Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Why has Mohammad Amir been dropped from the ODI side considering the World Cup is in England?

I was the looking at ODI squad aginst Kiwis and was surprised to not see Aamir's name in there. I know he hasn't bowled well of late and I also have to say that I don't follow Pakistan cricket as closely as I uesed to, but I will never buy the fact that Usman Khan is a better bowler than Aamir.

Aamir was brilliant in the World T20 win in 2009 and he also helped us win CT in England last year. The next WC is in England next year and he is a must there I believe. Conditions there suits his style of bowling. And even if he doesn't take many wickets he can be economical and his experience is gold to have in preassure matches.

So if he is not playing now how will he get selected again? Don't know if getting many wickets in domestic will help his cause but that is probably his only chance?

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He should be back by the Australia ODIs next year.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    He should be back by the Australia ODIs next year.
    Yes, he will be back and will for sure go to ENG for the WC!

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    I was the looking at ODI squad aginst Kiwis and was surprised to not see Aamir's name in there. I know he hasn't bowled well of late and I also have to say that I don't follow Pakistan cricket as closely as I uesed to, but I will never buy the fact that Usman Khan is a better bowler than Aamir.

Aamir was brilliant in the World T20 win in 2009 and he also helped us win CT in England last year. The next WC is in England next year and he is a must there I believe. Conditions there suits his style of bowling. And even if he doesn't take many wickets he can be economical and his experience is gold to have in preassure matches.

So if he is not playing now how will he get selected again? Don't know if getting many wickets in domestic will help his cause but that is probably his only chance?
    Why don't we implement a selection policy that actually lets us test out players to see how good they are at any particular point in time, rather than have to rely on personal convictions and dimming past performances. Usman has been a better opening bowler than Amir so far, and is averaging 15 in ODIs after 9 games, compared to 30 for Amir since comeback, which means nothing more and nothing less than that Usman deserves a few more chances. If he fails we can then try someone else and let Amir continue working on this form. Which has been frankly awful.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    865 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Amir will be in the starting XI in WC .

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chill. He will be back in South Africa.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir should not play games in UAE. Abroad heís a number one pick.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir is a nothing bowler.
    And we have got his replacement now :shaheen

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir outside subcontinent is a very good bowler.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    He'll be back for the SA series.

Getting dropped against AUS/NZ should be a wakeup call and rejuvenate him for the WC.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1710 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    It's simple.

A year ago Mickey floated the idea of managing his workload and skipping series, and there was a hostile backlash.

The reality is that his skillset will never work in the UAE. Too short, too slow. And as a leftie he can't just bowl straight like Abbas does - his deliveries pitch outside leg and can't get LBW decisions.

So he is being rested to keep him faster and fresher for the series in South Africa.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir isn't a shadow of himself from the past. He deserves to be dropped. People are having nostalgia syndrome where they live in the past which in turn distorts the present reality.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt that amir will be back for SA series and finally for world cup but how would other bowlers take it at personal level?

That they are made to do gadha mazdoori in hostile conditions of UAE and when it comes to better bowling pitches, Amir becomes an automatic selection. And considering Amir's chequered history and his recent ordinary performances, I am sure he will not be a darling of his fellow bowlers.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will be back

I think they are giving him a break. Amir himself seems pretty relaxed about it

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketDon View Post
    Amir should not play games in UAE. Abroad he’s a number one pick.
    So Amir should get a Disney princess like treatment while others toil on UAE pitches?

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he is chilling pakistan domestic at the moment. He wants to get back into the rhythm

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hmm.

I have a feeling that Amir recently going to a 3rd party bowling coach and publicly praising him BUT not the national team's bowling coach may have something to do with it.

Been punished?

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is being cotton wrapped for overseas assignments.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    So Amir should get a Disney princess like treatment while others toil on UAE pitches?
    Yes. If he ainít effective why bother? Makes no sense. Heís better outside UAE. Afraid to say it but he canít bowl well on UAE tracks and the drop catches donít help.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badsha001 View Post
    he is chilling pakistan domestic at the moment. He wants to get back into the rhythm
    Which team he is playing for and how many wickets he got?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul1 View Post
    Couldnít agree more. Let other poor bowler toil on those graveyard pitches while he gets to bowl in nice bowling friendly conditions.

Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. If he ainít effective why bother? Makes no sense. Heís better outside UAE. Afraid to say it but he canít bowl well on UAE tracks and the drop catches donít help.
    This is like giving rest to a Pakistani FTB Batsman during overseas tours and bringing him back everytime especially for tests in UAE. It sounds ridiculous.

Even Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami spit fire on helpful overseas conditions. So what is Amir bringing to the table?
    Last edited by hafeezrocks; 4th November 2018 at 08:01.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hafeezrocks View Post
    This is like giving rest to a Pakistani FTB Batsman during overseas tours and bringing him back everytime especially for tests in UAE. It sounds ridiculous.

Even Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami spit fire on helpful overseas conditions. So what is Amir bringing to the table?
    Well on helpful pitches no one can touch him. Period point blank. However a FTB on their other hand has still a high chance of getting out for nothing. Batting and bowling are two different facets.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well on helpful pitches no one can touch him. Period point blank. However a FTB on their other hand has still a high chance of getting out for nothing. Batting and bowling are two different facets.
    What do you mean no one can touch him? You are talking like he took a truckload of wickets.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because he's bee rubbish. He was awful in the Asia Cup. His stats since his comeback (especially after the CT final) do not make for good reading.
    Last edited by Arham_PakFan; 4th November 2018 at 08:21.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirforpresident View Post
    What do you mean no one can touch him? You are talking like he took a truckload of wickets.
    In The Pakistan side no other bowler is more threatening on a pitch fling a bit. Teams focus on Amir before the game. I think their are various factors to why he donít take as many wickets as he should.

Bowling Technique and the way itís gotten less and less like it should be. It seems like he lost motivation at the highest level. Also teams play his defensively and cautiously. This means batsman take less risk and reduces his chance of taking a wicket. When they attack the other bowlers they take more risk thus increasing the chance of the other bowlers taking a wicket.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lol if people actually followed cricket, they'd known how rubbish he's been for the past 1 YEAR!!

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    Lol if people actually followed cricket, they'd known how rubbish he's been for the past 1 YEAR!!
    How much cricket has he played for Pakistan during that time?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In The Pakistan side no other bowler is more threatening on a pitch fling a bit. Teams focus on Amir before the game. I think their are various factors to why he don’t take as many wickets as he should.

Bowling Technique and the way it’s gotten less and less like it should be. It seems like he lost motivation at the highest level. Also teams play his defensively and cautiously. This means batsman take less risk and reduces his chance of taking a wicket. When they attack the other bowlers they take more risk thus increasing the chance of the other bowlers taking a wicket.
    He shouldnt be playing for Pakistan if thats the case.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's been rubbish for a while and deserves dropping for a series.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He will be back. There's a reason why Kohli called him one of the best bowlers he has ever faced.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The selectors will have an interesting decision to make. Pick your best seamers for the World Cup - competition for places is tough and if Amir isn't in form or others have been bowling better than him, then he deserves to be left out.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was rightfully dropped due to his poor performance. I am a huge Amir fan but the country comes first, individuals don't matter. If other bowlers are doing better, they should be selected ahead of him. But I am sure that he will make good use of this break and will come back stronger and better.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Because he's trash.

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jul 2008
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heíll be back for SA but this ouster gives him good reality check and also gives team confidence about our bench strength

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He will be back by the SA tour. I'm sure he is just being rested as he was asking for a rest for so long, plus he looked worn out, as a pacer playing every format and every series for 2 years is not easy so the rest is better for him.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has issues to correct with his action. This is the right time to work on those outide the spotlight. He should be back for SA series. He's a champion bowler and will be one half of Amir-Shaheen phenomenon in WC

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amir has to be made to earn his place in the team. I personally like the current bowling attack. They carry no hype and go about their job to the best of their abilities

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good for him to focus on improving different aspects of his bowling in domestic and get back to what he used to be. He will probably get picked for the SA tour and most likely the tour to England as well before the WC. Unless he does really poor in England or something before the WC, he will most likely be in the WC squad.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Wellness Centre
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because he is the definition of garbage.

Gangster rap made me do it.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I think it is because, he had like 1 wicket in 9 games or something like that prior to when he was dropped?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching Sarfraz's last interview to Rameez I feel like maybe they're not considering him in the future eleven.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also for those who don't know in Amir's last two List A games, he has figures of 2/20 in 6.4 and 2/48 in 9.0

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He goes wicket-less again against Peshawar 14 overs 40 runs 0 wickets where as Abbas bowled beautifully against WAPDA. He went for 12-16-4

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummii View Post
    He goes wicket-less again against Peshawar 14 overs 40 runs 0 wickets where as Abbas bowled beautifully against WAPDA. He went for 12-16-4
    Looks like Amir is going the way of Sami.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post
    Looks like Amir is going the way of Sami.
    Not sure about it but yes sooner or later Abbas is going to play in ODI. It will be bad thing for Hasan as well.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If you remove that green mamba 2010 tour of England from his figures, how far do they plummet?

Is he better than I Sharma even?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    An inswinging Yorker.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    If you remove that green mamba 2010 tour of England from his figures, how far do they plummet?

What garbage is this.

And to everyone else saying Amir was never any good: Michael Holding and Wasim Akram are clueless and you lot know more then, is that right?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsha View Post
    What garbage is this.

And to everyone else saying Amir was never any good: Michael Holding and Wasim Akram are clueless and you lot know more then, is that right?
    After close to a decade since that performance, and seeing his effort across formats in other series, it is a fair opinion - he took full advantage of one of the wettest, greenest summers in England and made hay while the sun didn't shine.

Oh, and I hope you didn't Michael Holding's crocodile tears seriously. As for Wasim Akram, Amir being compared to him because of that English summer now seems laughable. Wasim made his career on sub-continental pitches where he was lethal, and Amir has conveniently gotten dropped from such series.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He can still make it back to the XI i suppose. Only SSA is a surety in this attack currently.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because he's been bowling awful?

Also, is a good kick up the backside to let him know that he is not undroppable.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ummii View Post
    4/40 for M Amir in 2nd innings against Peshawar

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

There is a visible change in his bowling action since his return and that is why he isn't as successful. Also, before getting banned, he did not only performed in England but was also lethal in SL, WI, SA and Aus.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if OP is being serious or if this is satire specially after the line of him not picking up wickets but still being economical.

Ok, Amir performes well in UK and at least one of those performance is like almost a decade old but since the is kiwi series isn't being played on England hence it makes sense to drop him. Since he isn't going to perform anyway.

Amir getting dropped is justified and was long due. At least now we have a bit less nepotism in the team and other upcoming bowlers won't get discouraged from seeing a non-performing, tainted player getting selected over and over again.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giri26 View Post
    I think it is because, he had like 1 wicket in 9 games or something like that prior to when he was dropped?
    At least he was economical, that's gotta count for something somewhere. Does a team get an extra point in the world cup for having the most economical bowler?

Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who only steps up for ďimportantĒ games against India or Australia as he put it should not be in the team. Should be giving 100% against anyone. He is a shadow of his former self. He needs to take Asifs advice. Itís not like heís old. Heís only 26. Work hard, bring back your pace, be fast and aggressive, donít be afraid of bowling no balls. Simple

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before Amir was banned. What was his pace compared to today?

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARK Rafay View Post
    Before Amir was banned. What was his pace compared to today?
    Before ban he used to bowl between speeds of145-150 kph , with some bowls going over 150 kph.

Now he bowls at 135-140 kph with some times going over 145 kph in T20Is.