User Tag List

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I wasn't bothered that my action was called before as that's a thing of the past" : Bilal Asif

Bilal Asif speaking to the media at end of Day 3:

"Alhamdolillah, that I did well; I am feeling and all I did was try my best and do the basics right"

"I am feeling really good as I got 6 wickets in the first innings of my debut, and I will try my best to make this debut even better in the rest of the match"

"When you are debuting, of course there is pressure on you; Even today, I didn't bowl well initially and wasn't feeling too good about it but my teammates encouraged me and gave me confidence to do better, and after that you can see the improvement"

"I have been struggling for the last few years; Since my ODI debut against Zimbabwe in 2015 which was 3 years ago, I have managed to get my Test debut but that has taken a lot of hard work; I have been working at the NCA and the guys there have been very good to me"

"I am pretty happy that I am here now"

"Being a professional cricketer, you need to have some inner strength so I really had no doubts myself as long as I kept on working hard"

"Whether I would get a chance to play for the national side was something which is in the Almighty's hands"

"I have been involved in the NCA camps for spinners and emerging players for the last few years"

"I'd like to thank all at the NCA especially Mushtaq Ahmed as he's worked hard with me for the last 3 years. Today I got the reward for that hard work and credit for that goes to Mushy Bhai. He supported me on and off the field and really helped me with my bowling"

"And today, I got the reward for that hard work and the credit for that goes to Mushy Bhai"

"He supported me on and off the field and really helped me with my bowling as well"

"Until your name appears in the final XI, you can never be sure that you will play in the match or not"

"My intention is to give 110 percent when given the chance to play for Pakistan, the rest is in the hands of the Almighty"

"I have been bowling for a while in first-class and One-Day games in Pakistan so I have a fair idea of what help you can get from the pitch"

"So, taking into account the fact that the pitch does help the spinners in UAE, I tried to vary the pace a bit and thankfully I got good results due to that"

"Look this is a team game, so its not a problem that Yasir Shah didnt take a wicket today as we all know he is a world-class bowler"

"It was my good luck that I took 6 wickets today but I wasnt bowling that well in the first session, and obviously as a debutante I felt pressure as I wasn't getting any wickets but I put that out of my mind and bowled with focus, and the Almighty rewarded me"
    Last edited by MenInG; 9th October 2018 at 15:14.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Humility seems to be second nature to Bilal!

Btw, do read what Mushtaq Ahmed said about Bilal when I met him at the NCA last year on:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...-Mushtaq-Ahmed

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Some more quotes:

'No I wasn't bothered about that (my action was called in the ODIS in Zimbabwe in 2015). That's a thing of the past. I concentrated on my bowling performance today. Thank God I did well. '

3. 'I wasn't sure I was going to play the game beforehand. I only realized when the final XI was announced. (But Pakistan announced 12 on the eve of the Test) Journalist interrupts

Well they had announced the 12, a day before the Test, so I had an idea but wasn't sure. Whenever I am in the squad I keep my confidence level high. I was always ready to grab my opportunity with both hands.'

4. 'I have been bowling for a while, in first class and ODIs (List A). I had an idea of how to bowl on this pitch. The conditions here are conducive for spin. I tried to vary my pace. Thankfully, I achieved the desired results.'

5. 'This is a team game. Yasir Shah and Hafeez are world-class bowlers, drawing comparisons is unfair. To say that they aren't good because they were wicket-less today doesn't make sense. It was my day today. I was lucky. I took time to get my rhythm going. I didn't find success in the first session. There was a bit of pressure but I refocused in the afternoon and thankfully was successful

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mushy has done great work with the spinners. Yasir hasn’t been the same bowler since Mushy left the team coaching staff.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done Bilal Let's hope this performance is the start of a good, lengthy test career.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boi View Post
    Mushy has done great work with the spinners. Yasir hasn’t been the same bowler since Mushy left the team coaching staff.
    Exactly. He used to coach Yasir every session. Yasir was phenomenal those days no matter where we played.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bilal Asif story: Aussie tormentor had almost quit cricket to be an electrician in Kuwait 10 years ago

Dubai: Ten years ago Bilal Asif had almost quit cricket by joining his father in Kuwait to work as an electrician, but a change of heart brought about by ex-Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik has paid dividends.

On Tuesday Asif became the latest spinning bete noire for Australia, snatching 6-36 in the first Test in Dubai to trigger a spectacular collapse for the Baggy Greens, who lost 10 wickets for 60 runs as they slumped from a soild 142-0 to 202 all out.

That gave Asif third best innings figures on Test debut for a Pakistani bowler behind Mohammad Asif (7-64) and Mohammad Nazir (7-99).

The 33-year-old made his international debut when he played three one-dayers for Pakistan in Zimbabwe in 2015, but had to wait another three years for a Test role.

Asif, however, said it had been worth the wait, praising former skipper Malik for some timely advice.

Back from Kuwait

"It's an old story that I went to Kuwait to help my father, but Malik advised me to return and fight hard for a place in the Pakistan team," recalled Asif. "It was a worthy return."

The tall and energetic Asif hails from a small town of Allo Mahar Sharif, close to Sialkot in the northeast Punjab which has produced players like batting great Zaheer Abbas, Ijaz Ahmed, Malik and Haris Sohail.

During his one-day stint in Zimbabwe his bowling action was reported as illegal, but on assessment it was cleared -- another tough phase of his career.

Last year he was included in Pakistan's squad for the two-match series against Sri Lanka, but did not feature as team management thought he was still not ready.

Asif's chance finally came as Pakistan deemed him useful against Australia's three left-handers in the top order in the Dubai Test.

Asif said his success was a reward for hard work and patience.

"Being a professional cricketer, you have to be tough mentally. I always kept working hard. I didn't think whether I would get a chance or not," said Asif, who overshadowed his more illustrious spin partner Yasir Shah, who went wicketless in Australia's 202 all out.

Pakistan, having gained a lead of 280 in the first innings, closed the third day at 45-3 in their second innings, an overall lead of 325 runs.

"I was out of the team since 2015. I was at the National Cricket Academy camp where I worked with head coach Mushtaq Ahmed. I got the reward for that hard work," said Asif, who was dismissed for a duck after being sent in at number three to see out Tuesday's play.

https://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/ar...t-10-years-ago

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Los Angeles
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I wasn't bothered that my action was called before as that's a thing of the past"

Meanwhile Hafeez smiles at a distance.