Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Pucovski - Australia top-order batsman

VICTORIAN cricket has been shocked by revelations batting sensation Will Pucovski will take an indefinite break from cricket to deal with a mental health issue.

The 20-year-old thrust his name in the national conversation with a stunning 243 last week in Perth, in just his seventh Sheffield Shield innings.

It was an effort which convinced plenty, including legendary Test captain Steve Waugh, that the batting prodigy was ready for Test cricket now.

But after being withdrawn from this week’s Sheffield Shield clash against NSW, Cricket Victoria officials confirmed the rising star is dealing with issues off the field.

It makes his innings at the WACA all the more impressive from the brilliant young batsman, who was potentially on the verge of Test selection.

Young Victorian batting star Will Pucovski.
    Officials were restricted in how much they could reveal about Pucovski’s condition, but confirmed he won’t return to the playing field until he is ready.

“Will’s health remains our highest priority and Cricket Victoria’s medical staff will continue to provide support to Will during this time,” Cricket Victoria’s Doctor Trefor James said.

Cricket Victoria General Manager Shaun Graf said selectors would continue to do what’s best for Pucovski.

“Will is a terrific young player and we need to do what’s best for him at this time,” he said.

“We’ll continue to work with our medical staff to determine the best training and preparation plan to support Will at this time.”

Pucovski has long been touted as a future Test player. He broke the scoring record at the national Under-19 championships in 2016, and in just his second Shield innings last year pounded 188 against Queensland.

Last week he became the youngest batsman since Ricky Ponting to score a Shield double-century and added his name to a star-studded list of just nine, including Sir Donald Bradman, to reach the mark before he turned 21.

But his early career has also been plagued by concussions, with two last summer impeding his progress.

His talent, however, has not gone unnoticed.

On Friday morning Waugh told the Herald Sun that of all the young talented batsmen in Australia, Pucovski was the one he would elevate to the Test side now.

Will Pucovski is taking an indefinite break from cricket.
    The former Test skipper, who has seen a lot of Pucovski in junior representative sides, said Pucovski was one of a rare breed of batting prodigies who has all the tools to wear a baggy green before he turns 21.

“There’ some good kids coming through. But I think Pucovski is ready to be picked now,” Waugh told the Herald Sun.

“I’ve seen him in the under-19s and he had an adult head on young shoulders when he was 17 and 18 and scoring hundreds. He’s got a really good temperament, he knows how to score runs. When you see him as a 20-year-old, he’s well advanced.

“He was the one kid I identified as being ready. He’s got the right temperament and that’s the key at that age. He won’t be overawed if he does get selected. If they are looking to change the team, he’s the guy I would bring in.”

https://www.outline.com/UUSLSd

Hope the kid recovers quickly, still young and if he can get back it will be good for Australian cricket, mental health is an important issuse and Australia spends a lot of money to help people recover.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good to see he is priotrising his health over career at the moment. Mental health is serious. I wish him well.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Read elsewhere that he was tired from the exertion of scoring a double century in the last match, and hence his team decided to give him a break. Thought this was another instance of Australian cricket going soft.

But now it appears there's more to it.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The rapidly rise of mental health issues in not just sport but life in general is very disturbing. I think we can safely conclude it is far more pronounced in todays world compared to 10-15-20 years ago. Maybe people are much more open about it.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The rapidly rise of mental health issues in not just sport but life in general is very disturbing. I think we can safely conclude it is far more pronounced in todays world compared to 10-15-20 years ago. Maybe people are much more open about it.
    Definately more open abuot it, in Australia people have been talking about mental health for a while now, some of our sportsmen and women have been affected, and the Australian government spend a lot of money on it.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the best to him. Wish him a quick recovery.

Mental health isn't a joke and it's good to see people more aware about it.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba Red View Post
    Definately more open abuot it, in Australia people have been talking about mental health for a while now, some of our sportsmen and women have been affected, and the Australian government spend a lot of money on it.
    Don't think the govt us putting as much money as it should.......the govt here gives lips service nothing else. Seeing a dr costs 100s if $$$ before the rebate.
    I hope he gets the help he needs. He has also suffered a few head knocks and concussion syndrome can lead to depression and anxiety.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mental Health issues in Pakistan are not even considered an issue, it is considered a sign of weakness, not being man enough, maybe people in the educated and upper middle class people might acknowledge but think of the poor masses

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Will Pucovski is the future of Australian cricket and “it’s time to give him a go” in the upcoming summer.

That’s the opinion of Shane Warne, who named the 21-year-old at number 6 on the batting order in his Test XI to face Pakistan at The Gabba next month.

Warne was disappointed not to see Pucovski feature at The Ashes, and after scoring a century and a 64 in two of his past four Sheffield Shield digs the Spin King says it’s time to unleash “the best young player in Australia”.

“I wanted Will Pucovski to be part of the Ashes and was disappointed when he wasn’t,” Warne wrote in the Herald Sun.

“He’s the future of our batting, he’s the best young player in Australia and it’s time to give him a go.”

Warne has kept the faith with David Warner atop the order despite an atrocious run of scores in England, partnering him with fellow left-hander Usman Khawaja.

Marnus Labuschagne keeps his place after deputising impressively for Steve Smith when a concussion rubbed him out of the third Ashes Test, while James Pattinson and Josh Hazlewood are preferred to Mitchell Starc behind spearhead Pat Cummins in a three-man pace attack.

And while Warne names Paine as captain, he’s urged the veteran ‘keeper to up his game with bat in hand or he might find selectors looking for a younger replacement at No.7.

“Yes, he’s the best wicketkeeper in Australia but I look at that No.7 spot and think there are some candidates such as Alex Carey and Josh Philippe who could dominate with the bat and be very good with the gloves.

“Phillippe, 22, is young and would be a pick ahead of schedule, but a good punt.”

SHANE WARNE’S FIRST TEST XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Matthew Wade, Will Pucovski, Tim Paine (c), James Pattinson, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc (12th man).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...e5e5adf6c92c19

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will is real talent. I hope he makes his test debut this year. Australian cricket is on the rise again.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamba Red View Post
    VICTORIAN cricket has been shocked by revelations batting sensation Will Pucovski will take an indefinite break from cricket to deal with a mental health issue.

The 20-year-old thrust his name in the national conversation with a stunning 243 last week in Perth, in just his seventh Sheffield Shield innings.

It was an effort which convinced plenty, including legendary Test captain Steve Waugh, that the batting prodigy was ready for Test cricket now.

But after being withdrawn from this week’s Sheffield Shield clash against NSW, Cricket Victoria officials confirmed the rising star is dealing with issues off the field.

It makes his innings at the WACA all the more impressive from the brilliant young batsman, who was potentially on the verge of Test selection.

Young Victorian batting star Will Pucovski.
    Officials were restricted in how much they could reveal about Pucovski’s condition, but confirmed he won’t return to the playing field until he is ready.

“Will’s health remains our highest priority and Cricket Victoria’s medical staff will continue to provide support to Will during this time,” Cricket Victoria’s Doctor Trefor James said.

Cricket Victoria General Manager Shaun Graf said selectors would continue to do what’s best for Pucovski.

“Will is a terrific young player and we need to do what’s best for him at this time,” he said.

“We’ll continue to work with our medical staff to determine the best training and preparation plan to support Will at this time.”

Pucovski has long been touted as a future Test player. He broke the scoring record at the national Under-19 championships in 2016, and in just his second Shield innings last year pounded 188 against Queensland.

Last week he became the youngest batsman since Ricky Ponting to score a Shield double-century and added his name to a star-studded list of just nine, including Sir Donald Bradman, to reach the mark before he turned 21.

But his early career has also been plagued by concussions, with two last summer impeding his progress.

His talent, however, has not gone unnoticed.

On Friday morning Waugh told the Herald Sun that of all the young talented batsmen in Australia, Pucovski was the one he would elevate to the Test side now.

Will Pucovski is taking an indefinite break from cricket.
    The former Test skipper, who has seen a lot of Pucovski in junior representative sides, said Pucovski was one of a rare breed of batting prodigies who has all the tools to wear a baggy green before he turns 21.

“There’ some good kids coming through. But I think Pucovski is ready to be picked now,” Waugh told the Herald Sun.

“I’ve seen him in the under-19s and he had an adult head on young shoulders when he was 17 and 18 and scoring hundreds. He’s got a really good temperament, he knows how to score runs. When you see him as a 20-year-old, he’s well advanced.

“He was the one kid I identified as being ready. He’s got the right temperament and that’s the key at that age. He won’t be overawed if he does get selected. If they are looking to change the team, he’s the guy I would bring in.”

https://www.outline.com/UUSLSd

Hope the kid recovers quickly, still young and if he can get back it will be good for Australian cricket, mental health is an important issuse and Australia spends a lot of money to help people recover.
    When did he return from his break? Is he feeling good now?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Shane Warne isn't the only one backing a youthful injection into the Australian Test lineup this summer, with Allan Border claiming he believes Victorian young gun Will Pucovski has earned a selection.

The Aussies will take on Pakistan next month in a two-match series, before facing off against New Zealand in a three-match series.

There has been - and will continue to be - plenty of chat around selection leading into the first Test, but Border has named the one man he believes should be selected.

“I would definitely be going for the young kid, Pucovski," he told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"I haven’t seen a lot of him but he’s got some good numbers to back up the fact that he is young and we probably should be looking at the future and maybe getting some of these young blokes in there.

“Especially considering we are playing New Zealand and Pakistan in our own country, it’s a good opportunity to try out some of these young fellas, so I’d definitely be looking at him for sure.”

It is high praise from one of Australia's most successful and well-respected cricketers, and at just 23 years of age Pucovski clearly has a bright future.

Border also spoke about the other batting positions, with a potential opening spot also up for grabs alongside the under-pressure Dave Warner - with Marcus Harris and Usman Khawaja the front-runners.

“There is an opening spot up for grabs...Marcus Harris is the incumbent and he has made a few runs, he probably looks the most likely," he said.

"(Marnus) Labuschagne probably secured himself in the Ashes series. Steve Smith, he might get a game. Matt Wade did enough in the Ashes series to stay in the side.

“The two Queensland boys in Burns and Khawaja are fighting for the same spot for the Tests, they both bat top of the order...but they have been a little bit disappointing with their scores.

"Tey did well in the One Day competition, but they have struggled in the Sheffield Shield which is the one that really matters.

"There are guys that you could throw in there, but nobody has burst out of the pack and said ‘pick me’ as a definite."

The Aussies will start their T20 seires against Sri Lanka this weekend before preparing for the Test summer.

Likely first Test lineup: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Will Pucovski, Matt Wade, Tim Paine (c), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/cric...41vmnoal71vdsn

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Batting whizkid Will Pucovski has the inside running in a battle with Travis Head for a Test middle-order position, former Australian captain Mark Taylor believes.

Pucovski and Head have been named to bat No.4 and No.5 respectively for Australia A against Pakistan, in a three-day tour match starting on Monday in Perth.

With the withdrawal of Nic Maddinson from the game, it seems that Pucovski and Head are front-runners to claim a spot for the first Test at the Gabba from November 21.

Taylor believes that Pucovski has his nose in front, having come close to a debut last summer and with Head dropped during the Ashes.

"I think Will Pucovski, Travis Head, that will be the big battle in this game for Australia A v Pakistan," Taylor said on Sports Sunday.

"I suspect the Australian selectors want to pick Pucovski; 21-year-old Victorian averaging 50 in first-class cricket, has a double-hundred in Shield cricket. This young kid can play and they'd love to give him an opportunity.

"On the other side of that equation is Travis Head, who wants to get back in the side and is a vice-captain of the Australian side. You've got a bit of experience against a guy they want, I think, to get in the side.

"If Pucovski does well, it wouldn't surprise me if he debuts in that first Test."

Taylor said that Maddinson's exit from the Australia A game on mental health grounds was concerning. The former captain was a supporter of Maddinson's to earn a Test recall, given his strong Sheffield Shield form for Victoria.

"It's a worrying trend for sure, and it's good now that he players are far more open to actually coming out and admitting it," Taylor said.

"I think he (Maddinson) seems to be enjoying the game at the moment. He's moved to Victoria (from NSW), the last eight Shield games he's averaged nearly 80, four hundreds in that.

"So he's actually playing well and yet there's still some mental issues there that he needs to deal with. Put your hand up, get away, and hopefully come back a better person."

Taylor said he believed that Marcus Harris would retain his opening batting position alongside David Warner, yet hasn't entirely ruled out dropped No.3 Usman Khawaja, while the bowling attack picks itself.

MARK TAYLOR'S FIRST TEST SQUAD: David Warner, Marcus Harris/Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Will Pucovski/Travis Head, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (c), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson.

AUSTRALIA A TEAM vs PAKISTAN: Marcus Harris, Joe Burns, Usman Khawaja, Will Pucovski, Travis Head, Cameron Bancroft**, Alex Carey (c), Michael Neser, Jhye Richardson, Sean Abbott, Riley Meredith.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/aus...d-8e58b435651e
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th November 2019 at 10:21.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's rated highly. I hope to see him get a chance.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Travis Head has been backed to reclaim his spot in Australia’s Test side, but a sideline chat between Will Pucovski and Australia coach Justin Langer has added to the selection mystery.

Langer and chief selector Trevor Hohns will on Thursday unveil a 12-man squad to face Pakistan in two Tests in Brisbane and Adelaide.

Head had appeared the narrow favourite to edge out Pucovski for the vacant middle-order post after his century against a Josh Hazlewood-led NSW attack in the Sheffield Shield last week.

But the situation was clouded during Wednesday evening’s dinner break in the Australia A tour match against Pakistan, where Pucovski appeared to be congratulated by teammate Marcus Harris and had a lengthy conversation with Langer.

Langer and Hohns sat down on Wednesday to finalise their plans, with uncertainty lingering as to who will fill the two vacant batting slots.

National selectors hedged their bets last summer by naming a 14-man squad for the first two Tests against India, with their conservatism likely due in part to Steve Smith and David Warner being unavailable through suspension.

The 12-man squad this time around suggests Langer and Hohns are clear on their plans, despite none of the Test hopefuls in the Australia A side firing a shot.

Head boasts superior experience to the highly-talented but untried Pucovski, as well a strong record prior to being dropped during the Ashes.

The left-hander, who was vice-captain during the Ashes, scored more Test runs than any other Australian during Smith and Warner’s absence.

Head was among Australia A’s batting flops in Perth but he impressed in the last Sheffield Shield round with a century against a Josh Hazlewood-led NSW attack.

“That was probably the best hundred I’ve seen for the year, that one last week against the best attack we’ve had against us,” South Australia coach Jamie Siddons said.

“If they’re going to pick someone in form, he’s the one.”

It remained unclear on Wednesday evening who would open the batting alongside Warner for the first Test at the Gabba starting November 21. Former Test opener Simon Katich and ex-national coach Darren Lehmann have been among those pushing the case for Joe Burns to play at the Gabba. But the Queenslander was clean-bowled for a golden duck in the first Australia A innings in Perth, then made 11 in the second dig.

Burns has lacked opportunities but boasts four Test centuries and plenty of experience batting on the spicy Gabba deck.

He was also unlucky to miss out on this year’s Ashes after being diagnosed with a fatigue disorder which forced him to return home.

Incumbent Test opener Harris has a recent Sheffield Shield century to his name but it was on one of the flattest Junction Oval pitches in recent memory. Harris also struggled during the Ashes, while top-order stalwart Usman Khawaja has underwhelmed for much of the past year.

Mitchell Starc’s fiery recent form has him tipped to play at the Gabba ahead of fellow quick James Pattinson, who would be most likely named 12th man.

Possible Australia XII: Joe Burns, David Warner, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head/Will Pucovski, Matthew Wade, Tim Paine (capt), Pat Cummins, Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...b0252491b8144b

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia advises Will Pucovski has requested not to be considered for selection in the Australian Test squad to play Pakistan due to matters pertaining to mental wellbeing.

Pucovski reported the issue to team management in Perth on Tuesday evening and, after extensive consultation, it was agreed he could finish Australia A’s three-day tour game against Pakistan.

His decision to withdraw from Test selection consideration is fully supported by Cricket Australia.

Ben Oliver, Cricket Australia’s EGM of National Teams, said Australian cricket would always place the wellbeing of its people ahead of performance.

“We applaud Will for having the courage to discuss his situation with team management in Perth,” Oliver said. “Will’s decision not to nominate for Test selection was the right one in the circumstances and one that everyone in the Australian cricket family supports.

“Mental health is a complex issue that unfortunately impacts many young men and women in our society. By Will bravely taking this position, he will undoubtedly inspire others facing similar challenges to speak up and take positive steps towards improving their mental wellbeing.

“The most important thing now is for Will to be given the time, space and expert support that he needs to return to full health as soon as possible.

“I speak on behalf of everyone in Australian cricket when I say we wish Will the very best in his recovery.”

Alex Kountouris, Cricket Australia’s Sports Science and Sports Medicine Manager, said Cricket Australia will provide Pucovski with all the support he needs and continue to seek to better understand the issues pertaining to mental wellbeing.

“There is much society still needs to learn in relation to mental health, but we know enough to say with great certainty that silence is not the answer,” Kountouris said.

“Cricket Australia has committed to being open about the challenges faced in managing mental health. We are putting player wellbeing first and supporting them unconditionally. That’s something we’re proud of.

“Will has demonstrated great strength in being open about his situation. While no one wants to see a fine young man like Will confronting mental wellbeing issues, we are heartened by the fact he is surrounded by excellent people who will support him. We are all right behind him.”

National selector Trevor Hohns will address the media in Perth at 11am AWST to announce the Australian Test squad for the first Test against Pakistan at the Gabba.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another mental illness victim.

Get well soon, Will.

Bangladeshi Guy

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Australia captain Tim Paine says the mental wellbeing of players takes priority over cricket after batsman Will Pucovski became the third of their players to take a break from the game.

Pucovski, 20, asked not to be considered for Test selection against Pakistan to focus on his mental health.

"We want Will to be a happy young man," said Paine. "The first priority for us is his mental wellbeing."

Glenn Maxwell and Nic Maddinson are also taking a break from cricket.

"Will making the right decision to step away and take care of himself and get himself healthy and in the right state of mind is going to be important because we think he's someone who's got a huge Test future," added Test captain Paine.

"He's had a lot of pressure put on him from outside sources, and hopefully he's in a position in the next few years to fulfil the potential that he's got."

Root and Silverwood 'aligned' on two-year plan to win back Ashes
    Pakistan to host first Test since 2009
    Earlier this month, all-rounder Maxwell, 31, took an indefinite break from cricket because of mental health issues and batsman Maddinson withdrew from the Australia A game against Pakistan.

Maxwell's decision has been praised by many, with his team-mate Chris Lynn saying "25 million Australians" are behind the short-format specialist.

And speaking before his side's Test match against Bangladesh, India captain Virat Kohli said: "I think what Glenn has done is remarkable.

"It has set the right example for cricketers around the world that if you're not in the best frame of mind you try, and try and try, but as human beings you reach a tipping point at some stage.

"And you need time away from the game. Not to say you give up, but just to gain more clarity."

Australia have named a 14-man squad for their two-Test series against Pakistan, which begins at the Gabba on 21 November.

Cameron Bancroft, who was dropped after two Tests during the Ashes series in England, has been recalled alongside Joe Burns.

Pakistan's squad includes three teenagers, the youngest being 16-year-old paceman Naseem Shah.

Australia squad: Tim Paine (c), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner.

Pakistan squad: Azhar Ali, Abid Ali, Asad Shafiq, Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Imam-ul-Haq, Imran Khan, Iftikhar Ahmed, Kashif Bhatti, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Rizwan, Musa Khan, Naseem Shah, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood, Yasir Shah.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50420017

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Will Pucovski and Nic Maddinson will both make their cricketing returns on Friday after mental health breaks but Glenn Maxwell remains sidelined for the time-being.

Both Pucovski and Maddinson have been picked in Victoria’s squad for this week’s Sheffield Shield clash against NSW at the MCG after getting medical clearance to resume playing.

The two star batsmen completed a full training session at the MCG on Wednesday morning and Cricket Victoria general manager, Shaun Graf said the pair would continue to be supported.

“We are looking forward to having Nic and Will back playing for Victoria after receiving clearance from our medical staff,” he said.

“We’ll continue to support all our players through their return to play.”

Maxwell, who played club cricket last week nearly a month after stepping away from the game to focus on his mental wellbeing, is yet to return to the nets for the Vics.

He completed a running session on Wednesday but teammate and long-time friend Aaron Finch said there would be no push for Maxwell to return until he was fully ready.

“Him having a hit for his club on the weekend was a really valuable step for him,” Finch said.

“It probably took him a little bit more time than he thought it would to get back in to it.

“No doubt it’s going to be a gradual process to get back, and whether that’s next week, next month or next year, I think it’s something that, with the amount of awareness around mental health these days, you have to be mindful of the player making the right decision in their best interest and not trying to rush them back for a particular game or set a defined date on it.”

Fast bowler James Pattinson has been named, subject to being released from the Australian Test Squad, to play in the upcoming fixture, while opener Marcus Harris also returns having missed the last Shield match with Australia A duties.

Teen sensation Jake Fraser-McGurk, who made dual fifties in his Shield and one-day debuts for the Vics last week won’t play against NSW.

The 17-year-old will instead strut his stuff against players his own age in the national Under 19 carnival which begins in Perth next week.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...1c376f2e469ab2

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Victoria coach Chris Rogers has admitted that while he had seen what young gun Will Pucovski is capable of and heard tales from his coaching assistants of the star batter's seemingly boundless potential, he didn't realise how good Pucovski is until he saw him first-hand.

But despite the 22-year-old setting new records and tongues wagging with his unbeaten, career-best 255 in his first outing as a first-class opener, Rogers believes Pucovski would be best served by settling into his craft at the top of the order rather than being rushed into Australia's Test squad.

Pucovski seems certain to figure in discussions among national selectors during the next round of Marsh Sheffield Shield matches as they finalise an expanded squad for the upcoming four-Test Vodafone Series against India.

He has twice before been included in Australia's Test planning but has battled some well-documented mental wellbeing issues but his performance against South Australia last weekend – when he and new opening partner Marcus Harris combined to score 486 – has heightened calls for his elevation.

Rogers said today, in the wake of Victoria's drawn result against SA in a game where Pucovski spent every minute of all four days on the field, he would be delighted if the young right-hander was given his chance at international representation.

"You don't actually do that in many games in your life, to spend every minute out there, so that's incredible," Rogers said.

"He was absolutely fantastic."

But as a former Test opener himself, who waited until well into his prolific career before securing a regular Test berth, he believes that even a talent as profound as Pucovski's needs time to fully learn a new craft.

"We asked him if he would be prepared to do a different role," Rogers said tonight when asked about Pucovki's maiden innings as an opener.

"It was something he did in the juniors but he probably hasn't been accustomed to it of late.

"He was completely open to it and actually kind of looked forward to it and then then to go out and play the way he did …

"I must admit listening to the other (Victoria) coaches they have seen him play like this before but I didn't realise how good he actually is.

"He's just a class player and he's got a big future but I think he's going to have to show this for a little while.

"I'm not a national selector, but I think it would be good for him just to play for a while with us and keep putting the performances in.

"If the opportunity did come (in the Australia team) then good luck to him, but equally it would be good to see him just make it his position in the team and do well."

Rogers was also full of praise for Harris who is also eyeing the Test berth he surrendered in the wake of Australia's 2019 Ashes campaign.

The left-hander has worked closely with Rogers during the off-season and made some adjustments to his technique largely designed to combat bowlers attacking him from around the wicket.

It was a ploy that SA's seamers used during his epic partnership with Pucovski at Glenelg Oval, but in posting 239 in an innings lasting almost 400 balls Harris vindicated the subtle changes he's made even though he admits his new approach is far from perfect at this stage.

And Rogers lauded the work his fellow left-hander has put in during the off-season to now put himself back in those selection discussions to take place next week.

"He's been excellent," Rogers said of Harris.

"He's wanted to do the work.

"There were some sessions when he was quite frustrated, and he wasn't quite certain that what he was doing he thought was right but he persisted and he really did work hard on a few changes.

"There's still a little bit of way to go. I heard his comments (yesterday) and he thought it's not perfect but he showed he's got the skill to adapt and play a long innings like he did in this game."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/will...eld/2020-11-02

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    on the verge of scoring his third double tonne in 20 odd first class games. aus fc cricket aint the level it used to be, but this kid has some serious aptitude for building big innings.

surely a call up to the test squad cant be too far away

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    on the verge of scoring his third double tonne in 20 odd first class games. aus fc cricket aint the level it used to be, but this kid has some serious aptitude for building big innings.

surely a call up to the test squad cant be too far away
    Wade is wasting a place. Same for Burns.
    Australia should really invest in those younger talented players.

For this summer I will have :

Warner
    Puckowski
    Labuschagne
    Smith
    Head
    Green
    Paine
    Starc
    Cummins
    Lyon
    Hazelwood

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has been talked about for a while. It will be interesting to see if Australia give him a chance this summer.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    When Will Pucovski talks about deleting social media and work-related apps off his phone, he could be any 22-year-old discussing the pitfalls of growing up in the 21st century.

Sporting long, curly hair that he pared back last week from a shaggy mess to a more manageable mullet, Pucovski is navigating his way through the same challenges of young adulthood we have all faced, or will face.

But there is only one 22-year-old in the country who could make the Test captain, driving slowly past in a seven-seater van in the Karen Rolton Oval carpark, lean over the passenger seat and call out dryly, "Made a few runs, have you?"

Tim Paine is not yet sharing a dressing room with Pucovski, but he could be soon. He's not even playing against him during this ongoing round of Marsh Sheffield Shield matches; the fact he's in the same place due only to the unique fixturing of these early season matches that sees all six teams based in Adelaide.

The extra attention of the nation’s first-class cricketers is in addition to the regular focus the competition attracts from the public early in the summer as Baggy Green hopefuls make their case to be picked for Australia.

But the fact a great deal of the recent hype has centred on Pucovski does make him a little different to most 22-year-olds.

Not that he's noticed much of the attention.

After batting against SA and WA for almost 1,005 minutes and scoring 457 runs before finally getting out on Monday, Pucovski's inclusion in the Test team to face India next month has been demanded by three of Paine's predecessors.

Yet the only cricket-related content Pucovski has looked at in recent weeks was an awkward photo taken of him when he reached his century against WA on Sunday.

"It was actually Cameron White who sent me the photo yesterday – he's incapable of giving a compliment without a little backhander," Pucovski told cricket.com.au with a laugh, referencing his first Victorian captain.

"He made sure I saw that from every angle, and a few of my mates got stuck into me about it as well. I wasn't too happy about that one, but it's all a bit of a laugh.

"I haven't really read anything about (Test selection) and it's completely out of my control. All I can do is present myself every day and hopefully do well for the team."

Aside from an occasional Instagram scroll to see how his partner, friends or dogs are faring, Pucovski removed all social media from his phone earlier this year.

It's been hard to be a normal 22-year-old in Melbourne this year, as Victoria endured some of the world's toughest COVID-19 restrictions. In Adelaide, when he's not in the middle of a cricket ground making runs, it’s been a bit easier.

"We're staying in a lovely place down at the beach and maximising that, going for a few walks - I've decided that's a better way to go about it than spending days buried in your phone," Pucovski says.

"On the whole I've been better off without it. You spend a lot of your days scrolling through Twitter or Instagram for pointless reasons.

"As an athlete you can get caught up in it – I don't feel like I ever have, but it's more from a general well-being perspective.

"It means I'm able to do better things with my life, to be honest."

It's hard to argue with that.

Pucovski doubles down on Test bid with back-to-back 200s
    By Monday evening, Pucovski had scored more runs in two innings than any other batter in the competition.

After blazing an unbeaten 255 against SA last weekend, he backed it up over the past two days with 202 against WA to become the first Victorian since Bill Ponsford 93 years ago to score consecutive double hundreds.

Add to that the fact he only found out on the eve of the SA match that he would be opening the batting, and it's one of the more incredible starts to a Sheffield Shield season in recent memory.

While he's now expected to challenge Joe Burns for the Test opening spot, Pucovski is not necessarily wedded to facing the new ball.

"I wouldn't say it's something I've actively wanted to do but when it was proposed to me, it was more of a team balance thing," he said.

"Batting at No.3 (normally), I don't really see much of a difference to opening, because half the time you're in there earlier anyway. I wasn't that fazed to be honest.

"It's been good to get some runs opening but I'd also happily shuffle down to three if that was the best thing for the (Victorian) team."

Pucovski has faced well-documented challenges with his mental health in recent seasons and explained the exercises he has done to help him overcome them have been beneficial when he’s batting.

He resumed on 183 not out on Monday against WA and admitted there were times during his innings when he lost concentration.

"I don't think that inner competitiveness wavers, it's more just that inner fatigue over a week or two," he said.

"There was probably a stage or two where I found myself losing it a bit, but I was able to switch back into gear, which felt really good – just knowing I can switch back on and get back into that zone.

"It's about getting into a batting bubble and I found myself – for the first time in a couple of weeks – just leaving that a little bit. It was only for a short period when different things were going on in the game. I've developed the processes now where I know how to get myself back into that space.

"For me it hasn't necessarily been about the runs, it's been more about the process. I've been happy with how I've been backing my instincts and just playing off intuition and the more I can do that more regularly, the results will hopefully come.

"I've been a bit lucky in the last couple of weeks that big runs have come about. Cricket is a tough game where you are going really well and you're not making runs as well, so you've got to cash in when they are going your way."

If there is a sense he is making up for lost time, it's because he is.

It was a requirement for Victoria to quarantine for two weeks while every other team was able to travel to Adelaide without restriction, meaning they will only play two games in the initial Sheffield Shield bubble.

Australia's first Test against India is a day-night game at nearby Adelaide Oval in a bit over a months' time, while there are two tour games that precede it that shape as a further opportunity to push his case for inclusion.

But Pucovski has not cast his mind much further past his side pushing for victory against WA over the next two days, after their game against the Redbacks ended in a stalemate.

"After six weeks away here and the whole quarantine stuff, I'm pretty keen to go home, see my family, see my mates, see my girlfriend, see my dog," he said. "That's all I'm worried about.

"I'll try to finish the job here and get back Thursday, and enjoy some smashed avo at the local café."

Just like any other 22-year-old.https://www.cricket.com.au/news/will...dia/2020-11-09

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    You can just tell that he is going to average 50+ in Test cricket. Looks a complete batsman.

Australia’s batting lineup is looking very strong again. Smith is still at his best, but now he is being accompanied by two batsmen (Labuschagne and Pucovski) with 50+ average potential.

They have finally moved on from the days of Khawaja, S. Marsh, Head etc.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You can just tell that he is going to average 50+ in Test cricket. Looks a complete batsman.

Australia’s batting lineup is looking very strong again. Smith is still at his best, but now he is being accompanied by two batsmen (Labuschagne and Pucovski) with 50+ average potential.

Watch out for Cameron Green too. Allan Border referred to him as the “best batting talent Aus has produced since Ponting”

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Watch out for Cameron Green too. Allan Border referred to him as the “best batting talent Aus has produced since Ponting”
    Yes and on top of that he is an all rounder.
    Also swepson is working wonders in domestics.
    It looks like the glory days of Australian cricket are coming back, smith, labu, warner, green, will, cummins, starc,lyon.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some very good batsmen coming out of Australia now. Surprisingly it's now fast bowling which may be a concern in a few years when Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood go, no standout young fast bowler coming through at the moment.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The latter. Years ago it would be decided that a player lacked “mental strength” or somesuch meaningless term. Robin Smith asked the England manager Fletcher to see a sports psychologist, and was told that if he needed a psychiatrist he had no business playing for England. The England manager didn’t know the difference between psychologist and psychiatrist.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Some very good batsmen coming out of Australia now. Surprisingly it's now fast bowling which may be a concern in a few years when Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood go, no standout young fast bowler coming through at the moment.
    He is not standout but Jyhe Richardson is a good fast bowler.
    Maybe they have some good fast bowlers but recently, due to T20, they have invested in the wrong bowlers. The likes of Kane Richardson, Bolland, Tye... are good only for domestic.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    He is not standout but Jyhe Richardson is a good fast bowler.
    Maybe they have some good fast bowlers but recently, due to T20, they have invested in the wrong bowlers. The likes of Kane Richardson, Bolland, Tye... are good only for domestic.
    Yeah that's what I mean, no standout bowlers. Jhye Richardson is decent, Sean Abbott isn't bad either. What's notable is that the incumbent group of fast bowlers all made their test debuts relatively young, Cummins at 18, Starc and Pattinson at 21, Hazlewood at 23. At the moment there isn't any exciting, young fast bowler in the Sheffield Shield waiting to make his debut.

The good thing is that Cummins and Hazlewood, who are 27 and 29 respectively, will probably play for the next 5 years at least, by which time a young fast bowler could potentially come through.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Some lofty claims in there, these guys better than Umar Akmal?

I hereby present to thee, inventor of thy round table, arise - Sir Cumference

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That hairdo though

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Some lofty claims in there, these guys better than Umar Akmal?
    Well Green is an allrounder, which makes him more useful, and judging by his tendency to play very long innings, has a better defensive technique than Akmal. In terms of natural ability, hard to compare between any of them, as they're all outrageously talented. Chances are that Green and Pucovski will have more successful careers though since they're being managed in the much more professional Australian system, and so far there have been no complaints from anyone about their attitudes.
    Last edited by angrypathan; 11th November 2020 at 10:02.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Part of the Australia squad to face India. Lets see what the hype is all about!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Few young Australian cricketers have generated as much excitement as Will Pucovski in recent years but the shaggy-haired batsman is ignoring the hype as he bangs on the door for selection ahead of the Test series against India.

The 22-year-old was named among five uncapped players in a bumper 17-man Test squad on Thursday after piling up 495 runs in two Sheffield Shield matches when opening the batting for Victoria.

He will have another chance to impress selectors when he faces India's bowlers in a tour match in Sydney from Dec. 6.

The Australia “A” game has been seen as an unofficial “bat-off” with incumbent opener Joe Burns, who has hit a lean patch for Queensland in recent Shield games.

But Pucovski has little interest in giving oxygen to the speculation and has switched off his social media accounts to be free of distractions.

“I think it's a bit of a media buildup, to be honest, the big bat-off thing,” he told reporters on Friday.

“I think all I can control is how I go about it in my preparation and then obviously in the game so I feel like my batting's in a really good place.

“I'm off a lot of social media, so that makes it a lot easier. You can't get tagged on Twitter and stuff if you don't have the app, so that's been a pretty easy one for me.”

Australian cricket rarely fails to produce wunderkinds but experts have already marked Pucovski as a once-in-a-generation talent in the mould of Ricky Ponting or Steve Smith.

“It would be ridiculous to say he's not ready,” former Australia captain Ian Chappell told local broadcaster Nine Network.

“What the hell is he going to prove by playing more Shield cricket?”

The pressure of playing Test cricket on home soil is at an entirely different level, though, and selectors may be wary of throwing Pucovski into the cauldron of a hugely anticipated series against Virat Kohli's team.

The right-hander has a history of battling mental health issues and has taken time off from the game twice when on the cusp of Test selection.

Replacing Burns, whose solid opening partnership with David Warner helped Australia whitewash Pakistan and New Zealand in the last home summer, would also be a bitter pill for the incumbent.

“He's been amazing, hasn't he?” Australia coach Justin Langer told reporters of Pucovski on Friday.

“That said ... we loved the combination of Joe Burns and David Warner.

“At this point, I'd say that will remain the same.”

India in Australia: Kohli and Co. arrive in Sydney, start quarantine

Pucovski has also struggled with a series of concussion injuries dating back to a serious head-knock suffered in school football.

He believes the concussion problems may have contributed to his mental health struggles.

“Getting hit in the head a lot is not ideal from a physical or mental perspective,” he said.

“But I've done a lot of work in that space to try and make sure my process is in a really good place.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le33091072.ece

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Word is Pucovski will need to wait for his debut, with the selectors and coach preferring to retain faith in Burns for the first test. It's a cop out from them though, bit of a reductive decision.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Suddenly Australia have an outstanding 3, 4 and possibly 5.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Suddenly Australia have an outstanding 3, 4 and possibly 5.
    Pucovski is seen as an opener so will likely come in for Burns, he's not really fighting for a position in the middle order.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Looks like in the coming years we are going to witness another ATG team from Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Australia’s rising star Will Pucovski has deactivated his social media accounts to stay away from the hype and intense speculation over his selection in the playing XI for the Test series opener against India next month.

Very few young Australian cricketers have generated as much buzz in recent years as Pucovski, thanks to his prolific form in Sheffield Shield.

To free himself of all the distractions, he has cut himself off completely from social media.

“It’s a bit of a media build-up to be honest, the big bat-off thing,” he told reporters on Friday.

“All I can really control is how I go about it in my preparation and then obviously in the game so I feel like my batting’s in a really good place. I’m off a lot of social media, so that makes it a lot easier. You can’t get tagged on Twitter and stuff if you don’t have the app, so that’s been a pretty easy one for me.”

The prodigiously talented pair of Pucovski and Cameroon Green were among five uncapped players picked on Thursday in a 17-member Australian Test squad for the big-ticket four-match series against India, starting December 17.

In recent times, Australian greats have called for Pucovski’s selection in the team following his fine run in domestic cricket - the 22-year-old struck successive double centuries in his two Shield appearances.

His inclusion has set up a competition with fellow opener Joe Burns, who is feeling the heat after a disastrous start to the first-class summer, though he still seems to have the backing of coach Justin Langer.

“He’s been amazing, hasn’t he?” Langer had said of Pucovski on Friday.

“That said ... we loved the combination of Joe Burns and David Warner. At this point, I’d say that will remain the same,” the coach had added.

Pucovski has also struggled with concussion injuries dating back to a serious hit he took on head in school football. “Obviously getting hit in the head a lot is not ideal from a physical or mental perspective,” he said.

“But I’ve done a lot of work in that space to try and make sure my process is in a really good place.”

India plays three ODIs, three T20s and four Tests starting November 27. The ODI and T20 series will be played in Sydney and Canberra from November 27 to December 8. The much-anticipated Test series begins with the Day-Night Test at Adelaide from December 17.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le33100177.ece

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Concussion concerns hang over Will Pucovski once more after the young batsman was hit on the helmet in the closing stages of Australia A’s drawn tour match with India.

The 22-year-old, who has a long history of head knocks, sparked concern when he was struck withdrawing from a pull shot against paceman Kartik Tyagi.

Pucovski stayed down on his knees for some time before stepping up to his feet and walking off the field under his own power.

He retired hurt on 23 not out, having built the innings as he strengthened his case to be selected for the first Test against India at Adelaide Oval beginning December 17.

Pucovski has been in the frame for a debut after declaring himself ready following a break to look after his mental health.

Cricket Australia has already ruled Pucovski out of this weekend’s tour match at the SCG after experiencing mild concussion symptoms.

“He was monitored in our medical room and was communicating freely with staff and teammates as well as family over the phone,” Dr John Orchard said.

“We will continue to monitor Will over the coming days and provide an update on his condition in due course.”

On a positive note, Pucovski looked happy as he walked out of the ground and onto the team bus just over an hour later chatting with teammates.

“It’s not nice to see someone get hurt like that,” quick Mark Steketee said.

“He’s up, around, communicating cleanly.

“The doc’s obviously going to keep an eye on him in over the next 24 hours. But he’s in the changerooms and seems pretty well so far.”

While Pucovski’s first Test cap could now be delayed, there are greater worries for his physical welfare.

He has sustained nearly 10 concussions across his junior and senior sporting careers.

“A lot of medical advice has been suggesting that it can play a part in some other areas of your life. Obviously getting hit in the head a lot isn’t ideal from a physical or mental perspective,” Pucovski told reporters in November.

“It always helps to add reason to something or understand something a little bit better.

“It was (about) understanding how the brain works and how multiple concussions can affect you. But I feel like I’ve bounced back from concussions really well in the past.

“I’ve done a lot of work in that space to try and make sure my processes are in a really good place and I’ve got a great support team around me.”

Pucovski put his name up in lights with double centuries in both Sheffield Shield games for Victoria this summer.

David Warner remains in a race against time to beat a groin injury and play, leaving Pucovski in the driving seat to open alongside Joe Burns.

Even if Warner is fit, however, there was every chance on Tuesday afternoon that Pucovski had edged ahead of Burns.

The Queenslander’s poor run with the bat continued in Australia A’s second innings, out for a duck as the game finished with the hosts 1-52.

Sent back into bat late on the final day, Burns was bowled third ball when he played on trying to drive Umesh Yadav.

Marcus Harris, who could now find himself in contention for a recall, finished the day 25 not out.

Cameron Green also did his Test chances no harm, taking two wickets on Tuesday to go with his unbeaten 125.

https://7news.com.au/sport/cricket/g...nock-c-1730144

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wow.

He's approaching rugby forward level of concussions at that age. And we know for a fact they often suffer boxer type early dementia resulting from such things.

If he has a concussion again, as opposed to just a bump & scare... I don't know what the wise course is.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Wow.

He's approaching rugby forward level of concussions at that age. And we know for a fact they often suffer boxer type early dementia resulting from such things.

If he has a concussion again, as opposed to just a bump & scare... I don't know what the wise course is.
    Hope he is ok.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus 10 concussions. He could have cte. He needs a major break. Donor risk his life.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Too many concussions. I don’t think he should be playing cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The concussions could seriously curtail his career
    This may not be the time, but I feel that his batting in the tour match did not meet his reputation
    Green is definitely a better talent, even purely as a batsmen

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Man some of his concussions were such freak ones too. Like while net practicing getting hit by a ball from another net. Or while running when his bat got stuck and he hit his head on the ground

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This latest concussion may be the one that ends his chances of a baggy green. A shame because he's otherwise a wonderful batsman.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He is a doubt for the series opener against India after suffering a blow to the head.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kid has a history of concussion, he is only 21 and already has 10 concussions.

One of those was when he was playing AFL, he is multi talented gun.

He has gone through a lot, depression etc.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He needs retire before he becomes another casualty on the field.

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Man some of his concussions were such freak ones too. Like while net practicing getting hit by a ball from another net. Or while running when his bat got stuck and he hit his head on the ground
    He should not play. This is extremely dangerous. Australia should be fined if they let a player who is suffering from CTE play.

I can't believe he has been hit 10 freaking times. He has been concussed I mean.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Speaking as a psychiatrist, he has pretty much every red flag imaginable.

Played AFL and was concussed in that.

Multiple cricket head injuries.

History of depression following multiple head injuries, at a very young age.

I’m surprised that he is insurable to be honest. He is a walking WorkCover case (I think they call it WorkSafe in Victoria).

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Everyone knows that Pucovski is an extraordinary young talent.

That’s why many of us in Australia fear that just as Covid is our century’s Spanish Flu, he could be our Archie Jackson.

And that’s a really horrific prospect.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that Warner is officially out of the first test, hopefully he will be fit for it.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm worried for his health. He has suffered concussions before. Right now in international cricket there is a lot of fast bowlers.

Really worried for him.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    Now that Warner is officially out of the first test, hopefully he will be fit for it.
    Won't play until at least the 3rd Test, Australia has strict rules when it comes to brain injuries.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDrive View Post
    Won't play until at least the 3rd Test, Australia has strict rules when it comes to brain injuries.
    If he passes concussion tests he will be cleared to play. Was a concussion confirmed or just the hit to the head? (one is not necessarily the other)

There was 9 days between impact & first test. Rugby players in Australia (operating under the same sort of protocols) are regularly cleared to play after 6 or 7 days, with medical certification clearing them of an lingering effects.

So Pucjovski is probably still in the running if he didn't suffer effects in the days following. I actually expect to see him named.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If he passes concussion tests he will be cleared to play. Was a concussion confirmed or just the hit to the head? (one is not necessarily the other)

There was 9 days between impact & first test. Rugby players in Australia (operating under the same sort of protocols) are regularly cleared to play after 6 or 7 days, with medical certification clearing them of an lingering effects.

So Pucjovski is probably still in the running if he didn't suffer effects in the days following. I actually expect to see him named.
    All the news reports were saying mild concussion, so I'm guessing it was confirmed. Chances are that he will recover in time, but I don't see him getting the first game. Marcus Harris will probably come in imo

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Have to say, Tyagi almost ending the career of one of the potentially best batsmen of his generation, before either have even debuted.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    feel bad for the guy, but ten concussions, and a history of depression does not bode well.

its obvious hes a real talent but how is this fair on fast bowlers, to make a judgement call to bowl bouncers at him, or if not that to always have that doubt of knowledge about what could go wrong. what happens if a captain decides to give him a bumper barrage.

at the minimum he needs to ensure his technique is water tight against short pitch bowling, to minimise the chance of being hit on the head again.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    feel bad for the guy, but ten concussions, and a history of depression does not bode well.

its obvious hes a real talent but how is this fair on fast bowlers, to make a judgement call to bowl bouncers at him, or if not that to always have that doubt of knowledge about what could go wrong. what happens if a captain decides to give him a bumper barrage.

at the minimum he needs to ensure his technique is water tight against short pitch bowling, to minimise the chance of being hit on the head again.
    Important question.

#1 trust must be placed in the coach, team and doctors to put the players best interest first, above all.

#2 Knowing that, once a player takes the field in a full international sports match there is an unspoken agreement that all teams & players will, can & should play absolutely as hard as they can, within those rules. The rules and spirit of cricket certainly allow for bumpers to the batsmen- it can be a legitimate wicket taking ball, it can be part of a plan to set up another type of dismissal & the batsman can certainly take it on & hook or duck away. All fair.

India should have no worries about having to baby him. It's their job to find any fault & weakness they can. Responsibility for his selection lies 100% with Australia & his safety (as long as the rules are followed) is in his own hands with the umpire also as a safeguard.

Back to #1- if doctors clear him to play then it is ultimately Will himself who will know if he really wants it. If there is no medical reason, the team management should not block him (if they trust he can handle it).

Interesting article here from a former Oz cricket team doctor. Weighing up unknown risks vs a sports career he's worked his entire life for & is likely 10x more lucrative than any other succesfull career he might pursue (say 2 million a year for a top cricket vs 200 000 a year for an educated professional in mid levels).

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...1a8f41198c2af4

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was confirmed as mild concussion, and with his history I think we will play it safe.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘If you were a park cricketer, you’d say ‘retire mate’: Expert’s warning to Will Pucovski

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...1a8f41198c2af4

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He can play this guy. Looked better in his 20 odd balls than Burns or head have ever looked.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This kid is a gun, elite looks so comfortable.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks an absolute gem of a batsman on first impressions. However his concussion record isn't good. He seems to have suffered more concussions at his tender age than the whole rest of the Aussie team probably has done so in their collective careers. It cannot be good being constantly hit in the head and I worry for his future.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Looks an absolute gem of a batsman on first impressions. However his concussion record isn't good. He seems to have suffered more concussions at his tender age than the whole rest of the Aussie team probably has done so in their collective careers. It cannot be good being constantly hit in the head and I worry for his future.
    Looks okay. It’s a flat pitch against below average bowling. Only Bumrah was a threat. Ashwin on Day-1 will not threaten anyone.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guna View Post
    Looks okay. It’s a flat pitch against below average bowling. Only Bumrah was a threat. Ashwin on Day-1 will not threaten anyone.
    I guess time will tell when he has to bat on more testing wickets. Still, for a debutant he looks very assured at the crease and certainly better than others tried by the Australians during this series.

As I say, more than his quality, my main concern is the concussions which suggest he hasn't so far played the short ball too well and if he gets hit on the head by a 145kph bouncer, will he be ok?

I also hope his mental health issues are behind him. We all know from the likes of Trescotheic and Jonathan Trott that mental health can strike at its worse when you're on an overseas tour. Hopefully that will not be the case for him.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather not go all Naseem on him when he's basically scored a 50* on a flat pitch with 2 dropped catches and an easy run-out missed

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another overhyped batsman's technique exposed by Joel Saini Garner of all people

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Yet another overhyped batsman's technique exposed by Joel Saini Garner of all people
    He showed promise, but he was out like 4 times in 60 runs. Then there was his play against the short ball..

Still early days but he definitely could be a good batsmen for Aus eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDrive View Post
    This kid is a gun, elite looks so comfortable.
    Not really, he looked good in certain periods and then struggled and offered up several chances on a pretty flat pitch. Still early days can't say one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Australian Dhoni

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aman View Post
    Not really, he looked good in certain periods and then struggled and offered up several chances on a pretty flat pitch. Still early days can't say one way or another.
    He is on debut, he is going to be a gun, already is.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    I'd rather not go all Naseem on him when he's basically scored a 50* on a flat pitch with 2 dropped catches and an easy run-out missed
    So Indians picking up the dropped and missed run out syndrome from Pakistan.....wah bhai wah.....waise who knows how many wickets Saheen & co. missed due to butter fingers

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Early days...but has potential..... Green and him are hyped up for long....lets c....they need time....atleast on the positive side they r debuting at home

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A bit of a drameybaaz tbh

Shane Warne is right, no matter how good you are...you can’t pick and choose when you want to play. He is very talented, but I’m sensing he may not be able to translate that talent into a long, fruitful career.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    I have a very bad feeling about him. A feeling that I am not allowed to express explicitly.

I think he is a walking tragedy. I hope people can take the hint.