Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"People are no longer interested in watching boring Test matches" : Aaqib Javed

ISLAMABAD: Former Pakistan fast bowler Aaqib Javed has sent out a stern warning to the cricketing world by stating that someday Test cricket will come to an end bearing in mind the paucity of interest in the game’s longest version from the fans.

“Nobody watches the matches except for the players participating in the match and the support staff,” said Javed. “One day Test cricket will come to an end considering the ongoing situation.” He added that the International Cricket Council (ICC) must take steps to save Test cricket.

“It is about time that the ICC takes some serious steps regarding the future of Test cricket,” he said. “Broadcasters are also not interested in covering five-day cricket.”

Citing the ongoing Test match between Pakistan and Australia as an instance, Javed said that it was clearly evident that fans were no longer interested in watching boring Test matches.

“The players won’t enjoy playing if there is no crowd to back them,” he said. “People are no longer interested in watching boring Test matches as they are keen on watching matches which last for a smaller duration and are more entertaining.”

https://dailytimes.com.pk/308826/aaq...cket-is-bleak/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong. Many people follow it through media, online etc. Just that today's world does not give them enough time to fully dedicate to it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Wrong. Many people follow it through media, online etc. Just that today's world does not give them enough time to fully dedicate to it.
    very good point.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong, only English/Australians follow it and select few fanatics in other countries. Do check the attendance and viewer rates for test matches in SC. Tests are alive only because of Ashes.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Wrong, only English/Australians follow it and select few fanatics in other countries. Do check the attendance and viewer rates for test matches in SC. Tests are alive only because of Ashes.
    Bring on Pak-Ind 5 match test series, then we can see what happens. You won't see an empty seat in any ground.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "select few" maybe outnumbered, but still considerable enough to not be dismissed as "nobody"

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although, I don't disagree with the general principle - tests are losing support as each year passes - but you can't really comment on the viability of test cricket by analyzing test crowds in the UAE. It's ludicrous.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right u are

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    Bring on Pak-Ind 5 match test series, then we can see what happens. You won't see an empty seat in any ground.
    Just as all India Pak tests were houseful in the past right?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree with Aqib here. Ive been watching Test cricket since I was a child, although it is still followed very much in England by the cricketing community, parents and the working middle class white folk, however the decline is not because of it being boring rather it is simply because of Sky Sports limiting its viewership considerably! England's Test match summer was followed very deeply throughout the country when it was broadcasted on Channel 4 (terrestrial TV). Although Sky would claim that their possession of TV rights for England's home and away Test matches is their attempt to expand and globalise the sport and ECB wouldn't really mind as long as they are raking in top dollar, however the truth is that they have seriously limited its viewership simply to those that want to pay to watch Test cricket rather than those that would watch it as long as its for free.

The rest of the countries also, I do not see empty stands at home venues of the world the way I see them in the UAE. England, Australia, India, South Africa, even Bangladesh can still produce a reasonable crowed for home games. Pakistan produced excellent crowds throughout their series against England in 2005, in Test matches also. The India series at home was obviously well attended.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan had great attendance for the India series in Pakistan.

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They weren't empty either. That was over 10 years ago as well.

People would do anything to watch Pak-Ind play now.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewana Mastana View Post
    They weren't empty either. That was over 10 years ago as well.

People would do anything to watch Pak-Ind play now.
    Only for the first couple tests maybe. After that it will go back the same way it used to.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many people saying they follow it online. Please understand crickets primary revenue stream is tv broadcasting rights. If you don't watch the match full day along with TVCs, it simply becomes an unviable property.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Following is online/Cricinfo doesn't generate much revenue for the game. If TV viewership and ticket sales are bad then it doesn't help

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aqib has a point. I love test cricket but for general public its boring. People prefer tamasha domestic leagues over international test matches. Harsh truth.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People will watch meaningless T20 leagues and ODIs but its true they wont watch 5 day tests without a context. Make it a two year world league with a good point system and then we will hopefully see rejuvenated interest in tests.

I am a hardcore test cricket fan but its true that they are very hard to follow these days, unless they are played on result oriented tracks like england, australia, etc.

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the truth hurts guys but its a boring format overall. Many games are drawn and not played at a decent rate. No one has time to watch 5 days of cricket to be played for a draw. Its the least popular format by a mile. Why most people think cricket is boring is because of this old school format. Its for old budda cricket lovers. It doesnt attract the young people.
    Last edited by ibykhan2020; 11th October 2018 at 23:13.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is so boring about a draw?

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bring on pakistan vs india 5 twenty20 matches in England vs one test match 5 days between the same teams. The 5 twenty20 games will sell out in 2 hours.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats boring technicially its no result

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People do keep in touch with Tests by various ways. No one is gonna sit in a stadium for 7 hours a day, five days getting bored to death. If crowd attendance is what Aaqib is talking about then Test Cricket was never entertaining in the first place.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    india
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test cricket is missing late Tony Greig

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    People will watch meaningless T20 leagues and ODIs but its true they wont watch 5 day tests without a context. Make it a two year world league with a good point system and then we will hopefully see rejuvenated interest in tests.

I am a hardcore test cricket fan but its true that they are very hard to follow these days, unless they are played on result oriented tracks like england, australia, etc.
    Actually people watch T20 leagues because it is meaningful, competitive as there is a end winner there. While tests are meaningless and totally uncompetitive.

How even test matches is a sport should be the question? This format requires the least athleticism. And a sport has to be time bound, where time is the biggest constraint. So 90 minutes, 20 overs, last minute goals, last ball, is what means a sport quality.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Many people saying they follow it online. Please understand crickets primary revenue stream is tv broadcasting rights. If you don't watch the match full day along with TVCs, it simply becomes an unviable property.
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Following is online/Cricinfo doesn't generate much revenue for the game. If TV viewership and ticket sales are bad then it doesn't help
    Spot on. TV revenues is what keeps the boards afloat. The stadium ticket sales are a small % of the overall revenue. Will barely pay for the utility bills of the stadium. But something is better than nothing.

If people switch to following on websites, TV broadcasters will start paying less. Though I suspect that all the money the broadcasters are bidding is for T20's and ODI's. That is where the eyeballs are. They are forced to broadcast tests because it's are bundled with the other two during bidding. I am sure they lose money during the tests.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    'People are no longer interested in Aqib Javed's opinion'

/thread

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprising to read that Australia produces result oriented tracks.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Aqib has a point. I love test cricket but for general public its boring. People prefer tamasha domestic leagues over international test matches. Harsh truth.
    The problem is that turning cricket into Commonwealth baseball isn't the answer either. If they try and alter the test game, the purists will hate it and those who don't watch it won't be drawn to it either. I'd be inclined to ditch ODI cricket instead, there's simply no point to it. The reasons why traditional cricket fans aren't watching the game is down to the political correctness as a result of ICC codes of conduct, the resultant lack of characters in the game, the slow flat pitches, spineless batting against lateral movement and the destruction of the tactical side of the game to the kind of dumbed-down level that only the GCSE generation would find intellectually stimulating. Cricket was never a game for the masses and was always a sport that was a cut above the rest. Trying to make the game a global commercial venture has destroyed it.

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by someone21 View Post
    Actually people watch T20 leagues because it is meaningful, competitive as there is a end winner there. While tests are meaningless and totally uncompetitive.

How even test matches is a sport should be the question? This format requires the least athleticism. And a sport has to be time bound, where time is the biggest constraint. So 90 minutes, 20 overs, last minute goals, last ball, is what means a sport quality.
    In tests Bowlers can expect to bowl over 20 overs per innings, keeper can expect to keep for close to 100overs and batsmen are expected to play long innings and score hundreds.

Requires extreme skills, stamina and fitness and you are saying it requires least athleticism?

Compare that with a T20 whee bowlers bowl max 4 overs each.

Your idea of athleticism is quite different from the norm, i have to say.. lol

And the t20 leagues are inconsequential to me because they are really domestic tournaments and a dime a dozen and happen every three months or so.. whereas world xups and international cricket have higher stakes.. thats what i meant..

Kut khani hai to aa jao idher, khushbo laga ke!

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In tests Bowlers can expect to bowl over 20 overs per innings, keeper can expect to keep for close to 100overs and batsmen are expected to play long innings and score hundreds.

Requires extreme skills, stamina and fitness and you are saying it requires least athleticism?

And the t20 leagues are inconsequential to me because they are really domestic tournaments and a dime a dozen and happen every three months or so.. whereas world xups and international cricket have higher stakes.. thats what i meant..
    What rubbish. There is little emphasis on fielding, and overall athleticism in test. It's with T20, that a single run has value weather scored or saved. And who says T20 doesn't require extreme skills? Many players struggle in T20s, ask your Pujaras, Azhar Ali....

There is absolutely no relevance to tests series these days. People want tournaments weather it's world cups or club T20 leagues.

Also, how many fans have actually played 5-day cricket? What's the use of this test format when 99.999% of fans have never played it as it can't be replicated for a common man. Replication is key to quality of sport where different levels or age groups can play the sport.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davethebrave View Post
    The problem is that turning cricket into Commonwealth baseball isn't the answer either. If they try and alter the test game, the purists will hate it and those who don't watch it won't be drawn to it either. I'd be inclined to ditch ODI cricket instead, there's simply no point to it. The reasons why traditional cricket fans aren't watching the game is down to the political correctness as a result of ICC codes of conduct, the resultant lack of characters in the game, the slow flat pitches, spineless batting against lateral movement and the destruction of the tactical side of the game to the kind of dumbed-down level that only the GCSE generation would find intellectually stimulating. Cricket was never a game for the masses and was always a sport that was a cut above the rest. Trying to make the game a global commercial venture has destroyed it.
    Your posts speaks about elitism, and a rich man's sport. You are uncomfortable with players coming from all walks of life today. You want cricket to stick to certain people only.

It's no coincidence that those who call test cricket as superior call themselves as superior and smarter fans as well. It's elitism again and plain nonsense really.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do realize test bowlers bowl at only 80% of their max speed right? I don't know any other professional sport where players deliberate limit their full potential. You need concentration to play chess as well, and chess is surely not classified as competitive sport.