User Tag List

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hasan Ali and Shaheen Shah Afridi: Why is the latter performing but the former isn't?

Hasan last year was one of the top ODI bowlers. If you look at him today, looks like he's lost it, struggling badly.

We now have Shaheen as well. Both him and Hasan bowl at the same pace, sometimes cranking up to ~143 kph.

If their pace is similar, what's different?

It appears it has a lot to do with their heights. Shaheen is close to one foot taller than Hasan!

Shaheen: 6ft 6 in
    Hasan: 5ft 7 in

Because of that angle, Shaheen is able to pitch the ball at good length a lot more than Hasan.

Ali is struggling and because of his short height, relies a lot on ball skidding. Which doesn't appear to be happening in the UAE.

What's your assessment?

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shaheen is in form and Hasan is not. That is all there is to it.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think its just the height difference. Hasan is bowling length even in death overs. Easy to launch him into the stands. In his earlier spells, he has developed a habit of serving a boundary ball every over. Hasan is bowling like Indian trundlers from a decade ago.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasan has been found out.

Success has gotten to his head and he's become complacent.

Even Bilawal Bhatti won us a game in South Africa but eventually he got found out too.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    No, it's not really that.

There are differences in how they're bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by troodon View Post
    I don't think its just the height difference. Hasan is bowling length even in death overs. Easy to launch him into the stands. In his earlier spells, he has developed a habit of serving a boundary ball every over. Hasan is bowling like Indian trundlers from a decade ago.
    Yeah, noticed that too. "hit me" balls at the death.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    657 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bujhee kom View Post
    Both are mediocre but SSA has novelty factor. Hassan is ****!
    I somewhat agree with you on the 'novelty' factor.

Haven't seen SSA swing or seam the ball yet. Might generate it in SA though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post

Even Bilawal Bhatti won us a game in South Africa but eventually he got found out too.
    I think Hasan can still do well on lively pitches. But his height will be a huge negative factor, always.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Height primarily I think. On these slow pitches of the UAE, his margin for error is much less than 6'6" Shaheen. Of course he hasn't helped his cause by bowling garbage lengths either but he hasn't been bowling as badly, compared to the others, as the numbers show.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not only Hasan, also Amir.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Not only Hasan, also Amir.
    Amir at least kept his economy down.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing which I noticed was Hassan was given 3 2 2 2 overs spell he is out of rythum he needs to get 4-5 overs spell. in third spell he was getting good reverse and bowling good just to get replace by Imad. I think he should have been given more overs there particularly if he could have got wickets and confidence can do amazing things to get back into rythum. I think we should persist with him in next match he got two wickets it’s just matter of time he would cut on freebies. For shaheen he has two opportunities for 5ers just did not got enough overs

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasan was good in beginning then he lost the plot. Bowlers need to work harder these days as teams closely monitor and work on the weakness of bowlers.

Another 6 months 'll tell if shaheen going the same rout as hasan or no. I hope Shaheen stays away from him and work on getting better everyday.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chokli View Post

Uff. What first impression Bilawal gave, those yorkers. Man he performed well

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Rawalakot, Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both are totally different bowlers. One is left arm bowler the other is right arm bowler, both bowl with different angles. Height is also a difference there. But above all Hassan Ali is not bowling at right line / length.

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hassan in form consistently hit the length hard his full and short ones were good surprise weapons currently he is either under pitching or over pitching

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hassan Ali is wearing a chain and that is affecting his performance.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    There is no such thing as form.

It is a mixture of Hasan Ali getting over confident, players getting used to playing with him, bowling poorly, while Shaheen is new to the scene so batsmen are still getting used to him, he has the novelty factor, and is also aided by his height and early signs of bowling intelligence.

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Jubail, Saudi Arabia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    There is no such thing as form.

It is a mixture of Hasan Ali getting over confident, players getting used to playing with him, bowling poorly, while Shaheen is new to the scene so batsmen are still getting used to him, he has the novelty factor, and is also aided by his height and early signs of bowling intelligence.
    Form, rhythm and momentum are all the constituents of your physical state of mind. Form is, indeed, a true phenomenon and exists in every aspect of life.

Also, don't think this has anything to do with Hasan's novelty factor being worn off. There was never any mystery to him (apart from his unusually skiddy pace). He didn't get his wickets through deception, but rather through straight, full and swinging deliveries. Being new to the scene doesn't make you bowl perfect yorkers, form and rhythm do. No matter how much players study that, you can't get used to unreal swing he was getting last year. He's just lost that rhythm post injury. I feared for this exact same thing when PCB had allowed him to participate in tournaments like CPL, BPL, and the t10 back to back. The eventual burnout was quite inevitable.

It's baffling that people are even bringing up that he had some mystery and that batsmen got used to it. That's just not the case. The issue is clear as daylight. He needs that form back. He needs a rest.
    Last edited by OmarKhan99; 9th November 2018 at 18:22.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    359 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hasan Ali is in some bad form. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Left armers are a different breed to begin with. Shaheen is showing maturity beyond his years here. He doesn't rely on tricks and is keeping things simple. He is pitching it up, bowling length and Yorkers at will and wherever required. Two deliveries stood out for me. The slow ball to Hitman that was dropped by Imam in the Asia Cup and the Yorker to Latham first up today. Kid will light up the world cup. If only Amir is on song, this could be a killer combo in 6 months.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    Left armers are a different breed to begin with. Shaheen is showing maturity beyond his years here. He doesn't rely on tricks and is keeping things simple. He is pitching it up, bowling length and Yorkers at will and wherever required. Two deliveries stood out for me. The slow ball to Hitman that was dropped by Imam in the Asia Cup and the Yorker to Latham first up today. Kid will light up the world cup. If only Amir is on song, this could be a killer combo in 6 months.
    Adding to my above post. Yesterday during SA vs AUS game, Rabada was smashed by Lynn in an over and was eventually dismissed on a bouncer in the same over. Shane Warne who was commenting then indicated that there are two options a bowler has when he's being smashed around. One is to bowl safe line and length and try for a dot ball or give him a single. The other option which Warne prefers is to continue to bowl aggressively because that is a great chance to get the wicket. Shaheen's slow ball to Rohit after being hit for a swivel pull for a six indicates that he is the bowler who chooses option 2. That's why I think he's matured beyond his years and is unafraid to execute his skills.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys need to respect and apprciate the players a bit more. Hasan is going through the 2nd year syndrome . This happens. SSA is a great talent and inshallah he will become a very good bowler.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SSA has just started so there really isn't much pressure he is carrying at the moment. Hasan, on the other hand, is expected to be among the wickets in almost every game after a stellar 2017 and therefore is carrying much more pressure. For those who want Hasan dropped, when the expectations/pressure rises for SSA and if he starts to underwhelm with the ball for a string of games/series would you drop him as well? Obviously don't keep out-of-form players in the team for years but you can't just throw away your players just like that, especially since there's a WC around the corner. For me, for Hasan to be dropped he'd have to showcase Wahab Riaz-10 overs-no wickets-for 100 something-like performances on a consistent bases.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasan Ali is indeed out of form or suffering from second season syndrome, whatever you want to call it but nobody can deny Shaheen has a higher ceiling because he can take pitches out of the equation with his extra pace, great height and his left arm angle which will always create more problems for most of the batsmen in the game who happen to be right handed.