latter stages of the 2017 Champions Trophy reappears, or whether he will remain a distant memory.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...m-for-pakistan
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 29th September 2018 at 21:45.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is lost. I feel like he was swapped with someone else during jailtime lol.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will definetly be back. Most probably before the World Cup.

Because he’s too big of a name to be left in the wilderness like that. I think he’ll most likely return for the NZ ODI series or the South Africa test series.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1726 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    His struggles are well-documented and now he has been dropped from the Pakistan Test squad for Australia.

This can only go 2 ways:

He gets some rest and works on issues regarding his bowling and comes back a better bowler.

Or he continues to struggle and is lost in the wilderness that is Pakistan domestic cricket.

Which way do you thin it will go?
    Depends on what PCB think of his talent.

If I were a CEO and one of my prized assets was losing its value, I would do what it takes to ensure that the his value is restored; if that means, sending him away into a one-on-one camp for a few months then so be it.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What form? We have seen his true capabilities. That England tour in 2010 created an illusion he was a world class bowler when people forget that series was played in the most bowling friendly conditions where the Pakistani team must have bowled under 100 atleast 4-5 times. Even the then coach Waqar Younis mentioned it was the toughest conditions he had ever seen during his time for the full series.

Amir's true capabilities have been seen on how he does on regular subcontinent tracks. He can't even do anything on Australian Wickets.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1019 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Depends on what PCB think of his talent.

If I were a CEO and one of my prized assets was losing its value, I would do what it takes to ensure that the his value is restored; if that means, sending him away into a one-on-one camp for a few months then so be it.
    Except Amir is a liability, not an asset.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mohammad Amir's days are limited. He no longer has the pace and consistent wicket-taking ability that he had back in 2010 before his ban. Like other user, I concur he is ineffective on Asian and Australian wickets and only does okay once in a while and that too on English tracks. He's not someone we can really rely on for regular wicket-taking, rather he's becoming a liability and run leaker. Batsmen don't even fear him anymore, he doesn't even have that Economy advantage that he once had when they would play him. Not to mention, he's approaching the age of 30 and is only going to go more downhill with time, age, and fatigue. So it's better to get rid of him along with Shinwari and replace him with Shaheen Afridi, and keep Hasan Ali and Junaid Khan while keeping a close eye on domestics for other younger talent.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidji View Post
    I think Mohammad Amir's days are limited. He no longer has the pace and consistent wicket-taking ability that he had back in 2010 before his ban. Like other user, I concur he is ineffective on Asian and Australian wickets and only does okay once in a while and that too on English tracks. He's not someone we can really rely on for regular wicket-taking, rather he's becoming a liability and run leaker. Batsmen don't even fear him anymore, he doesn't even have that Economy advantage that he once had when they would play him. Not to mention, he's approaching the age of 30 and is only going to go more downhill with time, age, and fatigue. So it's better to get rid of him along with Shinwari and replace him with Shaheen Afridi, and keep Hasan Ali and Junaid Khan while keeping a close eye on domestics for other younger talent.
    For me, the biggest plus of having a Pakistani bowling attack without Amir is less expectations, less hype and less talk. Everyone goes about their job normally and less talk about resting the pacers, worrying about workload.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Had the spot-fixing not happened, Amir would have been history by 2013-2014. He does not have the stomach to do the hard yards on these UAE pitches.

If Umar Akmal would have been banned alongside him in 2010, people would have reminded everyone for 5 years that Pakistan were robbed of the next Miandad. The spot-fixing did not ruin Amir's career - it only increased the hype around him and delayed the inevitable, i.e. his demise as an international cricketer.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Had the spot-fixing not happened, Amir would have been history by 2013-2014. He does not have the stomach to do the hard yards on these UAE pitches.

If Umar Akmal would have been banned alongside him in 2010, people would have reminded everyone for 5 years that Pakistan were robbed of the next Miandad. The spot-fixing did not ruin Amir's career - it only increased the hype around him and delayed the inevitable, i.e. his demise as an international cricketer.
    Have to agree with this 100%, had the likes of Rahat Ali and Junaid Khan debuted on that 2010 tour, even they would have been called the second coming of Akram such were the bowling friendly conditions on that tour where even a bowler like R P Singh has wrecked havoc. Amir might have faded away by 2011-12 where the selectors, captain, coaches and media would have lost patience with his ineffective bowling.

In fact I am going a step further, inspite of their mediocrity, the likes of Rahat Ali, Junaid Khan, Wahab Riaz and co have more heart than this pampered spot fixer because they atleast run in for Pakistan day in day out, readily make themselves available in all formats and don't once ever complain about work load or having to bowl on flat graveyards.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When was he in form?

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He just isnt getting the wickets he should. His economy rate is still good, so not like he's getting creamed all over the pitch.

Give him some rest so he can work on his game esp his swing. Im sure he will be back and successful, he's not old yet.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Even though i am one of those that would never have brought him back, Amir will still be an asset in England and similar conditions. He does have technical issues one of which is that he is too wide on the crease and the issue of the scrambled release because of a poor seam has also dogged him recently.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    681 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I don't think his body is capable of taking a heavy workload across formats.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe or maybe not, but one thing our people need to accept that he is not our great bowler like Wasim neither he is " BAREY MATCH KA PLAYER" . He is just a good bowler thats it. Even I can feel that Shaheen would be better than him at his initial stage.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He never was next wasim Akram.His debut series was played on most seamer friendly tracks.Then he lost 5 years and that is very hard to recover from, I hope he makes a come back.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is his best.

He is not Wasim Akram , not even Zaheer Khan.

Pakistan need to play him on performance not name.

Debut
    May 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will definetly be back. Most probably before the World Cup.

Because heís too big of a name to be left in the wilderness like that. I think heíll most likely return for the NZ ODI series or the South Africa test series.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    He's lost the ability to swing the ball and the seam movement has disappeared too. In addition he has lost a yard of pace.

Losing the above has made a big difference to his bowling.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He need to take a break from cricket and enjoy time with family, comeback with a fresh mind and get some help from former greats whoever it is.

He desperately needs help, bowling scrambled seam with new ball was just mind boggling. He used to bowl with a beautiful seam position. I am sure he must have more technical issues which he needs to sort out on his time off.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He's lost the ability to swing the ball and the seam movement has disappeared too. In addition he has lost a yard of pace.

In the summer I spoke to 2 of his class fellows at school and they both said they were 30 and 31. So Forget about his official age, his real age is around 31. This is generally the age fast bowlers legs start to go.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically this.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir just seems so ordinary now, magnified by the lack of wickets. One of his main strengths in addition to his prodigious swing was his express pace - upto 147-150 kph. Now he's just become a 135 kph trundler.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This can only go 2 ways:

He is not going to get lost, he will likely play T20 leagues all over the World PSL, CPL, BPL, the big Bash etc. However if he wants to work on his game he needs to do what M. Abbas is doing, that is playing county Cricket and becoming a top Class bowler (which he was born to be).

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are spot on about Amir. I personally think, we will get the same performances from Amir but he won’t be lost to the wilderness. He is too big a name to be axed for good. He will most likely turn in similar performances and find a place in the squad.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junaidji View Post
    He is 24 not 30!!!!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So Mustafiz is 23 but Amir is 30-31. Can't believe people's hate on him jus because they don't like him.
    He needs break and improve his bowling but he will never be Wasim Akram.
    Also if Wasim bowled now-a-days flat pitches he wouldn't get that many wickets either.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Amir just seems so ordinary now, magnified by the lack of wickets. One of his main strengths in addition to his prodigious swing was his express pace - upto 147-150 kph. Now he's just become a 135 kph trundler.
    This.

One think people are forgetting that even before 2010 England tour there was hype about Amir it was only that tour where he turned in to a consistent wicket taker but people were aready excited about his talent. I remember Watson mentioning during the 2009 Aus he will be best bowler along with Steyn in 2 years. Young Amir was jaw droppingly good big swing with 140-150 pace. 5 years of no formal cricket at the age when cricketers develop the most (18-23) set him back and its clear snice his return the natural rhythm he bowled with was no longer there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iteNruSMzjc

Have we ever seen current Amir with this flow and fluidity even when he is bowling well?

Debut
    Apr 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has chronic knee issues, which is generally curtains call for fast bowlers. We got hint of that during summer in England. He himself or management were hiding and buying time for World Cup, but looks like he is out of World Cup anyway soon.

Reality is Amir is the only fast bowler with real potential, and has shown in patches. After his comeback he never looked as fit as he was 5 years ago, this has hampered his development...Plus he lacked mental aggression which is must have ingredient for fast bowler, he had that before but fixing taint his inner aggression and confidence, this is not a small but major issue in the context. In sports or life in general, soft skills end up damaging you lot more than hard ones...

Other fast bowlers are average, except Afridi, who has potential to be great... itís not like you get rid of Amir, there are three more waiting inline...

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Loss of form? This looks to be his upper limit in terms of ability. I am afraid he has already given his best.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    This.

One think people are forgetting that even before 2010 England tour there was hype about Amir it was only that tour where he turned in to a consistent wicket taker but people were aready excited about his talent. I remember Watson mentioning during the 2009 Aus he will be best bowler along with Steyn in 2 years. Young Amir was jaw droppingly good big swing with 140-150 pace. 5 years of no formal cricket at the age when cricketers develop the most (18-23) set him back and its clear snice his return the natural rhythm he bowled with was no longer there.

Have we ever seen current Amir with this flow and fluidity even when he is bowling well?
    Exactly.

Young Amir in Aus looked good even though his series average may not reflect it.

He just regressed badly.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlikely he will be the guy his fans want. He will give some match winning performances but those will be far and few and will be on the back of surprise and not consistency. What I mean is it will never be he taking 15-16 wickets in the world cup averaging under 20, but it will be one or 2 matches where he might perform well.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Exactly.

Young Amir in Aus looked good even though his series average may not reflect it.

He just regressed badly.
    you need unreal mental toughness to stay the same after what he went through. He was out for good 5 and a half years and unlike a Warner or Smith he was not even allowed to play anykind of formal cricket. His body lost the flexibility that you need to bowl consistently quick unfortunately we will never know how good he could have been what Pakistan did wrong was fast track as a bowling messiah wihout letting his mind and body get accustomed again to the pressures of international cricket. He was thrusted the role of a leader of the attack in all 3 formats when they should have let him play first class cricket for 12 months and assigned a mentor to him to get him ready for international cricket again

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did Mohammad Aamir regress?

I am a passioned cricket observer, but I lack the in-depth knowledge that a lot of users in this form have. So excuse me if I get some information wrong.

What was Mohammad Amir capable of before he was banned. Example he could swing both ways and had pace?

What can he do now? From what I have seen he can just do outswing, slow ball, and cutter.

So why can't he do what he used to be able to do and can he get those skills back?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think he played too much cricket between 2015 to now. Early on in 2016, he looked in terrific form in the BPL, the NZ tour of 2016, the Asia T-20 Cup and in the World T-20 2016.

However after that as his work load pilled up and up across all 3 formats, his effectiveness declined.

Although the team is no one's personal property and that Amir is not as good as he is hyped up to be. He will have to make a decision to get the best out of himself in the years he has left in Cricket, might consider giving up test cricket for a start.

Even then there is so much ODI and T-20 Cricket played. Its up to him to show form and earn a recall in the team and to justify playing selective matches with the team management on the basis of his form.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No fast bowler was swinging it in UAE.

There isn't much he can do when you set India a total of 200 on UAE tracks. Also, he was out of form. It happens.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I have noticed, specially something that stands out in this Asia Cup, is the fact that he is not 100% fit and that has led to a lot of technical issues in his action. His wrist is not behind the ball, and he is falling away at the time of release. Amir in good rhythm, was fluid and that came from powering through the crease at the point of release. That's also evident in his speeds throughout this tournament. Also, he's still not as close to the stumps as he should be, although that's something he seldom used to do even before the ban.

The main aspect I see, and correct me if I am wrong, is that he is not a 100% fit and hence ends up falling back to those small technical issues that matter a lot at the end of the day.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    From what I have noticed, specially something that stands out in this Asia Cup, is the fact that he is not 100% fit and that has led to a lot of technical issues in his action. His wrist is not behind the ball, and he is falling away at the time of release. Amir in good rhythm, was fluid and that came from powering through the crease at the point of release. That's also evident in his speeds throughout this tournament. Also, he's still not as close to the stumps as he should be, although that's something he seldom used to do even before the ban.

The main aspect I see, and correct me if I am wrong, is that he is not a 100% fit and hence ends up falling back to those small technical issues that matter a lot at the end of the day.
    The first thing which happens when your body is unable to cope with the demands and volume of the amount of cricket played today is that your bowling action falls apart.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    He didnít.

He has always been too short to make it as a fast bowler except:

1) In Tests in favourable conditions in England with a Dukes ball.

2) In limited overs cricket in the first 20 overs with a swinging white ball.

Everywhere else the best he can hope for is to be a bowling all-rounder: a Number 8 batsman who can average 20-25 with the bat and 30-35 with the ball, like Mitchell Johnson in his Wilderness Years.

Mickey Arthur needs to take a long, hard look at his fast bowling resources before the tour of South Africa, because he has too many short medium-pacers in the team.

In the Tests there Iíd be opening with Mohammad Abbas and Mohammad Amir, with Shaheen Shah Afridi for pace and Faheem Ashraf as fourth seamer.

But thatís too long a tail, especially with such a weak batting Top Six, so Iíd then pick Shadab Khan instead of Yasir Shah.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    He didn’t.

He has always been too short to make it as a fast bowler except:

1) In Tests in favourable conditions in England with a Dukes ball.

2) In limited overs cricket in the first 20 overs with a swinging white ball.

Everywhere else the best he can hope for is to be a bowling all-rounder: a Number 8 batsman who can average 20-25 with the bat and 30-35 with the ball, like Mitchell Johnson in his Wilderness Years.

Mickey Arthur needs to take a long, hard look at his fast bowling resources before the tour of South Africa, because he has too many short medium-pacers in the team.

In the Tests there I’d be opening with Mohammad Abbas and Mohammad Amir, with Shaheen Shah Afridi for pace and Faheem Ashraf as fourth seamer.

But that’s too long a tail, especially with such a weak batting Top Six, so I’d then pick Shadab Khan instead of Yasir Shah.
    Wahab hits the deck hard and bowls at 90 mph. He was Pakistan's best pacer on the Australian tour. Pakistan will need him for the SA tour as well.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The first thing which happens when your body is unable to cope with the demands and volume of the amount of cricket played today is that your bowling action falls apart.
    The fools in PCB should really have given him rest on that useless Zimbabwe tour and sent him to NCA to sort this out. The alarming thing is that Azhar Mahmood definitely identifies these issues and so does Amir, but the fact that he is not fully fit means he falls back to the bad habits which come second nature to him. He was bowling as close to the young Amir in the West Indies in April 2017, even in the CT he was starting to fall away at the point of release. Wasn't as pronounced as it is right now though.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When a player thinks he's done it all, his lack of improvement shows and his stagnation shines. But also playing all 3 formats hasn't helped his progression either.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Wahab hits the deck hard and bowls at 90 mph. He was Pakistan's best pacer on the Australian tour. Pakistan will need him for the SA tour as well.
    I agree, but I think Shaheen Shah Afridi is similar but an upgrade.

You need six quicks in a squad to South Africa: Wahab Riaz is my fifth and either Ehsan Adil or Hasan Ali is my sixth.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    When a player thinks he's done it all, his lack of improvement shows and his stagnation shines.
    Amir's issues are technical. I'm certain he himself realizes how bad he has been in the past year.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't regress, he was nothing exceptional to start with and just got lucky to be playing on the bowler friendly conditions at the start of his career.

The more he plays, the more we will see What he truly is capable of.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The fools in PCB should really have given him rest on that useless Zimbabwe tour and sent him to NCA to sort this out. The alarming thing is that Azhar Mahmood definitely identifies these issues and so does Amir, but the fact that he is not fully fit means he falls back to the bad habits which come second nature to him. He was bowling as close to the young Amir in the West Indies in April 2017, even in the CT he was starting to fall away at the point of release. Wasn't as pronounced as it is right now though.
    Well the reason why the BCCI bends over to listen to Kohli is because his performances merit it. Amir is no shining star that the PCB will bend over, he hasn't merited anything with his performances over the last one year.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His wrist position and he isn't bowling from close to the wickets.

On lack of bowler friendly wickets you need to come as close to the stumps so that you can create that incoming angle to the right handed batsmen even if the swing isn't that much. But, the way he goes on the side of the crease and far from the stumps, on dead wickets its only gonna take bowl away.

but disappointing thing is these issues have been there for well over and year now and he has still not been able to eradicate them

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the reason why the BCCI bends over to listen to Kohli is because his performances merit it. Amir is no shining star that the PCB will bend over, he hasn't merited anything with his performances over the last one year.
    When everyone around knows why Amir is struggling, it's imperative to give him a break rather than hoping for better results from an unfit bowler.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Venue
    221B Baker Street
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amir's issues are technical. I'm certain he himself realizes how bad he has been in the past year.
    The problems with him have been longer than just the past year.

"When You Have Eliminated The Impossible, Whatever Remains, However Improbable, Must Be The Truth!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boomboomcheema View Post
    Didn't regress, he was nothing exceptional to start with and just got lucky to be playing on the bowler friendly conditions at the start of his career.

The more he plays, the more we will see What he truly is capable of.
    Shows you know nothing about cricket if you think Amir was nothing exceptional to start with. Also, you are disagreeing with Wasim Akrman and Michael Holding. Nice.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When everyone around knows why Amir is struggling, it's imperative to give him a break rather than hoping for better results from an unfit bowler.
    Again, why should he be treated special? What about the other bowlers like Junaid Khan, Irfan, Wahab Riaz, Rahat Ali, Imran Khan Jr who were toiling hard for Pakistan in his absence playing all formats, every day on these UAE pitches without complaining?

Why shouldn't the PCB give special attention to these bowlers whenever they run into a patch of bad form?

Amir needs to be treated at par with the others, he performs he stays in the team, he doesn't he sits on the bench or out of the squad.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day amir realises that he is no longer a favourite of mickey and his place in team is temporary he"ll start performing.
    Mickey has a group of favourites, whom he favours and all those favourites think that they are guaranteed a place in pak team. The day mickey stops this favouritism and gives equal opportunity to players this pak team will do well.
    For starters
    If babar doesn't perform in uae tests than he should nit be in playing eleven in south africa.
    If shadab isn't performing guve chance to bilal or zafar etc.
    If a senior is not doing well than no need to kick him (before giving adequate amiunt of matches) out just for the purpose of getting young cricketers in the team.
    Azhar ali and asad are your best players in tests they should be the first ones to get selected,but instead tgaey were the ones under most pressure of retaining their place.
    Lastly dispel this myth "each and every young cricketer is better than a 30+ cricketer".
    Mickey arthur showed so much confidence in hassan, shadab that they started believing in the hype and we can see the result.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    The day amir realises that he is no longer a favourite of mickey and his place in team is temporary he"ll start performing.
    Mickey has a group of favourites, whom he favours and all those favourites think that they are guaranteed a place in pak team. The day mickey stops this favouritism and gives equal opportunity to players this pak team will do well.
    For starters
    If babar doesn't perform in uae tests than he should nit be in playing eleven in south africa.
    If shadab isn't performing guve chance to bilal or zafar etc.
    If a senior is not doing well than no need to kick him (before giving adequate amiunt of matches) out just for the purpose of getting young cricketers in the team.
    Azhar ali and asad are your best players in tests they should be the first ones to get selected,but instead tgaey were the ones under most pressure of retaining their place.
    Lastly dispel this myth "each and every young cricketer is better than a 30+ cricketer".
    Mickey arthur showed so much confidence in hassan, shadab that they started believing in the hype and we can see the result.
    Azhar Ali has been in bad form of late.

Asad Shafiq has always 9 times out of 10 gone missing whenever Pakistan has really needed him to step up especially now that he can no longer hide behind Azhar, Younis and Misbah anymore.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Jhansi(uttar pradesh),India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali has been in bad form of late.

Asad Shafiq has always 9 times out of 10 gone missing whenever Pakistan has really needed him to step up especially now that he can no longer hide behind Azhar, Younis and Misbah anymore.
    Yes azhar ali has been in bad form for some time, but babar, haris, imam, sarfi also haven't done much then why is only his place at risk? Simple ans coz he is 30+ and doesn't fit in mickeys plan.
    Azhar has proved himself in overseas conditions, leave alone pakistan he is the best opener in world cricket and amongst top 3 pak openers ever (tell me who's better?) he once had a 50+ avg it shouldn't be so easy to remove him. Removing him just to bring in some random newbie will be plain stupid.
    Secondly why is mickey not selecting fawad,
    He is obsessed with bringing young blood in the team. Some experience is always required

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hereís what majority of experts on here are saying:
    His desire to bowl is gone
    His pace is gone
    His wrist position is wrong
    His swing is gone
    Heís too cocky
    Heís overhyped
    He has family problems
    He thinks heís Wasim
    Is mickeys favourite

Why canít we just say heís out of form and needs to be given a break? He hasnít lost any pace as far as Iím concerned, still bowls at 140 kph or there about, swings it in swinging conditions etc. Nobody in the world can take wickets every match and bowl at 145 kph Every delivery.

Why all this personal hate towards him? Is it because he said he wants to bowl less?? He does his hair too much? You donít like his wife?

Some people are unbelievable

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He isn't as good we thought. He's a support bowler. Not the leader of the attack

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't a big match bowler either. In order to get those 3 wickets, He needed 320+ runs on board and added pressure of final. In such conditions, even a tukka player can get wickets ( i.e. Venkatesh Prasad had 3 wickets in 1996 quarter final against Pakistan).

The thing with Pakistan mindset is they hype up a player and expect everyone adjust their game around such player. For Amir, other bowlers need to create a pressure so Goldenboy can take wickets. Another example is Babar Azam, he will play slow and play for milestones and its other bastmen's job to pick up his slack and start hitting, if fail, player gets discarded but golden boys collects all glories.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oneindia View Post
    He isn't a big match bowler either. In order to get those 3 wickets, He needed 320+ runs on board and added pressure of final. In such conditions, even a tukka player can get wickets ( i.e. Venkatesh Prasad had 3 wickets in 1996 quarter final against Pakistan).

The thing with Pakistan mindset is they hype up a player and expect everyone adjust their game around such player. For Amir, other bowlers need to create a pressure so Goldenboy can take wickets. Another example is Babar Azam, he will play slow and play for milestones and its other bastmen's job to pick up his slack and start hitting, if fail, player gets discarded but golden boys collects all glories.
    Not true. If there were better batsmen than Babar Azam, they would be playing right now. If there were better bowlers than Amir, they would be playing right now, just what has happened for the Australian series.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What form? We have seen his true capabilities. That England tour in 2010 created an illusion he was a world class bowler when people forget that series was played in the most bowling friendly conditions where the Pakistani team must have bowled under 100 atleast 4-5 times. Even the then coach Waqar Younis mentioned it was the toughest conditions he had ever seen during his time for the full series.

Amir's true capabilities have been seen on how he does on regular subcontinent tracks. He can't even do anything on Australian Wickets.
    Give me a break. This kid has been world class on many pitches. Yes he was garbage this series bu you're telling me he disillusioned Michael Holding and Wasim Akram?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true. If there were better batsmen than Babar Azam, they would be playing right now. If there were better bowlers than Amir, they would be playing right now, just what has happened for the Australian series.
    As an Indian, I would fear more from Sohail Khan, He may not be fully fit but he takes wicket. I am sure there are bowlers out there on street who if given opportunity, establish themselves as a premium bowler. In a country like Pakistan, I don't buy that you don't have fast bowling talent.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umar Akmal was not as highly rated back then as Amir was. He was consistently taking top scalps and destroyed the Australian team when Pakistan had their home series in England against them. Amir played a key role in Pakistan winning the t20 world Cup and took top scoring Dilshan for a mere few runs not allowing him to have an impact on the final. The guy was rewarded man of the series in Pakistan's test series against England in 2010 and a lot of other successes. It is very rare a bowler who starts off like that at the age of 17 to become ordinary unless there is mishap. He had way too many achievements dismiss him the way you did.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1659 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freezerburn View Post
    hereís what majority of experts on here are saying:
    His desire to bowl is gone
    His pace is gone
    His wrist position is wrong
    His swing is gone
    Heís too cocky
    Heís overhyped
    He has family problems
    He thinks heís Wasim
    Is mickeys favourite

Why canít we just say heís out of form and needs to be given a break? He hasnít lost any pace as far as Iím concerned, still bowls at 140 kph or there about, swings it in swinging conditions etc. Nobody in the world can take wickets every match and bowl at 145 kph Every delivery.

Why all this personal hate towards him? Is it because he said he wants to bowl less?? He does his hair too much? You donít like his wife?

Some people are unbelievable
    Excellent post... The posters on here act like they are some sort of cricketing experts but in reality hardly anyone of them played even beyond gully cricket.

Here is a radical idea...... Players go through a dip in form.

Who would have known if that was even a thing

Even King Kohli went through bad patches where he was averaging in the 20s did he all of a sudden lose his ability? Did he hit his upper limit? Did he lose his desire to perform? No he bounced back just like champions do. Amir is cut from the same cloth, he will bounce back.

One thing is for sure if it is the final of a world event I would much rather have Amir bowling than some other name these gully mohallah experts throw up.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He currently is only good in seaming/swinging conditions.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Amir's career will continue to have a sine curve with plenty of crests and troughs - an up and down career in simple terms. He will not be an out an out good or bad performer, but someone who continues to be on and off. Given the history of the last few years, I see no reason why the trend should be any different.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If his incoming ball works he can do some damage upfront. But he is bowling slower than Fiz these days.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Denmark
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has no motivation and has weak Body. Should only play t20 or 1 test in England. The sooner We realise that the better - I hope Mickey is Reading pakpassion

DON - "Don Ko Team Se Nikalna Mushkil Hi Nahin, Namumkin Hai!":Kami

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir is a quality bowler who has been unfortunately going through a bad phase, it happens to best of the maverick players.. even Shahid Afridi was criticised for his off days, while no one can deny him on his explosive best.

People who doubt his bowling ability will take a note to CT17 final, when he ran through the Indian top order and won the match for Pakistan.. I see Indians have some kind of negative attitude about him since then, and have been picking on his faults too often.

He is a match winner and mostly performs when it matters in the final. I think it's disrespectful to doubt his ability, he is just out of form.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    Amir is a quality bowler who has been unfortunately going through a bad phase, it happens to best of the maverick players.. even Shahid Afridi was criticised for his off days, while no one can deny him on his explosive best.

People who doubt his bowling ability will take a note to CT17 final, when he ran through the Indian top order and won the match for Pakistan.. I see Indians have some kind of negative attitude about him since then, and have been picking on his faults too often.

He is a match winner and mostly performs when it matters in the final. I think it's disrespectful to doubt his ability, he is just out of form.
    Quality bowlers dont pick up 3 wickets in 10 odi's and don't average 100 with the ball. And quality bowlers don't need 300 plus runs to be successful all the time.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This can only go 2 ways:

You really think Mohammad Amir will disappear in the wilderness? Its only a matter of time he comes back, it's not about how good he is, it's the people's perception of him as the next Akram that will not go away unless he goes down the Umar Akmal direction... he needs 5 more years of failure to be completel discarded.. one good performance and he will be back for good (without accountability)

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Excellent post... The posters on here act like they are some sort of cricketing experts but in reality hardly anyone of them played even beyond gully cricket.

Even King Kohli went through bad patches where he was averaging in the 20s did he all of a sudden lose his ability? Did he hit his upper limit? Did he lose his desire to perform? No he bounced back just like champions do. Amir is cut from the same cloth, he will bounce back.

One thing is for sure if it is the final of a world event I would much rather have Amir bowling than some other name these gully mohallah experts throw up.
    Don't compare a legend like Kohli with a once in 2 years performer like Amir..

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am waiting for the next morning show Mohammad Amir goes to give the morning show analogy... asking the anchor 'does your morning show also have the same ratings in every show that you do?' when asked about his performance in the team

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoib View Post
    This.

Players come and go, Amir was talented but nothing the world has not seen before... Sportsmen have made comebacks and rejuvenated their careers... enough with the 'he just came back to International cricket after a 5 year gap' - he's played for 2 years consistently and performing once or twice during this time in favorable conditions mind you

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oneindia View Post

Lol seriously post of the week! Some people have forgot rationality on this forum and have become ultra defensive about their favorites..... Babar and Amir are the goldenboys of this generation, both have failed and our people have lost their minds

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Golden boy Azam can carry on playing at a strike rate of 50 while chasing 360 vs Australia, and then fans laud his 100 in a dead rubber that has no bearing on the result....

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'll probably be playing domestics with the PCB keeping a close eye on him and his performances. If it's at least good enough, he'll be back. Even if he doesn't make the squad vs NZ, he'll be back for the SA tour.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post

One thing is for sure if it is the final of a world event and the team scores 330 runs, I would much rather have Amir bowling than some other name these gully mohallah experts throw up.
    Corrected.

Because that is his true worth.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    e
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsha View Post
    Shows you know nothing about cricket if you think Amir was nothing exceptional to start with. Also, you are disagreeing with Wasim Akrman and Michael Holding. Nice.
    Many young players like Pathan were similarly hyped. How comes his stats before and after ban in most countries almost same if there was some "regression"? England and WI are the only cpuntries he averages below 35 both before and after his ban

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

LMAO with 340 on board any bowler can defend, even Zim bowlers, 340 has never been chased in a big final in ODI. Our Ishant Sharma defended 127 runs in 20 overs against England in CT final, we dont even hype that.

And you are lying about Indians having negative only after 2017, most including me always mentioned he was overhyped and other bowlers like Junaid and Ali were much better.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    LMAO with 340 on board any bowler can defend, even Zim bowlers, 340 has never been chased in a big final in ODI. Our Ishant Sharma defended 127 runs in 20 overs against England in CT final, we dont even hype that.

And you are lying about Indians having negative only after 2017, most including me always mentioned he was overhyped and other bowlers like Junaid and Ali were much better.
    So it was Amir's fault that Pakistani batsmen scored 340 ?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it was Amir's fault that Pakistani batsmen scored 340 ?
    No but it made his job easier to bowl with an added pressure of scoreboard where Indian batters had to go after the bowling from Ball 1.

Do you think if the target was 260-280 , India would have gifted 3 Wickets to Amir that easily and get bowled out for 160 runs ? Remember how the Indians played in the First match of the CT where they were batting first, they played out Amir with ease and got a big score.

Same way Indian chase of 238 in last match waa a cakewalk because there was not much pressure of scoreboard.

Great bowlers are those who defend a small target and not the ones who need a target in excess of 340 runs to defend.

Did Amir defend 160 ? No
    Did Amir defend 240 ? No
    Did Amir defend 340 ? Yes

Pakistan would have won the finals with or without Amir 9 times out of 10.

Look at the result of yesterday's match, even against Bangla bowlers India chased a target of 220 only in the 49th over with knw Lver to spare. Bangaldesh would have won with ease if their batsmen scored 340. Never easy in the finals to chase those big targets but don't say that the performance was some All Time Legendary effort.
    Last edited by boomboomcheema; 29th September 2018 at 08:05.