Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Talent Spotter : Naseem Shah

A profile of the talented fast-bowler Naseem Shah, who has been making waves with his impressive pace-bowling for Pakistan at the Under-19 level.

Name:  42714017_2287316694643782_4102583152327786496_n.jpg
Views: 3175
Size:  155.0 KB

Full name: Naseem Shah

Born: February 15, 2003

Major teams: Pakistan Under-19, Zarai Taraqiati Bank Limited

Batting style: Right-hand bat

Bowling style: Right-arm fast-medium

Height: 5ft 10in

Interest in cricket

I was born in Lower Dir and from a very young age, I loved playing cricket even though no one in my family was really interested in this game. Also, my parents weren’t in favour of me taking this game seriously, but I started off playing tape-ball cricket around the streets of where we lived. I also used to play tape-ball matches where people told me that I had the talent to play hard-ball cricket.

Playing hard-ball cricket

Whilst I had the desire to play hard-ball cricket, I had no way of doing that in Lower Dir. So, it was my brother who recognised my love for the game and took me to Lahore and got me enrolled in the Abdul Qadir Cricket Academy.

Topping the charts in PCB-PEPSI Stars Under-16 One Day Tournament 2016/17

I had good success at the academy and as a result of that played for Lahore Under-16s where I was the top wicket-taker with 32 wickets in 8 matches with best figures of 6/23. I was really happy with these performances which caught the eye of the selectors for the series against Australia Under 16s played in Dubai in January 2017.

First taste of playing against a non-Pakistan team

This was of course a very exciting time for me as we travelled to Dubai and took on a foreign side. The experience of playing at the ICC Cricket Academy ground was amazing as was being part of a Pakistan side in a tournament. In all, I played 5 games during this series, 2 T20s and three 50 over matches. Whilst my performance in Twenty20s was satisfactory as I took 2 wickets in 3 games, it was in the 50 over matches where I made a big difference taking 6 wickets in 3 games and was the second highest wicket-taker for Pakistan.

The Under-19 experience

My introduction to the Under-19 stage of cricket was through the Inter Region Under-19 One Day Tournaments in 2017 and 2018. Both years were excellent for me, but I had exceptional success in the 2018/2019 season where I took 25 wickets in 8 games and was the second highest wicket-taker.

ACC Under-19 Asia Cup 2018 in Bangladesh

There was a lot of buzz around this tournament as the main Asia Cup had ended so there were a lot of expectations from our team to succeed but unfortunately, we couldn’t win some of the key games.

Whilst I had a fairly good game against Hong Kong, I only ended up with 6 wickets in total with my best figures of 5/13 in the only game that we won. I was satisfied by my own performance and I think the reason I could not get more wickets was that I was attacking more in the games against Bangladesh and Sri Lanka and in such a scenario, if you don’t take wickets then you go for runs.

I feel that as a squad we did not practice that much together apart from a short camp whilst the squads of other countries had been together for many months and it showed in the way they played. I still feel it was a great learning experience for me and hopefully I can put that learning to good use later in my career.

Role model

The one bowler who I admire is Shane Bond. I have watched many of his videos and copy him so much that a lot of people tell me that I bowl just like him. Among the Pakistani bowlers, I am a great fan of Waqar Younis who is a legendary bowler. I have also met Mohammad Hafeez at the NCA a few times and he has been very helpful to me for which I am grateful to him.

Favourite delivery

I bowled fairly quickly in the recently concluded ACC Under-19 Asia Cup but there were no speed-guns there; whilst bowling in Pakistan, I have been told that my speed is easily in excess of 140KPH. I get most of my wickets with in-swinging deliveries and that is also my favourite style of bowling too.

First-class

My development as a cricketer seems to be going in the right direction as I have now moved to first-class cricket after debuting for ZTBL in the ongoing Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. My season was interrupted a little but for a good cause as I was selected for the ACC Under-19 Asia Cup squad, but I am now back in Pakistan and will be playing for ZTBL once again.

Future ambitions

I really want to do well in first-class cricket and would eventually like to get noticed by the national selectors. Like any other players, my dream is to play for my country and I got an idea of that feeling when I played for the Pakistan Under-19 team recently. I would not only like to play for my country but also put in some good performances which would make me proud as well. Along the way, I would be really happy if I am picked by any team in the Pakistan Super League where I can showcase my skills to the world.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no idea if this kid will achieve anything but its nice to see a young pakistani bowler with a pleasing looking bowling action. if he can be half the bowler bond was, would be an amazing player.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can totally see Bond in his action.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nice bowling action! I hope the kid goes places.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the kid bowls like Bond, now I know why.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Destroyer View Post
    Can totally see Bond in his action.
    What do you think of him?

Also, as the action is similar to Bond's, does this mean he would be injury prone too?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope his height keeps growing and he gets to around 6.1 at least.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is his height?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is only 15 years. He can grow upto 4 more inches. He has such a ferocious action, I just hope he is taken care of, he could be very inury prone. Love his action, he he gives everything into his deliveries. Looks to be bowling incredibly fast

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRsohail View Post
    What is his height?
    5'10

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice momentum into the crease. Quick arm action and able to swing the ball both ways at pace. Also able to extract good bounce without much extra effort. A very good prospect.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sindhiboy View Post
    He is only 15 years. He can grow upto 4 more inches. He has such a ferocious action, I just hope he is taken care of, he could be very inury prone. Love his action, he he gives everything into his deliveries. Looks to be bowling incredibly fast
    The chances are that he will be around 19.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    With his action, 6'2" might not be safe height for fitness - 5'11" to 6'0" is more than enough. Seems focused lad, 1-2 years hard work can take him to top level.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good action and the way he's moving it both ways is impressive.

Hoping to see him play 2023 WC in India.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    What do you think of him?

Also, as the action is similar to Bond's, does this mean he would be injury prone too?
    The potential is obvious.

Minor strains maybe due to his young body. His torso doesn't collapse like Bond's did. His previous action had greater chance of injury.

A skilled hawk conceals its talons.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks impressive. Movement and pace. The sort of bowler Pakistan once used to take pride in. Hopefully he fulfills his potential

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    So, will the PSL make him or break him? Just wondering as am sure teams will be looking at him for PSL

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So, will the PSL make him or break him? Just wondering as am sure teams will be looking at him for PSL
    Trying to work out which PSL side would suit him best. Something to ponder.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mak36 View Post
    Trying to work out which PSL side would suit him best. Something to ponder.
    IU or KK. IU has a legend in Waqar Younis to mentor him whereas KK has Mickey Arthur and Azhar Mehmood who are associated as coaches with the national side. I personally would love to see him in LQ. The sight of Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah bowling in tandem will be mouth watering.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    IU or KK. IU has a legend in Waqar Younis to mentor him whereas KK has Mickey Arthur and Azhar Mehmood who are associated as coaches with the national side. I personally would love to see him in LQ. The sight of Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf and Naseem Shah bowling in tandem will be mouth watering.
    IU would be great but I don't think he would get too many chances given their bench strength.

As well as going to a side with decent coaches, the key will be going to a side where there don't have any decent emerging players (I assume that is the category he will be in).

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But on a more serious note, he clearly has a fast arm, and it's one of those rare occasions when the action was modified for all the right reasons. The good news is that he'll be able to bowl significantly faster and Ian Pont would be the best to advise on this, but it's reasonably obvious a more significant leap in his action, something more akin to Lockie Ferguson or Imran Khan rather than Shane Bond, would be beneficial. In addition, he's not releasing the ball at the most appropriate stage of his action, it's a minor synchronisation issue, but will make a significant improvement to his pace.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    With his action, 6'2" might not be safe height for fitness - 5'11" to 6'0" is more than enough. Seems focused lad, 1-2 years hard work can take him to top level.
    Do explain, I'm intrigued.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davethebrave View Post
    Do explain, I'm intrigued.
    Early in his career, Denis Lillee had similar action and he suffered 3 stress fractures in his first 4-5 years. He was like 6'2" and somewhere I read that with that chest on action it put extreme stress on his back, which increases with height of body. Later DK remodeled his action to become more side on, which cost him some speed. This kid is already 5'10", he should grow still, but too much height might be risky for his long term sustainability. Styen is 5'10", Marshall was 5'9-10", Waquar 5'11", Ray Lindwall 5'10" - so he has enough height already, now needs sustainability. It's a bit romantic to think about 6'3" fast bowlers, but he has to survive for 10-12 years as well - Bond didn't & he was just about 6'1".

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Early in his career, Denis Lillee had similar action and he suffered 3 stress fractures in his first 4-5 years. He was like 6'2" and somewhere I read that with that chest on action it put extreme stress on his back, which increases with height of body. Later DK remodeled his action to become more side on, which cost him some speed. This kid is already 5'10", he should grow still, but too much height might be risky for his long term sustainability. Styen is 5'10", Marshall was 5'9-10", Waquar 5'11", Ray Lindwall 5'10" - so he has enough height already, now needs sustainability. It's a bit romantic to think about 6'3" fast bowlers, but he has to survive for 10-12 years as well - Bond didn't & he was just about 6'1".

Dennis Lillee had a mixed action and attempted to bowl more side on, he didn't have a front on action like this young pacer, I'm surprised you don't know this, he was also 6ft. You appear to have either misread or misunderstood what you claim to have read. Please note the following:

Ambrose 6ft 7
    Walsh 6ft 5.5
    Andy Roberts 6ft 2
    Garner 6ft 8
    Colin Croft 6ft 5
    Sylvester Clarke 6ft 2
    Wayne Daniel and Patrick Patterson weren't short either.

All of them were predominantly front on and were hardly the most injury-prone bunch. Having met Marshall, can we bust the myth that he was 5ft 9? I'm 6ft and he was almost the same as me, I'd say 5ft 11 as it says on most places in the internet. He may have been short for a West Indian quickie at the time, but that's all.

Furthermore, it's clear Naseem Shah has hit puberty quucker than most and that kind of pace is usually reserved for those 2-3 years older, he probably isn't going to grow much more and it would be no problem if he did.

At his height, he's more likely to have a short career on account of having an ineffective stock ball as a consequence of being too short as opposed to being tall. Again, you should know this.

The sustainability comment is, I assume, an empty slogan for effect.
    Last edited by davethebrave; 12th October 2018 at 06:11. Reason: Error

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Dennis Lillee had a mixed action and attempted to bowl more side on, he didn't have a front on action like this young pacer, I'm surprised you don't know this, he was also 6ft. You appear to have either misread or misunderstood what you claim to have read. Please note the following:

Ambrose 6ft 7
    Walsh 6ft 5.5
    Andy Roberts 6ft 2
    Garner 6ft 8
    Colin Croft 6ft 5
    Sylvester Clarke 6ft 2
    Wayne Daniel and Patrick Patterson weren't short either.

All of them were predominantly front on and were hardly the most injury-prone bunch. Having met Marshall, can we bust the myth that he was 5ft 9? I'm 6ft and he was almost the same as me, I'd say 5ft 11 as it says on most places in the internet. He may have been short for a West Indian quickie at the time, but that's all.

Furthermore, it's clear Naseem Shah has hit puberty quucker than most and that kind of pace is usually reserved for those 2-3 years older, he probably isn't going to grow much more and it would be no problem if he did.

At his height, he's more likely to have a short career on account of having an ineffective stock ball as a consequence of being too short as opposed to being tall. Again, you should know this.

The sustainability comment is, I assume, an empty slogan for effect.
    I was talking about DK before 1972-73. Greg Chappel is 6'2" and somewhere I read DK was eye ball to eye ball with him, but may be 1"-2" shorter, hence I actually mentioned that he is like 6'2".

Different bowlers have different body structure, therefore don't think with just height & action, you can generalize it. I am surprised that, you brought so many greats of the game just to have go at the height comment without noticing the other key factor - bowling action. It'll be a bit foolish to think that Ambi, Walsh, Croft or Garner had same action like this this kid or Bond - all chest/front on bowling action are not same. Bond had a similar action, and he didn't last for 6 months at stress - most he suffered is lower back injury.

Stock ball is a problem for every one - don't think a fast bowler with 6'8" height can survive for 10-12 years only because of his height without having a stock ball that he can bowl most times effortlessly, therefore stock ball comment is a bit redundant - no one will survive long without that - I assume, an empty slogan for effect. I think, if he is genuine 5'10" at 17-18, he already has good height, another couple of inch is enough - provided that, other tools are sharpen. My comments was against someone suggesting that he might reach 6'2" (4 inches). Height is not the only factor for a fast bowler & chest on is not the only issue in bowling action - I do know a little about that actually.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea about his speed

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.lesner View Post
    Any idea about his speed
    140Kph+according to what he said to us - read the first post of this thread.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody would know what happened to him a few years down the line the way things work in Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Got Taimur Khan and Saud Shakeel out today in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. 2/45 http://www.pcb.com.pk/quaideazam-tro...tch/31945.html

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He looks impressive. He has pace and lots of swing. Very good potential.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Extraordinary prospect. Has the agression and pace that we've been missing for a long time now. He isn't 15 though. More like 18. That's still very young.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    * PINDI STADIUM, RAWALPINDI

PTV (First innings) 158 all out in 55.3 overs (Muhammad Irfan Jr. 35, 82 balls, 5x4s, Saud Shakeel 25, 36 balls, 3x4s, Hasan Mohsin 24, 91 balls, 3x4s, Imran Khan 4-54, Muhammad Ali 3-22, Luqman Butt 2-47)

(2nd innings) 241 all out in 76.5 overs (Taimoor Khan 62, 112 balls, 12x4s, Hasan Mohsin 47, 83 balls, 8x4s, Adnan Mahmood 32, 79 balls, 4x4s, Muhammad Waqas 31, 54 balls, 4x4s, Nihal Mansoor 28, 32 balls, 5x4s, Nasim Shah 6-59, Muhammad Ali 2-45)

ZTBL (First innings) 318 all out in 120.1 overs (Saad Ullah Ghauri 81, 165 balls, 11x4s, 2x6s, Raza Ali Dar 73, 215 balls, 8x4s, Shakeel Ansar 56, 109 balls, 6x4s, Luqman Butt 31, 76 balls, 5x4s, Anas Mustafa 24, 51 balls, 5x4s, Tabish Khan 7-86, Aamir Jamal 2-50)

(2nd innings) 84-1 in 22.4 overs (Anas Mustafa 31*, 64 balls, 4x4s, Aqib Shah 26*, 46 balls, 4x4s)

Result: ZTBL won by 9 wickets

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    So PakPassion.net have done what we always do for new/young talent!

We spoke to Mickey Arthur about Naseem and his reply was : "He looks very good - Will keep an eye out for him"

Similarly, Azhar Mahmood said "Good strong action"

===

Hope Naseem continues his hard work!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So PakPassion.net have done what we always do for new/young talent!

We spoke to Mickey Arthur about Naseem and his reply was : "He looks very good - Will keep an eye out for him"

Similarly, Azhar Mahmood said "Good strong action"

===

Hope Naseem continues his hard work!
    Great job guys... makes you wonder what our selectors are paid to do if it takes a cricket forum to identify young talent. Good work nonetheless!

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    But on a more serious note, he clearly has a fast arm, and it's one of those rare occasions when the action was modified for all the right reasons. The good news is that he'll be able to bowl significantly faster and Ian Pont would be the best to advise on this, but it's reasonably obvious a more significant leap in his action, something more akin to Lockie Ferguson or Imran Khan rather than Shane Bond, would be beneficial. In addition, he's not releasing the ball at the most appropriate stage of his action, it's a minor synchronisation issue, but will make a significant improvement to his pace.
    @davethebrave You seem to be a knowledgeable poster. Good addition to the forum.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Name:  41465830_170175613873814_4833785525044941642_n.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  87.7 KB

Arshad, Hasnain (is it?), Naseem and Musa.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Name:  fd693cc1-12dd-4560-b2f8-0260d1af221b.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  162.5 KB