Andrew Symonds finally opens up on Monkeygate


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 128
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    16,981
    Mentioned
    2666 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

    Andrew Symonds finally opens up on Monkeygate

    Well, Andrew Symonds has finally talked about the toll that being racially abused took on his career, with a resultant escalation in his drinking leading to his dismissal from the team.

    It’s a sad, sad story.

    https://amp.news.com.au/sport/cricke...6763d316b31ccb


    ANDREW Symonds says he’s probably going to be remembered most for flattening a streaker in the middle of the Gabba but not every part of his cricket career will be looked back on with similar fondness.
    The all-rounder had plenty of highlights — among them a breakout 143 not out against Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup opener and his maiden Test century against England on Boxing Day alongside good mate Matthew Hayden — but a downward spiral saw his time in the national colours come to a sad end.

    The catalyst was an altercation with Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, who Symonds alleged called him a “monkey” during the Sydney Test in January 2008. The allegations caused an international storm and prompted India to threaten to quit its tour of Australia but Symonds, speaking to Fox Sports and Triple M commentator Mark Howard in an episode of his podcast The Howie Games, available on PodcastOne, said it wasn’t the first time Singh crossed the line with him.

    “I’d spoken to Harbhajan the (ODI) series before in India, he’d called me a monkey before in India,” Symonds told Howard.

    “I went into their dressing room and said, ‘Can I speak to Harbhajan for a minute outside please?’ So he came outside and I said, ‘Look, the name calling’s got to stop or else it’s going to get out of hand. We’ve got a few names for you blokes and you’ve obviously got a few names for us and that’s all good but it’s going to end in tears so let’s knock it on the head.’

    “So we shook hands and he said, ‘No problem boss, all good.’”

    But that wasn’t the end of it. Come the New Year’s Test — a spiteful affair the Aussies won in dramatic fashion late on day five, which prompted then-captain Anil Kumble to declare only one team was playing in the right spirit — Singh was back at it.

    Brett Lee was bowling short and fast at the Indian tweaker, Symonds revealing the hosts were “trying to take him out” by breaking fingers or ribs so he wouldn’t be a threat on a wearing wicket late in the match.

    But Singh saw the funny side, tapping Lee on the backside with his bat at one point during his innings.

    “I said, ‘Listen here d***head, we’re not out here to make friends, you’re about to get hurt here,’” Symonds said. “And he started going, ‘You’re nothing but a monkey.’

    “He said it probably two or three times. From that moment on that was my downhill slide.”

    Much has been said and written about what happened afterwards. Symonds felt let down by a lack of support from Cricket Australia, who he says begged him to downgrade the charge of racial vilification against Singh.

    Faced with the prospect of losing tens of millions of dollars if the all-powerful Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) followed through with its threat to quit the tour, CA was accused of caving under pressure and bowing to the demands of its Indian counterparts rather than backing its own player.

    Singh was originally handed a three-match ban, which was later overturned on appeal, but Symonds says he didn’t care what the punishment was. He felt betrayed by his own side but most torturous for him was the way his teammates were dragged into the scandal.

    Hayden, Michael Clarke and Adam Gilchrist all heard Singh call him a “monkey” and then Ricky Ponting made an official complaint when it was relayed back to him. Singh’s fate didn’t bother Symonds, he just felt awful his mates were being forced to suffer through the ordeal with him.

    “I started to drink heavily as a result of it and my life was starting to dissolve around me,” Symonds said.

    “I felt the pressure and the weight of dragging those mates of mine into the cauldron of this cesspit that should never have got to this sort of point where we felt guilty.

    “Me and Punter (Ponting) were up one night before the Adelaide Test until one in the morning talking to our solicitor, so it was tricky times.

    “I was dealing with it the wrong way. I felt guilty that I’d dragged my mates into something I didn’t think they deserved to be involved in.

    “I wasn’t particularly bothered on how he got punished, that was nearly irrelevant to me. I wasn’t thinking about that, I was thinking about what I was going through and what I’d put the other boys through.

    “That (the punishment) was neither here nor there with me, it was the weight and responsibility of what we’d all been dragged into.”

    Symonds struggled to deal with the fallout from the scandal along with the increased public scrutiny, which caused him to drink too much. He said his cricket suffered and so did his personal life.

    Forced to sign a different contract to the rest of the Aussie squad that included a commitment to not drink ahead of the World T20 in England in 2009, Symonds caved when he had a beer while watching a State of Origin match. He was sent home and never played for Australia again.

    But his cricket career continued in the lucrative Indian Premier League (IPL), where he was reunited with the person Symonds says “was perceived to be my worst enemy”.

    After a stint with the Deccan Chargers he became Singh’s teammate at the Mumbai Indians, where he discovered the two were actually quite similar. While it was frosty at first, an emotional apology from the finger spinner at a team BBQ a few games into the season was the catalyst for the two becoming good friends.

    “When I got to Mumbai it was icy, when I walked in there the first time,” Symonds said.

    “We’d had a few drinks and Harbhajan came over to me. He said, ‘Boss can I talk to you for a minute?’

    “He said, ‘I really want to apologise for what I did and what I said, I hope it hasn’t harmed you or your family too badly,’ and he broke down.

    “I could just see the weight lift off his shoulders when he got that off his chest.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd November 2018 at 10:52.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Brett Lee has denied the allegations against Harbhajan. It is all based on Symonds word saying Harbhajan called him a Monkey whereas Harbhajan maintained he was using an Indian slang "Maa Kii" which Symonds could have mistook for Monkey.

    But regardless Symonds just could not handle the fact that his white board bowed down to a brown board. He really should have kept his ego in check and handled the defeat like a man and get on with it but he chose the path of self destruction.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    9,628
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Tough to sympathize with someone like Symonds who was a bully. As it turned out he miscalculated badly by going against Harbhajan who had even bigger bully BCCI behind him. One of the rare cases where Australian theory of mental degradation backfired badly.


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    10,309
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeetu View Post
    Tough to sympathize with someone like Symonds who was a bully. As it turned out he miscalculated badly by going against Harbhajan who had even bigger bully BCCI behind him. One of the rare cases where Australian theory of mental degradation backfired badly.
    True. Symonds is one the last people that could evoke sympathy. He apparently can only dish it out but can't take it. Bhajji being an idiot is altogether a different issue

  5. #5
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I am going to be brutally honest. I think Symonds is just flat out lying about the whole thing. If anything Harbhajan should have sued him for libel

  6. #6
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    1,881
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Well, Andrew Symonds has finally talked about the toll that being racially abused took on his career, with a resultant escalation in his drinking leading to his dismissal from the team.

    It’s a sad, sad story.

    https://amp.news.com.au/sport/cricke...6763d316b31ccb
    As per his own admission, he started the fight.
    Someone like Symonds getting offended by monkey - makes no sense.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,822
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I doubt even Indian fans ever liked Harbhajan.. From what I gather, he has always been seen as a troll, much like Sreesanth.

  8. #8
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    15,183
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When it comes to Indian cricketers, I only admire their sporting abilities. Nothing else.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    3,421
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has he got a book to sell?

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,933
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    I doubt even Indian fans ever liked Harbhajan.. From what I gather, he has always been seen as a troll, much like Sreesanth.
    Harby did slap Sreesanth though.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,536
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbhajan has always been a spoilt brat and I would believe every word that Symonds is saying. However, one problem I have is that Australian deciding what is racial or abusive and what is not. In India, calling someone monkey is no big deal. Anyway, who's over enthusiastic is often tagged monkey.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    7,323
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Symonds had an alcohol problem long before the MaankiGate

    [URL="http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/265732.html[/URL]

    [URL="http://https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ponting-drunken-symonds-made-my-blood-boil-20051023-gdmawk.html[/URL]
    Last edited by cricketindiafan; 2nd November 2018 at 08:04.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    28,402
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Didnt Matthew hayden call Harbhajan an obnoxious little weed in a radio program during the same series? Two wrongs dont make a right but you dont get to personally decide what is below the belt and whats not.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    7,323
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Best part was he was so impacted by this incident that he decided to join IPL a month later (at a $1.35 million contract).

    Does he have a new book to sell?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    I doubt even Indian fans ever liked Harbhajan.. From what I gather, he has always been seen as a troll, much like Sreesanth.
    You couldn't be more wrong.

    Harbhahan was always a fan favorite. He was seen as the trusted team man who would put anything on the line for the team.

    There were times i felt he had to do more for the team than even the big record holders in that side. Monkeygate was one of the moments. No wonder why BCCI went full bersek in supporting him.
    Last edited by freelance_cricketer; 2nd November 2018 at 08:42.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    1,367
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well, Symonds deserved it whatever being said to him, being a bully back in his playing days. You reap what you sow.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    1,781
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why was it made into such a big deal. Aussies have called others far worse. McGrath called Sanath Jayasuriya, a black monkey. Graeme smith's debut was the worst ever experience he , apparently had. A case of pot calling kettle black! Not saying what bhajji did was right, all i'm saying is they making a mountain out of molehill!
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd November 2018 at 12:49.


    "Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Im one of the few people who is actually ready to believe Symonds was actually called a monkey. Indian fans did it. Tye players did too probably. We were not very aware of aboriginal racist slangs and Harbhajan surely wasnt a well read guy to have had hige sensitivity over such matters. Its one of thise things where the Aussies get to decide what is to be taken offense to and what not to. They said worse things on record to people.

    For Symonds, simply for that weird lipstick he used to put up he looked like a monkey. Everyone called Umar Akmal a monkey for the same reason ans never got accused of racism.

    Point here is that Symonds faced the abuse in India and had warned Indian cricketers of not repeating it. But then we went to Australia and this guy is one of the most vocal and abusive Aussie fielders. What is he expecting? Bhajji gave in to the provocations and called him a monkey again. He was asking for it and blowing it out of all proportions royally backfired.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    I don't understand why was it made into such a big deal. Aussies have called others far worse. McGrath called Sanath Jayasuriya, a black monkey. Graeme smith's debut was the worst ever experience he , apparently had. A case of pot calling kettle black! Not saying what bhajji did was right, all i'm saying is they making a mountain out of molehill!
    I think Symonds flat out lied about the whole episode because of his desire to get Harbhajan into trouble and he couldn't handle it when he wasn't going to get away with it.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd November 2018 at 12:50.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Im one of the few people who is actually ready to believe Symonds was actually called a monkey. Indian fans did it. Tye players did too probably. We were not very aware of aboriginal racist slangs and Harbhajan surely wasnt a well read guy to have had hige sensitivity over such matters. Its one of thise things where the Aussies get to decide what is to be taken offense to and what not to. They said worse things on record to people.

    For Symonds, simply for that weird lipstick he used to put up he looked like a monkey. Everyone called Umar Akmal a monkey for the same reason ans never got accused of racism.

    Point here is that Symonds faced the abuse in India and had warned Indian cricketers of not repeating it. But then we went to Australia and this guy is one of the most vocal and abusive Aussie fielders. What is he expecting? Bhajji gave in to the provocations and called him a monkey again. He was asking for it and blowing it out of all proportions royally backfired.
    Pakistani's get called ****'s in England, they don't complain like Symonds, they get on with things.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Pakistani's get called ****'s in England, they don't complain like Symonds, they get on with things.
    And if they do they dont blow it out of proportions by taking matters to a court outside ICC's realm. It was a great win for the entire subcontinent when BCCI smashed Aussie arguement on monkeygate. They thought they'd break Bhajji apart and he ended up on top in court amd on field both. Respect to Bhajji for showing the fight and getting totally under their skin and beating them down.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    And if they do they dont blow it out of proportions by taking matters to a court outside ICC's realm. It was a great win for the entire subcontinent when BCCI smashed Aussie arguement on monkeygate. They thought they'd break Bhajji apart and he ended up on top in court amd on field both. Respect to Bhajji for showing the fight and getting totally under their skin and beating them down.
    Lol he didn't just beat Symonds on the Cricket field but beat him in life as well.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    1,367
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    I doubt even Indian fans ever liked Harbhajan.. From what I gather, he has always been seen as a troll, much like Sreesanth.
    I agree he is not much liked in India because of his behaviour. But he hasn't done anything wrong in this case. So BCCI fully backed him.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Runs
    1,781
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I think Symonds flat out lied about the whole episode because of his desire to get Harbhajan into trouble and he couldn't handle it when he wasn't going to get away with it.
    Yes, Symonds went and cried to Ponting and Ponting would have usually let it go, but since the test had already spiced up and spirit of the game came into question, Ponting and ACB decided to play the race card and how spectacularly did it backfire!


    "Don't get attached to anything you're not willing to walk out in 30 seconds" Neil McCauley, Heat

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    804
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OP "its a sad sad story"

    Sorry it didnt make me sad at all.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    37
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=freelance_cricketer;9969688]Im one of the few people who is actually ready to believe Symonds was actually called a monkey. Indian fans did it. Tye players did too probably. We were not very aware of aboriginal racist slangs

    Symonds is not Aboriginal, he’s half West Indian and British ����

  27. #27
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    Yes, Symonds went and cried to Ponting and Ponting would have usually let it go, but since the test had already spiced up and spirit of the game came into question, Ponting and ACB decided to play the race card and how spectacularly did it backfire!
    Ponting wasn't all that fussed about the whole thing. He actually didn't have time for Symonds. Symond's relationship with the entire Australian squad including his once best friend Michael Clarke completely deteriorated because he was miffed that they were least bothered by his temper tantrums and drama. Even Brett Lee has denied Harbhajan used any racially offensive language. The whole thing was Symond's word against Harbhajan with no other witnesses, the Australian squad was just acting on what Symonds had told them and the moment they saw that they were not going to be able to bully the BCCI, they wisely stepped aside from a losing cause leaving Andrew Symonds frustrated for life that he came out to be the bigger buffoon in the whole episode.

  28. #28
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    3,392
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally back Harbhajan on this one, Symonds is a pathetic liar and bully. Very happy to see him being put in place by the brown guys.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...586-2017-03-14

    Michael Clarke himself says Andrew Symonds should not have stretched the incident too far.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Have no time for this ***** Symonds. He does not even have the slightest inkling on the kind of pressures that Pakistani players face with respect to their own cricket board, the fact they come from impoverished families and how them getting into the team, staying in the team is uplifting the life styles of all their family members and how much they all depend on them, a player who has ended up playing for Pakistan is always on edge because being dropped from the national team means going back to the low paying domestic cricket.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Symonds is not Aboriginal, he’s half West Indian and British ����
    Yes. Nobody knew and cared either. The Aussies played the whole aboroginal card to frame Bhajji. The people who wiped out an entire indigenous population to the brink of extinction. How real!

    No wonder the fell on their face and faced humiliation.

    Not only Symonds but Ponting's legendary run ended with that series. He was never the same again.

    Bhaj turned into more of a batsman after the series and had a great run for a while before his lack of wickets became unbearable for the management.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    19,833
    Mentioned
    1378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even if Harbajhan called him a money i dont care.

    Its funny how Aussies are the ones who dictate how sledging would be done. In their culture racism is not ok, thus no racism but they would still go on insult mothers of others players. While in our culture insulting parents is not ok.

    Just hypocrisy. Indians don't sledge just for the sake of it, they do it when the opposition starts acting like an idiot. Australia has a history. if Australians dont want others to be insulting them, then do us a favor, why not behave yourself first.


    The first and only PM of Pakistan to lose the peoples confidence = Imran Khan

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    835
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symonds is a despicable individual. He deserved the downward spiral. It was poetic justice.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One bully outdid the other. Symonds might till this day believe in his heart that Harbhajan did indeed call him a monkey. And it's very much possible that Harbhajan instead called him 'Maa Ki' which he mistook for monkey. At the end of the day, only Harbhajan knows what's the truth.

    Funny how some people say that Harbhajan was indeed guilty. How exactly do you know? Is there any stump mic recording that confirms this? Or were you present near Harbhajan when it happened?

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Even if Harbajhan called him a money i dont care.

    Its funny how Aussies are the ones who dictate how sledging would be done. In their culture racism is not ok, thus no racism but they would still go on insult mothers of others players. While in our culture insulting parents is not ok.

    Just hypocrisy. Indians don't sledge just for the sake of it, they do it when the opposition starts acting like an idiot. Australia has a history. if Australians dont want others to be insulting them, then do us a favor, why not behave yourself first.
    Rodney Marsh once asked Ian Botham, "So how is your wife, and my kids?"

    That should be automatically accepted by the opposition. Why? Because the Aussies believe so. And they will be the ones to decide what's acceptable by them and what is not.

    Would be hilarious if an Aussie ever tries saying something like that to Kohli

  36. #36
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    9,628
    Mentioned
    2317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    Yes, Symonds went and cried to Ponting and Ponting would have usually let it go, but since the test had already spiced up and spirit of the game came into question, Ponting and ACB decided to play the race card and how spectacularly did it backfire!
    Ponting himself had axe to grind against Harbhajan. Harbhajan got him out more than any other bowler. Ponting fell for Duck 3 times against Harbhajan. No other bowler did that.

    Bowler Span Mat Dis Mat/Dis Ave 0s
    Harbhajan Singh (INDIA) 1998-2010 14 10 1.4 22.3 3
    D Gough (ENG) 1997-2001 9 8 1.12 32.12 0
    A Kumble (INDIA) 1996-2008 17 7 2.42 88.57 0
    I Sharma (INDIA) 2008-2012 12 7 1.71 32.42 0
    JH Kallis (ICC/SA) 1997-2012 26 6 4.33 44.66 0
    M Ntini (SA) 2001-2009 15 6 2.5 34.16 1
    WPUJC Vaas (SL) 1995-2007 11 6 1.83 41.83 0
    M Morkel (SA) 2008-2012 10 6 1.66 49.16 2
    SJ Harmison (ENG/ICC) 2002-2009 17 5 3.4 54.4 0
    Z Khan (INDIA) 2001-2012 16 5 3.2 82.2 0
    A Flintoff (ENG/ICC) 2005-2009 15 5 3 28.4 1
    KAJ Roach (WI) 2009-2012 6 5 1.2 31.4 0
    JM Anderson (ENG) 2006-2010 12 4 3 6 1
    CS Martin (NZ) 2001-2011 12 4 3 51.5 0
    SM Pollock (SA) 1997-2006 11 4 2.75 57.5 0
    DW Steyn (SA) 2008-2012 11 4 2.75 9 1
    CA Walsh (WI) 1996-2001 9 4 2.25 33.5 0
    CL Cairns (NZ) 1997-2001 6 4 1.5 12.75 0
    HMRKB Herath (SL) 1999-2011 5 4 1.25 23.25 0
    Mohammad Amir (PAK) 2009-2010 4 4 1 78.25 0
    MJ Hoggard (ENG) 2002-2006 12 3 4 126.66 0
    AR Caddick (ENG) 1997-2003 11 3 3.66 7 0
    M Muralitharan (ICC/SL) 1995-2007 11 3 3.66 61 0
    AF Giles (ENG) 2001-2006 9 3 3 77.66 0
    Shoaib Akhtar (PAK) 1998-2005 9 3 3 4.66 1
    SCJ Broad (ENG) 2009-2010 7 3 2.33 41.33 0
    C White (ENG) 2001-2002 7 3 2.33 81 0
    PL Harris (SA) 2008-2009 6 3 2 47.33 0
    Mohammad Asif (PAK) 2005-2010 6 3 2 21 1
    TG Southee (NZ) 2008-2011 6 3 2 5 0
    Waqar Younis (PAK) 1999-2002 4 3 1.33 97 1


    Aaj ka kaam kal karo, Kal ka kaam parson. Aisi bhi jaldi kya hai, Jab jeena hai barson.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    7,916
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Rodney Marsh once asked Ian Botham, "So how is your wife, and my kids?"

    That should be automatically accepted by the opposition. Why? Because the Aussies believe so. And they will be the ones to decide what's acceptable by them and what is not.

    Would be hilarious if an Aussie ever tries saying something like that to Kohli
    You missed out the golden reply : 'The wife's fine, but the kids are ret*rd*d.'

    Ideally, that's how you deal with bullies. I admit most players from the subcontinent have issues with the language and can't be expected to retort instinctively.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,114
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EliteCynical View Post
    I don't understand why was it made into such a big deal. Aussies have called others far worse. McGrath called Sanath Jayasuriya, a black monkey. Graeme smith's debut was the worst ever experience he , apparently had. A case of pot calling kettle black! Not saying what bhajji did was right, all i'm saying is they making a mountain out of molehill!
    When did McGrath-Jayasuriya incident happen?

    I think it was Darren Lehman who made the racial remark against another SL great,Murali https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/23...for-abuse.html

    Or was it some other incident?

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post
    When did McGrath-Jayasuriya incident happen?

    I think it was Darren Lehman who made the racial remark against another SL great,Murali https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/23...for-abuse.html

    Or was it some other incident?
    The McGrath-Jayasuriya happened way before that. Jayasuriya accused McGrath of calling him a black monkey. Of course McGrath denied.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    6,885
    Mentioned
    512 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Aussies are cry babies. Im sure they have said worse things to the opposition over the years.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    You missed out the golden reply : 'The wife's fine, but the kids are ret*rd*d.'

    Ideally, that's how you deal with bullies. I admit most players from the subcontinent have issues with the language and can't be expected to retort instinctively.
    Bhai Ji, let imagine a hypothetical scenario. If any lowlife says that to you or me in real life, what our reactions would be? I bet that person would be lucky to escape with his soul, if it were in the case with you. Same with me. In case of cricketers, they don't have the liberty to retaliate like us laymen, hence their they are professionals an hence their reactions aren't as severe.

    My point here is that the Aussies will be the ones deciding what's acceptable or not for the opponent to say, and that would be according to their culture. But when it comes to others i.e Bhajji, it's them who'll decide what's acceptable to them or not. In our Desi culture, no abuse can be worse than abusing someone's family. But the Aussies are perfectly fine with them abusing other's family. Why? Because it's acceptable by their culture to hurl abuses at each other's families. But one should not use the tewm monkey against them because it is deemed racial insult according to them. Never mind the fact that it's a widely used term in our Desi culture for kids who are mischievous. The word monkey has no racial ramifications in our culture at all.

    In the end, the Aussies will decide what's acceptable to them, and what should be acceptable to their opponents
    Last edited by Hitman; 2nd November 2018 at 17:18.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    4,773
    Mentioned
    466 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Symo surely did not have any problems playing alongside Harbi for Mumbai Indians and I believe he was also the captain . So much for the fake holier than thou attitude.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 2nd November 2018 at 21:16.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    4,822
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    I agree he is not much liked in India because of his behaviour. But he hasn't done anything wrong in this case. So BCCI fully backed him.
    In all fairness, he did probably say those words to Sumonds.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    18,300
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Symonds the boy with an angel mouth..


    "You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,854
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    I doubt even Indian fans ever liked Harbhajan.. From what I gather, he has always been seen as a troll, much like Sreesanth.
    Harby strikes me as a good guy. Symonds was a complete tool.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post


    Symonds the boy with an angel mouth..
    That what he has always been. I saw him and the Australian team from close in the 2003 match between New Zealand and Australia in my hometown of Guwahati. The less said about his attitude and his team mates regarding the fans, the better it is. Him and Hayden. The less said the better. Compared to what the New Zealand captain, Stephen Fleming did for the fans. Not to mention the other New Zealand players. They didn't have to, but they did. I'm a living testimony of how nice the New Zealand players back then were, and how obnoxious the Australian players were. The only Australian player who acted like a human was Gilly. He was rested for the match. Yet he acted like a decent human being with the fans.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    6,375
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ACB bent backwards to the BCCI but Symonds should have shown greater stoicism.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    18,300
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    That what he has always been. I saw him and the Australian team from close in the 2003 match between New Zealand and Australia in my hometown of Guwahati. The less said about his attitude and his team mates regarding the fans, the better it is. Him and Hayden. The less said the better. Compared to what the New Zealand captain, Stephen Fleming did for the fans. Not to mention the other New Zealand players. They didn't have to, but they did. I'm a living testimony of how nice the New Zealand players back then were, and how obnoxious the Australian players were. The only Australian player who acted like a human was Gilly. He was rested for the match. Yet he acted like a decent human being with the fans.
    Let me sum up the 2008 India vs Aus test match:

    During the match:

    Harbhajan: Good ball Brett, taps Brett on the Back

    Brett Lee: Thanks mate

    Symonds: **** OFF D***HEAD WE ARE NOT HERE TO MAKE FRIENDS

    Brett Lee: *Looks Puzzled*

    Harbhajan: *Looks at Symonds*

    Symonds: *Keeps yapping again*

    Harbahajan: Get you lost you Monkey or Tera Maaki

    Symonds: Ahhh Call me a Monkey I am going to rat on you and get you suspended

    Hayden: You have a witness now champ to Harbhajan, I heard you say that, its a shi** word...


    Harbhajan: Listen, I didn't start anything..

    Hayden: Doesnt matter its a shi* word.....


    After affect, goes to hearing, Harbhajan gets off scott free, justice served...


    Symonds:::: NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I am now going to drink and ruin my life because I was the idiot who started it all and I cant take it when the retaliator got away with it. NO NO NON NO NO NO, NOt FAIRRRRRRRRRRRRR...


    Fan Reaction:::


    JUSTICE FOR SYMO, its not FAIR, he should be able to do whatever he wants on the field and get away with it, NOT FAIR
    Last edited by MenInG; 3rd November 2018 at 11:13.


    "You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

  49. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    178,653
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)








    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  50. #50
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    15,668
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post






    Indians in twitter are abusing Tino Best for replying to Bhajji.


    Self belief and hard work will always earn you success - Kohli
    What we think we become - Buddha

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So Symonds has ended up proving that he is a liar, an exagerator who can concoct stories. Hope Harbhajan continues to torture him by taking legal action.

    Symonds life is a living example of how one should reign in his ego and accept defeat gracefully rather failing to battle and control your frustrations and wrecking your life in the process

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    23,469
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why is his book called 'Monkeygate: 10 Years On?'

    Has nothing else happened in his life / career?

  53. #53
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Why is his book called 'Monkeygate: 10 Years On?'

    Has nothing else happened in his life / career?
    It will sell in time India, he thinks

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Runs
    7,323
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    LOL Symo doing everything to sell his book. Not likely to give him much traction though.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    10,575
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is calling someone a Monkey being racially abusive? I genuinely didn't know that was how it worked

  56. #56
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    23,469
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rose View Post
    It will sell in time India, he thinks
    It's a pity nobody reads anything these days.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    34,319
    Mentioned
    1185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Is calling someone a Monkey being racially abusive? I genuinely didn't know that was how it worked
    Certainly is in the UK. Being called a monkey or ape is the first racist insult black people get. It's all part of the social construct of white supremacy - making others feel subhuman.

    Perhaps it is not a racist insult on the Subcontinent. I remember Gatting copping some hate in the Pakistan press after Umpiregate - he was told he had the face of a white monkey, which he laughed off. But then, Gatting is protected by his white privilege.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    34,319
    Mentioned
    1185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Pakistani's get called ****'s in England, they don't complain like Symonds, they get on with things.
    They should complain to the Police, as they are protected from hate speech.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    It's a pity nobody reads anything these days.
    Yeah, I mean this is hardly new ground in any case. It just resurfaces every time India is touring Australia. The guys that package this series think it represents some kind of origin story to the rivalry. That’s ridiculous considering there’s far more to talk about

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    55,251
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I actually came here to say that Harbhajan apologised to Symonds long time ago and even broke into tears. I watched Synonds saying that in an interview some weeks ago. I thought that was the end of the matter.

    But now I see a tweet from Harbhajan above outrightly denying that story from Symonds. This is strange. One of the two is blatantly lying and whoever it is, it is a real shame.

    We do not know who is lying. It is one man’s word against the other unless there is a witness involved. Talking about the apology incident in an IPL party as shared by Symonds.

    Havinggn said that Tino Best needs to stop acting like a little girl preying for attention. You are old and you are bald. Please mind the windows, Tino!

    Bhaijaan

  61. #61
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    They should complain to the Police, as they are protected from hate speech.

    Notwithstanding the original comment which is charactaristically bereft of logic or fact, I am not sure if complaint to the police is the best use of either party’s time and resource. The laws are on the books and they should serve as deterrent and certainly in most environments there’s plenty of self policing.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    22,848
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Is calling someone a Monkey being racially abusive? I genuinely didn't know that was how it worked

    Yes. Yes it is, in a certain context.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    I actually came here to say that Harbhajan apologised to Symonds long time ago and even broke into tears. I watched Synonds saying that in an interview some weeks ago. I thought that was the end of the matter.

    But now I see a tweet from Harbhajan above outrightly denying that story from Symonds. This is strange. One of the two is blatantly lying and whoever it is, it is a real shame.

    We do not know who is lying. It is one man’s word against the other unless there is a witness involved. Talking about the apology incident in an IPL party as shared by Symonds.

    Havinggn said that Tino Best needs to stop acting like a little girl preying for attention. You are old and you are bald. Please mind the windows, Tino!

    Bhaijaan
    Harbhajan has solid grounds to sue Symonds for libel and defamation. Symonds has now lied about him twice in a span of 11 years. By alleging Harbhajan apologized, Symonds is insinuating that Bhajji accepted the racism charge and was apologizing out of guilt.

  64. #64
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    35,167
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    They should complain to the Police, as they are protected from hate speech.
    To a point. As Raheem Stering has pointed out, the racism is a lot more subtle now, in some ways that is worse.

    As for Harbajhan calling Symonds a monkey, that is absolutely shameful if true.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  65. #65
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,370
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Harbhajan has solid grounds to sue Symonds for libel and defamation. Symonds has now lied about him twice in a span of 11 years. By alleging Harbhajan apologized, Symonds is insinuating that Bhajji accepted the racism charge and was apologizing out of guilt.
    Symonds made the remarks in Australia, no chance that Harby can sue him. Australia have not gone down the sue everyone for everything path.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Symonds made the remarks in Australia, no chance that Harby can sue him. Australia have not gone down the sue everyone for everything path.
    What logic is this? So what if Symonds made the remarks in Australia or anywhere in the world? Harbhajan can easily sue him in an Australian court

  67. #67
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,370
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    What logic is this? So what if Symonds made the remarks in Australia or anywhere in the world? Harbhajan can easily sue him in an Australian court
    Think hard about how many times you have heard of people going to court over libel laws in Australia, its not going to happen.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Think hard about how many times you have heard of people going to court over libel laws in Australia, its not going to happen.
    So there is no rule of law in Australia and there is no respect for courts there?

  69. #69
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,370
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    So there is no rule of law in Australia and there is no respect for courts there?
    Not when it comes to trivial things like this.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    23,469
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    What logic is this? So what if Symonds made the remarks in Australia or anywhere in the world? Harbhajan can easily sue him in an Australian court
    Why sue when you can just make someone look a fool on Twitter, anytime, anywhere?

  71. #71
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    10,487
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)


  72. #72
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    34,319
    Mentioned
    1185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    To a point. As Raheem Stering has pointed out, the racism is a lot more subtle now, in some ways that is worse.

    As for Harbajhan calling Symonds a monkey, that is absolutely shameful if true.
    Yeah, the racists are clever and apply microaggression and blow dog whistles.

  73. #73
    Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    3,392
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an attention seeker this Symonds, can't keep passing the buck to justify his own self destruction. I am not even a Harbhajan fan but feel for him here, his name is being unnecessarily tarnished. And Tino Best is a tool of the highest order, still remember his disgraceful behavior towards Shoaib Malik in CPL. Even Sania wanted her hubby to beat up the WIndian.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Not when it comes to trivial things like this.
    Am sure you guys want to make this as trivial as possible given how Symonds has zero credibility or evidence to support his lies but he deserves to be sued for blatantly lying twice now about Harbhajan

  75. #75
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,370
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Am sure you guys want to make this as trivial as possible given how Symonds has zero credibility or evidence to support his lies but he deserves to be sued for blatantly lying twice now about Harbhajan
    Couldent give a toss either way, our courts dont pander to drama queens.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    Central Valley Area, CA
    Runs
    261
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australian player's authenticity can be analyzed with the Boy who cried wolf. Extraneous of simply playing the game, they have done or resorted to doing so much questionable stuff that it is hard to know whether they're lying. They love to do it all under the guise of playing a "gentleman's game."

    It would be one thing if all these controversies existed among all cricketing nations, but they just always seem to revolve around Australians and the rest. There are exceptions of course, but that seems to be the general trend.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    1,367
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

    Good reply. I think that should expose Symonds for what he is. He was a notorious bully on the field and this should teach anyone a lesson who wants to go down that path.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,448
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Good reply. I think that should expose Symonds for what he is. He was a notorious bully on the field and this should teach anyone a lesson who wants to go down that path.
    This is even more criminal. Symonds is blatantly lying, fabricating and inventing lies in the media to portray himself as some victim and Harbhajan as the guilty party. Bhajji needs to sue him to put the record straight

  79. #79
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    3,766
    Mentioned
    973 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow people seriously get riled up by "monkey"?

    Symonds, seriously, what are you, nine or something?

    Best example of making a mountain out of a molehill.

    All this victim mentality stuff coming from an Australian is equally hilarious

  80. #80
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    178,653
    Mentioned
    2939 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    ‘Lowest point of captaincy’: Ricky Ponting reveals what went on during ‘Monkeygate’ scandal

    India’s tour of Australia in 2008 was rocked by the infamous Monkeygate scandal, an episode which strained the relationship between the two countries. Ricky Ponting, who was the captain of the Australian team, has shared his experience in which he has confessed that the sequence of events which followed was the lowest point of his captaincy stint.

    “We all felt let down by the end result (of the the Monkeygate controversy). The fact that it got in the way of the way we played our cricket for the next Test match was probably the most disappointing thing,” Ponting told on the sky sports podcast.

    “So we go over there and India at Perth is game we expect to win and then we lost the match and after that the next few days things just got worse and worse,” he went on to add.

    The right-hander confessed that it was the lowest point in his captaincy as he was not in full control of what happened during the entire episode.

    “Monkeygate was probably the lowest (point in career as captain). Losing the 2005 Ashes series was tough but I was in full control of that. But I wasn’t in full control of what happened during the Monkeygate thing.”

    “It was a low point and also because it dragged on for so long. I remember coming off the ground during the Adelaide Test match and speaking to Cricket Australia officials about the case because the hearing was at the end of the Adelaide Test match.”

    Ponting has already said that he had cleared any remaining tension with Sachin Tendulkar, Harbhajan Singh and Anil Kumble during his IPL stint with the Mumbai Indians.

    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...0eAj1NuRJ.html


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •