Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rasikh Salam - 17-year-old J&K seamer gets a call for trials from Mumbai Indians

Mumbai Indians (MI), the three-time champion of the prestigious Indian Premier League (IPL), has called upon 17-year-old speedster Rasikh Salam from Jammu and Kashmir for the trials of next year’s IPL. The trial session is expected to take place tomorrow. The fast bowler recently played a couple of matches for his state in the ongoing Vijay Hazare Trophy.

In the two matches, the young prodigy picked up three wickets, including the scalps of Baba Aparajith, Narayan Jagadeesan, and Mahipal Lomror. The IPL franchise, captained by Rohit Sharma, didn’t take time in identifying the talent. An associate member of the Mumbai Indians (MI) saw his performance against Tamil Nadu and was impressed by Rasikh’s bowling.

The associate member was brisk to call the bowler up for the trials. “He (the associate member of Mumbai Indians) was amazed to see Rasik’s pace and swing at such a small age. Later, he invited Rasikh for the trial camp of Mumbai Indians that is scheduled to take place at Mumbai tomorrow,” the official of JSKA was quoted as saying in Sportskeeda.

Rasikh bagged the limelight when he was selected by Irfan Pathan in a talent hunt camp held at Shei-I-Kashmir Stadium in Srinagar. Pathan and Parvez Rasool, the J&K skipper, were all praise for the pugnacious potential. Mumbai Indians have the knack of discovering prodigious talents, one of them is Jasprit Bumrah, India’s stalwart in the bowling department.

Jammu and Kashmir haven’t seen may players emerge over the years. Spinner Parvez Rasool went on to represent India in ODI and T20I cricket, albeit he has played only one match each in the two formats. He also had the privilege of playing 11 matches in the IPL. Last year another cricketer from the state- Manzoor Dar- was picked in the IPL, but he didn’t get a game.

https://www.crictracker.com/17-year-...or-ipl-trials/
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 15th October 2018 at 21:15.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mumbai Indians always back young talent. Easily the best franchise in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Mumbai Indians always back young talent. Easily the best franchise in the world.
    We know talent when we see one. Hope he becomes next bumrah.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    We know talent when we see one. Hope he becomes next bumrah.
    I have seen this guy bowl and I can say that he is easily the fastest bowler from J&K.Umar Nazir used to be the fastest and he used to bowl around 130 Kph but this guy is even quicker than Umar.Plus he can swing it too at that pace.Irfan Pathan loved his slower deliveries and said that his slowers deliveries are of international standard.He took two wickets against a strong Tamil Nadu side and there were 4 catches dropped off his bowling.Only thing that is not in his favour is his height.He should be in contention to play for Ind U19.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canford Cliffs View Post
    Yeah,they gave chance to Chahal when no one knew him.Bumrah and that leg spinner that played for them last season are other examples

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see more and more talent being unearthed from other states.

BCCI's next aim should be to strengthen the cricket system and infrastructure in states like J&K, Assam, Meghalaya, etc.

There is a lot of talent in every corner of the country. It is our duty to give them the platform to realise their potential.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hisham_ashraf View Post
    Yeah,they gave chance to Chahal when no one knew him.Bumrah and that leg spinner that played for them last season are other examples
    I think you are referring to Mayank Markande?

Even Kuldeep Yadav was first spotted and recruited by MI scouts way back in 2012.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen this guy bowl and I can say that he is easily the fastest bowler from J&K.Umar Nazir used to be the fastest and he used to bowl around 130 Kph but this guy is even quicker than Umar.Plus he can swing it too at that pace.Irfan Pathan loved his slower deliveries and said that his slowers deliveries are of international standard.He took two wickets against a strong Tamil Nadu side and there were 4 catches dropped off his bowling.Only thing that is not in his favour is his height.He should be in contention to play for Ind U19.
    It'll be good for him if he get to play u-19 under dravid so he can further hone his skills. I am excited to see him play for mumbai.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking great prospect, wish him all the best

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_outsider View Post
    I think you are referring to Mayank Markande?

Even Kuldeep Yadav was first spotted and recruited by MI scouts way back in 2012.
    Yeah I was referring to Mayank.Although I saw him bowl only in game but he bowled beautifully in that game.I guess it was against CSK and he took 3 wickets.
    Didn't know that even Kuldeep was first spotted by them.They certainly have the eye for talent.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navin View Post

Apparently he impressed the MI coaching stuff with his performance in trials,and guess what this guy has only played 2 games for J&K across all age group cricket.
    Although I don't think MI will pick him in the auctions.He is far too young right now with very few performances under his belt but I would love to see him play for Ind U19.He has a wonderful inswinger

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to see more and more talent being unearthed from other states.

BCCI's next aim should be to strengthen the cricket system and infrastructure in states like J&K, Assam, Meghalaya, etc.

There is a lot of talent in every corner of the country. It is our duty to give them the platform to realise their potential.
    The thing is that there are usually 4-5 months in which no cricket can be played in J&K and that is the winter season.To add to that there is curfew every second day and lastly there is only one stadium in Kashmir.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Middle stump uprooted twice in two balls! Wow!!!

Looks like a really promising talent! Once he gets the proper support and infra l, he will put on some muscles and become even quicker!

Hope BCCI looks after this young lad and he plays for the nation one day! Best of luck to him! Thanks for the video @navin always exciting to see a young fast bowler

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently he impressed the MI coaching stuff with his performance in trials,and guess what this guy has only played 2 games for J&K across all age group cricket.
    Although I don't think MI will pick him in the auctions.He is far too young right now with very few performances under his belt but I would love to see him play for Ind U19.He has a wonderful inswinger
    Absolutely agree with you, I wouldn't want success go to his head so early of his career. It's better he rubs shoulders within the system for an year at the least at U-19 and if he performs there, only then he should be selected for IPL.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a really promising talent! Once he gets the proper support and infra l, he will put on some muscles and become even quicker!

Hope BCCI looks after this young lad and he plays for the nation one day! Best of luck to him! Thanks for the video @navin always exciting to see a young fast bowler

How about this one!
    Generally the players in J&K are 2 years older then what they state but I guess he is a genuine 17 year old
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 15th October 2018 at 21:16.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely, Bang on!

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtu.be/dA0youMfSho
    How about this one!
    Generally the players in J&K are 2 years older then what they state but I guess he is a genuine 17-year-old

It might be the case but from the pictures, he is looking like a 17-year old unless the photos are old.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is that there are usually 4-5 months in which no cricket can be played in J&K and that is the winter season.To add to that there is curfew every second day and lastly there is only one stadium in Kashmir.
    It's true. It's a miracle that J&K are still throwing up so much talent despite the daily struggles.

I have been to J&K only once in my life. When I was about 17 years old. And I can honestly say I have never met more friendly and nicer people anywhere in India. My first day there, I was just roaming around Srinagar with my camera and I met a fisherman and in 10 minutes we became friends and he took me home and didn't let me go before I ate something.

I will never forget that trip. Without a doubt my favourite. And the most beautiful place I have visited.

I hope BCCI finds some solutions to the problems J&K cricketers face. Maybe they can set up a camp for them near Gurgaon like they have done for Afghan cricket team.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be the case but from the pictures, he is looking like a 17-year old unless the photos are old.
    No the photos are not old.Players generally do all this to play extra seasons in U19/U16 but as he hasn't played a single game in age group cricket he hasn't felt need to do that.He was discovered by Irfan Pathan this year only.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtu.be/dA0youMfSho
    How about this one!
    Generally the players in J&K are 2 years older then what they state but I guess he is a genuine 17 year old

If he gets proper support, this kid is going to represent the nation one day. I am sure of it.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No the photos are not old.Players generally do all this to play extra seasons in U19/U16 but as he hasn't played a single game in age group cricket he hasn't felt need to do that.He was discovered by Irfan Pathan this year only.
    Nice to hear that Irfan Pathan found him, one of my very favourite cricketer. Is Irfan somehow associated with J&K cricket association?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true. It's a miracle that J&K are still throwing up so much talent despite the daily struggles.

I have been to J&K only once in my life. When I was about 17 years old. And I can honestly say I have never met more friendly and nicer people anywhere in India. My first day there, I was just roaming around Srinagar with my camera and I met a fisherman and in 10 minutes we became friends and he took me home and didn't let me go before I ate something.

I will never forget that trip. Without a doubt my favourite. And the most beautiful place I have visited.

I hope BCCI finds some solutions to the problems J&K cricketers face. Maybe they can set up a camp for them near Gurgaon like they have done for Afghan cricket team.
    Agree with you fully.
    That thing that you wrote about the fisherman not letting you go before you ate something,that actually has become a sort of tradition.We don't let our guests go until they eat something.
    There are certain players who go to Delhi during winters but then some are poor and can't afford to go to other states

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to hear that Irfan Pathan found him, one of my very favourite cricketer. Is Irfan somehow associated with J&K cricket association?
    He is currently a coach-cum-player for J&K. Although he mostly focuses on coaching/mentoring.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His action resembles a lot like Chris Morris

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes he plays for J&K nowadays as mentor cum player.He started to play for J&K this year only.He conducted trials, practice matches and has really helped J&K cricket.Although his performances with both bat and bowl have been disappointing but he is doing his best

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsin123 View Post
    His action resembles a lot like Chris Morris
    Indeed

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with you fully.
    That thing that you wrote about the fisherman not letting you go before you ate something,that actually has become a sort of tradition.We don't let our guests go until they eat something.
    There are certain players who go to Delhi during winters but then some are poor and can't afford to go to other states
    This is where BCCI must step in. What is the point of all that IPL money the board earns if we can't support our talent when they need it the most.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is currently a coach-cum-player for J&K. Although he mostly focuses on coaching/mentoring.
    I didn't know that but I am sure he will unearth more such jewels who can represent India at various levels.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where BCCI must step in. What is the point of all that IPL money the board earns if we can't support our talent when they need it the most.
    Hopefully with the upcoming talent coming,the concerned authorities will step in.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yes he plays for J&K nowadays as mentor cum player.He started to play for J&K this year only.He conducted trials, practice matches and has really helped J&K cricket.Although his performances with both bat and bowl have been disappointing but he is doing his best
    Irfan was a lost opportunity. When he made his debut he was full of talent and energy but with time he didn't justice with his talent and lost his zeal. BTW what happend to Parvez Rasool? Haven't heard of him for a long time.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Irfan was a lost opportunity. When he made his debut he was full of talent and energy but with time he didn't justice with his talent and lost his zeal. BTW what happend to Parvez Rasool? Haven't heard of him for a long time.
    He actually is still amongst the top performers in all formats in the domestic tournaments held across India.He wasn't treated well after he played his first ODI.He picked up two wickets and was dropped in the next game.Since then he hasn't been selected in ODI's.Ideal format for him was Test cricket as his main performances have come in Ranji Trophy but I guess he was picked up for the wrong format or you could argue that with Ash and Jaddu already there it was tough for him to get into the team.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW what happend to Parvez Rasool? Haven't heard of him for a long time.
    He is still going strong. Was J&K's highest wicket taker last Ranji season again.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shake a tree in India, Pacers will fall down like ripe fruits.

Amazing to see a 17 yr old bowl with pace and swing. He actually reminds of Deepak Chahar. Looks a bit like him too. Hope Salam adds some height and pace and not become like Chahar.

So we now have 3 bowlers who are under 20 and exciting. Nagarkoti/Mavi/Salam.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is still going strong. Was J&K's highest wicket taker last Ranji season again.
    He received Lala Amarnath award this year for the best all rounder in domestic cricket

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He actually is still amongst the top performers in all formats in the domestic tournaments held across India.He wasn't treated well after he played his first ODI.He picked up two wickets and was dropped in the next game.Since then he hasn't been selected in ODI's.Ideal format for him was Test cricket as his main performances have come in Ranji Trophy but I guess he was picked up for the wrong format or you could argue that with Ash and Jaddu already there it was tough for him to get into the team.
    Sorry I don't follow domestic cricket much. But as you have rightly pointed out Ashwin and Jadega has been cemented in Test cricket for a long time and now here is kuldeep. So it'll be very difficult or he has to perform exceptional to get picked in test squad but Parvez being an alrounder is more suited for limited overs cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post

Amazing to see a 17 yr old bowl with pace and swing. He actually reminds of Deepak Chahar. Looks a bit like him too. Hope Salam adds some height and pace and not become like Chahar.

And two 21y old from last batch. Avesh and Khaleel.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to Nagarkoti,I guess he was injured and since then haven't heard anything regarding him.Mavi is the real deal.Rasikh has to play more.His height is a concern though.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And two 21y old from last batch. Avesh and Khaleel.
    Too much talent coming through with already superb pace battery of BK/Bumrah/Shami/Ishant/Yadav who can all serve for another 4-5 years easily. In Bumrah's case, he will serve India even longer. Shami is also 27 only.

Wish we had this talent back in 90's and 2000's when we had to suffer the never ending trundler brigade.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What happened to Nagarkoti,I guess he was injured and since then haven't heard anything regarding him.Mavi is the real deal.Rasikh has to play more.His height is a concern though.
    Nagarkoti is recovering from surgery. And Rajasthan don't really need him that much anyway. No need to rush him.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened to Nagarkoti, I guess he was injured and since then haven't heard anything regarding him.Mavi is the real deal.Rasikh has to play more.His height is a concern though.
    What's his height? Nagarkoti and Mavi aren't that tall either. Ther are 5' 8" and 5' 9" respectively.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I don't follow domestic cricket much. But as you have rightly pointed out Ashwin and Jadega has been cemented in Test cricket for a long time and now here is kuldeep. So it'll be very difficult or he has to perform exceptional to get picked in test squad but Parvez being an alrounder is more suited for limited overs cricket.
    The thing is that his bowling is suited for test matches.He doesn't possess a doosra and depends mainly on giving the ball some air and loop. Conventional off spinners struggle in ODI's and T20's.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much talent coming through with already superb pace battery of BK/Bumrah/Shami/Ishant/Yadav who can all serve for another 4-5 years easily. In Bumrah's case, he will serve India even longer. Shami is also 27 only.

Wish we had this talent back in 90's and 2000's when we had to suffer the never ending trundler brigade.
    Shami surely can't be 27!

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nagarkoti is recovering from surgery. And Rajasthan don't really need him that much anyway. No need to rush him.
    Oh yes Rajasthan have so many fast bowling options.It is surprising that even when Nagarkoti gets fit he will still have to fight for his place in the Rajasthan team.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's his height? Nagarkoti and Mavi aren't that tall either. Ther are 5' 8" and 5' 9" respectively.
    He would be around 5'9"

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shami surely can't be 27!
    his DOB is 9 March 1990 but you are right he doesn't look like 28

I am sure he must have fudged his DOB.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nagarkoti got a back injury after the IPL. Last I heard, he was supposed to be going to UK for his surgery.

I don't think Rasikh's height will be a factor. He is still young so he will probably grow another couple of inches.

Plus there are a lot of pacers who are not very tall but still doing very well. Bumrah, Bhuvi, Philander, Steyn, Malinga are all 5" 10 or shorter. Rasikh seems to already have very good pace so even if he doesn't become 6 feet tall, with his pace his balls will skid on and trouble batsmen.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He would be around 5'9"
    so no problem then, He just needs to put on some muscle which he'll gain with time as most fast bowlers do.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nagarkoti got a back injury after the IPL. Last I heard, he was supposed to be going to UK for his surgery.

I don't think Rasikh's height will be a factor. He is still young so he will probably grow another couple of inches.

Plus there are a lot of pacers who are not very tall but still doing very well. Bumrah, Bhuvi, Philander, Steyn, Malinga are all 5" 10 or shorter. Rasikh seems to already have very good pace so even if he doesn't become 6 feet tall, with his pace his balls will skid on and trouble batsmen.
    True,being tall doesn't mean that you will become a successful bowler and similarly not being tall doesn't mean that you can't become a successful bowler.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so no problem then, He just needs to put on some muscle which he'll gain with time as most fast bowlers do.
    He will be playing for the U19 team on Friday.Would be interesting to see how he performs because it's the only game that he will get as its the last match of that tournament for J&K.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will be playing for the U19 team on Friday.Would be interesting to see how he performs because it's the only game that he will get as its the last match of that tournament for J&K.
    Is there any way we can get to see its telecast somewhere?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any way we can get to see its telecast somewhere?
    No,one can only follow the scores.Although if a player performs well(say he picks up 5 wickets) then there is a slight chance of watching his wickets.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No,one can only follow the scores.Although if a player performs well(say he picks up 5 wickets) then there is a slight chance of watching his wickets.
    In that case, I wish him all the best and hope takes a fifer and some generous guy would upload his performence on youtube.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First he had a foot injury before IPL this year. Then he had a back issue. The last I read, he was going to London for assessment of the injury.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First he had a foot injury before IPL this year. Then he had a back issue. The last I read, he was going to London for assessment of the injury.
    Would be interesting to see what his pace would be after the injury.He was really quick in the U19 WC.