Instagram

An evening with Shahid Afridi and Younis Khan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should such a bowling action be allowed in cricket?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 53.33%
  • No

5 33.33%
  • Not sure

2 13.33%
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] Left-arm 'swirling’ around bowling action stumps the umpire

When a spin bowler swirls around before delivering the ball, what what you as an umpire do? Do you call it a dead ball or let the bowler go ahead with his rather unusual delivery routine.

Something similar happened on a cricket field during the Under-23 CK Nayudu match between Uttar Pradesh and Bengal when left arm spinner Shiva Singh, bowling around the wicket trudged along to deliver the ball, only to swirl 360 degree, before bowling a normal delivery. The batsman defended, but the umpire immediately called it a dead ball much to the dismay of the bowler and the fielding team. Here’s the video.

According to the twitter users, who commented on the video, the opinion is divided. Dave, professional cricket Coach and consultant, believes that there is nothing wrong with the action, even though it – ‘Maybe not in ‘spirit of the game’ ’.

While one user was quick to refer to the rule books and stated that under Law 42 of “Fair and Unfair Play”, section 4: “It is unfair for any fielder deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery.”

Another user termed the action as an unwanted circus, while a few called it legitimate delivery.

What’s your take?

New innovations in cricket may not always be a welcome site at first. Think back to Dennis Lillee’s Combat – the aluminum bat – controversy in 1979 or Trevor Chappell’s smart exploitation of the loophole in cricketing rules leading to his bowling underarm.

But, despite such innovations being frowned upon and being viewed in the context of the ‘spirit of the game’, cricketers have always found a way to innovate. The switch hit, the back of the blade shot are a few examples that are now a common fixture in cricket.

Bowlers too have come up with their innovations with the slower bouncer, the knuckle ball and this year an ambidextrous bowler from Sri Lanka, Kamindu Mendis, also made his international debut.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...-umpire-763175

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is this a "DEAD BALL"?

This happened at a domestic match in India
    360 degree spin and umpire calls it dead ball !!

Why ?

If batsman can switch stances and play reverse sweeps or different handed (like KP or Warner) why cant bowlers ?
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 8th November 2018 at 10:40.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not a dead ball. Umpire's career should be dead after calling that a dead ball.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good job by the umpire.

Cricket is not a freaking circus. Tomorrow bowlers will be doing salsa and break dance before releasing the ball.

Who will stop them? Besides, it's already banned in cricket. Read:

under Law 42 of “Fair and Unfair Play”, section 4: “It is unfair for any fielder deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery.”

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    People bringing the irrelevant argument "but but but batsmen can invent shots! Sweep! Switch hit!".

Yes, they can, and they will continue to do so.

It's one ball that does a batsman and they're gone. A bowler gets 60 deliveries per ODI. And batting inherently means you defend your wicket.

There's no "rule" that defines shots - drive, straight drive, cover drive, sweep, pull. There's nothing that you have to play these shots with a particular angle, power, etc.

You can play any shot you want.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Good job by the umpire.

Cricket is not a freaking circus. Tomorrow bowlers will be doing salsa and break dance before releasing the ball.

under Law 42 of “Fair and Unfair Play”, section 4: “It is unfair for any fielder deliberately to attempt to distract the striker while he is preparing to receive or receiving a delivery.”
    The law is for fielders, not the bowler who the batsman is constantly looking at. And the argument that batsmen are allowed to be inventive is 100% relevant here. The field is set for a right hander and batsman plays a switch hit. Totally unfair to the bowler.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is allowed, then the fans itself will be the first ones to complain about how this is ugly to watch. Other bowlers will be doing ridiculous things to put batsmen off. The game would become a glorified circus. Glad that the umpire put an end to this nonsense.

Debut
    Mar 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Good job by the umpire.

Thats hardly a concrete enough rule.You could use it to unfairly pick on any bowler you want.One might end up giving a lose complaint that the manner of using the front arm is distracting the batsman.How do you even check that ? It might well be a vital part of the bowlers follow through.
    And who cares if they can do salsa before delivering the ball.

Afridi batted for glory,Afridi batted for his fans,Afridi batted for Pepsi adds and Afridi got out.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This video needs to be sent to cricket sledges and memes. Not even sure why this has become the subject of a serious debate

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, imagine this guy's condition after delivering 15-20 overs in sweltering heat...he is gonna pass out for sure!

I am split on the decision to call it a dead ball but it sure is unique...since he is Indian, he might be able to continue doing it anyway

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont know whether its legal or not, but after bowling 20-25 overs in a day, this guy might get a severe case of vertigo

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a good chance of bowler losing his radar and getting smacked for sixes with that action.

I do not find anything wrong with that delivery. Let him do all the circus antics and batsmen will have enough time to see this coming anyways.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with it. As a fan, I don't see a problem here.

Although umpire has way more knowledge than outsiders so his' is the last word.

Debut
    Mar 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez should try this next time against Ross Taylor.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    dont know whether its legal or not, but after bowling 20-25 overs in a day, this guy might get a severe case of vertigo
    That's what I was thinking. Spinning like that before each ball is definitely going to get tiring.

I don't see a problem with this bowling action law wise though. It's not like every bowler will be doing this, because as most posters are saying, it's just going to make it hard for the bowler as they will probably lose their radar and also perhaps start getting dizzy as a result of it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1719 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Its quite possible he doesnt do that on each ball - its his surprise delivery

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shiva is really clever bowler. He was part of recent India u19 team iirc. He bowls with many weird actions but is super accurate. And his main action is as Orthodox as it gets.
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 10th November 2018 at 17:50.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if he is allowed to pursue this action, how will he bowl 20-25 overs a day in test cricket?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket has become too harsh for bowlers.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    Even if he is allowed to pursue this action, how will he bowl 20-25 overs a day in test cricket without getting unconscious?
    Corrected!

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Would like to see both Switch Hit and Bharatnatyam Bowling together.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's legal.

It's also stupid and pointless.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    311 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Would like to see both Switch Hit and Bharatnatyam Bowling together.
    Wasnt Harbhajan's action a bit like Bharat Natyam

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found switch hit very pointless and high risk shot initially but now we see even proper batsmen using it to their advantage.

He obviously won't be bowling with this action the entire day but I wouldn't mind seeing a surprise swirl-action delivery bowled to a batsman.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about pausing in cricket. Isn't it somewhat similar right? Batsmen distraction means like "shiny objects flashing in his eyes" not bowler's delivery. Paul Adams had even more distracting action. Murali's eyes are huges distraction lol. You could pretty much call anything a distraction.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this becomes legal, then so should chucking.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India’s spinner to seek permission to rotate himself 360 degrees in run-up

Shiva Singh, a member of India’s victorious Under-19 World Cup winning team was not born when Trevor Chappell delivered the underarm ball (against New Zealand at Melbourne on Feb. 1, 1981), which became internationally controversial thereafter.

Shiva Singh believes that if he is “allowed” to rotate himself 360-degrees before delivering the ball, it would “draw positive attention”.
    UP’s left-arm spinner Shiva Singh’s delivery, which he bowled just prior to the delivery by rotating 360 degrees himself (against Bengal in CK Nayudu Trophy) was declared “dead ball” by the umpire.

“My next match is against Rajasthan (at Jaipur) on 14th and will speak to umpires and match referee before the match and will seek their permission to allow me to bowl such deliveries”, Shiva Singh, speaking exclusively over telephone from Moradabad, said.

“My “switch delivery” has more variations and it is difficult to read by a batsman. I don’t intend to use it frequently because then it would not remain a mystery”.

Shiva Singh has one more mysterious delivery to bowl. “During my run up before the delivery, I immediately stop (at the popping crease) and re-run a little and deliver the ball.

The umpires have not objected to this style of bowling and batsman often gets confused and loses his wicket”.

Shiva Singh’s father, Ajit Singh, also a former cricketer and who has also been his coach, says, “I have not taught my son to bowl such deliveries.

If umpires advise him to stop such tactics, I would advise Shiva to stop bowling in this fashion. The umpire was right when his illegal delivery was declared no ball”.

https://pakobserver.net/indias-spinn...ees-in-run-up/
    Last edited by MenInG; 11th November 2018 at 08:23.

When in Doubt- Act Stupid....... That's Pakistan Cricket for you.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaaik View Post
    India’s spinner to seek permission to rotate himself 360 degrees in run-up

Shiva Singh, a member of India’s victorious Under-19 World Cup winning team was not born when Trevor Chappell delivered the underarm ball (against New Zealand at Melbourne on Feb. 1, 1981), which became internationally controversial thereafter.
    Shiva Singh believes that if he is “allowed” to rotate himself 360-degrees before delivering the ball, it would “draw positive attention”.
    UP’s left-arm spinner Shiva Singh’s delivery, which he bowled just prior to the delivery by rotating 360 degrees himself (against Bengal in CK Nayudu Trophy) was declared “dead ball” by the umpire.
    “My next match is against Rajasthan (at Jaipur) on 14th and will speak to umpires and match referee before the match and will seek their permission to allow me to bowl such deliveries”, Shiva Singh, speaking exclusively over telephone from Moradabad, said.
    “My “switch delivery” has more variations and it is difficult to read by a batsman. I don’t intend to use it frequently because then it would not remain a mystery”.
    Shiva Singh has one more mysterious delivery to bowl. “During my run up before the delivery, I immediately stop (at the popping crease) and re-run a little and deliver the ball.
    The umpires have not objected to this style of bowling and batsman often gets confused and loses his wicket”.
    Shiva Singh’s father, Ajit Singh, also a former cricketer and who has also been his coach, says, “I have not taught my son to bowl such deliveries.
    If umpires advise him to stop such tactics, I would advise Shiva to stop bowling in this fashion. The umpire was right when his illegal delivery was declared no ball”.

https://pakobserver.net/indias-spinn...ees-in-run-up/
    That's good on him. Cricketing society is full of batriarchy