Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IPL franchises unlikely to support Virat Kohli's appeal to rest bowlers for 2019 World Cup

Indian skipper Virat Kohli wants World Cup-bound fast bowlers to be rested from next year's IPL but the idea mooted at a meeting with the Committee of Administrators (CoA) is unlikely to find favor with the franchises.

During a recent meeting of the CoA in Hyderabad, Kohli suggested resting pacers, especially Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar, from the entire IPL to keep them fresh for the World Cup. However, the India captain didn't find too many backers for his proposal as Board officials said franchises are unlikely to agree.

"The IPL is starting on March 29 and will finish on May 19. In any case, there will be a 15-day gap before India play their first World Cup game against South Africa on June 5. So there is no chance that pacers can be rested for the entire duration of the IPL," a senior official, who was present in the meeting, told PTI on Thursday.

In fact, limited-overs vice-captain Rohit Sharma, who was present in the meeting, also had a different take.

"When Kohli mooted the idea, CoA chief Vinod Rai asked Rohit about his take. Rohit apparently said, 'If Mumbai Indians reach Play Offs or finals and if Bumrah happens to be fit, then I cannot afford to rest him'," the official said.

Another official, who was present in the meeting, said it was "weird" that the Indian skipper was asking for all the key pacers to be rested from the IPL.

The official said a counter-view was raised at the same meeting. "Virat wants his two premier fast bowlers to be rested for the IPL but it could well be counter-productive as they will be out of match practice for two months before the World Cup," he further said.

Link: https://www.republicworld.com/sports...PnyvPnL-N9hPSA

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm disappointed. Can you imagine Bumrah being injured before the World Cup?

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasnít arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    I'm disappointed. Can you imagine Bumrah being injured before the World Cup?
    Yes I can because he was injured right before the England tour this year too. What Kohli is saying now I said it few months ago. But since I am not an ex cricketer and just an arm chair expert my views don't matter.
    @the_outsider

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant fault franchises here. I pay million bucks to own a team and want my best players to play in it. Why should I sacrifice my business thinking about world cup? Its easy to sit behind computer screen and say all these as a fan, but when you actually pay from your pocket you only think about your profit. No IPL owners care about world cup.

Also, from my interactions with Indian fans, in real life and in various forums, world cup is important yes but so is IPL. Some even rate IPL higher that world cup/ICC events. IPL brings out all the regional rivalry between a Tamil Nadu & Karnataka guys, fight between Delhi and Mumbai, battle between CSK and MI etc. People from small towns/villages etc. relates to it better than say a world cup game in England between Ind and NZ.

There is a reason IPL regularly have better viewership than all internationals since its inception.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no way the franchises are going to rest players after paying them millions of $$$$. I think Kohli's proposal was "dead on arrival". The franchises will not have it, the sponsors will not have it and neither will the fans.

The IPL has become larger than any ICC event. Look at the amount of $$$$ involved, players lining up to play, involvement of the fans of each team, eyeballs on tv, sponsors etc, etc.

So no way IPL will rest players for a "lesser" event.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI needs IPL shifted after the WC with a window approved by the ICC. Last thing you want is key players getting injured before the tournament. Unfortunately commercial stakeholders at BCCI and IPL teams have the upper hand here. India's cricketing interests are certainly not at the heart of the matter if they allow the tournament to be played before the WC.

If India was an average team then maybe you can understand but this team imo they're are favourites to win, so needs to ensure players are fresh and fit to play cricket's biggest prize.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USofA View Post
    There is no way the franchises are going to rest players after paying them millions of $$$$. I think Kohli's proposal was "dead on arrival". The franchises will not have it, the sponsors will not have it and neither will the fans.

The IPL has become larger than any ICC event. Look at the amount of $$$$ involved, players lining up to play, involvement of the fans of each team, eyeballs on tv, sponsors etc, etc.

So no way IPL will rest players for a "lesser" event.
    The WC is certainly not a lesser event than an annual domestic T20 event which is what it merely is regardless of how much money it brings in.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure Virat Kohli will blame the IPL and its franchises if we perform poorly in the World Cup.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    The WC is certainly not a lesser event than an annual domestic T20 event which is what it merely is regardless of how much money it brings in.
    Which is why I have it in quotes. Regardless, I think it's not just the $$$ (which by the way is very significant. We all live in the real world don't we). What is the demand? How many Indians watch IPL on tv, digital media, at the stadium, how much $$ is spent by fans on IPL vs International/ICC matches. Where are the Indians willing to spend their time?

The WC is no doubt the largest International event for cricket. But how many Indians think so? More importantly, if they do, do they back it up with spending their $$. I think @Canford_Cliffs has a valid point.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli and his hair brained ideas. He still hasn't caught on that IPL is 100 notches above the WC on every possible metric.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Yes I can because he was injured right before the England tour this year too. What Kohli is saying now I said it few months ago. But since I am not an ex cricketer and just an arm chair expert my views don't matter.
    @the_outsider
    You're talking like I was disagreeing with your on this topic, BVB. Which is weird since we have always been on the same page on this topic. Although I had told you earlier too that franchises won't agree.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's assume that the franchises are told/forced to rest them. Can the franchises also not pay them for the upcoming season? Are the rested players ok with not making $$? If not, will Kohli be compensating them for the loss of earnings?

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard to digest the fact that IPL aid bigger than the World Cup. Not in terms of value and legacy maybe but in terms of its financial and political clout. For any fan thereís no comparison. World Cuo over IPL any day of the week and itís not even a question but sadly IPL isnít one that bends the knee to make way for World Cup. Thatís how it is. They should have postponed the World Cup by a month or so.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's assume that the franchises are told/forced to rest them. Can the franchises also not pay them for the upcoming season? Are the rested players ok with not making $$? If not, will Kohli be compensating them for the loss of earnings?
    I believe so. Any loss of earnings will be insured by the board, if my memory serves me right.

John 3:16

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If county is so important why canít Indian players pull out of IPL at their own expense? Iím sure they can do that. Foreign players do it to represent their nationís in bilateral test series why canít Indians do it for the sake of a freaking World Cup? Explain to your Bhaijaan! @cricketjoshila

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    If county is so important why canít Indian players pull out of IPL at their own expense? Iím sure they can do that. Foreign players do it to represent their nationís in bilateral test series why canít Indians do it for the sake of a freaking World Cup? Explain to your Bhaijaan! @cricketjoshila
    I think they can. But the situation is different for Indian players since IPL is a BCCI venture. And Indian players are contracted under BCCI so I'm sure the T&C for Indian players in the IPL is different to that of foreign players.

It should still be possible but for Indian players there will be other factors at play.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Kohli and his hair brained ideas. He still hasn't caught on that IPL is 100 notches above the WC on every possible metric.
    He is fed up of his RCB fortunes I guess

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why cant they play both IPL and world cup? You simply cant skip a series in a fear of getting injured...that is negative approach. A player can get injured even in nets just a day before WC game. People are making so much hoopla bcoz the series is IPL.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think Kohli is influential enough to advise all squad members to opt out of the IPL auction/draft for this year and focus solely on the World Cup. Unless these players are contractually bound for many years then itís a different story

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not the greatest fan of IPL, but how is the situation different from playing certain serieses internationally as a preparation. They can get injured there as well. They might as well rest from now on.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The whole idea behind this is probably to use these players judicially! That's the reason I think Kohli made some noise! I think they will be rotated throughout! Key Indian players may skip insignificant matches (especially in the latter stages once playoffs are confirmed! It depends on which players' which teams' are in what positions!)

Also playing one key match (maybe finals!) and getting injured can be termed as accidental (can happen even in practice sessions or practice matches prior to world cup!) There is a positive factor as well with this (a pressure match such as a competitive finals involving TOP international players before the World Cup can lift the temperament levels of a player!)

Hence don't see IPL always in red eyes and think about some positive things as well it has brought to Indian Cricket (Better mental toughness, fitness, pressure-handling, chasing-ability/consistency, pacers, wrist-spinners, fielding, running between wickets, etc! Indian team were termed poor before in all these areas even at times compared to teams like Sri Lanka! The same so-called haters of IPL were also BIG haters of Indian Cricket itself & its players for these shortcomings!)

Also IPL won't postpone after World Cup because of their own issues! I think one of the IPL which happened after World Cup (probably 2011) took a setback because it was like an anti-climax after India's world cup triumph, people were little disinterested & the ratings came down! But World Cup after IPL won't affect ICC's event and will go down successfully! Not that they planned like this (IPL before WC), it just happened! Perhaps they wouldn't have minded IPL after world cup if it was scheduled so!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to digest the fact that IPL aid bigger than the World Cup. Not in terms of value and legacy maybe but in terms of its financial and political clout. For any fan there’s no comparison. World Cuo over IPL any day of the week and it’s not even a question but sadly IPL isn’t one that bends the knee to make way for World Cup. That’s how it is. They should have postponed the World Cup by a month or so.
    All cricket fans the world over WC over IPL anyday. But what about the Indian fans? Will they pick WC over IPL? If they do, then IPL loses all power. They will have to bend to wishes of the fans. This is a free market. The consumer dictates.

But since the IPL does whatever it wants to do, I have to assume that Indian fans pick IPL over any international cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good proposal. But, you can also keep the franchises happy by limiting bowlers to half the tournament only.

Rest them for the rest of the tournament.

Tamsha cricket does cause injuries for important events like the world cup. (All tamasha leagues.)

@Bhaag Viru Bhaag

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hard to digest the fact that IPL aid bigger than the World Cup. Not in terms of value and legacy maybe but in terms of its financial and political clout. For any fan thereís no comparison. World Cuo over IPL any day of the week and itís not even a question but sadly IPL isnít one that bends the knee to make way for World Cup. Thatís how it is. They should have postponed the World Cup by a month or so.
    If BCCI agreed to his demands, every other board would pull their players from IPL. This year it's world cup, next it will be because of Ashes. This would unnecessarily set a precedent. World cup has it's legacy and importance but from a pure business and financial perspective, can't damage the IPL brand as it's a multi billion initiative growing at a fair pace.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Good proposal. But, you can also keep the franchises happy by limiting bowlers to half the tournament only.

Rest them for the rest of the tournament.

Tamsha cricket does cause injuries for important events like the world cup. (All tamasha leagues.)

@Bhaag Viru Bhaag
    Can't see that happening. We have fans here in this thread also who prefer IPL over World Cup.

Bumrah and Bhuvi got injured right before the England tour this year. Kohli also had to cancel his county stint due to injury. If you are going to play and travel for two months in a row you will eventually get injured. Not to mention the toll it takes on your body and mind even though it is just a T20. Can't see them remaining fresh and hungry before this World Cup.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe the BCCI should consider reimbursing the players for missing out on the IPL for much needed rest, they certainly have the finances to be able to do so unlike the PCB

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Maybe the BCCI should consider reimbursing the players for missing out on the IPL for much needed rest, they certainly have the finances to be able to do so unlike the PCB
    The franchises are the problem.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4517 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Why not reach a middle ground by having them play around 50% of the games including KO encounters. Surely there is enough clout to ensure this. Otherwise Kohli should have those bowlers fake an injury for half of the tournament

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good idea but was never likely to happen as these franchises want to win.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't see that happening. We have fans here in this thread also who prefer IPL over World Cup.

Bumrah and Bhuvi got injured right before the England tour this year. Kohli also had to cancel his county stint due to injury. If you are going to play and travel for two months in a row you will eventually get injured. Not to mention the toll it takes on your body and mind even though it is just a T20. Can't see them remaining fresh and hungry before this World Cup.
    Which is ok. Everyone is free to choose as per their interests. Let the free market determine things.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    The franchises are the problem.
    The players have a signed contract with franchises. I am sure they are legally binding and will be enforced by the franchises.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The other solution is to have a workload management contract signed between the BCCI and the franchises for the players in question where they play the specific players in selected matches and only go full throttle with them towards the end of the tournament giving them sufficient match practice.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I have the win-win solution.

Ask some players to pull out of the tournament politely, pointing to the greater good. Some refuse? Great, they can go ahead and play - BUT at a price point 80% lower than their auction value. The franchises will be thrilled at saving bucks if the players do play, and the players will be incentivized to pull out and remain injury-free if they choose to focus on the World Cup.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1649 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Imagine if Bumrah gets injured in IPL.....

#Hum apko container deingaye dharnay ke liyay

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is absurd really. I mean IPL is good but playing the fast bowlers in a meaningless IPl just before the WC is one of the most absurd things.

I have said it quite a few times now that I was upset with IPL schedule next year. Why would you play an IPL tournament just before WC. It will be a huge fail for sure IMO, absolutely ridiculous because nothing is bigger than 50-overs WC and teams and players should do everything to save their players for that tournament.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gotta have a reason for the exist

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other solution is to have a workload management contract signed between the BCCI and the franchises for the players in question where they play the specific players in selected matches and only go full throttle with them towards the end of the tournament giving them sufficient match practice.
    Last I heard, this is the most likely solution that BCCI will come up with. Something like a 10 match cap for the league stage for every player. Can't remember which news outlet I saw it in.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Pakistan will also limit the amount of PSL matches Amir Shaheen Hasan Shinwari and Junaid will play in.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Why doesnt Kohli ask the players to sit out of the IPL? If the players decide to withdraw then franchise cant do much.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure Virat Kohli will blame the IPL and its franchises if we perform poorly in the World Cup.
    And you will concur with him on this.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Chandni Chowk, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

But since the IPL does whatever it wants to do, I have to assume that Indian fans pick IPL over any international cricket.
    You have to be joking. No Indian fan would ever choose IPL over national glory that ICC tournaments bring.

That's Bhaijaan's last post on the matter. @Bhaag Viru Bhaag will take it from here on my behalf. Thanks

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    Kolkata
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinFern View Post
    And you will concur with him on this.
    Hey! @Bhaag Viru Bhaag you will finally have a cricketer agreeing with your opinion! Congrats man! Never forget your first.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly speaking, India have got no chance in winning the world cup this time with the kind of middle order we have. 2023 is more realistic target. Just beating Pakistan on 19th june game in Manchester should be the goal and realistic target. Don't think players need to skip entire IPL for that 1 game.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is the second biggest cricket tournament in the world after ODI world cup. Teams have zero reason to listem to Kohli.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ipl should be postponed. Make it happen after 2019 WC.