Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"It doesn't feel like a win. We were outplayed" : Tim Paine

For Pakistan, it was a draw that felt like a defeat. They began the Test with a double century opening stand and never relinquished the ascendancy, but still couldn't force a win.

Having given themselves the best part of five sessions to force a win, Pakistan looked well set when they took three wickets with the score on 87, Australia still 375 runs from their target.

But Australia gritted and battled, and managed to defy the Pakistani attack, eventually reaching the close on the fifth day eight wickets down. However, while there was a good deal of relief from the Australian team, their captain Tim Paine said that the thrilling finish didn’t make up for their poor play earlier in the Test.

“It doesn’t feel like a win,” he said. “We were outplayed. We’re proud to get something out of it, but we can play a lot better in the next Test. It was a really tough five days. Pakistan played outstandingly well and put us under pressure from the first day. For us to get a draw out of that from where we came from at one stage on the third day is an outstanding effort from our group and we can be very proud of that.”

Though there is plenty to improve on, Paine was pleased with the heart his team showed. “We want to be a team that fights all the time and never gives in. I think we can take a lot of belief out of what’s happened in the last few days and take that through to the next Test with confidence.”

He also never felt hope was completely lost, even when Australis began their final innings. He credited Usman Khawaja’s mammoth 141 as “one of the best innings you’ll see anywhere in Test cricket”.

“I was hopeful,” he said. “I thought we’d have to bat really well and I thought we’d need someone to get a massive hundred and I think we did. I think Usman played one of the best innings you’ll ever see anywhere in Test cricket. On that wicket on day five, he really showed guts, and determination, but he also showed the high level of skill he’s got. While he was there I was always confident that we could get through.

“It was an amazing innings, full of everything you’d want from a Test match innings. People will talk about how much he fought and the conditions, but it was amazing batting with him to see just how good he is in that skill sense.”

Paine himself could take a lot of credit for the draw, facing 194 balls for his 61*, but was understandably less effusive about his own knock. “I was just trying to bat for as long as I could, there was no real secret to it. I was just trying to watch the ball as hard as I could and play straight.”

The second Test begins on Tuesday, 16 October at Abu Dhabi.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/877762

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compare this statement from Paine, to the statements our team was giving after the Brisbane test match where chasing 480 we got bowled out for 440 odd... and our team and everyone us were celebrating Shafiq's century cutting cake for him... it got a bit ridiculous, but the optics didn't show this was a team that felt defeated.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    india
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning mentality of Aus will be there forever. Even when they are struggling to put un decent talent.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Surprised Aussies settled for a draw. Usually its a win or bust for them.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup Aussies don't take anything other than a victory so even if they draw the game from the most unlikely circumstances, they won't be happy.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Compare this statement from Paine, to the statements our team was giving after the Brisbane test match where chasing 480 we got bowled out for 440 odd... and our team and everyone us were celebrating Shafiq's century cutting cake for him... it got a bit ridiculous, but the optics didn't show this was a team that felt defeated.
    And also compare it to Indian team management's attitude after 1-4 defeat.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    356 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjahmed23 View Post
    Surprised Aussies settled for a draw. Usually its a win or bust for them.
    Not realistic to chase 462.

Had the target been 380 or 390 they would have gone for it.

And I get so high.. And I just can't feel it....

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol it is as big a win as any they have had in the subcontinent. Pakistan might have played well in patches, but they got out-played completely when it really mattered. I won't be surprised if Australia give a resounding thrashing to this bunch of kittens in the next game.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice modesty. I'm sure they're delighted with this performance.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waleed88 View Post
    Excellent point, Rahul and Pant scoring 100s were celebrated as if they had won the test/series.

Sub-continent players hype themselves too much but in reality is different.

I rarely see subcontinent players saying they were at fault but they are ready to take all the credit.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    884 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I wish the idiots in our management had such an attitude.

Too bad they are busy chest thumping.

I am not one of you. I never was. I am not one of them either.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paine says it doesn't feel like a win. Arthur says Pakistan feel like they've lost. So therefore, this test doesn't count .

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is right in the sense that Pakistan were the superior side throughout but even in team sports, every now and then, an individual performance is so remarkable it can change the entire match. Usman Khawaja had that performance.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can remember Steve Smith saying after Australia were eliminated from the Champions trophy that he was embrassed to be in that position.

Australia's mentality is something which I admire.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Very honest assessment and mark of a good captain.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Very modest guy. Pakistan certainly didn't outplay australia considering they won the toss.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Very modest guy. Pakistan certainly didn't outplay australia considering they won the toss.
    ? Australia were on the verge of a loss for most parts of this game.

I understand the anti-Pakistan bias but this is ridiculous.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim Paine has been sounding very plastic since his appointment as Captain. Presume he has orders from above to act certain way in order to improve the image of Australian cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    ? Australia were on the verge of a loss for most parts of this game.

I understand the anti-Pakistan bias but this is ridiculous.
    No bias here miggy Bhai. If you can't close out a match after batting first and winning the toss in Dubai AND having a 280 + lead, im not sure how Pakistan have outplayed Australia. It's even Stevens for me. Pakistan did very well to set a target of 460 but then Australia played equally well to survive 140 overs which I think is the 2nd on the list for longest 4th innings ever?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    No bias here miggy Bhai. If you can't close out a match after batting first and winning the toss in Dubai AND having a 280 + lead, im not sure how Pakistan have outplayed Australia. It's even Stevens for me. Pakistan did very well to set a target of 460 but then Australia played equally well to survive 140 overs which I think is the 2nd on the list for longest 4th innings ever?
    Bro - Australia played to survive which tells me one team dominated this game (didnt win which is pretty bad)

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    LOL what is this logic?

Of the 12 tests in Dubai, 6 times teams have won who have won the toss, 3 times teams have won who have lost the toss and 3 have been draws.

Set aside your hate.

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And despite losing 4-1 what does our coach Shastri ji say?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    LOL what is this logic?

Of the 12 tests in Dubai, 6 times teams have won who have won the toss, 3 times teams have won who have lost the toss and 3 have been draws.

Set aside your hate.
    No hate at all. This was a wicket where batting first gives a massive advantage. Pakistan should have won this test in the position they were in. This was an even test.