User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why wasn't Shaheen Shah Afridi bowled for his full quota of overs for the 2nd match in a row?

This is my first post on this forum, but why wasn't Shaheen Afridi's full quota not bowled for the 2nd match in a row? Did the captain forget or something? or is it a tactical idea?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It is embarrassing.

Sarfi may have cost Shaheen 2 5fers

Bad tactics.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's bizarre really. Sarfaraz probably just got the maths wrong in his head.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tactical idea but a poor idea.

Probably thought Shaheen is a kid and cant take the pressure of death overs but thats not a correct way of thinking.

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz can't count.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy who picks up 8 wickets in two matches surely deserves two more overs...

Really dumb decision.

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Shaheen has possibly missed out on a 5fer for the 2nd match in a row, I think someone needs to remind Sarfaraz how many overs Shaheen has bowled next match! Tactics have been poor last few ODI games..

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the effect of age. Sarfraz can't remember the no of overs bowled by his bowlers.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They show the overs on the board, so no need to come the number of overs lol this isn't sunday league

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4841 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Don't question the tactics of a captain who has lost the last 9 out of 10 ODIs against the top half teams.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor stuff.

He should have bowled his full quota in both matches, especially since he's in the best form of his short career.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good strategy. He had already done his job. There was no need to burn him and keep him fresh for the next game. While kiwis were down, he gave others chance to regain confidence.

Best of The Best : Tendulkar - Wasim - Gilchrist

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4841 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricVet View Post
    Good strategy. He had already done his job. There was no need to burn him and keep him fresh for the next game. While kiwis were down, he gave others chance to regain confidence.
    Denying a young bowler the chance to take 5 wicket hauls in consecutive games is anything but good strategy, and bowling 2 extra overs will not burn him out.

It is simply lack of awareness from Sarfraz which is the norm for him in ODIs.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Venue
    MN, US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he wants options open in the end.

NZ was struggling with spin in mid 30 overs, so he did not bring fast bowlers but put Imad and Shadab in and they curtailed the runrate significantly. He wanted that.

When the fast bowlers came in the end they got wickets but runrate also increased. Today it didnt matter as much. Last game he should have.

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Denying a young bowler the chance to take 5 wicket hauls in consecutive games is anything but good strategy, and bowling 2 extra overs will not burn him out.

It is simply lack of awareness from Sarfraz which is the norm for him in ODIs.
    And how did you come to the conclusion? Why risk the main strike bowler injury when those who are down in confidence can gain some out kiwi misery?

Kiwi barely strolled to the score and there was no major threat could be perceived even with Taylor's presence for the slowness of the surface.

If it is up TO ME, I would give Afridi as many breaks as possible for the all important S.A. tour - Even at the cost of this useless ODI series in the worst place of the cricket world.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4841 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    And how did you come to the conclusion? Why risk the main strike bowler injury when those who are down in confidence can gain some out kiwi misery?

Kiwi barely strolled to the score and there was no major threat could be perceived even with Taylor's presence for the slowness of the surface.

If it is up TO ME, I would give Afridi as many breaks as possible for the all important S.A. tour - Even at the cost of this useless ODI series in the worst place of the cricket world.
    12 deliveries are not going to increase his chances of getting injured, but having two five wicket hauls early in his career can make a world of difference to his confidence.

In that case, there was no point in giving him the 9th over either. New Zealand were 7 down for 170 and Faheem could have bowled the 49th over instead of him, which would have given him additional rest and lowered the chance of him getting injured.

As far as your point that he should be given rest is concerned, I concur. There is no need of playing him in every match, but to not give him full quota in back to back games, when he was the best bowler on show and one wicket away from taking a 5 wicket haul was plain stupid.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thread is waiting for @Hawkeye.

Aj match jeet gaye koi to keera nikalna ho ga na kyun @Hawkeye

Sarfi as captain'll lead us to glory.Babar'll be our best odi bat & Haris'll be world class in tests

Debut
    Jul 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    12 deliveries are not going to increase his chances of getting injured, but having two five wicket hauls early in his career can make a world of difference to his confidence.

In that case, there was no point in giving him the 9th over either. New Zealand were 7 down for 170 and Faheem could have bowled the 49th over instead of him, which would have given him additional rest and lowered the chance of him getting injured.

As far as your point that he should be given rest is concerned, I concur. There is no need of playing him in every match, but to not give him full quota in back to back games, when he was the best bowler on show and one wicket away from taking a 5 wicket haul was plain stupid.
    Sometime records get sacrificed for bigger gain. Back in the old days, I commended Imran's decission to decalre inning when Miandad was only 20 short of 300 which is a bigger achievement than a 5 wicket haul. He will get plenty of chances in the future. I find these stats useless. A four-wicket haul is as good as 5 or better depending how and who one bowls. These personal milestones can also get to his head. I would keep his head as much on the ground as possible. You can argue every which way you like and let's agree to disgree.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarfiBabarHaris View Post
    Thread is waiting for @Hawkeye.

Aj match jeet gaye koi to keera nikalna ho ga na kyun @Hawkeye
    Minnows celebrate one match victory after a series of continuous whitewshes and series losses.

We can say they're improving if they win this series and the SA series.

Until that time, I'm far too realistic to celebrate.

Decent job today to restrict them though, credit to the bowling.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Minnows celebrate one match victory after a series of continuous whitewshes and series losses.

We can say they're improving if they win this series and the SA series.

Until that time, I'm far too realistic to celebrate.

Decent job today to restrict them though, credit to the bowling.
    Its a game bro, we get happy on every win and get sad on every loss.

Kher next target should be to win the next match.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz made a mistake by giving 46th over to Imad. Furthermore, Hassan Ali should complete his 10 overs quota before 45th over.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Sarfaraz made a mistake by giving 46th over to Imad.
    Yeah that was the mistake. One over too many for Imad.

Hasan has been below and out of form par wrna he has all the tools to be successful at death.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tactical idea but a poor idea.

Probably thought Shaheen is a kid and cant take the pressure of death overs but thats not a correct way of thinking.
    While he bowled 2 last overs in t20.It was dumbness nothing else.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was the mistake. One over too many for Imad.

Hasan has been below and out of form par wrna he has all the tools to be successful at death.
    Hassan has to bowl 6 perfect yorkers in an over(like Bumrah) to be successful at death which is very difficult to execute. Otherwise he will go for a lot of runs despite of his pace variations and that is because of his short height and medium pace.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1668 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    May be, I can give you a benefit of doubt for 2nd game as there will be decider (though I am not sure at 209 Sarfraz was that comfortable as it looked). BUT, absolutely no reason to save his 2 overs (for future), when Hasan went for plenty. At 211/7, Kiwis were 1 wicket away from getting all-out inside 50 overs and both Sodhi & Southee are big bat swinger - couple of good yorkers could have bundled Kiwis for <240 and now PAK would have been 2-0 up, Afridi could have rested for whole of 3rd game.

That was absolute blunder, which I called after 46th over (when it was confirmed that Afridi won't get full quota), and that probably cost PAK one game.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    May be, I can give you a benefit of doubt for 2nd game as there will be decider (though I am not sure at 209 Sarfraz was that comfortable as it looked). BUT, absolutely no reason to save his 2 overs (for future), when Hasan went for plenty. At 211/7, Kiwis were 1 wicket away from getting all-out inside 50 overs and both Sodhi & Southee are big bat swinger - couple of good yorkers could have bundled Kiwis for <240 and now PAK would have been 2-0 up, Afridi could have rested for whole of 3rd game.

That was absolute blunder, which I called after 46th over (when it was confirmed that Afridi won't get full quota), and that probably cost PAK one game.
    This. He kept on using spinners(Imad and Shadab) against tailenders of NZ and that cost us the match in the end.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malfunction in tactics it seems. It'll be absolutely criminal if SSA doesn't bowl his full quota.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Presumably because the sixth bowler bowled ten overs so there was no need. That said, I think SSA should have completed his quota; Imad was given one over too many.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1721 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Sweden
    Runs
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ikky47 View Post
    This is my first post on this forum, but why wasn't Shaheen Afridi's full quota not bowled for the 2nd match in a row? Did the captain forget or something? or is it a tactical idea?
    chota sa to hai shaheen umr main, thak jaata ho ga, sarfi bhai ko bohat khayaal hai juniors k araam ka. kisi ko khilaatay nahi hain, kisi say over pooray nahi karwaatay.

master stroke.

ya aenu chuk lay ya mainu aenu chukkan di taaqat day

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should have bowled his full quota.